[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 56

File: lizzy5.jpg (61KB, 656x800px) Image search: [Google]
lizzy5.jpg
61KB, 656x800px
Previous Thread >>59775968

Ask your dumb questions here

Queen Lizzy the 2nd Edition
>>
>>59790285
I have an Asus Crosshair VI, and a spare AM3 backplate.
Can I just slap the backplate on, and put my AM3 watercooler on it, or do I have to worry about specific mounting pressures?
>>
What programs are good for making gifs/webms?

So far I'm being told that WebMCam, WebMConverter, and ffmpeg are good options.

Which of those are the best/easiest?
>>
>>59790325
ffmpeg is my choice.
WebMConverter (AKA. WebM for retards) is really nice for quickly getting the job done.
They all end up using ffmpeg as the backend, so it's more about what user interface you want to use.
>>
>>59790350
Not him but I use ffmpeg, too.

Is there any downside besides adding a middleman (and inherent space) when one uses WebMConverter over ffmpeg? I've wanted to bash my head against a wall when I had to read ffmpeg documentation to ultimately not find out what I wanted.
>>
>>59790364
>downsides
If you can specify your own command line parameters from within the GUI, no, not really.

For documentation, I use the "WebM Academy" guide that floated around when WebM was introduced to 4chan, which I can't pastebin because it gets filtered.
>>
Which is the best thermal paste at the moment? I'm going to be opening my laptop soon. It's getting a bit toasty.
>>
Repostan
Alright /g/, got a problem that might just be something stupid.

I have an HP Laptop and recently the fan has been running nonstop. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, save for a few things:
>Despite the constant blowing, no air is coming out of the vent
>Performance has taken a hit for no apparent reason, CCleaner and Avira found nothing wrong, defragging did nothing
>Computer temperature is totally normal.

At first i thought it was dust until i noticed Enter the Gungeon chugging along like i'm trying to run it on a smartphone. Any ideas?
>>
File: someshitallowedon4kids.webm (845KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
someshitallowedon4kids.webm
845KB, 1920x1080px
>>59790416
Cheers. I'll check it out. I only went to it to find how to make VP8 webms, since it seemed to default to V9 since an anon told me the program i used to generate webm thumbnails musn't've done so for the ones I created since they were VP9. The documentation showed no hits for "VP8", I believe.

test. I tried an ffmeg command on the webm article of the /g/ wiki, but the end result was VP9 and had audio. I don't know what I expected. So I searched "4chan ffmpeg webm" and am using the command >>9308557 recommended. And the quality appears to be disgusting.
>>
>>59790508
for ffmpeg, the codec for VP8 is

-c:v libvpx
>>
>>59790475
Maybe the temp readings are wrong? The fan shouldn't be blowing nonstop if the temps are ok. Does the laptop feel warm?
>>
>>59790453
I got an Antec Nanodiamond or something for $14. It had diamond particles in it which is supposed to be better than silver because it doesn't conduct electricity so it won't accidentally fry your computer. But every time I mention it here I get bullied. So probably don't go with an Antec Nanodiamond.
>>
>>59790508
This doesn't seem like a very Christian anime. I wouldn't let my kids watch 4kids stuff if this is what they show. I should complain to my Congressman to get anime banned in this country.
>>
>>59790540
Not at all, its just going nonstop with no air coming out. I tried some pressurized air but it only fixed it for a minute or so, like theres a fucking curtain being sucked into the fan.
>>
>>59790522
Thank you so much. I've added it to the command an anon shared with me a while ago:

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -ss 00:02:45 -t 00:01:30 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 21 -c:a aac -b:a 192k -map_metadata -1 output.mp4

His post explaining it is in the ss I shared to the first anon >>59790246. Do you know how to preserve quality when converting to VP8? Your command seems to ruin it since it appears to be mutually exclusive with "-c:v libx264".

>>59790572
Toplel, it's a yuri anime called Sakura Trick. I wouldn't even recommend it since the characters sort of turn out to all be asses in the end.
>>
>>59790578
Take it apaaaaaaaht
>>
>>59790595
-c:v libx264

That wouldn't be a WebM...
>>
>>59790595
>not recommending cute girls doing cute things together
???
>>
>>59790578
I would open the laptop if I could just to make sure. Also, I had a laptop with a switchable graphics card (AMD/Intel). The fans would run at full blast because I disabled the AMD card. The AMD GPU was failing so I had to disable it.
>>
my pc just randomly powered down in the middle of vidya, when i tried to start it up again it didnt work. would load the bios splash screen fine, then go into select how to boot windows normal/safemode/etc, and there would be 2 green bars on each of my monitors. then my 2nd monitor would lose signal and my first would just be there in standby black screen.

gonna try unplug some shit from power adapter see what happens
>>
>>59790623
Oh, that's a shame. I used the convert to VP8 command and the quality seemed just as shite as the text webm I uploaded earlier using

ffmpeg -i someshit.mkv -c:v libvpx -an someshitallowedon4kids.webm
>>
>>59790640
Yeah, if you want good quality, you have to do two pass encoding with some really customized settings.
>>
>>59790626
It's really in the second last/ last episode where everyone gets anxious and upset and dishonest to each other, and no one ends up happy. Spoiler alert.

They're really nice on the eyes, though. And they do the Love Live upskirt a lot, plus a bit more, which is /really/ nice. It's ok. If you ignore subject matter it's quite good.
>>
I run a small service for a couple of people using KVM, and I've decided I want to spy on my clients.

How would I go about doing this?

I can get console to the machine using virsh, but I'd still have to log in using a password.

Also, how do I erase any trace I was there?
>>
File: erormsg.jpg (52KB, 625x422px) Image search: [Google]
erormsg.jpg
52KB, 625x422px
>>59790636
>>
>>59790662
Get rekt Alex.
Try removing the GPU, or using a different GPU.
>>
which file manager do you use with Gnome? Nautilus crashes and hangs a lot on my machine.
>>
>>59790685
spacefm
>>
>>59790668
my gpu is rekt? :(
>>
>>59790693
I don't know. If you take it out, does the rest of your computer work?
>>
>>59790693
Not him but whenever my computer would fail to boot it would force itself into safe mode on integrated graphics (rather than discrete [a GPU]). I think it may just be a troubleshooting thing you do.
>>
>>59790703
>>59790707
launched in safe mode without taking GPU out. u say i should take GPU out n try again? is there anywayh to see if GPU even connected rn? tried cpu-z n dxdiag but neither could detect much...
>>
>>59790722
>tried cpu-z n dxdiag but neither could detect much...
Yeah, that's because they hook into the drivers.

1. Take the card out and see if it works without the discrete GPU.
2. If it does, put the GPU back in, use DDU to remove the GPU drivers, and then reinstall the drivers. See if it works now.
3. If it's still not working correctly, try booting a different operating system.
4. If it's still not working, your GPU is probably fucked.
>>
>>59790595
>turn out to all be asses in the end.
Wasn't one yuri couple a girl and her country bumpkin cousin or something?
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>59790764
My memory of it's kind of hazy. I think the entire main cast might've been a couple, but a girl in the main couple had a sister who was crushing real hard on her sister's SO.
>>
>>59790737
what if i skip the taking the card out and just remove + reinstall drivers? or just remove first, then try boot up normally without em? currently got a real fucked up shoulder and im really not up for much lifting or fine hand movements ykno
>>
What is the secret to properly cooking a hot pocket? I do have a meat thermometer. I'm cooking the "ham n cheese" variety if that helps to inform your answer. Should I use the paper wrapper it comes with, or does that just add sogginess? My plates are china, but I do have paper plates if that makes for a more authentic dining experience. Not sure on sauces either, but I have american cheese and mustard, too.
>>
>>59791032

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/5ce8no/how_do_you_optimally_place_two_or_more_hot/

i never read the thread, but the subreddit deleted anything without sources, or something. i don't know.

that said, the thread was removed. So don't know of the quality control in the comments, there. It was on the front page when it dropped, though.
>>
>>59790285
I have a raspi2 running osmc, connected via Ethernet. My library is entirely video/music files shared via samba from another machine.

Question: is it worth $35 to upgrade to a raspi3? The performance jump from a raspi1 to a raspi2 was pretty huge.

Second question: I'm currently using an original Xbox DVD kit ir receiver. It works flawlessly, but it's bulky and awkward to position. What ir receiver is recommended? I have an inteset int-422-2 that I'm quite happy with
>>
Is there a small app or some other way that I can disable certain keys on my keyboard in Windows 10?
>>
File: am.png (144KB, 922x513px) Image search: [Google]
am.png
144KB, 922x513px
I have a shortcut to ffmpeg.exe on my desktop so that I can drag files to it when I don't feel like dealing with file association shit. The files have opened fine until today, where I get this fucking Windows Security popup I've never seen before.

The 0.blv in the screenshot is hosted on a MicroSD card, but I've opened files from this card in this way regularly in the past without any of this shit.
>>
File: IMG_20170408_005015.jpg (2MB, 2353x5057px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170408_005015.jpg
2MB, 2353x5057px
>>59790285
What do you guys do with all your cables?? Pic related is behind my tv. I have my
Pi: PSU, Ethernet, HDMI, ir receiver.
Xb1: PSU, HDMI.
Xb360: PSU, hdmi.
Original Xbox: power cable, component cables.
PS3: power cable, HDMI.
HDMI switch: power cable, HDMI.
File server: power cable, HDMI/dvi, 3.5mm audio, Ethernet, USB hub power
Stereo: RCA inputs from tv, 2 pair speaker cables (receiver and sub sit ~10ft from entertainment center/ speakers).
And the surge protector.

The file server can be headless, so that can be relocated
>>
File: specs.png (104KB, 1376x973px) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
104KB, 1376x973px
Whenever I watch two 1080p/60fps twitch streams at the same time, my PC becomes incredibly slow. I have tried reinstalling my OS, changing video drivers, and absolutely nothing has fixed it. It happens if I use streamlink aswell. My cpu usage doesn't go above 30% when this happens, and my memory and GPU usage are also low.

Everything seems ok when I am just browsing the internet, playing vidya, or watching a single 1080p/60fps stream. It only seems to go to shit when I open two at the same time.

Things I have tried
>reinstalling OS/drivers
>disabling all power saving shit for cpu and windows

I am hoping to god someone can help me with this issue as it is beginning to piss me off beyond belief.

I've also been experiencing an issue where my computer will freeze to a solid color/loop audio in an incredibly loud manner, requiring a hard reboot. Not sure if that is related or not...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
File: msi_thermal_paste.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
msi_thermal_paste.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>59790453
I bought artic silver last time. Just don't do webm related
>>
>>59791294
Upgrade to Ryzen 7!
The choice CPU for multitasking!
>>
File: 1475767711820.jpg (32KB, 599x502px) Image search: [Google]
1475767711820.jpg
32KB, 599x502px
>>59790685
Nemo, maybe thunar

>>59791032
Best is to use the oven or a toaster oven.
If your microwave spins, ensure the pocket is either centered or off center.
If your microwave doesn't spin, place the pocket slightly to one side, cook halfway, place sightly to the other side, cook the rest of the way.
Lower the power and cook for slightly longer.
After cooking, let the pocket sit for a few minutes. This allows the carryover cooking to finish and the heat to distribute evenly.
>>
I know that h265 encoding requires much CPU power to encode with, but does it require much CPU power to playback in MPC-HC or VLC?

Because if it does require much CPU power, then what's the point of it?
>>
File: Specs.png (19KB, 491x391px) Image search: [Google]
Specs.png
19KB, 491x391px
Posted this on /wsr/ but that board is even slower:

I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Last night, everything was fine and I turned off the PC when I went to sleep. After turning it on, only one out of a total of ten USB ports was working and only for the keyboard, anything else I put there doesn't work.
I've searched and tried a lot of things to fix it, among them:

- Reboot with and without USB connected, in the usual place or at random.
- Shutdown, disconnect from energy and pressing power button for 30 seconds, leaving it unplugged for a couple of hours.
- On BIOS, I tried a combination of every option related to USB.
- On Device Manager, removed every single USB entry. I also tried reinstalling them manually, with Windows Update or using generic drivers. Also removed all the hidden and unused devices.
- I tried some driver manager software to reinstall USB and chipset drivers.
- Registry clean with software and some of them manually.
- Windows troubleshooting.
- SFC /scannow
- A windows utility that is supposed to fix USB problems (and of course, it doesn't)
- Booting in normal startup (all services enabled), safe boot with and without network.
- Malware-Bytes virus scan because why not, found nothing.

I'm sure it's not a hardware problem for two things: trying with a Fedora LiveUSB all of them worked, and they also work when I try to use Windows System restore (I don't have any restore point, so I can't use this to rollback). For now I'm managing by using the keyboard and for mouse my Note 8.0 through the VirtualTablet app.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem since I can't install shit, it always ends up with "Device driver software was not successfully installed", with no clear explanation on why the fuck it can't install them.
Do you know any other thing I could try before a clean install?
That's the last thing I want to do, configuring and reinstalling all the software, updates and customization I need would take me too fucking much.
>>
>>59791515
tl;dr ver plz
>>
I just started making anything at all. I went to move my work scripts into a wpf app when I realized how shit it is syncing my textblocks with my code as things change in the background.

I wished for the text to just update if the string ever changed. Seems like I'll have to just put a refresh button there. I've been googling shit all week but I don't get the mvvm that gets jerked off.

Pro tips on this or better direction to learn for someone just starting?
>>
>>59791524
USB drivers are fucked. Can't reinstall or fix them no matter what I try.

I wrote all the shit I tried to discard that quickly.

It's not hardware related, wangblows fucked itself.
>>
>>59791554
have you checked the mobo connection?
>>
how to start VLC automatically with subtitles? Setting them up through the preferences>subtitles menu doesn't do anything when set to English or [English], I have to manually turn them on from the main subtitles menu, which is set to Disabled by default. I can change audio to Japanese by default. Video is such a pain in the ass, you'd think they'd have this shit figured out by now. Everyone is so obsessed with DRM that it's 50/50 chance you can even get a dvd you bought to work in any dvd player. Blu-ray is even worse, feels like we're going backwards in terms of this technology.
>>
>>59791574
Yeah, the hardware is fine, I even checked if the other devices were OK.

I just turned the PC off, and when I turned it on again, only the keyboard worked.

Using a Fedora LiveUSB (On any port) works and I plug and unplug shit on the others and everything works, even on the Windows System Restore utility, but I fucked up and have no restore points.
>>
I have an old laptop with a broken screen. Literally can't see anything.
I hooked it up to my TV via HDMI and the desktop is mirrored, but without desktop icons and anything I open opens up in the primary display (fucked laptop screen) and the function keys don't seem to work properly
What are my options here to get the HDMI as the only display?
>>
>>59791619
are you gettingg a malfunctioned message>?
>>
File: IMG_20170408_185647.jpg (109KB, 729x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170408_185647.jpg
109KB, 729x539px
So, I have this spare AM3 backplate...
Can I put this on my Crosshair VI, and use it with a corsair H100i?
>>
>>59791668
Do you mean an error?
I've tried a lot what seems to work for other people, removing the device and reinstalling, and it always ends up with "Device driver software was not successfully installed". I tested it on all the ports.
>>
>>59791445
MPV
>>
>>59791703
probably
>>
File: Cap323ture.png (71KB, 921x749px) Image search: [Google]
Cap323ture.png
71KB, 921x749px
I want to play stream games to my laptop with controller support. I tried port forwarding, i think i did it right. But when i connect to Tlestra Air while my desktop is connected to my Network. It just does not connect.... It will work if im on the same network as my Desktop

This is what i followed i went to What's my IP. Copied my local address and did all this

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/764816/gamestream/remote-gamestream-router-port-forwarding-and-tegra-zone-update-/
>>
>>59791588
never mind figured it out. pain in the ass
>>
File: 29464737.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
29464737.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>59791445
If your gpu has hardware accelerated h265 decoding, then no. Newer gpus have this.

H265 gets higher quality at lower sizes.

>>59791515
>>59791554
Windows update/ generic drivers suck.
Go to your motherboard MFG and download drivers from there.
Go to each device MFG and download drivers from there.
Else backup and reinstall, should only take an hour or two. Setup automatic restore points.

>>59791546
You want your program to automatically change the displayed text when done other thing is changed?
I don't know what you're using, but are there event listeners you can use? Have them fire when changes occur.
It you could have a thread check at intervals for changes.

>>59791588
Tools > preferences > hit 'all' at the bottom > interface > set subtitle track to 0, 1, or 2 can't remember which
Also check video > subtitles in that same 'all' menu

If that fails you could always remux as mkv and set the desired subs to default or forced. Mkvtoolnix is bretty gud.

>>59791638
I believe you mean the desktop is extended.
If you're running Windows 7 or later I believe you can hit super+p to go through the display modes.
Hit super+e to open an explorer window, hit super+shift+right arrow (or possibly left if the settings aren't at the default) to move the explorer window to the working screen. Use the location bar to go to the control panel.
Right click on the desktop you can see and make a folder. Open said folder, use the location bar to go to the control panel.
>>
my phone bricked for some reason last night. No idea why, it was on and taking charge one minute, then the next it just refuses to take charge and refuses to turn on or respond in nay way.

Anyway, the metal cover for the nano sim slot has come off (its an xperia z5). I can;'t even retreive my SIM or SD card.

Any idea on how to get into this without any "grip"? I just can't get any purchase to slide it out.
>>
I have a 32" 2560x1440p Samsung monitor. It's great. Plenty of input options, amazing IPS panel with even better colors and viewing angles. However in speccy it shows it as 59hz. Several games even show it as 59.95hz in their settings menus on occasion. But when using an fps counter, it shows 60. When using shadowplay for recording, it shows 60. When I import a video into Sony movie studio, the program says the imported source material is 60fps. I have the monitor set to 60hz in Windows display settings, but keeps kicking back to 59hz.

None of this impacts performance at all and honestly, I'm not going to be some elitist who swears he can see the difference between 59 and 60hz. Just irks me that I can't figure out why this happens. Monitor is connected via a Displayport 1.2a capable cable, hooked to a GTX 980ti.
>>
File: 1481584273901.gif (822KB, 600x366px) Image search: [Google]
1481584273901.gif
822KB, 600x366px
>>59790285
Years and years ago I did something that broke my laptop. I don't know what I did but I'm curious and maybe one of you guys can shed some light.

I was playing Diablo 2 during patch 1.09 and wanted to try the 1.10 beta. I downloaded the patch from somewhere but I don't remember where.

The game worked with the beta patch: features that were included with 1.10 were functioning. The game worked like this for about a couple of days but then the laptop stopped working.

The laptop would freeze and when restarting, the OS was unable to be found. Letting it sit for a night I was able to get it to work for a short time (few hours maybe) and then it would freeze and not find the OS again.

That lasted for about a couple of more days before it simply stopped finding the OS at all.

By the sound of it what happened? I don't think it was malware from the patch but that was the only variable that changed. This was in 2003 or 2004 by the way.
>>
>>59791911
Measurement error - the clocks used to count refreshes may be off just slightly.
>>
I have hundreds of shows in .mkv with FLAC audio, should I reencode them to AAC-LC? What would the ffmpeg command look like for doing the whole directory?
>>
File: 64908.jpg (129KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
64908.jpg
129KB, 500x500px
Anyone ITT have the SSD in pic related? Or anyone have a Kingston SSD in general? How are they for reliability? I know this drive is definitely a mega budget drive, so I'm not expecting crazy performance. This is being thrown into an itx budget box I built for my parents to use as a means of streaming movies from my server to the living room TV. Just looking to make this a boot drive running Windows 7 and want to make sure it's not going to go belly up after 2 months. I've only ever bought Samsung SSDs for myself. But $35 for this drive will fit the bill nicely I hope.

So yay or nay /g/?
>>
>>59791668
>>59791872
Thanks, anon(s), I tried again for the 100th time on safe boot, this time with no network and when I tried to install scanned the winsxs folder (I tried this at least twice before), and now I got an option that said something about the driver certificate and install anyway, and this fixed it. When I get to the normal boot I still get the message that the device was not installed properly, but it works anyway.

I tried the official drivers first, several times (From the newest version to the oldest), but it still didn't work.
Fucking Windows, man. I'm only staying on it for a few software that has a subpar or no alternative, but I'll leave it eventually.

In the end I still don't know what the fuck caused the problem, and what the fuck fixed it. But it werks.
>>
>>59791946
sounds like hdd died. slave drive it or try a different port?
>>
File: this_is_an_internet_cable.jpg (144KB, 643x611px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_an_internet_cable.jpg
144KB, 643x611px
>>59791946
Sounds like a hardware failure, probably the HDD.
>>
>>59791950
Ah ok. Figured it was something stupid. Does the fact that the monitor appears as "generic PnP monitor" in my device manager mean anything in this regard?
>>
>>59791965
>>59791967

I've since gotten rid of the laptop. The scenario just popped into my head and was curious. Thanks though
>>
>>59791809
Thanks bruh...
>>
File: 1458121496568.jpg (22KB, 386x386px) Image search: [Google]
1458121496568.jpg
22KB, 386x386px
>>59791279
help pls
>>
>>59791967
...I want to lick it.
Will I die?
>>
File: WantToCustomizeRedSelectedPlace.png (24KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WantToCustomizeRedSelectedPlace.png
24KB, 1920x1080px
is there an easy way to edit notepad++ color scheme, not the editor color scheme, but notepad++, like lines with file, edit, search and so on ?
>>
>>59792048
OS skins/themes
>>
>>59792062
but i don't want my whole os color scheme changed, just the notepad++
>>
File: Sunbeam_cutaway_Crosby.jpg (403KB, 1500x638px) Image search: [Google]
Sunbeam_cutaway_Crosby.jpg
403KB, 1500x638px
>>59791952
Why do you want to reencode the audio?

>>59791960
I have a 60gb v300 I stuck in an eeepc 1000hd for kicks. Definitely a noticable performance boost even for the low end netbook (sata I, ddr2, Celeron m). Works fine but I don't use the machine much.

If all you're doing is streaming video, why not a fire stick/tv or raspi (w/osmc)? Both have built in wifi and Bluetooth, both use less power than your budget box, both would likely be easier for normies to use, and are probably cheaper to boot.
Fire stick if you want to be able to use Netflix/Amazon prime video/etc. Raspi to avoid botnet

>>59791962
Now's the time to try some Linux. Dual boot mint cinnamon or mate, takes literally half an hour to setup and super easy.

>>59791971
Possibly? Are there drivers available for your monitor?

>>59792039
Only because you'd be murdered for causing an outage.
>>
I want to connect 2 pcs together using ethernet cable so I can copy files between them. Both have gigabit nics and I have a cat5e cable. Do I still need a crossover cable or will it auto-negotiate? Also, will I get gigabit speeds or at least close to it?
>>
File: cable_auger.jpg (49KB, 500x662px) Image search: [Google]
cable_auger.jpg
49KB, 500x662px
>>59791967
That shit makes me anxious. Imagine having to backtrack a bad wire in that cluster? I'd go insane.

Reminds me of this mess. Can't imagine where to even begin to fix this.
>>
>>59792096
Modern NICs will auto-negotiate. What kind of cabling are you using? That will determine the speed.
>>
>>59791872
Thank you for the direction. I will read more into those tomorrow when I'm not tired. Checking periodically was something I considered but got side tracked.

I am turning a batch/powershell script into c# wpf app. I've been having alot fun learning this far seeing what I can make happen.
>>
>>59792096
>>59792111
Cat5e, I'm retarded. You should get gigabit if your NICs support it.
>>
>>59792096
Cat5e should give you gigabit as long as your run isn't over 30m.

You'll need to manually configure IP addresses, but that's about it.
>>
>>59792093
>fire stick
I was considering it but problem is our WiFi. I'm on a 100/100 connection with Verizon. Yay! Except they force me to use their absolute garbage can tier wireless router. It's dual band but streaming over WiFi requires buffering every once in a while. Unacceptable to me. Plus the server is a Windows share. I don't think the fire stick can connect to Windows/SMB shares.

My budget box didn't cost much h at all really.
>and sempron quad core + am1 socket itx board -$40
>4gb ddr3-$10
>Silverstone sfx PSU 300w-$35
>elite 110 case -$35

Then this SSD and that'll be it. It was originally my server before I found it was lacking in certain features, so it was retired and sitting on my shelf. Basically I need a machine with full file browser and Ethernet capabilities to properly stream from my server, so the RPI was out.

>driver for my monitor
I checked and no, there aren't other than some auto rotate detection software. Seems I'm just stick with 59hz displayed. Oh well. No harm no foul.
>>
>>59792003
I'm not the best with sed/grep/awk
Is this what you want?
curl -s 'https://m.news.yandex.ru/quotes/6.html?mar=0' | sed "s/[<>]/\n/g" | grep -E '[0-9],[0-9]{4}'

You were redirecting the output of curl to a temp file and then opening the cat file when you could have just piped the output to sed/grep
I'm not sure if those are the numbers you wanted, though. Maybe I misread the whole thing.
>>
>>59792096
They'll auto negotiate no problem if their NICs aren't ancient. Assuming both are gigabit like you say, the only factor you'd have to worry about is hard drive speeds being able to read/write as fast as their connection. My 1TB Seagate drives can saturate my network when moving large files over the network with cat5e easily.

Odd though. Why go through this trouble? How much data are you moving? Or do you just not have an external on hand?
>>
>>59792179
*and then opening the file with cat
>>
File: 42623387.jpg (278KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
42623387.jpg
278KB, 1920x1200px
>>59792146
Does their router/modem have Ethernet ports? If so just plug a separate router in and use that. If they throw a hissy fit, spoof the routers external Mac.

FYI, u can install Kodi on the fire for maximum comfy. Does just about all share protocols ootb. That's what my parents are using.
>>
>>59792206
Yes their router has 4 Ethernet ports that all the rooms/PC's in the house are hard wired to. Problem is that the house would now have 6 wireless signals floating around because the Verizon router doesn't let me turn off or just hide the signal broadcast. So I'd have those 2 signals, the 2 from my good router, and the 2 from the repeater in my room. It'd just be confusing and a security risk all around. Bad enough their router doesn't even let me set separate passwords for the 2.4/5ghz channels. They share a pass. Lastly, I can't disconnect their wireless s router entirely in favor of my own because the modem connect to the router via coaxial, not Ethernet.

I was using a Linksys wrt1200AC before this that was absolute tits. Greatest investment ever.
>>
>>59792093
>Why do you want to reencode the audio?
FLAC is a huge bloat for these shows, I want to downsample? it to AAC or something much more lightweight. I do not want to touch the video quality at all, but I want to do this to the (track 1) audio on all of the files.
>>
File: Capture.png (40KB, 613x643px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
40KB, 613x643px
Could someone explain to me why these ports red) aren't working
>>
Why is it supposedly so difficult to get a gf when (((women))) outnumber eligible bachelors?
>>
one of my HDD killed, I have spare external HDD that is also killed but assume it is either cord or chip and not actual HDD

tried plugging HDD into pc using sata and power but does not recognise because was external (wrong format? has drivers because external?) can't reformat

to reformat without recognise does need new sata to usb converter or other way? esata converter? microwave???
>>
File: machine_16gif.gif (897KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
machine_16gif.gif
897KB, 500x269px
>>59792243
Just curious, why do you have separate ssids for 2.4/5ghz?

I setup a wifi coverage for a small clinic (~5000 ft^2), what I did was hardwire a couple of small routers in AP mode to a main one. Every router has the same ssid/pass, but different channels and there's no separate ssids for 2.4/5.

Modern devices are intelligent about picking the best AP and band to connect to, that clinic has had zero problems - no stutters or dropped coverage when moving between APs even with then moving around a lot during the day.

Back on topic, I suppose you could open Verizon's router and disconnect the wifi antenna...
There should be a way to disable wifi on Verizon's router. What model is it?
>>
So I'm on a Mac. I have another windows computer next to me as well however it's a piece of trash and can't do much at all. The mac mini 2010 is the best computer I've ever owned. (Please no h8)

So here's the problem, I'm trying to use my 4TB ext HDD on here, but for some reason it's READ ONLY and it's pissing me off. I need to transfer some shit over to it but it wont let me, and some dumb shit tutorials are telling me that if I want to make my mac read it, I have to reformat it. FUCK NO. I have 2TBs if not almost 3TBs of data on this things. I cannot afford to lose. Do I seriously have to jump over to my windows PC to do everything with this?

I like mac, it's not horrible but why do we need so many fucking file systems? It's honestly stupid. I get the unix and windows stuff but thats all we need and communicating back and forth is what it should be. Why read only? I dun get this
>>
>>59792411
exfat works on windows and mac os, but you need to reformat if it isn't already.
no, you aren't making it writeable with some magic trick.
it's just how it is.
deal with it or reformat.
2010 is 7 years ago, I doubt your 4TB hard disk is that old, so I assume you got the disk after already using mac os, so you should have known better and formatted it correctly right away.
>>
>>59792411
>4TB ext HDD
>2TBs if not almost 3TBs of data
create new partition with exfat, transfer data to new partition, delete first partition then resize
>>
>>59792374
Again, but in English.
Coherent English.
>>
How do I route my traffic through secondary IP on the same interface with iptables?
>>
File: pupi.png (88KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pupi.png
88KB, 800x600px
How can I make my Linux look like pic related? I'm trying to rice lxde+openbox, but can't find these comfy af icons and theme
>>
>>59792378
Dunno the router model, but looking now, the TV relies on the router for it's channel guide. No matter what configuration I go with, hat router has to be part of the loop. As for physically removing the antennas, same reason as before.

I never had to setup such a large tier network before like your example. This Verizon router or super bare bones in regards to options. How did you unify your bands? Because if unifying the bands gives better connection throughout the house, I'll just keep the Verizon router in place, Daisy chain my WRT to it with unified bands, and go off of that. I'll just make the Verizon routers bands have a stupidly long and complicated password to prevent eavesdroppers.
>>
>>59792411
Your external drive is formatted with NTFS, great for Windows, bit so much for everything else. If you want a drive everything can use, it needs to be formatted fat32/exfat.

Here's the fix:
1) transfer your data off the drive
2) use disk utility to format the drive. Ensure you choose exfat or fat32
3) transfer your data back onto the drive
>>
Oh right new question as well

My mac's audio jack port wont work now. Did the other night. Now it wont let me listen to anything through it. It tells me that it's plugged in but no sound? I'm confused and Apple must be ran by idiots. I called them, some nigger answered and gave me generic advice I followed from different sites. I feel like she was googling everything (which I wouldn't doubt desu)
When I plug in my headphones, the sound stops out of my HDMI but nothing out the headphones. What do?

>>59792450

no it's like hardly a year old, my mac mini is from 2010. Still runs nicer than anything I've EVER had but still doesn't do things I need it to do.
FML

I got the mac mini this week. If I had known the future sure why not.

>>59792460
I dunno how I feel about this

>>59792486
god damn it. So there's nothing else I can do BESIDES that? this is dumb.
If I could I would but I can't cause I don't have another 4TB. I have a lot of data
>>
>>59792490
if the 4TB is so important then you should have a backup of it all the time anyway.
So it shouldn't be a problem at all to reformat another drive and copy the files back on there.

Imagine the disk breaks, your files are gone.
So buy a second HDD and use it to back it up.
>>
File: 1333704254673.jpg (8KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1333704254673.jpg
8KB, 320x240px
>>59792466
:(

Unable to find my external HDD when connected to my PC via SATA in devices or anything so I can't reformat it, I assume because it has a driver or is in a format that allows it to connect to my PC via USB. Wondering if there is a way to reformat it to allow it to work through SATA or will I need to buy a replacement SATA to USB cord in order to access it and reformat it
>>
>>59792502
because I got money.
It always bugs me when people assume everyone has money to just throw at PC parts. I've been trying to get another drive asap... Then why does my 4TB read and write on my mint drive if this is true?
>>
File: edith.jpg (52KB, 368x500px) Image search: [Google]
edith.jpg
52KB, 368x500px
>tfw having problems that are doing my head in
>spend hours upon hours trying to fix it
>go through a number of tutorials
>finally fix it
>sit there looking at my computer
>realise i want to fix something else because i have nothing else to do

so is life
>>
>>59792515
>because I got money.
>It always bugs me when people assume everyone has money to just throw at PC parts
if you don't have money for a 150euro drive then you have some serious other troubles you should resolved first.
even when getting unemployment you should have the money easily after saving up a bit for 2-3 months.
>>
>>59792533
just install gentoo senpai
>>
>>59792538
>150 euros
>thinking that it's easy to come by money that easy
I'm in america, we have this thing called DOLLARS. And yes, it's VERY hard to come by money. It's VERY hard to get a job lately cause most places expect WAY too much on an application. Using what I have is what I'm lucky for. The only reason I have the Switch is cause I was able to pay it off with my last job. I don't get unemployment cause I didn't stay with the company long enough for it to work out.
>>
>>59792583
>be poor
>no job
>buy video game console instead of saving up for emergencies
murrica logic
>>
>>59792659
ORIGINALLY this wasn't a problem, I had the switch paid off first anyways. Then shit happened. I didn't say I was happy about it. I was working on a few things at once. I like to think of myself as OK for the simple fact I didn't get my ex preggers and I don't have kids when ya think about it. So my priorities aren't the best but at least I'm not buying drugs or alcohol. I didn't get the chance to really save up for emergencies and honestly, this isn't an emergency as much as buying food.
>>
>>59792477
There should be an option in the router configuration page to shut off the wifi, probably under security. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/I-want-to-use-my-own-router-and-keep-tv-guide/td-p/822059

When you plug your router into one of the VZW lan ports be sure to move the Ethernet cables currently connected to the VZW router to yours. I forgot to do that once, took forever to figure out.

I used an Asus rt-arch13 fur the main router and for most of the access points. One access point was a preexisting Netgear something or other.
To make it all one network:
1) You have your main router. This is what connects to the internet, everything goes through it.

2) you have a router for each area you need to extend coverage to. We will refer to these as access points going forward.

3) the access points from (2) should be connected via Ethernet to the main router, lan port to lan port (some will want you to use the wan port, check the manual)

4) set the ssid and password on the main router. Select the same for both 2.4 and 5ghz. Use WPA2-AES unless you have a specific reason not to.

5) for each access point, place it in AP mode. Check your manual for specifics. Double check you are using the correct put to connect to the main router.

6) for each access point, set the ssid and security to the same values used for the main router in step (4).

7) (optional) for each access point, set a static IP or else assign them static ips on the main router. Makes troubleshooting easier

8) shitpost.

If there's any trouble with but being able to access stuff when connected to an ap but not the main router, check that the AP has the default gateway set as the main router.

With it all being one network your devices should never lose coverage, they should automatically select the best AP.
>>
>>59790285
Should I really take /g/'s advice ever?
>>
>>59790453

Cooler Master MasterGel Maker
>>
>>59792705
Thanks anon. I screencapped that and will go back to it when I get around to messing with the network again.
>>
File: 1451596867680.jpg (47KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1451596867680.jpg
47KB, 600x450px
>>59792179
thank you
>>
>>59792548

2/10
>>
I need a desk any ideas? Also a program for dual monitors that works.
>>
>>59792470
icons look like elementary
panel looks like lxpanel
gtk / openbox themes look like clearlooks
>>
>>59792826
Dual monitors work ootb on modern oses. You may need to set them to extend instead of clone, though
>>
I'm inexperienced with phone OS's in general.
I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini that I like as a phone but I'd like to debloat and customize a little more than what the default offers. Is there anything you can suggest?
>>
>>59792583
Amerocan unemployment rates are low thanks to Barry. You must be a true fuck up to be in this position
>>
>>59792933
it's likely, but I'm not the only person who complains here in GA. A lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of these places are ran by baby boomers who thinks millennials should have like 20 years of EXP at 16 kind of deal. I've applied every where around here. No one will hire me. (25 btw).

It's not as easy as it sounds. I know a few people who are trying to get on their feet but in this day n age people are assholes and will fire you over the lamest shit.
>>
File: 1415206956197.jpg (41KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
1415206956197.jpg
41KB, 576x768px
playing with windows server 2012

>active directory
so I always thought I can do everything with it, total control over PCs and users
now it turns out its mostly about who can access what on the network
I cant make user and admin on its local computer
I cant change lot of shits and settings on that computer

I can execute shit on boot, monitor usage and other stuff
but active directory seems to be mostly about who can access what on network
not for managing the actual PC itself and if user can execute locally installed application X or whatever

correct?

At least I had quick looksies and wanned to add user in to admin group for that local PC for half a day so that I could install shit and change settings and do everything without constant need for elevation or logging as local admin
and I did not find the way to do that

>DNS on windows server
black hole for me and that feels kinda not ideal
I enable it and it works
I can add some local entries about what IP is what name if I would need it but tahts about it
I was kinda expecting I would point servers DNS to some dns on the internet
google, openDNS or root servers
but nothing like that really popped up, I just enabled it and its working

Also I was moving like 10 PCs in to domain, DNS the issue few times
I had to ipconfig /flushdns for few PCs to be willing to migrate
and one time I had to manually set DNS ip in on network interface, while leaving rest on automatic from dhcp even though it was the same shit it got from DHCP, but after that the PC joined the domain
DNS seems to be kinda problematic, already read the jokes how -"its always DNS"

Any recommended reading, video tutorial on DNS?
>>
>>59793106
...wednesday?
>>
How do i display my phones screen on my pc monitor
>>
How can I find out if my phone is rooted or not? Tried holding power+volume up and power+volume down while booting nothing happened.
>>
>>59793106
>>59793132
Wait so does she want yesterday to not happen yet and happen tomorrow? So Today is Sunday?
Or does she want yesterday to be whatever day tomorrow is? So Today actually is Friday?
Holy fuck I can't into word problems.
>>
File: 1452128778475.jpg (128KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1452128778475.jpg
128KB, 500x333px
Guys, I need some help.

I'm using an HD7850 through HDMI to my TV with built-in speakers, and I've been having audio problems recently.

If I install Realtek's HD audio drivers, the HDMI sound becomes "dirty" in a way. The reverb gets fucked up in some way, and the lower sounds/bass sound like a broken speaker with vibrating plastic-like sound. This problem vanishes if I uninstall Realtek's drivers, but I wanna keep them.

I also have suspicions that the HDMI cable and/or the GPU might be a bit broken but I still have to test it with replacements.

Anybody knows what the problem is? Google isn't giving my anything.
>>
how do i make use of 2 year old $100 tablets?
>>
>>59793106
>At least I had quick looksies and wanned to add user in to admin group for that local PC for half a day so that I could install shit and change settings and do everything without constant need for elevation or logging as local admin
>and I did not find the way to do that
It's been a while since I've touched Windows, but I recall there being a group policy for managing local users.

>Any recommended reading, video tutorial on DNS?
Set up Bind or some other traditional DNS so you can understand what is actually part of DNS, and what is Microsoft's fucked up idea of what DNS should be.
>>
>>59793106
>>59793132
>>59793164
It's Sunday.

If Saturday (yesterday) was tomorrow, then it would be Friday.
>>
>>59793212
thnx
>>
>>59793199
Photo frames, thin clients.
>>
>>59793214
But what if she wanted the MEANING of the words "tommorrow" and "yesterday" to switch?
Then it would still be friday.
What class is this for? What did they recently learn?
Like yeah it's Sunday, but fuck I know one of my professors would say it's sunday if you put down friday but she's enough of an ass to say it's friday if you put down sunday
>>
How does the "girl = ezmode" meme make sense when single women outnumber bachelors of bare minimum eligibility?
>>
File: 1442339697236.png (95KB, 228x404px) Image search: [Google]
1442339697236.png
95KB, 228x404px
I've had this laptop for 2 years and always used it at home plugged to the wall (with the battery removed), and a few days ago I've used it outside two times and now it's at home plgged like before.

The laptop has a shitty soundcard, so when I plug my headphones in its jack, I hear a quiet white noise that's constantly playing (even when the system sound is deactivated), but ever since I used it with a battery, the white noise stops when no audio is playing, and if I play some audio I hear a popping noise in my headphones and the white noise starts playing until a few seconds after the sound stops, then it turns off.

I'm thinking that using it with the battery somehow changed its settings and now the soundcard automatically turns off when not used, but I have no Idea how to change it back.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
>>
so, I have an external hard drive and it's been going bananas since this morning. I have literally no idea why, but the computer has troubles even trying to open it and when it does it takes forever for it to do anything. Files do not load, some folders won't open etc.

I know it's pretty vague but any idea on what it might be?
>>
CWM or TWRP?
>>
>>59793500
TWRP
>>
guranteed way of fixing a damaged sd card please?
>>
>>59793384
Assuming this isn't bait, it's because eligibility doesn't matter for lower tier tasks, but women are much less likely to do more than what they're told/in their description, therefore less of a problem.
It's also because, generally, we see women as more attractive than men. Of course they're gonna higher the chick and fulfill their fantasy of her doing /anything/ for this position, even if it's just a subconscious reason. They'll also want to see chicks when working their jobs, not more men. Again probably more subconscious.
There's also the "problem" where they don't expect the chicks to do good at their jobs. So when she makes a mistake, it's cause she's an airhead. When he makes a mistake, it's cause he's incompetent and needs to be replaced so he doesn't fuck up anything else.
Then there's outside of work. Hell just sit on a bench and watch people go by. For the most part everyone will maneuver around the women, hold doors open for them, let them cross the street, if they're sitting alone someone is inevitably gonna start a conversation(probably to hit on them but still)
Further still this really just applies to good looking women. It's pretty true (if you consider sociology truth) that average women are still considered attractive, but average men are usually just considered average.
Even further, none of this is hard fact either, just what people notice. But a lot of people "notice" it, so it's considered common sense
>>
>>59793510
no guarantee.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0
gparted /dev/mmcblk0
>>
>>59793530
will this format it?
>>
>>59790658
I do this too.

You could simply do a whole snapshot of their system (while it's running), and from there you can do whatever you want with the copy of their system (plug in a live distro and change root password for example).

Something like:
virsh snapshot-create-as --domain <some domain> snapshot --disk-only --atomic --quiesce
virsh blockcommit <some domain> hda --active --verbose --pivot
virsh snapshot-delete <some domain> snapshot --metadata
virsh dumpxml <some domain> > /path/to/domain.xml

They may or may not notice their system get slower, but there are plenty of excuses for that.

Good luck on your spying!
>>
>>59790658
paedophile!
>>
>>59790658
>>59793664
I hope you guys realize what pieces of shits you are.
>>
Why do women sometimes stand 20 feet apart and shout instead of moving closer?
>>
>>59793726
It's your fault for even trusting a VPS provider. :^)
>>
>>59793750
To get your attention.
>>
whats better to use for back ups?
Discs or HDDs? In terms of durability
>>
>>59793837
>Discs
what the fuck is that?

anyway
>best
tapes
HDDs
SSDs
dvd/cd
>worst
>>
>>59793986
I assume he means cds
>>
I'm doing a WBS for the development of an app and was wondering..

What happens in the Development/implementation phase of the development of an app? Which tasks could one include?
>>
Is the Dell Ultrasharp U2312 still the go-to 1080p display? Is the extra inch and 1200p on the U2412 worth it? I prefer higher PPI.
>>
File: IMG_20170331_162654.jpg (238KB, 1365x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170331_162654.jpg
238KB, 1365x2048px
Hello /g/ is it possible to use the same windows 10 key on two different computers at the same time? Or using the media creation tool to upgrade a windows 7 key?
>>
File: opening3~01.jpg (42KB, 377x450px) Image search: [Google]
opening3~01.jpg
42KB, 377x450px
What is the device in the image called?
>>
I want to write a short script that will do little more than shuffle around a few files and run a few programs on them.
I want it to be cross platform so I'd rather not use a shell script.
What do? Use python?
>>
>>59794246
no to the first, yes to the second
>>
>>59794368
So i can have an active windows 7 key. Use the meda creation tool to so can move boot it on another hdd?
>>
File: lk2.jpg (156KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
lk2.jpg
156KB, 640x640px
Hey /g/ is there a way to find out if my connection is being manipulated by ISP/anyone else?
>>
>>59794425
Manipulated in what way?
>>
File: 1478452585125.png (568KB, 463x451px) Image search: [Google]
1478452585125.png
568KB, 463x451px
Here's a stupid question for ya. I'm making a 'craiglist clone' and I'm already done with the back-end but I'm a lazy ass. So, here's my question. Where can I download templates intended for dynamic sites? Too lazy to write HTML/CSS.
>>
>>59794422
you can still use any 7 key to upgrade or do a fresh install of windows 10, I did it last month on a relatives computer.
you do forfeit your right to run windows 7 though at the same time as windows 10 using the same key.
>>
>>59794448
Redirects/Refusing to load webpages/false 403's
>>
so i found an old imac g5, and because I don't have the install disc, I went around the computer in an attempt to clear it before selling it. After deleting a bunch of useless files, I accidentally moved one important Os file into the trash bin and reset the computer afterwords.

Now the computer is stuck in a kernel panic. Is it possible to fix it with a fire-wire cable in Target disk Mode or is it completely fucked?
>>
>>59794303
Yeah
>>
>>59794480
>>59794425
check with a different connection or while being connected to a VPN, if the results differ your ISP is fucking with you.
if you're using https then check the cert you're receiving, your ISP can't manipulate those unless your machine has been manipulated as well.
>>
>>59794524

Python 2 or 3?
>>
>>59794528
thanks.
>>
some tell me the differance between desktop environment, display manager and window manager
>>
>>59791292
>What do you guys do with all your cables??
Zip ties are your friend.
>>
>>59791412
Thanks. Nemo works great.
>>
Want a laptop. Matte screen.
Should I get a refurb XPS 9550 (FHD) for ~$1000?
Any other options?
Main uses are Photoshop/CSP and Sketchup
>>
Are there more bulletpoints to writing fast code than cache misses and O-complexity`?
>>
most reliable/customizable android launcher?
>>
>>59794890
Nova is pretty customisable, but the paid one is even more customisable
>>
I have an Samsung J3 and want to buy a certain phone case, would any of these Samsung S sizes fit it?

https://www.redbubble.com/people/artoth/works/24046435-soichis-beloved-pet-junji-ito?p=samsung-galaxy-case&phone_model=samsung_galaxy_s3&cover_type=snap&type=samsung_galaxy_s3_snap
>>
>>59794580
>A display manager, or login manager, is typically a graphical user interface that is displayed at the end of the boot process in place of the default shell.

A WM is an application that gives your desktop the barebones basics for a GUI. A DE includes a WM, but also a bunch of other stuff like browsers and utilities and ricing, so it takes up a lot more space and resources
>>
>>59794291
Mirror.
>>
i need a new computer chair that'll take a lot of reclining, the backs keep breaking off my second hand ones. what are some /g/ recommended desk chairs?
>>
I have an orange pi PC lying around (pic related)
I want to use it in my bedroom as a device to stream chinese cartoons from websites like 9anime or kissanime.
While playback of downloaded videos works fine, html5 players stutter a lot. I'm running ubuntu mate with chromium. Should I change distro? Maybe try android?
>>
This might need it's own thread, but I'll try here first.

I'm trying to debug my motherboard, an MSI H110 Pro.

First tried it with a Kaby Lake CPU, but the BIOS needed
an update first, so I bought a Skylake one.

First time I tried to power the build on with the new CPU, it
ran, but nothing showed up. After some CMOS short circuit
(BIOS reset) and retrying, it didn't turn on at all.

I bought a new CMOS battery and tried again without luck.
Even tried going back to the previous CPU, but still nothing.

Basically when I try powering it on the CPU LED on the
motherboard lights up, then fades away. Nothing runs.

Should I give up and buy a new motherboard? Or is there a
chance the PSU has suddenly died (unlikely since it's new,
has worked, and there hasn't been any smells)?
>>
I should mention there are no visible damages on the motherboard itself.
>>
How do i go about installing Ubuntu LTS and Windows 10 LTSB?

what comes first?
>>
>>59790285
Any good EdX courses I can learn programming? Any materials outside edX I can learn programming from?

Looking for Python, and potentially C/C++ and java
>>
>>59790285
I have an old netbook that shutsdown whenever I load Windows or Linux. I can get into the BIOS and everything looks okay. It just completely shuts down or black screens (lit up just black) with all the LEDs on (wlan, hdd, capslock, numlock). I've tried reseating the RAM and tried another HDD that I know works and same thing happens.

I was thinking about completely dissembling the laptop to clean it out, but it doesn't look that dusty.

Any advice/tips?
>>
>>59794814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNmRkzxHWs
>>
File: wp-test.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wp-test.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I need a small, simple, minimalistic blogging plattform for my raspberry pi.

Are there any good? Google says ghost, but somehow it crashes on install and I am too lazy to figure it out atm.
Just want to get started somewhere and write shit.
>>
noscript on chrome equivalent?
>>
>>59795250
Noooooo
It is something like a portable computer, but it flips open like a 3DS, ani it has keyboards that slide out for some reason. The character in the image is a writer and she uses it to to write her stories.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vtf69
Go to 00:40 in this video to see it.

Devices like these shown in anime are almost always based on real life products, so can someone link me to an amazon page of it? I hope it isn't one of those japland only products.
>>
>>59795805
Always windows. Just leave space for the ubuntu partitions
>>
>>59796097
>noscript on chrome equivalent
is unnecessary. Noscript exists because of firefox's shitty sandboxing. If you want more, get umatrix
>>
your android sms app of choice?
>>
recommend me a good movie duplicate finder pls respond
>>
File: ihovS.jpg (66KB, 727x135px) Image search: [Google]
ihovS.jpg
66KB, 727x135px
how can I tell my sadpanda to always search for expunged?
>>
Is there a lightweight analytics tool for a small website?

I don't need to track like where people click and come from and all that crap. All I want is a small graph, maybe even printed on the terminal screen, showing visitors over a day/month/year, maybe some stats on which country they come from and perhaps what web browser they used.

The alternative is writing a script which pulls information from the web server logs and presents it this way, but I'd rather not waste my time on that.
>>
I'm actually looking to buy a new screen for my computer.
The thing is, I want to wall mount it and I don't know at all what I should be looking for.
Can I just take any screen or is there something in particular I should look for ?
Don't know either what I should buy to wall mount the screen, I want to use the screen in vertical position.

Any tips ?
>>
File: wtf.png (121KB, 1125x747px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
121KB, 1125x747px
Why the fuck is my GPU usage spiking from 100% to 0% to 100% to 0% again and again? This is obviously in game
>>
>>59795709
>>59795776
If it doesn't work then it won't work no matter what you try.
>I should mention there are no visible damages on the motherboard itself.
There's no way to tell if the mobo is physically damaged, you could have fried it without noticing. I'd suggest to try a new PSU but as you said since it's new then it's unlikely to be the problem.
>>
>>59796613
>This is obviously in game
Why are you worried? If you're playing then that's normal.
>>
>>59796613
possible answers
1)Heat or power throttling (unlikely)
2)You're CPU bound and the GPU is saving power (possible)
3)You have VSYNC on or another frame rate cap and the GPU is saving power (likely)
>>
is there any free RAM disk software (unlimited use, not shareware/trialware) for windows? or a link to a cracked version. i'm struggling to find one.

>>59796603
what you're looking for is VESA standard compatibility in your monitor. not every monitor has it. filter by that to narrow down your monitor choices.
>>
>>59793193
Changing the HDMI cable didn't solve it. It's probably a driver issue.

Does AMD have a problem with Realtek's drivers or something?
>>
>>59796755
Oh I see, thank you.

follow up question, my first screen is 144Hz, if I buy and use a 60Hz monitor, will my 144Hz be locked to 60Hz ?
>>
>>59796772
Why do you need realtek drivers when you're using hdmi output? It won't give you any benefits.
>>
>>59796831
nope they will run independently.
>>
>>59796691
I'm worried because the game stutters every second as a result of the GPU load spiking, making gameplay impossible

>>59796731
I'll check these out, thanks
>>
This is quite a stupid one.

What's best? HDMI audio or onboard sound card?

I have an LG 25UM55, an r9 280x and onboard sound card uses the ALC887 codec.
>>
>>59796831
You might have some difficulty getting your GPU/OS to handle them correctly, but it should be doable in most situations
>>
when I upgraded Ubuntu to 17.04, all PPAs were disabled and if I enable them I get an error whenever I try to apt upgrade, something about release files

are the ppa maintainers going to edit these release files at some point, or do I have to do something to be able to keep receiving updates from those repositories?
>>
>>59796662
Guess I'll use rubber gloves next time.
>>
File: Captura.png (16KB, 675x253px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
16KB, 675x253px
what's wrong with my video card? why is it saying it isn't fine?
>>
>>59796890
In this case HDMI means your GPU. Compare the onboard to whatever comes with the 280x. You probably wouldn't notice a difference either way. Most audio is pretty solid these days
>>
File: Lg.jpg (244KB, 1077x1034px) Image search: [Google]
Lg.jpg
244KB, 1077x1034px
What's a /g/ approved TV? I don't plan to spend over five hunnid
>>
>>59796931
https://slickdeals.net/f/10027592-55-vizio-e55-d0-google-smartcast-1080p-hdtv-150-dell-gift-card-374-99-after-75-slickdeals-rebate-free-s-h-dell?src=catpagev2
>>
>>59796926
>You have: AMD Radeon R7
Found the problem
>>
>>59796961
this computer was given to me
I have no fucking idea how to build a computer

any suggestion?
>>
>>59796861
If you're having bad stuttering then it's not option 3.
I still think your CPU usage looks really high, especially if the point at which the GPU/memory usage drops off is when you exited the game.
What is your idle CPU usage at?
>>
>>59796997
What are you even looking at? It's saying buy a better card.
>>
>>59790285
What are some things I should look out for when buying a /g/ approved TV's?

Are there any /g/ approved TV's?
>>
>>59797019
I don't even know which cards are better

I'm not exaggerating when I've said I have no fucking idea about computer building. I don't know which card would I buy because if I simply search "good graphics card" on google I fear everything is just a shill for shitty overpriced cards

>what are you even looking at
the page of "can you run it?" for videogames
>>
>>59797059
http://www.piriform.com/speccy/

Post.
>>
What's a non-shit free antivirus and virus cleaning program I can download somewhere?
>>
File: Captura.png (56KB, 816x521px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
56KB, 816x521px
>>59797087
righto
>>
>>59797105
Manual or automatic?
>>
>>59797105
mbam
>>
>>59797157
automatic I guess

Friend called and claimed her pc had a virus and asked if I could "fix" it.

I'm planning to just download some program and wipe it away. Problem is I don't know which to be bothered with. I never used any.
>>
>>59797127
You've got a fairly weak processor there. I might go for an Rx 470.
>>
>>59797201
Any idea on how to get a cheap one?
>>
>>59797185
That depends on how fucked it is. If it's all recent you could try a system restore point. Malwarebytes will catch the light shit. There are guides around for catching the deep stuff. When you're done, put bitdefender free and ublock origin on there. If you know what a DNS is, set up norton DNS.
>>
>>59797228
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=rx+470&pp=20&sort=relevance&previousdays=14&forumid%5B%5D=30&forumid%5B%5D=9&forumid%5B%5D=25&r=1
>>
>>59797301
a thousand thanks

anything else notable in need of change?
>>
>>59797284
Pretty sure it's recent and tip of the iceberg tier. Friend only uses pc for facebook and youtube and shit.

Thanks for the info though mang. I'll let you know how it goes.
>>
Why did MS push a 248gb update for a video game?
>>
File: idle.png (104KB, 1147x747px) Image search: [Google]
idle.png
104KB, 1147x747px
>>59797002
here she is idle
>>
>>59797360
which video game?
>>
>>59797380
http://www.game-debate.com/news/22322/microsoft-releases-248gb-patch-for-gears-of-war-4-on-windows-10-pc
>>
>>59797308
You might think about getting an SSD. It wont affect what you can actually DO, but it will make the computer behave much snappier in general. On a good day you can get a 120gb or even a 250 under $50, and then just clone your OS to it with Macrium Reflect. It's not hard, but if you have no idea what you're doing it can be a bit much. It's a little easier if you just reinstall windows.
>>
Alright, so I bought a new GTX 1050, plugged it in, everything right, but there's no signal. I know it's not the HDMI cable or board, since my other card works just fine, and when I tried to install the drivers with the old card in, it says it needs an Nvidia GPU. How could I actually install the drivers?
>>
>>59797409
>getting an SSD
not really an issue for now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future

thanks again
>>
>>59790285
I'm having a problem with firefox, it doesn't load certain pages under https. The thing is that is just with some pages and not all, example, I can load animebytes page just fine, but I can't access bakabt unless I remove the "s" on the https.

Any ideas? Firefox is up to date.
>>
>>59796550
GoAccess.
>>
>>59797437
Uninstall old card
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Reseat GPU. Make sure HDMI is attached to GPU, not Mobo. Beyond that

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
>>
>>59797450
Not all websites support HTTPS
>>
>>59797365
>~20% idle CPU
Yeah, that doesn't look right. Your computer is working harder "idling" than the shitty laptop I'm posting from is to keep twenty tabs open and play music. My desktop idles at <1%.
If by any chance you're on win10, disable as much windows update stuff as you can, either way, go into your task manager and see what background processes are eating your CPU usage.
The GPU usage spiking is fine, that's your GPU not wasting power when the CPU can't keep up anyway.
>>
>>59797519
I'm not forcing https though, and they were working fine a week ago.

I even disable all the extensions that I have, and still getting the same result.
>>
>>59797403
What the actual fuck.
>>
Any cool projects you can do with a modem from 2004? Modem is westell 6100.
>>
>>59797644
Oh microsoft. You gotta love 'em. Seriously, it's in the TOS
>>
>>59796844
I also use a headset on my motherboard from time to time, and you never know when you'll need stereo mix to micspam people.

Who am I kidding, I don't do that anymore.

Worst thing though it that the problem is far worse now. After reinstalling my AMD drivers without realtek, the HDMI sound was fine, but after installing realtek's along with it, it became garbled.

Now? I'm getting BSOD atikmpag.sys 0x0000116 constantly immediately after booting. If it's worth anything, I'm running an HD7850 on W7. I've tried a lot of things to fix it already, reinstalling drivers, unplugging and plugging it back, new HDMI cables, etc.

It was working fine until last week. I'm really worried.
>>
How many wordpress sites can I fit into a $10 droplet from digitalocean?
>>
File: slower_that_fucking_dialup.png (13KB, 437x429px) Image search: [Google]
slower_that_fucking_dialup.png
13KB, 437x429px
>this shit has been happening for years now
Who the fuck do I shoot for this? Hiro? Cloudflare? My ISP, even though it happens on 3 different ones?
>>
Does anyone know any good drawing tablets?
Or anything to look for in drawing tabelts which mark it as good?
>>
>>59797830
That sounds like a driver conflict.
Can't you just avoid using realtek drivers? I don't think they are required for stereo mix to work.
>>
Plugged hdmi cord into graphics card so i can connect it to my tv. Mobo doesnt recognize dvi or hdmi anymore? How do i fix this?
>>
File: smug.png (13KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
13KB, 640x712px
>>59797403
Thats a pretty big botnet microsoft is giving out. Must've taken a long time to program that much spyware tools
>>
File: hdmWX2v.png (21KB, 1477x116px) Image search: [Google]
hdmWX2v.png
21KB, 1477x116px
How do I change these buttons on Windows Classic?

Customizergod/NavButtonChanger/Editing explorerframe.dll doesn't work for classic, only aero.
>>
>>59798154
Is the onboard video output enable in the bios?
>>
Im trying to flash lineage14.1 on my oneplus one that has had cm12 5.1 for a long time now. im getting error 7 and cant seem to find a solution. my twrp is up to date. please help
>>
is headphone burn in a meme?
some people say yes, others no
>>
My graphics card fans only spins for a couple of seconds then stops. Pcs been overheating like crazy how do i fix this
>>
>>59798149
Uninstalled Realtek, sound is still fucked.

I'm also guilty of using DriverEasy some days ago to check up on driver updates.

You can call me a dumb faggot to your heart's desire, but if you could hold out on it just until I can get this shit fixed, I'd be thankful.
>>
Does 4chan-x have option to remember post history?
>>
File: yes4.jpg (156KB, 798x730px) Image search: [Google]
yes4.jpg
156KB, 798x730px
>>59797506
If my PSU can't support it, it just won't turn on, right? I realized that I have a 350w and it takes 300.
>>
I wanted to try mvp becuase I like how simple it is and it works really well (I use it when opening a file with SVP that had mvp installed thought I unmarked it).
But there are two builders, which one is the best for anime and which one is the best for movies?
>>
>>59798408
It's okay anon, I'm dumb too!
If sound through hdmi is still dirty then that could be a grounding issue with your TV.
I don't think drivers can really affect sound that much, they either work or crash.
>>
I'm running Windows 10 and my PC will not stay running for BOINC, what do I do? My Windows 8 PC just needed to have BOINC running and it's been going for days, this Win10 shitbox goes to sleep (or at least I'd assume since it stops running BOINC and all) even though I've got it set to never sleep when plugged in. How do I fix this?
>>
>>59798669
go into power settings and set it to not go to sleep
>>
>>59798724
I've already done that
>>
when should I write headers in c/c++? I see a lot of conflicting opinions and just want some input on the matter.
>>
>>59798546
You're pushing it. I don't like to throw even a lightweight GPU in with a sub 400w PSU if I can help it. But it depends on the rest of your system, and how good of shape your PSU is in. You can fry gear by overloading it. Better to be safe than sorry.
>>
what's the best media player on macOS?

People tell me VLC is cancer.
>>
>>59799056
mpv is the best media player on every platform.
>>
>>59792253
pls respond. i got the audio to go to 256k aac, but i can't get it to not touch the video quality. they are very high quality BD rips with some grain which I do not want to change. would i have to use the slowest encoding option?
>>
>>59799056
VLC is fine as long as you fix the color range
>>
Is the legion y720 worth buying if you want a gaming laptop, or are there better options in the price range?
>>
>>59799394
That's probably your best option for a gaming laptop, but obviously a desktop would be better.
>>
>>59799487
What about the inspiron 7567?
>>
File: 1460580939328.png (11KB, 581x109px) Image search: [Google]
1460580939328.png
11KB, 581x109px
So do I actually need this file? I installed PS once and am trying to get rid of it. The "Creative Cloud Remover Tool" doesn't seem to be able to get rid of this file. So I'm wondering if it's actually needed.
>>
>>59799579
This file syncs with our NSA databases. I'd recommend keeping it. :^)
>>
>>59794810
>ThinkPad
>$300
>>
>>59799674
really?
>>
WHAT THE FUCK IS THE BEST LINUX TO INSTALL ON MY MEMEPAD YOU FUCKERS MEMED ME INTO GETTING

I JUST WANT TO BROWSE AND WRITE. MAYBE MAKE SOME DANK MEMES.

NOBODY CAN GIVE ME STRAIGHT ANSWE OR EVEN A DECNET LINK
>>
>>59799728
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation
Network installation x86_64
>>
What's better an ssh key or a paragraph long password?
>>
>>59800094
Key by far.
>>
I know this is going to sound retarded but is it possible that turbo mode in pcsx2 can cause windows to run faster?
Suddenly I swear all of the videos I watch are slightly faster.
>>
What's a fast & lightweight Android keyboard app?
>>
>>59800389
No not possible, you can play 30 fps vid at 60fps but thats just software setting, not really an increace in any kind of performance
>>
>>59800424
Xperia keyboard, pretty much stock keyboard
>>
what are some good wireless n pci e cards that work well with ubuntu
>>
File: blacktest.png (5KB, 990x768px) Image search: [Google]
blacktest.png
5KB, 990x768px
I have my PS3 hooked up to my monitor. When I set the color range to RGB Full in the PS3 display options it crushes the blacks and I can't see details in shadows in Persona 5, even though when viewing this test image on the PS3 I can clearly view the different black levels.

What's the likely culprit? Is the game itself optimized for RGB 16-235 range or did I fuck something up?
>>
How do I compile lots of c++ headers and cpps with g++ - do I actually have to type the name of every single file in a command? Why would anyone choose this over an IDE? (serious question, this will take a considerable amount of time surely?)
>>
>>59790285
Ive started off learning programming about a month ago. I've been using Python. Is it a bad idea to change languages? Should I stick with python still?
>>
>>59800870
That's what Makefiles are for.
>>
>>59800951
Do I make the makefile? Is it automatic? How would you do this?
>>
File: 1471258206894.jpg (33KB, 456x349px) Image search: [Google]
1471258206894.jpg
33KB, 456x349px
I'm using tkinter to place buttons inside a frame, the command is a lambda.

for i in scenes[scene][2:]:
Button(dash, text=i[0], command = lambda i=i: print_scene(i[1])).grid(row=0, column=count)

When I destroy all the frame's children and try to populate it with 'normal' buttons e.g.

explore_button = Button(dash, text="Explore", command=foo)
explore_button.grid()

it fails and throws the error 'bad window path name.' I'm clueless and google isn't much help
>>
>Start Android Studio Project
>it spikes my i7 4770 usage up to 60% for like 15 seconds
what the hell is it doing that needs so much processing power?
>>
>>59800655
No idea. Look around for one with good reviews on Windows and then check if manufacturer provides linux drivers
>>
>>59790285
I've googled it to no avail...
What is the difference between a hard bottleneck and a soft bottleneck? I've been told after passing a certain level hardware only soft bottlenecks exist. What does this mean?
>>
How can I view a suspended process in Ubuntu? I suspend the process with kill -stop but I need some sort of terminal confirmation of it.
>>
>>59801060
Probably rendering the cursor
>>
>>59801141
I've never heard the terms before but I assume it means software vs hardware bottleneck

They probably mean past an arbitrary point in processing power the only bottlenecks will be the ones humans create with bad code.
>>
>>59801141
Exceptional answer my good /g/entooman. You have my gratitude.
>>
>>59790285
Why in this site it says a 20ms monitor is excellent? Also those ms values aren't the same as the manufacturers. For example, I saw one model specs and in the manufacturer's site it was saying it had 2ms. In this site it says the same model have 10ms.

https://displaylag.com/display-database/
>>
computer isnt recognizing headphones or speakers . wut do
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (556KB, 2218x3200px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
556KB, 2218x3200px
>>59801141
Never heard of it, but sounds like a concurrent programming performance topic I was doing at uni few months ago. Here are 2 slides I digged out.
>>
>>59801378
its showing the speakers and headphones but saying its not in.
>>
>>59798667
Used Display Driver Uninstaller to wipe out the GPU drivers and reinstalled them, but the problem continues.

Maybe it's hardware issues? I don't fucking know anymore.
>>
>>59799067
MPV is fine as long as you're fine with 0 options outside of editing the config file
>>
>>59801565
There's also a keybinding file.
>>
>>59801609
Holy shit a keybinding file! I'll never need a GUI with my videoplayer again!
>>
>>59801625
Autism
>>
How can I wipe my hard drive on Ubuntu?
>>
>>59801695
Just entered
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=512

into the terminal, not sure if it's doing anything.
>>
>>59798667
>>59801524
Disregard my last. It looks like it was my Samsung's speakers that were fucking up. They were getting fuzzy when playing songs with bass. Did they deteriorate or are they just naturally shitty?
>>
Whats the best free dvd/bluray burning software these days? I used to use cdburnerxp back in the day but i was wondering if there was something better
>>
>>59791967
Kinda looks like a phone cable.
>>
>>59801651
Sarcasm actually, but whatever works for you
>>
File: plex.png (8KB, 290x218px) Image search: [Google]
plex.png
8KB, 290x218px
Anyone know where to put new Scanners?

Trying to install Absolute Scanner for Plex, but mine is the FreeNAS plug-in of Plex and seems to have a different layout. Absolute's readme doesn't seem to help on this.

>>59801378
Are they showing in the list if you right click volume and go to playback devices? Do you have a monitor with HDMI (seriously this causes issues in windows if you install some of those drivers)?
>>
Guys, for some coursework I need to suspend a process in Linux and then give some sort of terminal textual output showing that the process is suspended. What's the best way to show it suspended? It was showing my suspended process with the jobs command but now it seems to have completely disappeared and I can't get it back.
>>
Whats the easiest way to make a MakeFile, do people remember this stuff off by heart or just google it?
>>
What's the best program for weeding out duplicate files?
>>
Am I allowed to replace the router provided by my ISP? If so, which one?
>>
>>59802142
Depends on your ISP
>>
>>59802181
Optimum.
>>
5/10. Might fuck.
>>
>>59802267
>>59802267
>>59802267
>>
Wired is faster then wireless and will probably stay that way for the foreseeable future. But is it inherently more secure?
>>
>>59802127
fdupes werks pretty ok.
>The occasional md5 collision.
>>
>>59790285
the usb ports on my notebook sometimes stop working, very often now. what could it be and how to fix it?
>>
bought a 1080ti to play shitty console ports and early access games

i noticed in msi afterburner my gpu getting up to 111% power even though the power limit is locked to 100. It also gets up to 1923 when gaming. That's a 30% OC.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125955

this is the card
>>
>>59802314
Have you ever actually gotten an md5 collision? I thought that was supposed to be hella rare if you weren't trying
>>
>>59802927
Yes. html files from save page with firefox.
A couple of times.
>>
File: 1491068056605.png (325KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1491068056605.png
325KB, 640x427px
>>59803090
Wow
>>
>>59803113
One was 92 mazda B2600 error codes, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it's doppelganger was. Blew my mind.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.