[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cyb/ + /netsec/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 41

File: lain.gif (273KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
lain.gif
273KB, 500x370px
Because /netsec/ is /cyb/

/cyb/ + /netsec/ is for discussion of all things Cyberpunk, from movies, TV, websites, games, current events, computer security, networks, exploits, reverse engineering, social engineering, hacking, tricks, etc. Related topics range from fashion, to personal security and anonymity, to alternative and creative hardware, and much more.

>What is cyberpunk?
Cyberpunk is a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

>>> Resources <<<
"Dead" Links: http://pastebin.com/ZCypghZf
Organized Links: http://pastebin.com/GAMmimeQ
How To Into Cyberpunk: http://pastebin.com/PPueAapP (NEW!)
Archive: https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&search_subject=Cyberpunk
Zeronet: https://zeronet.io/
Freenet: https://freenetproject.org/
Cyberadio: http://www.cyberadio.pw/

Suggestions for new resources are welcome.

IRC: #/g/punk on Rizon

netsec resources / pasta: https://pastebin.com/84pae3QX
>>
>>60021750
have a bump on me.

also, anyone try GNU/net? thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_0251.jpg (53KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
53KB, 400x533px
I can dig it/
>>
>>60021750
>/cyb/ + /netsec/
I am pretty ok with that
>>
>>60023818
ikr? they're very intertwined. since both are pretty slow and die a lot i thought it'd be more alive if they were combiend
>>60022774
never heard of it until now but it looks interesting. https://gnunet.org/about reading this is doesn't make it sound like there's a functioning social media network, is there then? sounds like the stuff running is peer to peer file sharing stuff
>>
>>60022774
GNUnet seems too immature to really be anything than a small peer network for experimentation.

I am trying out i2p and I'm wondering what I can do with it other than open .i2p sites on tor browser.
>>
>>60023851
>ikr? they're very intertwined. since both are pretty slow and die a lot i thought it'd be more alive if they were combiend
More than fit, I though it myself a couple times. Also you got cypherpunk, the product of the two you can say, is all very related in the end.
>>
is ruby any good for haxoring? the people who use ruby seem to love it so much and i kind of want an excuse to learn it. just finishing getting the hang of python. any rubyists here?
>>
I am working on a list of security tips in order of difficulty https://pastebin.com/L5ZmNb7y

r8 h8 m8s
>>
netsec can be v cyb
but cyb is not all about sec u nerds

doing ctf's and running automated sql injections on your intentionally gimped copy of wordpress on a vm does not make you elite

fucking hipsters
>>
anyone wanna raid a megacorp
>>
>>60024225
I am not elite enough ;_;
>>
>>60024152
>Level 2: Don't save your passwords on a plaintext or in some "cloud" service like lastpass, create and remember one good main password and use KeePassX (and I mean the one with an X) and use the option to generate the rest.

i get really irritated when people who are half-proficient in tech get on a rant about how great last pass is and how much stronger it is than regular passwords. there's just so much wrong with the idea of giving all your passwords to a password company. it'd be different if it just encrypted them on your own machine
>>
File: NoCloud.png (148KB, 388x228px) Image search: [Google]
NoCloud.png
148KB, 388x228px
>>60024256
As I once see in a cyberpunk documentary using a little satire can help a cyberpunk to express itself. And whenever someone on /g/ recommends lastpass or something like it I use a pic like this.
>>
What's the deal with all these skill-less wimps on /g/? You talk so much about netsec, programming and your Hollywood sponsored cyberpunk bullshit but I've never seen any of you fools do some real hacking.

Get some hacking skills and stop barking like dogs, it's pathetic
>>
>>60024312
lol! i really, really like this one. mind if i save it?
>>
>>60024144
If you know python, ruby isn't too far away in terms of syntax. Go ask /dpt/ or /sqt/ for more info.
>>
File: 54405603.jpg (32KB, 500x564px) Image search: [Google]
54405603.jpg
32KB, 500x564px
>>60024319
You won't really have many safe channels to talk shit like that anymore (everything gets down immediately). There was this french chat that was like popular some years back, is down too.

>>60024336
sure thing m8
>>
File: 1415858731885.png (509KB, 480x488px) Image search: [Google]
1415858731885.png
509KB, 480x488px
>>60021750
>my entire career is the same as cyberpunk
Cool I think
>>
>>60024432
how's the pay? i'm kind of split between software development and security. you never really hear about security jobs, not at my university at least. right now the current hope is to get a job in software dev at a giant corp like facebook or google. i know they pay a lot, but they also work them like dogs
>>
File: LM.gif (4MB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
LM.gif
4MB, 650x650px
>>
>>60024469
Pay is area dependent. I'm at 60k, which seems low, but it's great for where I live and my experience. I'm in middle of nowhere America, not on the coasts.

I can't speak for your area, but any company of decent size is bound to have IT Security. I will say software development is not likely to be nearly as interesting, but that depends on the person I'd expect. [spoiler]Oh, and security is easy as fuck until something goes wrong, software is busting your ass all day every day.[/spoiler]
>>
>>60024550
yeah i'm sure if you're doing security at google or something in california you'd be making 100k+, but having an extra 30k in expenses... i've been reading about the NSA's tailored access operations for a paper i have to write and it looks cool as FUCK. they have a thousand people there just developing exploits and tools. i've always related more to the bad guys anyways, dream job
>>
>>60024608
Oh ya, I'd make a lot more, but it'd probably be a pay cut with living expenses.

My advice to you is that the black hat jobs are prolly a good 5% of the field and way more competitive. Most work is ensuring compliance (PCI, NIST, HIPPA, etc), watching the firewall, reviewing alarms in the fancy corporate tools, that sort of thing. Black hat comes up when you want to do some testing but that's about it.

Developing exploits is a nice fusion of security and software dev, but I wouldn't want to be the one trying my hand at that job market, not fresh out of college at least.
>>
>>60021750
if you are going to add sec you should have used our pastebin not some shit one. also you could have added our irc. otherwise it is just another /cyb/ thread were people rp being hackers
>>
Should I actually watch serial experiments lain or is it overrated?
>>
>>60026290
literally just copy pasted from the last thread i could find in the archives and put it in a pastebin because the body was too long. deal w/ it
>>
>>60026320
just the same outdated shit in the wiki
>>
File: reading.jpg (79KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
reading.jpg
79KB, 432x585px
how does one get into a security jerb if you have basic compsci and webdev skills? I read half a book on shellcode and thought it was cool but likely very out of date. The hackernews guys made it sound like knowing crypto was a must but it seems like you need a math degree to understand it (and I'm good at math but it's a huge commitment to learn even undergrad crypto).
>>
>>60026314
i never watched SEL but ghost in the shell the original movie is kino
>>
>>60024256
KeepassXC is better.
>>
>>60026368
hackernews guys?
You asked them the same question?
No a deeper understanding of crypto is not needed.
>>
I'm very excited to start my infosec internship at a company that's gotten a lot of publicity in the news recently..they investigate espionage and nation-state attacks. For college students wondering how to break into the field, here's my advice: apply, apply, apply.

First get some basic understanding of infosec concepts. Symmetric and Asymmetric crypto, how stack overflows work conceptually, what type of security certifications are out there, basic tools like ones you might find in Backtrack Linux, etc. What you're looking for is just conversational knowledge that you can use in interviews.

Next, apply fucking everywhere you possibly can. I applied to every single infosec internship I could possibly find across the US for like 3 months straight. I have a good GPA so I ended up getting a slew of like 7 different offers by the end of my insane spree of applications, just gotta be disciplined about it.

Lastly, work on that resume. Throw in some projects that might even just take an hour or two to make, but do them to put them on the resume. If you're curious, I never got asked for code from a single project that I listed on my resume. Of course, all the projects, experience etc listed should be security related.

If any of you have any other questions, feel free to respond as I'll be lurking around this thread
>>
File: 1483236367663.jpg (765KB, 900x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1483236367663.jpg
765KB, 900x1260px
>>60026523
gratz anon-kun! my university offers NO security related courses whatsoever for the CSCI program. is that your major? any books or something of the like you'd recommend?
>>
>>60026523
Hey congratulations! I'm just an IT student thats more on the sysadmin side of things but I really liked reading your story since I'm writing my first resume right now.
>>
lads what if we made a lain
>>
File: lainsticker.png (95KB, 251x340px) Image search: [Google]
lainsticker.png
95KB, 251x340px
>>60026801
LADS

Hey uhh guys I'm really interested in blockchain tech and I want to create a crypto. I'm really great at attracting talent and creating teams, I just don't know enough about cryptocurrencies to really get started.

What are some of the problems with Ethereum?
>>
>>60026801
>>60026860
we /brit/?
>>
>>60026866
yes you nonce
>>
https://lainchan.jp/
https://wirechan.org/
>>
>>60026860
(me)

>>60026866
No, also doesn't this go a bit against /cyb/ values to de-anonymise?
>>
>>60026885
>https://lainchan.jp/
wrong
>>
>>60021750
Im also ok with the merge

but I still dont catch the word 'netsec'.

netsec? sec? whitehack only stuff?
afraid of illegal stuff?
hacking IS NOT a crime.

theory is fine but real adrenaline is on the wild inet ..
cyberpunk always welcome because of yes.

what are you? what do you want to be?
today's script kiddies could be hackers of tomorrow, so im not afraid.

Hack the fucking planet, be curious about tech, share knowledge, have phun meanwhile.. lifestyle

Sometimes i have the feel that i know you all even if i never didnt meet anyone of you.

Keep the shit up and running.
>>
>>60027176
I agree with you man.
>>
>>60024144
rubyist here. Depends what you want to do. Its handling of binary files and stuff like that is prettty solid. My background's in web automation and shit like that; ruby is fucking legit for web scraping and stuff (httpclient + nokogiri). Also the language is real fucking pretty, the gem ecosystem is top notch, and Ruby 2.4 just came out.
>>
>>60027302
i really don't have the spare time to learn another language for no real reason in particular, but this convinced me! i got the well rounded rubyist, will be going through that cheers la'
>>
>>60027176
i think it's just always been called netsec because it's a more inclusive term than hacker (the modern sense) would be since that indicates black hat only. whereas netsec makes all the hats feel included. (and that people are afraid of being called a script kiddy or made fun of for thinking hacking is really cool, so they don't call it hacking, they call it netsec)
>>
>>60027440

It isnt a matter of the tedious job of learning a new languague.

It's about achieving what you want to do , learn new things and progressing from there (:
>>
File: 3dpd-gits.jpg (79KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
3dpd-gits.jpg
79KB, 640x360px
was this as hilariously terrible as i assumed it'd be? mediocre score on rotten tomatoes but not comically bad
>>60027506
:*
>>
good to see lainchan up and running again
>>
>>60027505

I understand the logic you are explaining.

But netsec for me refers to the word network.

network is an important thing for 'hacking' but not the only one. Thats my point
>>
>>60027612
What is lainchan?
>>
>>60027684
why not go there and find out?

lainzine 4 out when
>>
>>60027684
lainchan,org, a /cyb/ imageboard
it got wiped by the previous owner a while back and the current admin team have slowly put it back together.

there's another website called lainchan,jp which was made after the wipe because one of the org admins (allegedly) was mad that appleman was being slow with her recommendations for the website and just taking his time in general.

anyway, it's a cool website, stop by sometime

>>60027743
there was a thread on it, an unedited version got posted
>>
>>60027774
sorry for not actually posting the addresses, i was getting spam filter'd
>>
>>60027774
>it got wiped by the previous owner a while back and the current admin team have slowly put it back together.
i think kalyx thought appleman would have backups on a different server, and that it'd just be a bit of banter with the site down a couple hours
>>
>>60027837
yeah, i never really liked kalyx but i don't blame him. i would've thought appledude would have secure backups too
>>
>>60024319
doesn't seem very smart for people to openly discuss things that can put them in jail for most their life.
>>
>>60027544
the best criticism you can do is go to cinema and watch thin movie yourself.

I enjoyed it because i was in an pesimistic spectation (I knew Scarlet doesnt like to "move" in action movies).

For me was a good movie, well filmed and cyb af.
>>
>>60027774

I think moar ppl from /sec/ thread is running a ctf this weekend.

without counting those lurkers who have something to tell (probably).
expect be readed by a growing community
no worries heh
>>
File: 1491180051781.jpg (222KB, 914x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1491180051781.jpg
222KB, 914x1200px
Opinions on CS/Networking/Cyber Sec degrees & careers

I'm leaning towards Cyber Sec, I was doing CS, I'm quite familiar with Linux.
>>
>>60028093
> degrees & careers

those are corporate memes
I have seen sixteen years old guys with more knowledge than those people.

Only requirements to learn are a pc and an internet access.
Pick your interest (or what you want to do) and start from there.

Advance over the years and keep it up.
???
profit
>>
File: 1467482643363.jpg (202KB, 1280x976px) Image search: [Google]
1467482643363.jpg
202KB, 1280x976px
>>60026314
Just watch it, unlikely you'll love it, but at least you'll be able to make connection with the images posted around.
>>
I can't get the hang of linux CLI. How does one get good at it? Regular expressions are even worse.
>>
>>60028177
Everyone who isn't a retard know you don't learn much in academia, it gives you a few guidelines and a best it proves you have the potential to actually learn more on your own.

But how the fuck you get a position in security without a degree? Everyone asks for a degree.
>>
>>60032173

you can start for example doing simple things like those you do on windows: compress things, navigate through system hierarchy, learn how to pipe program output from an app no the input of another.
Most basic regexp is piping output of something (lets say, a 'cat' from a text file) to grep: cat file.txt| grep 'pattern'

start from there.
>>
>>60032232
Im unsure about genting a position in sec field.
Main reason is I do not want to bastarize my hobby.
Maybe Im wrong (hope so)
>>
What's going on with lainchan?
>Kalyx behaved like a stereotype and nuked the server with the backups.
>Appleman had to start from scratch, asks on /q/ which boards he should rebuild.
>...
>lainchan dot org has plenty of boards and content
>lainchan dot jp is empty and seems like a rebuild.
>>
>>60032864
It got a small split because some moderators couldn't handle it with the new admin and still wanted to keep the community with them because they sure aren't getting anyone else. In my opinion it was more like they wanted a reason to save the former admin who sold the site and later on fucked with one of the boards leading to him getting demodded.
This is not healthy, I suggest to not think about their useless quarrels that take away from topics of interest.
>>
Lot of kids roleplaying in this thread
Is there anyone else here that actually gets paid to do vr
>>
>>60027774
>there's another website called lainchan,jp which was made after the wipe because one of the org admins (allegedly) was mad that appleman was being slow with her recommendations for the website and just taking his time in general.
And wipe happened because one of the former owners deliberately destroyed the original site a few months after he sold it, he claimed he didn't have access to the server when he was selling it. After that, he regretted his decision, wiped it and joined ".jp" after that. If you are looking for /g/ tier generals with 2 posters and 15 mods, go for ".jp".
>>
>>60027544
I expected the film to be terrible, but I saw a director interview and he described it as a 'reimagining' of the original story. this told me they would tell the story in a new way, just as was done with all the OVAs. I liked that they gave Batou and Mokoto back stories, although they did dumb it down for today's audiences. don't expect deep philosophical dialog, but it's OK.
>>
>>60024152
>Level 23: Use a source based distro without crypto libraries on its package manager.
Level 24: Become a great pentester and make the world a better place.
>>
>>60027176
I forgot about that. Yes man, hack the fucking planet!
>>
>>60028042
Really? Can you give me a link to the thread? Would be really awesome since I'm searching for some communities to hack with and sharing knowledge, challenging each other and so on. Any recommendations?
>>
Anybody have that video of the (I think British) dude at some kind of convention doxing a guy on stage with facebook and then calling him to leave a message with a bunch of his personal info in it? I've been looking for it but I can't find it for some reason.
>>
>>60034585
maybe you can find something on media.ccc.de if not, look for the standard youtube channels
>>
>>60034634
Can't seem to find it with that site, but thanks anyway. Looks like there's a lot of interesting content on there.
>>
>>60034955
Yeah it is! The service is owned by the great ccc in Germany. You have to check them out. This is our hacker culture here :)
>>
>>60027176
>hack the planet
H-how?
>>
>>60035579
Me must hack into the core mainframe via mantle firewall and then overload the central while loop forcing the command execution to stop or even better, to get even faster. If we wire additional controls to tamper at the sillicon level we might control the planet's spin cycle, granting us total dominance. Destroy sleep schedule, destroy the society.
>>
>>60032232
get a degree then
I do this not for a job but as a dedicated hobby and for fun.
>>
>>60032232
idk dude, I'm going to a technical college for a two year degree in networking and I feel like I've learned some pretty important stuff and made some progress. Then again, I only went in with some basic windows and unix knowledge so there was a lot of room for improvement. Maybe I just got lucky and ended up with good teachers.

That being said, everything I'm learning there could easily be self-taught online, but tuition is cheap and I get that magical piece of paper that doesn't get my application immediately tossed into the trash so it was worth it imo.
>>
File: 1491545531804.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491545531804.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Can anyone recommend me a book on how to write better optimized programs and algorithms,standard techniques,conventions,etc.?
>>
>>60035805
Akira.
>>
>>60026600
I'm CS and I go to a pretty shitty school in the middle of nowhere, so we don't have any security courses here either. Honestly for CS we're lucky that it's in such high demand that the school isn't very important; any engineering/STEM degree is more of a trade anyway, so if you know your stuff then you should be fine. For books, I'd really recommend a small pdf that isn't very popular that I found on reddit - Game Hacking by Nick Cano. For anybody looking to gain low-level reverse engineering skills, I would HIGHLY recommend this book. Some of the concepts are difficult, but everything is explained very well. Also it's not just drill drill drill, you get to actually hack games which is super rewarding. The fact that you'll be able to hack modern games on the Windows platform means that the skills your gaining are actually applicable in the real world in 2017. I spent one of my breaks from school writing an entire notebook worth notes to summarize each chapter of the book, if anyone would like me to scan that I'd also be open to it
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(23).jpg (100KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(23).jpg
100KB, 500x583px
>>60021750
>/cyb/ + /netsec/

I'm 100% on board with this. Any reverse software engineers here? What are your favorite gdb commands, for me it's x/x and x/i.
>>
>>60035805
i think you're looking for the programming thread, this is the retards pretending to be hackers thread
>>
File: 9780136108047.jpg (25KB, 372x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780136108047.jpg
25KB, 372x400px
>>60035805
Pic related
>>
>>60024688
I hate to break it to you, but that's not black hat.
>>
>>60036500
Isn't this book about computer hardware?
>>
>>60036562
>implying you know what kind of testing it is
>>
>>60032173
check out the overthewire wargame in the netsec pastebin in the op, it's pretty good for getting the hang of it. also reading some books on linux wouldn't hurt. don't pick out anything too in-depth, since you won't absorb it probably
>>
>>60036613
i think it'd just be white hat pentesting right? black hat implies illegal activity, not being on the offensive team
>>
>>60036595
No, it's although it does touch on that. It's mostly about computer architecture and assembly language.
>>
>>60034579
thread was closed on saturday.
I dont remember IRC channel name, maybe someone can tell
>>
>>60038262
You're right but whenever anyone is talking about hacking at all in any context they keep saying black hat. I've just accepted the term's evolution at this point.
>>
>>60039901
fair enough
>>
>>60039358
#/g/sec Rizon
>>
File: 1490648794513.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1490648794513.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>60024215
holobq mphg
>>
What GNU/Linux distribution do guys in netsec/infosec use? When my friend was at Defcon he said everyone was using either Ubuntu or Windows, but I assumed it'd be Debian/Arch?
>>
File: 1479540117549.gif (600KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
1479540117549.gif
600KB, 500x708px
Post your favorite l337 h4x0r music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2uyF4PzNI
When I'm feeling /cyb/ as fuck I listen to this
>>
>>60040259
First time in this general, I use debian. (Win7 most of the time though)
>>
>>60040329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEhff4GgjGU

crystal method's hit or miss but they have some bangers
>>
>>60040259
AFAIK everyone uses Ubuntu at Defcon just so they are sure they are using the same software version as everyone else. You'll probably see more Windows than GNU/Linux there though
>>
>>60024152
building a router myself running OPNsense good enough vs using LibreCMC?
>>
>>60040259
In the industry it's Ubuntu/Redhat, and for some companies Windows XP is quite common still.
>>
Make sure to check out the /sec/ IRC channel on Rizon #/g/sec

Here's our pastebin
https://pastebin.com/UY7RxEqp
>>
System hardening guide if anyone is interested;

https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/red_hat_enterprise_linux_6/

Maybe include it in the thread copy/paste?
>>
>>60040259
Ubuntu/Debian/OpenSUSE/Fedora -- Take your pick. All depends on your use case and personal preferences. (Hell maybe even Gentoo, if you really want to learn *nix and get into the nitty gritty)

Arch isn't all that stable or minimal. It's really turned into a meme imo (although not horrible). I just don't like it.

Most professionals I know run Fedora & MacOS at home,( Red Hat/ RHEL / Windows LTSB on work machines )

I have a lot of buddies that swear by Debian for hobby and personal use, however. It's picking up steam.
>>
File: snortsplunk.png (26KB, 422x444px) Image search: [Google]
snortsplunk.png
26KB, 422x444px
I never enjoyed coding much and while I can get by on scripting for really simple maintenance/scrapping and thing for manipulating data I knew I couldn't go into pen testing.

So I ended up being more so within the SIEM threat analyst sorta space. Last three jobs have all been working in either Splunk or Kibana for mostly malware hunting and insider threat hunting.

With the right data sources though on well configured security appliances, hunting on a SIEM can be a blast. Very visual and lets you build up your own unique threat hunting technique through the SIEM's analytics. Comparable to how a sysadmin might have a lot of his maintenance and reporting tasks tuned, a good security analyst can work towards similar automation where desired network artifacts or anomalies will be aggregated so finding malware on the network becomes as easy as checking a few dashboard panels and email alerts.

Highly recommend the security analyst or SIEM engineer route for anyone still trying to find a niche under the security field umbrella who might not want to do a ton of coding on a daily basis and finds things like compliance or strictly configuration services boring.
>>
Is FreeBSD the most insecure piece of shit OS ever created?
>>
are there any wargames with a cyberpunk themed story? i read about a couple capture the flags that had stories, where one was like you hacking into a crime family's network. it's finished a long while ago though
>>
>>60040682
Thank you for the informative response! I'm guessing the guys you know are Redhat employees?
>>
>>60040587
Does this apply to every GNU/Linux distro or just Redhat/CentOS?
>>
>>60032173
Here http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

>>60034421
This
>>
>>60040853
It can be tweaked to be similar to OpenBSD, but yeah by default and without some serious knowledge FreeBSD is pretty insecure.
>>
>>60040969
This is a general checklist to locking down a system, it can be used for any GNU/Linux or even *BSD operating systems.

Learn how to implement this and you will be better qualified than most of the guys I work with in network security engineering.
>>
who got fucked by pctf here?

only 5 solves ;-;
>>
>>60041025
pico? i got 20, still nowhere near as good as i wanted. need to keep on learning i guess
>>
>>60040682
>Redhat
Meant to say CentOS
>>
>>60041139
plaidctf from ppp

it just finished
>>
>>60041159
ahh, i wish more people would leave them up after the judging's over, just for people to play on
>>
File: 563e16e.jpg (64KB, 960x636px) Image search: [Google]
563e16e.jpg
64KB, 960x636px
what are some cute security side projects that can go onto a resume?
thinking of making a vuln scanner and adding more onto it over time to demonstrate learning
>>
>>60041561
also interested in this
>>
>>60026860
>I'm really great at attracting talent and creating teams, I just don't know enough about cryptocurrencies to really get started.
So you want to be the "idea guy", basically. this is like the time that /g/ wanted to make an os, and some dude decided he'd register the domain name and create the logo and thought he was helping.

educate yourself about how they work, and then you'll learn real quick how to contribute meaningfully.
>>
File: C98u1gNUQAAP5i8.jpg large.jpg (42KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
C98u1gNUQAAP5i8.jpg large.jpg
42KB, 640x640px
>>60033508
wtf is happening in this pic? Ive seen ppl line walls like that to prevent thermal cameras from finding grow lights.. but computers? Is he trying to make a faradaecage?
>>
>>60041967
you forgot about the tiny dildo on the shelf
>>
>>60041967
He is preventing to get spy on by electronic air sniffing.

On this day and age I wouldn't be surprised this is done en mass by intelligence agencies.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9kYAEyVjEY&list=PL29CFFB0C178E4903

hard to believe funimation depicted suicide
>>
File: 20170423_195032.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20170423_195032.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>60033508
Ruh roh
>>
File: 1492510908141.jpg (11KB, 469x365px) Image search: [Google]
1492510908141.jpg
11KB, 469x365px
>>60042493
you fucking beat me to it, this guy is Shaggy 100%
>>
>>60042493
>1.94 MB
apply yourself
>>
File: itsamemeyoudip.png (104KB, 295x223px) Image search: [Google]
itsamemeyoudip.png
104KB, 295x223px
>>60042517
My maymay folder is only 180 MB thanks to proper compression. Anyone else want to share the size of their image save folders?
>>
>>60040329
That sounds demoscene as fuck.
I can feel the Amiga flowing through every millimeter of my penile tissue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGpU3DicbLQ
>>
>>60042517
I'm on a mobile. Might as well make gook moot pay more for storage
>>
Just finished a CTF for the first time. Learned a lot to be honest, good stuff.

Though, I still have a lot to learn, mostly more linux commands and steg stuff.

Any good resources on steg?
>>
>>60042930
which ctf lad
>>
>>60042991
nationalcyberleague.org (NCL), the one where you had to pay like $25

They have 3 events, pregame (solo), main game (solo), final game (with a team)
>>
>>60043025
>>60042991
The reason I paid, well, got in one that requires money was because my security club was doing it, so might as well.
>>
File: 1486722899754.png (578KB, 554x523px) Image search: [Google]
1486722899754.png
578KB, 554x523px
>>60021750
GET IN HERE ASAP ANONS!!!!!!
>>60043427
>>
File: DARPA_Logo.jpg (550KB, 1024x1041px) Image search: [Google]
DARPA_Logo.jpg
550KB, 1024x1041px
>>60043526
By the way this picture is real, is how they see themselves in some parts of the government.

To those who don't believe it, do your job and google it yourself.
>>
Is the 8 chan cyber board gone or am I retarded?
>>
>>60045026
I don't trust that place
>>
>>60045072
In what way? Like you think people posting their are doing it as part of their "job"?
>>
>>60045026
they got hacked on april fools and all the boards were melted down. that may be it, or it may've died a while back idk
>>
>>60045138
there*
>>
>>60045145
I remember checking on april fools and thought it was joke. Haven't followed up until just now.
>>
>>60045138
8 chan just plain sucks.
Basically, a bunch of /b/shits got mad over not being able to post child pornography and left to start their own Reddit-style infinite-forums thing with localized authority.

7 chan is also Cucksville.
>>
>>60045185
I heard the tech board on it was pretty good. They even discovered that imgur was being hacked.
>>
>>60045434
7 or 8c?
>>
>>60045575
ocho
>>
>>60045026
it's there, your dumb
>>
>>60021750
I like novels that center around hackers, examples like "Stealing The Network", what's other good book(s) in this genre which features a lot on hackers?
>>
>Much talk of sec, none about electronic warfare.

Not ready to submit, yet?
>>
>>60047070
>english
>>
>>60047120
>Putting that "e" into English
>>
>>60045797
Have you read the Sprawl Trilogy?
>>
Top 5 best cyberpunk games /cyb/?
>>
>>60049165
In no particular order from the toppest of my head...
>Shadowrun (Dragonfall~=HK>>>Returns?)
>System Shock 2(1?)
>Deus Ex generally
>That cyb as shit level from TimeSplitters 2
>Shadowrun SNES

If you hate elves you're outta luck.
>>
File: NeoElf.jpg (86KB, 554x819px) Image search: [Google]
NeoElf.jpg
86KB, 554x819px
>>60049238
Neo elves might perhaps be OK?
>>
>>60049752
They're like twice as insufferable.
>>
File: NeoElf2.jpg (68KB, 554x819px) Image search: [Google]
NeoElf2.jpg
68KB, 554x819px
>>60049780
How about adding cybernetics and pouring them into skin tight bodysuits?
>>
How'd y'all do in Plaid's ctf? Only non-trivial one I got was Multicast. Found the attack needed for Common but I didn't know how to implement it.
Playing with a good team is fun. Makes me feel like I'm standing on the shoulders of giants.
>>
>>60040329
https://youtu.be/T2ebwS8UohE
from
https://youtu.be/sPZxkhLoukI
>>
Anyone here knows what happened to Patrick Clark, who made some Cyberpunk zines?
>>
File: shot0001.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shot0001.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>60049165
Detroit: Become Human, the developers made a short film and it was a hit, they made the game as a continuation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvqiGm0wz8
Mirror's Edge
System Shock
Deus Ex
Wipeout (it will always live in our hearts)

BONUS: Orwell (this is the present we choose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuNZlHGC74).

>>60040329
Wipeout theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc
>>
>>60051657
By the way here is a list of addons to increase security as a complement of my other post >>60024152

(Cross-)Site Request, Anti-XSS, Trackers, Referer, Cookies: uMatrix (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/).
Security Settings: Privacy Settings (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-settings/).
User-Agent: Random Agent Spoofer (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/random-agent-spoofer/), (User-Agent JS Fixer https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-js-fixer/).
Plugin Enumeration: Disable plugin enum (https://github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer/issues/283, see Mechazawa script).
Content Delivery Blocker: Decentraleyes (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/decentraleyes/).
URI Leak: No Resource URI Leak (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-resource-uri-leak/).
Canvas-Fingerprinting: Canvas Defender (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-canvas-fingerprinting/).
SSL (strict HTTPS): HTTPS by default (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/https-by-default/).
URL Deobfuscator: Pure URL (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pure-url/).
Google Redirection: Google search link fix (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-search-link-fix/).

r8 h8 m8s
>>
This thread is fucking garbage
Literally none of you have talked about actual security
Watching 'hacker movies' and reading the 2600 doesn't make you a security expert, sorry guys
Talk about windows internals, anti debugging tricks, burned 0day or cves you have found, fuzzing tools you wrote/work with
>>
>>60051817
you can enforce strict HTTPS in umatrix by default
>>
I am under the impression someone here is dedicated to undermine any progress in this thread.

We had a couple of these toxic people during the OWS, unless you use the report button he won't go away.
>>
>>60051901
Doesn't work as well as HTTPS by default.
>>
>>60051958
What progress
Look at this thread, there's nothing useful posted here
>>
Toxic troll is toxic
>>
>>60052036
Spouting memes isn't going to make this thread better, junior
>>
You can bet this guy is going to excuse his behavior arguing anything posted is not good enough
>>
>>60052056
Oh you're probably one of those "cyber" retards whose never found 0day in his life lmao
Keep roleplaying bud
>>
Let me say concisely what this guy wants. He wants someone stupid enough to reveal he has committed a cybercrime.

You first baiting troll.
>>
File: 1492870253612-pol.gif (2MB, 360x359px) Image search: [Google]
1492870253612-pol.gif
2MB, 360x359px
>>60031690
>that pic
I'm tripping balls senpai
>>
>>60052120
Nothing I posted in
>>60051871
Is illegal to talk about, if you want to talk about real security, that is what it is
Finding and selling 0day is not illegal in the slightest, who do you think the main consumer is?
>>
Before someone falls for this fucking troll, I say we don't need to fall for the FBI bait.

There is plenty of room to talk about "theoretical" stuff without falling for the bait.

Like https://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~hopper/lci_ccs_poster.pdf
>>
>>60052195
Garbage paper
"Woooow when I have 500k bots I can ddos a site WOOOOOOOW!"

Here's a good paper
http://www.uninformed.org/?v=6&a=1
>>
>>60052303
>garbage
is talking about taking down the backbone. I guess you know better
>>
>>60052372
>If I get enough clients I can flood a connection, who would have guessed!
>>
>>60052433
>attacking only the routing
>reducing number of needed clients
>strategic strikes
how would YOU do it?
>>
>>60052502
Router 0day and actually compromise the servers
Routers are some of the worst programmed devices on the planet, contractors assign junior employees to finding 0day on them to learn
>>
>>60052560
>out of my ass
good idea anon, I give you the part about routers though
>>
>>60052588
Knocking down 'the internet' is far too loud anyways, nobody is going to do it
Most gov orgs aren't over public comm channels anyways, it wouldn't effect them
The entire dev-lan is airgapped for us 3 letters
>>
>>60052706
actual good point, is a bit of meta but the strategic value itself is beyond my imagination unless is mission critical data like the one used by the 3 letters

I guess this is just the age of data brokerage and stealing, beyond that is only real world damage like the stuxnet stuff
>>
>>60052757
A far more interesting attack would be on the Wall Street stock boxes they use for the super fast automated day trading
Slowing down one of those would lose that company millions almost instantly
>>
>>60052834
You made me think, like actually using my brain, because the stock market if filled by amoeba-like bastards and I am not sure the biggest fish is solely inside WS and has other negotiation channels. If the establishment has a way to take advantage you end up with an even tighter oligarchy.

It could be almost as bad as eliminating all credit record like in the Mr Robot wet dream, and that shitty series strangely touched the reality but from the wrong wrong angle. They wanted to destroy something too much like the real world Iron Mountain, a data storage known to be deliberately arson to cover money laundering, fraud and tax evasion.

Anyway, this is the realm of economists.
>>
>>60052977
>this is the realm of economists
*black hats

I correct myself :)
>>
Does anyone know if there is a public copy of the source code for Zeus? I want to analyze it after I'm done with Mirai.
>>
any noisemakers have recommendations for /cyb/ plugins for making bleepy sounds? the ones i have are dogshit and i'm not good enough to make my own samples
>>
>>60053078
sure thing m8 https://github.com/Visgean/Zeus
>>
>>60040329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcEzhzfH_n4
>>
>>60051958
i dont think anyone is activly tyring to undermine the thread. if they want to ruin the thread then they would spam with shit posts or spam with loli. but you should be open to people critique the qualitiy of the thread though
>>
>>60053109
Thanks man.
>>
>>60026523
People care about your GPA after you graduate/?
>>
>>60053947
C's may get degrees, but if you have to choose between hiring someone with a perfect 4.0 and a 2.5, which are you going to hire, all else being equal? the 2.5 is probably an underachiever
>>
>>60026523
Welcome 2 Irvine I hope u like crowdstrike
>>
>>60053947
Usually only for a short time after. If you're four years out of college with some actual work experience they won't want your GPA. At least, that's what I've been told.
>>
What do you thini about lainchan
>>
>>60052834
I think you look too much on the technical possibilities and not enough on the historical realities.

There have been problems, flash crashes, fat fingers and whatever they have called it. In nearly all cases I can remember the authorities reversed the actions by cancelling the orders. It is therefore more likely than not that hostile actions against a company would be corrected/compensated/rewound. The financial system is simply too complex for any government to risk. Everyone has their hands in everyone else's pockets and the mechanism for this is big finance and deals.
>>
>>60026314
I loved it
>>
I'm thinking of going into security but I'm not sure what specifically and what the industry is like. I have decent understanding of system architecture (mostly ARM programming unfortunately, but I understand how a buffer overflow works and general concepts well enough), networking (admittedly this is one of my weakest spots) and linux as well as some expierence doing CTFs (mostly script kiddie shit using metasploit) and some basic server management (I own a VPS and have a couple things running in it). I'm not sure sysadmin would be stimulating enough to be interesting, but I'm also lazy as shit, though I do enjoy programming. Maybe pen testing or exploit analysis/writing? What else could I do? I don't think I have the maths for crypto, maybe consulting? I don't know anything about that. What other /cyb/ or /netsec/ related jobs are there? Otherwise I was thinking of studying ML/AI and possibly go into academia or research but I'm not too sure, though I'm not so sure employers would care about what I majored in. Thoughts?
>>
>>60054465
For them to bail out the company they would have to be aware of the exploit. If all you care abiut is destruction, 1000 paper cuts may be more useful than a nuke.
>>
>>60054239
if it wasn't dead as fuck it'd be better
>>
>>60054546
It is now nearly 10 years ago (and we are still not out of it yet) that Lehman Brothers tanked. The US gov was willing to kill the piggy bank to bail out banks.

They do not need to know what happened but they know they have to keep the system up. Also there are old contingency plans for many such eventualities up to and including a nuclear WW3.

It is fair to assume that a trillion dollar bailout would have the feds out in force to catch whoever was behind any willful damage.
>>
a /cyb/ discord server started from a diff 4chan community server, figured it might be relevant here - https://discord.gg/rd9Ybpe

>inb4 discord sux
>>
>>60056612
discor sux
>>
>>60056612
discord sux and is not cyb. irc is cyb
>>
>>60026885
>lain
seph pls go
>>
File: 1485329700575.jpg (475KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1485329700575.jpg
475KB, 1600x1067px
bump
>>
Reminder that cyberpunk is for delusional faggots
>>
>>60021750
Y'all should check out 2ton.com.au

just ssh 2ton.com.au, make a new user and join the g channel.

or make a cyber/cyb channel, I guess.

It's basically a chat program where you can see people as they're typing, based off old chat clients from the 80s/90s and shit. It's cyber as fuck. Written in pure x86_64 ASM.
>>
>>60056612
discord sux m8, IRC ftw
>>
>>60040540
OP should add this for next time
>>
>>60026885
>https://wirechan.org/
what the fuck is that?
>>
>>60024256
LastPass encrypts everything locally before it sends it up. They are not able to see any of your passwords, since your master password is what encrypts everything. Even if their servers were completely compromised, all they would get is a bunch of gibberish. It does all of the encrypting/decrypting locally. That's also how it can work offline.
>>
>>60059060
b-but what if you like both
>>
>>60059434
>crack one password
>allows access to all of a user's accounts
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>60027858

It was all an elaborate ruse to teach appleman the importance of secure backups.
>>
What distro should I use? Is xubuntu fine?
>>
>>60060359
Go for the best of all worlds, Devuan. Is easy like Debian, is init independent and you can install all the desktop environments you want.
>>
>>60026314
It's really good.
>>
>>60035938
Please do scan. If you can post a link, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
>>
>>60035938
i'd appreciate a scan too, the book's fucking expensive. >$40?
>>
>>60059017
>tfw not intelligent enough to know how to not get doxxed connecting
would really like to.. i'm an ssh noob though
>>
>>60059434
it's just not a good idea to have anything to do with them. they have a giant bulls eye painted on their back
>>
>>60027622
Ya netsec usually is just for network security usually. They could have gone by cyber security, or info sec (which at the end of the day is the most basic term)
>>
>>60032505
>>60032173
>cat file.txt| grep 'pattern'
please don't do this. grep can take a file path as input...
>>
>>60061806
that was clearly just an example for pipes though. |grep is much more useful to know.
>>
>Thread will end soon
To all of you asking what distro to use, there is one simple answer.
I assume you ask out of ambition to learn. I assume you post in this thread because you're a security enthusiast (or a cyber-faggot, which will fit right in with my answer). What if I told you that you could become more knowledgable than the people you take advice from on this board, in under 2 weeks (at least most people) ?
Just install hardened gentoo. Seriously. Windows is fucking scum and if you think differently your mileage will vary.

I seriously need a new forum guys. I took 8ch under consideration like half a week before it was hacked and I guess now it's gone to shit? All I care about is a /tech/ board. 8ch's was looking alright but rip I guess
>>
>>60026523
Wikileaks?
>>
>>60061989
8ch is up again you fucking nong
>>
Do you guys support Trump? I'm not well versed on the politics myself but I wanted to see what all of you, who seem to be well aware of political realities, think about what's going on in America.
>>
>>60062041
I support you going back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>60062079
But I never go there. I'm just curious what you guys think of the American politics currently. I respect your opinions on the matter because you have unique vantage points.
>>
>>60054851
Speaking of collapse, some seem to think things are a bit unstable already:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170418-how-western-civilisation-could-collapse
>>
>>60062112
I think politics need to be on >>>/pol/ and if you want to know what that is, you need to go the fuck back to >>>/pol/

Is this confusing to you?
>>
>>60062129
But why not here? Doesn't cyberpunk involve an intense awareness of intelligence agencies and the politics involved?
>>
>>60062189
Because of shitposts. Just go back to the containment board.
>>
>>60062199
Aight man. I'll just wait for another day or have an eye out for opportunities elsewhere. Going to /pol/ would defeat the purpose.
>>
>>60062241
Doing it here would defeat the purpose, it would defeat whatever thread you're in. You must be incredibly new to not know these things or actively trying to derail this one.
>>
>>60062255
I browse /cyb/ on and off between months, so yeah, effectively "new".
>>
I don't know how to program, but I use GNU/Linux on all my main PCs. What should my next step be? Also, I may start a networking job soon. Hopefully I'll learn something new.
>>
>>60062376
Well my advice is to get the hang of wireshark cause it's like 90% of the networking diagnostics you'll ever need.
>>
>>60024152
>Level 4: Use GNU/Linux. Start with Lubuntu for easy mode (stay away from something called BSD).
Why stay away from BSD?
>>
>>60062431
That whole thing was trolly.
>>
What if you encrypted your harddrive with a key stored on edible material that your stomach will dissolve.
When the party van rolls up you shut off computer and eat the key.
It's crazy enough that it might just work.
>>
>>60062443
I just noticed as I got further down the list.
>Level 15: Tunnel all your communications through i2p, not Tor, to navigate internet.
>>
>>60062456
i feel like that would work
>>
>>60062112
Not them but you would get a far better response if you framed the question in terms related to topic: cyberpunk. For there is one. Namely that cyberpunk arose from the political (and also military) uncomfy situation with Reagan/Thatcher on one side, and the military might of the Soviet and the financial might of Japan on the other.

So how does this mirror today? Trump, like Reagan, was an outsider, was considered sub par, unstable and unpredictable. Many talk. We do not know much yet. May has been compared to Thatcher but that looks a bit strained.

What clearly is different is that China now represents both military and financial might and like Russia and Japan in the past, now looks a bit unstable.

Cyberpunk days are probably here again.
>>
>>60062456
it would work but see as how other cases have played out people get charged with crimes regaurdless. oh to live in an age where encryption makes you suspisous by default
>>
>>60038262
>>60036613
>>60036562
>>60039901
>>60040014
its red teaming. good lord, you said youve been writing papers on this topic, obviously they cant be much good.
>>
>>60063052
black hat is being malicious, when you get paid to break into a persons company or site that is not malicious. on top of that most red teams opperate within bondries created by the employer
>>
What phone would you guys buy for max 200€ that respects your privacy? Such as no fingerprint scanner, removable battery, easy root and such. The only one I was able to find is the LG G3, but the Meizus have very easy root access. What would you guys recommend?
>>
File: KfThLoi.jpg (628KB, 3223x2836px) Image search: [Google]
KfThLoi.jpg
628KB, 3223x2836px
does anyone have any /cyb/ related projects? one of my newest projects is working on a non-invasive open source BCI (cant let the megacorps have all of the fun).

pic unrelated
>>
>>60063171
it is a phone it automatically do not repect your privacy
>>
>>60026368
bruss hackernews is about startup and javascript "hacking", not hacking as youre asking about.
>>
>>60054496
Hey man, you have a lot of pressure on yourself. Just take it easy. Learn what you want and what you find interesting. It doesn't make sense if you are forcing yourself. It kills the fun.
After a while you will find your path and profession. :)
>>
>>60063171
no such thing.
check out John McAfee's smartphone practices
>>
>>60047070
you read posts by the grugq? he talks about cyber warfare.
>>
>>60052834
>Slowing down one of those would lose that company millions almost instantly
And they have the finance to ensure terrible things happen to you if you do this.

Popping defence boxes would get you a longer life span.
>>
>>60052977
>and that shitty series strangely touched the reality but from the wrong wrong angle
i thought they did it wonderfully, answering the question i always had atr the end of fight club; how much worse is this going to make things?

im glad they explored that. im not glad the second season sucked tho.
>>
>>60053964
like salaries, you dont have to disclose your GPA.
>>
ettercap and sslstrip in 2017. are they viable at all? i cant get them to run in any browser ive got installed on any machine im using;l they all know im feeding them false certificates.
>>
>>60033508
>I liked that they gave Batou and Mokoto back stories, although they did dumb it down for today's audiences.
They are completely different characters though. The movies was not good, but at least they got Batou almost right.
>>
>>60045434
Yeah, it was good had much less consumerism than here and some really good discussion.
>>
a-anyone /sdr/ h-here?
>>
>>60064072
sucking donkey rectum?
>>
>>60064112
s-s-s-software defined r-radio anon

it seemed like the kind of thing /cyb/ would be interested in considering the applications but nobody ever talks about it here
>>
>>60064072
Sure.

Did you check the pasta?

t.LicensedAmateur
>>
>>60035938
This one?
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=53aae2ae81bb7e2e0be8e0a63c4948e7
>>
>>60064165
I couldn't find anything in the pasta about SDR.
>>
>>60063862
newer tools like bettercap, mitmf are more plausible, but HSTS is a pain in the ass with modern browsers ..
>>
>>60064328
It was in an old paste I wrote. IT will take me a few hours to find it. For some very strange reasons it cannot be located by Google or Duck Duck Go, and only occasionally by Bing.
>>
File: 1492846803683.png (100KB, 844x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492846803683.png
100KB, 844x720px
The /sec/ CTF team is participating in some meme ctf made by highschoolers (angstromctf.com), pretty much perfect for beginners, feel free to come discuss about the problems on our IRC channel.

#/g/sec @ Rizon
>>
>>60062431
Because is more insecure than people say it is

>>60062443
You are being trolly

>>60062459
There is a good point in using i2p instead of tor, what are you even claiming
>>
>>60064072
>>60064126
>>60064165
>>60064560
I like the idea of diy stuff in the pasta, proves we are not posers
>>
>>60062564
This is a more in depth response than I was expecting, I appreciate the feedback.

On one hand, I see people referring to Trump as the dictator, the one controlling the strings, as if he's the one that will drive us into a dystopian society. Those comments have always seemed off to me however, as I never really saw the evidence in them, so as you suggest, more information would be required. Of course I've also seen the comments about the "doomsday" scenarios if Hillary were elected. With my knowledge of politics, I can't really judge whether the time would be ripe for more people to be interested in cyberpunk, but perhaps something might catch on as soon as Cyberpunk 2077 comes out. Perhaps it may be the trigger for a relative explosion. However it does seem to me that more and more people are becoming interested in both politics and works that are at least tangentially related to cyberpunk, though it may not be on an explosive rate yet.
>>
>>60063265
That seems nice and all, but in practice will it lead anywhere other than being a source of education for yourself? The technology isn't very sophisticated at all right now and to get any more sophisticated would most likely require resources outside of the capacity obtainable by most people.

Have you heard of Openwater? What about the projects that Regina Dugan (former Darpa Director) is working on at Facebook? I would assume that those are what should interest you.
>>
>>60063265
i'm going to write a substitution cipher cracker in python. shouldn't be hard, just to automatically use character frequency to find the most likely solution
>>
>>60063333
i respect those digits
>>
>>60062459
https://geti2p.net/en/about/intro
>>
>>60024152

Your list is a good start, though I have some personal recommendations.

>Level 6: Buy a router compatible with LibreCMC and install LibreCMC.
Use RouterOS, PFSense, or any other router distribution, the more community audited the better, but don't limit yourself to one.

>Level 7: Buy a VPN service in some privacy friendly country.
Buy a VPS in a non-extradition, privicy friendly country under a different name, with a good way of not getting traced with payments, then set up your own VPN server that way so you can audit all the traffic.

>Level 14: Use Exim in your own server for e-mail.
I recommend switching out Exim in favour of OpenSMTPD

Add:

>Level X block inbound AND outbound traffic by default and only allow what you need to be using.

Windows users can experience this by installing TinyWall (wrapper for windows firewall).
>>
are there any sources to read about irc? like how to stay anonymous how it works etc
>>
post useful scripts

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
if(argc!=2)
{
printf("Incorrect argument count\n");
return 1;
}
int tabWidth = atoi(argv[1]);

char c;
int spaceCount = 0;
while((c = getchar())!= EOF)
{
if(c == ' ')
{
++spaceCount;
}
else if (spaceCount > 0)
{
int tabsToPrint = spaceCount / tabWidth;
int spacesToPrint = spaceCount - (tabsToPrint * tabWidth);
for(int i = 0; i < tabsToPrint; ++i) putchar('\t');
for(int i = 0; i < spacesToPrint; ++i) putchar(' ');
spaceCount = 0;
putchar(c);
}
else putchar(c);
}
}

use this shit all the time because python is so up itself about whitespace. funny that it'd probably take 1/3rd the lines in python than C but i didn't know python at the time. lol. replaces spaces with tabs
>>
>>60065126
It will probably be nothing more than an educational experience for myself. It's good to try new things though.

>Have you heard of Openwater? What about the projects that Regina Dugan (former Darpa Director) is working on at Facebook?
I'm checking out alot of stuff that others have done so I'll probably get to them sometime.
>>
>>60065985
Just so you're aware, Openwater and what Regina Dugan are working on are things that are a bit far out there. They're not something that would likely be useful to you, but they're interesting to know about, just to be aware of what is being done right now.
>>
>>60065804
Thanks for the tips

>>60065941
No but maybe I can give you a start, one thing to remember is that some servers have different ways to guarantee anonymity, like in freenode I suggest you use this guide https://freenode-feminism.github.io/cloak/ and for rizon this one https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=VHost
>>
>>60051995
that's a matter of perspective based on your current merit, is it not senpai?
>>
>>60066084
On a second thought, I may work on a simple IRC guide or a list of links, that way we can get more people into IRC itself
>>
>>60066084
>freenode-feminism
>>
>>60066251
that'd be pretty cool. i'd appreciate it
>>
>>60063171
Not for that price but the phone less prone to cyber surveillance is from technoetic https://tehnoetic.com/tehnoetic-s3-phone-replicant
>>
>>60063862
Install your own certificate on the machine manually. This is how organisations MITM their employees HTTPS traffic.
>>
An anon posted cyber news last round, still here?
I'll post some to warm up. Cyber days are definitely shaping up.

Facebook wants to read your brain.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39648788

Elon Musk wants to drill deep
https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-lays-out-plans-to-meld-brains-and-computers-1492738741
>>
>>60067713
I guess Ghost was right about the facebook shit. I hope that never comes to fruition.
>>
>>60032232
>Throw your resume at peeps
>Eventually someone calls you back
>???
>Profit

Assuming you can get as much experience as you think you can and carry yourself well, you should be just as hireable as the next guy, given the interviews I've been to all had practicals.
>t. cs college brat trying to get a job

List your top ten security firms;
apply(accepted ? congrats : reapply in a couple months);
>>
File: download-21-1024x640.jpg (200KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
download-21-1024x640.jpg
200KB, 1024x640px
>>60067713
I for one welcome our Facebook overlords. They're not ALL fully closed, as they're making things like their deep learning framework open source, the same thing thing they're using for their own AI which had impressive performance. That benefits both them and other developers.

Still, of course, their actual consumer-facing software is proprietary. We have to be vigilant and still find a good balance between privacy and user benefits. And this consideration isn't about Facebook, the social media platform, but about what Facebook is rolling out in future VR, AR, AI, and other hardware/software products and services that will almost certainly have a big share in the market and will offer certain advantages.

Thankfully though the technologies are not yet mature so there are many other companies making investments in these areas. We should always have other options available unless something goes terribly wrong in the market (and probably government, at that point).

This is assuming that VR, AR, mixed reality, and AI are the future of personal computing, which it almost certainly will be.
>>
>>60032232
>Everyone who isn't a retard know you don't learn much in academia, it gives you a few guidelines and a best it proves you have the potential to actually learn more on your own.
Wow!

Which fine academic establishment did you grace with your presence, anon?
>>
>>60068590
everything is on internet
nuff said
>>
I've never seen SE Lain
>>
>>60068615
it's on youtube, legal and subbed. only thing is there's a funimation watermark. no dubbing
>>
File: 1492744329552.jpg (125KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492744329552.jpg
125KB, 1520x1080px
It'd be great for a successful combination of both /sec/ and /cyb/ to state in the OP the /sec/ stuff.

>it's /sec/ not /netsec/
>pastebin is https://pastebin.com/UY7RxEqp
>OP https://pastebin.com/JqYCjiag (just the CTF team part is enough)
>state the existance of #/g/sec
>>
>>60064328
OK, found it:
https://pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm
>>
>>60069152
*pets lain*
>>
>>60069152
do a new
>>
File: QE9sJ3n.jpg (275KB, 1024x1366px) Image search: [Google]
QE9sJ3n.jpg
275KB, 1024x1366px
>>60068121
finally. a reason to use this image.
>>
new bread
>>60069754
>>
New thread.

>>60069750
>>60069750
>>60069750
>>
>>60069757
>>60069755
really
>>
>>60069757
This was created before and better formated so go to this?
>>
>>60027863
Hacking isn't illegal anon
>>
>>60023913
its all shit, the internet will never be interesting ever again
>>
>>60024144
ruby isn't good for anything

its just popular amongst people that don't really know how to make websites, but the security is non-existent.

you can't even find people that develop in ruby that aren't based in san fran and going bankrupt once the tech bubble collapses.

the best language is my own language that I build a compiler for, but its not public at the moment due to trying to develop my own cross platform dev tool for newbies to programming.

its really a nice easy language

for instance every command is english

I tell my language simple sentences and it interprets what I mean and does it.

I tell it to gas the jews and it even calculates how long it would take to gas the jews, then I ask it how long would it take to kill 6 million jews, and it comes up with the answer.
>>
>>60070455
>for instance every command is english
>I tell my language simple sentences and it interprets what I mean and does it.
GASP, your language is COBOL??!!?!
THE HORROR!!1!11
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.