[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/daily/ - Daily Album Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 103

File: dailybs.png (109KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dailybs.png
109KB, 1200x1200px
It's the 22nd of October

The point of these threads, is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to, and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

We track our progress using calendars, which we fill with the albums we listen to on each day and a rating of some sort for all of them. There are templates in the following posts. We encourage you to write the albums' titles and the artists' names somewhere on your calendar. We don't have any tools for creating these calendars, we use simple image editing softwares. You can predetermine a schedule for a month or you can report back on whatever album you randomly picked every day. Many of us make our schedules interesting in various way, popular ones being genre restrictions, new releases, and recs from the /daily/ community.

We had a plug.dj room, which we used to shitpost for a little while. It's now forever empty, so if you want to spend a little time there, it is too late. You can find the temporary substitute here though:

>https://synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel

no one should really be able to start the threads, but usually one of /daily/'s dedicated trips starts them anyways.

We encourage you to start it, just be sure to use the standard OP.

Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random shit:
http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

Most importantly, get taste
Previous thread >>61908620
>>
File: 1449941528425.png (2MB, 1984x1796px) Image search: [Google]
1449941528425.png
2MB, 1984x1796px
>Roly Porter - Third Law
Claustrophobic, somewhat intense digital ambience or something. Lots of grandiloquence, occasionally sounding like a Hans Zimmer score, but this is undercut by the occasional banal melody and constant motion. Disorientating and alternately spooky and silly (did I hear Ligeti samples again? what is this meme?) Thought I'd enjoy this but I didn't get it. Sort of like Waiting for Godot, but without the fun.
>>
first for memes
>>
>>61939891
>>61939895
fuck
>>
>>61939891
It's a solid album. Not exactly Raime tier stuff as I wanted it to be, but good.
>>
>>61939891
fuck
>>
>>61940380
big meh from me. he should work on some tv shows or mixed media installations.
>>
File: chart.png (1MB, 840x750px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
1MB, 840x750px
Edgar Broughton Band - Wasa Wasa (1969)

I was expecting to like this, so, disappointed to find it a sub-par blues rock jam.

Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana (1986)

An enjoyable mess of ideas crashing into and over each other. Side Two less successful overall than the Badalamenti-flavoured Side One, with transitions that are both more frequent and more abrupt. Hard to see myself with the desire to play this very frequently, mind you.
>>
File: chart.png (1MB, 840x750px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
1MB, 840x750px
>>61940426
Oops. Chart updated.
>>
>>61939865
Am I the only one that struggling to enjoy the lyrics?
>>
File: 1-22.jpg (2MB, 2400x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1-22.jpg
2MB, 2400x1440px
Einstürzende Neubauten - Halber Mensch (1985)

Ethereal and incredibly gritty at the same time. When I downloaded this I accidentally downloaded a cd version with some bonus tracks and I ended up listening to the bonus tracks believing they were part of the album. I know better now, but the bonus tracks were actually really great. Honestly if I didn't have a headache right now I may have rated this album higher so I'll have to listen to it again sometime, for now 7/10
>>
File: 1374087457782.png (34KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1374087457782.png
34KB, 666x666px
I'm doing math homework
Solved an equation, answer was 11.
Without even stopping, I thought to myself, "It's not even funny".

You did this to me, /daily/.
>>
File: americanprimitve.png (2MB, 838x682px) Image search: [Google]
americanprimitve.png
2MB, 838x682px
>>61937418
I liked John Fahey

>Peter Walker - Rainy Day Raga
Pretty music. I actually like the tracks where the guitar takes the backseat to some flute and drums. A lot of these songs sound good though, even those that prominently feature the guitar. I did enjoy a bit of a break from solo guitar playing.
>7/10
>>
File: Boards of Canada- Twoism (1995).jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Boards of Canada- Twoism (1995).jpg
63KB, 480x480px
Today's gonna be more electronic stuff, I guess. Starting with Boards of Canada.
>>
File: january2016.png (874KB, 1107x500px) Image search: [Google]
january2016.png
874KB, 1107x500px
Well, Maria Mena was really boring except for two or three songs, plain ballad type music, not my thingy.

TLC had a little more highlights, but again wasn't anything special. I guess 'Waterfalls' is a fluke, because I love the hell outta that song.

Julia Holter is up next, right now!
>>
File: R-539492-1242731596.jpeg[1].jpg (25KB, 599x533px) Image search: [Google]
R-539492-1242731596.jpeg[1].jpg
25KB, 599x533px
Snow Borne Sorrow (2005) by Nine Horses, recommended by Thomas

This is an almost strange album which actually brings to mind Bowie's final offering in several ways - a tired and weary voice given reign over faintly contemporary sounds and ideas. Even where Blackstar is quintessentially 10s this is very, very 2000s, nowhere more so than in the clear, up-close production and constant doubling of the voice. The 'new' here could be the drum beats occasionally augmented with tempered glitches, or the striving for an intimate, quasi trip-hop feel.

I think this album hinges upon that very distinct soundworld, and far too much. Many of these songs push past seven minutes despite having little to say, and the album runs to an hour but feels a lot longer. David Sylvian's voice is dry, cracked, and miked closely, giving a familiarly brittle sound. It draws attention to his front-and-centre lyrics, which are sadly substandard and borderline cringey, garnering the image of a withered grandfather passing down supposedly deep knowledge which is actually hackneyed or self-evident (one song is titled 'The Banality of Evil'; draw your own conclusions).

I don't think there's anything to criticise when a band or album lean heavily on a single sound - my favourite band are notorious for that, too - but it hedges all bets upon the listener's taste for that sound. Being as drawn out and unconvincing as Snow Borne Sorrow is I can't pretend to have enjoyed much of it, but I won't hold that against Sylvian.
>>
File: January.png (963KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
January.png
963KB, 1500x1500px
Finally finished this chart, will start the 2015 one now.

Album of the month would be Demonstration Tapes by Dolly Mixture, which I ended up liking slightly more than CTV and Oren. Shonay Shonay and Miss Candy Twist are both 10/10. Shonay Shonay may be slightly more 10/10.

I've got the idea of doing an entirely twee pop chart, but there's still two more charts to be completed before then.
>>
>>61942832
"electronic stuff"
>>
>>61943150
hush
>>
>>61943150

Well, the music I'm hearing so far seems to have been done by electronic means. I suppose it's more accurate to call it downtempo or ambient, but it doesn't have the musical arrangement associated with classical, jazz, or rock.
>>
>>61943150
you have no shame desu
>>
File: yanuarj.png (2MB, 1130x880px) Image search: [Google]
yanuarj.png
2MB, 1130x880px
feel bad for not posting in these threads, but w/e i get home late

>armand schaubroeck steals - ratfucker
good album. lyrically "gritty" proto-punk? rock n roll? w/ some kinda average instrumentation. imo sounds like if gg allin wasn't a punk and was heavily influenced by lou reed and iggy pop, but still did as much drugs. fav songs: ratfucker, buried alive, preteen mama

>the hit parade - welcome from the hit parade
some decent twee. although every song is p same-y, its a nice sound if you like lovey dovey twee. fav songs: forever, my favourite girl

>sk kakraba - songs of paapieye
def one of my favs this month. ghanan gyil player, regarded as the best by some. listen to it. watch a vid of him playing. shits dope start to finish.

>pope francis - wake up!
dont wanna talk shit on my nigga francis but p boring. maybe i wouldve enjoyed it if i actually understood what the fuck they were saying, not really tho most of it sounds like average ass catholic music, save for a few parts where there are some interesting synths.

>L'A Capone - Separate Myself
GBE - affiliate rapper, so its easy to guess how it sounds. most songs are about, ironically, murder with only two? songs straying from the hard-hitting drill. idk what to say, its 600, its GBE, its chiraq, its a good drill album by a very young nigga who had his life ended way too short. RIP LA. fav songs: i got it, some more, grindin

aight thats all i remember, will probably listen to the 2nd row this weekend
>>61942948
>3
why?? genuinely curious
>>
>>61943282
>musical arrangement associated with classical, jazz, or rock.
lol
>>
>>61943558
I've never really liked Lil Ugly Mane, but on this one I think his rapping sounds like shit, he can't pull off the aggressive El-P sound he was going for and his beats are unnecessarily abrasive and abstract to cover the fact that they aren't interesting. The whole album is like a worse version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGYSwgFJqE

Trick Dice was a much, much better release I thought.

But that's just my opinion, why did you feel it was a 9?
>>
File: DAILYAOTY.png (2MB, 1738x4500px) Image search: [Google]
DAILYAOTY.png
2MB, 1738x4500px
Anyone else want to be on this? I've already started it, by checking that Pratt was still 10/10, but I can always add more.

I also may have missed people who already asked to be on.

Also Givingbear, if you read this, how far have you got through this chart so far?
>>
>>61943872
Oh, me pleas? I missed when this was going around I guess.

>Aine O'Dwyer - Music for Church Cleaners Vol. I and II
>>
>>61943558
>>pope francis - wake up!
>dont wanna talk shit on my nigga francis
Kek of triumphant proportions
>>
>>61943787
lol bc im a LUM dick-rider, and i do agree w/ what you've said, except i kind of like it all. i do feel like the instrumental pieces were v unnecessary, really my 9 is just for the good tracks (mainly grave within a grave) on it and the fact that it might be his last album.
i was also very high listening to it the first time and i was like DAMN, now that i think ab it more sober ill probs change my rating if i add more albums. and yeah Trick Dice was w/o a doubt much better and one of his best production-wise.

>>61943872
add songs of paapieye for me!! my '15AOTY by far
>>
>>61943872
since TAW is already on there, you can put Blackbird Raum - Destroying for me
>>
File: tourney.png (832KB, 1568x998px) Image search: [Google]
tourney.png
832KB, 1568x998px
>>61944050
would you mind providing a download link for your album? i cant find it anywhere
>>
>>61944056
At-least we're somewhat in agreement, despite our ratings being 6 apart. I'll have to see if I can get more into Grave Within A Grave at-least.

Also yeah, the production on Trick Dice is phenomenal. That Lucid beat especially, especially when the organ comes in, ridiculous.

>>61943980
>>61944056
Added!

>>61944070
Multiples of the same album are allowed, but I'll add Blackbird Raum for now. Wouldn't want to listen to Liturgy twice anyway.
>>
>>61944283
I don't have one, try the archive, I believe that's where I found it. If not, change the rec to mongo santamaria- ¡sabroso!
>>
File: Quota1-21-16.jpg (292KB, 1001x700px) Image search: [Google]
Quota1-21-16.jpg
292KB, 1001x700px
>I Wrote Haikus About Cnnibalism in Your Yearbook - Discography

I love me some screamo but this release was too long-winded, considering there was little to no variation. Individually as separate albums the full length and the demo were good but thrown together it was a bit too much
>>
File: 1453298378640.png (212KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
1453298378640.png
212KB, 1732x1220px
Reposting listenalong link and template

>Ekatarina Velika - Ljubav (1987)
https://mega.nz/#!WwNwlYYR!iCu-NL_Sjzqq0F2rOrOzwNnTYPxZ8vCKg2osAjVIKLc
>>
File: wacki.png (13KB, 411x136px) Image search: [Google]
wacki.png
13KB, 411x136px
anyone wanna come sync and meme americlap politricks
>>
could not internet for two days. altar was bretty gud, 9/10. gonna do Hi, How Are You? next.
>>
File: LoutallicaLulu.jpg (152KB, 1425x1425px) Image search: [Google]
LoutallicaLulu.jpg
152KB, 1425x1425px
yesterday I listening to Lulu and did not have a good time.
>>
File: iron - feeling memed.jpg (284KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
iron - feeling memed.jpg
284KB, 700x700px
>Iron - Feeling Buried
i recall downloading this 2 weeks ago because torts made it and i wanted to see if he can make some good memes, turns out hes alright at it

This album is majorly some nice experimental, sorta minimal drone/ambient kinda stuff, quite good. Something Like Comfort reminded me a bit of Natural Snow Buildings, and that's always a plus. Heavy Girl is my favorite track, because of that nice saxophone bit, too bad my favorite part of the album was made by another artist. Rough Skin is also worth mentioning, the first part of the track has some sounds that resemble a train stopping at a station, which were very calming and fit perfectly with the song. The guitar [?] in it is also pretty good.
6/10 you did good, torts

this makes me interested, what other /daily/ trips have made albums too? i could do a mini tourney with just /daily/ artists, but i feel like it'll only be like 4-5 people so idk

>>61945567
one or two songs on the first disc are actually kind of enjoyable, but the rest of it is just pure fucking garbage.
>>
>>61945567
SMALL TOWN GIIIIIIIIIIRL
>>
>>61945707
>what other /daily/ trips have made albums too?
Even oxen.bandcamp.com is givingbear
I gave it a 9.5, I love it
>>
>>61945931
already listened to that one, its amazing
>>
>>61945707
i've made a few
trish made a rew a while ago, i know boggle has one up on soundcloud as well.
>>
>>61945707
Marginally, there's the occasional interesting sound, or cool atmosphere but they manage to ruin it pretty quickly. It's basically avant-era scott walker without any of the subtlety, atmosphere and with really generic thrash metal as a backdrop
>>61945893
I A M T H E T A B L E
>>
Yo, anyone got any good chapandazan music? I need some new jams for when I'm slinging the ol' buz around.
>>
>>61947850
u wot m8
>>
File: u is for utopiaaaa.png (3MB, 1680x1471px) Image search: [Google]
u is for utopiaaaa.png
3MB, 1680x1471px
anything need to be changed?
any suggestions from the daily "communi"ty
>>
File: BAG CHART.png (873KB, 840x941px) Image search: [Google]
BAG CHART.png
873KB, 840x941px
jesus christ, I started this chart on October 28. It has taken me 86 days to listen to 25 albums, I'm a fucking winner.

Various Artists - Music of Tanzania (2015)
>field recordings, ngoma, african music

This is some really nice stuff. The first disk is trad. african folk music, and a lot of it is really nice, the Sitoti tracks specifically. I can't get too into the more strictly vocal works, but they're still nice. The second disk is where its at though. Two 20-minute long field recordings of festivals. Honestly, before this, the only experience I've had with field recordings like that was Jeff Mangum's album, but this feels more lively, jubilant, and just all around more genuine. Great stuff.

i've only got one chart now! because i abandoned the bowie chart because i don't like to do charts with just one artist. idk why.
>>
does anyone have this in decent quality? the youtube rip is complete boners
>>
>>61945567
>the arm hole makes it Lu LoU
>>
>>61945567
junior dad would actually be a good song if it was like half its length
>>
>>61945707
th-th-

thants :')

Always gotta ask! What do you think it needed to make it 10/10 :0
>>
File: zappa to do.jpg (432KB, 755x1130px) Image search: [Google]
zappa to do.jpg
432KB, 755x1130px
Zappa reviews:

Have I Offended Someone is stuff that may have been offensive in the 80s, probably not the 90s-00s, and definitely not really today.

The only offensive ones could be bobby Brown Goes Down for having that line about rape, He's So Gay, Titties 'n Beer, Valley Girl, and Jewish Princess. Otherwise, the edgy premise it sets forth isn't even fully accomplished. Pretty mediocre, but if you wanted to know how Zappa shocked and awed the religious right in the 70s and 80s, give this a try.

Dub Room Special was a live album with a pretty god-tier line up (there aren't many not like this in Zappa's live discog) and some fantastic versions from a VHS recording Zappa released in 1982.

Broadway the Hard Way was perhaps the most contemporary Zappa has ever been, and I don't really mind. A lot of good satire, but very boring overall.

Ahead of Their Time has a concept similar to the project/object stuff, but mostly slightly worse renditions of amazing songs. This is one of the many that I have listened to that is exactly like this, however...

The Lost Episodes is exactly what I want from a Zappa posthumous release like this. Truly UNRELEASED material, and not just some random live show one time with no significance. Very little in the way of stories shared here, but the ones that are are short, have a point, and are genuinely interesting. If you are interested in the surface level of making early Mothers' stuff, give this a try.

The Yellow Shark I didn't care for at all. Just boring and shallow orchestral pieces done by a lot of talented musicians playing worthless covers of great music. I don't understand why Zappa had to think he needed to prove himself as a composer. Would anyone question this from the man who made Uncle Meat? Left a bad taste in my mouth, but I wouldn't un-recommend this album to anyone the way I would Francesco Zappa. Just know its very boring and kinda shitty.
>>
>>61951592
I'm genuinely curious about all of these I have left, though not very optimistic.

Seems all of these will just be a recording of some live show at some time, and very little actual unreleased material. Like the Lost Episodes.

I might just skip over YCDTOSA. Sounds like a shitfest and the series all together is more than 13 hours. Kill me.
>>
File: Tournuary the second.png (2MB, 3136x1996px) Image search: [Google]
Tournuary the second.png
2MB, 3136x1996px
come onnnn all
>>
>>61950051
lulol
>>
File: hip hop is my life.png (4MB, 1640x1960px) Image search: [Google]
hip hop is my life.png
4MB, 1640x1960px
le page 10 save

what do I listen to
>>
>>61954117
Spunk
>>
>>61954162
spunk album status:
not found yet
>>
>>61945707
givingbear, trish, gfr, dogwander, hampus, boggle
>>
>>61942854
>giving RED a 7

C'mon it's a solid 8
>>
File: blech.png (175KB, 402x528px) Image search: [Google]
blech.png
175KB, 402x528px
M'back from Indonesia, gonna dump a couple of reviews later, get HYPE
>>
>>61954580
not hype at all tbqhwyl

>>61944661
on second listen at the moment, p nice stuff. didn't realise you were from Serbia (if that's the case)

>>61940457
waiting for onions for Chordslayer, it was the AOTY for one music journalist in Poland and I'm kinda leaning to check it out but humm
>>
>>61954637
it's mostly 7s as well
>>
File: yugowave.png (385KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
yugowave.png
385KB, 1732x1220px
>>
File: cover.png (2MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
2MB, 800x800px
Sup, gardeners of /daily/, it's been a while.
I just got some old CDs from one of my uni teachers who wanted to get rid of them. Not a lot of great stuff (infact, a lot that I didn't take) but a couple of interesting ones in the lot.
Since I couldn't sleep last night, I figured I could go and rip the one that isn't already available online already, and figured it coud interest some of the /daily/ folks, so there you go.
I couldn't figure how to make EAC work correctly but at this point I am technologically retarded so it's consistent.

Taiwan : Music of the ethnic minorities
>trad / folk music, eastern Asia, Taiwan, shittily ripped
>liner notes and booklet translated from french by yours truly
>collection of short traditionnal songs fro mthe aborigenals of Taiwan. Focuses on sung material from local villages and churches and excludes the warrior dances and other war or hunt songs. Some of the songs on this record might actually be lost as of today.

https://mega.nz/#!GZ5XWbhZ!-a4ab03lHPPb-qXqKYRg9inB7uOLMJUYynEhBI6MxmA

Getting the whole package together was actually kind of fun. I'll see if I can somehow rip some of the vinyl records I have since a couple are nowhere to be found online, but shitty hardware prevented me to do so last time I tried.
>>
I kind of set up the Internet here. Just kind of.

I think someone asked for a rec
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/romain_baudoin/1_primate/
>>
>>61942933
You needed some more stuff?

Pelt - Ayahuasca
Krystian Zimerman - Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos 1 & 2
Ernst Karel - Swiss Mountain Transport Systems
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
Sandy Bull - Fantasias for Guitar
Henry Flynt - You Are My Everlovin' / Celestial Power
Bennie Maupin - The Jewel In the Lotus
>>
>>61955178
seems fun, downloading *__*
>>
>>61954637
Listening to it now and I have no idea how that could be the case. Shrug music.
>>
>>61955674
>seems fun, downloading *__*
What did he mean by this?

>>61955289
I am proud of you. How's the mountain home? Does it make you feel a bit closer to our Lord and Saviour Robbie Basho?

>>61955178
Literally Hampus porn

>>61950473
Not making something piss terrible would be a good place to start :^)

>>61945931
>>61946172
<3

>>61945707
Contrary to popular belief I'm actually p hyped to hear this in full

>>61943872
I'm almost done. Will most likely post final chart this month because the ones that aren't on Spotify have to be downloaded.
>>
>>61939865
This OP pic is SEX btwtbh
>>
>>61956155
It sort of does. Gonna raid an Afghan music store tomorrow for some dank instruments. Love this place
>>
File: 1448260989088.gif (208KB, 312x322px) Image search: [Google]
1448260989088.gif
208KB, 312x322px
>>61956172
HNNNNGH
I'll be on the lookout in case you take any pics of your haul
>>
File: Qc20smK.jpg (120KB, 500x694px) Image search: [Google]
Qc20smK.jpg
120KB, 500x694px
good morning daily! I watched straight outta compton last night, solid but a bit too overblown. the guy who played eazy e was killer though. probably gonna spend today listening to nwa related stuff.

>>61956171
I love how like 6 people worked on it lmao
>>
>>61956473
>6
>not E L E V E N
shake my darn head
>>
>>61956155
Maybe Hampus will like me now and not think I am the tasteless illiterate plebeian I actually am deep down.
>>
File: tourney chart temp.png (759KB, 1489x978px) Image search: [Google]
tourney chart temp.png
759KB, 1489x978px
Alrighty fuck the other charts, nobody cares about them anyway

Need to find recs from the winnars of the tourney so I can get that one done and dusted
that's Givingbear, Kerr and Jimbon (who is dominating this thing)
I still haven't listened to the Ceephax album because time is an arsehole, I'll do it tomorrow at some stage
If you want my thoughts on the album ask me
>>
>>61955989
lameo.
>>
>>61957163
>Alrighty fuck the other charts, nobody cares about them anyway
:(
>>
>>61957180
no meems to be found, just a bunch of 7s
>>
File: Freeform Chart.png (2MB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart.png
2MB, 1560x720px
Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban (1955)
>afro-cuban jazz, hard bop

Not impressed by this at all. Honestly, much more big band than afro-cuban or hard bop, and its not very good big band at that. Just really bland and forgettable jazz music, the stuff that pops into a 50-year-old suburbanites head when they hear the word "jazz". A few nice melodies here and there, and its technically immaculate, but I didn't enjoy it all too much.

2.0+
>>
>>61957746
yeah I don't get dorham's appeal at all. he seems a pretty spotty improviser depending on who he's playing with, too.
>>
File: listenalong ljubav.png (476KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
listenalong ljubav.png
476KB, 1732x1220px
>>
File: yet another chart.png (3MB, 1480x1480px) Image search: [Google]
yet another chart.png
3MB, 1480x1480px
>ju sei & Utah Kawasaki - U as in Utah
I don't really know what to write about this thing. It's more or less two separate albums, and while I really liked the meditative second disc, the first one was kind of a incoherent mess of half-executed ideas. It works sometimes, but more often than not frustrates me. I wouldn't give the first disc more than a 2.0, whereas the second disc might very well be a 3.5. The first disc is longer, so I guess it more or less averages at a 2.5 with a +, since I figure there is always a chance the first disc starts making sense after a while.
>>
File: 1452310749403.gif (2MB, 260x152px) Image search: [Google]
1452310749403.gif
2MB, 260x152px
Gonna start an avant chart, give me your most avant album anon, challenge the fuck outta me
>>
>>61957516
the bali chart, right?
>>
File: dailychart.jpg (2MB, 1540x1225px) Image search: [Google]
dailychart.jpg
2MB, 1540x1225px
where2start ? ? ?
>>
>>61958224
Upgrade and Memelife
>>
File: TONE35.jpg (57KB, 585x499px) Image search: [Google]
TONE35.jpg
57KB, 585x499px
>>61958221
very challenging I'd say
>>
>>61958221
Keijo s/t
Avant enough
>>
>>61958221
I know this isn't my most avant but I'm dead tired and this was the only thing I could think of that didn't involve Merzbow

Stephan Mathieu - Nachtstücke
>>
File: Pure Misanthropia.jpg (13KB, 250x257px) Image search: [Google]
Pure Misanthropia.jpg
13KB, 250x257px
>>61958221
>>
>>61952744
oh woops didn't realise i was still in this
if ur still looking for a rec
dead seas - head of wantastiquet, it's on soulseek

>>61957163
glad you enjoyed it so much
fire on fire - the orchard is my rec
>>
>>61958221
Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo Yoshihide - Good Morning Good Night
Ghédalia Tazartès - Diasporas
Gorguts - Obscura
Incapacitants - As Loud As Possible
Keiji Haino - "C'est parfait" endoctriné tu tombes la tête la première n'essayant pas de comprendre quelque chose si tu te prépares à la décision d'accepter tout compris / Entre en toi-même cela se résoudra
Kengo Iuchi - 犬神と家畜

Hard mode (aka really long avant-memes, not for pussies who can't handle more than an hour of avant-memes):
Tony Conrad - Early Minimalism, Volume One
Keith Rowe, Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo Yoshihide - ErstLive 005
Supersilent - 1-3 (actually fairly accessible by EAI standards, just really fucking long)
Alan Silva - Seasons

God mode (only for real niggas):
goreshit - tomboyish love for daughter
PISS SPEARS - I CREATED PISSCORE
passenger of shit - floating with my poo
Sachiko M - Bar さちこ

Pick whatever you want from those. If you want only per person, go with Obscura.
>>
>>61958222
yep, t b h it wasn't all 7s, I liked some of it, I haven't finished it yet
I can revive it if anyone really cares, just I have a heap of paragraph long reviews that would shit up the thread
>>
>>61958444
You should check out what I recced
>>61958355
>>
>>61958224
Coil nihggauh
>>
>>61958449
>a heap of paragraph long reviews that would shit up the thread
how would that shit up the thread?
just because it's not circlejerking for once?
>>
>>61958444
>>61958221
Also, Ryoji Ikeda - dataplex

E S S E N T I A L
>>
>>61958294
listening, this does not at all sound like I expected it to
>>61958466
up next
>61958221
seconding Dataplex btw
>>
File: wtf.png (110KB, 1479x371px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
110KB, 1479x371px
>>61958432
Done that one mang, was pretty goud
on a side not, what is it with Avant Garde and Black and White
>>
>>61958572
your chart looks fucked mate
>>
File: 1453562849876.png (539KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
1453562849876.png
539KB, 1732x1220px
(but still ok)
>>
>>61958444
just for you, I will put myself through Good Morning Good Night
>>
>>61958599
it's gonna be 10x10, this is a long haul kind of thing
>>
>>61943150
>>61943652
...all this butthurt over an electronic act
>>
>>61958572
hm try steven r smith - kohl
>>
Rippikoulu - Musta seremonia (1993)
>death metal, death doom metal

Further proof that the more dirty and filthy the metal is, the more I like it. This could very well be some of the worst production I've ever heard on record, but it fits the music very well. Lots of nice, dynamic guitar playing, the blastbeats are nice, and the vocalist is very appropriately awful. Gets repetitive, as is the case with a lot of death metal, but its still good stuff.

3.0+

>>61958703
i think the butthurt gets coaxed out of literally everything anybody says
>>
File: Freeform Chart.png (2MB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart.png
2MB, 1560x720px
>>61958813
oops
>>
File: 4900069.jpg (13KB, 250x211px) Image search: [Google]
4900069.jpg
13KB, 250x211px
might dig into some labels
what are some good labels
preferably not with huge catalogs because that makes digging harder
>>
>>61958895
sublime frequencies
soul jazz

those are the only labels i really know and they both specialize in v/a comps.
>>
>>61958572
To continue with the black and white theme
>La Monte Young - The Black Record

>>61958895
Ghost Box is a pretty small, quaint label, and has a pretty specific sound and style
>>
>>61958895
Ohr
>>
>>61958221
Nicolas Collins - It Was A Dark And Stormy Night
KANGASKHAN'SBABY - WORST HITS
Fat Worm of Error - Pregnant Babies Pregnant With Pregnant Babies
Djwwww & MC Play-Station® - *'~ 僕らのFANTASY *゚+.。:;+.:;。+゚*
Marcus Schmickler - Palace of Marvels (Queered Pitch)
Fuck, The Retarded Girl - Unplayable
Zubi Zuva - Jehovah
Komar & Melamid & Dave Soldier - The People's Choice Music
mhz_ - Get Mature Or Die Tryin'
Henry C. Rial - Raw Data HNW Made Out Of An ISO Of Alien Versus Predator 2
>>
>>61958572
>>
>>61955178
Neat, I needed something from Taiwan.
>>
>>61958931
this i can get into
>>61958945
>>61958956
this i don't think as much
>>
>>61958895
Ocora
Smithsonian Folkways
Inedit
Dust-to-Digital
Sublime Frequencies
Nonesuch Explorer
>>
>>61959013
Speaking of trad and such, are you at all into polynesian folk music? I did have a couple neat experiences with it but it's apparently pretty hard to navigate through it while avoiding the terrible watered down or popified tahitian music.
>>
>>61958703
"electronic act"

lol
>>
>>61959048
yes this ought to be useful
>>
>>61959142
wow
>>
listening to Hi, How Are You? now, some Mount Eerie level shit right here
>>
File: b00.jpg (243KB, 1413x1407px) Image search: [Google]
b00.jpg
243KB, 1413x1407px
>>61959108
I have very little experience with Polynesian music, but I would recommend this series of recordings.

>>61959157
Yes.

>>61959178
WOOOOOOOOOOOOw
>>
>>61959142
oh boy here we go
>>
>>61959197
(w_o_w)
>>
>>61959197
I'll try to get my hands on that, plus some other arion recordings then. Thanks for the tip anyway, o memelord.

also, wow
>>
>>61958186
>I don't really know what to write about this thing
No surprises there. Do you ever?

>>61956655
Yes.

>>61956473
There's a group from where I live that calls themselves "NMA", Norrlännigar med attityd (Northswedes with attitudes). I laugh every time.

>>61954580
"reviews"
>>
>>61959242
Uuuuh, looking through my library, I had two more that I recall were pretty decent.

Turtle Island Musical Memories (recorded by Steve and Beth Wood)
Fiji: Songs of Love and Homeland: String Band Music (Folkways)
>>
>>61949684
Yes, I'll upload for you in FLAC.

>>61942208
Literally no idea what you're talking about here.
>>
first time trying this
i'm going to see a friend play tennis i will think of more albums later
>>
finished hi how are you.
7/10.
I'll decide what's next later.
>>
>>61959411
fuck wednesday
>>
>>61958221
does it have to be good though
how about some
Jandek - The Song of Morgan (do Put My Dream on This Planet if you reject this one)
Cosmos - Tears
Piano Avant-Garde: Recordings 1956-60 played by David Tudor
>>
File: 3021233.jpg (21KB, 600x590px) Image search: [Google]
3021233.jpg
21KB, 600x590px
>>61958221
cate
>>
>>61958221
The most challenging album I've ever listened to was grimes- art angels, so you could try that
>>
americanprimitve.png
2MB, 838x682px
>John Fahey - Railroad I
Pretty standard John Fahey, if not a bit more 'ol-western-sounding. Pretty cool that the album is somehow aptly titled, but the songs themselves are pretty boring and short by Fahey standards. The tracks prominently featuring string bending are probably the best.
>5/10

>>61959411
>>61959425
Nice

>>61959781
kek
>>
>>61959911
What a great review, you really summed up perfectly what the album is about. Your analysis of song structures and their implications is on point. 10/10 best review I've read on /daily/ ever.
>>
>>61949684
>>61949684
>>61949684
>>61949684
Acid meme temple and the memeing paradise USA
https://mega.nz/#!tpoVzZBZ!Bgc8CRagEWqgd1ef941TV7RJn6Zdhk2SL75RHJu6oXA
>>
>>61958221
try hans krusi - ex hk. (really organic sounding sound collage and field recordings)
godz - contact high with the godz (weird folk played by people that never touched their instruments before recording)
aube - sigh in depressive blue (noise where the only source for sound is the human respiration)

>>61958303
I'm pretty sure that if I personally listened to this my ears would be fucked forever, but the concept is interesting
>>
>>61959998
Nigga noise hasn't been even close to avant-garde for over 40 years, and even then it was only pop-avant.
>>
>>61959968
why do you assume everyone wants to write reviews and analysis?
>>
>>61959968
is this what a review must be to you? analysing song structures and their implications?

if I never heard an album I probably wouldn't want to read that before listening to it. call them what you like but these short "summaries" of their opinion on the album are what makes me want or not want to listen to the album
>>
File: Avant Garde is French For Shit.png (444KB, 1233x485px) Image search: [Google]
Avant Garde is French For Shit.png
444KB, 1233x485px
how we looking?
>>
>>61960055
>>61960057
A review should be analytic, yes. Otherwise, what's the god damned point?

>>61960057
What you want is a synopsis.
>>
>>61960075
you didn't answer my question
>>
>>61960085
Because that's what everyone here thinks they're doing.
>>
>>61960119
cool now i have motivation to stop lurking and do shit. thanks.
>>
>>61960119
not true btw
and even if that would be the case, why bother so much about semantics?
>>
>>61960075
alright so yeah I like synopsis more than reviews in this context, I think it fits the daily purposes a lot more do you not agree?
>>
>>61960119
can you link a good review? (don't read this with a pretentious tone, but with a "genuinely interested" one)
>>
File: where are you.jpg (91KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
where are you.jpg
91KB, 306x306px
>>61960075
do you know where you are?
>>
>>61959968
thanks
>>
>>61960060
hampus rec me avant garde
>>
>>61960137
SUCCESS

>>61960151
It is pretty much true though.

>>61960156
Maybe.

>>61960173
Anything published in Music Analysis. But no really, I don't have any. I don't read anything and just like to shit on people.

>>61960227
I also don't know any specific works of avant-garde, I just know the general trends right now are dicking around in supercollider and polystylism. Not noise.
>>
>>61960266
>I don't know any specific work of avant-garde, but I can tell that everything named in this thread isn't it ;^)
oh hampy, you silly
never change, never leave
>>
File: 1399752860488.png (308KB, 720x717px) Image search: [Google]
1399752860488.png
308KB, 720x717px
>tfw literally just found out my old friend's old band is playin near me in about half an hour
>>
>>61960266
The point stands that it once was avant garde, at LEAST as late as 2008 when Merzbow was doing his shit
>besides
>I haven't heard it
>>
I cried to Nickleback today
>>
>>61960342
>>61960266
apologies
>1996
wow Pulse demon was fucking ages ago
>>
File: Untitled.png (246KB, 1121x821px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
246KB, 1121x821px
>>61960325
Nice misquote.

>>61960342
>>61960376
Uh, no, noise was certainly not avant-garde in 2008 and that absolutely includes Merzbow. Pop-avant.
>>
question of the /day/ :
rank these fags by review quality
jtg (rip)
boggle (rip)
karenin/ketchupin/krsgrmpin
mortimer (rip)
benji
fish
terminus
co

>protip
>hampus is at the top
>>
does hampus even review stuff
>>
>>61960439
mort is alive in this thread you dingus

also don't even dare include me in that list I don't even try with my reviews

also, >>61960462
>>
>>61960462
Nope. I too only write shitty little synopses.
>>
>>61960488
brah semantics are gonna give you a stroke one day
>>
>>61960439
1. karenin
2. The rest
>>
>>61960507
It's gonna give my persona a stroke.
>>
>>61960439
>>61960508
Oh and
999. Boggle
>>
Are there any websites like synctube for music?
I think it would be a lot of fun to listen to an album at the same time.
>>
>>61960541
>Are there any websites like synctube for music?
how about ... snyctube?
>>
>>61960561
never heard of that one mate, is it the revolutionary site that's gonna take synchtube's place?
>>
File: 00010.jpg (97KB, 646x413px) Image search: [Google]
00010.jpg
97KB, 646x413px
>it's also a hampus thread
is it planes o'clock already?
>>
>>61960602
I thought I told you yesterday, every thread is a hampus thread. Accept it as a fact of life.
>>
>>61960601
yeah, it's the next big thing
>>
>>61960602
whay are you.........
...............planning
>>
File: Convair-116.jpg (15KB, 432x160px) Image search: [Google]
Convair-116.jpg
15KB, 432x160px
>>61960625
Then every thread shall also be a plane thread at one point.
Planes are nice.

>>61960646
You have no idea.
>>
>>61957163
hunting givingbear and Kerr
>>
File: a4099353330_10.jpg (727KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a4099353330_10.jpg
727KB, 1200x1200px
Does this get better than the second track? cause if it doesn't i'm just gonna not hear it
>>
>>61960801
well i think it' shit but that may be just me
>>
File: backlog.png (1MB, 1305x797px) Image search: [Google]
backlog.png
1MB, 1305x797px
Made thing.

Palmbomen is outsider house that rides on reverb similarily to Actress but is much closer to chicago house in the mood. Pretty cool but the videos that go in pair with this record on youtube made it seem cooler than it is
>>
File: Avant Garde is French For Shit.png (631KB, 1239x516px) Image search: [Google]
Avant Garde is French For Shit.png
631KB, 1239x516px
>>61960867
are any if those avant?
>>
File: R-3601630-1337271531-6195.jpeg.jpg (128KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
R-3601630-1337271531-6195.jpeg.jpg
128KB, 500x500px
>>61960893
no
this is, add it to your list
>>
File: 4261691.jpg (8KB, 268x300px) Image search: [Google]
4261691.jpg
8KB, 268x300px
>>61960893
put this in too
>>
>>61960893
uhh how do I know if I haven't listened to them yet :( for sure most aren't though
>>
>>61960922
>>61960942
Added, what power metal is the most avant garde? :^)
>>
>>61961022
Unexpect or Symphony X
>>
File: Calender January.png (3MB, 2168x1796px) Image search: [Google]
Calender January.png
3MB, 2168x1796px
>Jackson C Frank
Somewhat generic but Frank does his songs with a lot of passion and emotion which I guess is what atleast somewhat elevates it from being more than just straightforward 60's folk. There are a couple of terrific songs on here but there are also a few duds. One listen is enough

>Marnie Stern - This Is It And It Is It And .... Is It
Did not expect this to be what it ended up being. Not very memorable unfortunately. Honestly not sure where I found this one, maybe I just googled "most ridiculous album name"
>>
File: More mucore.jpg (214KB, 1345x1345px) Image search: [Google]
More mucore.jpg
214KB, 1345x1345px
Could someone ID the albums that aren't inside the red squares?

yes I know these may be all shit but plz help
>>
>>61961142
candy claws - ceres and calypso
modest mouse - building bla bla

if it helps the rabbit one is folk
>>
>>61961142
Right is In Absentia by Porcupine Tree
Bottom Right is Building Something Out of Nothing by Modest Mouse
Top one is Ceres and Calypso by Candy Claws
>>
>>61961142
keaton henson - dear
worlds end girlfriend - hurtbreak wonderland
>>
>>61961142
Bottom left is Dear by Keaton Henson
>>
>>61961142
The one with the rabbit should be You - Keaton Henson
>>
>>61961209
>>61961234
>>61961249
>>61961251
>>61961259
thank you, that was pretty fast!
>>
>>61961142
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (one of the only good Steven Wilson Joints, try out Fear of a Blank Planet as well)
Candy Claws - Ceres and Calypso in Deep Time
there's a Modest Mouse one as well, a B-sides album
other than that yur shit outta luck
>>
File: fresc.png (578KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
fresc.png
578KB, 1732x1220px
>>
Ceephax - Cro Magnox
enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, I expected it to be dark, which it was. Very danceable though, not as industrial as I expected
I'll probably bang this out through my car stereo at night sometime (when I eventually get enough money together that is)
diceroll soon
>>
1-10 is Sn and 11-20 is Thomas
>>
>>61961783
what
>>
File: diceroll.png (7KB, 328x38px) Image search: [Google]
diceroll.png
7KB, 328x38px
>>61961783
good round all together
>>
>>61961806
>>61961814
I diceroll 1d20 in the event of a tie, I know it's not the most watertight method of decision
>>
>>61961854
aaa
sometimes people do it with number gets
>>
whats going on
>>
>>61961888
memes
>>
>>61961854
Why does it have to be d20?
You can get the same result with any die that has an even amount of sides.
>>
>>61961917
d20 is the nyerdiest, could probably bump it down to a regular die though
>>
>>61961917
Because muh d&d
>>
nein
>>
File: backlog.jpg (418KB, 1305x797px) Image search: [Google]
backlog.jpg
418KB, 1305x797px
CFCF isn't exactly ambient, well it's not the "it all blends together" kind and is relatively variable. Features vocals on one track that made me think of laughing stock. Mostly reliant on synths. Also in some places (esp at the end) it utilises pulsation a bit like in some Reich pieces. Good 2015 record.
>>
File: la.png (37KB, 328x828px) Image search: [Google]
la.png
37KB, 328x828px
wew downloaded this list plus all the mu core charts. excited to listen to both madonna and GMGN
>>
>>61963336
>all that dadrock at the top
>>
>>61942933
I love that album
>>
>>61963575
>>61963336
>all that avant-meme at the bottom
>>
>>61958224
Sun kil moon
>>
>>61963575
seeing as it was named the momcore category, it did it's job pretty well

>>61963588
and the avant memes are the mallgoth and avant teen category
>>
File: 51 listenalong Ekatarina Velika.png (688KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
51 listenalong Ekatarina Velika.png
688KB, 1732x1220px
>>
>>61963719
where's the list from?
>>
>>61960033
>this is what retards believe
>>
File: circles.png (2MB, 1200x1198px) Image search: [Google]
circles.png
2MB, 1200x1198px
I hope I used the most current chart
>>
>>61958432
thanks you

>>61959328
>>61959989
thanks you

>>61955289
thanks you
>>
>>61963719
Well kudos to whomever then.

>>61963816
Explain how noise could possibly have been avant-garde for the last 40 years when it has been around since the early 1900s?
>>
File: Rate core.png (814KB, 1588x1801px) Image search: [Google]
Rate core.png
814KB, 1588x1801px
>>61963768
dunno, got it from somewhere a long time ago
>>
>>61963846
The burden of proof is on you for claiming its not.
>>
>>61963875
I don't have the full chart btw this is the ones I'm missing
>>
>>61963902
>The avant-garde (from French, "advance guard" or "vanguard", literally "fore-guard") are people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics. The avant-garde pushes the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo, primarily in the cultural realm.
Noise music does not do this, as it has been around in the modern form for over 40 years, and in some form for about 100 years. Stop trying to push a burden of proof fallacy - my claim is negative.
>>
>>61963875
The Nono thing is really nice
some good albums left, alot of this is also on the nww list
>>
oh shit I forgot to hear today's album

i'll do it tomorrow
>>
>>61963819
Whoever gave OAR003 a 3 needs to "Get Taste", as they say
>>
File: Bone_Tomahawk_Poster.jpg (40KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
Bone_Tomahawk_Poster.jpg
40KB, 260x384px
Watched this yesterday and was really pleasantly surprised. The third act was, ahem.. brutally shocking.
>>
>>61963948
well, i was referencing on the way it was made, whic is innovative/audacious anyway.
>>
>>61965041
Please explain your thought process.
>>
>>61958224
Ksiezyc is seriously good
>>
File: and another tournament.png (1MB, 3136x1996px) Image search: [Google]
and another tournament.png
1MB, 3136x1996px
I still need FlyingIceWizard to rec me an album from 1960-1964
>>
File: janurary calendar.png (3MB, 1780x1610px) Image search: [Google]
janurary calendar.png
3MB, 1780x1610px
I've been gone for a long time
but now I return
going to start dumping reviews
>>
>>61965085
not gonna bother bro .___.
>>
>>61965404
How was it made and what makes it innovative?
>>
>>61965384
>calling it reviews
uuh, watch out for hampus
>>
>>61965443
it was made entirely using a single source of sound - human breathing - and nothing else. Aube was literally the only one doing this, with heartbeats, water, and general non traditional instruments
>>
File: PJ-HARVEY-LET-ENGLAND-SHAKE.jpg (643KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PJ-HARVEY-LET-ENGLAND-SHAKE.jpg
643KB, 1000x1000px
I still don't like this as much as I feel like I'm supposed to

I like the lyrics but I feel like the production and song style is a bit hit and miss and the whole package is too heavy-handed for me to more than moderately enjoy it

if the whole album was songs like 'The Words that Maketh Murder' and 'In The Dark Places' then it'd be amazing but it isn't so it's a 7/10 for me
>>
>>61965520
I'm not gonna say it's wrong, because I don't actually know, but I'd be extremely surprised if someone else hadn't done the same before him.
>>
here comes the synopsis
1/16/16
Beck- Mellow Gold
In his debut album, Beck paints himself as a sort of demented Bob Dylan, with crude Dylanesque abstract lyrics amid an odd folk landscape. A good example of what I'm talking about lyrically is the song Pay No Mind, where he sings "give the finger to the rock n roll singer dancin on your paycheck ". While Beck's lyrics are abstract and border on nonsense poetry, they are also relatabe. His songs are about familliar concepts, like relationship trouble and his hometown, but are told in an abstract humourous way. The instrumentals are mostly acoustic guitar, accompanied by harmonica, hip-hop inspired drums, and the occasional odd electronic sound.The hip-hop influence is not just noticible in the drums, and I'd go as far to say that some of the songs on the album are straight up alt hip hop. This album also manages to not be afflicted by one of my biggest problems with folk albums, which is that there often isn't much variety with the music. For example, there is a track full of electronic sounds and distorted singing followed immediatly by a track with unaccompanied guitar, followed by a track that is mostly fuzzed out vocals and boom bap drums. This album totally exceded my expectations, and I definitely recommend it.
4/5
>>
>>61965703
well, as long as there's doubt, I still think it's still an album that Stylo should listen to, even if it's not as avant as i believe. Im pretty sure he hasn't heard something like that before.
>>
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
At its core, this album is really just pretty generic alt rock. Its main strength is tricking you into believe otherwise, and it's fantastic. The guitars are coated with a layer of dreamy noise, and the vocals are distorted from words into something with the sonic texture of clouds. My main issue with Isn't Anything is that I could almost hear what the lyrics were, but it was just distorted enough so that I couldn't , which was super frustrating. Here, it's distorted enough that you can't hear what's being said unless you know the lyrics, which is great. It's a bit of a meme to say that this album sounds just like the cover looks but it really does. Also, To Here Knows When may just be the greatest song ever.
4.5/5 for now, if it holds up then it's definitely a 5/5

Depeche Mode- Violator
The 4 singles are neat synthpop songs, and the other 5 range from mediocre to bland trash. This would be better if it wasn't marred by the outdated 80s sound.
2/5
1/17/16
LCD Soundsystem- Sound of Silver
To be honest, I don't really know what to say about this album other than it was a massive improvement from the s/t and New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down is probably the only time a power ballad type song will not sound cheesy.
4.5/5
Herbie Hancock- Thrust
Bland jazz funk. There was definitly some grooves there, but they were terribly boring 5 minutes into the songs, let alone 9 or 10.
1.5/5
>>
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
Coltrane's saxophone enlightens us in a 4 part suite. The 1st part is a brilliant show off of Coltrane's saxophone skills by essentialy being one long sax solo building up to the chant of the album's title, backed by the wild percussion and subdued piano. the 2nd movement is more subdued than the first, but still has fast percussion, and Coltrane's wild sax moves. This movement is less of a solo though, and lets the pianist shine for a minute in a nice solo. Movement 3 opens with an incredible drum solo that lasts for about a minute before diving back into another piano solo, better than the last, which lasts for a good while. In fact, almost half this movement has no sax from Coltrane at all. It soon returns, screaming like it hasn't before. This entire album is on an upward drive, and it seems like we are close to reaching climax. It is somewhat brought back down by a drum solo, and the bassist finally gets his chance to shine with a solo after that, and honestly it's probably the weakest solo on the album. Movement 4 features Coltrane performing a feat many can only dream of. It is absolutely mind blowing that Coltrane not only can max his sax sound like it is singing, but write a poem, then sing the poem through playing the saxophone. Even without the poem, this part is impressive, but adding it into the mix is the distinction between wonderful and perfect.
5/5
>>
>>61965795
All noise sounds essentially the same, and the author is dead, the end result is what matters. This is why noise should've died in the late 70s or early 80s, with a short revival in the mid 90s for digital noise.
>>
>>61965520
>>61965703
haven't heard the album, but from the description that sounds like some form of biomusic to me
>>
File: guccibaby.png (2MB, 1130x630px) Image search: [Google]
guccibaby.png
2MB, 1130x630px
Gucci Mane- Trap Back
I had an amibition to someday listen to every Gucci Mane mixtape and album on RYM. This would make or break it, and I think I'm going to keep going.
This , as the youth say, bangs hard. It's a bit of a buzzword, but pretty much every track is a certified banger. For an hour of trap bangers, it suprisingly never really gets too stale or boring. One of my biggest complaints about this is while DJ Holliday's adlibs aren't super annoying, they were pretty tiring after an hour. Also his little monologues at the beginning/end of tracks were super weird, and half the time were stupid annoying and half the time absolutely hilarious. Gucci has a nice voice and lyrically he's nothing specialy, but he has some pretty great punchlines. The features are alright, but there are some standouts, notably the two features from 2chainz . Also the Tetris theme sample in Get it Back is possibly the greatest sample in a hip hop beat ever.
Holliday Season/5
favorite lines:
"Karate Kid, but I don't even know karate
kush got my eyelids low like Mr. Miyagi"
"Bladder piss a lot of pink
cause that lean I like to drink"
"Red watch and red chain by diamonds on they period"

Madlib- Shades of Blue
Madlib sifts through the Blue Note catalouge, and he works his magic on the samples he finds. Madlib's beats are simple to the ears, but are fairly complex layered works, not just a loop and some drums. A major complaint with this is the number of interludes that are just ex- Blue Note artists saying something about Madlib, but I understand that Madlib is probably pretty proud he could get those people to say that, but it wasn't really necessary at the end of every track. The jazzy beats are pretty good, but most of them could be 30 seconds to a minute shorter and I could still get the same experience from it.
3.5/5
>>
1/18/16
Bad Brains- Bad Brains
The first thing I noticed that was a big difference from most DC Hardcore is the guitar solo on the first track, which is fairly uncommon. What Bad Brain do have in common with the DC hardcore scene is energy, and they have plenty. Every track here is bursting at the seams with energy and intensity. The bass playing on this album is very good for a hardcore album as well. One big problem here, which is a problem of the whole hardcore movement is that a lot of the tracks sound really similar. The major way this tries to break that distinction, and set itself apart from the entire punk movement is having several tracks of straight reggae/dub, which provide nice interludes from the punk energy. The sequencing of the tracks in this respect is great, and my favorite moment of the album is when the lamenting Leaving this Babylon segues in to the angry and intense Fearless Vampire Killers.
3.5/5
Big Black- Atomizer
The guitart tone here is probably the most interesting thing. The metallic scraping is an interesting way to convey noise. I like how underneath the noisy guitar tone you can hear almost pop sounding melodies. Albini's screaming vocals add a lot to the music, especially with the dark lyrics of murder and immolation and molestation. Albini knows how to create atmosphere, and this whole album as a dirty atmosphere.
4/5

Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
This is what true kvlt metal sounds like? This sounds like a hardcore punk song and an Iron Maiden song played at the same time, and I'm loving it. So far the only thing I don't really like is that the growls are kind of drowned out but I don't mind that too much, because it doesn't seem like he's saying much more than the title of the song. Where can I go buy corpse paint?
4/5
>>
Butthole Surfers- Locust Abortion Technician
Sweat Loaf is probably the best distillation of the BHS sound. Noisy ridiculous, and with unrelenting energy. It picks you up and doesn't let you go until the album's over. A highlight of the album is the two songs built around manipulating odd found sounds. While the songs here are good, they lack substance compared to Psychic.. Powerless.. Another Man's Sac. The last track is absolutely terrifying and is probably my favorite BHS song.
3.5/5
Gucci Mane- The State vs. Radric Davis
This album is a lot harder than Trap Back, but it's lows are a lot lower, especially that akward middle section with the R&B hooks. Usher's is annoying yet charming at the same time, but the discout Justin Timberlake hook is super annoying. This might even be a 4 + if it was 15 minutes shorter without any of the tracks with R&B hooks. Also Sex in Weird Places makes me question whether this is serious or not.
3/5
>>
1/19/16
Today I decided to do a little experiment. All three albums here are about the same length (approx 38 mins), and are all 3 very different genres. I want to see which feels the longest and which is the shortest
Iggy Pop- The Idiot
The Bowie influence on this album is obvious from the get-go. The intro of Sister Midnight sounds a lot like a Bowie song but I don't know which one. Despite being post punk, Iggy still retains his hard rock edge, especially notable on the guitars on songs like Dum Dum Boys. Iggy's voice is much different from Bowies, locked in a very low range. It reminds me a lot of Ian Curtis's voice, and it's easy to see that this album is a clear influence on Joy Division and a lot of the other post punk bands of that era. A major complaint is that the songs that are longer have no right being as long as they are, making the record drag on and some points.
3.5/5
Gucci Mane- Trapology
I heard this tape was a dissapointment. Whoever said that was straight wrong. The production here, like every Gucci tape so far is top notch, and the features mostly decent, even Fetty Wap came through. Father, Lil B, Riff Raff and Snoop Dogg were all unexpected features that were dope. Even Soulja Boy was alright for a Soulja Boy feature in 2015. One thing I noticed is that Gucci sounds slower and deeper, which makes me wonder if this tape has a lot of phoned in verses or if all of this is from the vault. Gucci apparently has still not realized that an R&B hook isn't gonna sound good, and Ass Everywhere is no exception. All in a Day is also pretty lackluster, although that's probably because of the overflow of nobodies rapping on it. The real standout track is Break Down, mostly because my fetish is 808 cowbells. Also, of course I have to mention that "French accent" on Pari.
3.5/5
>>
>>61965852
It's literally just noise with a gimmick on how it was created. Literally without merit.
>>
Glenn Gould- Bach: The Goldberg Variations 1955
I don't know very much about art music. Already I notice that all of the songs are very short, and I have to ask, what exactly consitutes a variation? It seems like a series of 30 somewhat similar piano pieces, am I close to right? Anyways, Gould seems like a great player, and this material is nice, especially in the 30 to 45 second mini songs it's presented it. Tomorrow I think I will listen to the 1981 performance and rate the two in comparision to each other, so I can geta feel for the piece itself. One of the only critical things I will say about this is that while it was a risky move to have a very quiet noise performance in the background, I think it worked pretty well.

Glenn Gould- Bach: The Goldberg Variations (1955)
The more I listen to it, the more I dislike it, mostly because while yesterday I said I prefer the shortness of the variations, they don't allow for any ideas to get fleshed out to much. This seems like just a load of showing off, allthough Gould does deserve to show off, the man plays like a machine. I just can't get over the fact that this just sounds like technical piano wankery
3/5
Glenn Gould- Bach: The Goldberg Variations (1981)
This recording immediatly appeals to me much more. The old man hums are much better than the young man's, and I appreciate that this time Gould puts the focus on the piece itself rather than how fast or well he can play it. The transitions here are much better as well. The 55 recording does have a sense of finality when Gould hits the variation's final note, but the way the aria flows into variation 1 here is absolutely beautiful. But as much as I enjoy this, I don't think that variations are really my thing. Maybe I need to listen to them more, but 30 tracks of piano noodling gets pretty old after a while. I need to sit on this one while, but I don't think solo instruments are a thing I'm into
>>
File: cover.jpg (32KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
32KB, 300x296px
>>61965992
but noise with a gimmick can be fun
>>
1/21/16
Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain
Not sure how, but this whole thing feels like classical music. I'm fairly confused to how third stream gets such a different sound, but I digress. The thing about it is, as impressive as it is to sound all grand and classical, this isn't really that great. Miles is a great trumpet player(I especially like when he made the trumpet sound like a squeling pig on Solea), but the rest just sounds like cheesy music for a Spanish themed Disney cartoon. It's pretty good for cheesy Disney cartoon jazz though.
3/5
Polvo- Exploded Drawing
Math Rock with vocals is not something I thought would work as well as it did here. Polvo isn't really that math rock though, they also have a pretty big indie edge, sort of an inbetween of Don Cab and Pavement. The almost power pop esque guitars in the abstract mathy song structures is a combo I like.
3.5/5
1/22/16
Gucci Mane- Trap House
So this is where it all started. Pretty hit or miss, especially with the beats. When it hits (specifcally Black Tee and That's All off the top of my head) it hits pretty well. Nobody here (except maybe Bun B) is at any kind of level comparable to where they'll be later.
2/5
>>
John Coltrane- Africa/Brass
Africa is now my favorite Coltrane song, but the other two don't really do too much for me, especially the version of Greensleeves that lasts for entirely too long without going anywhere.
3.5/5
Don Caballero- American Don
The Don's percussion heavy mathy sound is something I always enjoy, but not so much here. The drumming seems to take a back seat to the guitar here, and while it's hard to complain considering Ian Williams is a great guitar player, it doesn't really feel like Don Cab without all of the drum freakouts I expect from Damon Che. Overall, this album has a somewhat subdued feel that I don't really like
2.5/5
>>
File: sufjan.jpg (282KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
sufjan.jpg
282KB, 900x900px
I'm pleasantly surprised by this album
>>
>>61966091
>>61966103
should have waited 30 seconds, you could have got them all
>>
>>61966213
FML
>>
File: backlog.jpg (418KB, 1305x797px) Image search: [Google]
backlog.jpg
418KB, 1305x797px
Didn't like Scum.
I even got bored a little bit but Parasites revived my attention for the last few minutes. The "solo" was probably the highlight of this record, they should've done more of that. M.A.D. was also nice, but pretty much all tracks used a combination of the same grind and some uninteresting thrash riffs.

>>61965979
so which one felt the shortest?
>>
Nice reviews, tripfriend! Well said stuff. I'm glad you're finding so many albums you rate so high, you're having a killer month!
>>
>>61966448
That day it was the Gucci Mane, but the relisten of the 1955 version of Goldberg Variations felt shorter

>>61966514
thanks
>>
>>61966448
Surely you enjoyed "you suffer"?
>>
>>61966565
I think I sneezed and missed it...
>>
Upgrade & Afterlife is interesting but needs another listen before I can say something constructive about it.

>>61965299
how'd you like Unsilent Death?
>>
>>61966610
I didn't look at the runtime, so I was really surprised when it ended
but it was a good surprise, because relatively early I thought the album had an incredible energy, but I doubted I would like this for very long. But I had a great time.
So yeah, really really well done album
>>
>>61956155
>I'm almost done. Will most likely post final chart this month because the ones that aren't on Spotify have to be downloaded.
Oh, cool. Interested in seeing how you went, especially with JP.

>>61956473
Just recently had my "watch Straight Outta Compton and listen to NWA" phase.

The best thing any of them did is Eazy E's It's On EP. Still A Nigga is secretly the greatest.

The first NWA album is also worth a listen from an "it being interesting" point of view, or at the very least to be enlightened by Panic Zone.

>>61957163
How did you like Furry Things?

Also Star - Devastator is my next pick.
>>
File: 1452702635751.png (85KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1452702635751.png
85KB, 1500x1500px
>>61956171
y did he gotta use the unfinished version tho? baka
>>
File: album r8m8.jpg (653KB, 928x595px) Image search: [Google]
album r8m8.jpg
653KB, 928x595px
just put this together, am i in for a ride?
>>
>>61967057
looks pretty good
of the one's I've listened to slanted and enchanted and fear of music are the standouts
>>
>>61967057
some highs and lows, you're in for Mohombi
>>
>>61965992
this is all trad music is too, tbqh
>>
File: Cover.jpg (23KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
23KB, 400x399px
>>61958221
Fo sho, let's go.
>>
americanprimitve.png
2MB, 838x682px
>Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
I was really surprised by the vocals. They really made the album, and the whole thing had fantastic epic atmosphere. May bump the rating up with subsequent listens.
>8/10 maybe 9/10

I think I'm going to listen to his son's album next.

>>61967057
A nice ride, nothing too crazy. Look forward to STGSTV.
>>
>>61967057

Second row, you're droning me circa 97-8.
>>
DAILYAOTY.png
2MB, 1738x4500px
>The Mountain Goats - Beat the Champ (2015)
I'm not sure if this album grew on me throughout the listen or if it just got a lot better as it went on. The slower sound on Luna, Unmasked and Hair Match were so good, when I found myself not being able to connect at all with the faster more folk-punk elements from the earlier parts of the record.

Potentially on my next listen I'll find myself liking the first half the record, if that happens the rating will go up a fair bit, obviously.

Best Track: Luna, by a lot.
>>
File: Template.png (2MB, 1738x4500px) Image search: [Google]
Template.png
2MB, 1738x4500px
Also figured I should post a version without my scores, as I'm done updating this. It looks too perfect to be changed now.
>>
One of my friends just demanded I listen to this and rate it, what does /daily/ think
https://soundcloud.com/nothingnowheremusic/sets/who-are-you
>>
>>61954419
It's close man, definitely Taytay's best album. I'm gonna relisten to it in a while, maybe it'll get an 8.
>>
>>61954580
How was Indonesia man? I'm going there on holiday this summer, fucking hyped for it of course.
>>
DAILYAOTY.png
2MB, 1738x4500px
>Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool? (2015)

I liked the concept of this album, the idea of it being an anthem for punk kids who are now adults is pretty cool. Unfortunately it's kind of bland, with every track just kind of being the same, with tracks only standing out if they're particularly bad like The Lows. That's not to say it's terrible, but it's just incredibly uninteresting musically.

Best Track: Polar Bear or Africa
>>
>>61943872
Put Uncle Acid - The Night Creeper on it for me please.
>>
>>61967057
>am i in for a ride?
yes, has a lot of very good and very bad albums
>>
>>61968744
>destroying the perfection
>>
>>61968744
see >>61967668
>I'm done updating this. It looks too perfect to be changed now.

If it makes you feel better, Uncle Acid suck anyway.
>>
>>61968783
i spose he could just fuse Termish to one
>>
>>61967057
TOTBL, If You're Feeling Sinister, The Holy Bible, The Reckoning, Surf's Up, Fear of Music, STGSTV and Dusk at Cubist Castle are all amazing, most of the rest are at least good
>>
File: Jan2016.png (883KB, 802x506px) Image search: [Google]
Jan2016.png
883KB, 802x506px
>>
File: 003.jpg (118KB, 607x600px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
118KB, 607x600px
Guys, guys, it's time at last!
>>
>>61968951
not yet, keep your planes for another 19 posts
>>
>>61968951
To s/t? Finally!
>>
File: schematics.png (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
schematics.png
62KB, 600x600px
>>61969019
It's time. There is nothing you can do about it, so have the schematics of the Luftwaffe's fastest propeller powered plane.
>>
>>61969061
>tips stahlhelm
>>
Despite its relative light looking frame, the Dornier 335 could store a good ton of bombs, a good way to compensate for the lack of bombers past 1944 after so many were lost during the Battle of Britain. Or at least, it should have been so as only a handful were actually used by the Luftwaffe. The plane was rushed into production but some issues with the engines manufactoring lines considerably delayed the delivery.
>>
File: 002.jpg (58KB, 640x248px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
58KB, 640x248px
>>61969161

>>61969093
out of my way RAF fucking shits
>>
File: hapfel.jpg (90KB, 450x700px) Image search: [Google]
hapfel.jpg
90KB, 450x700px
>>61969193
>>
>>61969193
>tips stahlhelm again
>>
File: 004.jpg (92KB, 630x344px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
92KB, 630x344px
Infact there were so few of them that only one authentic Do 335 remains today, and it was captured by the americans, straight out of the plant and fully operational. Puzzled by the double propeller and vaguely aware of its performances and satisfactory speed/cargo ratio, they took it and slapped an vomit-inducing USAF marking on it.
>>
File: alternate.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
alternate.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
the main frame of the Do 335 ws intended to be modulable in order to have many possible variants, something many german manufacturers boasted at the time, ranging from varying armement to entirely different functions, such as a model intended for scouting with an additinal seat, separated from the pilot's cockpit. Increasd visibility plus the great speed and stability provided by the dual piston structure could indeed have mande an excellent tool for altitude mapping and scouting.

>>61969251
>>61969228
It's not my fault german engineers were batshit insane and the Luftwaffe command flooded them with ridiculous demands.
That said some sovietic stuff was groovy too, but that's another story for another thread.
>>
jesus christ we're 15 posts away from bump limit we're not /planely/
>>
File: 001.jpg (1MB, 2904x1224px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
1MB, 2904x1224px
A rarely mentionned issue with the Do 335 however is how frail its front landing gear is. For many planes of the time, the landing gears were placed in a triancular pattern with the point of thr triangle at the tail ant the side on the wings, at the front. from 1943 onward however, we started to have what would then become the standard configuration. The need for more air penetration of jets has a lot to do with it. This was however one of the first attempts of Dornier at this landing gear patterns and the single front gear was known to have problems handling the stress, vibration and shocks alone while the two back gears had it attenuated already.

>>61969416
>not being /planey/
>unironically being in the infantry
>>
>>61969416
We are tho.

>>61969395
I think it is your fault. You could have stopped it friendo, why didn't you?
>>
File: done did listen along.png (760KB, 1732x1220px) Image search: [Google]
done did listen along.png
760KB, 1732x1220px
btw tbqh familia smdh
>>
Another forgotten technical detail is the shape of the plane itself. The easily recognizable cylindrical front turbine and the dorsal hump that provide great air penetration, much mmore than most of the other planes by Dornier, is actually a call back to some early WWII italian and romanian designs notorious for their manuvrability and steady flight (see IAR 80 and 81, Reggiane 2002, etc).
Unlike those however, the Do 335 had some considerable firepower in store.
>>
new thread whenever
>>
>>61969677
>new thread never
FTFY
>>
>>61969700
>new thread never, if whenever
>>
>>61969711
>unironically making any kind of reference to TWIABP
>>
File: do p 335 inside.jpg (752KB, 1024x1277px) Image search: [Google]
do p 335 inside.jpg
752KB, 1024x1277px
>>61969677
We need more planes first.
Like this Do 335 that had a lot of issues during its devlopment due to all the necessary controls taking that much room (due to maaging the specific engines separately and actively). In order to have a ejectable seat that worked, the seat needed a very important impullse in order for nothing to get caught in the back propeller. the engineers of Dornier found a solution with exploding bolts (that sadly made the cockpit a lot more vulnerable to unpprecise shots and stray bullets) and double jettison levers to make sure that the force was equally reparted and the seat was ot chopped by the propeller, and also to make sure the eploding bolts were not accidentally blown by a sudden move.
>>
File: 1170531080009.jpg (29KB, 576x384px) Image search: [Google]
1170531080009.jpg
29KB, 576x384px
oh, bump limit
>>
>>61969762
>not getting dubs
>>
File: insides 2.jpg (857KB, 1024x1419px) Image search: [Google]
insides 2.jpg
857KB, 1024x1419px
Overall,the Dornier 335 was in an odd spot in history. Before its time in certain concepts, design elements and technicities, but also too late considering the unavoidable takeover of jet powered planes.
>>
Can someone please post the full essentials chart please I wanna get to know a lot of the essential albums i've been avoiding. not ?mu? core but the full essentials chart.
>>
File: music sampler.jpg (3MB, 1906x4107px) Image search: [Google]
music sampler.jpg
3MB, 1906x4107px
>>61969869
?
>>
>>61969923
thank you so much
>>
File: 507.jpg (120KB, 1677x250px) Image search: [Google]
507.jpg
120KB, 1677x250px
>>61969959
it was a pleasure
>>
File: merzbowie.jpg (76KB, 623x623px) Image search: [Google]
merzbowie.jpg
76KB, 623x623px
>>
will /daily/ finally be dead? new thread never?
>>
>>61968815
>Uncle Acid sucks
u wot?
>>
>>61970305
>>61970305
>>61970305
>>
File: HE111Z.jpg (239KB, 1600x988px) Image search: [Google]
HE111Z.jpg
239KB, 1600x988px
dude, planes tho
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 103

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.