[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 39

File: Brian Fox.png (1023KB, 767x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Brian Fox.png
1023KB, 767x1024px
Previous thread: >>60806234

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
Richard Stallman is a Communist
>>
Repost from previous thread.

What fonts do you guys install on a fresh Arch installation for maximum Unicode support?
>>
Richard Stallman is a computer
>>
Richard Stallman is a cute
>>
>>60815161
unicode fonts
>>
>>60815161
>on a fresh Arch installation
>>
Is there any reason why I shouldn't install the Whisker menu and Linux Mint software center on a non-Xfce, non-Linux Mint distro?
>>
Is there any reason why I should install the Whisker menu and Linux Mint software center on a non-Xfce, non-Linux Mint distro?
>>
>>60815206
>>60815227
yes
>>
Imagine being at computers
>>
>>60815242
botnet
>>
File: 1496963801.png (474KB, 1091x1051px) Image search: [Google]
1496963801.png
474KB, 1091x1051px
>>60815161
noto
>>
>>60815161
>third world languages
>>
>>60815405
>>60815366
>he posted it, twice!
>>
>>60815428
I sure did
>>
long time debian faggot here, so i installed arch in a vm yesterday and here is my review, you can skip to the last sentence if you have adhd it sums up everything

Name:
Dunno why they call it Arch Linux and not Arch GNU/Linux, dunno why they call it Arch at all cause it almost looks like and it really does sound like ASS (Arsch) in my language.

Installation:
Could have taken 20 minutes (even without no install script - which is fine but this also makes it very clear that Arch does not aim to be a productive system, it's a system for learning how GNU/Linux works, and where you can not expect for something to work out of the box.)

So my complete installation took 2 hours since I decided I'd go with lvm and didn't know Arch does not configure anything by itself (it seems). I had some problems with setting up grub (arguably my fault for being rusty while setting up the boot partition and not reading up on it). Turns out I needed to configure grub and initramfs with lvm support and I didn't know I had to do it myself and I've never done it before.
Fair enough, after having done it once I'll remember it, plus I think I have more of an idea how to fix a problem I've been having on an old Debian laptop running lvm since it updated to systemd.

Package manager:
Pacman is super neat, super fast and has everything I wanted. Noice.

Conclusion:
Would waste my time again.
>>
>>60815161
Fira mono
>>
>>60815099
Asked in /dpt/, but those guys are retarded:
How does Linux decide what core to bind a thread/process to? I've read a few articles on CFS, but none of them mention that. Is that handled somewhere else? I know you can manually set the CPU affinity, but what if you don't?
>>
>>60815897
maybe the kernel cpu scheduler?
>>
So, just trying to wrap my head around this Electron faggotry

Your app is actually a web application with a backend ran on a self contained NodeJS server and a frontend ran on some sort of specialized web browser? Am I in the ball park?

Is this the future of software development now?
>>
>tfw pacman broke
>on fucking Manjaro
>Have lots of homework and work to do
Alright I'm officially off the Arch train.

What distro do you guys actually use? Need to change.
>>
>>60815982
Install Devuan, son.
>>
>>60815982
Just use mint or fedora bro, stop it with that meme tryhard shit.
>>
>>60815999
>suggesting the two literal worst distros
what is wrong with you, is 9gag down?
>>
>>60815931
That's what CFS is, unless I'm utterly lost in terminology. I just want to find out how the decision is made of what CPU to use, not how it manages the time allocated to each process or any other stuff it handles.
>>
>>60816007
The worst distro is Arch, followed closely by Gentoo. Anything that requires you putting time in doing what your computer should be doing for you is a waste of time and is degrading for a human being.
>>
>>60815559
>Would waste my time again.

After a dozen or so installs on different machines, you'll eventually just say "Ah fuck this" and use Antergos.
>>
>>60815999
>meme tryhard
Once you wrap your head on distros beyond entry level and try stuff like Debian, Arch, Gentoo, you will know what you were missing the whole time; actual GNU/Linux, not some Windows knockoff for the poor.
>>
>>60816014
i think that decision is made by the scheduling algorithm, and to change that you probably have to write your own algorithm and recompile the kernel
>>
>>60816014
I'm pretty sure CFS also decides what core to use.
>>
>>60816039
users shouldn't need to use the commandline for daily computer use
>>
>>60816065
t. opinion
>>
>>60816026
I know jerking off is degrading but your computer shouldn't be in charge of that.
>>
>>60815982
Alright kiddo, just tell us the symptoms so we can fix your fuck-up.
>>
>>60816049
>>60816057
I don't need to change it, I just need to know how it happens. I am mostly interested in the possibility of it having a preference for lower-numbered CPU's.
>>
Gents, mpsyt is so fucking cool. Found it a month ago and still have fun with it. Please try it. You fire it up, run //outrun, get one billion of playlists, hit *, tune in, start programming.
>>
>>60816104
And by "preference for lower-numbered CPUs" I mean this:
Let's say we have a dual socket motherboard where each physical CPU has 4 cores and 8 threads. Is it more likely that most of the work will be done on one particular cpu? On one particular physical core?
>>
>>60816104
If you want any specific modifications, I think you'll have to make your changes to the source code of the kernel itself and compile it and install your own custom kernel.
>>
>>60815099

Damn. Brian Fox is a hot daddy bear.
>>
>>60816142
>I don't need to change it
>If you want any specific modifications
I just want to know if there is a bias, and if there is, exploit it for my little project.
>>
>>60816098
>pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
I would like to experiment with kernel modules. Any suggestions what to read for creating a simple hello-world module?
>>
>>60816171
It doesn't have any bias, that's why it's called the Completely Fair Scheduler :^)

Not even memeing
>>
>>60816246
I feel its very unfair and neglects female cores
>>
>>60816196
Did you make any changes to your pacman.conf? Like maybe enable a testing repo?
>>
>>60816285
Nah, the only enabled repos are core, extra, community, multilib and archlinuxfr. It has bene like this since I installed Manjaro.
>>
>>60816196
>>60816285
>package manager
>makes you do all the management for it

archcucks are at it again
>>
tfw ian is dead and deb divorced him, this is why you shouldnt name things after 3d waifus
>>
>>60816246
4chan seems to have eaten my post, here is what I said:

Not to overstate my welcome, but could you provide a source? Or at least a few keywords I could type into google. I couldn't find any info on the subject and my little project might, or might not be undergrad research for uni, which would require
>>
>>60816354
To be fair Debian is the only distro with a name that doesn't sound retarded and a logo that doesn't look retarded.
>>
>>60816365
[...] would require a little more proof than a post on /g/.
>>
>>60816384 if your professors were any competent they would acknowledge /g/ as a reliable source
>>
Always listen to what /g/ says.
>>
>>60816365
>>60816384
>>60816399
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scheduler/sched-design-CFS.txt
>>
File: l33t.jpg (37KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
l33t.jpg
37KB, 236x300px
Alright, what's the deal /g/entoomen?

I used to use Gentoo and just today I installed NixOS on the same machine and now I get noticeably better performance in the new UT.

Did I just do a shitty job configuring my Gentoo kernel or something?
>>
test
>>
>>60816409
Read it, couldn't find anything relevant to what I was talking about.
>>
>>60816484
install gentoo
>>
>>60816491
Found my answer:
https://github.com/bdaehlie/linux-cpu-scheduler-docs/blob/master/linux_cpu_scheduler.pdf

Turns out it is completely fair. Thanks anons.
>>
>>60815982
>Manjaro breaks
>Blames Arch
Every fucking time
>>
>>60815161
symbola
>>
>>60816129
Is it better than youtube-viewer?
>>
aight lads I dug an old desktop out of my parents basement, i'm looking to install a distro on it to get some practice on. I have a bit of linux experience, but not much. I wanna learn the in's and out's but don't wanna jump straight into arch linux or some shit like that yet. Here are the specs:
>Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 (3 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
>1 GB RAM
>integrated graphics
>250 GB HDD
What can I run on it? It boots to Windows XP in like 90 seconds, to give you an idea of the speed. I was thinking maybe Lubuntu, but I dunno. I have yet to take a compiler, hardware, or operating systems class at my university yet, so I'd rather not go into compiling kernels and shit quite yet, but I'd like to get very familiar with the terminal
>>
>>60815982

Ubuntu LTS. If you are a little autist, Ubuntu server and then personalize your session manager/DE/WM and common applications. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 with Xfce4 (not Xubuntu). Runs perfect.
>>
>>60817733
Ubuntu is nice but why is the default DE and theme so fucking ugly? It's like they don't take pride in what they do.

Also, it has half-assed SysV backward compatibility. Is that a thing with only Ubuntu or is that from Debian?
>>
What the fuck are you guys doing, stop thinking about it.
>>
>>60817733
Yeah, I'm thinking on just going Ubuntu.
Everyone at the Faculty is using it and they never have stupid pacman problems.
>>
My new distro came with zsh. Should I throw it in the garbage and use bash?
>>
>>60818382
depends. do you prefer portability and intuitiveness, or do you prefer being a special snowflake hipster?
>>
>>60818453
Both sound pretty good
>>
>>60817506
Anything with xfce or lxde. I like debian.
>>
>>60816026
>I have autism!
>Stop deciding what is worth your time and what isn't!
>>
>>60816323
>doing a partial upgrade
you deserve this
>>
>>60817506
Archbang, Star, or Void
>>
is there a wm for wayland like openbox yet?
>>
>>60818894
sway
>>
>>60815099

> Be me
> Winblows 10 yes
> I could try out dis Linux meme once on vm
> Install Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Kali
> I liked Ubuntu the most
> I only game now on winblows
>>
>>60815099
Hey, y'all. I just downloaded
>>>/t/774006
I seem to be unable to open the zip in Archive Manager. Help?
>>
Why the fuck does apt take so long to finish after not having found a package to install
>>
>>60818382
arch comes with zsh and I like the way it is configured, when I installed it on my distro it was shit
>>
>>60815982
Devuan or Fedora Xfce.
>>
>>60818934
um how is that similar to openbox when it's tiling?
>>
Anyone know if there will be a Devuan Stretch?
>>
Jesus cock sucking mother fucking Christ how long do I have to fucking wait for those morons over at NVidia to release a driver that I can use in Wayland.

How many years has it been now? If I ever meet an NVidia employee on the street I'd just sock him right in the mouth.
Fuck this shit, next video card I buy is going to be AMD.
>>
why is it so fucking hard to find a decent linux laptop? I'm going to have to just buy a used chromebook that can run seabios at this point. WTF
>>
File: Everything_is_Terrible!.jpg (28KB, 300x204px) Image search: [Google]
Everything_is_Terrible!.jpg
28KB, 300x204px
>>60819556
>>60819605
>>
New Ubuntu user here. Why is it such an insufferable pain in the ass to install anything by hand? Fuck me, this is confusing as all hell.
>>
File: 2017-06-09-08:47:04.png (86KB, 1179x543px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-09-08:47:04.png
86KB, 1179x543px
@anarchist

The Arch forums are always hilarious.
>>
>>60819556

>have intel hardware
>it just works
>try wayland
>it's the smoothest thing i've ever seen

Holy shit I can't wait until there is finally a decent floating compositor (window manager in Xorg times) and until the protocol gets more extensions to offer all the features one expects currently from a desktop.
Shit's gonna be rad.
>>
>>60816323
>>60816196

>archlinux.fr

WHat a retard, but it was clear since you couldn't be bothered with checking forums where the problem has been described.
>>
>>60819668
What do you need to install by hand?
>>
I would like to buy a machine to use as a server.
Basically I'm gonna put a linux distribution, use it to backup my stuff with a FTP server so I can access my files when I want.
I also wanted to be able to stream music to my Android.
There are high chances that it's gonna be used for more things, so just on case I don't want something too slow.
What kind of hardware should I look at ?
>>
>>60819830
I'm getting a PC with no OS installed so I'm going to use Ubuntu on it, so I've been fiddling around with it on Live USB so that I have some idea how to use it when the PC arrives. I started with something simple, getting Doom to run on Ubuntu. I installed Zandronum rather easily (all I had to do was copypaste some script that downloaded & installed it for me automagically), but then I tried to download a mod manager/wad launcher for it and install it by hand and I'm completely lost.

It's called the SSG Launcher, and as you can see in the included screenshot, there is the tar.gz file and the files that I extracted from it, none of which I know what to do with. Am I missing something really simple here?
>>
>>60819909

It's explained on the website where you downloaded it. Ubuntu isn't Windows, so you can't expect to use it like it's Windows.
>>
>>60819871

Why do you think you need special hardware for that? The only reasonable thing to consider is power consumption, because it will be on all the time.
>>
>>60819556
>have 970
>nouveau doesn't work because it has no fucking clue what to do with the fake 4gb
>>
>>60819697
anyone named "anarchist" is bound to be a faggot
>>
>>60819974
My main concern is to not spend too much. While having something decent/good
>>
>>60819965
I realize that, anon. That's why I'm trying to learn how to use it.
>>
>>60819909
It's supposed to be a binary so you'd have to use a shell and execute it
>>
Help please i dont wanna mess up and lose my data
I posted before >>60814145
So I formated my primary partition to ntfs and inserted win7 setup mediium now my grub is fucked, will fixmbr remove my 2nd linux partition or it will still be avaiable and only gurb will go
>>
>>60820192

Windows overwrites the bootloader. Install Windows, then install GRUB again.
>>
So how often does this get posted?
https://youtu.be/3zpgQpdy_fI
>>
>>60820241

Only when you, the video's creator, post it.
>>
File: 971.gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
971.gif
613KB, 498x498px
>>60820112
Okay, I went into the file's properties and checked "Allow executing file as a program", and that seems to have put me on the correct path. Still isn't working, but it's better than no progress at all.

Now it's giving me this error:
./SSGL: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Tried googling it, looks like i need to install some gconf2 package or something?
Damn, it would have been nice if a README was included with this program.
>>
>>60820283
Yeah but that's some dude's project on git and they aren't always the best documented. You'd be better off with exploring what ubuntu's pacakge manager has to offer and play around with that.

Ubuntu has a graphical package manager called Synaptic and that's what you can easily install the gconf2 package with.
>>
File: 243564256.png (38KB, 200x223px) Image search: [Google]
243564256.png
38KB, 200x223px
>>60820266
say what you will, but I thought it was a genuinely helpful bit of advice for someone looking for a distro.
>>
File: 2017-06-09-10:05:36.png (44KB, 1002x675px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-09-10:05:36.png
44KB, 1002x675px
>>60820283

Install gconf2. Then open an issue on the bugtracker and ask for them to write down the dependencies.
>>
Is Slackware worth using or even trying in thecurrent year?
>>
>>60820423

That's a pointless question. You won't use it regardless of the answers you'll get. You're most likely asking so you can parrot that answer in future when someone else asks it so you can feel smart.
If you were interested in that, you'd read Slackware's website and see what its defining features are and then you'd compare it to your extensive Linux distribution knowledge which you seem to have, because you're apparently "advanced enough" for Slackware.
>>
>>60820423
you can do everything in a vm in the current year, if you are interested in it and have the time you should go for it
>>
>>60820440
wow rude
I am just asking because I don't see it being used usually and the last update was over a year ago but I know that it used to be very popular back in the day.
>>
>>60820340
>>60820392
AAAHAHAHAA FUCK YES IT WORKS HOLY SHIT

Thanks for the help!

>>60820241
>>60820389
Yeah, I'm glad that it was posted. As someone just dipping their toes in the metaphorical waters of GNU/Linux, it was a pretty informative video. This vast world outside of the microcosm of Microsoft Windows is intriguing.
>>
>>60820241
what the fuck are the gaps in i3 gaps for

>use a tiling wm, one of whichs main points is maximizing the usage of the whole screen
>let's get some fucking GAPS in here

???
>>
>>60820574

For showing off. The thought-process behind the whole generic setup is so pathetic that it's not even worth explaining or talking about.
>>
can you add activities view from gnome to kde?
>>
>>60821068
Yes. Left-click on the launcher button, go to Alternative whatnot (the one with the yellow star) and change to whatever view you like.
>>
File: rms.jpg (258KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
258KB, 800x1200px
>>
the people who claim Arch is difficult to install never tried debian minimal.
trying to connect to wifi was the hardest task I ever took on myself
>>
>>60821286 install firmware and figure out the args to iwlconfig?
>>
>>60821895
I just reinstalled and set it to automatically install xfce
>>
>>60815559
As you said, people installl Arch once while writing an install script (if they care about effficiency for later installs)
>>
>>60815982
Maybe you should have used Arch instead of Manjaro, you faggot.

Here's some ideas:
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
/etc/pacman.conf
$ pacman-keys --init
$ pacman-keys --populate archlinux
$ pacman -Syy
>>
>>60821286
>edit sources.list
>add non free repo
>install wifi drivers
>itjustworks.jpg

Arch or debian both are easy to install
>>
File: rms absolutely proprietary.jpg (54KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
rms absolutely proprietary.jpg
54KB, 480x451px
>>60822742
>>
>>60822761
yeah you're right sorry let me do it again

>set up a VM
>reverse engineer the proprietary drivers
>code your own drivers that will be free as in freedom
>install them
>submit them to debian team so people all over the world can use free as in freedom wifi
>>
File: 1492195607108.png (4KB, 375x237px) Image search: [Google]
1492195607108.png
4KB, 375x237px
Should I pick Arch or Gentoo?
>>
>>60822804
Thank you.
>>
File: 1494282706005.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1494282706005.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>60817733
>systemd
>>
File: 1479472374179.png (431KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479472374179.png
431KB, 1440x900px
what's the music player in this pic?
>>
>>60822896
probably ncmpcpp
>>
>>60822904
that visualizer isn't like anything I've ever seen in ncmpcpp
>>
What should I use for creating file checksums?
sha256?
>>
>>60822919
because you can change it you dum dum.
it's heavily customized ncmpcpp
>>
What can I use for handling external monitors? Right now I just run a startup script that turns off my laptop screen so only the TV it's connected to is displayed. But if I disconnect the HDMI cable my laptop monitor stays off. Wat do?
>>
>>60815559
Install parabola gnu+linux-libre
>>
I don't get the appeal of tilling WMs, stacking or dynamic are much better.
>>
>>60823223
Determine the names of the outputs by calling
$ xrandr

Then set the outputs accordingly after connecting the display:
$ xrandr --output "$PRIM" --auto --output "$EXT" --auto --right-of "$PRIM"

To disable outputs:
xrandr --output "$NOW_OFF" --off
>>
>>60823223
>plug in HDMI cable
>by default it extend the display to the second monitor
>pop up to ask me which behaviour I prefer
>can easily pick default monitor, programs don't have a weird behaviour like in windows
>sound manager permits to choose the audio output and volume for each program
>everything is perfectly as I want it to be

I don't think I'll find a better DE than XFCE.
>>
>>60823250
I used to think similarly but then I took a moment to observe my window usage:
>never more than 4 applications on the same screen / workspace
>most of the time only one application that covers entire screen
>when several applications are on the same screen, I want to be able to see them at the same time (i.e. stacking on top of each other is unwanted)
With a tiling WM you get that behaviour, plus moving the windows around is much faster and easier than dragging them around with the mouse and trying to resize and align them so they don't overlap while maximizing used screen space.
>>
File: friend.png (433KB, 598x556px) Image search: [Google]
friend.png
433KB, 598x556px
Is deleting Wine the only way to protect GNU/Linux from windows malware?
>>
>>60823315
Not installing Wine in the first place comes to mind.
>>
>>60823291
That's the only good thing about XFCE
>>
>>60823315
If you share folders rw with windows systems, including windows virtual machines, kekware can still fuck up your files inside the rw share.
>>
>>60823299
Yeah, but with tilling I always hate having to fight the wm to make it the way I want since it auto adjusts windows for you plus having to write configs and memorize a bunch of commands to get what I wanted. Dynamic is a nice compromise like dwm to get i3 like desktop but still floating.
>>
>>60823341
So delete the virtual z: drive from /.wine/dosdevice
>>
>>60823367
I was not talking about that, but about network shares like samba or virtualbox/vmware shared folders.
>>
>>60823384
I thought everyone moved to FTP after WannaCry.
>>
Are there any benefits of using freeBSD over linux?
>>
What is the best android os for pc?
>>
>>60823363
You do know you can set default window sizes based on program, workspace etc, right?
>having to write configs
Copy/paste, go over it once to set it up (if you copy-pasted you probably even get an explanation of what does what), never look at it again, or just / for keywords if you want to change stuff down the line.
>memorize a bunch of commands
Learn by doing, it takes less than an hour to get used to the basic shortcuts in i3 and they're easy to memorize, plus you can always look them up in the config. Also you can change the commands if they don't suit you
i3 can do floating as well.
>>
>>60823414
mostly philosophical eg. i don't like GPL
there used to be a meme about bsd supposedly having vastly superior networking stack to linux. I've read that it's no longer the truth and the difference is miniscule nowadays.

And you can lock it down, if you're a company, it's an attractive feature.
>>
>>60823268
Thanks. I also just found out about udev so that I can run a script upon a monitor connect/disconnect event.
>>
>>60823421
Well in that case I'll give i3 another try and treat it like a dynamic wm.
>>
>>60823531
Have fun. I was skeptical of it at first but fell in love with the default behaviour after giving it a chance.
>>
>>60823338
>lightweight and fast
>customizable

Nah. I think the only issues with it are
>screen tearing
>need a lot of time to evolve
>>
>>60823569
>screen tearing
compton
>>
>>60817818
>>60818041

Just install the base system with Ubuntu server image. Then you can built your desktop however you want. Stay away from the metapackages Ubuntu-unity, xubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop unless you want a default ubuntu instalation. My custom install of xfce4 is fucking nice, with a few changes here and there and some custom themes, it looks alright. And it has more (and easy) customization than LXDE.

Good luck, cheers.
>>
File: ebin linux.png (69KB, 635x307px) Image search: [Google]
ebin linux.png
69KB, 635x307px
Any reason for me to switch from Linux Mint Xfce to Xubuntu?
>>
>>60823579

Or setting up your hardware properly.
>>
>>60823593
apparmor profile
>>
>our G.I.R.L. decided to cut down free-as-in-stallman Libreboot laptops below 200€

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/libreboot-t400-minifree-reduces-price-once-again

Glad they realized that that they sold these laptops for inane prices (especially for the target audience).
>>
>>60823767
While that is pretty nice, don't these still have Intel processors which are backdoored anyway?
>>
>>60823767
>t400
lol
get a t420 and just wait a little by 2018 they'll polish coreboot and figure out how to libre it.
>>
File: 1410541437850.jpg (22KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1410541437850.jpg
22KB, 500x385px
just got my VPS set up after the previous hosting provider RIPd.
feels good man. ain't nothing better than a clean Arch installation.
>>
>>60816421
That seems plausible. I'm not familiar with NixOS but you could try compiling on it with the same flags you did w/ Memetoo, or did you download bins for both?

Wait, New UT = unreal right? So it wouldnt be any compiling... right? What libs? How did you compile those libs? I'm just giving ideas for thought.
>>
How to get video thumbnails with thunar?
>>
>>60823953

ffmpegthumbnailer
>>
>>60823953
this
>>60823995

also tumbler
>>
>>60823813
are you the guy from yesterday? which provider you decided to use btw?
>>
>>60824066
Yep, that was me.

I returned to RamNode, which I've used in the past but left because of some pretty major issues and bad pricing.
I wouldn't have returned if I wasn't so starved for options right now. RamNode has some pretty dope pricing options now and I'm happy with what I got (I went with "1024MB SKVMS" for 5$/month).
>>
Why does arch wiki list compositing wm like xfce wm to be tilling?
>>
>>60824277
I meant it lists xfce as stacking
>>
>>60824277

Xfce is not a window manager. It's a desktop environment. Xfwm4 is a window manager. It most likely has tiling features.
>>
>>60824299

Because that's its primary way of working.
>>
>>60824320
What's so fancy about compositing?
>>
>>60824342

I don't think the questions you're asking mean what you're asking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing_window_manager
>>
>>60824356
Okay, the compositing part is a separate feature and none of the other wm have compositing on as a required thing like windows does.
>>
>>60815169
We are probably all computers.

In fact, if anyone could prove that humans are capable of doing things computers are theoretically incapable of, that would most certainly be Fields Medal tier. No idea about the Nobel Prize. That doesn't really have a category for that shit.
>>
>compiling own kernel
>find configuration that works
>save it

How likely is the chance that it will get fucked up in the future when new features become available? Also wouldn't anyone feel weird using the old config and not checking if there are new features one could enable?

That together with the issue of the difficult packaging is what's preventing me from using my own kernel builds.
>>
>>60823995
I installed ffmpegthumbnailer. How to use it?
>>
>>60824629
just use linux
>>
>>60824630
Reboot
>>
>>60824630

Restart Thunar.
>>
>>60824629
>Also wouldn't anyone feel weird using the old config and not checking if there are new features one could enable?

make oldconfig

it will ask you abut the new features added.
>>
File: 2017-06-09-174115_708x414_scrot.png (44KB, 708x414px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-09-174115_708x414_scrot.png
44KB, 708x414px
>>
This may be a dumb question but which Linux distro has drag and drop? Tried googling but I got no definitive answer. Looking to switch from Windows 10.
>>
>>60825027
Use CLI.
>>
>>60825027
That's a desktop environment/window manager thing. Probably every single one has it. I'm on i3 and I can say, drag something from a file manager to firefox, etc.

>>60823486
After tons of effort and tweaking I can't get it to do it automatically. I've got udev running my script when I connect/disconnect the HDMI but nothing happens on the screen. If I manually invoke the script it works. So I've resorted to just having a keybind.
>>
>>60825027
>drag and drop
For what?
This is DE's job, most of can do that I guess.
>>
>>60825044
But I'm asking for drag and drop along with CLI.
>>
>>60825071
>>60825067
I didn't know it was a DE thing, I thought it depended on the distro. Any suggestions on the DE?
>>
>pulse audio systray is 40MB of memory
quality code as usual.
>>
>>60825079
Useless.
>>
File: 1496522284939.png (32KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1496522284939.png
32KB, 602x500px
>>60824926
best distro, hands off.
>>
>>60825092
As I said most should do it.
Unity, KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, GNOME, MATE can do drag and drop.
>>
>>60825099

Quality code by whom?
>>
>>60825119
>>60825092

Drag and drop is toolkit dependent. GTK2/3, Qt4/5 have it, others probably too. So virtually every environment you pick and program you use will support it.

Asking for drag and drop support from a distribution is like asking "which distribution has the letter B?".
>>
>>60825123
https://github.com/christophgysin
>>
>>60825138

Unless you have 128MB of RAM, I wouldn't worry about that. There are "lighter" solutions if you just need something to click on which will change volumes or bring up the mixer of your choice.
I use Volumeicon, but it uses 28MB, so your computer might not be able to handle that.
>>
>>60825180
>Volumeicon
that's alsa, not pa
>>
File: wa.webm (383KB, 751x414px) Image search: [Google]
wa.webm
383KB, 751x414px
>>60825241

Works with both.
>>
>>60825134
>>60825119
Thanks
>>
>>60825280
can't go over 1005 2bh
>>
Does systemd being there actually change anything for normies?
From what I've read on it it's for the most part not noticeable.
>>
>>60825413
Programs with systemd dependency can't be used anymore on systems without systemd.
>>
>>60825123
>additional app
>not using cli
>>
>>60825513

Do you also complain about other low-level components of your OS being dependencies for something?
>>
>>60825582
systemd is an init system. Programs should work on ANY init system.
>>
beware the redhat shill
>>
>>60825732
What about fedora?
>>
>>60824629
This is why I love lts kernel where I don't have to worry for months about new features breaking kernel.
>>
>>60825758
systemd, the distro
>>
>>60825758
fedora is upstream rhel
>>
>>60825027
You're gonna want something with KDE, try KDE Neon.
>>
File: big eats.jpg (62KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
big eats.jpg
62KB, 437x437px
>>60815099
Whenever I'm on my campus wifi, it suddenly stops working after a minute or so and I have to reconnect. (IE it will still be connected, just stil ldoesn't work)

I don't know how to troubleshoot networking issues, where should I start to get a better idea of what's going on?
>>
What is the most traditional UNIX like distro?
>>
>>60826157
macOS
>>
>>60826157
Void
>>
>>60826155
Try setting up a static IP.

Write down your DHCP settings, and enter the same in the IP settings, except set the your IP to the assumed end of the zone.

For example, if you current IP is 192.168.0.39 then set it to something like 192.168.0.250
>>
>>60826157
Slackware
>>
Will Devuan/Void ever gain momentum or is SystemD so heavily ingrained into Linux distro' that it's impossible to move on?
>>
I've been trying to get a custom 1440x1080 resolution but I keep getting this gay error when I try to add the mode
$ cvt 1440 1080 60
# 1440x1080 59.99 Hz (CVT 1.56M3) hsync: 67.19 kHz; pclk: 129.00 MHz
Modeline "1440x1080_60.00" 129.00 1440 1528 1680 1920 1080 1083 1087 1120 -hsync +vsync

$ sudo xrandr --newmode "1440x1080_60.00" 129.00 1440 1528 1680 1920 1080 1083 1087 1120 -hsync +vsync

$ sudo xrandr --addmode VGA-0 1440x1080_60.00
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 18 (RRAddOutputMode)
Serial number of failed request: 33
Current serial number in output stream: 34

If it helps I use nvidias 381.22 binary driver
>>
>>60825628

First of all, it's not just an init system. If you don't know something as superficial as that, then you're not in a position to comment any further.
Secondly, all of them do. You can't name any other than maybe GNOME, but even that works without it.
>>
so today while i was off at work my parents texted me saying they had a bunch of problems with the internet. so i tried to access my rutorrent online but couldn't connect and then i tried to ssh in and also could not connect. im dont really know if rtorrent was causing the problems and ive left it alone plenty of times before without any trouble, but im still a little worried that it may be a bit to aggressive so i want to do something about it. also it seems like a pretty good idea anyways

right now I allow connection through a tor hs only for both the ssh server and rutorrent because of the nat-punching abilities and because i already have tor connected 99% of the time anyway, so i figure some kind of shut-off could be based on that

tl;dr: how hard would it be to write a script that tells rtorrent to pause all traffic if tor doesn't say that it is connected, and then start seeding and stuff again once the connection is fine? i have no real programming experience

NO IM NOT TORRENTING OVER TOR AND THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT TORRENTING OVER TOR ONLY SSH TRAFFIC AND THE WEB UI IS GOING OVER TOR
>>
>>60826776
If it helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>60826828

>make claims
>cannot prove them
>"lol if it helps you sleep at night whatvs"
Kill yourself and stop wasting precious 4chan megabytes with your regurgitated, baseless content.
>>
>>60826634
Devuan stable was released just recently. It provides a great alternative for long time debian users, also it is a base for a few new distros (one of them is a candidate to be a FSF-approved libre distro).
>>
>>60826776
>it's not just an init system.
Correct. Systemd is not an init system; it is an alternative to diversity and flexibility on GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60826849
>Kill yourself
rude
>>
>>60826776
Systemd in the beggning was an init system.
Then pottering went crazy a gain and ruined it
>>
>>60826916
It's hard to argue that a project named "systemd" was never intended to be a daemon for running all of the system's functions, though.
>>
>>60826916
>pottering
no
>implying systemd isn't redhat's endgame to take over the complete ecosystem
>>
>>60826948
System-d
System- daemons
oh look that what init does
>>
>>60826975
>take over
Create*

GNU/Linux isn't an ecosystem, yet.
>>
Which distros are systemd-free and which of them are good?
>>
>>60827023
null
>>
>>60827023
check without-systemd.org for a complete list

good ones include: devuan, slackware, gentoo and of course the BSDs (including debian gnu/kfreebsd)
>>
>>60827023
gentoo, void, deuvan
gentoo
>>
>>60827023
Go for Devuan
>>
>>60827023
look for OpenRC
>>
>>60827023
Manjaro
>>
>all professional major distros adopt systemd
>only some backstreet hippie distros don't
really makes you think
>>
>>60827023
Gentoo
>>
>>60827119
gee its almost like (((the man))) is funding redhat linux developments or something!!!
>>
>>60827119
>people who defend pötteringd (with le ebin appeal to the authority argument) are the RLY MKS U DINK XDDDDD underage /pol/ meme spamming trash

No need to think there, it makes perfect sense. Go fucking kill yourself back to the containment board.
>>
File: 1494121464119.jpg (522KB, 1439x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1494121464119.jpg
522KB, 1439x1052px
>>60827119
nice
>>
>>60827149
>antisemit echos

>>60827192
>le

average backstreet hippie argumentation
really makes you think
>>
Those who don't like systemd are a vocal minority, don't listen to them. They're like flat earthers.
>>
@60827251
bad post
>>
>>60827208
The only thing worse than thumbnails are upscaled thumbnails. Reverse search the picture and save one with good quality so you can stop turning the internet into a low quality internet. Thanks for listening.
>>
File: 688.jpg (50KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
688.jpg
50KB, 500x345px
>>60827251
We are like Ron Paul. We try to warn you, but you choose not to listen. Our warnings go unheard, as your cries for mercy surely will.
>>
>>60827236
antisemite brackets don't disprove my point
statistics show the us military funds redhat linux the most
wake up shorple
>>
>>60827306
much like ron paul, you fags will not make (((anime))) real
>>
>>60827251
There are redhat shills in every environment dedicated to Linux. Ignore them, they have no interest in respecting your privacy or personal freedom.
>>
How do I install this?
>>
File: 1471489671347.png (4KB, 559x420px) Image search: [Google]
1471489671347.png
4KB, 559x420px
>>60827294
>>
>>60827422
chmod +x ccs_setup_li*
./ccs_setup_li*
>>
File: nsa.png (12KB, 559x420px) Image search: [Google]
nsa.png
12KB, 559x420px
>>60827428
>>60827294
>>60827251
>>
>>60815405
>>third world languages
Like Swedish? Or Swiss?

>>60817506
Just install any regular pre-built distribution like Debian or Fedora and disable all the startup services you absolutely don't need and use a light desktop like XFCE4. What you absolutely don't want on a box like that is Gentoo or Arch or something that requires you to compile anything, you'll be looking at months of compilation before you have a usable system if you go that route.
>>
>>60827119
>no arguments
>appeal to authority
really fires up those init scripts
>>
File: snibbidy snab.png (34KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
snibbidy snab.png
34KB, 666x666px
>>60826333
I think setting a static IP did the trick. Been using it for a few minutes now and everything seems to work. Not sure what the cause was then, but perhaps just some weird verification of IP's.

Thank you anon!
>>
File: 2017-06-09-205918_164x30_scrot.png (2KB, 164x30px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-09-205918_164x30_scrot.png
2KB, 164x30px
can someone in the most cavemanish way possible explain what every character of this bit does?

especially the "-z"
and the [[ ]]

I know that $SUMMARY is a variable
>>
>>60827664
Double brackets are useless.
Use
 [ -z "$SUMMARY" ] 
to check if a string is empty.
>>
>>60827664
man test
>>
File: 1496351929829.jpg (41KB, 667x927px) Image search: [Google]
1496351929829.jpg
41KB, 667x927px
So what's up with the current kernel? Since a few updates ago my laptop will randomly fail to suspend and when I open it up again it's completely unresponsive and I have to hard reboot. Or is it just a problem with something else like Gnome or Wayland?
>>
Working though my first Arch build.
Got most things working just fine, video drivers, wifi etc... so what's a good desktop environment other then GNOME? What do you guys like?
>>
>>60827875
sounds like systemd problem senpai
>>
>>60827911
If you have a nice build with a high refresh rate or HiDPI screen, KDE all the way. It's the most advanced DE.
>>
Would having 2 graphics drivers installed cause Manjaro Linux to no boot? How do I uninstall graphics drivers from the terminal?
>>
>>60827965
no
>>
>>60827965
Rather than that, you can blacklist kernel modules so they won't load if you suspect they're causing problems.
>>
File: startx No Screens.jpg (245KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
startx No Screens.jpg
245KB, 1280x960px
>>60828002
>>60827991
Okay. Any idea what could cause this to happen?
>>
>>60827875
>Posts image like this without providing sauce.
>>
>>60828032
post the logfile
>>
File: 1gioj8.jpg (37KB, 539x412px) Image search: [Google]
1gioj8.jpg
37KB, 539x412px
>>60828032
>xinit: giving up
me too brah, me too
>>
>>60827936
Maybe it is, I'm not sure what to make of all this. I think my NFS server is the culprit.
>>
>>60828032
cat Xorg.0.log |grep EE

post the results
>>
guise every de/wm is buggy to the bone. why is this the fucking case? why cant there be standards with JEWNU Linux? why does font rendering suck ass so much? is there a distro that isn't complete shit and simple to operate like windows ie: works out of the box? say what you want about windows. but explorer.exe jus works.
>>
>>60828118
describe your problem senpai.
>>
>>60828137
fine
>xfce
great fucking de -- the best -- problems occur when with my dual monitor basically cant move icons on desktop around; or select icons on desktop and move around since they always get moved to the primary display. fucking annoying. also the desktop notifications flicker and get stuck whenever i use the volume control
>gnome3
wtf is this shit what the hell happened? gnome2 was the best -- they ruined it.
>mate
this is good but also kinda buggy. on caja w/e the fuck it is called now [what happened to the fossil file manager?] anyways, my fucking mouse5 and 6 dont work with caja meaning i cant fucking move forward or back between directories; get this -- if the fucking view setting is detail or list view. i have to run it as root to get mouse5 and 6 working. BULLSHIT
>kde
was always shit
>other weird scriptty-scripterson wm like i3, window, etc
these are fucking great and fast problem is i dont want to learn how to configure them -- fuck that "well here is the source, do it yourself" shit.
>>
>>60828118
systemctl rupeed --deposit 20 --post 60828118
>>
>>60827580
>>60827428
RedHat version is missing.
>>
>>60828229
no, fuck you, windows is shit; india is bigger shit.
>>
>>60828211
You know someone's opinion is kinda worthless when they advocate for xfce in 2017.
>>
>>60828238
so are your ebin "font rendering" and "not just werks" memes. Next time you want to troll, come with something new.
>>
>>60828137
also, why do my font look horrendous on every distro, man? there is no aa - no smooth fixes. i just want times new roman :(
>>
>>60828211
>gnome2 was the best -- they ruined it.
>mate
>this is good but also kinda buggy.
Kek, fuck off kid youre only parroting shit you've heard on /g/.Mate is gnome2.
>>
>>60828260
i am not trolling i want an alternative to windows. linux is too fucking bullshit and macos is aids. i am just going to use windows 2000 or windows xp. i dont care anymore.
>>
File: 2017-06-09-214809_600x454_scrot.png (25KB, 600x454px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-09-214809_600x454_scrot.png
25KB, 600x454px
>>60828261
>there is no aa
pic rel
>i just want times new roman
It's called Liberation Serif.
>>
>>60828262
no it is not. dont lie. gnome 2 had the fossil file manger which was fucking amazing. so fuck you. fuck your whore of a mother. im going to get you...
>>
>>60828273
Install ReactOS
>>
>>60827684
>>Double brackets are useless.
They aren't. It's correct bash syntax and has some averages over "test".
Single bracket [, or "test" (which both are actually programs) is used with POSIX shell scripts.

>>60828082
>cat
Stop this insanity.

grep EE Xorg.0.log
>>
>>60828285
Just install it you dumb cunt.
>>
>>60828297
>>60828285
Friendly thread. Please behave.
>>
>>60828282
WHAT DISTRO IS THIS WHY DOESNT UBUNTU HAVE THIS?
>>
>>60828314
dont tell me to behave, goldsten, everyone is attacking me because i want solutions to problems that should've been resolved eons ago.
>>
>>60828294
Show me a [[ example and I will teach you.
>>
>>60828321
did your parents drop you on the head when you were little?
>>
>>60828352
i dont know. i give up though.
>>
>>60828376
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+font+anti+aliasing

gotchu senpai
>>
>>60828411
i dont use google. i never will.
>>
>>60828426
I don't really care buddy.
>>
>>60828334
Here's your solution: Install Antergos and use KDE.
>>
>>60828344
op='a faggot'; [[ $op =~ ^a ]] && echo yep || echo nope
>>
>>60828431
did i ask you to care? tell me where you live.
>>60828432
antergos, eh? so far lxqt w/e the fuck de lubuntu uses is pretty gud. i will try antergos
>>
Guys, is it worth it to change my current NVidia GTX 760 with a AMD GPU for the sake of Linux?

Is there a sensible difference? I don't care 'bout muh gaymz.
>>
>>60828452
Keep in mind lxqt is also dead so don't expect any more improvements in the near future for it.
>>
>>60828443
Do not want to read the doc. Explain to me what it means and I will translate it to portable sh
>>
>>60828478
can't improve perfection
>>
>>60828479
=~ ^a indicates a regex checking if the string starts with an "a".
>>
>>60828549
"$(echo "$op" | grep -e '^a')"
>>
File: xorglog.jpg (109KB, 1280x475px) Image search: [Google]
xorglog.jpg
109KB, 1280x475px
>>60828294
>>60828082
Everyone gets a (You)
>>
File: pepe wizard.jpg (25KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
pepe wizard.jpg
25KB, 499x499px
bump
>>
>>60828739
>there are no errors
what the fug

try grepping WW this time for warning
>>
New thread: >>60828817
>>
Hackers youll be freeeeeeeee
join us now and share the free software
you be freeehackers ull ebe freeeEeeeEeEEe
>>
File: illust_35663184_20170609_151820.jpg (83KB, 800x777px) Image search: [Google]
illust_35663184_20170609_151820.jpg
83KB, 800x777px
What's a good small distro for a vm?
I just want to be able to use gcc and use as little resources as possible.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.