[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So after the Great Fires of London in 1666, Thomas Hobbes'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: Thomas_Hobbes_(portrait).jpg (253KB, 1109x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Hobbes_(portrait).jpg
253KB, 1109x1169px
So after the Great Fires of London in 1666, Thomas Hobbes' atheism was cited in parliament as a probable cause. It was also debated whether to punish him for causing the fire, and his books were burned at Oxford. And at Cambridge and Oxford, any professors who showed support for Hobbes would lose their jobs.

Does anyone have other accounts of Christians being idiots and punishing atheists for no reason in history?
>>
Can you prove it didn't cause the fire? Yeah, that's what I thought fedora.
>>
File: Untitled.png (104KB, 1341x275px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
104KB, 1341x275px
Classic.
>>
>>569608
Go tell reddit we are biggots so you shitheads can find a new place to suck eachother off in. And take our religious posters with you.
>>
>>569597

Beliefs, on their own, have no casual efficacy. Ditto the inverse. I might not believe in gravitation, but if I step off the side of a building I will certainly fall to the ground. Likewise, Opie might believe he is a heterosexual male, but this does not keep him from taking ten dicks every night behind Sal's 'adult bookstore'.
>>
>>569633
You go tell reddit >:-L
>>
>>569585
His works were so fire their puny city couldn't handle it.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,t.u8.jpg (260KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.u8.jpg
260KB, 800x800px
>>569676
when you right a book so fire you burn down the city
>>
I wonder how many educated people at that time were Christian just for the sake of peer pressure and keeping their life easier, but secretly not giving 2 fucks about Christian traditions or teachings.
>>
>>569701
>le oppressed fedora meme
>>
File: 1451838879172.jpg (68KB, 651x546px) Image search: [Google]
1451838879172.jpg
68KB, 651x546px
>>569721
He never said he's oppressed
>>
>>569701
Most of them. No one who's smart is REALLY Christian (as in following all the doctrines and believing everything), at most they will like some aspects and ignore the idiocies, or just pretend because they believe religion is necessary.
>>
>>569721
Just because you keep using the word "fedora". Doesn't mean your sentence had any meaning in it.
You really believe being non-believer wouldn't have made you outsider in most circles of pre-enlightenment era europe?
>>
>>569721
>le christians dindu nuffin meme
>>
Hobbes wasn't an atheist, he was proclaimed as such, as was anyone who opposed contemporary dogmas.
Hobbes actually argued for determinism - that God was the first cause of everyting, even human whims, thus denying the idea of a true free will. Negating free will negates much of theology, so that was certainly a problem.
>>
>>569729
Yes, most of them WERE Christians, it was nonsensical not to believe in God as uncaused cause was the basis of all science and explanation of the world up to the 20th century. Do I have to mention Newton and the like? Of course I have, you people know jack shit about history.
>>
>>569997
>Although born into an Anglican family, by his thirties Newton held a Christian faith that, had it been made public, would not have been considered orthodox by mainstream Christianity;[112] in recent times he has been described as a heretic.
>>
File: science religion.png (282KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
science religion.png
282KB, 1000x670px
>>569729
Thanks to hard working, devout monks and Muslim scholars, autists like you can shitpost on an Indonesian surfing forum.
>>
File: Forfucksakeguys.jpg (7KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
Forfucksakeguys.jpg
7KB, 250x237px
Had a quick look and it looks like the US is fucking insane, it's basically Saudi Arabia with Mexicans. Look at this shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists#United_States

These laws are insane, I can't wrap my head around this shit.

>Arkansas:
>Article 19, Section 1
>"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."

>Texas:
>Article 1, Section 4
>"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

I'm speechless. It's shit like this I'm expected when looking up laws in Afghanistan and Congo. No wonder you have militant atheists in the US.

What the fuck America.
>>
>>570055

Are you really surprised? America is a meme country
>>
>>569701

Probably not as many as you'd think.

Isaac Newton thought alchemy was possible. Even the scientists back then were only smart in their particular fields. They didnt have le blue dot man to tell them otherwise.
There was no reason to think Christianity wasn't correct.
>>
>>570055
I don't think any of these laws are actually enforceable.

Like all the sodomy laws that the Supreme Court nullified.

But yeah, Fundamentalist Christianity is a plague on our Republic, one which will hopefully be purged by Mexicans and all the boomers dying.
>>
>>569727

The tipping meme is just to let you know you're an insufferable cunt who bases part of his identity around the fact that he can make a book where a snake talks seem ridiculous.

Atheism is a Religion for retards who want to feel smart.
>>
>>570055
Those are batshit state laws that violate the First Amendment and the religious test clause of the Constitution.

Had the south seceded, it would either be Saudi Arabia or annexed by Mexico.
>>
>>570055

Those are just laws that are on the books still. They don't actually have any power. Frankly the fact that you thought otherwise makes me think maybe you aren't as smart as you like to believe.
>>
>>570055
Oh hold your horses and easy on the indignation.
Those laws are century old state laws that would be shut down in an instant by the Supreme Court for being unconstitutional.
So atheists, if you hear me, and any of you are from those 2 states with those laws, please run for office so we can get this shit done with and i can finally stop hearing the retarded "i'm opressed by law as a second rate citizen for being an atheist".
Wanna see more ridiculous crap like that?
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/weird-state-laws
>>
Leviathan was a great book, a must read.
>>
File: 1444862179139.jpg (87KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
1444862179139.jpg
87KB, 640x633px
>>570078
>Fundamentalist Christianity is a plague on our Republic, one which will hopefully be purged by Mexicans and all the boomers dying.

>My country turning into another Latin American corrupt, violent shithole is alright, as long as those fucking fundies disappear
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-17-17-29-32.png (233KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-17-17-29-32.png
233KB, 720x1280px
>>570116
I agree.
>>
>>570016

Yes, because he was such a frothing, borderline insane fanatic. His religious views were far more extreme than the mainstream church.
>>
>>569635
I think it may have been irony.
>>
>>570148
It is.

It'll be a painful process, but I legitimately hate the GOP that much.
>>
>>570459
>SJW's read anything: the post
>>
>>570090
Right, this is 4chan, but please don't shitpost on /his/
>>>/pol/
>>
>>569729

There are a lot of smart religious people.
>>
>punishing atheists for no reason
>no reason
>causing the great fires of London
>no reason
atheists pls go
>>
>>569727
its not that mocking atheists defeats their arguments. Its that we dont' give a fuck to 'debate' the faggots online and would rather mock them for being so arrogant.
>>
>>570090
Atheism =/= religion
>>
>>571454
So you admit that you're a shitposter? Well at least one Christian admits it.
>>
>>571454
Christians are easily the most butthurt demographic on the internet
>>
>>569585
So after the Great fire of Rome in 64 AD Nero trying to find a cause to the fire blamed the Christians for the fire and their faith persecuted, any people who showed support for the Christians would lose their lives or be punished sevirely

Does anyone have other accounts of Pagans being idiots and punishing Christians for no reason in history?
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>570459
>If I met Hobbes in the street I would flash him my tits and then slap him in the face and call him a pervert.
>>
>>569585
He seems quite religious in Leviathan.
>>
File: 1445693226355.png (631KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1445693226355.png
631KB, 666x666px
>>570459
>Hobbes
>Arguments based entirely on Christian Perspective

Holy shit. He was a modern atheist. Of course he wasn't going to be sperging about "hurr, god doesn't exist" but he states CLEARLY is the book that you shouldn't trust those who "talk to God or claim to understand Him"
What the fuck is that girl even saying? Please tell me she's a highschooler and haven't read the book and is merely pretending, at least I can understand if that is the case. What I can't understand is someone who have read the book and still come up with this kind of heresy I am reading.
>>
>>572243
Considering the book is based on a character in the book of Job.

There's no way Hobbes was an 'atheist', he simply decried the influence of divine authority in government. I mean jesus christ, the third part of the book itself was essentially a treatise on a Christian 'commonwealth'
>>
>>572243
Not "quite religious" I would say. I don't think his context, even the intelectual one, would allow him to stray very far from religion but he goes very far to stablish that you shouldn't fully trust the spiritual authorities.
All in all, I think the conclusion to Leviathan is that there's a clear relation with protection and obedience and who grants protection can demand obedience. That conclusion excludes any religious claim from power since the condition for sovereignty is material and not spiritual.
>>
>>569585
[citation needed]
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.