[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/beg/ - BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 111

File: op.png (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
2MB, 1440x1440px
Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make someone proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, there is a question thread for that.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead (I recommend ShareX)

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're trash.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

OLD THREAD: >>2848511
>>
File: 2de66c9208767981b036d1f8ecfd64a5.jpg (127KB, 816x1224px) Image search: [Google]
2de66c9208767981b036d1f8ecfd64a5.jpg
127KB, 816x1224px
>>
File: 39746b0428d74a2f7660cec204116a4c.jpg (115KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
39746b0428d74a2f7660cec204116a4c.jpg
115KB, 800x1200px
>>
>>
File: e5de36cd7f72c73df81e045662d7260a.jpg (200KB, 898x1200px) Image search: [Google]
e5de36cd7f72c73df81e045662d7260a.jpg
200KB, 898x1200px
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 6f0f89a66840f0e62b872575539a2b2c.jpg (175KB, 751x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6f0f89a66840f0e62b872575539a2b2c.jpg
175KB, 751x1200px
>>
File: Sketch-comp1.jpg (531KB, 1000x824px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-comp1.jpg
531KB, 1000x824px
This week's sketches, I'm going to dump them, they're mostly exercises from Fun with a Pencil and Figure Drawing for all it's Worth. Any critique is appreciated

1/6
>>
File: Sketch-comp2.jpg (463KB, 1000x824px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-comp2.jpg
463KB, 1000x824px
2/6
>>
File: Sketch-comp3.jpg (503KB, 1000x824px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-comp3.jpg
503KB, 1000x824px
3/6
>>
File: Sketch-comp4.jpg (502KB, 1000x824px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-comp4.jpg
502KB, 1000x824px
Rightmost one was a doodle that got out of control

4/6
>>
File: Sketch-comp5.jpg (490KB, 824x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-comp5.jpg
490KB, 824x1000px
5/6
>>
File: Sketch-comp6.jpg (486KB, 1000x824px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch-comp6.jpg
486KB, 1000x824px
6/6
>>
File: canyonWC.jpg (489KB, 1000x704px) Image search: [Google]
canyonWC.jpg
489KB, 1000x704px
All my watercolor paintings seem to just end up looking muddy (admittingly its mostly green and brown here) But I can't seem to work in cool tones.

HALP!
>>
>>2850893
Well now I feel even worse about my shitty blooks. I knew I was a retard all along.
>>
>>2850893
These all look like you started drawing in the 50's I recommend you supplement with some modern references too.

Good work and effort though.
>>
>>2850898
hey dude, nice practices. i like this one on the right, its fun to look at. for this pic make sure you figure out how the arms connect to the body, a fat face wouldn't really look like that if you were looking up at it. in general i think you have clarity issues, i think you can practice being more confident with your lines, try to draw continuous lines for the outline rather than breaking it up. for your hands drawn from life dont be so messy with the shading, and if you smudged it try not to until you can control your values with a pencil. you are lacking fore shortening for the fingertips on the bottom right and you can be way more careful with how you draw the shapes/lines, because the details are getting lost=lack of depth. good work though with the volume of work you're doing
>>
Any other glaring problems I should I address here? So far I've just had an anon tell me that I need to work on my line work, and that is for sure something that'll work on. I know I mess up big time on the face specifically the right eye and I had trouble getting the right hand to look decent.
>>
File: Nude Lady.jpg (774KB, 773x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nude Lady.jpg
774KB, 773x1000px
>>2850883
I decided to go ahead and give this a shot.
>>
>>2850938
Spend more time on it like three more hours
>>
File: villl.jpg (132KB, 960x864px) Image search: [Google]
villl.jpg
132KB, 960x864px
can someone help me wrap hmy head around villpu gestures?

he seems to omit certain lines (as shown in blue) when doing the figure in this style. how do i know which lines to omit as they seem to change from drawing to drawing?
>>
>>2850956
I mean, it's not like I've closed down Photoshop and decided to go out of the house to reward myself with a burger or anything. I'm aware that this is rough.

Anyway, I'm used to the idea that you should really be spending about 30 minutes at most to get a general idea of what's going on in the study. Most work after that is polish. (To be fair, though I haven't started on the hands yet...although I've personally been wanting to work on legs themselves a bit more, because trying to draw those from imagination is a weak spot for me, imo...so, more studies.)
>>
File: IMG_20170208_38359.jpg (93KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170208_38359.jpg
93KB, 1080x1920px
im just glad i put something on paper. i can never keep my hand in the same spot for more than 5 minutes. plus im fucking garbage. at this point its draw more. look more.
>>
>>2850935
yeah your drawing makes no sense. 1. fix the hand its a tiny little baby hand, the arms are also way too small in comparison to how you drew the legs, also finish up drawing the legs and other arm/at least indicate the shoulder being there and what direction its going. you are lacking volume -- ie. hair doesnt lay flat like clip art, whats inside that box and how is it connected to that belt which also looks like clipart, the dress thing really isnt wrapping around her body right, if you have a hat on your head and are lifting it up, show it being on the head and it getting lifted up. also the legs have a random line on them, for a drawing with so little lines that are all the same width that really messes up whats happening htere. the ear isn't connected to the neck and again with the volumes, hair would go around the ear. finally the arm doesnt have any indication of the muscles involved while lifting it up. honestly if you want to get better at drawing anime you are going to have to study realistic clothing and people.

>>2850906
stop using so many random brush strokes especially on the rocks , its muddy because you didn't add values,, also the back mountains look really overworked, also fix your drawing before you paint it because you can't tell what's happening here, the shapes don't look like they have depth they just look abstract
>>
>>2850973
Thanks again anon, I'll work on that shit.
>>
File: halp.png (128KB, 518x880px) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
128KB, 518x880px
>>2850405
I used this anon's reference

Help, how did I do
>>
>>2850967
He's been saying that to everyone in the last thread as well, it's not actual feedback, just a troll.
>>
>>2850997
this

i was pretty fucking angry last thread but i seem to have calmed down enough not to notice until you pointed him out.

what he is saying is incorrect. spending many hours polishing fundamentally flawed things is the opposite of what you should be doing. most people here should be spending less time on their pieces. either he thinks its funny to mislead people or he sincerely is completely subhuman and trying to hinder peoples progress.
>>
>>2850997
I've had people say that as actual critique, so thanks.

Although I probably could squeeze more out of this one anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 750x1164px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 750x1164px
asking for some critique on this. this is a line art for an OC character of mine named hemorroid.
>>
File: 20170208_014648.jpg (210KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_014648.jpg
210KB, 850x1133px
shitty but just getting back into drawing, trying to get really serious

probably shouldn't have used this 2H.. or started to randomly shade shit..

first thing i've just drawn from start to kinda-finish in a long time.
>>
>>2851011
next thread op with the text too
>>
>>2851011
Loomis
>>
>waste an hour on a terrible drawing
>instinctively rip it up and throw it in the trash
Am I being over dramatic?
>>
>>2851017
No, you're just being a faggot. Get back to drawing and stop wasting your time posting here.
>>
>>2851013
Ref?
>>
>>2851027

in here
>>2850884
>>
>>2851031
Have you read the sticky? Or any of the books?
>>
File: CanyonWcREFRENCE.jpg (430KB, 1000x565px) Image search: [Google]
CanyonWcREFRENCE.jpg
430KB, 1000x565px
>>2850973
Thanks for the crit. I was trying to study this. (it seemed like they also used strokes that way. The bottom left of the painting was kinda a free for all though) I am trying to do one of these a week and was rushing to get it done. Finished at 11:58pm haha

> its muddy because you didn't add values

What do you mean by that?

I kept going back to them to try and get them closer to the source and give them more definition between each other.
>>
>>2851034
i've checked out the w-ic-i but i haven't read the one for this thread yet. no books yet either.

i've started drawabox though
>>
File: Nude Ladyv1.2.jpg (176KB, 581x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nude Ladyv1.2.jpg
176KB, 581x1000px
>>2850938

And I'm going to call myself done for now. I'm contemplating on trying to make this an actual piece later on, because I kind of like this for some reason.
>>
>>2851011
I second the Loomis sentiment, but I'd also recommend learning how to ease up on your pencil strokes. It's all very scratchy, and most of it looks like you pushed down full force.
>>
>>2851011
Giving Mr T a shitty scar does not an OC make haha.
>>
>>2850993

You did a hell of a lot better than the first anon, for sure.

There's a few inaccuracies I'm seeing here and there, like the model's right side being a bit more curved than it originally was, her neck going a bit more towards her back, somewhat more chin definition, etc. Overall, it seems like your field of vision was rotated to the left by a few degrees,

I do like the muscle definition, though, and I wish I knew what brush you were using.
>>
>>2851067
do me pls

or anyone
>>2851013
>>
File: brushes.png (18KB, 1008x464px) Image search: [Google]
brushes.png
18KB, 1008x464px
>>2851067
I'm using Krita's first sketch brush. Don't know how well they work with a tablet, but they sure are saving me a lot of headache drawing with mouse, pic related for line comparison between sketch brush and regular pixel brush.

Best brush engine ever, Krita > Photoshop. And thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
>>
>>2851075
I'm assuming you're the person that did the drawing you're posting to, right?

I would like to take a look at the reference you used (and someone else asked for that as well.) However, a few things that are immediately catching my eye are how 1) the arm on the left side of the image seems gangly (because it's really thin, and it seems long in comparison to his torso). 2), the leg on the right side of the image seems unnaturally twisted (esp. the foot), and the quad for that leg seems to be a bit large, and 3) his briefs seem disproportionate. That's partially because of the disproportionate quad muscle mentioned in 2), but even with the attempt to imply that his dick is hanging over to the left side of the image (or so it seems, but I'm not sure if you intended for that with your pencil strokes or not), it seems like there's more coverage on the left, as if he's wearing boxers, but the right side looks like he's wearing panties.

Hopefully, that helps.
>>
>>2851081

Now you're tempting me to try Krita. (I'm a Photoshop+SAI user, but it doesn't seem like either has especially nifty brushes.)
>>
>>2850930

I agree, that's the one thing I dislike about Loomis' books, everyone's got some hairsprayed do that you wont find on anyone nowadays, I figured I shouldn't worry about that until I got past the fundamentals but now I think on it I could get a few references and just change the hairdos used in the exercises

>>2850931

I'll work on my confidence with linework, Do you know any books that help with it or should I just do it? I've always chicken-scratched but never tried to fix it. I think I'll redo the doodle but properly this time, not sure how I'll get the four arms to look anatomically correct though

Thank you both
>>
>>2851085
Try it, it's free anyway.

I switched completely from Photoshop to Krita solely because of the brush engine. There are a few annoying things, such as you can't select multiple layers and apply an action to all of them, say merge, or even drag and drop them to a folder. You have to do it one by one. There was something else that annoyed me but I can't remember now.

Other than that, would recommend.
>>
>>2851100
Someone explain to me this brush engine thing. I only use round brush, so it doesn't mean much to me.
>>
>>2851084
thank you. yeah i fucked both arms. this is the ref - >>2850884
>>
File: krita.png (204KB, 1274x692px) Image search: [Google]
krita.png
204KB, 1274x692px
>>2851103
Round brush would be just regular pixel brush that leaves whatever the shape of brush is on canvas.

Krita has some other nifty brush types and I like them because they help me stabilize my lines as in pic here >>2851081

Pic related, shows how they work. First is pixel brush, others are Krita's sketch brushes.

There are a few other brush types, but can't say I've found them very useful.
>>
Can somebody suggest a place where I can find a practice schedule? I have a lot of free time that goes wasted because I'm never sure what I should be practicing and just dick around.
>>
>>2851129
Just tell me what you want to draw and I'll give you one.
>>
>>2851132
Everything; people, landscapes, machines, cartoon/anime, plants I just want to improve.

I've basically only focused on gesture and some anatomy but there are still things that throw me off like hands and the pelvis, I also want to really focus on taking my first steps into rendering because I have a weak grasp on values, blocking in and blending.

I'm also a beginner in perspective, only really understanding line of sight and one point perspective.

Like I've written, I know places that need improving but I have no idea how to practice some of them or how to balance the practice out.
>>
>>2851135
Then just draw the things you want to improve at. I swear you beginners over complicate things more than they need to be. If you want to render, then do value studies. If you want to draw hands, draw hands. If you want to get better at perspective, do a lot of work with perspective. Also, balance does not exist, take that word out of the equation and just draw.
>>
>>2850922

I wouldn't feel that bad, man. He has mostly copied from the book whereas you tried to create entirely new ones. You are both approaching the book from different angles so you're going to get different results.
>>
>>2851014
its in my sights senpai
>>
>>2851100
>such as you can't select multiple layers and apply an action to all of them, say merge, or even drag and drop them to a folder.
this doesn't seem to be the case anymore
>>
File: 4chanedit2.png (1024KB, 1279x870px) Image search: [Google]
4chanedit2.png
1024KB, 1279x870px
>>2851039
okay sorry if this diagram makes no sense. i'm trying to explain about relative values, it does matter what color you have but it matters more about what value something is more. #1 says your shadow in the front is the same as the shadow on the back mountain. #2 is the trees going further back in space. you used the same green while the ref has more green in the front and less contrasted in the back(purpleish) also their brush strokes are something to look at, see how much larger they indicated each tree in the front vs. the strokes you have show that the trees are all the same size. #3 is same thing as number one but when you compare 3a to 1a in your ref (1a is closer to us and probably should be darker/more contrasted) 3a is darker. anyway, it's not only at these spots you constantly have to be comparing values/temperature around a painting. learn about atmospheric perspective- as things go further away from us, the less contrasted they are and usually there's also a temperature case, in this refs instance its actually warm-> cool in the front because of the sunset. and for the brush strokes, notice how they do the same thing as the trees- they are more distinct in the fore ground and get blurred in the BG, not saying it always has to be that way but they chose a few places to add a focal point with their brush strokes. also some other things i noted: look at the negative space between the trees, look at the distinction between the fg rocks and the bottom of the canyon and the color temperature change. also maybe if you applied a perspective grid and drew out your drawing before you'd have an easier time visualizing what shapes you need to paint in order to make it look like it has depth.
>>
>>2851170
Oh, nice. Didn't even realize they've got the new version out, I'm probably a year out of date.
>>
>>2851045
I like the blending you did with the values. :) I think if you decide to render it more it would make an interesting study piece.
>>
File: Cabin water wheel WC.jpg (188KB, 1776x1004px) Image search: [Google]
Cabin water wheel WC.jpg
188KB, 1776x1004px
>>2851183
This is actually extremely helpful! So much so that I plan to try and do another painting following these tips tomorrow or the next day. I will post it in the beg thread.

I am actually partially colorblind and it makes telling what color things actually are really hard. Many shades of purple/blue and orange and green look the same to me. (or are very hard to differentiate)

The reason the placement is different is primarily that I fucked up. However the source of the fuckup was ambition mixed with poor planning. I defined a box I wanted to make the painting in, but I also decided that I wanted to show more of the rocks on the left than the ref as a way to test myself. (Since other people told me when I do studies to they ended up looking like copies this way I HAD to do something original and apply what I learned.) However, I didn't adjust for the extra space the rocks would take up and the valley got fucked.

The shadow in the back was actually so dark because while the majority of the painting was done with my cotman half pan set, I decided half that things looked too similar. (lack of contrast) so I broke out my artist grade wc and mixed a purple. (It was darker than it seemed on the test paper, but it was there so I committed to it.

The cool tone of the valley to give contrast/pop to the front rock was one place I knew I fucked up but ran out of time.

Now excuses and all that aside. I am going to move forward and Tomorrow I will do another painting! Hopefully a more true to reference. one.

I still feel like I am learning and that compared to (pic included) I have come a long way with this only being my 2nd watercolor environment. I really want to make it hahah! At least the canyon looks more like a painting.

And thank you so much for taking the time to point things out like that. It really means a lot to me! <3
>>
File: 4chanedit3.png (551KB, 497x784px) Image search: [Google]
4chanedit3.png
551KB, 497x784px
>>2851096
for linework, you'll get it over time with deliberate practice, you don't have to search for style yet, i'd recommend just continuing to draw lots of anything until it looks like the thing you want it to look like, whether its sketchy or not and then clean it up later. i recommend looking at artists with really good line quality, doing a study and then trying to apply that knowledge to something else. some artists i like for their line quality are al hirschfeld, frank frazetta, moebius other comic book artists, i like animators drawings too, in general i think they have really good draftsmanship, check out how clean and simple some of their drawings are - people love milt kahl, you can check some of the model sheets for other animated characters and observe how each line and shape is thought out so they can relate to each other and just "fit" also you can check out those dynamic sketching tutorials, there's this one exercise where you draw over a line 7 times with a pen, draw squiggly lines 7 times over, draw elipses over and over again, it will really train your hand. i think this one site drawabox tells you how to do it, even if some of the other lessons are meme-like lol. but it explains how to do those exercises so maybe you should try that first and then try and doing master copies for linework. also i drew over your drawing in case you want ideas as to how to connect the arm - think of how a regular arm connects and just do it twice. i tried different ways to connect an arm, with armpit hair, it connects to the cleavage, the stoumach fat rolls over it, idk theres some sort of weird goop plastered on. i saw that you can draw cleavage so you can draw an arm connecting- its all about showing which shape/line comes in front of another shape, what else, you could really make your drawing ridiculous by drawing it even more fat, the arms could be sagging fat and the dildo could look more squishable
>>
File: New Canvas0.jpg (213KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas0.jpg
213KB, 1000x563px
Haven't drawn for almost 2 years now. What's the best way to get back into it?
>>
>>2851223
By drawing
>>
File: gest.png (878KB, 1011x606px) Image search: [Google]
gest.png
878KB, 1011x606px
>tfw never gonna make it
>>
>>2851236
Looking good, keep at it! We're all gonna make it!
>>
I am using a felt tip pen, is it just me or do they dry extremely quickly?
>>
>>2851236
>that middle one
LMAO
>>
>>2851236
This is what happens when you try to draw from imagination without a reference or solid visual library. There is no shame in using references. Professionals in the industry do it all the time.
>>
I was wondering, does studying indesign help you get better at drawing and character design? We found a printer near us that is looking for people to hire, but they want you to know programs like indesign if you want to work there.
>>
>10 year olds doing MSPaint pictures of Steven Universe characters are 10 times as popular as anything I've ever done

I'm sure glad I don't rely on attention for motivation, this is about the time I'd start tying myself a noose, or worse yet start making fanart
>>
File: 4chink.jpg (198KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4chink.jpg
198KB, 562x1000px
>>2850877
Feels really bad when you do drawings that are worse than usual. I shouldn't be so sloppy.
>>
File: 20170208_134122.jpg (199KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_134122.jpg
199KB, 562x1000px
>>2850877
from cutie to horror

something's really bad but can't even point what it is...
>>
File: 20170208_134200_002.jpg (183KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_134200_002.jpg
183KB, 562x1000px
and another one from last thread

please critique mates, don't really improve since a bit (some things even getting worse than before...)

using loomis on each portraits and trying to pay attention to values, but it seems i like the technique to do them right sometimes like "this area is darker" and well, it wasn't intented
>>
>>2851352
welp, think i fucked up the construction and that the head is too wide in fact
>>
>>2851352

It's the eyes, also the teeth need to be darkened, as they are it looks like her teeth are sitting right by her lips, it makes her look like she's shushing someone rather than pouting

Her hair looks like a big block, make it have some volume ad fix the fringe, you've misplaced the ear (it sits on the jaw not the back of the head) and her head is too wide, neck is thick and you've removed her brow ridge.

You need to learn proportions, unironically go and read some LOOMIS
>>
File: 2ndtry.jpg (179KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2ndtry.jpg
179KB, 563x1000px
>>2850878
>>2851335
did one more
>>
Just curious, do any famous online artists frequent /ic/?

On that same note, has /ic/ produced any famous artists? There seems to be a lot of good resources and critique here.
>>
>>2851365

If you got famous, would you want to be publicly affiliated with 4chan?

There's your answer
>>
>>2851362
i shit you not i tried to it using loomis method, but it seems i don't understand it as it goes...
>>
>>2851362
and thanks for the head up btw
>>
>>2851369
if i got famous i'd probably shitpost on ic with a puppet youtube tutorial account where i do nothing but memes
but that'll never happen anon
>>
Guys, I am trying my first rendering attempt. I am detailing and only got the handle so far, any advice?

Is rendering always a slow and painful process?
>>
File: First Render attempt.jpg (69KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
First Render attempt.jpg
69KB, 960x540px
>>2851398

Fugg, forgot the image.
>>
>>2851398
>Guys, I am trying my first rendering attempt.
ok...
>Is rendering always a slow and painful process?
no
>>
File: 00431.jpg (73KB, 438x220px) Image search: [Google]
00431.jpg
73KB, 438x220px
>>2851378

Looking at it again it seems like you did put the jaw in the right place originally but for some reason you gave her a second one further back and that's what's confused everything else while you were drawing it.
>>
>>2851408
ah damn yeah, don't even know why i did that
must have messed up my sketch and took the wrong one
>>
>>2851401
I thought another anon did this image. Is this an exercise for something?
>>
>>2851270
Not that anon.
But I don't think they are from imagination. I'm pretty sure I remember the picture on the left.
>>
>>2851236
If you're trying to do gestures, you're doing it wrong. You're just trying to copy the contours. Watch proko or read hampton and maybe limit your amount of lines that you are allowed to use.
>>
File: MrPenisHands.jpg (83KB, 1186x684px) Image search: [Google]
MrPenisHands.jpg
83KB, 1186x684px
>>2851551

Yep, it's an Exercise from the Premium series ''Basic Rendering'' by Ctrl + Paint.
>>
File: fishy.jpg (190KB, 990x726px) Image search: [Google]
fishy.jpg
190KB, 990x726px
question about this. i think im at a point where i can focus on pushing detail or just fucking call it quits. so even at 1k at you can tell im just painting with broad brushstrokes. the .psd canvas is like 3k x2.2k. i have a lot of space to push detail. i mean, at this point id be pushing my limits but how do you decide how far to take a painting? should try to make this one more detailed?
>>
>>2851639
All the way to your limit, yes. Take as much time as you need to really make it a good piece. I still see many areas for refinement. Get to it. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>2851644
okay ill push this one hard then, thanks
>>
>>2851369

You could still do fundamental studies from time to time, and not really have those attached to a formal body of work. You can choose to not sign things, or keep certain things hidden, no?
>>
>>2851679

That's not the point friend. How would we know how many "famous" artists have posted on /ic/ when they'd never want it to be known that they used this site

The only ones that come to mind are the few that autists have found by connecting old uploads on blogs to stuff posted here like tehmeh
>>
>>2851369

I wouldn't mind, I plan on drawing porn for weirdos like me tho.
>>
File: 1477527660380.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1477527660380.gif
2MB, 500x281px
How do I into perspective?
I just don't know where to start. I mean I read and did some exercises from PME, and I can draw cubes in perspective using a ruler, but I don't know how to apply that shit to figures. I don't think I "got it", I know what the terms mean but have no idea how to use them correctly.

Any advice?
>>
>>2851733

>Learn how to draw basic shapes in perspective
>Construct your figures out of basic shapes
>>
>>2851733

And you need to know more than cubes, you also need to know spheres, cylinders, cones etc.
>>
Does anyone else come to these threads to read and laugh at the critiques? Some of these anon are truthful but really just tearing the artist a new one, I love it. You know the artist spent it least 30 min. on that piece and you're telling them how it is, it's shit and this how you make it less shit.

No wonder many artists have mental disorders.

All their life, they're told they have potential and then some experienced, wiser anon rips their pencil's ass hole wide open!
>>
>>2851749
No pain no gain.
>>
>>2851749
anons make funny insults whenever i post something, i can't imagine someone being offended over being called out for being shit
>>
>>2851749
Among posts like these and the ridiculously subtle "keep polishing" sabotage posts I can't tell who's serious and who isn't
>>
File: 2017-02-08 12.24.04.jpg (236KB, 546x649px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-08 12.24.04.jpg
236KB, 546x649px
I was using a stub to blend in values and I'm wondering if I'm doing it right? Should I be using a stub at all for values? I also realize the square is wonky I wasn't really concerned since I wanted to practice value
>>
>>2851789
A sphere would probably be better for getting the values right
>>
>>2851789
Value follows form so it makes no sense to do that.
>>
>>2851789
That looks more like a diamond than a cube. The back left and front right are tilted out.
>>
>>2851794
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you talking about using a smudger? Or do an organic form for practicing value?
>>
>>2851644
>>2851646
I mean for these kind of things QUANTITY is always more important for beginners than quality. The majority of the actual learning/problem solving is in the first 30-40% of the drawing/painting. After that the fine touches are just fluff. Aka >>2851644 is trolling you.

The fish looks like it is 4 feet long, with a broken back. It looks more like an eel with a fish head. The only thing worth refining here is the water reflections. Tray and improve those. Maybe even use a softer brush.

The way you drew the light source it is coming from behind and to the right of the fish. But the way you did most of the lighting, makes it seem like the sun/light is directly above.

The fishes eye is in the shadow side so there shouldn't really be highlights in it either.

Keep at it. This is a good attempt.

Did you use a reference? If so post it please.
>>
>>2851270
>>2851236
More like this is someone who is using a reference but doesn't know how to use construction or anything about how the body balances in 3d spaces.

I'm really tired of people coming to /beg/ and saying shit like 'never gonna make it' and posting a picture of something they haven't even read up on.

Seriously. If you wanna draw figures, learn anatomy, posture, construction, values, ALL that shit. RARELY EVER does drawing only require like one skill. If you're just drawing fucking boxes I guess all you need is a good muscle and a good eye for proportion, but the more complex your subject, the more skills you need to have to combine.

So get back to the books son before you complain about not making it
>>
File: lady.jpg (32KB, 524x699px) Image search: [Google]
lady.jpg
32KB, 524x699px
same anon as >>2851013

trying to focus the basic shapes...

do i have the right idea? what should I try instead?

breaking into first beginner book tonight.
>>
>>2851355
look up guides on values and shading and shit.

Also the face has a lot of symbol drawing. Try to break out of that symbol shit, it's really apparent around the nose and eyes.

Also what medium are you using? I'd suggest using pencil before you use anything else just because you pencils are the fundamental drawing apparatus, you can't really skip using a pencil.

Cloth is looking good though, I imagine you haven't really studied up a lot on these techniques but I can see you got an alright idea on cloth, just needs some fine tuning
>>
>>2851833
What's going on with the shoulders? post the reference picture.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (113KB, 1000x873px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
113KB, 1000x873px
>>2850877
>>
>>2851853
Really good, things I can point out: the ear and lips are not big enough. Also draw hair, you'll have to do it eventually.
>>
>>2851593
You're not going dark enough, but keep going!
>>
File: desenho20.jpg (560KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
desenho20.jpg
560KB, 720x1280px
I'm getting good at copying, but to create I'm shitty, how can I improve this?
>>
>>2851842
hey, thanks for the head up, yeah i'm struggling with symbol drawing (it's rather fresh, didn't know this existed 10 days ago)

i used charcoal to see if i could do the shades better since it didn't go well with pencils the other time

do you have some kind of good thing for those guides ?
>>
>>2851842
oh and for the techniques, for now i'm just focusing on values/shade and loomis construction

>>2851352
for example, also made this one : i can't draw hair, don't know how right now
>>
File: IMG_5798.jpg (458KB, 1000x2277px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5798.jpg
458KB, 1000x2277px
Went to a life drawing thing.
How'd I do?

Poses were between 15-20minutes
>>
File: 1483506762529.jpg (24KB, 230x253px) Image search: [Google]
1483506762529.jpg
24KB, 230x253px
>>2851896
You're not doing construction, first you need to draw the entire head shape and then draw the helmet on top of it, same applies to the knight, he looks weird and stiff because you're not thinking of his body beneath the armor.
When copying from a reference you NEED to replicate the entire process, not just the final product.
>>
>>2851876
>>2851876
tried fixing the ear and lips and sketching in the hair
>>
File: edited.jpg (113KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
edited.jpg
113KB, 1000x1000px
>>2851923
>>
>>2851912
pencil ones are ok. Not a fan of the middle colored one but to each their own.

How do YOU feel about your work?
>>
>>2851902
I'm sure the sticky has something good on it, if not just ask around. I'm actually honestly looking for good shading guides as well because shading is a big weak point for me too.

But yeah honestly just stick with pencils right now because once you know how to use a pencil, learning other mediums will be better (why bother shading shit if it's still shit? a well constructed drawing with poor shading is always going to be better than a poorly constructed drawing with amazing shading)
>>
>>2851912
middle one seems kinda formless, like it has very little reading

all the other ones make me think you dont belong in /beg/ anymore though
>>
>>2851843

did another from this thread, forgot to add it again.
>>2850877
>>
>>2850893
I feel "life" in your drawings, keep going anon!
>>
>>2851942
The neck is way too tick, the ear is wrong and really busy, don't draw so much detail if you can't get the basic shapes right. Her back and shoulders look really off, look up some anatomy studies. And finally to draw the hair try to follow the shapes of the head. Hope this helps, keep at it.
>>
>>2851942
>>2851974
Forgot about the nose, look at how this anon did it >>2851924
>>
>>2851936
feel rusty, and that I really need to work on how flabby bodies/ older faces look
>>2851941
ehhhhh
>>
File: 02-08-.jpg (865KB, 931x1406px) Image search: [Google]
02-08-.jpg
865KB, 931x1406px
>>2850877
Had regrets about adding pen almost immediately
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (929KB, 1316x1262px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
929KB, 1316x1262px
>>2851902

Here's some bits from Drawing the Head and Hands that might help you
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (50KB, 413x629px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
50KB, 413x629px
>>2852026

woops, forgot this one
>>
>>2852000
Why is everyone giving her these fucking rabbit teeth? Don't draw the middle of her lips right above her teeth, look at the ref.
>>
>>2852000
This drawing looks like the symbol drawing meme. You should work on it more.
>>
File: Untitled-6.jpg (243KB, 920x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-6.jpg
243KB, 920x1000px
>>
>>2852035
Ref?
>>
>>2852035
Apple on the right gave me an erection.
>>
File: ok.jpg (312KB, 797x960px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
312KB, 797x960px
I felt today was pretty good; I didn't have much output, and it wasn't of quality, but I learnt a bunch of new concepts
>>
>>2852046
Good, learning concepts is just the first step. Now apply them to your own personal works or else you won't truly understand them.
>>
Are my forms fine?
>>
>>2852053
Yeah, now do textures.
>>
>vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>chatter chatter
>I'm just gonna give you guys some air *slam*

I wish the audio was a little better in the Vilppu videos.
>>
File: kebab.jpg (56KB, 547x403px) Image search: [Google]
kebab.jpg
56KB, 547x403px
the more i look at this the more retarded it looks
>>
>>2852056
Any tips on that? It looks harder than anything before it on Draw A Box...
>>
>>2852046
The head on that one point perspective figure looks kinda small, but otherwise the next step you got is adding detail
>>
>>2852136
wtf is going on with zir eyes?
>>
File: adas.png (375KB, 2250x1688px) Image search: [Google]
adas.png
375KB, 2250x1688px
Is this any good?
Want to try brushes but I dont have experience mixing colors with the brushes
>>
File: fat fuck from JP.gif (987KB, 229x176px) Image search: [Google]
fat fuck from JP.gif
987KB, 229x176px
>>2851352
>that eye

kill all chinks, before it sucks out my soul
>>
File: color crashers Resize.png (389KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
color crashers Resize.png
389KB, 720x540px
(first post on /ic/)
color study I did. Just wanted to experiment with color combinations
>>
File: SAVE_ME.gif (62KB, 185x168px) Image search: [Google]
SAVE_ME.gif
62KB, 185x168px
>>2852136
How to salvage it:
draw patch
draw demon horn
paint arm red
>>
>>2852252
Thanks doc.
>>
>>2852258
green and purple green and purple
>>
File: portrait.jpg (160KB, 710x885px) Image search: [Google]
portrait.jpg
160KB, 710x885px
>>2848512
First time doing digital painting.
>>
File: IMG_20170208_214735.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170208_214735.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Tried out Loomis and decided to have some fun with the faces
>>
>>2852304
>decided to have some fun
get out
>>
>>2852312
Is it not supposed to be fun?
>>
>>2852313
no, you are only supposed to grind exercises and training
>>
>>2852314
thats stupid
fuck art
>>
>>2852319
no u
>>
>>2852303
Spend more time refining the features. Looks good, but could be better.
>>
>>2852304
how old are you
>>
>>2852337
19 and I wanted to draw for fun but if that's not how it's supposed to be I'll.just stick to.my normie hobbies
>>
File: random_sketch.jpg (388KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
random_sketch.jpg
388KB, 1440x1440px
Here's my doodles. I just put on music and drew some random shit. I find it kinda helps me relax.
>>
>>2852338
man i;m not saying don't have fun with it i'm just saying your sense of humor is exactly what a teenager's is, was just making sure i was correct in that assumption
>>
>>2852338
dude like you know that that guy was just messing with you

it's fine to have fun but the idea in this thread is to post works and exercises that garner critique that you can use to improve and make the grind easier

personally i dont think it helps that you still are pretty shit (to be expected so it's fine) and you reek of underage with the subject matter that you're drawing

but just understand what's satire and what's not
>>
>>2852346
>that one really good eye
Was that one a ref?
>>
>>2852352
Yeah actually all of them are from reference. I started drawing one eye for a little bit then moved on to the next one. When I got bored I went and tried to draw anime stuff.
>>
>>2852139
not that anon but some tips for textures i found really helpful:

1.) change the silhoutte to reflect the texture (this is kinda hard to describe but essentially if you take a circle and draw fur within the circle its not gonna look furry, but if you draw tufts of fur coming out and on top of the circle, it will look furry.) Changing the silhouette of the object to match the texture probably does more than actually doing texture on the form itself
>>
anyone got that texture cylinder image?
>>
File: 1381682220514.jpg (266KB, 1100x3138px) Image search: [Google]
1381682220514.jpg
266KB, 1100x3138px
>>2852373
I hae a texture cylinder image I saved but I don't know if it's the one you're looking for.
>>
>>2852373
Which one? There's a ton on pintrest. If you mean the blank one, no.
>>
File: 1486613007343(1).png (93KB, 665x940px) Image search: [Google]
1486613007343(1).png
93KB, 665x940px
Again, attempting realism as /ic/ suggested. Any critique?
>>
File: tumblr_nltz4k4JBQ1qctyjdo1_1280.jpg (600KB, 1280x1723px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nltz4k4JBQ1qctyjdo1_1280.jpg
600KB, 1280x1723px
>>2852384
Reference used.
>>
>>2852384
I think the eyes are too big.
>>
File: BnX1icw[1].jpg (51KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BnX1icw[1].jpg
51KB, 750x1000px
Originally for LAS but It isn't topic relevant and I'm frustrated with how it turned out.
>>
>>2852387
Yeah, I realized that shortly after posting. Thanks for the tip though, any other critiques?
>>
>>2852374
i was looking for the blank one. thats good enough though ty.
>>
>>2852388
>tfw drew that exact same train
Why the fuck did you draw it all wrong though you faggot
>>
>>2852384
Still feels a little cartoonish.

The eyes are rather large and I've noticed in a few places that you've simplified a lot of details instead of drawing them how they actually are.
>>
>>2852396
I started with something else in mind, then trains came to mind, but I'd already set up the vanishing points and fiddled around with using them before I found that train reference.

Also I'm terrible.
>>
File: 20170208_230235.png (1MB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
20170208_230235.png
1MB, 1000x1333px
I'm trying to get better with shading, so I whipped out the jowls.
>>
>>2852384
Head width and height are wrong, narrow it.
Eyes are too big.
Nose way too long.
Eyebrows not long enough.
Hair shape near her neck is wrong.
Hope this helps.
>>
>>2852170
The reference was bad quality and I can't imagine stuff
>>
>>2852414
>>2852397
Thanks for the tips.
>>
File: 1_1000.jpg (154KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1_1000.jpg
154KB, 562x1000px
>>2850876
First part of my night shift grind - I tried but it's still hard during work
>>
File: 2_1000.jpg (165KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2_1000.jpg
165KB, 562x1000px
>>2852429
Second part
>>
>>2852384
once you realize there are no lines in nature, you'll have an art breakthrough

VERY few people can break symbol drawing such as that by only using lines
>>
>>2852431
And by very few, this fucker means like a few thousand people.
>>
>>2852433
i'm talking like maybe 5 or so in /beg/. I'm just saying it's easier to understand the face more when value or SOME sort of rendering is involved (at least that's how it was for me) because things make more sense when you bring in depth and how light hits the planes of the face a certain way
>>
>>2852431
How do I get good at lines?
>>
>>2852442
1. practicing lines
2. knowing the face well enough that you know where to put lines appealingly
>>
>>2852450
Can you be a little bit more specific
>>
File: 02-08-2.jpg (63KB, 537x800px) Image search: [Google]
02-08-2.jpg
63KB, 537x800px
>>2850877
Tried again, hate it as much. Not my day I guess.

inb4 Loomis - I'm getting there, almost done with keys
>>
>>2852454
>tfw see proportion issues but to point them all out would take forever
Someone else can tell anon please
>>
File: KIMG0953.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0953.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Something feels unnatural
>>
>>2852464
This guy is going to make it. He's got creativity.
>>
>>2852464
By the way, don't smear, looks amateurish and shit when not done well.
>>
How important is your memory when it comes to learning to draw? Will It stop me from making it?
>>
>>2852489
Very important, if you can't remember the last 5 seconds, not going to make it.
>>
>>2852489
unless you have a disability, no
if you do, ask your doctor, think critically about it, then come to an informed conclusion.
>>
>look in the drawthread
>everyone there is actually good
huh
>>
>>2852575
We kick you out of here once you're good. It breeds anger.
>>
>>2852576
one day ill make it to the draw thread
>>
>>2852580
You can make it there in a few months really. You just have to specialize in one thing.
>>
>>2852584
already been here six months. i want to do it properly so no shortcuts for me
>>
File: jkl.jpg (66KB, 905x1280px) Image search: [Google]
jkl.jpg
66KB, 905x1280px
am i doing it correctly?
>>
>>2852654
Ref?
>>
File: ref.jpg (108KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ref.jpg
108KB, 1024x1024px
>>2852658
>>2852654
>>
>>2852654
Looks okay, yeah. The form reads, but it could definitely be furthered rendered. It's very loose and painterly.
>>
>>2852661
O V E R L A Y
V
E
R
L
A
Y
>>
File: 2017 02 09 #2.png (2MB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
2017 02 09 #2.png
2MB, 3200x1800px
how should i be blending? it always looks muddy
>>
>>2852865
Use different layers.
>>
File: mfwr9k.jpg (2MB, 2008x2312px) Image search: [Google]
mfwr9k.jpg
2MB, 2008x2312px
>>2850876
Could one of you kind anons please check my thread I made here >>2852782

I didn't want to clutter up this one with my vast amounts of shit.

Any critiques would be helpful.
Or just shit on them, either is fine.
>>
What's a good book/source to learn machinery like mills, cars etc. pieces? other than drawaboxobviously.
>>
>>2852891
>>2850876
Fuck, okay looking through here I shouldn't even be itt.

I'll just move myself to the Absolute Beginner one... Or just kms
>>
>>2852896
The fuck you saying, you're like better than 78.56% of /beg/
That doesn't mean you don't suck though, just less than most of these retards.
>>
>>2852899
T-thanks Anon ;_;
>>
File: Self Portrait.jpg (206KB, 1000x674px) Image search: [Google]
Self Portrait.jpg
206KB, 1000x674px
>>2852891 Here.

Since this thread seems a bit more active I'm just going to dump the choicest parts of my other thread here >>2852782

Pepper your Angus.
>>
File: 1486645627077.jpg (498KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486645627077.jpg
498KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852920
>>
File: 1486643636254.jpg (524KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486643636254.jpg
524KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852921
Funny how some people have a certain "style".
I can't ever find a particular preference.
>>
File: 1486643579288.jpg (476KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486643579288.jpg
476KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852922
>>
File: 1486643535791.jpg (458KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486643535791.jpg
458KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852923
>>
File: 1486643444236.jpg (506KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486643444236.jpg
506KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852924
>>
File: 1486643400411.jpg (532KB, 1000x1446px) Image search: [Google]
1486643400411.jpg
532KB, 1000x1446px
>>2852925
I'm being greedy and taking up other Anon's spaces, sorry, I just want some 4chin honest opinions.
>>
File: 1486643254857.jpg (461KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486643254857.jpg
461KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852928
desu I didn't even read the sticky so I'm probably doing something that's not allowed :(
>>
File: 1486643124343.jpg (246KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1486643124343.jpg
246KB, 1000x750px
>>2852929
>>
File: 1486643044811.jpg (497KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1486643044811.jpg
497KB, 1000x1333px
>>2852934
>>
File: 1486642858452.jpg (257KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1486642858452.jpg
257KB, 1000x750px
>>2852935
>>
File: 1486642799404.jpg (274KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1486642799404.jpg
274KB, 1000x750px
>>2852936
Most of these I cocked up trying to learn to "glaze".
>>
File: 1486642750305.jpg (378KB, 1000x834px) Image search: [Google]
1486642750305.jpg
378KB, 1000x834px
>>2852938
And last one.
>>
>>2852939
the other anon was incorrect.
>>
>>2852943
I know. I never swallowed my ego and just went back to basics to practice. I kept doing what I thought worked for me, but as you can see it doesn't.
>tfw you'd draw a skeleton instead of just using construction to shape a body.
I look at these now and see so much that needs work, it's almost daunting, like I've been telling myself a lie that I believed for the longest time until I woke up and looked again.
>>
>>2852388
>smudging
ngmi
>>
>>2852464
Posture is too stiff
>>
>>2852865
It looks muddy because you haven defined the form enough, you have to use a smaller brush and align the edges
>>
>>2852865
dont use different layers. that other guy is wrong
>>2852384
Very funny drawing, your skill is there its just a bit of placement and proportion

>>2852346
PAIRS OR NOTHING.

>>2852035
gj for your studies you can move out of beg
>>
>>2853008
Don't listen to namefags, they're always wrong and make sure to filter them.
>>
File: LOLpussyHAHAHA.jpg (293KB, 3000x3148px) Image search: [Google]
LOLpussyHAHAHA.jpg
293KB, 3000x3148px
does this cat look drawn right? dont worry about the perspective of the doric column, im fixing that in a bit
>>
>>2853034
No, cat's have a super long torso when they stand.
>>
>>2853036
i meant kitten
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 226x223px
like this
>>
>>2853040
That's pretty lewd
>>
>>2853044
youre right that pose is really suggestive. thats why i tamed mine down to a kitten scratching a post simply for the sake of keeping its nails or claws or whatever kept. but i think i still need to make the torso just a bit longer looking at it again. anything else wrong with it?
>>
File: file (3).png (936B, 19x16px) Image search: [Google]
file (3).png
936B, 19x16px
>>2853047
you forgot this
>>
>>2853072
is that really necessary though? that cat is full on leaning into it, mine isnt
>>
File: 2cats.jpg (64KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
2cats.jpg
64KB, 600x630px
i decided he needed a friend and i need to practice a different angle so i gave him a friend. no idea if his anatomy is right but im getting off now
>>
>>2853099
Now your composition is unbalanced.
>>
>>2853099
What ref did you use for this?
>>
>>2853083
your cat looks like a human with fur and a cat hat
cats are bendy and shit
>>
>>2853099
Look up a cat anatomy tutorial on deviant art or something.
>>
>>2853099
Cats are liquid dude
>>
>>2853101
shit. ill switch them around and make the far cat look to the right then

>>2853103
nothing specific. i googled cat laying down front view and im just looking to find what best matches what i want, which is sorta straight on from the front but hips out to the side so you can see the rest of the body. pic related is probably the closest to what im trying to do but with the back of the body out just a bit more

>>2853105
sheit you mean animals need gesture too

>>2853106
just tried that nothing really came up besides views im not using and just basic bone structure stuff

>>2853107
im sure they have some bones and stuff but i know what you mean

okay ill try to redraw both of these and make them more interesting later then. if it helps to understand for the vertical cat, i meant for it to have kind 'slid down' the post already so the back would be sorta straightened out, if that helps
>>
and thanks for the feedback
>>
File: idk.png (25KB, 786x864px) Image search: [Google]
idk.png
25KB, 786x864px
>>2850877
first time doing something like this i dont even drawn
>>
>>2852304
Wow so edgy
>>
File: 1462689567211.jpg (181KB, 1346x1485px) Image search: [Google]
1462689567211.jpg
181KB, 1346x1485px
>>2853128
If you're serious about wanting to draw you have to start by learning construction, your drawing is utterly out of proportion and you're drawing lines instead of the values shown in the ref.
>>
>>2852752
what do you mean?
>>
File: teufelskreis.png (275KB, 1000x846px) Image search: [Google]
teufelskreis.png
275KB, 1000x846px
>>2850876
Facial expression training of the day - ended in a comic... used a mirror for the first time. What do you think?
>>
File: 12.png (55KB, 896x904px) Image search: [Google]
12.png
55KB, 896x904px
>>2853164
oh i see thanks for the tips my dude check my second try tell me what you think
>>
>>2853237
First of all, stop using MSPaint and a mouse to draw. Second, read the sticky.
>>
File: 20170209_204743.jpg (170KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170209_204743.jpg
170KB, 562x1000px
>>2851352
>>2851362
Second attempt.

Tried to correct the construction, to change the mouth so she doesn't have rabbit teeth, also the eyes and the hair, hope it's better now !
>>
>>2853251

Definitely an improvement, her cheekbone and chin are protruding too far though, and her cheekbone is quite sharp in your drawing
>>
File: IMG_5810.jpg (116KB, 616x833px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5810.jpg
116KB, 616x833px
>>2850877
>>
>>2853233
Excuse me, I'm here to inform you this is SHIT!

Keep practicing!
>>
>>2853271
Of course I am... anything else?
>>
File: IMG_20170209_152256.jpg (90KB, 858x571px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_152256.jpg
90KB, 858x571px
I spent half an hour drawing a screenshot of a TV show. I finished most of the lines so I decided to try to color it. Now it looks like a fucking retarded child's drawing and if I try to color more it'll look even more stupid. Someone pls kill me
>>
File: purp.png (695KB, 1274x716px) Image search: [Google]
purp.png
695KB, 1274x716px
>>2853294
>>
>>2853294
Yeah, that's because your lines are shaky and you don't understand how to render with pencil very well. Always render along the form, in this case, walls. Typically vertical and stay the same direction. Also colors aren't even and therefore look like how children don't care for it being all sketchy. Also if you colored the whole thing, it would look a lot better. Lighting here is dark and that's important to the shot. It's to pull your eyes into the red door way and black figures.
>>
started using a wacom tablet a few days ago; any advice? Thanks in advance
>>
File: mex.png (814KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
mex.png
814KB, 1240x1754px
>>2853307
forgot to post drawing:
>>
File: 1481070657547.png (262KB, 700x573px) Image search: [Google]
1481070657547.png
262KB, 700x573px
>>2853269
You're on the right track, just fix the right lazy eye, fix the placement of the ear and redraw the nose (her left nostril isn't shown in the ref yet you drew it).
>>
>>2853307
Don't overthink the software you use. Don't overthink the brush either, it's just a tool, if you want to use one then use it and learn how it works. Also learn to get used to sampling, it gives you a mid tone between two strokes if you pick correctly. You need to get accurate at this or just zoom in. Zooming in is slow though, so just learn how to get it pixel right. Draw a lot with the tablet. It doesn't feel similar to any other tool. It's all slick and can do things that wouldn't normally be possible like painting huge strokes with a one sized pen? That's insane.
>>
File: IMG_20170209_160109.jpg (106KB, 824x496px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_160109.jpg
106KB, 824x496px
>>2853306
I tried
>>
>>2853368
You render too quickly and harsh. Take it slow and even the next time you do a piece. I can see the strokes which is typically a sign the artist was rushing through the process. Also the value isn't very dark, going even then layering on more color will allow for a darker color and more vividness in your drawings. A note for the future. There's no need to rush though, really. Even as a beginner, it took me a few hours to get finish a piece because you can't rush it or it'll show in the results. Taking it nice and slow will allow for a really nice piece.
>>
I need to made a makeshift drafting table or easel, any tips? Drawing flat is making my proportions all janked compared to before my easel broke.
>>
>>2853404
Just get used to it and fix your proportions? You say it like you can't ever draw again without an easel.
>>
>>2853409
But when I take my figure drawing classes on the weekends It's on an easel, I'm so used to it.
>>
>>2853410
It's alright, artists are adaptive, you can surely adapt to a flat surface until you get an easel again.
>>
>>2853412
My teacher kinda advised against it. I mean, he's said what you've said right now albeit paraphrased but he always said not to draw on a flat surface and so it's something I've avoided. Plus it hurts my back.

I know it's a lot of whining but it's just how I like to draw.
>>
File: Capture.png (509KB, 965x764px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
509KB, 965x764px
>>2850883

How do I boobs

How do I hands

I just wanted to draw muh animu girls
>>
>>2853450
Ideally you would have been told that boobs have weight and such and shouldn't be stiff at all. But since the ref is there this is something you should have analyzed on your own. Read keys to drawing and you'll be more acquainted with measurements and such (and will ween you off symbol drawing)

also, take your time for fuck's sake
>>
>>2853450
Do you even know what values are?
>>
>>2853455
Most beginners don't as evidence by their shit shading.
>>
>>2851236

I can see every reference picture you used in my head.
>>
File: FOR PETER'S SAKE.jpg (481KB, 712x960px) Image search: [Google]
FOR PETER'S SAKE.jpg
481KB, 712x960px
Today was the worst day in a long time; I deserve to be shot for slacking off like this
>>
>>2853467
Good to know that even on your worst day, you're still pretty good.
>>
>>2853470
Thank you
>>
>>2853454
>also, take your time for fuck's sake

It's hard to spend time being careful on something you know is going to be shit, isn't there something to be said for increasing the quantity of drawings that you do so you effectively get more practice at the basics?
>>
>>2853482
No, it's always quality over quantity. More time spent will equal a better result. This is why you need to take your time and be careful to make sure it doesn't become shit. Try your best or else you'll always be in a cycle of comfort zone. Also, basics? What are you? A kid? Try what you see, stop making up excuses for you being shit because you are shit.
>>
>>2853492
>Also, basics? What are you? A kid?

What I mean is surely there's no point in trying really, super hard to get the rendering and everything completely right when you are still learning accurate construction and details like where to actually put the lines.
>>
>>2853507
You would be wrong to believe that. That's called artificial limit. Some random standards you set on yourself that will do nothing but impede you. If you never try to render and get everything completely right, all you'll know is how to commit the same mistakes of how to see in line. It's a whole package for a reason. Bringing a drawing to a complete finish will teach you many things that you wouldn't otherwise have known if you always limit yourself. You may not think rendering is useful if the base is a tad faulty, but you'll learn about line and construction from rendering for you will actually understand form and how things behave in 3D space. In the end, you just seriously need to put in a lot more time.
>>
>>2853467
keep at it anon
>>
File: fukken.png (145KB, 627x653px) Image search: [Google]
fukken.png
145KB, 627x653px
>>2850877
fuck these lips, I'm out
>>
Hello
i cant find "10k hours" theme on this board...do you have it or not ?
>>
>>2853527
We do not have it.
>>
File: flower2.jpg (75KB, 475x861px) Image search: [Google]
flower2.jpg
75KB, 475x861px
How is this for a 4th year art student, major: illustration. (almost about to graduate)

I know this is the beginner's thread but I didn't see a general critique thread.
>>
>>2853532
Maybe do it ?
>>
>>2853534
That's the draw thread.
>>
>>2853534
there is a draw thread and a stylisation thread
>>
File: 1470061228760.jpg (174KB, 1000x963px) Image search: [Google]
1470061228760.jpg
174KB, 1000x963px
Should you focus on quantity (as in getting things done a lot of times to get the understanding of it down) or quality (as in finishing the pieces and taking great care when making them) in the beginning?
>>
>>2853560

Other anons have been arguing about that literally a few posts back

>>2853492
>>
>>2853577
kek i completely overlooked that. guess that answers it then.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 111

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.