[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please suggest me the best translations of the following books:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: download (2).jpg (40KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
40KB, 480x600px
Please suggest me the best translations of the following books:
1) Notes from Underground
2) Crime and Punishment
3) The Idiot
4) The Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7576282
>1) Notes from Underground

whatever except for p/v

>2) Crime and Punishment

mcduff or, second option, p/v if you cant find one

>3) The Idiot

none it blows

>4) The Brothers Karamazov

mcandrew
>>
>>7576282
Already a thread on this bucko

>>7566741

Check the catalog next time
>>
>Notes from Underground
Ralph Matlaw

>Crime and Punishment
Pevear & Volokhonsky

>The Idiot
Pevear and Volokhonsky

>The Brothers Karamazov
Ignat Avsey
>>
>>7576305
>Pevear & Volokhonsky

AHAHAHAHAHA

Oh fuck you're serious

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7576311
the "p/v suck" countermeme is just /lit/ reactionaries blowing their admittedly subpar Notes out of proportion. their c&p isn't bad at all, compared to garnett or hogarth etc
>>
>>7576301
But i ordered the pv notes from underground because thats the C&p translation i read

Is it actually bad
>>
>>7576322
it's not atrocious (they're very competent translator, despite the /lit/ memes) but it's not their best work and you can tell. get something else.
>>
>>7576322
It's not awful but it definitely is the worse out of the popular translations. You'll be fine but yeah, next time I'd generally avoid P&V.
>>
>>7576282

I have a litmus test for this title actually: Look at the first line, since it involves a crucial translation choice that serves to interpret the work as a whole:
>I am a sick man ... I am a _____ man
How does a particular translation fill in the blank? A good translation uses a psychological term such as 'spiteful' or 'angry'. (A spiritual/moral choice like 'wicked' misses the central point.) My particular recs are:
* David Magarshack
* Constance Garnett (normally I don't recommend her, but for this work I think she's okay)

>2) Crime and Punishment
* Magarshack (he's my general recommendation by the way for a translation with an older, less modern rendering)
* David McDuff
* Oliver Ready

>3) The Idiot
* Magarshack
* McDuff
* Ignat Avsey

* Magarshack
* Ralph Matlaw (a revision of Garnett)
* Andrew MacAndrew
* McDuff
* Avsey (titled The Karamazov Brothers)

>5) Demons
* Magarshack (titled The Devils)
>>
>>7576311
oh my god you are such a tryhard. one contrarian article comes out after 20 years of praise and we get posts like this.
>>
>>7576318
>>7576330
>>7576365

Labeling criticism of Pevear's and Volokhonsky's translation work as a meme doesn't address the issue. The two of them have limits in their language abilities; for Pevear it's even a point of pride that he hasn't mastered Russian. They are marketed extensively and he marketing has been successful, but their work isn't as good as it's hyped to be.
>>
>>7576413
>for Pevear it's even a point of pride that he hasn't mastered Russian.

he's basically just an editor for larissa, whose russian is native.

>but their work isn't as good as it's hyped to be.

it's not "Ultimate Translators: 21st Century Edition" but pretending all of their translations are outright trash isn't "bringing up an issue", it's just a meme. they have good translations and bad translations and no one in the thread has pretended they're "as good as it's hyped to be."

i.e >>7576365
>>
>>7576282
Any translation of him that insists on "embellishing" his writing is bad.
>>
>>7576282
>>7576282
>Please suggest me the best translations of the following books:
>>7576360
>2) Crime and Punishment
McDuff/p&v/Oliver ready
>3) The Idiot
Avsey or McDuff
Avsey (no exceptions)
>>
The problem with P&V is that they are over hyped. Their methodology is accurate, but sometimes produces a cold, unlively translation. This is why meming the hype away is necessary so people will at least consider other translations.
>>
>>7576413

They're fine for Gogol.
>>
I seem unable to start a new thread so Ill ask here, where does a babby start with Turgunev A Sportsmans Sketches or Fathers and Sons?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.