[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions that don't deserve their own thread / QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 53

File: dSgCRXa.jpg (242KB, 2000x1236px) Image search: [Google]
dSgCRXa.jpg
242KB, 2000x1236px
What are some good european brands to look for when buying used? How are Opel Insignia?
>>
Do those things that you can use to pop/fix a dent actually work?
im talking something like https://www.amazon.com/Pops-dent-Dent-Repair-Popper/dp/B0015D88U0

Anyone tried something like this before?
>>
Brehs I want to spend the winter setting up a rally car. Really wanna drive, ever if just for fun. In my possession I have
>1985 mk2 toyota supra
>1985 Toyota mr2
>1993 miata

All in at least 7/10 conditions, stock af. I'm not 100% on these being rallyable but I also don't mind selling one, right now I've only got 1.5k saved. If nobody has time to type out opinions, can you point me to spots on the internet I can browse? There are tons of forums that are nigh dead. I've thought about
>old impreza, possibly a coupe
>dodge neon?
>some bmw maybe, could look good in livery
>>
>>17731158
Buy a $1 toilet plunger from the dollar store and go to town. They work but they won't fix severe dings or paint damage that comes with most dents.
>>
>>17731176
If it were my decision is drop the mk2 supra since i just don't like them.

Imprezas and lancers are pretty standard I feel like. Don't know a to. About rally, so I can't be of much help.

My question:
I'm pissed that there's no vw sportwagen r in the us. Would it be worth getting a 4motion sportwagen and putting in an is20 plus necessary ecu mapping? What else would need to go into that setup to get it to 250+ hp/tq? I'm also thinking about the alltrack model bc standard awd and can play with height. Just love me some fast wagons
>>
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ me and my bros want to pool some money together and get a car for $700 or less to use on trails what should we get
>>
>>17731265
If you need to pool money to get up to 700 then wtf are you gonna do when your water or oil pump shits the bed?
>>
File: IMAG0040.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0040.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
How can I restore my flaky chrome wheels?

I was thinking something along the lines of
>peel off big flakes
>spread paint thinner on wheel (will this damage the wheel? I don't know thats why I'm asking)
>sand wheel and get all the surfaces smooth again
>put on a few coats of primer
>put on a few coats of color of choice
>then a few coats of clear coat

Will this work?
>>
>>17731316
first of all 700 is nothing to us we are just putting it into a fun car for a weekend then we are scrapping it so we dont care if anything breaks
>>
>>17731521
paint thinner wont damage the structure of the wheel, and with the coats of paint and clear be careful not to spray too thick or you will get awful orange peel drip spots especially on nonuniform surfaces like rim spokes
>>
File: IMAG0102.jpg (178KB, 717x956px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0102.jpg
178KB, 717x956px
>>17731606
OK great, I was mostly worried about it eating the metal or something.

Do you think I could get this smoothed out with sandpaper and elbow grease or do you think my arm will fall off before I make any significant progress? I unfortunately don't have a grinder or wire wheel so sandpaper is the best I can do for now.
>>
>>17731629
i really doubt you can sandpaper that by hand without either gouging it or your elbow melting, i suggest you get some steel wool and see what you can do with it
>>
File: IMAG0232 smol.jpg (2MB, 1946x1459px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0232 smol.jpg
2MB, 1946x1459px
>>17731636
Steel wool sounds like it would work better yeah.

Purely subjective, but once I get them cleaned up and ready to paint what color do you think would look decent? I don't really like the chrome. I'd probably go with a glossy dark silver or maybe a bronze-ish color
>>
>>17731649
i think a matte or gloss silver would look nice
>>
how do i overcome the fear of working on my car? I'm afraid that if I attempt to fix something, even the smallest of repairs, I'll break something else in the process.

it scares me br/o/s
>>
File: 20170816_192646.jpg (283KB, 846x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_192646.jpg
283KB, 846x1080px
>>17730737
Wtf is this shit on my leather and how do I clean it
>>
>>17731938
just keep breaking things until you fix everything and have a brand new car
>>
>>17731158
>just fish thru ur Mom's/Sister's underwear drawer
>probably a dent puller in there

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nifM5acwgDM
>>
>>17731967
buy a thing of dawn to de-grease it and then use leather cleaner/conditioner
>>
>>17732178
Aight. I've been using saddle soap all day to no avail.
>>
>>17732188
that will work for after to help make it shine and protect it but probably cant rip the stains out
>>
File: image.jpg (788KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
788KB, 3264x2448px
can someone please tell me what the projector lens is being used for here.
>>
File: 62217_clutch_2.jpg (22KB, 450x263px) Image search: [Google]
62217_clutch_2.jpg
22KB, 450x263px
What would cause a clutch to shit itself even after a complete overhaul? My old truck got a new clutch and throwout bearing but now it feels kind of spongy and it doesn't actually engage as it should. I have to shift without the clutch.

If I press the stick toward where first gear is I can feel the truck lurching forward slightly. If I press it into where reverse is a grinding noise is heard. I read it can be the pilot bearing but I'm reluctant to drop the transmission a third time (the second time was to check the clutch plate hadn't been installed backwards).

Any ideas?
>>
>>17732712

also the cable is already properly adjusted, it's definitely not that.
>>
I was diving real fast in a hilly area in my crown vic, and the OD/OFF came on by itself. Did the transmission prevent Overdrive from engaging to preserve itself? Is that a feature?

NOTE FROM THE MANUAL
----------------------------------------------------
POWERTRAIN OVERSPEED PROTECTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) includes logic to electronically
prevent powertrain overspeed in any transmission selector position.
-----------------------------------------------
>>
File: DAtvZp7XYAAaaVT.jpg (161KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DAtvZp7XYAAaaVT.jpg
161KB, 900x1200px
Can someone direct me to a list of reccomended cars for New Zealand/Australia (Right hand).

I'm here for a few months and the sticky doesn't seem to apply here.
>>
>>17732895
Just get whatever rental car outfits have.

They will get whatever cars are cheapest to buy and cheapest to maintain.

Most rental car and camper van outfits sell of their old vehicles - give who ever a call and see what they have.
>>
>>17732932
Fuck me that's pretty clever.

Thanks for the advice anon.
>>
Why's it so god damn hard to find a 2002 IS300? There's 3 with over 200k miles in 80 Nile radius of me and overpriced. What's a car that basically is the same ?
>>
>>17733250
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org

>1995+
>200+ horsepower
>V6/V8
>RWD/AWD
>Reliable
>Sporty looking but doesn't have to be edgy
>$3,500 budget
>>
>>17730737
Will the basic GM drive cycle turn off my EVAP I/M on my OBD2 reader? Im getting mixed answers online, some people say its the same drive cycle as the others and some say the EVAP has a special type of drive cycle.
Can anyone confirm this?
>>
What are some things that would make a 2000 323i's headlights flicker? The bulb's been replaced and the connections seem good at the light itself, so I'm not sure if it's got some sensor that's taking a shit on me or if it's something even more obtuse.
>>
>>17733586
Just drill a hole in your gascap
>>
Knocked into some brambles doing around 20mph today after going back on my side, passing a parked car.
I have a couple faint scratches on the passenger side, is it anything to worry about, over than the unsightly look?
>>
>>17733784
I'd stay off the highways till you get it checked out man
>>
>>17733730
Thanks, this fixed it
>>
I let a buddy of mine borrow my 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback.

It started to overheat when driving it less than 3 miles, it was smoking under the hood, the exhaust was letting out white smoke.

He drove it back to my place while overheating, and when he got here, the check engine light came on.

The radiator fan doesn't seem to be working.

Is damage done to my engine, or is it worth it to diagnose the radiator related problem and replace the part(s)?
>>
1993 Chevy S10

>turn headlights on
>brake lights don't work
>use turn signals
>hear relay tick, but they don't blink

What do? Bulbs are good and fuses are good.
>>
>>17734169
>I let a buddy of mine borrow my 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback.
>>
>>17731176
Bumpan this
>>
>>17734169
The white smoke is indicative of a blown head gasket probably from letting the motor over heat. Do the usual tests - bubbles in the coolant, milky engine oil, white smoke from exhaust.
>>
>>17732602
to look cool
>>
>>17733258
you may want to look into the mid 90's bmw's
>>
>>17733704
could be anything from a bad fuse to a wire thats been damaged and is shorting in and out
>>
95 sc400 220kmiles $2.5k
Or
99 sc300 200kmiles $3.5k
Which is the better choice for a project?
>>
>>17734469
this or corrosion. Work backwards from the light testing for continuity.
>>
File: js.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
js.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
How far should i stay away from this, and why am i probably going to buy it anyway?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/moncton/1984-xjs-he-jaguar-v12/1272891838?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
Do dealerships careif i plug my own obd2 in when i look at a used car? Are they going to be like wtf are u doing?
>>
>>17734581
They'll be like wtf you doing?

Most sales people wont even know what an OBD2 reader is.

Really depends on the dealer.
>>
Is it cheaper/easier to swap a 350, or do a head gasket job?
>>
I need a fast car thats good on gas. Or the best of both that i can get. I was looking into some v6 cars but 17-23 mpg is pretty bad. Also id rather have a coupe and nothing older than 10 years. Budget is about 10k.

Also i do not particularly want a mustang. Theres soo many of them around here.
>>
How do dealers determine the interest rate when financing? Is it negotiable? My credit is 8 hundred somthing... What is an acceptable rate for that score? Is zero % a thing?
>>
>>17734615
Way cheaper to work with what you got. Pair of head gaskets are like $100 bucks max. For all you know whatever 350 you swap in has blown head gaskets anyways
>>
What is an ecu flash? What does it do?
>>
Educate me on car covers
is it worth it for an elderly car prone to rust and temporarily out of the garage for a few months?
>>
How can i troll a dealership that pulled the ol bait and switch on me? I called to ask if they still had a car i saw on car gurus. They said yes. I said ok im about 2 hours away be there in about 2 hours to look at it. i get there and they said the car sold yesterday and try to show me other cars. Fuck that i left pissed off. This has happened to me before at another place. The cars always seem to have been sold "yesterday".
>>
How long do air filters last? I bought a car brand new back in 05. Theres 130k miles on it and the air filters only been changed once long ago. The filter still looks new its not dirty or anything.
>>
>>17734675
Prius with turbo. You can laugh but it's true
>>
File: comb3.png (2MB, 799x1198px) Image search: [Google]
comb3.png
2MB, 799x1198px
>>17730737
>car makes ticking noise
>take it to mechanic
>could be lifter, dropped piston skirt, loose flywheel
>all common problems
>find flywheel is loose, ticking noise doesnt go away
>year down the road it locks up on the highway
>turns out it dropped the piston skirt, and the rest of the piston

Mechanic says he could have a motor in it for $2200. Or I could buy one for $1000 and do it myself.

He's told me its pretty straightforward job, and that I should get a new clutch while I'm at it.

Is it worth it though? It's a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.5 and 236k, it's a little beat up but I only use it on camping trips every month and put over 150k on it. Could I find another vehicle like it, a bronco II or another Cherokee for a grand?

Pic related
>>
>>17734998
Swap in a 4.0 and keep it for the rest of your life, or move on.
>>
>>17734695
The dealer inputs your scores and lenders will put in offers. Considering your credit score is at the top you will probably have a shit ton of good offers to pick from so take one that works for you.
>>
Are b6 passats any good used cars?
Im talking in eastern europe not usa where theyre more expensive. They look pretty comfy in the interior and some model got enough hp to keep me satisfied for a first car. But how reliable are there? And dont say "lmao vag" meme Ive seen golfs near 300k km
>>
>>17734725
It keeps interior temps down and makes cleaning it up easier.

>>17734715
Just resets the ECU to what ever tune want it, or back to the Factory settings.
>>
>>17734169
You're fucked mate.

When a car overheats you should it off immediately.
>>
>>17734206
You have a bad Ground, I had a 93 S10, the electricals are horribly put together.

Thank god I got rid of it.
>>
so theres this thing that from Albanian is literally translated to petrol + gas. as in it was initially a petrol car and then they added some kind of gas implant or something. it even has 2 odometers that show fuel 1 the original that was for petrol which is very close to empty and the other showing gas. Whats the right english term for these cars? Would you suggest getting them or what should I know beforehand? I think they do it to save money on fuel since the gas costs less.
>>
Are Ford Fiestas fun? I found a 1.6 petrol 2011 one with 100k km for 5600 euro. The only problem is that its an automatic and I dont want to regret it that I didnt get manual. The manuals are all 1.2 and 1.4 which is too little power.
>>
>>17735634
They are fun. But avoid automatics at all costs. The transmission is shit because ford's extreme budget DCT will shit itself thanks to it TCM which will require a reflash only at the dealer.
>>
File: MS40623_FRO__ra_p.jpg (22KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
MS40623_FRO__ra_p.jpg
22KB, 600x398px
comments on aftermarket tie rod ends?
My steering is weird and the steering wheel has a small vibration, and I factored it down to the tie rods. Rock Auto has these MevoTech and i'm unsure about non-OEM steering parts.

i drive a '12 Fiesta hatch
>>
>>17735822
Just get whatever you can afford as long as it has a grease fitting
>>
How come in the US, you can get original parts from regular parts suppliers whereas in Europe (Switzerland here but I think the rest of Europe os the same) they're usually only available through dealers? Is there a law for that in Murrica?
>>
>>17735905
why the fuck would we have a law about who can and can not sell pieces of metal

we let people buy european cars so it's not like we care about every car on the road only containing quality components rather than poorly made shit that will fail the day the warranty expires
>>
>>17735923
It's less about "who can sell" than "who can buy" - if the vehicle manufacturers are allowed to make vehicle specific parts only to dealers, then those will be the only place you can get them. And if dealers are the only (and thus cheapest) place to buy OEM parts and everyone can get parts from a dealer, there's no way any business can make a profit selling those parts because they'll have to buy them at the dealer where their customers can just get them at the same price. I noticed there's a lot of online shops for OEM parts in the US while there are none in Europe, and I know that in the US the manufacturers are required to make diagnostic tools/procedures available to indies in some way so I figured there might be something similar for parts, like a rule that forces car makers to sell their parts to all shops, dealership or not, at the same reseller price.
>>
Kinda New to this trying to find a service manual for my car kinda tricky its a 1975 buick apollo im hella broke and use this car as my everyday car any help getting that manual online or pdf would be awesome 1975 Buick Apollo Chassis Service Manual
>>
>>17735830
ok, sounds good. But what grease? Should I just pump in some general/all-purpose grease in the auto dept and call it a day?
>>
>>17736036
I think. I actually have no idea

The only time I used a grease gun on my car was when my neighbor brought his over when he helped me get my tie rods on.

I dont know what he uses
>>
>>17730737
>How are Opel Insignia

Opel's mechanical side is top notch, the electrical is pure shit.
>>
How do I know what the minimum RPM for each gear should be in order to not lug the engine? Is it just when the engine doesn't feel happy or is it before that? Is 5mph at <1000 RPM in second okay?
>>
>>17732712
Sounds like the clutch plate isn't disengaging from the flywheel.
You mentioned this is a cable driven clutch?
It might need to be tighter to fully engage that shifter fork.
Also did you use an aftermarket pressure plate?
Pressure plate might be to rigid to allow the dick to disengage.
>>
>>17733250
2003 IS300?
>>
>>17734169
Radiator fan failed, engine overheated, head gasket gone.
>>
>>17734525
Well if you gave a bottomless wallet then go ahead but if your struggling on minimum wage stay the hell away from it.
>>
>>17734581
You can ask and go ahead but they've probably already cleared the codes before they put them on the lot
>>
>>17734615
Head gasket job.
>>
>>17734695
They don't really decide, but may get kickbacks on certain rates. You have a really good score so dont take anything over 3%
>>
>>17734715
It's like installing a OS, you can install updated or performance ones. Or just "restart" the computer to clean up some errors. You needs special equipment and pass through devices to do it. I think the new Ford tool is like 8 grand these days.
>>
>>17734802
The recomend every other oil change or 10k miles. Did you actually remove the filter and look at both sides?
>>
>>17736117
Every vehicle is different. My truck would be dead at those speeds, but a 4cly might handle it.
>>
>>17734491
See that's kind of a problem. The sc300 is the one you want if you want to modify the engine but the later VVTI versions are less durable (especially for boost). The 400 is the one I'd normally get to leave the engine alone but I'd definitely want a 98+ for the increase in power VVTI provides. Can you find an earlier sc300 or a later sc400?
>>
>>17736221
Yea I'm probably just going to wait it out a bit longer. The thing is when either of these cars have under 150k miles they get priced ridiculously high.
>>
>>17734764
Go back and waste 6 hours of a salesman's time. Test drive everything, negotiate over the littlest shit. And right before you sign the final papers, just up and leave.
>>
File: 1477264477234.jpg (87KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1477264477234.jpg
87KB, 750x1334px
Considering turboing my engine. 2zzge with lift that kicks in at 6k. I normally shift at 3k. Where should i have the turbo kick in? I was thinking 3750
>>
>>17736557
>I normally shift at 3k

then get a supercharger because you are using nothing but low end power
>>
>>17736557
off topic, but what is your 2zzge in?

do you use premium gas?

I'm picking up an 04 matrix xrs saturday and its got the 2zzge so I was curious
>>
>>17736587
I was wanting to have the turbo for when i push it, to enhance the lift and help get up to it. I can easily push to 4k and shift, i just do 3k to save gas.
>>
File: sickmotorcyclehelmet.jpg (37KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
sickmotorcyclehelmet.jpg
37KB, 500x344px
>>17736650
7th gen celica, i use the cheap shit but switching is one of the first things i want to do. I garuntee people on forums for that car have switched, if not you could find it on a celica forum.
>>
>>17736117
By feel. You'll know if you're lugging if its having difficulty accelerating.

In most cars it anything below 10mph in second is lugging it.
>>
>>17736557
Where it kicks in is more dependent on what size the turbo is.
>>
>>17735584
You mean CNG gas?

They're called Bifuel cars. So long as the modification was done correctly (or at the factory) then it should be fine.
>>
>>17734169
>>17734395
>>17735442
>>17736151

Turned it on, no check engine light anymore, engine isn't verbalizing it's pain.
No smoke.
Let it run for a while, doesn't seem as bad, didn't dare drive it.

>look at fuse box, pretty good
>fan itself is working
>relays are good
>remove cooling fan switch
>buddy puts on new cooling fan switch
>he's tightening it
>he breaks it off

What do I do now?
>>
When I bought my car I changed the timing belt myself (no experience with doing car work before) now I think the belt us out by a tooth, but I don't know if it is or which way it would be. What sort of effects could I see if it was out?
>>
>>17737018
Buy a gun
Point gun to buddy's head
Pull trigger.
>>
>>17737042
Poor fuel economy, misfires, codes being thrown.

If its off by a tooth it should be easily remedied, most cars that TDC marks for the cam and crank.
>>
File: 1498240949044.png (236KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1498240949044.png
236KB, 808x805px
Why can't working on your own car ever be easy.
Every damn time I go to do something simple it ends up being a cluster fuck of epic proportions.
I'm so damn frustrated with this shit happening.
Every car I've owned has been a total cunt to do even the simplest tasks on.
>>
>>17736138

the cable is already properly adjusted, it shouldn't be that

it might have to be the pressure plate, it was one of those kits that you get at autozone in a red and blue box.
>>
My car kinda feels like shit, doesn't feel like it has that much power and throttle response doesn't feel the greatest. It feels like when i first got it and would drive with the AC on, the car would be shitty and feel like shit etc. Now it feels like driving with the AC on all the time really. Don't know what is up with it. Maybe i just got super use to the car i don't know, the clutch is not slipping but it definitely feels different.

Nothing is broken but the car def feels like it is sick.
>>
File: 81w+Rn0foDL._SL1500_.jpg (241KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81w+Rn0foDL._SL1500_.jpg
241KB, 1500x1500px
what does /o/ think about this universal spoiler lips?
>>
>>17736209
Yeah. Its still a bright neon green color. Looks almost brand new lol. Its maybe been in there for 5+ years.
>>
Should I bother trying to own a "Sunday car" in Ohio?

I'm at the point in my life where I have a dd, an ok job and could probably afford to trick out a clean 6gen Civic or similar and tool around on the weekends, but I'm just scared of something happening to it or the weather getting to it.

I'm tired of not doing fun car stuff because it's "not feasible to do stuff like that in Cleveland", and that's literally the only reason, knowing my investment would rust out within a decade if not sooner.

Should I just do it anyway
>>
>>17737468
Just buy a s10 airdam or Mach 1 lip.
>>
>>17737248
this

here comes my little problem: RENAULT TWINGO I (C06_), 58 PS, 43 kW, originally, the motor is stuttering on start, so then I decided to check for the spark plugs and air filter, if I can change them by myself

So I had removed the air filter, cleaned it and re-inserted and I had to disconnect 2 plug connections to the spark plugs.

Then I put everything back together and wanted to buy parts. Everything so far so good, only that I got a fit in between and then decided to order the parts online.

Well on the return I had then suddenly problems with the engine, in the middle of driving no gas was accepted, I'm no more over 30 km / h at speed. I stopped on the side

Again the filter dismantled and re-installed and then driven over side streets home, whereby I noticed again no problems with the gas acceptance.

Was the filter slipping and clogging the air lines? I dont know.

What could/can it be?
>>
File: z34-02.jpg (106KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
z34-02.jpg
106KB, 800x533px
>>17730737
Custom exhaust, how expensive for a triple s bend...3ft each bend
>>
>>17737494
you're an idot
>>
>>17737485
ah yeah and what annoyed me that there was no light going on, no signal on what or if anything could be wrong
>>
>>17737496
Why? you don' know why I NEED this.
>>
File: IMG_4853.jpg (1MB, 2625x1997px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4853.jpg
1MB, 2625x1997px
>>17737496
>>17737504
pic
>>
Is there any downside to using DOT4 brake fluid? It seems it's just better in every single way.
>>
>>17737601
You have to completely flush your old brake fluid and dot 5 is better
>>
>>17737612
You mean 5.1?
IIRC 5.1 is compatible with 4, but 5 cann't be mixed with any other, being silicone based and not glycol.
>>
>>17737612
Is 5/5.1 compatible with all vehicles?
>>
>>17737625
Yeah
>>
>>17737631
Whichever is glycol based that has the highest number
>>
>>17737631
No idea with 5, could cause some issues with seals/rubber gaskets.

5.1 is supposed to be compatible with 4, which is compatible with 3.

As with anything, just use what's on the reservoir cap and change it out every year - it's cheap as fuck.
>>
Could someone explain the main differences between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee?
>>
>>17730737
How does one learn about cars/ How did you learn about cars?
>>
>>17730737
How to get my miata headlights up without turning the lamps on ?
>>
>>17737857
>grand

there you go
>>
Where the fuck do you buy garrett turbos from?
>>
Gonna do my car's brakes tomorrow. Now my question, is it actually better to do the front and rear separately? As in, not in the same week or so. With the intent to make sure i have at least one side fully seated in/in working condition instead of doing both the front and the rear at the same risking potential braking power over the course of how long it takes to work them in?

It's kinda an old wife's tale, but so far i've always kind of stuck to it.
>>
File: apu kysymys.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
apu kysymys.png
29KB, 741x568px
>>17730737
There was about 15l of water in my spare tyre well and the car was about three weeks in direct sunlight. Now every surface has cotton like mold and a five minute drive causes breathing problems and headache. Is chlorine enough to clean it or should I just torch it?
>>
>>17738229
I've always done mine separately, but it's probably not the end of the world if you do them at once. Are you doing just pads or pads and rotors?
>>
>>17731176
MR2 would be your best bet. Simple mechanics, reliable engine, light weight and great driving dynamics.
>>
File: 20170513_210949070_iOS.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_210949070_iOS.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17733250
2002-2005 are virtually identical, but getting better the younger the car is. 2004-2005 had seat adjustment memory for instance.
Get a SportCross rather than a sedan.
>>
So when I get my car dyno tuned, do I get to tune it myself or does some dirty mexican have to do it? I really want to tune it myself since I can do it in under an hour
>>
>>17738270
Both pads and rotors. I've been hearing pretty conflicting stories all around. So with better safe than sorry in mind i'll just do them separately. Fronts first, make sure their seated in, than tackle the rear.

Supposedly for normal braking conditions it doesn't really matter. But with emergency braking it could cost you a couple of yards in total for a good week or two. Not gonna risk that.
>>
>>17738411
Depends on who owns the dyno i suppose. Usually you're not getting on without them having sold you a tune up.
>>
>>17737970
open the hood, on the head light assemblies there are manual hand screws that will raise your headlights.
>>
>>17730737
Looking at buying a 2002 Ford Falcon Futura, and a really common failure mode is the diff bushes basically going to hell. Is there a way to replace them myself? Or is it really a job that requires a mechanic and spending more than the car in question will actually cost?
>>
>>17738665
Yeah but it seems it does not work, as I try to use theses screws it makes some kind of "buzz" sound and they come back in place
>>
File: cheaptarboinstallation.jpg (167KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
cheaptarboinstallation.jpg
167KB, 768x576px
Besides maintenance, and keeping an eye on known weak points (which are basically don't overheat it, and replace plastic/rubber parts), how do I mek/keep my 20-year-old turdbodiesel 4 banger reliable? Replacing oil and water pumps are in the list, but only the water pump might need changing since it's known for cavitation damage

EGR has been disconnected, will clean the intake as soon as I can get all of the unobtainium-tier gaskets (this is why I want to keep it reliable, it's a nice engine with little aftermarket support), am also in the process of designing/testing an oil catch can to avoid it getting dirty again

Also! I want to add good gauges for oil temperature/pressure and water temp. as well, but can't find a good source on which ones are the most accurate and reliable, anyone know of reputable brands?
>>
File: comparator.png (3MB, 2168x704px) Image search: [Google]
comparator.png
3MB, 2168x704px
>>17730737
Anyone want to give me feedback on some cars?

I want a second car that I can bang around on the weekend and generally have just for fun. Looking for something light and cheap and have narrowed it down to two cars.

One's a 1990 corrado g60. Interior and exterior conditions seem pretty mint, but it has 178k miles and I don't know how the owner has treated it. currently on chineseium coilovers, drilled rotors and unspecified "induction mods". Has recently gotten a new fuel pump, water pump, and clutch. comes with an extra g60 charger. Like I said before, can't really tell if the guy has trashed it at all, or if he just likes the look of a modded car. Seems like a nice enough guy though and hasn't hid any problems from me so far.

Other car is a 1992 civic si hatch. Car has 203k miles, but is otherwise really clean. Only mods are a high flow muffler, 17" wheels, light tint and a pretty well done audio set up. Has recently gotten new axles, coolant flush, trailing arm bushings, and distributor cap and rotor. Interior is showing it's age but holding up while exterior has faded paint and some damaged clear coat on hood and roof.

Whichever one I end up with won't be my daily, so I'm not afraid of high miles or practicality. Also, the civic 5 hours away. don't recommend a miata, I've tried and I'm too tall.
>>
>>17738731
are you doing this with the car on?
>>
>>17738784
Nope but I did it with the battery still plugged in, don't know if that would change anything though

It's a pain in the ass to wash the headlamp and the car looks better anyways
>>
>>17738260
Your entire interior will need to be ripped out and cleaned, and don't use chlorine.
>>
>>17738041
>what do you mean, turbobygarrett.com?
>>
>>17738777
>i don't know how the owner treated it
>tons of shitty mods and a new clutch before 200k
protip: he treated it badly
the corrado will be more fun than a fart can civic however
>>
>>17738743
>how do i make a turbodiesel reliable?
treat tarbo right, let it idle 30 seconds to a minute after spirited driving
>which for you is like what, 45 mph?
oil pump is the heart of your engine, change it
>unobtanium tier gaskets
just use RTV and stop paying grips for gaskets unless they're metal
>good gauges
jegs or anything off summitracing
>>
>>17730737
How bad/good are cops about illegal tint? My city has no emissions laws and the cops really don't care too much about most traffic laws, so people get away with having red or blue or greed led headlights and shit like that all the time. Could I get away with 20% (possibly even darker) when 27% is the law?
>>
>>17738865
>and don't use chlorine
Why not?
>>
>>17738260
Yeah, dealing with something like that now. Not quite that bad, but still nasty

Gotta get alllllll that interior out, every bit you can, and clean it thoroughly, preferably with something that will kill the mold and it's spores. Else, next time your car gets slightly humid, you'll have cotton for the picking again

Now, before you continue, I recommend you research a bit yourself, since you may have better alternatives available, than what I present here

I did some tests on plastic parts, using some 55g Cl/liter of chlorine, and at about 1 part chlorine to 20 parts water it didn't seem to do anything for up to 20 minutes of soaking. Did clean it very thoroughly

I actually used white soap (the one you'd use for clothes)+that chlorine mix to get all the grease and dirt out, so nothing will (hopefully) remain on the hard bits. I'm sanding and repainting every metal part I can due to surface rust, however, so maybe you'll just want to use lots of soap or some detergent

For the seats, I peeled off the cloth and submerged the foam in a vat that had a light mix of 1 part chlorine and 50 or so water, for about 30 minutes, using gloves, I pressed the foam to get it as deep as possible, and to get it to move and whatnot. Then, I hosed it off VERY thoroughly, again, pressing the foam, making sure the water carried away all the remaining chlorine and whatever stuff was deep inside the foam (lots what I assume was dirt and dark mold came out of the deeper/more affected parts of the seat cushion)

Now, the cloth itself is of no concern to me since I'm re-upholstering it all, but if you want to keep yours, I recommend a good thorough washing with lots of soap, rinse very well, and then dry it as soon as possible, without much heat or sunlight just in case

The carpet and roof I'll be cleaning with lots of soap, and maybe use a concentrated detergent I was recommended, though I still have to Czech if it'll destroy the carpet/make it change color or not

It'll be Hell
>>
File: Hmmm, yes.gif (2MB, 472x360px) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm, yes.gif
2MB, 472x360px
>>17739107
>treat tarbo right
Already doing that. Seems like it will need a rebuild s00n, too ;_;
>45 mph?
That, or off-roading this 3300lb rectangle of an SUV
>unless they're metal
They're.all.metal

Even the simple, small ones, not subject to heat, like the ones for the throttle body (which is used to produce vacuum for smooth shut-off), are metal. I've been trying to find a way to make something myself/have someone make them (properly) for me...

So, it's not worth buying brand gauges and senders like VDO, HKS, Autometer, AEM, SPA, Dakota, etc?
>>
File: mec rek.jpg (567KB, 4311x2874px) Image search: [Google]
mec rek.jpg
567KB, 4311x2874px
Completely clueless here.
I want to speed but I don't want a ticket.
Where am I supposed to go to find a closed track to drive on? A race track or something?
>>
File: 1443555755254.jpg (356KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1443555755254.jpg
356KB, 1920x1200px
>>17739302
>rebuilding a trubo
easy peasy, taking it off is the hardest part
>They're.all.metal
what are you even complaining about just re-use that shit
>https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/38332/reusing-a-metal-water-pump-gasket

>not worth buying brand
jegs is a brand
>wants something other than jegs
wew lad
as long as it's not made in china and comes with a decent warranty you should be fine
>>
>>17739381
>That time I pulled away the heat shield for the exhaust side of the tarbo to see what's up
One look at those rusty, 10 or 12-size bolts and I felt like pic related
Rebuilding it? Doable
Finding the CHRA bits? Unobtainium
Even considered getting some Garrett turbo, but it needs to be very smol. Like, GT 12 or GT 15 smol
>just re-use that shit
Ye, did that a few times, but there's a lot of shite that goes bolted onto the exhaust/turbo, not sure they'll hold up heat+pressure cycles forever again Shyamalam
Also, many of them are MLS and I got a feel they will disintegrate the second I look hard at them
>jegs is a brand
So is LongDong...at least for appliance cables

On gauges, the thing is I don't live in 'Murica, and if something screws up, I'm stuck for weeks or even a couple months without gauges, and likely to end up paying more for shipping+handling than what I can get back from the warranty, unless I buy Dakota Digital or something. So unless the warranty covers global handling and shipping costs, I'd like a rather high degree of certainty that it will work for years, y'know?
>>
File: couragia-mt-wwl-bwl-set.jpg (234KB, 900x614px) Image search: [Google]
couragia-mt-wwl-bwl-set.jpg
234KB, 900x614px
Are Federal a good brand?
>>
What can I do to bump up my concentration and reaction speed?
I notice that it's way bad and driving becomes a chore full of anxiety because I can't keep track of everything around me, fortunately I've never been in any accident.

It's a miracle I even got my license, in western Europe that is.
Maybe getting a bit more exercise could help with this?
>>
I'm new to card but want to get into it.
My first car which I have now is pretty shit and I want to buy a used car.
The thing that has me confused is how many miles the car has.
For instance, my car has 90,000 miles on it and I feel like that's a lot, but I see people selling cars with like 150-200k miles on them.
I guess my question is how many miles is too many?
>>
are vw phaetons any good? Found one 3.0 diesel with 190k km for 7k euro. Is it reliable? Will it last much more or does it have too many km?
Im betting the answers wont be good but this thing qt i had to ask.
>>
>>17737163

Yeah do need to do the job again, just not sure which direction is off by
>>
File: 1495271074316.jpg (62KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495271074316.jpg
62KB, 449x600px
>>17736117
>>17736860
You should also feel it start to "die" if you get too low. Your car will shake and stutter to let you know to speed up or downshift before it stalls. In mine i can go all the way down to 5mph or so in second, almost a complete stop, and barely feel it start to shake

>>17737460
Going off of "i dunno it just feels less powerful now", the issue could be almost anything. You could of just gotten used to it, but check basic stuff and see if that improves anything. Fuel system, oil, take the engine head off and clean it, clean the air filter, if its a gross disposable one buy a reusable one. Might be your o2 sensors, but i doubt it. Those are the only ez things i can think of atm. Could just be your engine a shit, if it has less than 6 cylinders and doesnt have a turbo or dual cams take it out back and shoot it
>>
>>17739303
Get a radar detector and find some roads cops are never on. Particularly ones that cross over county lines.

I have a stretch of highway heading north out of the town I live no cops are on, becuase in 30 miles it goes through 3 different states.
>>
Straight pipes are illegal here, but i kinda want to do it anyway. My car sits low enough that theres no way a cop could tell theyre straight pipes unless hes laying down under the car, would that be enough to avoid any legal issues? Im not planning on doing anything that would give a cop a reason to fuck with me, i just want to see what itll sound like. My stock exhaust is quiet AF even when i push the engine
>>
>>17740044
Eat a healthy and well balanced diet.
This one is important, fucking get enough mother fucking sleep all of the damn time, every single fucking time.
Exercise regularly.
Combine all of the above with practice, and remember to relax.
>>
>>17737497
Did you fuck up putting the plugs back in the right spots? Did you move the distributor at all? Checked the timing after you were done? Sounds a lot like youve got one of those issues, could be the filter tho. Start the car and play with the filter, move it around and look for gaps, cracks in hoses, etc. Im still betting on timing/plugs tho
>>
>>17740469
Straight Pipes are illegal everywhere in the US.

If they don't check for emissions in your state they'll never know.
>>
Is it worth buying rebuilt cheap shitboxes for daily use if I'm not good with a wrench?
>>
>>17735006
Mechanic has told me that swapping a 4.0 will require a lot of work. radiator mount, transmission, rear end.

He said he could possibly put a GM 3.8 with "buick heads" (what does this mean?) without too much work, but the trans might not take the power

I never really had a power problem with the 2.5 though, is there something I could do with a new motor to make it get more mpg or anything?
>>
>>17740812
There shouldn't be a difference in the rear end. But the 4cyls had a higher gear ratio
>>
File: IMG_4383.jpg (24KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4383.jpg
24KB, 600x337px
How would I go about fixing the paint on the trunk? Just gonna plastidip the spoiler
>>
I'm looking to buy a fun car to dd in the summer. looking for something rwd and fun and I am set on importing. I've narrowed my choices down to an Altezza, a Honda beat, or a Suzuki cappucino. I have no idea how to narrow it down further as I cant really test drive them. Any opinions on which I could enjoy most on the city/back roads?
>>
AT highway speeds there is a lot of wind noise coming from my door. It sounds like its coming from behind behind me. Its a coupe and I've made sure the door was completely closed and window all the way up.

The weather stripping is torn up, but only on the bottom, everywhere else is fine

What should I try to get rid of the wind noise?
>>
>>17736671
Twin charge it.
Both a super and turbo charger.
>>
>>17741171
The bottom tear could be big enough to cause that noise. If possible maybe drive with a friend and have them reach over you and press a towel or other things up against parts of the window and see if the sound goes away.
>>
>>17740845
Well you can remove the whole trunk and get it painted, or paint yourself. or you can look online and see if there is a vinyl sticker shaped for your specific vehicle you can place over the whole trunk.
>>
>>17740704
Not really unless you are sitting on a good amount of money
>>
File: my car.png (109KB, 446x216px) Image search: [Google]
my car.png
109KB, 446x216px
>>17737018

So is there something I can do about this, or do I need a new thermostat housing?

pic related
>>
>>17740704
How much is having something to wrench on while you learn how to wrench worth to you?

Do you like challenges? Do you like to struggle? Does the triumph of pushing your limits and succeeding do something special to you?
>>
Did a bit of research on it but nothing relevant came up.

When I'm in gear and my rpms are at 2k or more, after I let off the gas I hear what sounds like a mild grind or scraping noise coming from my engine. There are no performance changes and it's been happening for a while with no effects so I haven't been terribly worried, however it's somewhat concerning.

Any thoughts on sources of noises that would arise in that situation?
>>
>>17741934
Are you sure its the engine and not the transmission?
>>
>>17741951
It very well could be, some of the research I did mentioned a new clutch, but mine is far from new, I think it's still original and my car has 133k on it. It doesn't slip at all though; there's no outward signs of anything going wrong, hence my confusion.
>>
>>17741620
Is it brass? could get a reverse threaded drill bit or a bolt extractor to see if it will come out.

>>17741959
The clutch maybe good but the Throwout and Pilot bearings might be at the end of their useful life.
>>
>>17741987
I'll keep those in mind, though this doesn't ever happen when the clutch is being disengaged, only when I'm fully in gear and let off the gas while the rpms are (at least) slightly elevated. Wouldn't both of those have more to do with actually shifting gears?

What other symptons of failing bearings can I look out for in the future?
>>
>>17742056
The pilot bearing is almost always spinning. Bad Throw outs can screech when not pushing against the diaphragm, I had s10 that did that.
>>
>>17742078
Sounds like it may be the pilot, considering it's definitely a grinding sound. Fuck, those things are way in there too, will there be any noticeable things I will feel if it that turns out to be it and it gets worse?
>>
>>17740469

where i am in Canada we dont have any emissions, my old Nissan pickup when the exhaust broke off the manifold i straight piped from the manifold to under the drivers door and my girlfriend has a straightpiped turbo VW golf right now. both were loud as fuck and backfired on decel, definitely cop magnets
>>
Will dealers ever give me close to trade value of my car? That's about what I owe on it and I'm looking to get something worth like 5k since my wife is about to lose her job.
>>
File: d5.jpg (132KB, 1263x718px) Image search: [Google]
d5.jpg
132KB, 1263x718px
>>17730737
Does anyone else here use battery acid as a toilet cleaner?
>>
>>17740494
Thanks mate, looking back, I've really done a bad job at keeping my body in good condition.
I should work on that.
>>
Should I have my tire pressure as the sticker in the door reads or what? My fronts say max 44 lbs and the rears say max 52 lbs, but the sticker on the door says 32 front 29 rear.
>>
What is considered the "bottom" of the average depreciation curve? 3 years? 5 years? 10? I just want to know how new I can go before it starts feeling like a ripoff.
>>
>>17742714
Bottom of the rate of depreciation, or bottom total price?
>>
>>17742713
Follow the door sticker. The psi on the tires are the max pressure the tires can be before blowing up.
>>
>>17742750
Rate of depreciation, as total price is probably decades or some shit
>>
>>17742752
That's what I have them at now, but the fronts look low on the bottom. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on how the tread wears.
>>
Are used early b6 passats a bad idea?
>>
>>17740505
I changed the filter and it ran fine. Hopefully this stays so. My next problem is I cant change the spark plugs. It seems they're stuck. fuck my life.
>>
>>17742094
It'll go all at once, blowing the input shaft of your transmission before there are any more warning signs
>>
File: Screenshot_20170819-100420~2.png (294KB, 1440x1972px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170819-100420~2.png
294KB, 1440x1972px
What does he mean by this
>>
>>17743281
Exactly what it says. It's not cryptic.
>>
>>17743284
>what time you wanna meet
>message me I'm in and out
OK again, what the fuck does that mean? It's not a hard question, you either say the time or you say the day isn't good, what the fuck man? Yes it is absolutely cryptic, instead of coming up to an agreement that we could test the car at say, 9am, I have to wake up and message this fucker to see if he's home? Seriously? What if you went to a store that said "we don't have set hours, just message us?" I can't even ask anyone along at that point, what do I say?
>hey man, what time were you going to look at that honda again?
>Lel Idk he's in and out

Whatever, if he wanted to make a sale he'd actually make effort. If I sound fucking bitter it's because I'm trying to buy a car and everyone is like this
>cool man what time do you wanna show the car?
>lol I dunnooooo what time do you wanna show the car? Tee hee!
>>
>>17743312
It means hell probably be running errands and may or may not be at the house to let you test drive it, he doesn't know how is day is going to go.

So text him to see where he's at spergLord
>>
>>17743321
Bro I have a life too, I run and do shit too, I can't sit and text some idiot all day who can't be assed to set aside 30 minutes to show a car he wants to sell. It's whatever, I'll just keep trying, if the dude wanted the money instead of the car he'd just say "[time and day] is best for me, how about you."
>>
>>17743343
Not everyone is special like you Ed.
>>
Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to replace the oversized steering on my W124 Mercedes to a slightly smaller aftermarket one. Are there any particular things to watch out for or anything that I can fuck up?

Also since my car doesn't have airbag is there a need to disconnect the battery terminals while doing this or not?
>>
>>17743409
Fact remains if you're selling something the onus is on you to say "these are the times I am available to sell my thing, choose one and we will do business." If you do it in reverse you won't get anywhere. Don't make it hard for people to buy your shit, that's how you end up with one of those ads saying "it's been sitting a while, needs battery and tires."
>>
Is 190k km too much on a golf mk6?
Looking at a 1.6 bluemotion diesel
are there good engine? how long do they last?
>>
Not particularly car, related

How much damage am I doing to my mower leaving it out without a cover? Its a Honda GCV160.

I do occasionally remember to put a plastic tarp over it but it always manages to rain when I forget.

It still runs so I don't think its too fucked up
>>
What's the tool called that you use to cut out pieces of metal (circles) and then bend the edges up to retain structural rigidity? I may get nasty with the weight savings on my firebird.
>>
Floridafag here. Im looking at a comanche for a pretty nice price but the guy said he lost the title. He is the second owner of the truck (his brother the first) and said he would do what he can to help me get one.

My question would be how much of a pain in the ass is getting a title. I really want this truck, but not if its going to be an absolutes shitshow or undoable
>>
>>17742714
>>17742754
???
>>
>>17743527
Eventually waters gonna seep into places it shouldn't be, the gas tank or carburetor some how. Which means your mower willstop working altogether, or run like garbage.
>>
>>17744021
IT would basically cost 75$ or so for the title, and however much registration and such is. Google lost Florida titles, and it'll take you to a government website, and tell you everything you need to know. Just do a check on the truck and make sure it's not stolen, and have a bill of sale.
>>
Do either the 2017 toyota corolla or honda civic use timing chains rather than belts?

Need chainz.
>>
UK insurance is far too much. Even with a years driving with no claims a 1500 Saxo VTS will set me back 6000 on insurance, what the fuck /o/. What cars would you recommend that are still fun but are in an affordable insurance bracket? My friend has a MK1 Swift Sport (123 bhp) and thats around 1500-2000 without a black box, any advances? A rusted shit NA/NB is around 8000 also on insurance
>>
>>17743561
you'd be forming it with a press and a die
>>
>>17731176
Peugeots are really popular where I live.

But if FWD isnt your thing I would go with the bimmer
>>
>>17731649
With that grey, I would go with either a matte white.

Black on grey looks kinda stupid
>>
What's the purpose of dual carbs? What do they do that a single four barrel cant do?
>>
>>17742754
Depends on the vehicle of course. Euro and Luxury cars fall really fast but kind of slow down after 3-5 years.
Trucks though keep value for about 5 years then drop before bottoming at 10 years.
I really have no idea on sedans but they bottom out at about 15 years. Its a pretty level decline all the way down
>>
File: IMG_0091.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0091.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Looking at running an older car off of E-85.

I already have maxed out spark advance set up on 87.

So I would need to tune the carburetor richer, and I would be able to further spark advance a bit?

Don't care about mpg's, car has new fuel tank, lines, filter, and rebuilt carb.
>>
>>17743452
If It has a horn, you could by chance fuck it up.
>>
>>17744134
Literally depends on the car, some hold value longer than others.
>>
>>17744541
There's less restriction on the airflow
>>
File: Y687225.png (524KB, 770x713px) Image search: [Google]
Y687225.png
524KB, 770x713px
Alright lads. 23 year young yuropeen lad, ex. NEET that got a job a half year ago and wants to buy (in cash) his first (real) car. Not gonna make it greentext.

-Want cayman 2013+. >et the rear with mid mounted exhaust makes it look weak. Kinda enough to kill my interest. The cayman name is also dangerous to carry around with. Being gay isnt considered normal in my country.
-Want C-class coupe 2015+. Starting price around 35k for a fucking 1.8l engine that is slower than a japanese 1.4l shitbox from 1980, increasing dramatically with each better
engine. Add actual options and youre looking at another 10k. What the fuck?
-Want CLA 45 amg. I dont even know why. But my interest is slowly dying. Good.
-Want S2000, also test driven (the sagas are true), yet theyre fucking expensive considering that have nothing going on except 4 wheels and a legendary engine.
-Want BMW 435d. Incredible power for a diesel and dat diesel mpgees. Also like exterior and interior. But imho sound is simply a missing big factor.
-Want Mustang GT 2015+. Also test driven. Incredible fucking comfy. Much better than our fully equipped E320. Unbeatable price/performance. The only problem is missing front sensor/camera. Why the fuck does the rear have it and front not? The bonnet is huge. Also exhaust sound is fucking nothing. It has that nice american rumble but its still too quiet for the engine. AMGs still sound better overall.

What the fuck should I do
>>
>>17730737
My bleeder valves are seized up, even after spraying pb blaster and them sit for a few days. Should I just say fuck it and buy new calipers? The bolts on the valves are starting to round off
>>
>>17745392
You can always replace those valves, what about a vice grip to get them off.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18RqHX_Zcp8

My car idles super rough after I hooked vacuum back up to the EGR valve. I found it had been unhooked since I bought it.

Other than this, the car drives fine like it would unhooked.

Why does it do this? poorly tuned carb? some sort of leak in the EGR?
>>
>>17745630
The egr is probably fucked, they might have just unplugged it instead of doing a proper egr delete
>>
File: sc0516-243465_2.jpg (88KB, 832x468px) Image search: [Google]
sc0516-243465_2.jpg
88KB, 832x468px
>>17744541
as >>17745070 said less restriction of airflow, meaning faster engine warm up and easier cold start as well as easier start in high altitudes. You get slightly to somewhat better mpgs if you don't leadfoot it everywhere which if you're in a dual four barrel V8 is hard to resist doing. There's a slight sacrifice in horsepower but if the carbs are synced properly it's negligible. Biggest difference is by far the sound, it's sound is to engine notes what moonshine is to alcohol, really puts hair on your chest.

Have a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sQKGFXfEw&t=429s
>>
Is the price listed by Kelly Blue Book the out-the-door price or just for the car, not including tax/title/fees/etc.?
>>
>>17745392
Get a MAP gas burner heat the fuckers up to cherry red hot and unscrew them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJ4IQVritU
>>
>>17745789
Used or new?

Typically its the price before all that. Nada is a better guide for buyers though.
>>
File: bowtrail.png (2MB, 1501x896px) Image search: [Google]
bowtrail.png
2MB, 1501x896px
Am I allowed to merge onto a freeway before the dotted line starts?
There's this freeway I merge onto every way, and the merge lane is pretty short.
Photo added for reference
>>
How are VWs? I was test driving cars today and the dealer made me a pretty decent offer on a Jetta with the 5-speed.
>>
>>17746492
Nope. If you're feeling ballsy and don't think thees a cop laying about do it but, do it at your own risk.
>>
File: Monte Carlo.jpg (65KB, 887x499px) Image search: [Google]
Monte Carlo.jpg
65KB, 887x499px
I'm looking to buy my second car and was wondering if $2000 was too high a price.
>>
File: 1.jpg (753KB, 1300x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
753KB, 1300x1240px
I'm trying to sell my OEM Subaru BRZ headlight units. They are HID projectors. Mine are in great shape: no scratches, no yellowing, and I took them off the car at ~11,500 miles. Like most people, I don't drive at night.

I'm asking $600 for them. The problem is I don't really know what a good price is, but $600 seems fair to me. I found a listing on ebay where someone is trying to sell the driver's side unit for $490. Another person on ft86club dot com said he saw some go for $600. These don't seem to go on sale at all because they are actually really nice. The FRS headlights go on sale for less than $100 frequently, however Toyota only put halogen bulbs in them and they don't have the turn signal integrated like mine do.

No one at ft86club has answered this question either and I'm tired of cheapskates asking $300 for them when there are worse options available for more money (read: spec-d). Fuck
>>
>>17737248
>buy led turn signal bulbs
>buy resistors
>tap one wire into positive, the other wire into negative, 10 minute job maximum
>hook up and still get bulb out error
>spend entire next day figuring out why this simple shit wasnt working and ended up buying new resistors
>>
So my cv boot is ripped and has been for quite sometime, went on rockauto to look for some boots but they only sell 12 packs. Don't really see any readily buyable, going to the stealership they will probably want something stupid like 40 dollars for one. Easily been like 2k~km since i noticed it, but being broke etc. Probably be better to replace the entire thing right? The half shafts on rockauto for my car are pretty cheap, but the big price difference is ones that come with ABS rings, is this something i can take off the old one? Because ones with the ring are 3x the price.
>>
I'm going to be buying my first manual shitbox soon, and I'm going to be learning manual from a friend for a day a little before that.
How much time do I need to git gud enough with manual to take a car on and off a highway without dying?
>>
Is it bad to skip gears in a manual? Like if I'm driving my shitbox with 5 on the floor and I need to climb a steep hill, is it bad to shift down to 3rd for the hill then shift directly back to 5th after the hill?
>>
>>17747426

Nothing wrong with this as long as you are rev matching. In fact would be worse lugging your shitbox in 4th or 5 up a steep hill than to make the engine do what it is suppose to do and rev.
>>
>>17747391

Also, could my car be completely 1wd possibly? Doesn't feel like it is as quick as it use to be etc. From memory everytime i have gotten wheelhop in my fwd shitbox it has been on the side without the ripped boot.
>>
>>17745284
bmw or s2000 imho
>>
>>17746496
Anyone?
>>
>>17747454
If it has an LSD, then yeah. Otherwise it'll just have no drive at all.
>>
>>17747532

It would probably make some fucked up sounds etc though if the halfshaft was so bad it was not driving at all no? I mean the car is not fast but i feel like it would severely hamper the cars ability to drive if it was just only able to drive one wheel.
>>
Yuropoor here. I have a '10 Kia Cee'd and I think my engine in consuming more fuel than it should. I read that people with the same engine get somewhere around 6L/100km when driving on the highway, but even with a very conservative driving style, I can only reach 8L/100km. These estimations are from the car's own computer.

The car had a broken front wheel bearing and "burnt" brakes but I got them fixed, previously the consumption was close to 10L. I have also changed the engine air filter and spark plugs in the past month.

Any ideas what else I should check? Could the computer just give me readings that are off by 1-2 litres?
>>
>>17747567
tire pressure!
>>
>>17747540
It'd be noisy as hell, but you would've noticed a lot of loud clicking coming from the shaft when turning corners before it totally fails.
>>
What's a good car for learning how to do basic repair and maintenance on? Something that is simple mechanically and has cheap parts. Want to buy a beater example and try to fix everything I can.
>>
>>17733704
If it's both headlights, I would lean towards the switch.
>>
>>17734998
Junk it and buy another one with the 4.0l engine. Life will be better.
>>
File: 12882901_ori_7843.jpg (22KB, 350x240px) Image search: [Google]
12882901_ori_7843.jpg
22KB, 350x240px
>>17745284
>>17747498
>diesel
>yurop
DING DONG BANNU
>>
>>17737018
1. Check oil and coolant levels. If oil is over full and looks like milkshake and coolant is low, then coolant mixed with oil and engine rebuild/replace necessary.
2. If oil is normal but coolant level is low, then coolant leaked thru head gasket into exhaust (causing white smoke from tailpipe) and minimum head gasket blown. Antifreeze also destroys catalytic converters.
>>
>>17737457
Put on jackstands and have a buddy peek thru and see if the fork is moving the disc.
>>
File: e55.jpg (114KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
e55.jpg
114KB, 800x600px
>>17745284
e55/e63 amg
>>
>>17737857
Cherokee: 4.0l or 2.5l, 5sp or auto, leaf spring rear

Grand Cherokee: 5.9l or 5.2l or 4.0l, auto, coil spring rear
>>
>>17730737
Im getting a second car purely for commute to school(my brick nose truck gets 11 mpg)
Im down to a 92 geo metro or a 94 toyota Tercel.
Both are manual, 190k miles, 800$.
What would you get?
>>
>>17731176
>sell miat
>buy autozam AZ-1
>rally it
>>
What company makes the best brake pads/rotors?
>>
redpill me on bifuel cars
what do I need to know? Im considering a 2005 audi a3 2.0 tsfi for 6k euro at 170k km but it has bifuel which I dont know much about. Should I?
>>
>>17746542
price reflects quality and depends how old the vehicle is
>>
>>17747890
Brembo seems to be leading right now
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>17747599
anything old with a carb

carbed v6's and v8's don't have all the complicated electronics fuel injected engines do and are infinitely more user friendly, with the right know how, all you need to fix one is a screwdriver, though realistically an assortment of basic tools is all you need. Maintenence wise all that's needed is to keep the air filter clean and even then if the jets get clogged they're dirt easy to clean out.

So if you can find an old muscle car or landbarge on the cheap (not hard at all) absolutely go for it.

If you want something newer though, something with an LS series engine, slightly more complicated than old carbed engines but about the same premise.
>>
Are these things available at any automotive shop or do I have to get some specific versions for my vehicle? I need some now but no dealership is open RN
>>
>>17730737

How does one go about installing functional aero? I've got a long term goal of building a time attack car and I can't seem to find information on aero tuning for cars not manufactured with them.

I mean, can you rent a wind tunnel or something?
>>
>>17748352
Everyone I've come across is the same general design but they're different enough to where they're company specific.
>>
>>17748365
god damnit
zipties it is
fucking hell
>>
Is JIS the same as metric fine? I got some stubborn bolts on my AW11 that are about to snap but I don't want to go through with it until I know for certain
>>
Is neutral the same as pressing the clutch all the way down?
So I saw a video about rev matching and its basically put it in neutral give it gas then downshift
can you just clutch in give it gas downshift and release clutch instead?
>>
>>17748572
What you discribed was double clutching, with rev matching.

Revmatching with out that is perfectly fine.
>>
File: H15084_110812__ra_p.jpg (35KB, 526x600px) Image search: [Google]
H15084_110812__ra_p.jpg
35KB, 526x600px
Can old/worn caliper bolts contribute to pulsating or squeaking brakes?
>>
Regarding Rev Matching: Why do you have to let off the throttle when you actually shift into the desired gear? Why can't you just hold the throttle open at the desired RPM as you shift into the desired gear?
>>
>>17748643
that's silly
>>
>>17737163
Just as an update it seems more likely that the camshaft position sensor may be fucked. So gonna try that first
>>
Can I remove the heat shield from infront of the engine? One of the bolts came off and now it sort of just buzzes and rattles around. Should I try to replace the bolt or can I just take the whole thing off?
>>
File: 2001-Volvo-V70-T5.jpg (11KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
2001-Volvo-V70-T5.jpg
11KB, 400x200px
I have a 2001 Volvo V70 T5 that I just replaced the PCV system on, but I'm still blowing smoke out my dipstick and oil cap. If I engage the turbo, I get a thick cloud out the back. Now, I had never worked on a car, not even changed my own oil, before replacing this, so I'm wondering if I'm getting in over my head. What I want to do is get some ramps and re-build the turbo, and slap on some new gaskets/seals. My local mechanic quoted me $3100 to replace it, so for the $80 it would cost me for a re-build kit, do you guys think it's worth it to try or should I just get a new car?
>>
>>17749202
Give it a go. If you fuck it up, buy a runabout and piss around with thors chariot in your free time.
>>
File: 1485366209754.png (541KB, 786x516px) Image search: [Google]
1485366209754.png
541KB, 786x516px
currently lookong someone to tell if this is good or not.
>Toyota tacoma.
year:2001
miles: N/A but will check in person
price:$8,000
condition:decent

If its not what is a descent small truck or a easy to mantain truck under $9,000?
>>
need a new shitbox for $5k

what should i buy . just need an automatic econobox that's reliable

a toyota?
>>
File: 1499389175691.jpg (94KB, 960x643px) Image search: [Google]
1499389175691.jpg
94KB, 960x643px
>>17730737
How much would I be looking at to import an MR2 turbo in the US? The 93s will be available next year which are the good ones that fetch a premium here. All the ones I ever see are either swapped or stupid high mileage and im not really trying to deal with that in a 25 year old car. Im expecting to budget about 10k for one, probably through HP Logic in florida
>>
>>17749830
Cant comment on the tacoma, whoever
Basically any 4cyl shitbox. Chevy s10 and nissan hardbody come to mind. Keep in mind these will be absolutely gutless but you'll have plenty of room in the engine bay to work. Make sure to pick up a haynes manual
>>
File: 1498024791405.jpg (50KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1498024791405.jpg
50KB, 512x512px
>doing my first ever serious wash, following this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXfSBR5Q9w
>washed car with proper soap first, then degreased with dish soap and rinsed and dried
>moved car into garage to get out of sun
>clay barred
>try rubbing compound on area already done up by clay bar
>new out of the package microfiber maguiars polishing towel
>applying quarter size dab of compound directly to paint and rubbing in swirls
>does not feel smooth
>looks like I'm adding spider webbing wherever I try to buff past that starting resistance
any good videos on rubbing compound itself? I feel like I'm doing something wrong here as none of the water spots, oxidation or swirls are being removed
>>
>>17748633
>pulsating
Buildup of brake pad material on the disks, people who don't know better will tell you your disks are warped. Get them machine, resurface the pads (if they're not worth changing yet) and that should fix your noise and juddering.
>>
>>17750040
Don't bother trying to polish by hand. Your arm will fall off by the time you finish your first panel. Go get yourself a horror freight DA and go to somewhere like r/autodetailing on leddit and read up on how to properly correct your paint.
>>
Just bought an 04 Toyota Matrix XRS yesterday. Its my first "nice" car (its nice compared to my last shitboxes). Its also the highest mileage car I've had, at 177k. Is there anything past regular oil and fluid changes to keep this thing going as long as possible? I spent a shit ton of money (for me) on it and I want this to last me at least a few years. I suppose frequent hard accelerations are a no go as well if I want to maximize longevity.

I'm not entirely sure how many high mileage 2ZZ-GEs there are out there, but I know its a Toyota so its likely going to be fairly hardy
>>
>>17750337
Do literally all fluids. Religiously check for evidence of oil burning.
>>
Wtf is this noise o

It went away when i put some fuel in the car

Power steering?
Fuel pump?

https://youtu.be/OIfaLLyPOcM
>>
Looking at getting one of these, which is best?

>Corolla
>Camry
>Focus
>Fusion
>>
>>17750872
camry
V6 option is best
>>
>>17749202
super easy to rebuild, turbo is easy to remove as well
in the meantime try using 0w-40 european spec synthetic oil
>did this to my '96 850 turbo
>stopped coughing out tons of smoke when boosting
>>
I've got the money, should I do it? Supposedly these things are rare as fuck.

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55t AMG Wagon,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/1999-mercedes-benz-e-class-e55t-amg-wagon/
>>
File: 1499374500649.jpg (39KB, 424x401px) Image search: [Google]
1499374500649.jpg
39KB, 424x401px
How do I haggle prices down with Craigslist sellers?
I'm looking at a listing right now with a price that matches KBB, but the Edmunds appraisal is way lower. Will showing the Edmunds appraisal be enough to sway someone or is there a trick to it other than not being autistic?
>>
File: shitbox that i want.jpg (23KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
shitbox that i want.jpg
23KB, 600x263px
>>17749971
>what do you mean, "read the sticky?"
$3k civic, use extra $2k for hookers
and also STFU
>>
>>17751036
too late
>page no longer exists
>Do I want a hoon wagon?
the answer was always yes

>>17751043
In my XP KKB is more about the condition
vs edmunds which seems more about them running and moving
lack of maintenance records is usually what i use to lower price
>no proof, I have to change those parts, sellers price must come down
if they have the maintenance records and it's a clean vehicle with a fair price
then pay them man what he wants and stop being a jew
>>
>>17751111

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55t AMG Wagon,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/1999-mercedes-benz-e-class-e55t-amg-wagon/1276788987

See if this works
>>
>>17751043
>How do I haggle prices on Craigslist?
Show up with cash, mention nothing about agreeing to a lower price unless you're in front of the seller.
>>
>>17751161
>he thinks the answer still isn't yes
over 500 ft/lbs is calling to you an/o/n
>>
>>17751010
What about a civic or accord? Those seem pretty similar
>>
Parking brake light ((BRAKE)) went out on my dash, no longer illuminates with handbrake engaged
>dash light bulbs replaced recently
Any pointers in regard to what i should be honing in on?
>>
DD small truck recommendations? Preferably 90s newer, im just wanting something small like a ranger, that could tow a small car, ~2.5k. I dont want muh huge F6600HD Super King Ranch
>>
>>17751111
Thanks, quadman. It's a decent price going off KBB and the guy has the maintenance records as well as new tires and a set of snow tires, so I probably won't try to jew him down. The only issue now is that I have basically no experience driving stick, so I hope I don't fuck the test drive up.
>>
So what do I need to have and to know if I actually were to go through an engine swap?
>>
DD that costs under $20k that is:
>fun
>reliable
>fuel efficient
>stick shift
What get?
>>
So if i am just going to lube up the caliper guide pins/pad backing etc. Do i still need to have a piston compressor? Will the piston just stay at the depth of that particular pads wear?
>>
>>17731629
I used 60 or 80 grit sand paper till i got all the rough shit out. Then go to 100ish grit then do it with 200 grit or skip it n just paint over it. I just used 80 grit the whole way on mine and they cane out fine. When painting put your cans in hot water and do real thin coats 3-4xs. By the 4th time it should be actually covered in the color u want. Then do a couple heavier coats then seal it. Always use the same brand paint i ran out and got a different brand and it fucked it up and i had to redo it.
>>
>>17731629
Old honda rims?
>>
>>17730737
opel is true underdog they pulled some insane shit and still do
t. see vxr8
>>
my car is at 150k miles and i dont think ive ever had the suspension worked on. should i do it now? do i need to replace all four springs/struts?
>>
File: IMAG0039.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0039.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>17752338
No they're some shitty cobra r rims on a fox mustang. Not sure if real or fake. They were on the car when I bought it
>>
>>17752535
At 150k you shouldn't have anything major to replace like whole struts. Just take a look around at all your rubber (bushings, boots, etc) and if you see anything particular worn replace those. Next you could lift the car and jiggle all the pieces to check for any play. Big things too look for would be if you can rattle the wheel at all, if so you'll likely need too look at your ball joints or wheel bearings.
>>
File: Nissan-Micra-(6).jpg (64KB, 730x474px) Image search: [Google]
Nissan-Micra-(6).jpg
64KB, 730x474px
AC works great in town, but turns asthmatic on motorways and I can barely feel the fan moving air even at the highest setting.
Any idea what could be causing it?
>>
>A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and long-distance driving.

What is the cheapest car that qualifies as grand tourer?
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.