[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prostitution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1445171542493.gif (434KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
1445171542493.gif
434KB, 500x331px
Lets have a discussion about prostitution.

How long has it existed? Who started with it?

Did the Churches approve of it? Why is it now illegal, and what has changed?

Keep it civil pls.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>526599
>Lets have a discussion about prostitution.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>526609
How is this politics?
>>
>>526609
>humanities
>>
>>526614
"Let's have a discussion."

Why don't you fucking read before posting.
>>
>>526612
sorry kid this board is for 'the best warrior in history' threads only
>>
File: stone age woman ride on dinosaur.jpg (845KB, 910x1241px) Image search: [Google]
stone age woman ride on dinosaur.jpg
845KB, 910x1241px
>>526599
>How long has it existed? Who started with it?
A some holy Woman did it, many bachelors are thankful for Her.
>>
I am monitoring this thread. Based anons, pls provide sexy sexy details.
>>
>>526641
Same here, I know very little about prostitution outside of people claiming it's the world's oldest profession.
>>
>>526663
It's not older than hunting-gathering, that's for sure.
>>
Of course the church approved of it, and does it now. It's been one of the jobs throughout history, that, while publicly decried, had great importance to any community and everyone knew it. Along with things like the gravedigger, the tanner etc.

Feminism started the real trend towards banning/prohibiting Prostitution.
>>
>>526673
>and does it now

It does? Aren't most Churches fond supporters of the nuclear family, and that you shouldn't have sex before marriage?
>>
>>526616
What? just pointing out to the /pol/ memers that this is one topic for the board.

Ok discussion then, does anybody know how the legality of prostitution by country is related to the religious/secularity of the country, I'm Australian, and I know it's legal here and in NZ in brothels, doesn't seem to be a big deal really.

>>526616
How about you fucking read before posting and start some discussion instead of being a fucking cunt and quoting shit at me you faggot.
>>
>>526599
I remember it was either Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine that argued that Ho's are better as they detract from the greater sins of masturbation, adultery, and rape.
>>
>>526709
St. Augustine
>"Suppress prostitution, and capricious lusts will overthrow society."

Also St. Augustine was still pretty Roman enough to be chill with it. The latter Medieval cunts like Aquinas aren't.
>>
>>526688
Augustine and Aquinas both said fornication is bad, but prostitution is healthier for a society than the alternative. Abolishing prostitution was compared to abolishing sewers.
>>
>>526689
Or you could fucking know that Rae Frances published some major works on it.

Nah, reading was too hard.
>>
>>526712
No, Aquinas is okay with it. He was the one who made the remark about the sewer "Prostitution is like a sewer in a palace. Take away the sewer and you will fill the palace with pollution."
>>
>>526719
Why not tl:dr the points the Rae Frances makes for the sake of discussion?

I'm a STEMfag, not that fussed over this topic, but i'd like to keep the integrity of the board and minimise the amount of unnecessary >>/pol/'ing you salty cunt.

If you think that prostitution should be legal what degree of regulation do you think should attempt to be implemented and how? obviously complete control of an industry such as this will be impossibly whether it's legal or not, in a similar sense to the drug trade. does the de-criminalisation of drug use in Portugal and the success they have had with reducing the number of addicts have any parallels with legalising controlled prostitution?
>>
>>526729
me

>>526641
>>526663
This should interest you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_prostitution

>According to the 5th-century BC historian Herodotus
>The foulest Babylonian custom is that which compels every woman of the land to sit in the temple of Aphrodite and have intercourse with some stranger at least once in her life. Many women who are rich and proud and disdain to mingle with the rest, drive to the temple in covered carriages drawn by teams, and stand there with a great retinue of attendants. But most sit down in the sacred plot of Aphrodite, with crowns of cord on their heads; there is a great multitude of women coming and going; passages marked by line run every way through the crowd, by which the men pass and make their choice. Once a woman has taken her place there, she does not go away to her home before some stranger has cast money into her lap, and had intercourse with her outside the temple; but while he casts the money, he must say, “I invite you in the name of Mylitta” (that is the Assyrian name for Aphrodite). It does not matter what sum the money is; the woman will never refuse, for that would be a sin, the money being by this act made sacred. So she follows the first man who casts it and rejects no one. After their intercourse, having discharged her sacred duty to the goddess, she goes away to her home; and thereafter there is no bribe however great that will get her. So then the women that are fair and tall are soon free to depart, but the uncomely have long to wait because they cannot fulfil the law; for some of them remain for three years, or four. There is a custom like this in some parts of Cyprus.

sorry for not keeping it civil OP
>>
>>526768
Noice source mang.

ty for bothering
>>
>>526729
>If you think that prostitution should be legal
History doesn't deal with shoulds. You want >>>/pol/ as I originally said.
>>
>>526843
Yea not going to get triggered, go be pedantic somewhere else
>>
>>526852
Our discipline maintains itself, not through some claim to produce bridges, but through policing with vile brutality the claims of shoulds oughts and why nots. We have deliberately depoliticised our discipline at this level to avoid the executions levelled at shoulders and oughters and why notters. And we do not answer your questions phrased as they are because execution is what happens to people who once thought themselves historians who venture an opinion about what politicians should do.

Frances answers about a society was where prostitution was legal and broadly tolerated but detested. This is our agreement.

You fucks build bridges.

We say what the past was as it essentially was and leave shoulds to the people who murder.

You have your answer, now fuck off to >>>/pol/ where they are pleased to be soaked to the upper ears in blood.
>>
>>526858
Yea, but the humanities or philosophical side would be more relevant to my statement rather than historical.

How about, how do various societal measures related to the topic of prostitution shift when different forms of control or freedom are utilised?

also i'm just discussing it, personally I would never visit a prostitute, but i'm not applying should's or should not's, except in the mistaken phrasing i used resulting from me pulling the question out of my arse on the spot.
>>
>>526599

Researchers have seen monkeys trade sex for food. It seems to just be base nature, no one really "started" it.
>>
>>526858
Also can't you see that my 'should' was used as a hypothetical example, and I actually think your response is barely related to what I actually posted, do you think an open discussion about the topic of prostitution without a censoring of viewpoints should be permitted? if not then you know were to go

>>>tumblr
>>
>>526872
>How about, how do various societal measures related to the topic of prostitution shift when different forms of control or freedom are utilised?

A pissweak socsci formulation which doesn't belong here.

>also i'm just discussing it
Random discussions belong on >>>/b/

>>526936
Sloppy language builds sloppy history. Sloppy maths builds sloppy bridges.

I'm not going to cross your sloppy language.

Open discussions belong on >>>/b/ fuck off to there.
>>
>>526948
What actually is your problem, I stated that i've got a STEM background, sorry for not being familiar with your preferred terminology, if you can't understand the point I was trying to communicate then I really am not bothered.

fuck off with the >>>/b/ shit though, it was perfectly on topic, just potentially not a refined or nuanced a view as someone who studies the topic, but I didn't know discussion was exclusively restricted to experts, on a fucking paleolithic cave art fireside discussion forum.
>>
>>526948
OP says
>Lets have a discussion about prostitution.

>also i'm just discussing it
Random discussions belong on >>>/b/

Whilst your just an elitist faggot
>>
>>526975
>Whilst your[sic] just an elitist faggot
Thank you for the compliment.

>>526968
I have this bridge I want to build. You can test it.
>>
>>526599

Prostitution has literally existed before humanity. Chimpanzees and other apes, if introduced to the concept of exchange, will start trading sexual favors for fruit or other things they want.
>>
File: Rand Paul.jpg (24KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
Rand Paul.jpg
24KB, 700x394px
>>527066

So that's how you get a chimp to fuck you...
>>
>>526968
For a STEMfag, you aren't that smart. Quit replying to bait.
>>
>>526729
Obviously you need prostitution licenses, at the very least.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.