[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 36

Previous thread: >>59885045
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
File: 1471087221209.png (35KB, 581x431px) Image search: [Google]
1471087221209.png
35KB, 581x431px
Watch the interview Stallman did with Bryan Lunduke today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0y0oXU8YNk
>>
Now that Ubuntu uses systemd-resolved how do I configure it to use Unbound+DNSCrypt?
Will disabliing systemd-resolved be enough? I already have Unbound+DNSCrypt installed and running, everything was fine before updating to 17.04
I should just migrate to Arch or something Gentoo-based
>>
File: HOWTOMAKETEA.jpg (80KB, 625x728px) Image search: [Google]
HOWTOMAKETEA.jpg
80KB, 625x728px
> use mplayer

mplayer -shuffle -playlist playlist.m3u

to shuffle my playlist.

Only problem with this setup is that if I accidentally skip a song I like and try to go back, it goes to a random song. Basically no difference between the back and skip options.

How do I remedy this? mplayer is perfect in every other way.
>>
>>59897608
Arch is always good, if you don't mind a bit of setting up.

Gentoo is more time-consuming even after setup, with the compiling and everything.

If you don't want systemd do Funtoo (Gentoo-based) or Devuan (Debian with no systemd).
>>
what a good intro to using parallel?

mean like a one liner just explaining it quickly? using man would be too easy
>>
>>59897608
afaik systemd-resolved should respect /etc/resolv.conf if you set it.
But better read this:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-resolved.service.html
>>
File: keenpaper.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
keenpaper.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Just stopping in to bump this thread again.

> posted from my Fedora 24 machine
>>
Despite having guest addons,i cannot copy past using virtualbox. I've tried both ways each and bidirectional.What would cause it to not work?
>>
>>59898041
>I've tried both ways each and bidirectional
Did you turn it on in the settings or did you just try to do it? Consider ESL classes.
>>
>>59898272
No shit faggot, of course i fucking saved it
>>
>>59898457
>of course i fucking saved it
Your English is very poor. Go somewhere that people speak the same language as you.
>>
File: arrangements.png (350KB, 915x478px) Image search: [Google]
arrangements.png
350KB, 915x478px
>>59898508
Quit being a dick. He's got a legitimate question and he's coherent enough to understand what it is.

> I can't copy/paste in VirtualBox, either copying stuff from the VM to another application, or from another application into the VM

Good enough for you?
>>
>>59898542
>Did you turn it on in the settings or did you just try to do it?

>No shit faggot, of course i fucking saved it

It's not going well

>>59898457
Did you reboot the virtual machine after changing the setting?
>>
File: 1444624973319.png (92KB, 778x440px) Image search: [Google]
1444624973319.png
92KB, 778x440px
>>59898630
Valid point, actually. I'll keep out of this one.
>>
I just installed Debian and I have been having trouble installing Adobe Flash. I have the "flashplugin-nonfree" installed but it's not showing up in any of my browsers.
>>
>>59898884
Why in god's holy name are you installing Flash?
>>
What's a good option for a lightweight but very customizable music player? I just installed Xubuntu and I'd like some suggestions, hopefully something clear of botnet but if it literally only tracks what I listen to like Foobar I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>59899016
mplayer, VLC
>>
>>59898884
>installing botnet
found you're problem
>>59899016
mpd WITHOUT ncmpcpp
>>
>>59899016
cmus to be honest
>>
>>59899016
DeadBeeF, if you want to go l33t then mpd and a frontend or cmus
mpv works great too
Don't use >>59899055 they're shit and shouldn't exist in 2017
Otherwise you can just keep using Foobar through Wine
>>
Think I fucked up; I'm currently installing Arch, when I try to generate the fstab it tells me zsh: is a directory: /mnt/etc/fstab/ but when I try to check the directory it says the same thing except "not a directory"
>>
>>59899307
...post the command you're using.

I'm not going to lie, last time I installed arch my BAC was hovering around .63, but I'll help as best I can.
>>
>>59897483

i notice richard stallman acts like a prick if you get something about his philosophy wrong
>>
>>59899330
# genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

Right from the wiki, so I'm not sure. I don't even know if there is a problem, or if it's just telling me that it worked. I'm able to open the file with nano, it's just that the wiki didn't mention anything about that message showing up after the command.
>>
Actually, I'm not sure what exactly I'm opening in nano because I have no idea what the file is supposed to look like. It just says /etc/fstab: static file system information and then the options below it.
>>
>>59899361
ls -l /mnt/etc/fstab | curl -F c=@- 'https://ptpb.pw/?u=1'

Post the output.
>>
>>59899361
Are you mounting anything to .zsh? Can you boot into the Arch install with no problems?

Does the fstab look regular?
>>
>>59898020

Who are you quoting fag?
>>
>>59899606
I was just saying what I was doing.

The wallpaper is Ryan Eggold.
>>
>>59899426
>>59899443
Well, I'm just going to assume it all worked out because I followed the rest of the install guide and was able to boot right in, hopefully it was just me not understanding what I was looking at or typing and there was no problem in the first place.
>>
>>59899673
Glad to hear it.
>>
Does hyperthreading (8 threads, 4 cores) make much of a difference for compiling with GCC (gentoo) compared to the same clock with only 4 threads and cores?
>>
File: Q.png (533KB, 809x456px) Image search: [Google]
Q.png
533KB, 809x456px
Is there a way to backup my files on Windows (about 200gb worth) and then get a fresh start switching to Linux? Sorry for the dumb question I'm new to /g/
>>
i can't login to my user in this Arch vm. it says "unable to execute login command"

i can login as root. i have the user added and I have edited sudoers so it has permissions. password is correct and I have changed it like 4 or 5 times trying to figure out what's going on.

halp
>>
Will I be fine with just encrypting my home partition? I'm an idiot and didn't set up any disk encryption beforehand.
>>
>>59900140
Also my configurations are messed up. kms family.
>>
>>59900140
Why would you even need an encrypted home partition?
>>
>>59897466
WHEN IS THE NEW GNOME GOING TO HIT THE ARCH REPO

ITS ALREADY AT .1 OFFICIAL
>>
File: IMG_8269.png (42KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8269.png
42KB, 625x626px
>>59900209
>>
I'm looking to switch distros. I'm currently on Arch but I'm fed up of having to reboot almost every time I turn on my computer because the kernel got updated. What do you recommend if I want reasonably recent software with nothing but security updates? I'm thinking OpenSUSE Leap because Plasma appears to shit itself with everything else. Alternatively, is there a way to make KDE Connect work with another DE that isn't XFCE? Or a way to achieve desktop effects in XFCE? Nothing fancy, I just want minimized windows to show they're going to the task bar. I don't know why but it triggers me when they just disappear.
>>
The trackpad doesn't work while using graphical install while installing Debian on my Lenovo laptop.
Will it also not work after finishing the installation?
Is there a way to fix it while installing or do I just download the appropriate drivers after installation?
>>
>>59900140
define "fine"

>>59900160
then why not just back up the stuff worth backing up and reinstall with whole-disk encryption?
>>
>>59900011
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Do you want to just install Linux, but keep all the files you have now? If so, all you need is an external hard drive to copy all your files to.
>>
File: dogs.jpg (634KB, 692x528px) Image search: [Google]
dogs.jpg
634KB, 692x528px
>>59900270
You could try Fedora, which involves executing a dnf command every 7-13 months to keep supported (new version comes out every six months, only two most recent are supported).

OpenSuse is pretty good too.

>>59897644
shameless self-bump of own question.
>>
Is there any support in linux for parallel thumbnailing?

It's so fucking slow waiting for a whole folder of doujinshi in cbz files to thumbnail.
>>
>>59900308
I meant that my test configurations in the virtual machine were not working. There's nothing wrong with my actual setup and I don't want to have to reinstall for an automatic encryption if I can do it manually.
>>
>>59900140
No.

You should encrypt your root to keep your system files safe, and encrypt your swap in case sensitive information gets stored there during suspend and whatnot.

Encrypting /home will keep your stored stuff safe, but sensitive information can often end up in swap, where it will then be vulnerable, and leaving your system files insecure is begging for trouble.
>>
>>59900266
No, really, from what I understand if someone has access to your home partition you're fucked regardless.
>>
>>59900257

1. Package it yourself, if you're lucky all you have to do is change the version in the PKGBUILD
2. Offer extensive testing to the package to help them weed out bugs
3. Use the testing repository
>>
>>59900270

>I'm fed up of having to reboot almost every time I turn on my computer because the kernel got updated.
You will have to do that on every other distribution. If you knew how to do live kernel patching/updating, you certainly wouldn't be asking that question right now, which makes your whole point moot.
>>
>>59897466
Can someone give me a quick rundown on this whole systemd autism drama that's going on?

Haven't really been paying attention to Linux/gnu lately
>>
>>59900302

Install the X libinput driver.
>>
>>59900357
>>59900359
Alright. Guess I'll go FDE then, this is a pain.
>>
>>59900382
>3. Use the testing repository
the only problem with that is that I'm worried about losing track of my versions when it hits the stable repo and I turn off testing. I guess everthing should theoretically be sync'd, so even if I have to downgrade moving back it should be ok, but...
>>
>>59900270
slackware
>>
>>59900406
Which distro? Shouldn't be that much of a hassle.
>>
>>59900417

There is a special GNOME specific testing repository, you don't have to enable the whole testing repository.
Also, you can selectively download from repositories, look it up in the Wiki.
>>
>>59900436
openSUSE Leap
>>
>>59900453
yeah, I meant just gnome-testing. "just" gnome is still a lot of programs though
>>
>>59900357
he could just encrypt his swap in addition to his home folder.
>>
Guy who made the post about Arch earlier here, I just restarted the process and the fstab generated with no problem the second time through. All I'm really having trouble with is what drivers to install. The database file for "multilib" doesn't exist, and I don't know if I need amdgpu or ati, it's an HD8570D
>>
Ubuntu or mint for starting linux OS?
>>
>>59900567

It's explained on the Wiki article for Xorg and AMD cards.
>>
>>59900572
Ubuntu, Mint is a horrible fusion of Debian and Ubuntu (which is already a derivative of Debian), don't use Debian either unless it's old as hell hardware
>>
>>59897466
Will HURD be faster than Linux?
How long until I can ditch Linux and migrate to HURD?
>>
>>59900603
Well, it started in the 80's and only got basic sound support in 2016, so...

I would guess somewhere around 2080. Long after Stallman, Linus, Gates, and all the rest are dead.

Even you and I might not be alive.
>>
>>59900583
Not sure if I did it right, but for some reason after searching for the driver it installed. Hopefully it works once I get xfce working.
>>
>>59900637
Has anyone here ever even tried HURD?

I tried to install Debian HURD a few years ago and it wouldn't start on my laptop.
>>
>>59897644
Oh, fuck it, I just switched to MPD with MPC.

Is there a way to do keybindings for MPC without going into my DE settings?
>>
>>59900601
Linux Mint Cinnamon > Ubuntu in my experience. If you decide to go with Ubuntu go Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu though, default Ubuntu is really bad.
>>
>>59900739

>is there a way to configure this without configuring it
>>
Does anyone here use a Motif desktop (CDE or MWM)? I know this is old software, but does it really not support full screen applications?
>>
>>59900768
Pretty much what I expected.
>>
>>59900834
Anyone have any idea how to pipe the output of "mpc current" to zenity?

The idea is that I can use a keybinding to generate a popup window saying what mpd is playing.
>>
File: 1492214923636.jpg (273KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492214923636.jpg
273KB, 800x1000px
>>59900806
Stop using outdated software.

>>59900986
Start using conky.
>>
>>59900806
If you want that CDE aesthetic, use FVWM.
>>
>>59901209

That's actually something I'm looking at right now. FVWM seems to have a great early 90's aesthetic and there's a CDE theme available for it too.
>>
what syntax should I use to tell 7zip that I want to compress 3 files in the same archive? without using a file list.
>>
>>59900655
Me again, after the driver I installed xfce, ufw, compton, which froze everything except the mouse pointer until I rebooted, and failed to install yaourt/AUR or whichever it is. The actual steps are pretty straightforward, but damn this is hard. I have to manually do dhcpcd every time i boot to get internet, even though there's a 90 second startup process for the network every time. This has all made me realize what a noob I really am, but I refuse to give up until I can at least use my actual computer to troubleshoot and not my phone.>>59900655
>>
>>59886157
>>59886178
>>59886301
I installed Linux Mint now. It's pretty fucking sweet.
>>
>>59901319

> I have to manually do dhcpcd every time i boot to get internet
No you don't.

>failed to install yaourt/AUR
You cannot install the AUR. It's a repository.

>yaourt
Look up how packages work, what the AUR is and how to install them before using shitty software recommended by idiots on infographics who don't know anything about it themselves.
>>
what display manager for xfce should i use?
i have arch installed
>>
>>59900986

You want a notification daemon and you want to use notify-send with the song information.
>>
>>59901310
you do realize that xz can serves the same lzma functionality as 7zip, right?
>>
>>59901430

You can use any. Display managers aren't tied to environments.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_manager#List_of_display_managers
>>
>>59901430
>what display manager for xfce should i use?
# cat > /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]/override.conf <<EOF
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/usr/bin/agetty --autologin username --noclear %I $TERM
EOF

>i have arch installed
kill yourself
>>
File: 1384193390551.jpg (77KB, 854x576px) Image search: [Google]
1384193390551.jpg
77KB, 854x576px
I mount my NFS in the fstab using the systemd service with the following options:

/srv/shares/cedar nfs auto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=10min

Though when I have to switch off my NFS for some reason, my file manager and other things hang indefinetly, depite the timeout being specified as 10 seconds in the fstab? Am I doing something wrong?

I don't want to use autofs as the problem with that is if I leave a tab on my NFS open, after a minute that tab will shut automatically.
>>
>>59900572
PCLinuxOS. Great for beginners and no systemd
>>
Been away from linux since last summer - gonna go back mainly to just program I don't really care about anything else.

Not sure what to go with i3 and archlinux or ubuntu and don't give a shut about anything - just straight do what I want.
>>
I have a 4k monitor, which i downscale to 1080p
The display gets all jiterry and weird, as if it was full of rounding errors
This doesnt happen on 1080p monitors or windows
Any way to fix it?
Running xorg and ubuntu 16.04
>>
I'm a longtime i3wm user, but just recently had some free time and decided to try out some popular distributions alongside my current ones.
Compared together, arch with i3 doesn't really look, feel or work anything like elementary os with pantheon, but I somehow find elementary's ui very pleasing.
Is there a way I can use both pantheon and i3? As of right now I can't try it myself, but if i edited the default i3 config to where i removed some of the conflicting commands (switching workspaces, etc), removed the i3bar commands and such, would I be able to use them both simultaneously?
>>
y'all niggers have a linux essentials or an LPIC-X accreditation?

Thoughts?
>>
>>59899828
It's supposed to
>>
>>59902276
By how much? 10-20% faster than 4c4t or barely any improvement?
>>
>>59901533
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS
>>
File: bluepiSW.jpg (48KB, 232x227px) Image search: [Google]
bluepiSW.jpg
48KB, 232x227px
>>59897608
Slackware my friend.
>>
>>59902286
I actually have no experience with hyper threading. You should be asking how well GCC supports multi threading. gcc -g -Wall -pthread yourcode.c -lpthread -o yourprogram

-g asks for debug information, -Wall asks for all warnings, -pthread asks for POSIX threads support.

when it compiles without warnings and you have debugged it with gdb you might want the compiler to optimize by replacing (or adding after) -g with-O2

Very soon, you'll want to make your program made of several compilation units (linked together). You then need to learn how to use a builder like GNU make and you'll have a Makefile (don't forget that tabs are significant inside them).

Of course, you should use a version control system (I suggest to use git, perhaps thru gitorious or github) on your source code.
>>
>>59902174
Yeah. Just replace the wm in pantheon with i3.
>>
>>59899828
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2015134/impact-of-hyperthreading-on-compiler-performance
>>
Has something major changed with the font rendering of Linux in general in the past few months? I just installed Arch with Cinnamon and the default rendering looks a lot better than it was last time I played with Linux. And I notice Infinality is gone now. Did they integrate the Infinality code right into the system or something?
>>
Does anyone else experience that bug where you are using the GUI and gradually you lose the ability to click on things? first right click goes for me, then can't click on the elements in Gnome, then can't click on a single thing. Only fix is to ctrl+alt+F1 and then ctrl+alt+F7.

I've had this since Ubuntu 12.04 and it drives me insane. I can't seem to find a permanent fix.
>>
>>59902473
had that bug on kde plasma
installed xfce no probems since
>>
Are Abiword and Gnumeric comparable to LibreOffice in handling proprietary formats? I wanted to install them on a netbook for minimizing resource usage, but if they're crap at handling MS Office files I'm not bothering.
>>
>>59897673
parallel --gnu echo ::: r t f m
>>59900986
    notify-send \
-u critical \
-i gtk-media-play-ltr \
"$(mpc current -f '[[%artist% - ]%title%]|[%file%]')"

>>59902455
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: 1474750083642.png (31KB, 520x454px) Image search: [Google]
1474750083642.png
31KB, 520x454px
lmao
>want to make a quick buck? fix solus
>>
File: 08fba0f.jpg (430KB, 848x566px) Image search: [Google]
08fba0f.jpg
430KB, 848x566px
Anyone else paranoid about changing config files?

>have your config file
>new version of software comes out
>something might change, new options show up
>your config file might break things without you knowing

The only thing I can think of is starting from scratch every month. I don't want to go through that hell every month, but living with this is also hell.
>>
>>59902726
window timestamp...
>>
>>59902824
it's not evening
>>
File: lisa.jpg (33KB, 450x265px) Image search: [Google]
lisa.jpg
33KB, 450x265px
Let's help Lisa! She has helped the community and now we should help her! https://www.youcaring.com/lisamariemaginnis-779455
>>
>>59902732
Don't be paranoid. Developers know about this problematic and will work around that.
>>
File: shot.png (617KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shot.png
617KB, 1280x720px
>>59897466
>>59897483
great interview, went better than the action show one
>>
>>59902870
This is the stupidest fucking shit i have ever seen.Maybe you should take a step back and realize the surgery is ELECTIVE, and that you have a mental disorder.The people "donating" are just enabling fucks pandering to this insanity
>>
>>59902957
How many temper tantrums did he throw?
>>
>>59902986

>bothering to reply and getting outraged over idiots doing things that donßt affect you in any way
You are the stupidest fucking shit.
>>
>>59902998
How about you watch it?
>>
>>59897483
>he had a fan pointing at his laptop to prevent it from overheating
>multiple connectivity issues and browser crashes
Wow... so this is the power of free software...
>>
>>59903013
It does effect me,this mental disorder is being put on a pedestal and is becoming more prevalent,instead of being properly treated the medical community is going "sure pay 20k and ill cut your dick off, no problem".
It does effect the public safety and health,if this continues its going to be as common place as botox or 1day chin out-patient lifts.

So yes, it does effect me. If this shit gets put on my premiums shits going to go down.This effects everyone.
>>
>>59903016
I dont need ear cancer.

Did he consent to have proprietary video recording software record him?
>>
>>59902957
>>59897483
I'm just leaving this here:
https://u.teknik.io/yWtx7.webm
>>
>>59903055
https://jitsi.org/
>>
>>59902986
It makes a person happy. There's nothing wrong with making a person happy.
>>
>>59903101
Wanting to cut your penis off is a mental disorder.
So you're telling me people cutting them selves is ok cause "it makes them happy"?

Pedophiles are fine with you when they molest or rape children? Cause it "makes them happy"?

No, it isnt ok.This is a serious mental illness, and needs to be addressed with medication and therapy as all mental illnesses are.
>>
>>59903122
>x is a mental disorder
that's what they said about homosexuality too
>>
>>59903122
>>59903044

It doesn't affect you. The fact that you think it does only shows how retarded you are. Chances are you're one of the people who use backticks in Bash scripts.
>>
>>59903101
>It makes a person happy. There's nothing wrong with making a person happy.

The high rate of suicides among post-operation transsexuals says otherwise.
>>
>>59903084
And does it use libre codecs?
>>
>>59903122
>Wanting to cut your penis off is a mental disorder.
Europe does not have this problem.
>>
>>59903128
>homosexuality isn't a mental disorder
?
>>
>>59903152
>he writes scripts in bash
Should we tell him?
>>
>>59903214
america isn't ready yet for the age of enlightenment
>still running around with guns hunting everything they don't understand
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-27_16-54-03.png (11KB, 398x180px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-27_16-54-03.png
11KB, 398x180px
What browser should I get?
Normie sites, and youtube refuse to work with firefox.
Should I get chromium?
>>
>>59903307
Firefox Nightly, Icecat, quotebrowser, w3m
>youtube refuse
fix it?
>>
I'm wiping a partition so I can do a fresh install.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda5 bs=1M

How long should this take? Capacity is roughly 440GB
>>
>>59903320
>fix it?
Sorry I meant that 360 video don't work with firefox.
>Firefox nightly
Does this update my current firefox?
>>
>>59903332
You don't need to do this. If you're trying to securely erase data, that's not really the right way to do it either.
>>
>>59903300
stop being racist
>>59903332
what are you going to install? most installer provide options for wiping
>>
>>59903332
3-4 hours.
>>
>>59903332
use cat, it's faster
>>
>>59903332
just use "wipefs -a /dev/sda5"
it just wipes known things that identify the volume (magic numbers, superblocks, etc)
so as far as anything is concerned, it's blank, as the bits they look for have been wiped
>>
>>59903332
>>59903372
also, if you must wipe it all (only reason is to make it impossible to recover anything from the old volume)
then consider
pv < /dev/zero > /dev/sda5

this'll give you a progress bar, and estimated time
>>
>>59903400
sup fellow pv user!
>>
>>59903405
hello
>>
what's a suckless equivalent to networkmanager? networkmanager depends on polkit which I don't want. I would use wicd but it barely works. I just want a curses program to automatically connect to my wifi, without bloat and unneeded dependencies.
>>
>>59903417
a cable
>>
>>59903400
>>59903405
>>59903410
pv -qL 10 <<< 'sup fellow pv users!'
>>
>>59903475
hi
>>
>>59903339
arch
>>59903346
shouldn't be that long actually, it's done 330G in ~1h so I'll just stick with it
>>59903372
>>59903400
thanks, gonna continue with what I was doing anyway because it's got fairly far already
>>
>>59903502
>he fell for the arch meme
>>
>>59903400
Shell redirects are not suitable for block devices. Use the status=progress option of dd instead.
>>
>>59903546
nice meme
>>
what is some cheap hardware with best support/drivers for linux distors?

Or is it beter to buy new components and use virtual machines?
>>
#!/bin/bash
#How to run shit in parallel on a shit ton of servers.

#Servers go here
cat << 'LISTOFSERVERS' > ./list-of-servers-temp-file.txt
hostname1.domain.com
hostname2.domain.com
hostname3.domain.com
LISTOFSERVERS

#Bash scipt goes in here.
cat << 'SCRIPTYOUWANNARUN' > ./script-to-be-run-on-servers.txt
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install nginx
cd /opt/
git clone https://repoofconfigfiles.gitub.io
for FILE in $(ls /opt); do
ln -s /opt/$FILE /etc/nginx/site-enabled/$FILE
chown nginx:nginx /opt/$FILE
chown nignx:nginx /etc/nginx/site-enabled/$FILE
nginx -t /etc/nginx/site-enabled/$FILE && service nginx reload
done
SCRIPTYOUWANNARUN

#install this.
sudo apt-get install parallel -y

cat ./list-of-servers-temp-file.txt | parallel "scp ./script-to-be-run-on-servers.txt {}:~/script.bash"
cat ./list-of-servers-temp-file.txt | parallel "ssh {} '/bin/bash ~/script.bash'"
>>
>>59903581
>bash shebang
>no bash-specific functions
>parsing ls
>unquoted variables
>uppercase variables
>useless use of cat

Try again.
>>
>>59903579
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59903636
Thanks for the bump
>>
how do Gentoo users deal with the massive compilation time whenever they want to install or upgrade anything?
>>
>>59902957
host was like "haha u rite" throughout the whole interview
>>
>>59903698
by owning a relatively modern desktop computer or an offsite compilation server.

by using software in the stable branch and considering whether an upgrade is actually worth performing
>>
File: 1488083682587.png (614KB, 523x501px) Image search: [Google]
1488083682587.png
614KB, 523x501px
>>59903747
>"fair"
>>
File: 1466585551549.jpg (27KB, 480x517px) Image search: [Google]
1466585551549.jpg
27KB, 480x517px
Hello, I am using Kubuntu and want to have a windows 95 theme for my computer, but the only one available is through deKorator, which i noticed doesn't work for the newest version of KDE.

Xfce, on the other hand, has many ways to easily obtain windows 95 theming. Is there a way to easily switch to xfce without ruining my "it just werks" prepackaged Kubuntu ecosystem? Or is there an easier way to achieve windows 95 theming with KDE?

Thank you in advance!
>>
So... I'm not sure whether I'm retarded here and I'm missing some easy solution, or whether Debian is retarded and kind of useless for installing things from source.

I have infinality installed, which means that my libfreetype is patched and is of "version 2.6.3-infinality5". Whenever I want to install something from source that does any kind of GUI stuff, it tends to have a dependency to libfreetype6-dev in there. Which makes sense, it needs to be able to render fonts. But if I try to install the dependencies, I always get

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libfreetype6-dev : Depends: libfreetype6 (= 2.6.3-3.1) but 1:2.6.3-infinality5 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

In other words, I can't install the *development* files for libfreetype because the version of freetype I'm running is patched? Can't I install development files without messing up my system? Why can't I install these two versions next to each other, have my system use the infinality version and everything that wants to use the development files the regular version?

I don't get it, either I'm missing something major here or everyone who installs infinality is shooting themselves massively in the foot.
>>
>>59904526
>bonkle
>robot
hold on
>>
>>59904526
>Is there a way to easily switch to xfce without ruining my "it just werks" prepackaged Kubuntu ecosystem?
absolutely not. KDE and Xfce are two different desktop environments built for different toolkits (Qt and GTK).
Almost everything about them is different.
>>
How can we verify that gcc isn't comprised as well? If the compiler is comprised then everything else is compromised too.
>>
>>59904662
>compile it with tcc
>hand-translate tcc into machine code
>get fucked anyway because your CPU is compromised
>realise that you will always need some level of trust
>>
>>59904622
Thank you anon!
>>
>>59904622
>absolutely not. KDE and Xfce are two different desktop environments built for different toolkits (Qt and GTK).
Almost everything about them is different.

What? He can install Xfce minimal or full and it will be completely seperate from KDE. They won't interfere with each other.

>>59904526
Just install it and you can choose which one you want to use from your display manager (login screen).
>>
I'm having a bit of a problem with Ubuntu MATE. Today after using it yesterday I noticed that there are disappearing programs in the menu. For example there is no longer Brasero or Appearance among others. As an extra not I've been using the "sudo apt autoremove" command. Any way to bring them back?
>>
zsh or bash? please help me decide
>>
>>59904803
bash
>>
is the MIT license a cuck license like BSD?
>>
>>59904844
there are two bsd licenses
>>
>>59904844
yes

t. stallman pro
>>
File: 1485033866386.png (2MB, 6000x8000px) Image search: [Google]
1485033866386.png
2MB, 6000x8000px
>>59904803
>>
>>59904803
zsh or fish or some other modern shell for interactive use. Bash is terrible.
>>
>>59904588
I had a similar problem for weeks, finally fixed it by using aptitude and not apt-get.
>>
>>59904885
>fish
Some of us do more than running ls in the therminal.
>zsh
numale trash, do you also have a 79 characters long powerline PS1?
>>
>>59904923
>Some of us do more than running ls in the therminal.
That's why it's important to have a shell that makes your life easier.
>>
>>59904915
you could, you know, also learn to use your package manager
>>
>>59904940
How does incompatibility make your life easier?
>>
>>59904941
>friendly thread...
You could, you know, go fuck your mum.
>>
>>59904959
rude

reminder that this is a friendly thread
>>
>>59904953
There's no such thing as incompatibility in interactive mode.
>>
>>59904885
>fish
$ bash
echo 1 && echo 2
$ fish
Welcome to fish, the friendly interactive shell
Type help for instructions on how to use fish
% echo 1 && echo 2
fish: Expected a command name, got token of type “Run job in background”. Did you mean “COMMAND; and COMMAND”? See the help section for the “and” builtin command by typing “help and”.
echo 1 && echo 2
^
% exit
>>
>>59904719
>They won't interfere with each other.
Willit be less-than optimal with the base Kubuntu programs? Worried that googling any problems will become more difficult as less people would be running xfce with the base Kubuntu programs than people with a vanilla ecosystem, so less bugs I encounter would have solutions online

Thank you though!
>>
>>59905034
try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage
>>
>>59905046
>benis
wait what, how long has this been there? kek
>>
>>59905046
freedoms
>>
File: 1442671461825.jpg (120KB, 571x583px) Image search: [Google]
1442671461825.jpg
120KB, 571x583px
>>59905058
since spurdo arrived on /int/ from ylilauta
>>
>>59905046
freedom
>>
>>59905046
>searx, ixquick or startpage
which one would you recommend as the best replacement for google?
>>
>>59905046
privacy
>>
>>59905085
I personally like searx (with all engines off except google and wikipedia to speed it up).
>>
so i have been using i3 for a little bit, just now installed compton last night. But for some reason my terminal seems to lag out? Like it's not getting input or it takes a split second to register.
Is this something from compton or just some coincidence?
It feels like framerate input lag, but a little worse and less frequent.
>>
>>59905095
https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki
>>
>>59905046
freedumbs
>>
Is Debian testing good to use? Stable is too outdated and has performance issues.
>>
>>59904803
zsh, get the grml .zshrc
or, if you have a sufficiently fast machine, oh-my-zsh
>>
>>59905046
freedumb
>>
>>59905138
>and has performance issues
works on my machine

use unstable, testing has bad security
>>
File: 1466276194305.jpg (157KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1466276194305.jpg
157KB, 683x1024px
>>59905146
sure thing man, I'll bloat up a bloated shell even more with cool things like https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/blob/master/plugins/lol/lol.plugin.zsh and other macfag crap
>>
>>59905164
Stable uses 3.16 kernel. Newer kernels have FS improvements and DRM improvements.

How does testing have bad security?
>>
>>59905138
no, the only debian branch youre supposed to use is stable.

if you want testing or unstable use Ubuntu.
Ubuntu LTS is testing with canonical support.
Ubuntu non-LTS is unstable with canonical support
>>
>>59905189
Plugins don't bloat if you don't enable them.
But yes, oh-my-zsh is pretty heavy. Which is why I suggested the excellent grml .zshrc in the first place.
>>
>>59905164
>>59905192
https://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing

+2 day delay for security fixes . REEEE
>>
>>59905192
https://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing
>>
>>59905201
I don't like Ubuntu because put all their own software in it. Software that's not really used in any other distros.
>>
>>59905215
>minimum
ok bub

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

> Testing has more up-to-date software than Stable, and it breaks less often than Unstable. But when it breaks, it might take a long time for things to get rectified. Sometimes this could be days and it could be months at times. It also does not have permanent security support.
>>
>>59905146
>>59905189
>>59905214
>zshfags can't even configure their shell on their own

what's the point for switching the shell again when you don't even know how it works?
>>
>>59905271
ego masturbation in screenfetch threads
>>
>>59905271
Having a good starting point doesn't prevent you from configuring anything. I've made a number of changes to my .zshrc but I've always used grml as the base.
>>
>>59904991
it clearly tells you that youre using the wrong syntax, holy shit
>>
>>59905271
Did you also write all your systemd services / init scripts on your own? What's the point of using your OS if you don't even know how it works?
>>
>>59905304
has anyone actually tried to do this? it fucking sucks
don't even get m started on hooks
>>
>>59905312
In the past I wrote my own init program.
>>
File: 1485177069861.png (11KB, 248x223px) Image search: [Google]
1485177069861.png
11KB, 248x223px
>>59904803
oh dear
>>
If Arch Linux is about simplicity, why does it use systemd?
>>
>>59905384
it's about simplicity for arch developers, not arch users
>>
>>59905384
Systemd is simple enough. You would have to be a Windows brainlet to not understand it.
>>
>>59905406
this is actually true
>>
anyone know how i can disable the horizontal scroll and back button actions? i know how to disable the buttons, but i want to just disable the actions (system wide in xubuntu), so i can then map the buttons for mouse gestures without also triggering the associated action.
>>
>>59903336
>youtube
dont use flash use html5
>>
>>59905424
>do one thing and do it well
>systemd
>>
>>59905520
You're a meme kid.
>>
what's all the fuss about systemd recently? it's free software, isn't it?
>>
>>59905424
>requires 42 of 69 packages to function
>simple

Show me how to read your logs after a bad shut down.Oh wait they are binary and systemd allows them to be corrupted instead of ending it before the corruption tooke place

Nice.
>>
>>59905534
not an argument
>>
>>59905539
I can read still read the logs.

>>59905542
Yes it is, faggot.
>>
>>59905538
it's a bait-phrase
>>
>>59905543
You cant,because the way systemd works is it takes that corrupted part and saves it to the logs before creating a new log. This is working as intended.The binary log is not corrupt and useless,oh not to mention the 50 gb of binary logs it creats despite you setting a HARD LIMIT on them
>>
Can I make ubuntu display tty1 by default after booting instead of the regular screen?
>>
File: rest in pieces.png (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
rest in pieces.png
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>59897466
I've seen things you Pajeets wouldn't believe.
Winposters on fire by the might of Ubuntu.
I watched DEs glitter in the dark near the R. Stallman Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

t. Unity
>>
>>59903747
Man what else are you gonna do if you're interviewing Richard Stallman.
You won't be in charge of the conversation. You just let him go.
>>
anyone here use bunsenlabs? any comments on it?
>>
>>59905715
I don't use Ubuntu but the "regular screen" you're talking about is probably a login manager. Just disable it or uninstall it.
>>
What are your thoughts on elementary OS?
>>
I want to learn to use iptables instead of the ufw frontend. What's the best resource?
>>
>>59905879
man iptables
>>
have some links
https://github.com/VoLuong/Awesome-Linux-Software
https://github.com/aleksandar-todorovic/awesome-linux
https://github.com/alebcay/awesome-shell
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
>>
>>59905875
I have used it for the last 6-7 months, it has more of a OSX feel to it than a windows feel.

Ran into an issue where logging in would boot you back into the login screen until you fixed permissions on a file after an update, that happened maybe three times.

I am looking to change to something different just for the sake of changing now though.

It isn't bad by any means.
>>
File: Awesome-Linux-Software.png (4KB, 355x27px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome-Linux-Software.png
4KB, 355x27px
>>59905933
>skype
REEE as they say
that said, thanks for the shell and hardware stuff
>>
Is there any benefits from picking Ubuntu Gnome / Kubuntu over the official Ubuntu release and just installing the GUI you want?

Does it just take care of it for you and thats it?
>>
>>59905972
just saw it, first link is full of nonfree stuff, sorry man
>>
I'm going back to uni for grad school and anticipate having to be out of my apartment quite a bit. I have a desktop that runs linux and have a laptop coming in that will also run linux. I'm wondering how I can safely access resources on my desktop when on campus.

I imagine ssh with tmux sessions set up. Main reason would be to access files and some virtual machines. Any suggestions?
>>
>>59905791
bunsenlabs is basically what crunchbang was
debian with riced openbox, tint2 and a small additional repo
i think it's pretty cool, din't read anything bad about it
>>
>>59906028
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59901413
>No you don't.
Well, yes, currently I do. I was getting the two confused, from what I understand yaourt is just a script for compiling packages that lets you do it from the command line. Still not sure though.

It's sort of funny, most of my frustration with trying to switch over to gnu linux full time has always come from how none of them ended up being capable of doing what I wanted out of the box, but with this, I know that I'm going to have to spend 8+ hours fine-tuning and setting everything up manually so it isn't annoying. I already have a text file with 9 things to look up the fixes for, my uptime is about 10 minutes.
>>
File: compiz crash.png (370KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
compiz crash.png
370KB, 1366x768px
Just crashed xfce/compiz. R8
>>
>>59906028
Ssh is great. If your internet connection is flaky you can try mosh.
>>
>>59897466
Are Alienware steam machines a good Linux machine? Anybody ever use Linux on them? I know steam os is basically Debian but just curious how these things run.
>>
>>59906000
yeah, they're prericed and preconfigured.
installing another environment on an existing installation may force you to reconfigure shit.

otherwise it's the same
>>
>>59906133
They're probably overpriced since it's alienware.
>>
>>59906028
there are graphical solution too, but i'd advise getting accustomed to ssh and related tools like scp and such.
>>
>>59906133
Great. They are built to run Linux. The fact that they ship with steamOS is irrelevant to that.

Consider System76 before you go that route though.
>>
>>59906133
no gaymen machine is a good linux machine
>>
Where is the file that holds changes to /sys?
Such as setting disk schedulers or changing nr_requests.Instead of using echo,i want to make them permanent, but i cant remember what file they go in to
>>
>>59906127
Apartment internet is quite reliable. Campus wifi not so much. That's why I was thinking that with something like tmux, it won't be too much of a hassle if I do disconnect.
I'll take a look at mosh.
>>59906157
I've used ssh as a client but never set it up on my own machine. Slightly worried about security
>>
>>59906116
tilt/10
>>
>>59906163
System 76?
>>
>>59906191
>Slightly worried about security
block root access and access to any user accounts other than your own

set up RSA key for your account.

And your SSH server is safe
>>
>>59906150
You can get an i3 model for under $300.
>>
>>59906191
Just setup install sshd, disable every feature, disable root login, have a strong password. Maybe install fail2ban.
>>
File: 1481477728787.png (186KB, 1224x459px) Image search: [Google]
1481477728787.png
186KB, 1224x459px
>>59906212
They make hardware specifically for Linux. They are blowing up lately. Good shit.
https://system76.com/
>>
>>59906269
Just curious what's so great about system 76?
>>
File: 1443808179896.png (66KB, 342x245px) Image search: [Google]
1443808179896.png
66KB, 342x245px
>>59906326
he just wrote it.
do you struggle with reading comprehension?
>>
>>59906351
Just read the site an I'm pretty amazed. Are any laptop cpus good for pcsx2 or dolphin emulation?
>>
>>59906383
An i7 is an i7 is an i7
>>
File: 1492129465417.jpg (22KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
1492129465417.jpg
22KB, 500x396px
>>59903027

/thread
>>
>>59903027
>hardware is the same as software now
>>
How do I get the proprietary intel graphics drivers on fedora 25?
>>
http://linuxbrew.sh/
does this even work properly or is it a crude hack?
>>
>>59906493
First of all, you need to get lube and prepare yourself.
>>
>>59906176
Maybe im not through enough.
I want to set /sys/block/sdX/queue/nr_requests to 4096, currently it is 128,the system default.I can echo to change this parameter,but it will not last through a reboot.What file do i put it in to make it persistent?
>>
>>59898926
I browse /f/ and a lot of web players use it for their video streaming, it's not like there's no reason to install flash at all.
>>
>>59906580
Stop using flash holy shit.
>>
>>59906493
That's not what Fedora is for.
>>
that's pretty cool, https://tldr.ostera.io/nc
>>
>>59906546
it's just a downloader for a self-contained package localised in a central repository, just like homebrew

ps: there's nothing wrong with crude hacks.

https://aadrake.com/command-line-tools-can-be-235x-faster-than-your-hadoop-cluster.html
>>
>>59906602
No.
>>
>>59906627
That's exactly what Fedora is for: muh freedoms, but exceptions for nonfree drivers
>>
>>59899621
He's cute af.
>>
>>59906677
enjoy your botnet
>>
>>59906694
Nice boogeyman you have there.
>>
File: tom keen.jpg (67KB, 960x537px) Image search: [Google]
tom keen.jpg
67KB, 960x537px
>>59906684
I know!

So I decided to use the mpd integration in xmobar so I can just look at the top of my screen to see what's playing. Only problem is that if I use <track>, all I get is a number or a blank space, and if I use <file> I get the path, which is way the hell too long.

Is there a way to limit the number of characters it can display and make it do a sort of side-scroll thing to display the full filename?
>>
>>59906680
Then you dont have freedom.
Limiting software choices != user freedom
>>
File: shiggydiggyHARD.gif (2MB, 312x234px) Image search: [Google]
shiggydiggyHARD.gif
2MB, 312x234px
>>59906777
> Getting sober hasn't freed me, it's restricted my freedom to drink and do cocaine
>>
File: 1482973382465.jpg (7KB, 237x192px) Image search: [Google]
1482973382465.jpg
7KB, 237x192px
Debian or openSUSE?

I just want a machine without the NSA/Windows botnet that will let me play Guild Wars 2. I am familiar with Debian but not sure if using a server OS for a desktop would be a good idea.
>>
>>59906680
Didn't Fedora have no mp3 support until very recently?
>>
>>59906820
You needed to install some special codec, if memory served. rpmfusion free has it.
>>
>>59906819
>server OS for a desktop
Literally buzzword perpetrated by companies of the like of Currysoft to jew you extra on the OS version with a "server" sticker slapped on the box.
>>
>>59906819
Debian is a general purpose OS for people who care more about stability than having the latest packages. The said stability just happens to mean it's an excellent fit for servers. It is NOT, however, a dedicated "server OS".
>>
>>59906571
make a udev rule under /etc/udev/rules.d/
for example;
/etc/udev/rules.d/my_nr_requests.rules;
SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="sd*", ACTION=="add|change", TEST=="queue/nr_requests", ATTR{queue/nr_requests}="4096"
>>
Gnash instead of Flashplayer?
Same shit?
>>
Hi I am a former windows pleb and since my HDD fried I want to start fresh with a Linux OS. I'm just looking for the best starter version to do basic shit (torrents and steam mostly).

Can anybody recommend a distro that would be a simple transition for an all-time windows user?
>>
>>59907089
did you even bother to read the OP or are window users allergic to it?

try ubuntu lts, it will give you the least about of headache
>>
>>59907089
Any of them
>>
Is there any way for Linux to handle games or should I just dual boot?
>>
>>59907136
I looked at the babbies first linux but I wasn't sure since it's preference ranking is talking more about how botnet each version it's whether there is a difference in terms terms of normalshit software that that I want like steam or install complexity.
>>
>>59907189
>it's preference ranking is talking more about how botnet each version it's whether there is a difference in terms terms of normalshit software that that I want like steam or install complexity.
Aka the only differences you'll encounter between different distributions that will matter to you

the remaining are
>different release schedules (doesn't concern you as a layman - pick the one with the with few years of support)
>package manager (again, as a layman you have no preferences)
>stance of non-free software (i'm sure freetard-approved distributions are of very little interest to you

There's no magical distribution that solves all your problems, forget about this idea.
Pick one that's well supported and roll with it
>>
>>59907182
Not without stupid PCI passthrough shit and running Windows in a virtual machine. Just dual boot.
>>
File: file.png (82KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
82KB, 259x194px
New thread
>>59907254
>>59907254
>>59907254
>>59907254
>>
>>59907182
Dont waste your time on games, do something productive with your spare time
>>
>>59907214
Alright. Are Ubuntu drivers preloaded or do I need to have a device with live internet connection to get them?

Thanks for the help breh
>>
>>59907280
The only drivers included are the ones they're allowed to distribute preinstalled by law.

Other have to be installed by the specific request of the user. But it's done by a convenient "click to install!" menu.
>>
>>59906684
>>59906772
lol faggot
>>
>>59897483
"Netfucks"
>>
>>59906819
openSUSE, YaST is the greatest tool known to man
t. Leap user
>>
bump to 310 so you can die
>>
faglet on front page?
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.