[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bqg/ - Bike Questions General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 50

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
Old one maxed
>>
>>914280
my bike sometimes makes a popping sound from the chainring when I am pedaling hard uphill or just in a harder gear. cause for concern? what is this?
>>
File: broken part.jpg (1MB, 3696x2448px) Image search: [Google]
broken part.jpg
1MB, 3696x2448px
Alright everybody, noob post and I probably fucked up in a big way here but I'm ready to learn and fix my mistakes.

Was just out doing some recreational riding, and my pant leg unraveled and caught in my chain. I was going pretty fast and apparently the force was enough to snap a piece on my front derailleur (pic related). This is a SunTour Sport piece from what I believe is a 1975 Fuji Special Tourer. I bought it several months ago at a thrift shop for 20 bucks as my first bike since childhood, and I love riding it as a recreational bike. I'd like to either repair the part (which I suspect will not be possible) or replace it. As a newbie I have the following questions:

1) Do I need to get the same part as the original for the bike to work correctly, or can I sub in a suitable replacement?

2) If I need an original, then how can I certifiably identify the correct part? (or I'd just like to know out of curiosity anyway, I know nothing of bike part identification)

3) If push comes to shove, is a piece like this capable of being repaired? No idea what exactly you'd need to do but I know some people who might have the tools needed to repair metal parts.

I know I messed up but I try to focus on the positive, and I want to use this mistake as a chance to learn a valuable lesson about bike repair (on top of the valuable lesson about wearing the right stuff when you ride). Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>914290
my bad, it actually says Spirt, not Sport. I found more on this page http://www.classicfuji.com/1975_08_Tourer.htm

There appears to be different SunTour Spirts available online but I can't really tell which ones are compatible.
>>
>>914290
>>914294

one more post, this looks like the same part with different branding on the name

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SUN-TOUR-SPIRT-FRONT-DERAILLEUR-SCHWINN-/301841851625?hash=item46472d24e9:g:YMkAAOSw9N1V0RFI

Am I correct in this analysis? Any reason I couldn't just take the broken part off of mine and replace it with the working part off of the new one?
>>
>>914288
Could be any number of things, but the first thing I'd do is check your chainring very carefully for a bent or damaged tooth (solution that case is to bend/file it back to where it needs to be).

>>914290
Your FD is dead, not fixable without spending a whole lot more than the value of the part.

Good news is that front derailers are really simple devices and finding a replacement will be simple, especially since the specs of yours were the default, normal values for FDs for many decades: 28.6 seatpost clamp, shaped for a double crankset (as opposed to a triple), cable enters from the bottom.

However, the Suntour Spirt is an odd duck in one respect, because it's 'high normal' and defaults to putting the derailer over the largest chainring unlike 99.99% of all other derailers which default to the smallest ring - this means that if you buy essentially anything but another Spirt you'll have to pull your shift lever in the opposite direction (but functioning will be identical). If it matters to you, you can get NOS Spirt derailers on Ebay for very little money.

Otherwise your best bet is to visit a bike coop or a shop that has been in business for decades, they'll have a bin full of old unwanted FDs that are compatible and should cost you something in the $0-5 range.
>>
>>914295
It's really not worth trying to fuck with the rivets. Just use the new one, it's less rusty.
>>
>>914296
>>914298

Thanks for all the help. Was particularly confused reading for myself the part about the 'high-first' trait of the Spirt.

I know a bike shop in town that's been there for as long as I've been here, so I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if they have any such shifters. I think I'll make a little statue out of my broken one, in part because of the reminder as a milestone for me in cycling, and also because the etched lettering on it reminds me of old golf clubs which in turn makes me think back to my dad. Thanks again for everything, you were a big help.
>>
>>914299
High-normal does not need special shifters. The spring simply works in the opposite direction, so pulling on the cable does the opposite action as normal. Friction shifters just pull cable, that's all they do.
>>
>>914280
I've got what seems like a weird ongoing problem.
Unless I take only clear water with me in my bottles, some of it over time drips down the seat-tube and the down-tube, onto the cable guide on the bottom bracket, and eventually gums up my shifting. Currently I stuff a bunch of chapstick (which is wax, mainly) into the grooves of the cable guide, which allows the cables to move freely, but makes any liquids just drip off instead of sticking in the grooves, and it seems to work OK, but does anyone have a better solution?

The lids on my bottles are new. They still leak a few drops here and there.

I can't always take just plain water with me.
>>
>>914318
And what exactly are you putting in your water bottles?
>>
>>914321
Fuel, what else?
>>
>>914324
Maple syrup?
>>
>>914325
Water, maltodextrin, chelated electrolytes, and stevia, if you must know. I'm not looking for advice on what to put in my bottles.
>>
Hi every one! First time here!
I'm a motorcycle rider that used to ride bicycle long time ago and still have a not so good bike in the garage.
Because administrative problems, I have to leave my license for a month, so I'll need to go to work with my bicycle.

But I'll have to do many kilometers (euroguy here), and I was wondering if it was possible to adapter an electric system to a non electric bike, and if it was worth it, or I'd be fucked trying to do this.

Thanks every one!

Tl;dr : how to convert a non electric bike?
>>
>>914374
Please refer to section 4.2 of the SI brochure for how to convert metric units to imperial units when posting on an American website.
>>
File: _20160115_122250.jpg (77KB, 719x577px) Image search: [Google]
_20160115_122250.jpg
77KB, 719x577px
Is it safe to buy an used pair of chinese carbon rims that have been in use for 300km?

Pic not entirely related, not the pair I am läinterested in, just some chinese carbon
>>
>>914374

You'd basically be better off just buying one outright. You could also not be a fatass and use those legs, it's only a month
>>
>>914389
Probably about as safe as buying new.

Don't forget to change pads.
>>
>>914374
>administrative problems
Translation:
>I got busted driving drunk and my license is suspended

There are at least a dozen reasons why you don't convert a regular bike to electric, and by the way your 'administrative reasons' for not having a license probably means you shouldn't be operating ANY motor vehicle, not even a shitty electric bike. PEDAL your bike and try to de-tox, k?
>>
>>914389
The thing you need to do is ask the guy selling why he's selling, and make sure he looks you in the eye when he answers, and pay close attention to his microexpressions and body language for him lying to you. They might be shitty wheels and he's trying to just get rid of them to whatever sucker will buy them. Also examine them very carefully for wear or cracks or being seriously out of true, all of which could be signs they're failing.
>>
File: WP_20160115_09_22_28_Pro.jpg (2MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160115_09_22_28_Pro.jpg
2MB, 1456x2592px
What do? Broke my rim, the spoke was pulled out and did that hole
is it worth repair?
Is beyond repair?
Is possible to ride without one?
>>
>>914442
Can't repair, you should stop riding it. It looks like a Walmart bike so just return it if its within the return/warranty period
>>
Went through a few 'puddles' today that submerged the chainrings entirely. Should I remove the bottom bracket or is it not an issue?
>>
>>914427
I don't drink dude, it's because my shitty country is stupid and I have a delay for changing my license's category ... and some slow electric bike doesn't need a licence
But if it's a bad idea yes I can pedal, but I was looking for a faster way to travel
>>
how can i train for CX events?
>>
>>914442
Rim's dead baby, rim's dead.
>>914457
Hardly an issue, people ride on the rain all day without having to dismantle their whole drivetrains every time. Just wipe down, clean, lube, wipe down again.
>>
File: specs.png (116KB, 963x546px) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
116KB, 963x546px
Sorry posted in wrong thread.

Currently own a 2006 Trek 3900 13"

Im looking at picking up a Dirt Jump bike. Specifically GT Bump 26.

Now upon doing my research before purchasing, i noticed the geometry is near identical.

Would it be worth it to upgrade the Trek, or just pick up the GT Bump 26.

Assume labor for all the upgrades are free for the sake of this thread.

Both bikes of QR axles. Both aluminum.

Here are the specs comparing both

Pretty much, should i upgrade the Trek to an entry level "DJ" bike, or just buy the GT and be done with it. I'm open to saving a hundred or so dollars upgrading the Trek if that will be the only difference
>>
>>914318
Buy better bottles. I had a cheap bottle once which leaked everywhere too. Its annoying and stupid, not just because your bike gets dirty but also you and your hands and everything. And its not like a good bottle costs much money.

Currently using a camelbak podium. can recommend.
>>
Looking to convert an old early '00s 26" mtb into a single speed. I'm also gonna put some slicks on it because I'll ride it in the city. My question is should I put skinny tires or fat tires on it? Will it look goofy with skinny slick 26s?
>>
>>914484

2" slicks is the sweet spot for rigid 26" MTBs

If you're so afraid of shifters just don't touch them
>>
i am currently riding with a Shimano 105 5800 11spd group, 53-39 Crank, and i'd like to change the 39 Chainring for at least a 42 one. Would that work with the front derailleur? are there any limitations?
>>
>>914484
Mixed surfaces? Go fat. Strictly road? Skinny
>>
>>914531
You can just buy the DA small ring. The shifting may or may not be good. On the one hand, ramps won't be matched up, on the other hand, there's less of a gap in tooth count.
>>
>>914547
as long as it shifts without breaking i may consider having a rather bad shifting possibility

are there any alternatives besides shimanos own chainrings? at least there are 42t DA rings, 46t might be even better if i could get one to work
>>
>>914549
Why would you want a 53/46?

I don't know why you could buy anything buy Shimano small rings. They cost all of 30 dollars.
>>
File: 1366511588883.png (73KB, 248x255px) Image search: [Google]
1366511588883.png
73KB, 248x255px
Today is a sad day.

My Shimano 105 ST-5703 left shifter broke. It wouldn't downshift and when I looked inside, I noticed some parts had snapped, including the housing where the wire end fits into.

I've never had to replace shifters before and I've never had to index gears, etc. Is there a good guide for doing this somewhere? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for buying either a replacement left shifter or a new shifter set? Also, when looking at new cables, are there any considerations to be made if I plan to stick with the Shimano 105 shifters?

I don't have much money and I'm having to do this on a budget.

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
>>
File: JF100_01400.jpg (733KB, 2200x1471px) Image search: [Google]
JF100_01400.jpg
733KB, 2200x1471px
>>914549
>tfw climbing
>tfw body has a strong memory of falling into a rhythm on tough hills and mind is constantly daydreaming about it

Anon i feel bad for you and this flat nonsense riding you fuck around with.
>>
File: yea son.jpg (1MB, 3457x2375px) Image search: [Google]
yea son.jpg
1MB, 3457x2375px
>>914552
Does your frame have downtube shifter bosses? You could put on a downtube shifter for the front shifting. Friction front shifting is great for a triple. Any left DT shifter would work. Pair with any left brake lever or even keep using your broken STI. Could get this done at a co-op for $5-$20

LANCE STYLE>
>>
>>914557
It unfortunately doesn't.

I saw there is set on sale of the same shifters I had for $150. I'm considering just replacing both shifters and redoing all the wiring.

Is it difficult to do this? I have the time just maybe not the know-how.
>>
>>914552
it's easier than fuck dude, worry not. All you have to do is make the cable tense at the lowest tension setting on the shifter, then use the barrel adjuster to fine tune where each index point lands
>>
>>914559
Or if you don't have a barrel adjuster for the front, just play with the cable tension until you get it right

It's that simple. All the adjustment is in cable tension, your limit screws on your derailleur are probably still set up correctly. "indexing" sounds complicated but you never actually have to touch the shifter.
>>
>>914559
>>914560
Phew. I was worried this was going to be something out of my league. I do have a front barrel adjuster.

Any advice regarding buying a new left shifter or shifter pair as well as new cables?
>>
>>914558
It's not that difficult, but highly advisable you get some dedicated cable cutters. Shimano shifters come with new cable sets.
>>
Is this a good bike helmet?
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Thrasher-Adult-Bicycle-Helmet/dp/B00012M5MS

I'm looking for something cheap and looking around it seems to be okay considering the price. I'm also looking for a cheap U-lock so I don't get my shit stolen, but I'm relatively new to biking in general so maybe that's not enough. I'd appreciate any advice/responses.
>>
>>914575
Seems alright. It's a fair bit heavier than higher end stuff, but those will easily have you paying 5-10x the price.

You can get some u-lock combinations with a steel cable to loop through your front wheel.
>>
Should I fiber-grip my seatpost bolts?
>>
>>914625
No. If you want to increase friction on threads, use only thread locker. Anything else risks damaging the threads.
>>
>>914627
Alright, thanks.
>>
File: WP_20160116_16_41_35_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160116_16_41_35_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
Ah jeez. I don't know if that's new or not but that can't be good.

And I've always torqued it, too.
>>
>>914640
Did you always fully tighten one bolt to the specified torque, then fully tighten the other?
>>
>>914642
No, alternate little bits at a time. That's how you're supposed to do it, right?
>>
>>914643
Yes, almost universally. Avid Elixir lever clamps are the only exception I've encountered.

How deep does the crack look? Perhaps it's just the paint.
>>
>>914646
Hard to tell. I'll take it into the shop on monday and see what they think.
>>
lads, I know nothing about bikes and this is the first time I've been on /n/. is there some wiki or something where I can learn about this stuff?
pls no bully
>>
>>914552

If you don't mind them mismatching, get these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shimano-Tiagra-ST-4503-Triple-Left-Front-Dual-Control-Shifter-/201493743411?hash=item2ee9f68733:g:r4QAAOSwv-NWW3zB
>>
File: 2552365152_e37e2b653c_z.jpg (106KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2552365152_e37e2b653c_z.jpg
106KB, 640x480px
>>914656

Sheldon Brown I guess? It would help if you had a specific question you need answered about bikes(what to buy, how to fix X or Y, etc.)
>>
>>914660
thanks mate. I'm just looking to get a bike for riding to uni and whatnot. ideally for as little $ as possible.
>>
>>914661
>>>/bbg/
Lurk moar faggot
>>
>>914661

Get a road bike if 100% of your riding is going to be on the road, which it sounds like it is. If you think you might be doing some trail or dirt riding a cyclocross bike is also a good option.

Buy used, if you're in a commonwealth country use gumtree, craigslist for murka, etc. Ebay is hit or miss but worth checking out.

Here in California I can get a very nice mid-end 80s Japanese steel road bike for around a hundred dollars if I keep my eyes sharp.

The most important thing is fit, never buy a bike that is too big for you, most common first-time mistake. Better for it to be slightly too small than slightly too big.

The bike buy general thread has been dead for a while, but if you can give me a rough location, your height and your budget I can take a looksee for you.
>>
>>914661
>>914664

Didn't realize BBG was back up, post those stats in the appropriate thread here:

>>914413
>>
>>914664
>>914665

cheers mate, will do.
>>
File: Doogee 1195.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Doogee 1195.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
hey,

I'm building a bike.
my first geared one, 1x9.
everything is fine, but it shifts inconsistent and the gear is jumping in the smallest cog and is quite noisy.

I adjusted the limit screws (without cable tension) and the b screw.
I also used a lockring from a 7 speed casset, could that be the problem
>>
File: Doogee 1197.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Doogee 1197.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>914674

another view
>>
>>914674
Why would you adjust anything without tension, when you apply everything it is bound to have a bit of offset.
Also steel frame bendy hanger, check if its straight.
>>
File: Doogee 1199.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Doogee 1199.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>914675

its a steel GT Timberline from around 94 (?) and has an integrated steel hanger

I tried to bend it before, but it's super robust.

also what would the estimated cost of this be if I took it to a shop ?
>>
>>914676

aren't you suposed to adjust limit screws without tension ?
>>
>>914677
No more than €20

>>914678
H yes, L no
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
hello /n/,
this is admittedly my first visit to this particular side of 4chan, but if i know anything about 4chan, it's that it is filled with unofficial experts respective to the individual boards. anyway, i'm not entirely sure if that made sense or not but essentially i was paying homage to all of you because i trust that the majority of you know what you are talking about when it comes 'transportation,' e.g. bicycles, perhaps?
let's get right down to it, shall we... i've moved back into my folk's place after recently breaking up with mygirlfriend. well, the time has come, already, for me to get back on my feet and move out of my parent's house because, hey, it just has. rewinding just a tad: while my ex and i were still together, i got a dui and had my license suspended for a year. i had disparingly been reduced down to public transportation (and the rare occasion that she'd let me use her car, but that's irrelevant), in addition to the fact that i now found myself needing a bike very, very badly. well, it just so happened that my ex's mother and i ended up being pretty close and she had taken it upon herself to snipe this beauty (pic related) from a local garage sale for a measely $25 and gift it to me. FAST-FORWARD: as i mentioned earlier, the time has come for me to start saving up the means to moving out and getting my own place, but i am going to need all the financial gains i can get; selling this bike for a nice little profit - which is going to require me to know a little something-something before i can do so.
i couldn't find much on the internet about this here bike, which is why i've turned to you all in hopes that you could help me out a little by giving me any and all (hopefully) helpful and interesting history about the bike!

>tl;dr saving up enough money to move out of parent's house so i'm selling this bike (pic related) gifted to me by my ex's mother, but i need to know a little somethin-somethin about it, first, to do so.

thank you in advance!
>>
>>914690

dude , don't sell it.
it's a fine bike but you'll probably won't get a reasonable amount of money for it.
I'd say , you having it has a much greater value than the money you'd get for selling it.
>>
>>914690
Shouldn't have had alcohol and then drive in the first place. You could have killed someone.
>>
>>914702
Shouldn't drive in the first place. You could have killed someone.

FTFY
>>
wew lads bar ends make a massive difference
>>
So, /n/, I had a dipshit moment while removing old brake cables from '90s road bike and lost the spring from the caliper's barrel adjuster. Searches keep bringing up in-line adjusters instead of spring-loaded caliper adjusters. Wat do?

Caliper model is Shimano RX100 BR-A550.
>>
>>914762
Go to a hardware store and get a small compression spring, or find another brake you can take the adjuster or spring from.
>>
File: fatdeer.jpg (901KB, 3646x1329px) Image search: [Google]
fatdeer.jpg
901KB, 3646x1329px
>>914690
"Missing the Point"< the post.
,,,,,,,, i cant help this?, or CAN I!?
,SSSSSLAP!, RIDE the BIKE!!
, is it working?,SLAP!
,,,also, take "Mom,, to lunch.
>>
File: 070929_raleigh04.jpg (552KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
070929_raleigh04.jpg
552KB, 1600x1200px
Longshot, but does anyone know if there's a way to get the pins out of a Shimano rear derailer parallelogram? I have one of pic related that I'd like to disassemble for refinishing, don't see anyway to do so.
>>
>>914828
They're pressed in.
>>
>>914677

I had a similar problem.

I was using a cassette spacer that was not intended for the cassette I was using. The cassette spacer goes on before the cassette... I'm not sure when and why, but some cassettes / hubs require them.

Anyways, check and see if one is in there. Mine was pushing the smallest cog out far enough that the chain was almost rubbing the frame and it was all sorts of fugged up.

You could order a cheap 9 speed cassette on amazon. Your bike is heavy so a heavy cassette... nbd

Other possibilities:

* are you sure you have a 9 speed shifter?

* is your derailleur 9 speed compatible?

* are you using a 10/9/8 speed chain? (all should work OK on a 9 speed cassette)
>>
>>914677

btw very cool choice for your first geared bike. Love those splatter paint GTs

I had some chain-drop problems on my 1x but a raceface narrow wide chainring fixed it right up
>>
SRM recently listed some crank based power meters for sale online. For around AU$5000 each.

I know power meters aren't cheap, but this is abnormal, does anyone know what's up? Is it a joke?
>>
File: 20160117_161255[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_161255[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
you guys think this is a crack in the frame? Bought the bike about a month ago but I didn't see this (might be new, might be old, I honestly have no idea)
It's not on the other side of the frame, but it's very symmetrical and kinda goes in a circle. If not a crack, what is it?
>>
>>915210
It's a chainstay protector you dingus.
>>
>>915212
well you learn something new every day
thanks friend

[spoiler]I'm new to biking [/spoiler]
>>
>>914828
waaay too much wrap on that derailleur. try adjusting the b limit in about 5 turns
>>
>>915210
>>915219
For future reference, if you think you've found a crack on your frame -ad you don't want to damage the paint investigating- cover it in a brightly colored finger nail polish go for a ride before it dries.

If it's a crack in the frame, after the ride you'll see the polish has seeped into the crack. If it's more superficial, the polish will dry uniformly over top of it.
>>
>>915070

I'll check for spacers , thanks !

I'm certain it's a nine speed shifter, deraileur and chain.
the paint is really nice, the whole frame is in great condition and was a streal
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (519KB, 1024x694px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
519KB, 1024x694px
>>914280
OP here, check this out

I sold that bike in the OP to a girl last year and just found it on Craigslist with the >implying sticker still on it lmao.
>>
>>915344

>One of the tirest went flat shortly after I brought the bike home
>Bought it used around a year ago and haven't take it out once

Dumb lazy cunt
>>
>>915345
I patched the tube and been riding it like that for a week so I thought it was fine but I guess not
>>
>>915348
and had been*

Also if she hasn't ridden the bike in a year because of a flat tube she's the dumb lazy cunt

Plus it only cost her $70 and here she is selling it for $100
>>
>>915350
>she's the dumb lazy cunt
That's exactly what I meant
>>
>>915374
I thought you meant I was a dumb lazy cunt because I can't patch tubes properly
>>
>>914280
anyone here know a lot of DH bikes? I have someone willing to sell me a 2009 Kona Stinky, cautious as to it might be stolen or overpriced. Dont know how much it is to service the suspension as well.
>>
File: lv2dans.jpg (112KB, 1363x594px) Image search: [Google]
lv2dans.jpg
112KB, 1363x594px
>>915418
Why even worry about buying a stolen bike? Either way the original owner doesn't have it and you're getting a better deal.
>>
>>915420
well, is the bike good at all? i dont want to get it and have to overhaul the linkage bearings and service the rear shock
>>
>>915423
Well it's a Kona so obviously it wasn't a bad bike when he bought it 6 years ago/stole it.

You're just going to have to see it in person to know if it was beat to shit or ridden a couple of weeks in the summer of 2009. If it was ridden often and hard for those 6 years, then yes, you will probably have to replace some things.
>>
>>915425
got any info on whats the best suspension for FR/jumps?
>>
5'11'' - 31'' inseam
185 pounds
Looking for a commuter bike. to and from work 5 days a week and then commuting to school. say 100km a week.
600$ top budget.
Usedvictoria. ca
I see a Cannondale for 550. here's link: http://www.usedvictoria. com/classified-ad/Cannondale-R700-Roadbike_26188871
>>
>>915434
This isn't bbg
>>
>>915434
location? id get a shitty dept. BSO beater bike for commuting or a cyclocross bike.
>>
>>915437
Victoria bc.

I'd like to take it on bike trips aswell. I had a shitty road bike before. spent 75$ to see if I enjoyed biking
>>
why do my tubes keep popping, /bqg/?
how often do you get a puncture/pop
I keep getting them, at LEAST every month.
>>
>>915532
I had a LOT of punctures (6+) on kenda kountaches last year, and it got worse as they wore down around the 2k km mark.

Replaced them with some schwalbe ones and have only had two in more distance. One was a tack someone had put down so I don't think that even counts.

Anyway, it depends on a lot of factors. Are your tyres getting pierced (and what are they)? Or are they pinch flats?
>>
>>915532

Check to see where your tubes are failing. If they're pinch flats, learn how to install tires correctly.

If it's punctures, invest in heavier "touring" style tires plus tire liners.

I've had two flats all last year: one was a pinch flat after I got a brand new set of tires on my racer, and the other was a 2 inch nail that punctured far enough to buttfuck the rear rim of my commuter. Fucking mexiqueers.
>>
>>915532
Inflate your tires with a pump that has a gauge at least every two weeks. I find if you maintain proper tire pressure you can practically eliminate flats. Make sure you tires are not worn out or frayed on the inside. Avoid the biggest pot holes and bumps.
>>
>>914280
Pedestrian here, why the hell would anyone bike in the city? Bikes make perfect sense in towns with empty streets and sidewalks, but why would you bike in the city, where you're a hazard to pedestrians and a liability to drivers?

Also, what should I look for when buying a decent cheap bike? Chances are I'll be in chicago next year, so I'm basically expecting the thing to get stolen at some point.
>>
>>915418
Kona Stinkys are not worth much. How much does he want for it?

>>915420
>What's wrong with rewarding people who steal bikes?
gee, I dunno

>>915428
It's not really possible to differentiate them along those lines. The only universal is URT = shit
>>
>>915675
He wants 1000, the pics show clean paint, and the forks and shock look good, just that I know marzocchi suspension is $$ to service
>>
>>914556
s-s-sorry, i just suck hard at climbing
>>
>>915612
>where you're a hazard to pedestrians and a liability to drivers?
not if you're attentive and ride predictably. which is not to say that the onus of Not Getting Hit by A Car is on the bike rider, only that there are ways to ride which minimize your risk to other traffic users. But at the end of the day, the guy behind the machine that can maime humans easily bears the brunt of responsibility when navigating traffic
>>
what are some crucial bike accessories for someone commuting to school and work everyday. Right now in looking for;
A nice helmet, rain gear, gloves, a waterproof backpack, lights, and a bike lock.
>>
>>915691

Wouldn't buy it without touching it first. There is a 1% chance it's worth it and a 99% chance it's been thrashed to pieces by a series of grommy little shits who have done exactly 0 maintenance before selling it to the next muppet. Unless it's god damn immaculate member of the 1% then $1000 is way way way too much.

...and Marz cost no more or less to service than any other brand. Especially considering I'm guessing it has 888's or DropOffs on it? In which case they are a piece of piss to work on.
>>
>>915808

rack and some panniers
>>
WTF is up with Specialized? It seems like at basically every price point they're using 1 or more tiers of drivetrain down from other manufacturers (ie sora where others have tiagra, tiagra where others have 105, etc)
>>
>>915808
fenders.

a pump and patch kit.
>>
>>915808

Flat repair kit for sure(tube or two, a quality set of tire levers, patch kit and a tire boot, handpump over co2 for commuting), a multi-tool with a chainbreaker and spoke key and a few extra chainlinks. Stuff a granola bar in the bag if you have extra space for energy emergencies.

FENDERS, for wet weather fenders are arguably more important than the rain jacket. Raining coming down from above is clean, water kicked up by your tires is filthy as fuck.
>>
>>915943
>>915935
>>915829

Noice thanks for the tips, I need to find a headlight for the bike as-well. Everything on amazon looks like shit. Im in canada too, amazon.ca is balls
>>
>>915943
Few comments on this:

>Flat repair kit for sure(tube or two, a quality set of tire levers, patch kit and a tire boot, handpump over co2 for commuting)

Yes tire lever, patch kit, and spare tube. But two tubes is overkill for commuting.

>a multi-tool with a chainbreaker

I've never liked multitools with chainbreakers; they're always either a shit chainbreaker, overly bulky, or sacrifice critical tools to make space for the chainbreaker. A smaller multitool and a standalone chainbreaker has served me well. My travel kit has a Part Tool CT-5 and a Crank Brothers m10.

>spoke key

They said commuting, not touring. I can't imagine my wheels suddenly going far enough out of true on my commute that I'd rather fix it on the side of the road rather than back in my garage.

>and a few extra chainlinks.

See above: not touring. If you break a link, you can make it home a link short and being careful about not cross-chaining small-small (or even close to it).

To >>915808 I'd also strongly recommend a rear rack and a pannier bag; way nicer to ride with than a backpack.
>>
>>915951

I have a sigma and cygolite headlights, both work well. Light and Motion is also a very good brand you might want to look into.

My first light was 200 lumens because /n/ told me it was enough for the well lit areas that I commute through. While this is true, in my opinion it's better to spring for a 400-600 lumen option, and use it at the lower settings. This way, you still crank out 200 lumen but have much longer battery life, as well as having the option to use the higher settings for darker areas you stumble upon.

My sigma is 200 lumen max, and lasts about 2 hours at that setting. My Cygolite is 600 lumen max, and the lowest non-blinking setting is about 200 lumen and lasts just under 5 hours. Worth spending an extra 30 bucks and getting a brighter light just for the extended battery life, I think.

I have two rear lights, a piece of shit blackburn I bought from merlin for 6 bucks and a cycliq fly6 that I use for commuting. The cycliq has a built in video camera with a lot of cool functions.
>>
>>915847
>WTF is up with Specialized? It seems like at basically every price point they're using 1 or more tiers of drivetrain down from other manufacturers (ie sora where others have tiagra, tiagra where others have 105, etc)
Dealers gotta pay for them pretty shops somehow, bro.

I understand why Specialized sells the way they do, and I entirely agree that it's their right to do so.
But nowadays I get most of my stuff online, and that totally rules out anything from Specialized. I don't own anything from them and don't see that I ever will.
>>
>>915952

Fair points on the chain breaker and the links, but I've needed a spoke key once while commuting and didn't have it. fucked my wheel and it was badly enough out of true that it scraped the brakes once a rotation. Now my kit has a spoke key and it's there to stay.

I also carry two tubes because on three occasions I've given away a tube to a stranded cyclist with a flat. After that situation I still want one tube for myself, just in case.
>>
Is there any difference in spacing between chainrings and front derailer cage width between 7 and 10 speed groups?
>>
>>915982
Yes
>>
What do you look for when buying a second hand bike? I want a compact crank. What weight is decent for a road bike? Apart from it being large enough for me, what else is there? I have a mountain bike that is heavy and not well suited to road use.
>>
I bought a xt deraileur used, and it came without cable tensioner.
can I buy these seperatly?
I bought a cable tensioner the last time i ordered stuff online but it dosen't fit.
>>
>>915954
damn son. 75 bucks for the cheapest cygolite.
>>
>>915994
the line between large enough and too large is pretty fine, so go get a bike fit.

compact cranks weren't popularized until ca. 2009; it might be hard to get your hands on a used bike with a compact crank for as cheap as you want. if you go mid 80's-mid 90's steel road, you'll find some great values, but none will have compact cranks.

20lbs +/-2lbs is common for quality road bikes
>>
>>915811
It's bomber forks and Roco coil rear shock. I've had bombers before and they were okay, only forks I've had that broke front wheel axles although... Gunna see the bike tomorrow if it's the latter where, he just rode it for 2009-2010 summer
>>
>>915532

>tfw have had literally 0 (ZERO) punctures since I slapped on my 25c Michelin Lithion 2 tires

Feels good man
>>
>>915532

went from once a week to none simply by going from 23 to 28mm
my buddy did the same with the same results
>>
>>916066
it's kind of weird when that happens. I have three bikes, all with Pasela TG tires. One has 25s, another has 28s, and the last has 32s. The one with 25s gets a rear puncture every other time I take it out. The other two never get flats.

Is there something about running at higher pressures that makes it easier for shit on the road to penetrate tires?
>>
File: SHIM-MECHR-RDTX35.jpg (558KB, 1181x1500px) Image search: [Google]
SHIM-MECHR-RDTX35.jpg
558KB, 1181x1500px
I have a 2014 Trek 820 that came with a Tourney TX35.

Most of my riding has been about 2 miles total back and forth from work. Ride 5 days a week mostly on road but there is a short cut that is off-road (packed sand hill with a couple of muddy low spots) I take when there is a lot of traffic on the road. Occasionally I'll take it on a horse trail or do more biking going to different hangers on base for work.

I'm not entirely sure how I did it but I mostly broke off 2 teeth off of both jockey wheels. The derailleur still works but it is noisy. Only thing I can think of is something got caught in my chain. I was going to just replace it with another identical derailleur but I was wondering about upgrading it.

A new TX35 is less than $10. Like most places online the shipping is as much as the cost of the part. I did see the Altus and it seems to have good reviews. Rivendell seems to thick highly of it but then again they are a place trying to sell it.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Altus?
If it isn't good for my application what would you suggest?
>>
>>916121
Altus is good, I've used that for my winter beater bikes because shimano tourney is bottom of the barrel low quality. Altus is good, way better.
>>
File: altus.jpg (72KB, 461x600px) Image search: [Google]
altus.jpg
72KB, 461x600px
>>916121
Also the TX35 has always refused to shift in below freezing weather until I've been riding for at least 10-15mins. This is the first bike I've owned since I was a little kid. Are all rear derailleurs like this or is it just bottom of the barrel ones?
>>
>>916126
All of them are, it's because your cables are frozen and maybe you should try using full cable housing, but it don't matter if ice is inside the dérailleur, I usually carry a pocket knife to pick the ice out
>>
Recently got a lightweight bike and I'm looking to invest in some lightweight wheels, what's the best I can do relative to price? Thanks
>>
File: size0.jpg (83KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
size0.jpg
83KB, 640x426px
>>916144
How much do you weigh?

That isn't intended to be an insulting question but I need an honest answer to help. Most lightweight wheels are at least marketed as "racing" wheels. They tend to be designed for riders on light weight "racing" frames who weigh tops 160lbs.

Lets say 10% margin of error. If you weigh more than that...well eventually the wheel will start to go out of true and you'll probably break a spoke or worse have a catastrophic wheel failure.

Now there probably is some fat ass who is riding a chinese ebay carbon frame on chinese ebay carbon wheels with chinese ebay carbon spokes and is perfectly fine but that isn't a risk I'd take...and mind you I crew on the CH-53E. A platform that has put 5 in the ground since I started crewing.
>>
>>916155
143lbs although I'm trying to put on weight because I am 6'2" so don't worry I am a climber.
>>
>>916158
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bike-wheels?sort=%2Bprice

Mavic makes a damn fine wheel
>>
>>916155
if you really think racing wheels are only designed to accommodate 160 lbs riders, you're delusional. this has to do more with the quality of the build than the quality of the rim, and if the build can't handle at least 50 lbs more than that, it's a piece of shit wheel that you shouldn't touch. working on a helicopter gives your opinion literally no extra weight.

a wheel that could fail catastrophically for a 180 lbs rider is a piece of shit wheel that would fail catastrophically for anyone.

>>916158
you're a climber but you're trying to put on weight? I don't understand
>>
File: barney.jpg (727KB, 1269x2216px) Image search: [Google]
barney.jpg
727KB, 1269x2216px
>>916190
I don't think you understand what I was getting at.

Racing wheels are designed to deal with what is actually more abuse that people think happen to them. Problem is they aren't designed as a life long item. That is not to say every racing wheel will fail catastrophically but they will wear out faster than say a Velocity Atlas.

A heavy rider WILL wear out ANY wheel of ANY type faster. When people operate worn equipment stupid shit happens, unintended shit, stuff that the engineers may have never expected in their life times. That's why I mentioned catastrophic failure. Although remote, even with a heavy rider, it is a distinct possibility and one that people have posted about here.

Somewhere in and around 160lbs is the design point for racing wheels as that is the heavy end of most racers. When was the last time you saw a linebacker at a race?

I brought up what I do because what I do is risky. I've only been doing it 4 years and I know people that my platform has killed and crippled both flying and doing ground maintenance. He was talking about inexpensive wheels. I was trying to convey that I personally thought going too cheap was a risk that even I wouldn't take.

I'm no great writer but I though I was making my point clear. Apologies good sir.
>>
>>916144
campy/fulcrum wheels from wiggle or chain reaction. I like the Campy Mega G3 medium-profile wheels (Shamal, Eurus, Zonda, Scirocco) because the spoke pattern is neato and they're bomb-proof, even for fatsos. They are seriously stiff, though, so if your ride is already harsh, they might not be good. Shamal have nice ceramic bearings, but the bearings on the other wheels are good, too.

If your ride is already harsh or you do a lot of climbing, the Campy Neutrons are a good alternative to the G3 wheels. They're a little softer and better for climbing.

Of course that's just general purpose wheels. Aero is another game entirely.
>>
>>916207
It doesn't matter if wheels are "harsh"

You should never buy soft wheels to improve ride quality.

Lack of wheel stiffness leads to laterally flexy wheels, vertical compliance is virtually unaffected. Lateral flex leads to rubbing, wheels coming out of true, and a mushy feel under power. They will do almost nothing to improve ride quality. Wheels should be as stiff as you need them, and if you're not sure, stiffer than you need them.
>>
>>916209
I agree, but the G3 wheels are well reputed for being insanely stiff, to the point where some people have grumped about it. The Neutrons are just very stiff, but not soft by any means. Nobody would recommend them as climbing wheels if they were mushy.
>>
>>914375
>many kilometers

u can just say many miles
>>
>>916217
It's psychosomatic. They're told it's stiff, then they think it's stiff, then they blame it for being stiff.
>>
>>916206
you're being very reasonable here and I appreciate that you're trying to give good, impartial advice

with that said, you're absolutely right that heavier riders wear out everything faster. but what is the alternative? even a touring wheel that lasts 40 years for a light rider might only last 10 years for a heavier rider. but what is the heavier rider to do? he still has a need for wheels.

I'm also not sure 160 lbs is truly on the heavier end of most racers. obviously if you go up to cat 1 or 2 most riders there have very little excess fat and can thus get that low, but most people buying race wheels are really just freds looking to take 500g off their wheels so they don't have to lose any weight. an average 5'11" guy can be well over 160 lbs without even thinking he's fat. a wheelbuilder for team sky might choose his parts knowing that none of the riders are going to be above that weight, but manufacturers selling to the general public are building their shit for a much wider range of people.

as I said before, what's the alternative? is he just to not buy race wheels? race wheels aren't inherently more fragile than non-race wheels, I'd argue that a quality set of zipps or mavics or whatever is almost certainly going to be safer than whatever comes on pretty much any road bike you buy off a shop floor.

fortunately he seems to be a fairly light rider, so he most likely won't be pushing any wheels to their limits, but what if he wasn't? if he was 220 lbs would you tell him to just get a set of 29er wheels and put 1.75" hybrid tires on there? sure that would probably be stronger than 700c racing wheels with 25c slicks, but if that was his only option he'd probably just not upgrade his wheels at all.

what I'm trying to say here is that there's always a risk of equipment failure, and all you can do is make sure you're buying well-maintained, authentic, quality products from a vendor that you trust to have properly built and examined the wheel.
>>
>>916226
Magnus Bäckstedt was around 200lb when he won Paris-Roubaix, and there have been other heavy bastards who have done okay in the pro peleton.

I'm around 220 these days and my "racing" wheels (Campy Eurus) are much better than my supposedly stout custom wheels built around DT RR585 rims. I hope I can get my fat ass back down under 200 soon, though, because I love climbing and being heavy makes climbing suck.
>>
>>916190
>you're a climber but you're trying to put on weight? I don't understand
Well there's a line between being light and being unhealthy.
>>
>>916231
Said Froome never
>>
>>916234
And I tell you what if I ever go pro I'll go full Froome for you
>>
File: 1453088362626.jpg (87KB, 498x549px) Image search: [Google]
1453088362626.jpg
87KB, 498x549px
>>916236

Yessssssss
>>
>>914375
>Advocating the use of other non-SI units not recommended for use
This website is intended for an international audience, hence internationally standardised units should be used exclusively as far as is possible.

>>914389
>No space between the number and the unit symbol
Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
File: 9973462_81966_full.jpg (77KB, 899x768px) Image search: [Google]
9973462_81966_full.jpg
77KB, 899x768px
Okay so I fucked up big time.

I bought an OnGuard Bulldog Mini U-lock a few months back, and things have been great up until now. The thing's invincible.

But there's one problem: They keys are made of gallium and silly putty.

I put it in yesterday and applied the least amount of torque possible, and the thing twisted and snapped off inside the lock.
It took a team of police two hours to cut through, so it was obviously sturdy as fuck, but the keys are hot garbage.

Are there any similarly invincible locks that don't have shitfuck keys and don't cost $100?
The keys are the important thing, I think the crackheads around here would have trouble with a U-lock made of plastic.

Pic isn't even me, this is just such a common thing with them.
>>
>>916325
Complain to them and see if you can get a new lock, see if there's a steel key blank you can get a locksmith to make a copy with.
>>
File: GPII.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
GPII.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
after 3500 km both of my tyres are full of cuts in the side (pic related). I'm running conti GP 4000s II.

Which tyres do you recommend? It's for my road bike tat i also use to commute 25 km daily. Was considering either the GP 4 seasons or gatorskins hardshell
>>
>>916389
Gp4s is inbetween 4000s2 and gatorskin. Gatorskin if you are sick of punctures but don't grip as well
>>
>>916389
Are they cuts or abrasions? There's a big difference. Abrasions can be caused by the way you store the bike, or the tire rubbing on the frame.
>>
>>916395
Deep cuts, some even bulging
>>
File: shoulder-shrug.jpg (2MB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder-shrug.jpg
2MB, 4288x2848px
total fucking faggot here:

can anyone direct me to a good resource for actually learning all the ins and outs of my bicycle? I'd like to get to know my bike better and be able to do regular maintenance on it myself without getting ripped the fuck off at bike shops to do a job that'd probably take me like 15 minutes to do myself.
>>
>>916398
check if you have a community bike shop nearby
>>
>>916398

Google sheldon brown.

Also probably better to have a few specific maintenance tasks in mind, like changing a cassette, minor wheel truing, etc.
>>
>>916398
and stop using homophobic slurs
>>
>>916402
thanks nigger
>>
>>916403
this is why no one in real life likes you
>>
>>916405

I like him, senpai
>>
>>916406
thanks m8
>>
>>916407

ugu

But in all seriousness, if you're just starting to get into maintenance, changing tire/tube, changing chain, changing cassette, front/rear derailleur adjustment are all things that any cyclist should know how to do.
>>
>>916408
it's all pretty much what i'm trying to learn. decided to buy a trainer to use my bike at home during the winter but the wheel i have on it is noisy as fuck. realized that to learn how to put an entire spare rear wheel together with a trainer tire on it would be a fuck lot less expensive than getting it done from a shop. wouldn't hurt to just learn everything else while i'm figuring it out.
>>
>>916409

Good stuff. If you're using a wind trainer a new trainer specific tire probably won't quiet it down that much, though. I use a wind trainer and rollers and I've resigned myself to the noise.
>>
>>916410
couldn't hurt to have one specific for the trainer so i can save my other tire for outdoor activity. it's also situated in a really small room, so the noise literally bounces off the walls everywhere and vibrates the floor. shit drives me nuts and i can't imagine who else can hear it.
>>
>>916411

Definitely, trainer specific tires last much longer and are cheaper than good quality road tires.
>>
>>916356
It's already gone at this point. I'm just wondering if there's any sub $50 locks that even have steel keys.

Brass is ass.
>>
>>916389
4seasons or Pro 4 Endurance v2 are good compromise tyres.
>>
>>916398
sheldonbrown.com

parktool.com

despite being the best overall resource, the navigation on SB fucking sucks. google for the type of repair or info you want to learn and include the word sheldonbrown in the search; this is the best way to find the right page(s) there.
>>
>>916389
In my experience Gatormemes are invincible but a little bit less comfortable

Never had a single flat since I switched, though, and I used to get about 3 a month before.
>>
>>916389
Gatorskin hardshell is the only tire that makes sense for a commuter

Shaving 15 seconds off a 10 mile commute is pointless if every 50-60 commutes you're 25 minutes late
>>
>>916448
What about when you're x minutes late because your tyre had no grip in the wet and wiped you out?
>>
File: nc_or_flooding_151207.jpg (748KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nc_or_flooding_151207.jpg
748KB, 1920x1080px
>>916449
I commute 9 miles on Memeskins in the Pacific Northwest through mostly chipseal and crumbled asphalt and I have never once wiped out on them.

They're not nearly as bad at gripping as people say.
I actually made it through a literal flood in them a few weeks ago.

Your lack of experience biking in the rain does not make them bad tires.
>>
Thinking about picking up a copy of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Is it any good as a general repair resource?
>>
Fuck /n/, the seller backed out last minute on the bike i was looking at. Now I'm unsure of what to get. I have a 500$ budget. 600$ if absolutely necessary. But id like to save that 100 for accessories like a helmet and lights.

Im 5'11" 170 pounds,
local used website usedvictoria. com and pinkbike. com.
>>
>>916467
my bad, this isnt bike buy general. Dont hurt me
>>
>>916448
>25 fucking minutes to change a flat

lol
>>
Is there any reason to leave enough cable so the bars hit the top tube like Sheldy says? To be honest, I'd rather the bars yank on the cables than hit the top tube in a crash, and just enough cable for 90 degrees still seems like more than enough because you still don't turn the bars that much.
>>
>>916470
>average gatorskin owner flat fix time
>>
For you commuters what would you consider a reasonable distance? I'm 35 miles from my school which is too far but I'm thinking about driving half way and biking the rest. Would 15-20 be doable?
>>
>>916503
Depends on the terrain, how much time you have, how fit you are etc.

15-20 miles is going to be at least an hour or so each way unless you're serious fast. 35 more like 2 hours each way.
>>
>>916503

I commute 17 miles one way, takes a little over an hour with those pesky traffic stops.

I'd say if it takes over an hour, then it's getting into the "too long" category. You don't want to waste more than 2 hours of your waking day on commuting.
>>
I never learned to ride a bicycle, which bike is best for beginners?
My friend tried to get me to learn on a mountain bike but it was huge and really intimidating, would a bmx be easier?
I'm not sure what kind of other bikes there are.
>>
>>916552

You're overthinking it, just get a pos you can won't care about. You're going to crash it anyways.
>>
File: F U C K.jpg (570KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
F U C K.jpg
570KB, 1440x2392px
I've been building up this frame and when I got it originally it had this shallow cut on the underside of the seat stays. Probably some nigger trying to cut off a lock some time before. My question is does this greatly compromise the frame? Can it be repaired?

For reference the frame is an 85' Myata 310

Thanks /n/igs
>>
>>916574

It most definitely compromises the frame integrity. Pretty risky to ride like that.

Good thing steel is reel, can be easily repaired.
>>
>>916574
If its steel and i assume it is, you can just call a welder to get it repaired
>>
>>916552
Get something that is low enough for you to comfortably place both feet on the ground and scoot along with. Practice keeping your feet off of the ground for progressively longer periods of time, then start pedalling. Congratulations: now you can ride a bike and own a bike that is too small for you. When you reach this point, come buy a bike that actually fits you properly.
>>
My mom wants to bike but she's getting old and she doesn't want to bike outside so she asked me to look for a trainer so she can ride at home (especially since it's really cold in NY right now). Can anyone recommend a good trainer? I've seen a few around the $100 range on Amazon but I'm iffy.
>>
>>916678
Amazon has desk cycles that have pretty good reviews. No need for a bike and a trainer and can be used anywhere a chair will fit
>>
>>916678
Didn't your dad just buy a bike for you?

Also if a bike is never going to be used outside, just get an exercise bikes. If it's not even going to be used for training for outdoor biking, get a recumbent exercise bike.
>>
>>916508

I only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester, so it shouldn't be too much of a time sink. I know I'd cave in and end up driving more often than not if it was 5 days a week.
>>
I've got an old steel road bike. I'm no racer. Is it possible to replace the drop bars with curved ones, like on a cruiser? Is it a bad idea?
>>
>>916697
It's possible, it's not hard, it might be a bit expensive(new bars, new brakes, new brake cables, installation costs if you get an LBS to do it all) if it's what you want on your bike, it really doesn't matter if it's a bad idea or not.
>>
>>916697
Previous anon is right. Also be aware that because of the design of road bike frames, you'll need to stick to bars more like the ones pictured here - if you took a pair of bars off a typical beach cruiser they'd be too wide and stretch too far back towards the rider.
>>
File: 4482593205_6bcba3d745_z.jpg (128KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
4482593205_6bcba3d745_z.jpg
128KB, 600x518px
>>916702
oops, forgot pic
>>
>>916702
Because the stem's closer to the seat? Like, I want to sit up straighter. Do I just want them to be higher but no further towards the seat?
>>
>>916699

Brake levers, not brakes
>>
>>916705

It's possible but you need to be aware that after a certain point the bars will interfere with your pedal stroke. Go ahead and take a ride on your bike, being aware of where each knee is relative to your bars at the very top of that leg's stroke. If the bars are too close to that, it will feel very very unnatural.
>>
Hey there /o/. I just got a new mountain bike, and I really love it, but I need to swap the new wheels for my old ones so that I can commute on it and the tire won't rub on my fender. It's the first bike i've owned with disc brakes - is the wheel swap any more complicated than on one with V brakes? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>916708
You might need to adjust your brake calipers left-right slightly to match the rotor's position, but that's it.
>>
>>916708

Your old wheels are rim brakes(V brakes)? If so they're not compatible with Disc brake frames
>>
How do I measure my sit bone width so I know what saddle size to buy?

The cardboard and chalk method isn't fucking working.
>>
>>916823
You could try sitting on sand, or aluminum foil, instead.
>>
>>916830
Good idea, will try the foil
>>
Anyone ever heard of thumb joint pain from using drop bars?
>>
>>916869
That would be an unusual place for joint pain, but it could happen, maybe if you were constantly riding with a death grip on the bars/brake hoods.
>>
So how I fix this?
>>
>>916884
quit stealing bikes if you cant fix that
>>
>>914374
Simplest way is to get a small front hub motor <500W. It won't be strong enough to break a shitty bike, and front motors are really plug and play. Don't need to know anything about bikes.

EBay is a cheap place to get a kit. Aliexpress a good place to get batteries.

If you need good support ebikes.ca is a good place to buy from.
>>
>>916893
>aliexpress batteries
Not even once. Literally one of the worst places to get batteries.
>>
>>916885

I didn't steal. I borrowed it from my friend and this happened. It was working when I came home. Then the crown just stopped and I couldn't pedal anymore.
>>
>>916884
Fuck man, I think you damaged the brake to get the brakes bent like that. The brakes are probably gone too, and you might have damaged the wheel as well. You will probably have to buy a new bike. Sorry anon.
>>
When I ride up reasonably steep hills (12-20%) my lungs give out way long before my muscles; is this normal anons?
>>
>>916884
both brake arms have a spring to pull them away from the wheel - first verify that the spring on the right arm is still working/engaged, if it is, you can readjust the centering by little screws on each brake arm, they change the spring tension.

>>916990
That's normal if you're riding out of the saddle a lot.
>>
>>916990
Other way round for me. Once I get warmed up my muscles give out before my lungs.
>>
>>917005
The wheel isn't in straight. That's what's pushing the brake arms to the side.

It either slipped in the dropouts, or something broke.
>>
I find myself having to move back on the saddle a lot. Should I move my saddle forward or do I need to git gud and improve my posture or something?
>>
>>917049

You should tilt the nose up
>>
>>917063
I tilted it forward before because I was getting a lot of perineal pain.

Should I just get a new saddle?
>>
>>917066

Maybe. Try moving it around first, tilting it back/forward, sliding it fore/aft, raising it or lowering it, whatever.
>>
>>914280
I've gone through 3 shifter cables. I can't get the front derailleur to shift into the big ring, sram rival. I set the limit to the big ring, upshift & tighten cable, downshift then set the lower limit according to all videos out there. My problem is that it will not shift after setting everything exactly the same. It will shift once, then it gets progressively weaker until the point that it doesnt shift into the big ring. The cable tension is also as high as it can go, feels like I would break the lever if it was higher. I do not want to bring it to the shop, as they will charge $20 for it. What am I doing wrong? My bike has a pulley thing on the seat tube .
>>
>>916679
Alright I'll be sure to look into that.
>>916685
oh boy, someone remembers me.
Nah she has an old 21-speed that I helped fix up during the summer and she wants to use that. The reason she's opposed to a static exercise bike is because of the space (the spacing/how she organizes things is weird where she lives). But I'll look into a recumbent, thanks!
>>
My aluminum bike frame has developed a crack in the seat tube.

I was thinking about getting a welder to cut it and insert a smaller tube that he can weld to the frame and use that as the new seat tube.

Good idea?
>>
I want to replace the whole chain system on my MTB. Is this complicated at all? I am also looking to set up a tool kit for my MTB. I am currently looking on Amazon for stuff.
>>
>>917299

AFAIK it isn't cost-effective to repair a cracked aluminum frame. It can be done, but the risk of weakening the frame, as well as the same crack reappearing is too high. Sorry bruh, time for a new frameset?
>>
>>917301

Not too hard, although for a few parts you will need special tools. Cassette needs a special removal tool and a chainwhip. The bottom bracket needs a special type of cone wrench.

The rest is just allen keys, normal screw drivers, etc. A work stand helps a lot as well.
>>
>>917305
It's not cost effective to repair a steel frame either, unless it was a very expensive hand brazed custom frame.
>>
>>917309

That's true ahahaha.

Used bicycles are so freakin' cheap, no point in repairing unless it has a lot of sentimental value.
>>
>>917305
I like this frame though and the reason why it cracked is because the seatpost is only making contact with the seatube around a small area that lies above the weld

My idea is to cut the tiny section of the seat tube that makes contact with the seatpost and insert a longer tube into the frame that can then be welded.

The crack originated around the weld that joins the seattube with the top tube btw and heat treating the frame should be a matter of putting it in the oven
>>
>>917310
You basically only consider repair when the frame is worth more than $1000.
>>
>>917311
Expect to pay $500+ for any sort of serious frame repair that isn't just some guy spot welding a crack hoping it will hold, or welding a piece of rebar to your top tube when you're in inner Mongolia with a bike that's been snapped in half.
>>
>>917081
Is your chain angle too much? If you're trying to get onto the big ring the rear cassette should be on one of the smallest.
>>
>>917081

Super curious as to what the issue could be, if you figure out be sure to let us know. Could come in handy if another person has the same problem in the future.
>>
>>917081
Is the cable, pulley or derailleur slipping?
Also, FDs want to "overshift" on the upshift some. You have to be a little loose on the limiter screws to account for this, or you'll put quite a lot of force ont he wire. I suspect it's this that's causing something to slip somewhere.
>>
>>917372
Note also that wire tension should never be 'as high as it could be'. That's a clear sign that your limiter screws are too tight.
There should be no greater force acting on the wire than the spring in the derailleur. Not at any time during shifting.
>>
Is 110 dollars a lot for a bike fit?

>http://www.bikegallery.com/about/bike-fitting-pg69.htm
>>
>>917384
no. most basic bike fits cost around 100-150. depends upon a range of things, but often the more tech the fitter uses, the more he can ask for a fit. also, if he's got certification from Serotta, Retuul, BG, GURU, FIST, etc., he can charge more. i'd make sure he's got some sort of certification, although there are good and great fitters who don't (read: me *winks* ). also, it's good if the fitter gives you your stack and reach coordinates at the end and maybe some strategies for off-the-bike conditioning to address on-bike posture challenges.

look up steve hogg; he's got a good rundown of what a good fit should look like
>>
>>917323
It's on the smallest cog in the rear.
>>917372
pulley is smooth, I tighten the cable clamp pretty snug. I did everything according to instructional videos
>>917373
My upper limit? Videos tell me to make it as tight as it can go, then backing off 1/8th of a turn. I use needle nose pliers to pull it tight as finger tight didn't work for me.

Could cable housing be an issue, with too much of a bend? Everything is brand new so no problems with wear and tear. My pulley is set to enter from NDS, then routes directly to FD. Not sure if it should go in from DS, then going to NDS, cables intersecting each other when anchored to FD. The few times I got it to shift into the big ring, downshifting is horribly scary with a loud bang.
>>
Since vintage 10 speed and modern track frames both have 120mm rear spacing, can you put a modern track hub in a 10 speed frame and vice versa? Or is there some catch like axle diameter or dishing or something?
>>
>>917400
the 10 speeds i've seen usually have 126mm rear spacing. someone correct me on this if i'm wrong
>>
File: 1432825511851.jpg (34KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1432825511851.jpg
34KB, 600x399px
does a 1x9 commuter need a chain guide ?
>>
>>917400

120mm is probably a track bike if I'm not mistaken

Putting a 130mm hub in a steel 126mm dropout is fine IMHO. A million people have done it. Steel flexes just fine. You can hand stretch the dropouts to get it in there

I know people running 135mm hubs in 130mm aluminum dropouts... Which is questionable but even then not 100% suicidal if you have long enough chain stays

Maybe hesitate if it's a super light weight classic race frame buy otherwise go for it and just check to make sure the wheel is aligned correctly. Slight chance one side will give more and put the wheel out of alignment
>>
>>917403

Depends. I tried without one and had chain drops. Some people have no problem. A narrow wide race face chain cured it. A regular fd can be used if you're cheap. Or if it's a triple crank and can do a bash guard sandwich. BBG bashguards in America sells them kinda cheap
>>
>>917407
>120mm is probably a track bike if I'm not mistaken
Yeah, i was asking if track hubs fit in 10 speeds and the other way around.
>>
>>917402
>>917407
Sheldon says that 120mm for 5 speed hubs (ergo 10 speed bike) and 126 is for 6/7 speed hubs.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
>>
>>917397
SMooth or not wasn't the issue. I'm wondering if the clamp that it, or the FD is on is slipping (up and down, respectively) on the seat tube.

And yes, your 'upper' limiter is way too tight. Also, don't pull on the cable with more than finger force when fastening it. That's what the barrel adjusters are for; taking up the slack and tuning.

Downshifting with a bang is also a sure sign that your cable tension is way, way, way to high. Most likely because your limiter screw is too tight.
You technically don't even need an upper limiter at all, so start by getting it working with the screw all the way out.
>>
File: 31jpo79yqRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (5KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
31jpo79yqRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
5KB, 280x280px
>>917403
Sometimes. You'll find out about your particular setup soon enough. I'm partial to this chain catcher design myself.
>>
File: DSCF6246.jpg (165KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6246.jpg
165KB, 800x600px
>>917425
Bad pic perhaps. This is what it looks like installed with double, but it's the same principle for a single. Just mount it at chain height for singles instead of slightly high as in the pic.
Works wonders for my 1x10, is perfectly silent, cheap and discrete.
>>
>>917410

Oh I'm an idiot. Reading on a phone

Shouldn't have to re-dish. Just throw that tarck wheel in there or vice versa

don't know about axle diameters but I'm guess no issue
>>
File: IMG_0473.jpg (929KB, 2612x1959px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0473.jpg
929KB, 2612x1959px
Do you guys use gloves, or just any protective gear other than helmets in general?

I've started to ride not too long ago, and have been doing some runs at nights just to improve my stamina in general.

I got back with pic related on my hands. I just wonder if that's common or not
>>
>>917432

I use gloves but only because my hands sweat a lot and slip from the hoods. I've found that a lot of riders kind of frown upon wearing them though, not sure why.

And no, that's not common.
>>
>>917432
No it's not common and normal bike gloves won't help. They are designed to provide cushion rather than protect against friction. They would disintegrate under this kind of stress. Something must be wrong with your grips. What do you use?
>>
File: xcrst-2.jpg (241KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
xcrst-2.jpg
241KB, 900x720px
>>917403
i get the chain dropping on my commuter, and use this for £20 it's bloody excellent and they offer BB or direct mounts as well as the seat tube pictured.
>>
>>917432
Gloves pretty much all the time. On the road it's mainly to keep my hands warm, as they seem to be susceptible to even moderately cool weather, apparently due to poor circulation.

Your pictured condition is not a common ailment of cyclists.

>>917434
>normal bike gloves won't help. They are designed to provide cushion
Please be a pleb elsewhere.
>>
>>917432

I've never seen anything like that.

Are you gripping the bars really hard? Most of the time you should have a loose grip. Most with the bike
>>
I'm getting a second hand power meter soon.

It's ANT+, but all my stuff is bluetooth. The Viiiiva bridge only works with their app. The Reflkt+ is $100 and doesn't even work as a stand alone computer and has no sensors or maps. I could get a Garmin 520 with all the sensors and shit for $330, but then I have a second set of ANT devices and it is by far the most expensive option.
>>
File: 1429496111757.png (10KB, 420x444px) Image search: [Google]
1429496111757.png
10KB, 420x444px
>>917424
Sounds fair to me. I'll try to loosen the outer limit screw. I will report in a couple days or so. aregatou gojimasu cempai
>>
>>917468

Do you use your phone or a bluetooth computer? There are ant+ recievers that fit into your phone.
>>
>>917534
It's an iphone with 8pin, so I would have to run an ANT adapter plugged into a 30 pin to 8 pin adapter. That would also kill my ability to run an external battery with the phone.
>>
>>916448

Eh I've heard from a million people that they have no grip in the rain, hard to remove, and puncture protection is questionable. On top of being overpriced and heavy.

Rubino pros rule. At 120tpi you'll rarely get flats. I rode them seven miles a day in philly getting one flat a year ish
>>
>>916449
Maybe you should be more careful? I ride memeskins 30 miles a day (except during winter months when I ride studded tires, like now), and I've never wiped out in the wet. On some really steep climbs carrying a heavy load, I feel the rear tire slipping as I mash, but I manage ok.
>>
>>917544
I've never actually ridden gators, just relaying anecdotes.
>>
>>917540
>less than 2000 miles
>>
What brakepads won't disintegrate after a week of use?

Or alternatively, what brakepads don't cost $12 amelican dollarydingles + shipping?
>>
>>917569
Just get koolstops
>>
File: dogfacedwoman.jpg (36KB, 416x423px) Image search: [Google]
dogfacedwoman.jpg
36KB, 416x423px
>>917468

>I'm getting a second hand power meter soon.

So one for each hand?
>>
File: 1320551596484.jpg (364KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
1320551596484.jpg
364KB, 700x990px
>>917586
That's not baconrider anon
>>
>>917591
Who else would use a hand power meter?
>>
>>916897
I have 3 batteries from aliexpress, work fine. Has worked fine for a year.
They are 36v 13ah. For a small motor with peak draw being around 6 amps and average being 2-2.5 amps, it's been perfectly good. And at a third of the price of legally sold batteries.
>>
>>917569
Shimano R55C4. They're not squealy, awesome wet weather grip, great "feel" and modulation - and seems to last forever.

A bit noisy perhaps, but more of a scratchy noise.
>>
File: nano_blk_3q_2100.jpg (647KB, 2100x2356px) Image search: [Google]
nano_blk_3q_2100.jpg
647KB, 2100x2356px
I'm going to order a Mercier Nano and was wondering whether I should go for the 48cm or the 53cm version. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. According to their chart, the 48cm version would give me 2" clearance over the top tube and the 53cm version would give me a 0.5" clearance.
>>
>>917679
>13ah
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>917703

48cm. A bike a bit too small for you is easier to fit that one too large.
>>
Are there any tires out there that offer similar performance to gatormeme 4memesons but for a bit less?
>>
>>917711
Yeah, ran it from full charge to the ground and cycle analyst counts about 13ah too

Maybe I got lucky but I had no problems
>>
>>917703
Do they even still sell this? I thought they just had one shipment back in 2014 and that was it
>>
>>917741
Checked a couple weeks ago and bd didnt stock them anymore
Just checked it a couple mins ago and it's back on site. I just bought a bike two weeks ago and now i want this shit
>>
File: m8000.jpg (45KB, 558x359px) Image search: [Google]
m8000.jpg
45KB, 558x359px
are fenders something that are looked down upon like barends?
>>
>>917723
Depends what specifically you're after. If you want low flat risk and a decent ride quality, and aren't limited to using narrow tires, using the widest Pasela TGs that can fit in your frame will give you both (wider surface area means there's less pressure to drive pointy objects into your tire's casing).

>>917773
If you live someplace wet/muddy enough to make them useful nobody will look askance at them.

>>917773
>>
>>917774
I basically have a flat bar road bike that I'm building up as a commuter, so I'm looking for grip on wet and puncture resistance but can't get more than 700*25 while still mounting my fenders.
>>
>>917586
>filename

and this is why we hyphenate our compound words, everyone.
>>
File: CIMG4009.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG4009.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>917780
You always have the clearance to mount fenders if you believe in yourself

I run fenders on top of 32c, with a zero clearance road bike designed for 23c. You just need to believe (and not be retarded with tools).
>>
>>917773
For mountain bikes, sometimes yes. But just like bar ends they can be useful and who cares about people looking down upon it.
>>
>>917723
>>917780
Pasela TG?
>>
>>917773
Dual suspension mountain bikes are looked down upon
>>917802
If only this was true
>>917780
It's ok to say 'hybrid' in real life, disregard /n/ spergs
>>
File: 6343275792_f640c1e3bb_b.jpg (245KB, 1024x672px) Image search: [Google]
6343275792_f640c1e3bb_b.jpg
245KB, 1024x672px
>>917809
>If only this was true
But anon it is true, you just have to believe!

And buy a dremel.
>>
>>917812
That's a neat trick on the front wheel but what about the rear? You gonna dremel out the seatstay bridge?
>>
>>917802
Fair enough. I might give it a shot with 28s but i'm not confident in my repair skills quite yet.
>>
File: 8279811084_bfa537869b.jpg (104KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
8279811084_bfa537869b.jpg
104KB, 500x333px
>>917814
Not if you believe hard enough!

And buy a bunch of rear rack stays that you can spend six hours trying to bend into shape.
>>
>>917809
I think the phrase flat bar road actually applies here: i have sora and caliper brakes while I at least associate the term hybrid with mainly v brakes and a mtb drive train.
>>
File: 1444668112676.jpg (81KB, 400x541px) Image search: [Google]
1444668112676.jpg
81KB, 400x541px
>>917773
Since when have barends been looked down upon? And why the fuck would anyone look down on fenders?

This shit has gone too far
>>
It's been raining heavily here so the ground is wet as fuck.

I've got to go ride somewhere but I don't have fenders. Is there some way I could jury-rig up some fenders or something?
I've got a pannier rack. Would putting something over it so that it's not just a wireframe help stop my back from getting covered in dirty road water?
>>
File: Livers are for fags anyway.png (29KB, 683x402px) Image search: [Google]
Livers are for fags anyway.png
29KB, 683x402px
>>917875
Barends are supposedly frowned on because you could snag a tree with them while on the trail.

Or because through some crazy gymnastics you impale yourself on them.
Apparently that's the #1 cause of cycling-related liver damage.

Fenders are similarly frowned on because a rock could apparently somehow wedge itself perfectly between the fender and the tire to send you flying.

Fuck those people though. I need my endies and my fendies to survive.
>>
>>917817
congratulations you defeated half the point of having fenders in the first place

those calipers are gonna be filled with mud faster than you can say tite gaps
>>
>>917875
>Posting WR anon memes in /n/
Nobody will get that outside of /DBT/
>>
>>917938
Not me personally no. There's a workaround.

What you do is run a piece of inner tube where the gap is.
If you don't have enough clearance for that, then you're probably screwed anyway for many other reasons.

I couldn't find a pic and I don't have a camera to show you, but it works basically just as well as a full fender would.

We've been using this technique in the Pacific Northwest for years now. It rains 364 days a year here, so we've gotten it down to an art by now.
Pretty much any LBS around here can make this modification for you too.
>>
>>916884
Someone should really point out your wheel is not correctly seated

like at all
>>
>>917944
i did >>917773, but he's not funny
>>
>got bib tights for bday
>now the weather is starting to get warmer

For fucks sake.

Is 8C too hot for tights?
>>
>>917962
Are they thermal or anything?

I wear tights under 17 or 15 or so.
>>
>>917964
Nah they're not thermal.
>>
>>917950
"Someone" did in >>917037
>>
Is there an app or google function where I can put where I start, where I want to finish, and the amount of time I have and get maps of routes I can take in that time?
>>
>>914280
Is there a way to fix a sidewall cut? about 1/2 inch long. I have this thing called amazing goop I use for household gluing and it's pretty strong stuff, a drop smaller than a nose booger can make it impossible to unscrew a bottlecap when used.

The glue is claimed to be able to withstand to -45, which is suitable for my uses and has a rating of 3500 psi. It's like hot glue in a tube. I have glued it and it seems to be holding great but is it advisable to ride on it? It's waterproof and doesnt react to chemicals. Before you ask, it's an ice spiker with less than 4 months of use. I'd buy a new tire if it didn't cost me an escort visit.
>>
>>917569
OEM pads are fine usually - just get sintered/metallic instead of organic. The pads included with brakes at purchase are usually organic and wear out quickly.

>>917809
>Using high-performance equipment is looked down upon
Only for low-performance riders such as yourself.

>>918035
Garmin Edge 810, Explore 1000, 1000, Touring, Touring Plus models have that functionality. I don't know of any apps which perform similarly.
>>
>>917679
>>917730
>Abusing SI unit symbols

>>917703
>Mixing unit systems

>>917719
>>
On steel framed road bikes is it better to have a steel fork or a carbon fork. Obviously carbon is lighter but does it affect the ride much?
>>
I haven't *quite* garnered the funds necessary to purchase a good pair of clipless pedals and shoes, and my feet are fucking freezing during my rides. Is there any impromptu alternatives I can use to keep my feet from freezing until I can get a good pair of road shoes and overshoes?
>>
>>918136
Merino socks
>>
>>918110
I wanted to not want a garmin. I guess I know what I'm asking for for my birthday.
>>
>>917889
pls
>>
>>917964
>>917965
Wore them on a ride today, really comfy, was 8C outside and they were great and keeping my legs warm.
>>
File: 1310890916510.jpg (45KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1310890916510.jpg
45KB, 480x480px
really basic question.
I ride road and fixed for fun
I ride the fixie almost daily.
it's a pre cursa with a alpina track fork.
I've built a rigid 29er.
today was my first ride with it.
the steering feels super weird, as if I need super much force and I really have to steer with the bar instead of mostly just my weight on the bike ( does that make sense )
the headset turns fine though.

that's normal and I will get used to it , right ?
it's the different geometry, right ?
>>
>Evans Cycles just rung me up
>apparently I did a survey recently and scored a 6/10 and he was asking why
>was completely caught off guard and sperged out
>told him about the bike that was fucked last year when it arrived and some problems
>bloke says 'I'm sorry to hear that, it should have been sorted'
>reply with 'oh it's alright' and kick myself for saying that

Fucks sake I'm usually alright with phones but when I'm caught off guard like that I spill spaghetti.
>>
File: jake_the_snake.jpg (142KB, 1000x601px) Image search: [Google]
jake_the_snake.jpg
142KB, 1000x601px
I'm a bit of a noob on bikes, but would it be possible to buy for example jake the snake and swap it's cable brakes to hydraulics just like that?
>>
File: 1427181383038.jpg (316KB, 2199x2264px) Image search: [Google]
1427181383038.jpg
316KB, 2199x2264px
>>918294
>fixed
>>
how do you guys clean helmets with attached liners? does water or soap damage EPS at all? mine stank
>>
>>918307
Look for trp hy/rd brakes. They're a cable actuated hydraulic disc. Might be what you need.
>>
>>918307
Possible, but cost much more. If it's 10 speed you might be forced to go to eleven - with all of the component swaps that entails - when you want to upgrade the brakes.

Get a bike with hydros to begin with if you can. If you can't afford that right now, you would probably be best advised to buy a bike to ride while you save up for a bike with hydros - you'll be able to recover more money by selling a complete bike than all of the components you would need to swap out to convert a mech disc bike to a hydro disc bike.
>>
>>918309

yea I know.
it's fun tho.
>>
>>918307

You may be able to buy something like:
http://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-rs505-hydraulic-sti-road-disc-brake-set-pm/

And mount them to where the mechanical pads are. You'd need to change the brifters as well.
>>
>>918307
What the other anons said.

You'd need new shifters and those are one of the most expensive components on a bike.
>>
>crack appears on frame near seatpost
>bikeshop says they'll replace it under warranty
>but they can't get the same colour frameset any more

I'm gutted lads, that blue and orange is so beautiful to me. I don't know what to do.
>>
I can't shift into the big ring from my small ring some times, mostly on slight inclines. The derailleur will move, but the chain doesn't make it onto the big chain ring so it just ends up slapping and clicking on the sides of the derailleur cage. I've tried fidgeting with the barrel adjuster for cable tension by adding more, but it still doesn't seem to do it. Any suggestions?
>>
>>914280
moy
>>
>>914294
bo
>>
>>918333
>>918340
>>918414
>>918446

Thanks this is some really good and sound advice.
>>
>be me
>want to start cycling
>literally zero knowledge in bikes
>come to thus thread
>Don't understand anything
>might as well be fucking reading russian
>wat do guys?
I really want to learn so I can get into it but i don't know shit or where to start.please don't hate guys. Kinda desperate. This is like my 4th thread seeking this.
>>
>>918967

try the bike buy general
>>
>>914280
Fixies are cool
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.