[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was slavery taught in Reconstruction and segregated schools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

How was slavery taught in Reconstruction and segregated schools in the South? Was it just ignored? They teach it is a necessary evil, or as a facet of their culture taken away from them?
>>
>>552402
>Truth
Is this some meme i dont understand?
>>
>>552413
It's bourgeois liberalism.
>>
>>552402
Do you mean you personally were taught that?
I was asking about 1865-1965 more or less.
>>
>>552450

Oh, yeah that is what I meant. I'm not entirely sure how it was taught then, but I would imagine it to be somewhat like de-Nazification or something. I could be completely wrong though since no one really cared about slavery or darkies back then.
>>
>>552402
The fuck
>>
>>552402
Not untrue, but there were plenty of masters who treated their slaves horribly and many southerners honestly thought black people were incapable of surviving on their own because they were stupid, violent, lesser beings and treated them as such. So while they probably weren't being constantly beaten to near-death by their masters, slaves had little respect and no rights, and their entire destiny was decided by the people who owned them. That's what I learned in school, at least, at my public school in Texas.
>>
>>552545
>and many southerners honestly thought black people were incapable of surviving on their own because they were stupid, violent, lesser beings

Well looking at the histories they weren't all that wrong, were they? Putting aside muh IQ gap and the other /pol/-tier arguments, I think there's something to be said for the idea that blacks as a cultural unit still have a hell of a lot of Africa in them, consciously or otherwise, much like many white 'Murricans still have a streak of puritanism largely vanished from the rest of the world. Tradition and culture are often very subtle things that propagate in ways that defy quantification and unless there's a very sharp and deliberate break with that culture (self-imposed or otherwise) it's going to be passed on to one's progeny whether you know it or not. To put it more succinctly and crudely, what I'm essentially getting at is "you can take the nigger out of Africa, but you can't take the Africa out of the nigger". However, I also feel that group identity plays into this so even if you had a white kid adopted into a black family and that kid grew up to be the biggest wigger of all time he would still have a solid chunk of whiteness in his psyche just by feeling an instinctive kinship with people who look like him either IRL or in media or literature.

And in good faith to the thread I'm going to avoid the more explicitly genetic and metaphysical aspects of my opinions but they're largely modified versions of the phrase in quotations above.
>>
>>552402
they were still slaves tho.
>>
>>552843

Just say it's genetics moron. Muh "subtle culture" is an overcomplicated terrible unempirical and therefore untestable idea.
>>
*untestable and therefore unempirical sorry
>>
>>552879
>unempirical and therefore untestable idea.

Since when is this /sci/?
>>
My mother was raised across the field from her families plantation they were enslaved on. She and her people descend from several families that includes the slave owner and overseerers who raped our teenage ancestors and forced multiple births with many being sold off as "fancy slaves" young girls many still children who were sold off as sex play things.

When I came out as gay my great-grandfather slapped me and asked what White man touched me, it took me some time to understand but I finally got a sibling of his to tell me his grandfather was molested by his slave owning father.

The whippings, the rapes, the molestation, the selling of families and the psychological terrorism. The terror placed on free blacks and freed blacks.

People don't know the terrors, they look at slavery as merely economical "Slaves weren't treated badly because they had to make money" but the actual lives of enslaved people is horrid from womb to tomb from the pulpit and preacher to the teacher.

It was a horror. My mother went to segregated schools, they didn't actively talk about it because all the black teachers knew the horrid just as her. When desegregation accord it was spoken of like this great thing that Christianized and taught the "savage african" she wasn't taught this in white schools but also recognized no one who wasn't Black would because the truth of their families was too much for them.
>>
>>553291
Yeah dude, being a slave sucks, always has.
>>
>>553291
I'm not going to correct much in what you write because it's pretty damn well written.

>When desegregation accord
occurred is the standard spelling, to avoid confusion with "accord" a friendship or agreement.

>from womb to tomb from the pulpit and preacher to the teacher.
Or in the worst of days, without pulpit, without preacher, without teacher, except by night.
>>
>>553384
I'm typing on my phone but yeah occurred

Almost single plantation had a sermon on Sundays at worst the master was the preacher who taught the Bible wanted submission and at best an older slave would preach submission but also through submission one could reach paradise.

To not do anything was a major taboo in the south

My mentioning teaching was mostly talking about reconstruction.
>>
>>553406

Man. Protestants sure are dumb.
>>
>>552843
You were supposed to put pol aside. Thats caused by socioeconomics, as anybody that isnt completel retarded knew back in 2008.
>>
>>553417
Catholics did the same and so did the relatively few Jewish slave owners who allowed Christian worship.

You have to remember a major excuse for slavery was bringing "the word".
>>
>>553291
>hey dad, im discontinuing our lineage
Why do people come out at all? Im just going to show up at a holiday with an adopted girl that looks like me and tell them i won custudy against some third world whore i knocked up.
>>
File: 1331915427103.jpg (14KB, 354x352px) Image search: [Google]
1331915427103.jpg
14KB, 354x352px
>>552843
>Putting aside muh IQ gap and the other /pol/-tier arguments,
>"you can take the nigger out of Africa, but you can't take the Africa out of the nigger"
>>
>>552402
>Slaves were not often treated like shit because slaves were a big investment and you wanted to get your money's worth, so beating them and putting them out of their work for days or weeks was retarded and simply not done unless someone was fucking sadistic.
Partially true. There are other factors to consider:
After Brits decided to force the world to abolish slavery, black slaves became pretty cheap, which made their treatment worse in regions that still had slaves.
People don't always do things in their own best interest. Other than emotional factors like fear, people who simply inherited a farm from a relative could end up abusing slaves out of sheer ignorance.
>>
>>552402
You fucked up in the head bruh
>>
>>553439
"Socioeconomics" is an umbrella term of effectively infinite diameter.

>>553471
Did you read the rest of my post, sempai? Context is important.
>>
Idk op clearly slavery had to be enforced by severe violence
It probably wasn't as fair as you portrayed it.
>>
>>552371

anyone got book recommendations for the reconstruction era
>>
>>553291
This is my post of the month.
>>
>implying slaves of what would become the united states weren't the best treated slaves in all of the Americas
This is history 101.
Caribbean and all other South American slaves were imported in the millions for this very reason. Because they were forced to work while sick and maimed, and the stress of the slave driving and pace of the work was too much for women to then be able to reproduce.
If you treat your slaves like shit, they're not going to reproduce, and you're not going to be able to sustain your slave population if that's the case.
The slaves of what would become North America where only able to be sustained because of the conditions they lived in, which for European-owned slaves of the Americas, was relatively good.
>>
>>552879
I don't see how the American ghetto culture that really only targets black people can't be the major source of holding them back. The Asians, who were much more prejudiced against when they first came to America, became relatively respected and climbed out of poverty within a couple of generations due to them having a hard working culture. It seems to me that the culture you follow greatly influences your position in society.
>>
>>552402
>implying you cannot do awful atrocious things to slaves that won't deprecate their value
Seriously that's the crux of your argument and it's fucking idiotic.
>>
>>553740
>implying slaves of what would become the united states weren't the best treated slaves in all of the Americas

Canada
>>
>>553770
>Canada
>slaves
nigga that shit barely counts
>>
>>553689
It had lots of variance. You go from whipping and spike collars, to treating them like amily and breeding them. Generally it was both, but the lack of rights is revolt worthy on its own
>>
>>553747
Asians? Chinese faced xenophobia but generally speaking the majority of Chinese people came to the United States after the Chinese exclusion act.

The Chinese in my part of state for the most part assimilated into Native American tribes after they faced white aggression and pushed from the gold rush towns but demographically there weren't that many.

The very essence of "ghetto culture" which really is varied and quiet beautiful stems from the Great Migration followed by the end of desegregation de jure and de facto followed by the infiltration of drugs in the post-Vietnam era along side the moving of industry into the suburbs and overseas.

Manufacturing and government jobs were the basis of the black economic upliftment other groups weren't tied to such fluctuating fields.
>>553740
This is extremely simplified and not all that correct
>>553793
Breeding them isn't treating then like family
>>
>>553779
>nigga that shit barely counts
You made an absolute. The free Black Britons of Canada want a word with you about having been the best treated slaves in all of the Americas.
>>
>>553816
The Black enslaved population left en masse to Sierra Leone because of their treatment.

The freed population was heavily discriminated against in Nova Scotia.
>>
>>553816
>You made an absolute.
about relevant slaves used in large numbers
>>
>>552402
This Tbh pham.

Slaves were treated pretty well throughout all of history especially since they were usually owned by rich people.
>>
>>553740
>mistreated
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_Burgos
>>
>>553835
>about relevant slaves used in large numbers
Well that rules the US out because they didn't run genocidal murder sugar camps with a required replacement rate measured in the 100s of percents.
>>
>>553848
Hey that's a cute fantasy article that had no bearing on the reality of African slaves in the colonial Caribbean.
>>
>>553865
>Well that rules the US
Nah. Rules of Canada though.
>>
>>553866
>Fantasy article
Really? It literally lists that native slaves couldn't be mistreated as they were prior to the laws.

Go eat shit at a black lives matters protest amerifat.
>>
>>553885
>Really? It literally lists that native slaves couldn't be mistreated as they were prior to the laws.
Are you actually this retarded? Do you have any idea what the conditions of slavery were in the Caribbean? You think some old law like that made any difference to how the slaves were driven?

>Go eat shit at a black lives matters protest amerifat.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>553899
>Caribbean and all other SOUTH AMERICAN SLAVES

Yes I do, as I was born in a country that borders the Carribean. Yes, slaves were mistreated but these laws were set up to reduce the abuse of the slaves.

Go sip on your semen from your armchair.
>>
>>553848
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_Burgos#Results
lol
why did you even post this?
>>
File: 1415117774875.jpg (92KB, 605x491px) Image search: [Google]
1415117774875.jpg
92KB, 605x491px
>>553916
>Yes, slaves were mistreated but these laws were set up to reduce the abuse of the slaves.
Which didn't actually work. Hence the replacement rates/death rates, vulnerability to diseases, and consistent use of maiming as a means of punishment and continued forced labor after such punishment.

>Go sip on your semen from your armchair.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>553934
>which didn't work
Due to disloyal owners of plantations and land, which was nothing new as there was always strained relations between New World colonizers and la madre patria (example: Aguirre).
>vulnerability to diseases
Diseases that Europeans/Arabs/blacks were resistant to because they weren't isolated like the natives of the americas.
>consistent use of maiming
That was more of an Anglo-American and Belgian (in the Congo) thing. The only noteworthy time the Spanish practiced maiming was to rebellions/against natives during times of conquest, like during in Chile.
>continued forced labor
Laws of Burgos weren't meant to outlaw slavery, although Spain had outlawed the purchase of Christian slaves, instead having Britain sell them slaves, around the time that Cuba was captured by them which was also around the time that native numbers were dwindling.
>>
>>553979
>Due to disloyal owners of plantations and land, which was nothing new as there was always strained relations between New World colonizers and la madre patria (example: Aguirre).
Exactly. Plantation owners just wanted to meet their quota with brute force.

>Diseases that Europeans/Arabs/blacks were resistant to because they weren't isolated like the natives of the americas.
Actually there were diseases blacks weren't resistant to especially under the stress of abusive slavery, which inhibited the spread of such disease.

>That was more of an Anglo-American and Belgian (in the Congo) thing.
It was also fairly common practice for Caribbean slave owners too, with severing of the hand being one such punishment, and being dead weight otherwise, those who suffered such punishment were still forced to work.
>>
File: 1282569514343.jpg (92KB, 600x431px) Image search: [Google]
1282569514343.jpg
92KB, 600x431px
>>552402
>Here in the American south we were taught the actual truth. Slaves were not often treated like shit
>>
>>554114
Well, shit's valuable. As Mao Zedong said, you can feed shit to a dog, and you can fertilise fields with dog shit.
>>
>>552402
>>552456
Revisionism: the anon
>>
>>553858
Seriously kill yourself. No half measures.
>>
>>553291
Your grandfather is over a century and a half old?
>>
>>554205
great-great-great-grandfather = 5 generations x 30 = 150
2015 - 150 = 1865
>>
>>552843
>Tradition and culture are often very subtle things that propagate in ways that defy quantification and unless there's a very sharp and deliberate break with that culture (self-imposed or otherwise) it's going to be passed on to one's progeny whether you know it or not.

Hm. Would you consider a century of systematic social engineering aimed at suppressing the urge to rebellion to be a sharp and deliberate break with their original culture? How many churches dedicated to West African religions could you find in the US circa 1915? How many black Americans routinely spoke African languages in the US circa 1915? How many times do you see signs written in African languages in pictures of the US in the 20th century?

>>553747
Generalizing like fuck here, but Asian immigrants arrived voluntarily, with the intent of turning a profit or making a better life. If I send you to Russia tomorrow morning with nothing but the shirt on your back, you're going to have a hard time making a living. If, however, you save up to go to Russia to start a business, you will bring the tools you need to do your business. The business might still flop, but you've got a much better chance. And if you want to go to Russia to start a business, but you're a dumbass who can't save money no matter what, you'll probably never wind up actually getting the ticket and so the Russians won't *notice* your failure.

(I'm also going to raise an eyebrow about 'relatively respected' in a couple generations. We threw a bunch of 'em in internment camps a couple generations after they arrived, remember?)
>>
>>552402
haha 9/10 breddy guud
>>
File: mfw.jpg (13KB, 492x251px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
13KB, 492x251px
>>553858
I come from a long line of sex slaves who were selected for their "exoticness" at various markets. Ephebephiles and pedophiles of some means were really fucking rampant, incest with their progeny was not unknown really when you get into the history it's really fucking disgusting.

Fulani women (which is where the east African comes in), Malagasy women (which is where the Oceania ancestry comes from) and some black Indians for good measure.

Feels weird desu, they really were groomed from like childhood and lived really depressing lives, that's why I can never understand why people act as though slave owners were benevolent.

You can abuse and torture people without the whip; you can sell off children and starve elders or worse.
>>554229
Thanks
>>
>>554122
And you quote a guy who didn't mind killing his own people in order to meet exportation quotas. So much for people being valuable.
>>
>>554457
>Asian immigrants arrived voluntarily
Most of them were debt slaves.
>>
>>554899
They voluntarily put themselves in debt for the price of the ticket, they were not coolies in the US.
>>
>>552843
Africa hasn't been part of African American culture for a long time mate. The thing you are referring to is basically the culture of the poor. Even rich African Americans inherit some culture from their poor ancestors
>>
>>554904
>They voluntarily put themselves in debt for the price of the ticket, they were not coolies in the US.

No. The railroad labour were debt slaves in China, bought and shipped to the US as slaves.

The whores were debt slaves in China, bought and shipped to the US as slaves.

Learn your chinkidink history
>>
>>557444
Incorrect there is not enough evidence to state your claim.
>>
>>554457
The excuses that people on /his/ makes when it comes to the idea that certain ethnic groups are genetically less intelligent is astounding. Yet it is such an elegant explanation don't you think?

>>553655

Even people who agree with me think they can just toss out IQ science and behavioral genetics study just because they are /pol/ tier arguments. Pathetic.
>>
>>557558
>Incorrect there is not enough evidence to state your claim.
There's enough evidence to state it for Chinese labour in Australia. I think your US historians are just lazy.
>>
>>557669
No there is no conclusive proof, you're nation blackbirded Melanesians but we never did. Not the same history.
>>
>>557737
>you're
The Chinks themselves structured debt slavery mate. 19th century China. That's the constant. That's where the debt slavery came from.
>>
>>557807
Didn't occur in the US given the evidence so unless you can find information historians themselves couldn't by all means show it :-)
>>
>>553733
"A made up story the reinforces my previously held beliefs is awsome!"
It's like I'm really on /pol/
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.