[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /lit/ recommend me a good translation for "Notes fr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: notes_from.jpg (47KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
notes_from.jpg
47KB, 325x500px
Can /lit/ recommend me a good translation for "Notes from the Underground" and Dostoyevsky in general?

I was going to read P&V, but then I read this article which totally ripped into them:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/

Their translation method also sounds weird. Wife translates Russian into literal english, husband writes down the literal translation.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
>>
Dude I always feel so dirty reading translations because of shit like this. it's fucked.
>>
Magarshack does a good one
>>
Garnett revised by Matlaw.
>>
>>7588251
Listen to >>7588330

IMO Magarshack and McDuff are the best Dostoevsky translators.
>>
Matlaw
>>
Is the one free on iBooks by Judith Boss terrible? A friend asked me to read it with him and I'm finding it tough because it is so.... eh, wordy? Too many useless words between the ones conveying anything. Normal, or translation issue?
>>
>>7588251

Here's what I said a couple days ago:
>>7576360
>>
>>7588251

Bыyчи pyccкий, opигинaльный и нeпoвтopимый cтиль Дocтoeвcкoгo нe пepeдacт ни oдин пepeвoд, блждaд!
>>
>>7588946
Plz respond >>7588930
>>
Has anyone ever read Crime and Punishment translated by Sidney Monas? To my knowledge, its the only Russian Lit that Monas has ever translated
>>
>>7588976

From what I can tell, that's actually the Constance Garnett translation. I think what happened was that it was typed in by Judith Boss from an old book that doesn't mention the translator (but is surely Garnett), and that's how Boss's name is associated with it.

If that's the case then I would say it's a decent translation for this title. Also if that's the case then I have to take exception to Apple charging $3 for it, since it's in the public domain. Boss produced the work for Project Gutenberg I believe, and it's available there for free in multiple formats:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/600

I'm not able to look at the preview on iBooks since I don't have an Apple ID, but you could compare it with the Gutenberg version to make sure.
>>
>>7589011

I wouldn't recommend it. I haven't read it myself, but I've always heard bad things about it, and the other day someone posted an excerpt or page in a thread here that looked pretty bad.
>>
>>7589025
No no, I have a Gutenberg/free version. Not sure why it didn't come up for you. Thanks for your help!!
>>
>>7588251

dude, want to know something crazy?

It's called "Notes From Underground"

not "Notes From THE Underground"

I realized this last night
>>
What translation do you guys recommend for Demons/Devils/The Possessed?
>>
>>7589307

Russian doesn't have the definite article, so the lack of article in the title isn't something inherent to the Russian title Зaпиcки из пoдпoлья. (For example the article is always added when another Dostoyevsky title, Бpáтья Кapaмáзoвы, becomes The Brothers Karamazov.) In fact the title has been translated as Notes from the Underground (Garnett's title, for example). So OP's not wrong.
>>
>>7589315
Please respond
>>
>>7589813
Someone respond to this man
>>
>>7589813
>>7590085

what seems to be the problem, /lit/izens
>>
>>7590093
>What translation do you guys recommend for Demons/Devils/The Possessed?
>>
>>7590111
oh. somebody answer this man.
>>
>>7590093
I'm not sure what translation of Demons to read.
>>
File: devils.jpg (19KB, 300x461px) Image search: [Google]
devils.jpg
19KB, 300x461px
>>7589315 ... >>7590119
>Demons translation

Whoops, sorry famanons, I was out for a bit trying to drown out the sadness. The translation to read is by David Magarshack and is titled The Devils.
>>
>>7591385
>Penguin Classics

They've also published the P&V translation of the book, so it's not a simple matter of seeking out this or that publisher.
>>
I'm reading the brother karamzov on my kindle how do I no who translated it
>>
>>7592613

If the title is The Brothers Karamazov (instead of The Karamazov Brothers), then it's not the Avsey translation at least.
Where did the file come from? Was it from Project Gutenberg, or somewhere else?
Also, you could paste a unique-looking sentence into Google Books and see whether that leads to a specific translation.
>>
>>7588251
MacAndrew
>>
>>7592593
Penguin hasn't published P&V's Demons. In the US, it's owned by Knopf Doubleday, so Vintage publishes it in softcover and Everyman's Library in hardcover. Maybe in the UK...?
>>
>>7588251
Idk, I thoroughly enjoyed the P & V translation.
>>
File: Demons_(Fyodor_Dostoyevsky).jpg (17KB, 259x399px) Image search: [Google]
Demons_(Fyodor_Dostoyevsky).jpg
17KB, 259x399px
>>7593191

Yeah, I think you're completely correct on that. I got it in my head that the one with this cover was the P&V translation, given that particular title. Google Books is telling me the translator for the version with this cover is Robert A. Maguire, whose quality I know nothing about.
>>
Garnett's translations always were my favorite. They don't flow and seem as modern compared to P&V but it feels more 'authentic' to me for some reason.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.