[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 390
Thread images: 47

LAST THREAD: >>59174540
Ask away.
>>
Reposting question:
>>59188580
>>
File: 1458258832177.png (1003KB, 1276x678px) Image search: [Google]
1458258832177.png
1003KB, 1276x678px
If I apply for a job which supposedly requires 3 years of experience while I have 0 (Z E R O) do I just end up looking like an idiot who's wasting their time or is there a chance they might consider my application regardless of it?
I kinda know these people in person as well, but still
>>
Are people really retarded enough to fanboy this hard for AMD/Intel/Nvidia, or is it just pretending for the sake of shitposting?

Surely people do their research and buy whatever offers the best performance at the price they're willing to pay no matter the brand, right? Surely you're all smart and mature enough to do that, yes?
>>
File: madVR settings.png (40KB, 758x447px) Image search: [Google]
madVR settings.png
40KB, 758x447px
Can anyone tell me if the following madVR settings are the best for Dell laptop with an SSD, 64-bit Windows 10 installed, an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 GPU, and 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz resolution?

Deinterlacing: "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed (if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing)". "Only look at pixels in the frame center" unchecked.
Artifact Removal: "reduce banding artifacts" and "reduce ringing artifacts" both unchecked
Chroma Upscaling: Bicubic75 with anti-ringing filter activated
Image Downscaling: DXVA2
Image Upscaling: DXVA2
General Settings: "delay playback start until render queue is full", "enable windowed overlay", "use Direct3D 11 for presentation", "present a frame for every VSync", "use a seperate device for presentation", and "use a seperate device for DXVA processing" all checked. Everything else is unchecked.
Dithering: Ordered Dithering
Smooth Motion: "Enable smooth motion frame rate conversion...only if there would be motion judder without it" checked.
Trade Quality for Performance: "store custom pixel shader results in 16bit buffer instead of 32bit" and "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" both checked. Everything else is unchecked.

If it's relevant, I'll be mostly watching stuff on a 40in Samsung SmartTV hooked up to my laptop with an HDMI cord.

Feel free to also give suggestions for the other options not listed above.
>>
File: 1464646711809.jpg (256KB, 550x1245px) Image search: [Google]
1464646711809.jpg
256KB, 550x1245px
>>59188823
if you match 75% on their 'requirements', you're good
>>
File: party.webm (1MB, 486x720px) Image search: [Google]
party.webm
1MB, 486x720px
how can I get this music stream to work in cmus? https://plaza.one/mp3
>>
>>59188823
Depends on what it is. If it's a particular language, emphasize your experience with out languages then just say some bullshit like "I'm a fast learner."
Or, depending on your comfort level, buy a "In a Nutshell" book for a crash course in the language to get enough information to bullshit your way through.
>>
Give me some advice here pls. I need a new processor that I won't have to upgrade in a year or two.

>I'm gayming at 2k and 144Hz
>running a GTX 1070
>getting bottlenecked hard by my i5 CPU

What processor should I go for? A cheap 6700k? The 7700k? 1700x?
>>
>>59188879
It's literally just underage fags shitposting, anyone who has been involved in the tech field for at least a few years could give a shit what kind of processor you use.
>>
File: Capture.png (70KB, 502x458px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
70KB, 502x458px
How does this bench look? I was some chink brand SSD I got for $15.
>>
Repost from a thinkpad general

Hey guys, using my x131e with the celeron specs.

I'm trying to get windows 10 the normal route.

let me explain myself
I currently am running a torrented version of win7 with a i think old kmspico cracked key.

now underneath the laptop is a windows 8 sticker.

also this laptop is given the option of uefi or legacy "port"(I'm using port since I don't know the actual term)

i've been told by a friend, that in theory, the win8 key is in the motherboard (idk how it works but ive looked online and is a real thing)

given that, my plan is to uninstall the cracked key on my win7 while booting win8 from usb in microsofts website.

when I get to the thing, it should naturally just find the key and not ask me, right?

I did boot win8 installation from usb drive before, but it asked me for a key anyways. I assume it's because that the fake is still on the computer.

am i wrong? I don't mind the botnet since it's my student laptop, and I heard win10 is better optimized for celeron 1007u than the standard win8.1

Thanks
>>
File: 1448074391755.png (55KB, 308x325px) Image search: [Google]
1448074391755.png
55KB, 308x325px
>>59188959
I hope so

>>59189147
it's kinda tricky because it's "system engineering", but if they're still the same as the last time I was over there, that's pretty much system administration with a few more responsibilities. Ofcourse I have 0 experience with such things in the real world since I'm currently part-time in software development while studying.
I have some classes that I can pick up which would come in handy for it + I still have time to learn on my own since they're no hiring yet, it's an inside info that they will, that's for sure.

I should be pretty close to my ''''''''''master's'''''''''''' degree (actually specialization degree) which is more than enough for the education requirements they'll have, but alas no real experience...
I wouldn't feel right getting this job pulling the strings that I have and then end up being totally incompetent at it
>>
>>59189259
>chink brand SSD I got for $15
I hope you're not planning to put any important data in that drive cause it's going to fail within two or three months
>>
>>59189234
What socket is your current i5 on?
>>
>>59189345
But I'm ok with buying a new mainboard and RAM.
>>
So I have an i7 6770k, 32 GB of DDR4, and a single R9 290 (don't ask). Every time I reboot my computer I have to press the power button like 19 damn times before I get any signal through my monitor. At first I thought it was my GPU because I'm getting BSoDs with 0x0EA error codes whenever I put any stress on the GPU (games, hardware acceleration on browser, etc.) but I've had a handful of instances of my monitor getting no signal when plugged straight into the mobo DVI port. (mobo is a gigabyte ga z170x if that helps) what the fuck is going on?
>>
>>59189363
In that case you could go with any of those cpus. None of those will bottleneck a 1070 and it comes down to whether you prefer stronger single core performance or not.
>>
Any windows program that record how much bandwight i used? If possible how much each individual program used?
>>
>>59189440
Sounds like a power delivery issue to your mobo
>>
>>59188738
How do I break old puushes?

I tried deleting one, an archive, using the my account button, but it's still accessible. I have the files downloaded already.
>>
File: 1479045602340.jpg (123KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479045602340.jpg
123KB, 960x720px
>>59189440
as a side, I'm getting a 1070 tomorrow. But my concern is that it's not just my GPU and something else and I'd rather not have to buy a new monitor/mobo/cpu etc as well as a GPU
>>
>>59189469
Didn't think about that. My psu is old as dicks (OCZ 850W from like 2009). I'd just hate to start throwing money and not get the issue rectified as cheaply as possible.
>>
Anyone got any Hard Drive recommendations in the 70$ price range?

I'm seeing a lot of well priced 3TB HDDs but I've heard those are apparently a bad deal.

WHat about the 2TB Toshiba HDDs?
>>
>>59189495
I have a 1TB Toshiba and it started shitting itself about half a year after I bought it
>>
I was reading about thermal grease conductivity, and I didn't expect it to be on the fucking single digits. But would lapping the surfaces, or even soldering the heatsink to the CPU with a low melting point, high conductivity element like tin help?
>>
>>59189515

Jesus christ
I've come across some HSGT UltraStars in my price range but I keep hearing bad things about buying not strictly "Gaming" HDDs

I'm on my PC constantly
>>
File: 1487082814713.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487082814713.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
How do I automatically arrange my music files into this order:
>Artist > Album > Song/s

/mu/ is useless
>>
>>59188738
Halp me bros, my computer is kill.
It was working fine but then there was a few days of extremely hot temperatures and even two blackouts. After that it was working fine but suddenly it shutted down. After a while I could start it again, but like one day after it stopped working entirely.

When I press the power button the processor's fan starts spinning but then it dies. I unplugged the GPU and it's the same. After a few tries, now i can't even get the fan to spin for 1 second anymore.

I'm assuming the PSU is fucked up, but it can't be dead, right? I mean, it's receiving power. The ethernet port has the light on and the motherboard light is also lit.

What could it be?
i don't want to buy a PSU just to see everything else is dead
>>
>>59189563
HGST are supposed to be the most reliable

I'm buying a WD Blue or Black soon, it's only 50 or 90 bucks so fuck it
>>
>>59189606
Your motherboard was probably damaged somehow, is there anything else you left out ? What happened in between and before the high temp + blackouts?
>>
>>59189663
Like were you swapping out ram or reseating the cpu?
>>
>>59189663
But what you described so far is telling me that the mobo is fried
>>
>>59189663
>>59189675
Nothing. I rebooted once or twice.

>>59189689
Really? Aw man, that's shit, but I need to be sure. How can I even check.
Also if it's fried why is the light still on?
>>
>>59188879
humans in general are retarded and will fanboy over all kinds of stupid shit
amd vs nvidia, xbox vs playstation, my sports team vs your sports team...
>>
Is there any way, on Android, to have fingerprints recognized, but to only allow password lock? For fingerprints to be used only for other stuff, ie app locks, password managers, etc.
>>
>>59189717
Yeah man, there's little things on the board called capacitors that can get damaged during a power surge, this effects the power delivery to the rest of your components.

Also there may have been damage to the circuits whenever the computer shorted out.

Check your cmos too
>>
File: CVtUajPUwAAFA9k.jpg large.jpg (77KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CVtUajPUwAAFA9k.jpg large.jpg
77KB, 768x1024px
how can i drill an ethernet cable from the router to my bedroom through the walls?

bored of using wi-fi and all the problems it brings me

lmao basically how do i get an ethernet cable to my room without mum going crazy!!
>>
>>59189929
i ran mine under my house and up through the floor /through the ceiling. ask your dad anon
>>
>>59189948
oh god
>>
>>59189855
I cleared the CMOS, I don't *see* any capacitor burned or anything. Any other idea?

Honestly I still think it's the PSU, but I wish there were other ways I could check
>>
>>59190039
PSU may also be bad like you said. That's difficult to diagnose over Internet posts though. Can't know for sure unless you have a power supply tester
>>
File: 1486990268427.jpg (143KB, 599x586px) Image search: [Google]
1486990268427.jpg
143KB, 599x586px
>>59188738
Not a question, but I wanted to drop this here:
You can quickly restart Firefox using
Shift + F2 
then writing
restart
in the console.
This is useful for people that loves to keep Firefox open for days, which makes it clogged with junk memory that decreases performance thanks to the garbage collector running wild.
I recommend setting
browser.sessionstore.restore_pinned_tabs_on_demand
to true in about:config, this makes it so that pinned tabs don't load when you start Firefox unless you click on them.
>>
Are the non-flagship phones that get pooped out with no commercials worth buying?

My flagship HTC M8 has shit the bed so hard, it's totally unusable, and it's only a couple years old. And a flagship.

Can I possibly buy a phone that for something like $200 without it being a turd or does a smooth android / iOS experience for a few years really cost $700+ every time I need a new phone?
>>
whats the best android emu
>>
>>59190151
You truly "get what you pay for" when it comes to phones still
>>
>>59190151
Price isn't a good indicator of user experience. The power of phones and their features have reached a point that manufactuerers are having to come up with BS features to try and sell new ones. You can find a lot of good shit for $200 w/o contract, just be aware that some lesser known models don't get a lot of root/rom support or future updates
>>
Been playing around with OBS, unfortunately I have a very shitty recording setup with a very loud fan going at all times and loud keyboard/mouse and etc.
I'm working on trying to reduce some of the physical noise myself, but I'm also wondering if there's a way to rip audio straight from a service like Discord that seems to work well at only capturing actual speech?

Also any general advice on noise management and minimizing background noise would be appreciated. Even with the gain as low as possible on my microphone my computer makes a hell of a racket.
>>
Does anyone here use the foobar2000 mobile UPnP feature?
>>
>>59190206
>>59190227
I don't think you really get what you pay for honestly. $700 is not worth a semi-decent performing phone that dies in exactly 2 years.

Is there any phone that does not fit the stereotype of turning into a piece of shit after that 2 year point? I really just need a cheap phone, and I'm afraid to buy used because of the 2 year lifespan of death by lag.
>>
>>59188580
>>59188748

Stuff like attack(), pickupItem(), move(), getItemFromInventory(), etc ... should be defined on a interface and every class that needs such functions should implement the necessary interface.

You also need to use abstract classes for stuff like characters and items, for example an abstract class named Character can have 3 children, Player, NPC and Enemy.

The rest its up to your design choices.
>>
So, External HDD 1 died. It was the most up to date.
External HDD was the second most up to date.

When I recovered HDD1, a majority of the files did not have names.

Is there a duplicate file program I can run to eliminate the majority of the revoered files from hdd 1, leaving only the newer files without names that aren't on hdd 2
?
>>
>>59190240
do what others do;
use a directional mic and put dampening material on the wall behind you to avoid reflections
>>
>>59190281
Any electronics can break. There's no magical 2 year mark where all phones expire. If you don't treat them like shit they usually last for years, with the possible exception of decreased battery life. And what you save buying used is usually enough to give you some leway
>>
>>59190338
Nope. Every flagship phone I've purchased has shit the bed with lag and glitches after about 2 years.
>>
ok fuck, i'm not a dev and need help with this shit

i have some small powershell scripts i need to distribute to several windows 2012 servers. when i update the code i need to be able to push the updated script to the servers (or have them pull it, even if it's via a scheduled task, i don't care which, it's not incredibly time sensitive)

i work on these scripts from my laptop, my pc, and some test servers, so need to be able to keep everything in sync. also prefer to have a 'central' repo which gets backed up regularly.

is this what git is used for? i have no idea where to begin with this shit. can someone give me a sample workflow i can use?
>>
>>59190281
My gs5 is from a few years ago and it still works fine.
>>
>>59188738
Is there a user specific alternative for /etc/environment where I can specify key/value pairs for environment variables?
>>
>>59190401
Could be down to the way you treat them. You can't go slappin mates with your M8. What rom are you using?
>>
File: index.jpg (8KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8KB, 280x180px
Should I get a 13' or a 15' laptop? I'm a mobile games developer who moves around a lot. Looking specifically at the Dell XPS.

13'
>Battery life - 11:00
>Weighs 1.2 kg

15'
>Battery life - 8:30
>Weighs 2.0 kg
>Nvidia GTX 1050

Key features for me are portability, which would make the choice obvious. But that GTX is very enticing.. Any opinions?
>>
>>59190471
That's the thing, I have a very good environment for a test about this 2-year thing because my entire family owns the same phone. Everyone's phone has turned into a laggy piece of shit. I personally tried reinstalling android several times, but after days of fucking around with the operating system nothing I did could make it run like it was new again.
>>
>>59190491
>What rom are you using?
>>
>>59188738
How much degrees you can lower in a CPU by delidding and lapping it?
>>
>>59190505
I don't remember. Stock HTC bullshit android 5.0.1
>>
>>59190638
There's your problem bro

https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/orig-development/rom-cyanogenmod-14-1-nightlies-htc-one-t3511673
>>
>>59190334
My microphone has directional settings, and is general purpose enough that I'd prefer not to get rid of it just for a more specialized mic. What kind of sound dampening material is commonly used?
>>
>>59190861
not sure about specifics, i just know people use them
>>
>>59190861
to clarify, I'm considering putting a sound-dampening "shell" around the fan that causes the most noise, depending of course on the materials involved.
>>
How much gayming performance am I missing out on by not upgrading to Windows 10 and thus DX12? Is Vulkan big yet?
>>
>>59190891
very little and no
>>
If i'm looking to buy a SBC should just get an odroid c2 when they restock? Is there enough support for it? Or should i just buy a rbp 3? Not doing anything too fancy yet but i want room to expand what i do with it. I see people saying stay away from orange pi due to SoC.
>>
>>59190861
Have you considered a separate microphone?
>>
So I just built a new PC and installed Windows 10 with an OEM I got from Kinguin, and I'm having trouble activating it. It says to call the automated phone number. Since it's an OEM do I choose the Volume licensing option?
>>
>>59190941
you can't use OEM keys
>>
>>59190888
there are several methods of reducing computer noise, such as;
- software to control fans to keep them at a minimal speed by targeting a set temperature
- rubber fan/hdd mounting things instead of screws
- acoustic dampening lining in cases
- fanless psu/gpu/cpu coolers
- rubber feet on cases, if yours doesn't already have them
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (165KB, 928x522px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
165KB, 928x522px
>>59190981
>>
>>59190941
No

>>59190981
Wrong. It's technically against microsoft's TOS, but everybody does it
>>
Opinions on this? Will be used for school. That numpad is kind of important to me because I am studying accounting by the way.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V65501149&cm_re=dell-_-1TS-000A-01CJ1-_-Product
>>
Question - If I save the url link to a 4chan thread, will I have access to it forever? Even after it's archived?
>>
>>59191091
No, threads only stay in the archive for a while, then they 404 and they're lost forever.
>>
>>59191091
I feel like I've seen this before...
>>
File: vegan-butterfinger.jpg (217KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
vegan-butterfinger.jpg
217KB, 600x399px
I dried some dates to make date sugar, and they had the texture of hard candy, so what would happen if I tried boiling date syrup to hard crack temperature? Could I make some "healthy" candy?
>>
>>59191077
That looks pretty good. It's not a raging powerhouse, but it's one of the better dual core/iGPU setups. Will work very well for most general use
>>
>>59191099
>>59191099
Okay. I've Got a lot of screenshotting to do
>>
>>59191091
Yes, the archive is permanent and you can always count on the links working.
>>
>>59191102
Nothing new happens here
>>
>>59190941

choose the 1st option
>>
>>59191112
Ok neat, yeah that is what I am aiming for. I just wanted to make sure that there werent any huge red flags, etc.
>>
File: a.jpg (273KB, 1668x1031px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
273KB, 1668x1031px
>>59191029
>>
what is he best way to backup my windows instalation?

I usually reformat and reinstall everything but lately I've grown lazy.
I just don't want to reinstall drivers everytime.
>>
>>59191091
>>59191121
Nothing lasts forever

https://web.archive.org/web/20161224192620/https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Main_Page
>>
>>59191172
Macrium
>>
>>59190981

yes it can - oems are just iffy but ringing the number solved any issues every single time I've built a computer
>>
>>59191029
Thanks for these suggestions, I'll look into elevating my case a bit with some rubber feet and see if that helps

My case is actually supposed to have several fans set up, which I'm sure would help reduce noise when set at a realistic target temperature since each fan would need to work less, but unfortunately the company I bought my case from is a no-name chinese scam (the struggles of a first build) and did not come with enough proper connections for all the fans to begin with. I may be able to buy the connection cables and suss out how to get the fans connected and working, though. Then it will only be an issue of getting a low-volume keyboard and mouse instead of the cheap loud equipment I have now
>>
>>59191217
As an additional option, would it be helpful to move the microphone further away from the sound source in addition to masking the noise? I'm more worried about there being an imbalance in the recording if the mic is far off to the side, though maybe this is something that can be re-balanced while editing?
Most websites I'm reading say to keep the mic at least 6 ft from any computer or other electronic noise source, but I don't see how this is supposed to work on a desktop setup.
>>
There's an ant that somehow managed to get inside my monitor and it's scrawling around under the screen and it won't come out. How the fuck do I get it out without damaging the screen?
>>
>>59191217
>My case is actually supposed to have several fans set up, which I'm sure would help reduce noise when set at a realistic target temperature since each fan would need to work less
most motherboards have one or more extra fan power connectors on them (in additional to the cpu fan connector), which allow for speed measurement and most importantly, software speed (pwm) control
you can generally safely run multiple fans off of one connector with a splitter

the idea, as you could imagine, is that you could have your fans run just "fast enough", that is, they run at a very low speed or even off under a certain cpu temperature, and speed up only to maintain a certain set maximum
this means you no longer have full blast fans going when your cpu is chilling out at a needless 25c
>>
>>59191294
Holy shit post pics lol
>>
>>59191306
My case has 6 total fans and only 3 (iirc) total fan connectors, and the instructions for how to connect them are non-existant (and the rest of the connection instructions in broken unintelligible English). Honestly it was down to luck that I got the main fan connected at all.
>>
>>59191294
you could try placing some insect bait/poison on or close to the outside of the monitor casing and hope it can detect it at some point

whatever you do, don't press on the screen, you'll probably just kill it and you'll never get it out
>>
>>59191186
thanks m8
>>
>>59191306
Not that guy but I've tried SpeedFan and it doesn't work when I try to change the case fan speed. Where do I have to plug the fans so it works?
>>
>>59191333
I don't know where it got into it, and the thing has walked around the perimeter of the screen several times so I don't think it knows where it got in either.
>>
Hello friends, I have a G230 headset, now I normally use push to talk and that's well and good, but for controller based games I like to use open mic. Problem is, the mic has some EXTREME feedback, and everyone can hear themselves.

I've tried tinkering with silence thresholds an shit, but nothings working.

Wat do.
>>
>>59188738
>2017
>not using shanaencoder

https://shana.pe.kr/shanaencoder_download/27313
>>
>>59191351
into the motherboard, peripheral/floppy/sata powered fans can't be controlled

note that speedfan might not be able to change the fan speed right out of the box, you might need to change some settings first
>>
When I got on the internet today, the playback function on several sites did not work

The first frame of the video would load and then freeze.

I tried updating my browser AND my video driver software and still nothing.

Any advice?
>>
>>59191389
Yeah I did google the issue and fiddled with some setting as per a couple forum posts I found, but it still didn't work
>>
>>59191391
Try uninstall and then reinstall
>>
are there third party fan designs for graphics cards? my gpu sounds like a 747 on take off when at full load and I was wondering if a different fan blade design would be quieter
>>
>>59188738
Why are professional mouse pads usually black when the goal of the sensor is to read the reflected light off the surface?

Wouldn't it technically help to have the mouse pad as white are possible?
>>
how likely am I to fry my computer by manipulating its innards without one of these static wrist band thingies

or is that just a meme?
>>
File: AA2368-1.jpg (939KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AA2368-1.jpg
939KB, 1000x1000px
>>59191416
worst case you can always get a standalone fan speed controller
>>
What are the advantages of Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS vs Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS? I heard 16 is a terrible lts version, should I install 14? Its still supported till 2019. Hoping 18.04 will finally have stable Mir/Unity 8.
>>
>>59191437
You could buy a waterblokc and build a custom loop. Ekwb makes good ones.
>>
>>59191465
It's happened, but you can easily avoid that by grounding yourself before touching anything
>>
>>59191465

Ground yourself by touching the case dude. No socks.
>>
How does my OS optimize my hard drive?
Sometimes it gives me randomly more space in disk than I previously had.
>>
>>59191519
>No socks.
rubber slippers okay?
>>
File: 1404510038162.jpg (57KB, 637x685px) Image search: [Google]
1404510038162.jpg
57KB, 637x685px
PLEASE NOTICE THIS!!!! I keep posting this question on these threads but no one ever notices.

Why are professional mouse pads usually black when the goal of the sensor is to read the reflected light off the surface? Wouldn't it technically help to have the mouse pad as white are possible to maximize the amount of information that is sent to the sensor?
>>
>>59191108
sugar doesn't magically become "healthy" just because it came out of a fruit.
in fact about 20% of the world already gets their sugar from beets rather than sugarcane.

Sugar doesnt make you fat because of some evil poison that the sugarcane processing plants put into it. It makes you fat because it has lots of caloric energy.
>>
>Ryzen
>$500
>thread performance less than $78 Pentium

Why is AMD so shit?
>>
>>59191581
>FUCK GOOD QUESTION

ANY MOUSEPAD EXPERTS OUT THERE?! WE NEED THIS SHIT ANSWERED ASAP
>>
>>59191581
they're not black enough to matter much
>>
>>59191609
Whole fruit is better because it had fiber and nutrients, so it spikes blood sugar less and is more satiating. Date syrup is whole dates blended with water.
>>
>>59188738
Can someone tell me what the big deal with Ryzen is? Theres been more hype for it than any other CPU, so it cant simply be 'its more powerful than the last chip/intels last chip' because that would happen every year.
Is it insanely more powerful or does it have some special feature or what am I missing?
>>
>>59191421
It works again.
Thank you
>>
>>59191465
Ive built several computers without it and never had an issue. Just touch a metal surface before and don't be wearing/contacting any wool.

>>59191449
My cheapass wireless logitech mouse works way better on black surfaces than on white. I imagine. For this reason alone I prefer buying darker wood tables, since I don't use a mousepad.

>>59191437
Won't make a difference, try reapplying thermal paste though.

>>59191369
Bind push to talk to a button on controller.

>>59190532
Highly situational, but since you want an answer, 5 or so 10 at most. Not worth the risk.

>>59190485
If you haven't owned a 13' before, get 13, you will appreciate the actual mobility it brings. If you owned 13' before and think you would be fine with 15, then get 15.
Also an advantage of 15 is you can install gentoo on it and run windows with a gpu passtrough to play your vidya or whatever. XPS 15 is also smaller than most other 15' laptops.

>>59190310
I'm not a programmer or anything but can't you like make hashes of the files and compare those then delete the matching ones?

>>59190151
200€ phone wont be much different to 700€ phone. Most additional features are gimmicks anyway. You should be fine. If anything goes wrong in 2 years, its mostly your will to keep up with new meme trends. You should change yourself rather than changing your phone.

>>59189259
Ok for a sata ssd, miserable if M.2
>>
>>59191369

PLEASE RESPOND
>>
>>59191691
Np
>>
File: hack.png (6KB, 40x40px) Image search: [Google]
hack.png
6KB, 40x40px
Can I listen to NJ's fucking pigs with this website?

http://k2sdr.dyndns.org:8902/
>>
>>59191654
It's supposed to be fast while using less power and being cheaper.
>>
>>59191581
My guess is that it's harder for dirt and oil to create a reflective surface to mess up the laser on black surfaces rather than white ones.

Lasers care more about reflection than color, as long as you don't get a red mouse pad.
>>
What movie should I watch?
>>
>>59191852
hitchikers guide to the galaxy
>>
How far up off carpeted ground should a computer tower be kept to prevent it from overheating due to lack of airflow?
>>
>>59191852
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/
>>
>>59191896
the more the merrier, about two fingers high should be enough though
>>
>>59191541
Probably just deleted some files it didn't need any more
>>
>>59191896
As long as it's not ON the carpet it should be fine I assume
>>
>>59191615
pls bite
>>
>>59191920
>>59191935
Any recommended means to elevate it? Other than just attaching some kind of feet to it myself.
>>
>>59191778
But this is not always true since Logitech mice use infrared and dark-field lasers while MS mouse pads use blue light
>>
Cheap x58 mobos, are they all gone to hell?
used is fine, as long as it has pci-e 2 and DDR3
>>
>>59191654
AMD has been saying for years they were on the verge of coming up with a radically different architecture that could get much better price/performance ratio and finally get them back on track against intel high end. Don't believe shit until it's been on the market for a month and had legit benchmarks run
>>
>>59191948
Old books
>>
>>59191958
The color of the laser (wavelength) doesn't matter too much unless it matches your pad really closely because it will absorb the light.
>>
File: IMG_2249.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2249.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>59189259
>How does this bench look
like trash
>>
>>59191993
can do, neat
>>
>>59192057
>comparing sata to m.2
>>
>>59192057
Learn to take a screenshot.
>>
Can I pay people to post on 4chan for me using MTurk?
>>
Microphone anon with one last question, assuming I can't get a decent recording setup without caving and buying a new mic, what's a recommended directional microphone?
>>
File: domaindecom.png (79KB, 1640x884px) Image search: [Google]
domaindecom.png
79KB, 1640x884px
I want to learn a bit more math and cool sort of programming. I know oop only which i think is kind of shit and this sort of stuff (domain decomposition) looks cool to me. My math level is one below this i think, because i did calc up to about this level (not sure of the us name but i did math 3ab specialist but not 3cd).

Wheres a good place to pick up from? thank you
>>
>>59192078
RAID-0 850 evos
>>
>>59192082
Learn to not shitpost.
>>
can i use my old gaming pc and turn it into a HTPC? for plex

its specs iirc
i3 540 @3.04ghz
gtx 660
8gbram

?? im curious how to do this or if thers optimal way
>>
Please look at the following mySQL queries:

SELECT term_id, term_desc, max_enrl FROM term LEFT JOIN course_section USING (term_id);

SELECT term_id, term_desc, max_enrl FROM term LEFT JOIN course_section USING (term_id) WHERE max_enrl < 200;

The former query includes null max_enrl entries. The latter does not. Can someone, in their most retard friendly language, explain why this occurs, and how to include the null values in the latter query?

Very much appreciated.
>>
>>59192138
Probably want to use Fiver
>>
How can I use my Android camera as a webcam on Linux?

I've tried googling it but haven't had much luck, I'm assuming someone else here has done it before anyway. Any help?
>>
Whenever I'm working inside the case of my computer, I get completely naked and climb on top of my wooden work bench in order to avoid static electricity discharge. I'm already planning on doing this when my 1800x arrives.
>>
>>59192272
Sure. There are more power efficient boxes out there, but it's no big. Are you wanting to make it the server or the client?
>>
>>59192347
Just throwing that out there?
>>
How hard is it to fix a laptop battery?

New it would cost $25 which is 2 times more than what i paid for the laptop.
And 18650 are $1 each.

Is it dangerous? hard?
>>
>>59192356
server. or do you think i7 6700k will be enough on my current rig while im playing games? its all local through LAN/wifi for family/myself
>>
File: 3rd world botnet.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3rd world botnet.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
How would you partition these hard drives to dual boot W10 and Loonix?

OS is an SSD, DATA is a HDD.
>>
File: tempcap.png (13KB, 456x239px) Image search: [Google]
tempcap.png
13KB, 456x239px
Will the 1080ti be compatible with my other hardware, without getting bottlenecked a lot?
If it's very slightly bottle necked, I won't be too concerned because I'll probably upgrade some other shit this year, too.
>>
File: ss.png (47KB, 400x367px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
47KB, 400x367px
>>59192082
Here you go, i could probably improve
>>
>>59192383
Windows -> Hyper-V -> ESXi -> PfSense/Sophos
gaying + server
don't even need a 6700K for that shit
>>
>>59192383
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-

If the files you're sharing are one their own disk drive, I doubt it will matter much. Although you do have to make sure whatever PC you use is on 24/7. Also if you hook up the old PC to an HDTV you have the benefit of making it a smart device
>>
Do I need to upgrade my PSu for this build?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RZNpRG
>>
>>59192303
I don't want a bunch of posts like marketing spam, but just a couple.
Like <$1 to post one thread would be perfect. But I don't know what realistic rates are.
>>
>>59192470
You're good, especially if you're actually OCing the processor. You might keep an eye on your memory to see if you're maxing it out a lot
>>
Any estimates on when a 1080 Ti Hybrid would come out? I'm working on a new build.
>>
>>59192553
Get a EVGA PSU.

Also why a 1150 build? third worlder?
>>
>>59192553
no, it literally tells you. however that build is fucking retarded, learn about what cpus to use on which mobo. you cant oc non k cpus yet you buy a z mobo, also wait for ryzen to release, its only a few weeks now. Not to buy but to see non leaked benchmarks.

also no hard drive bro, though you probs have one already
>>
>>59191852
the lawnmower man
>>
>>59192572
I haven't OCed my CPU, but I figured I would, if I get the 1080ti.
I'd also probably go from 8GB to 16GB because I'm pushing it occationally as it is.
>>
>>59192587
1 month before zen

>>59192593
hes just a retard
>>
>>59192553
Should be fine. The gpu calls it more than anything, and it says 300+
>>
>>59192632
When does Zen come out, also what is zen?
>>
Weird question. But recently I tried hooking my wii U up to a 24 inch monitor and the picture quality is absolutely horrible and I have no idea why. I used to play on a 21 inch tv and the quality looked so much better. I tried using two different 24 inch monitors both connected through hdmi and it just looks horrible on both. Any clue on what the issue could be?
>>
>>59192284
Giving my question just one bump. Going to bed soon.
>>
>>59192645
Ryzen, new AMD CPUs.
>>
>>59192646
Bad HDMI cable?

The old TV was 720p and new ones 1080p?
>>
>>59192632
Two months before Skylake/Kaby Lake-x
>>
thinking of getting a 144hz monitor.

my gpu can only get around 80-130 fps ingame.

will this mean i'll get screen tearing with a 144hz monitor?
>>
>>59192232
You'll probably have to learn a functional language and I think you're looking for a book like this. It scratches the surface of numerical methods of solving differential equations, but there is probably a more computer science oriented book out there on the same subject.
>>
>>59192645
whoops meant vega, new amd gpu

>>59192699
is this the book you used out of curiosity?
>>
>>59192698
Just turn on V-sync.
>>
>>59192593
from 15+ months ago before we got evicted from apt and it was all in storage.

finall got a new place and tax returns but not sure if I need to build a whole new system
>>
>>59192698
not if you use v-sync. the real question is why would you buy a monitor you cant use properly? but a 2k or 4k 60fps instead.
>>
>>59191294
Turn off the monitor for an hour or two and it'll find its way out. Don't eat around your computer.
>>
After upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10, my recovery drive is almost at its limit

How do I fix this
>>
>>59192810
Well then start with a recent build then and add a video card later on?

Read Logicalincrements.com

Wait for Ryzen(New AMD CPUs) even if you are going to buy intel for price drops.
Buy a I5-6500 or I5-7500.
Dont buy Z motherboards unless you get a unlocked CPU like I5-6600K or I5-7600K.
Buy a cheap B150/B250 motherboard.
What is the difference? Price, and with one you can overclock and with the other you cant.
>>
>>59192632
>>59192618
jesus chill out

this build it from almost 2 years ago and was away from me. lol already own it all just wondering
>>
>>59192845
Too obscure. Please elaborate
>>
>>59192889
Oh, then, its good.
Could use a better PSU.
And the HDD?
Add a SSD to it.
>>
>>59192889
>this build it from almost 2 years ago and was away from me. lol already own it all just wondering
what sort of a question is that then? dont tell me to chill out if im atcually helping you.
>>
>>59188738
There are any worth games for ubuntu?
>>
>>59192852
Yeah, i have all of this. it's not a future purchase. maybe i should just get a new mobo CPU and ram perhaps if deals are good.

I think people thought i was just making this build.
>>59192906
yeah already have SSD and 2TB storage

it's all running fine now just wondering if I should get a better PSU
>>
>>59192845
delete recovery drive, is this a hp prebuilt or something?
>>
>>59192794
>>59192822
>V-shitync
>willingly capping off at 60fps when your card can output much more
Dont listen to these tards.

>>59192698
If youre gonna get a 144hz monitor get one with Gsync.
Gsync matches your monitors refresh rate to your GPU's frame output. So like V-sync you wont get screen tearing but you also wont be capped at 60fps.
>>
>>59192930
When you post a PCPartpicker link people easy assume you are.
Should have posted a speccy screenshot instead.

Only get a better PSU if you ever plan in adding a more powerful card.
>>
>>59192689
I tried two different hdmi cords so that's not the issue. The old tv was a little lcd tv so I can assume it was at least 720p but the different between the two resolutions shouldn't be such horrible quality. Like it actually looks 480p.
>>
is there a pdf viewer for windows thats fast, can display 2 pages (like the way a text book would) and is completely full screen (no borders or anything?)
>>
File: wentworth-miller.jpg (369KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wentworth-miller.jpg
369KB, 1920x1200px
>>59192945
Yeah, my bad. I figure that now.
Not sure if there is much of a reason to upgrade now since I am just a mild gamer and all seems well. But yeah like I said this hardware was all sitting afk for almost 2 years so it is annoying.

Not sure if it is worth it for me to get new mobo CPU and ram desu.I think regardless I may step up to a 500 PSU for now and future reference
>>
File: file.jpg (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
11KB, 500x500px
Do "home theater" audio receivers ever have an input mixing feature? It's never listed, so I doubt it.

I want to mix two analog channels, or 1 analog + 1 digital, for headphone listening. My only other option is live performance equipment, which probably sound like garbage.
>>
>>59192978
Only get a new CPU and Motherboard and RAM the second you get a videocard that bottlenecks your current build.
>>
>>59192939
Yes
Hp envy 15
>>
>>59192845
>2017
>Recovery Drive
>>
>>59192699
>You'll probably have to learn a functional language
Why do you say this?
>>
Should I buy a PG348Q?

It seems perfect but since it's been out for a while I don't know if I should wait for the next one to come out or something.
>>
>>59192988
You don't need a recovery drive. And upgrading isn't ideal. For best performance/space saving, wipe your system and clean install 10
>>
>>59192986
See, that's the same page I am on. thanks. I'll just go up when I need to. thanks. No bottlenecks now at all and I only play diablo 3 PoE and lurk the web. And my FPS and temps are great
>>
>>59192974
sumatrapdf i think
>>
Is daz loader + clean iso still the best way to get Windows 7 without buying a license?
>>
>>59193015
Well then, if you ever feel like needing to spend money on it you could always buy a bigger SSD, or more storage, or a GTX 1060Ti and a EVGA 500B.
>>
>>59192986
Why not tell him to get an entirely new build while you're at it?
>>
File: 1461714676301.jpg (62KB, 554x390px) Image search: [Google]
1461714676301.jpg
62KB, 554x390px
For SD cards, how much does an extra 15 dollars make the difference? I see the different numbers and symbols, but I don't know how they affect anything.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NDL54C/ref=psdc_1197396_t3_B00WWBCSG4

>https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-UHS-I-Memory-SDSDUNC-064G-GN6IN/dp/B0143IIP4W/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_1_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MXTB5NNYBH6BBV76JS0Y
>>
>>59193032
Ok. That. And a new monitor would be good too
>>
File: 1464459901392.gif (3MB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
1464459901392.gif
3MB, 300x196px
>>59192944
wow rude
>>
>>59193029
Or more screens.

>>59193027
Yes.
>>
>>59193027
Yes
>>
>>59193034
In reliability? not a lot.
In speeds? a lot.
>>
>>59192988
delete it and do a fresh install of windows.

Use your code and youll be g.

>>59193022
cheers, horrible color choice tho
>>
>>59193034
If you're not doing 4k recording, it really shouldn't matter
>>
>>59189472
Why don't you have a seat over there?
>>
>>59193027
the best? the best is probably piggybacking off a friend's volume license, but daz just werks and still just werks

reminder that MS intentionally gimped the update procedure last year, and you might have issues getting beyond SP1 without installing a few updates manually.

1. Install KB3020369 & Restart
2. Install KB3125574 & Restart
3. Install KB3138612 & Restart
4. Install KB3145739 & Restart
5. Install the latest cumulative monthly rollup: January 2017 (KB3212646) & Restart

then remove telemetry updates.
>>
has anyone experienced a usps lost-package "case investigation"?

i was suppose to get a gtx 1070 2 days ago, the tracking thing said it was delivered but i never got shit. so i called usps and they assigned a "case investigator" to try to locate my shit

he called me the next day and said that when packages are dropped off, the worker will scan them with a little gadget that also sends a geolocation of where they are. so he's gonna look into that and get back to me.

i live in an apartment complex that uses the typical mailboxes. basically packages get put into a big locked box, and then the key for that box is put in the recipients mailbox so they can retrieve it later. i saw the usps person outside my apartment at 10:20~ on the day that it was supposedly delivered, but they didnt drop off anything and the website said it was "delivered" on 10:01 so im assuming that they dropped it off at the totally wrong place.

im just wondering what happens in these cases. they asked me for the value of the item, so im guessing theyll reimburse me if someone just took it after they misplaced it? i called my apartments frontdesk and they said nothing was dropped off, so im guessing whoever got it plans on keeping it.
>>
If you have a 4k monitor can you still play games in 1080p/1440 on it? Will they look worse?
>>
File: kupo.png (37KB, 658x511px) Image search: [Google]
kupo.png
37KB, 658x511px
>>59193029
my storage is fine. I have a few SSD's and good storage HD. but I think I will get a better PSU
>>
>>59193085
Of course you can, and yes, they will look worse, comparable to how a modern console game might look on 4k display.

Turning the rendering resolution down has been the poor man's way to play new games for a long time.
>>
>>59193085
i have a 4k display and dont even notice a difference between 1080p games and 4k. its a noticeable difference on desktop programs though.

but i only really play For Honor and Sims 3 so your mileage will vary..
>>
>>59193126
Well I'll wait for the 1080ti benchmarks but unless it's playing everything at 60 on 4k I guess i'll stick to 1440
>>
>>59193085
1440 will look worse. 1080p scales perfectly, although the slight blurriness of a native 1080 pixel can be a little more forgiving than 4 4k pixels
>>
File: dog.jpg (131KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
131KB, 500x414px
What can I do with an i5-2500k that just died? Tested on multiple new and borrowed 1155 mobos, you can always POST, but you can't boot anything. It's fuckin' dead.

Here's what I have for tools:
>.30-06
>Homeowner-sized tractor with hydraulic woodsplitter
>Soldering iron
>Drill press

Unfortunately I don't own a katana or any other kind of sword
>>
>>59193167
Right now, you should be way more concerned about framerates than resolution. 1440p144 is significantly better than 4kp60 for video games, in every universe, even if you are blind. And like the other guy said, 1080 scales by 2x (an integer) into 4k, while 1440 does not.
>>
>>59191556
No,you must be completely naked or static will kill your pc
>>
>>59193040
>>59193044
>>59193069
Thank you kind anons
>>
>>59193076
I don't think this is a question that anyone here can help you with. You are better off just keeping in contact with the shipping company about the whole ordeal.

People suck tho
>>
>>59191556
>rubber slippers okay?
why do retards think rubber souls stop you from being conductive?

on that note static and computers is over rated to the max.
>>
>>59193178
Feed it to dog
>>
>>59193206
Is there anything to know about 1440p. I understand it's 16:9 like 1080p but are movies letterboxed more?
>>
>>59193238
rubber shoes stop you from conducting electricity through yourself into the ground
which is useful if you are for some reason working with live wires

doesn't help against damaging computer components with static electricity though
>>
>>59192656
>he former query includes null max_enrl entries

It depends on the RDBMS but most database do not consider NULL to be 0, the second query selects the values between -∞ and 199 (theoretically of course), in some RDBMS there are functions to consider NULL as 0 on a query.

A simple way to include the NULL values would be adding:
OR max_enrl IS NULL;
>>
>>59193255
>I understand it's 16:9
>but are movies letterboxed more?

Of course not. Movies are letterboxed at exactly the same ratio. With a 60hz monitor, just like a 60hz TV, you'll experience some necessary framerate conversion (like a few repeated frames every minute), but unless you're some kind of videophile, you will not notice.

>Is there anything to know about 1440p

If you're still on windows 7 you'll probably want to turn up the DPI setting to 125%. Everything gets fucking small.
>>
>>59193260
Optimal protection against transferring static is rubber dildo in ass.

It's the meta all enthusiasts use
>>
>>59193321
Is there a good number for circumference or total mass I need to shoot for?
>>
>>59193299
Thanks.

I'm probably going to get an x34a
>>
>>59192460
It depends on which system you use more, but if this its your main computer i recommend getting a new just SSD for linux, 120GB its too short for a modern system.

I have a similar setup on my desktop with a 240GB SSD split in half for windows and half for linux then on my HDD i have 700 GB for windows user directories and 300GB for /home.

But on my laptop i have a 120gb SSD just for linux and windows its on a 500GB HDD.

If you're restricted to just those drives, then install linux on your HDD, because windows use at least 3 primary partitions to install, leaving you with only one primary partition to install linux which its a pain to setup.
>>
>>59193335
If you really want to play it safe, I would say no less than 12inch or 300mm long and about the same girth of a Coke can
>>
>>59193335
in my professional opinion, the best option for static protection would be an extra-large sized Virgil The Drippy Dragon dildo from Bad Dragon
Make sure to pay the $20 extra for realistic ejaculation action
>>
>>59193321
I heard iron dildo is more conductive?
>>
>>59192762
I learned diff eq from an older version of the same book, but what little programing I did in MATLAB was all linear algebra.
>>59193003
I should have said that purely OOP seems like a poor tool to tackle this kind of math where doing functional things like passing functions as arguments makes too much sense. There's a reason why multi-paradigm languages like R, python and MATLAB are used in the sciences instead of Java.
>>
>>59193440
i don't think they make them out of iron
surgical steel is quite good though
>>
>>59192699
ok im trying to read this but jesus its impossible to follow. I think because its american the logic is alien to me.
>>
File: OG xbox component cable.png (296KB, 1363x565px) Image search: [Google]
OG xbox component cable.png
296KB, 1363x565px
Guys how can I hook up an original Xbox to my VGA CRT monitor?

I need an active upscaler or convertor box right? no way to do it cheaply?
>>
File: hack.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
hack.png
1MB, 1366x768px
What program is this that this hacker used to hack this wifi WPS and then the PSK? What is the command line to do it?
>>
>>59193505
WPS vulnerability is the most efficient way to crack a modem.

Its on the wiki, look it up.
Dont get caught, you can easy go to jail.
>>
File: GROUND ROD.jpg (18KB, 399x144px) Image search: [Google]
GROUND ROD.jpg
18KB, 399x144px
>>59193321
>>59193440
>>59193447

What you guys want its a solid cooper ground rod at least 1.5 meters long like in the pic.
>>
>>59193505
did you try literally reading the words in the image you posted anon?

just google "pixiewps"
>>
>>59193424
>in my professional opinion
Did you mean "from my personal experience "?
>>
Do any of you anons have an offline machine? (That has never been or will be online)
I want to make an archive (Hoard files and data in case its needed when the internet becomes cencored)
Would appreciate some insight.
>>
>>59193705
Why would you need a separate offline computer to do that?
>>
>>59193705
Define offline. I have a 2TB NAS open to LAN and WLAN but not the internet
>>
>>59193705
so you're asking /g/ how to set up a media server for your cp?
>>
>>59193546
I don't think that'll fit. Guess I'm not cut out to be a computer technitian
>>
>>59193705
Unless you're paranoid a NAS its good enough.

But if you are, then a Gentoo machine on a AMD build (Intel chipsets are know to be a botnet), using LUKS for encryption and a 4MB password stored on a flash drive hidden somewhere, with local network access only or even sneakernet only, its the best i can think of.
>>
>>59193794
you just need lots of practice, anon
>>
>>59193794
It doesn't have to fit completely, you need to leave enough copper out to touch the ground or else its useless, you can also use it as chair once you earn your Microsoft MCSE or Cisco CCNA cert.
>>
>>59193810
>AMD build (Intel chipsets are know to be a botnet)
its like you dont even know amd anymore. they have built in botnet too
>>
>>59193922
reposter lmao. have 144 output duhh
>>
>>59193942
What?
>>
I have 8 different internal 3.5 inch drives..

What's the best way a road warrior can safely store and access them when he moves alot? Do they make seedbox cases or something that are compact-ish but fit that many drives?
>>
File: marisa.gif (3MB, 492x283px) Image search: [Google]
marisa.gif
3MB, 492x283px
>>59193920
What??, since when??. shit then VIA should be the only x86 platform left without botnet, guess i will have to migrate to those russian VLIW boards in the future.
>>
>>59193970
Written on tombstone...
>Here lies annon, who's ratio was high enough to fill the porn needs of several small countries
>>
>>59194007
>Trusting the ruskies
You wouldn't happen to be a kaspersky man?
>>
>>59194007
thats actually why fx8350 is the best cpu for the security conscious.

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=amd+trustzone&cat=web&pl=opensearch&language=english
>>
>>59193970
Cheap and easy? anti vibration/noise cages for HDDs exist for something like this, but they're aren't exactly bulletproof.
>>
what is a good vpn service?
>>
>>59194069
Just keep reposting and it will go away eventually
>>
>>59194045
Wrong kind of security
>>
>>59194104
kys
>>
How to prevent screentearing without meme-sync?
I have a 1070 + i5-7500, and a 144hz monitor.
>>
My external got depowered during a format. Now it doesn't mount,can't be initialized, has input output errors, can't be zero'd with dd, and can't recover a partition with testdisk. SMART says it's okay but it doesn't get a drive letter or show in fdisk. Is it time to hammer it for data destruction, or is it salvageable?
>>
>>59194069
Either V-sync to 144fps or enable double/triple buffer.

Another way is making double the amount of frames per hertz but since you have a 144Hz monitor that means you need 288fps so unless you're playing half-life 1 you wont making that much frames with a 1070.
>>
I can't log in to my router, not the wifi but the router itself.
It's the shitty one my internet provider gave me. I set it up when I first got my internet, set the password, logged in many times to change my wifi name/password. But now suddenly it won't work, I tried pushing the reset button with a paperclip to set it back to default like the manual said, except even that doesn't work. Any suggestions?
>>
File: file.png (43KB, 250x216px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
43KB, 250x216px
Linux Mint 17.3 here

i'm trying to run this batch downloader in wine but it won't appear on screen

https://github.com/johanneszab/TumblThree/releases

is there something i'm doing wrong
>>
>>59194193
Call your ISP, tell them to give you access to the router again, they sometimes disable the access to the webGUI because fuck you.

Sometimes they just change the IP (once they moved mine from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1), try running NMAP to search for the right IP.
>>
>>59194224
Thanks I'll try nmap
>they sometimes disable the access to the webGUI because fuck you.

This seems possible, they don't like me ever since I used 1.2 terabytes of data in a month.
>>
Test.
>>
Hi /g/uys,

I have a laptop with Windows 10 on it. It has a USB 3.0 port, and no CD/DVD drive in it.

I have an external HDD, and I'm using my friends PC to try and download Windows XP/7, so I can play FFXI, which has a lot of problems running on Windows 10.

Is it possible to install the older OS on the new laptop, getting rid of W10, with just an external HDD?

It's not a flash drive, it's a 4TB external HDD.

Thanks for any help.
>>
>>59194467
enjoy your ban
>>
I just picked up an old Dell Optiplex 780 workstation with a Core 2 Quad, 4GB DDR3 RAM, and an HD 3540 standalone video card. I'm planning on using this thing as an htpc. All of my video is in 1080p at around 10-20Mbps with 5.1 surround mixing at around 509Kbps (typical scene 1080p blu-ray rips). I have a few questions.

Question 1: Will this old workstation be able to handle this kind of content?

Question 2: What's the best OS for an HTPC with those specs? I'm torn between windows 8.1/10 for the familiarity, but I know Linux distros are much more lightweight. That said, I don't want to fuck around too much getting drivers for the video card.

Question 3: (this is the really stupid one) would it be better to use the video card or the motherboard output for this? I ask, because I know the core 2 quads aren't terrible cards AND the mobo has a Displayport out connection. I know in most cases, yes, use the video card ports, but this one has me wondering.
>>
>>59194505
Tough to say. Old windows has a hard time processing 2tb+ drives in general, but it might work, if you set the install partition as active and get the bios to acknowledge it. You'll want to patch windows with xhci though

http://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
>>
What are the differences betqeen AM3 and AM3+ motherboards/Socket?
>>
>>59194505
Make a partition under 2TB.
Create the bootable installer on it.

Also buy a USB, should be $5-8.
>>
>>59194065
what are the cons? I won't be using it on the road, but I'd like to pull it out when I need it in my room and access all my data.
>>
>>59194505
It would be easier to get FFXI running on Win10 than what you're wanting to do. Your easiest solution is to dual boot Win7 and 10 by partitioning your existing HDD. The trouble with that is many newer laptops don't have drivers for the keyboard/touchpad, WiFi/NIC, etc for windows 7.

If your laptop is powerful enough, you could try and run an virtual machine for Win7, but unless you've got a really nice CPU and a discreet GPU, it's doubtful you could play even FFXI in a virtual environment.
>>
>>59194505
Remember to use MSI smart tool if you plan to boot from the USB 3.0 port.
>>
>>59194680
Mentioned in the pastebin, it's better to use brand-specfic tools where available, and if it's skylake or kaby it won't matter whether it's 3.0 or not
>>
>>59180975
>subsidize some of the price with ads, if you hate ads and don't want to do this then they lose their edge in this market a bit
Non-US so I am not eligible for the ad version.
>>
>>59194810
Kobo is an option. I have the Glo HD and it's pretty nice, besides a few issues: frequent slow to repsond and laggy, glossy rim around the screen which can be a problem when using external light sources, feels like it will break under its own weight if held from only one end. I suspect the engineers compromised its strength to get its mass down to exactly the same as the competing Kindle's.
>>
What's the best book or resource to learn Windows Server 2016 from the ground up?
>>
>>59194643
cons, none, but they don't provide perfect protection.

> I won't be using it on the road

Then its not a problem, HDDs can take some mild rattling when they aren't spinning.

If you want a solid solution, build a FreeNAS server and leave it on your home network.
>>
File: 1487944159899.gif (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487944159899.gif
1MB, 800x800px
>Is there a tweak to get windows7/10 folders to open while I drag something onto them and hover there?

Have a peep
>>
>>59195121
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>59195121
I hear they're planning on including it in 11.
>>
>Buy new APC BE850M2 UPS from Amazon.
>Connect battery.
>Only beeps continuously, doesn't flash light.

what the fuck is wrong with it? Battery tested @ 13+ volts.

Here's a video showing smaller unit doing exact same thing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN3ZrD-x-QQ
>>
Will Hiro ever restore the 404'd active images on the slow boards? Why is he just sitting on this?
>>
>>59195246

My APC beeps when the power goes out and it's actually using the battery. Is yours plugged in to the wall yet or did you just put the battery in?

Mine doesn't make any noise if it's working normally and the power isn't out.
>>
>>59195274
It's plugged in.

Continuously beeping, no LED shown.
>>
>>59195287
check/reset the fuses.
>>
>>59195287

And pressing the button doesn't stop the beeping? And what about pressing and holding the button the shut it off completely, then turning it on again? Does the beeping start again?

If so then I'm not sure, mines a different model but maybe something's just malfunctioning in that one.
>>
>>59195313
Circuit breaker on side isn't popped out.

>>59195315
Pressing and holding turns it off. Turning it on causes it to beep again.

wtf?
>>
>>59195325
Bump!
>>
>>59195143
Myself.
>>
do i need to do anything special except removing /dev/sdb1 to install windows 8 there? UEFI/GPT, i need it for 3ds max.
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb 8:16 0 465,8G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 465,8G 0 part /media/dane
sda 8:0 0 931,5G 0 disk
├─sda2 8:2 0 14,9G 0 part [SWAP]
├─sda3 8:3 0 916,1G 0 part /
└─sda1 8:1 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi
>>
How long until there will be 3rd party 1080tis released?
>>
Best CPU for 1070
>>
Is there any way in gnome to remove window decorations for a specific application without installing Maximus or using Compiz? I thought the answer might light in the metacity theme XML but that yielded no answers.
>>
Looking into Private Internet Access. I like how it has its own retard proof application since will be my first VPN and I have no clue what I'm doing. My question is, does anyone know if this application messes with my router configuration, or permanently alter the network settings on my PC?
>>
old pc died but Im pretty sure the boot hard drive is fine.
can i install and boot it up in another pc even though the new pc has different mobo, cpu and gpu?
i want to take all my files off it.
>>
>>59196529
You can try, it works sometimes.
Just boot into live ununtu from a usb and copy the files over.
>>
>>59196423

I used to use PIA and it didn't affect the router for anyone else connected to the internet.
>>
Not sure if this belongs in /CSG/ or here but I'm looking for a cheap external adapter simply for sometimes using my neighbours wi-fi. I have my own wired connection but would like sometimes hop onto theirs
>>
File: 1450659832892.png (293KB, 450x399px) Image search: [Google]
1450659832892.png
293KB, 450x399px
Who is this guy?
>>
>>59196877
probably bait but I'll bite.
It's Richard M Stallman, known for founding the GNU project and creating Emacs. In recent years he's spent his time advocating 'free' software (free as in freedom, not price). 'free' basically means it's open source, you can change the source code and share it however you want.
>>
Has anyone ever experienced that their display freezes but networking (everything else probably) still works?
I've got a SLI config with 2 GPUs and the last few days it started freezing but I noticed I can still browse, copy and move any files shared on my pc.
>>
>>59196919
thanks for specifying what OS you're using, what your GPUs are, and all the other useful information you provided.
>>
>>59196906
It wasn't bait. Thanks
>>
>>59196925
Why should I have specified that? I'm not asking for help, I just asked if anyone has ever experienced this.
>>
>>59193732
Because it needs to be botnet free.

>>59193754
Offline as in not connected to any network.

>>59193761
>for you cp
No what the fuck? I want to create an archive.

>>59193810
Intel and AMD both have the botnet features. Although that won't matter since it'll be offline.
I was thinking of building a cheap AM1 socket build, but a NAS might be good.
>>
Can I keep the /home/ folder if I want to reformat and reinstall a linux distribution?
>>
It is possible to use another app or program to connect to "whatsapp services" without using the whatsapp official client?
>>
File: 20170302230346_1.jpg (269KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170302230346_1.jpg
269KB, 1920x1080px
I just built this PC today, and I'm not overclocking the CPU at all, yet it's this hot. I applied a usual amount of thermal paste before putting the heatsink on.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/m4nHQV
>>
>>59197067

running speccy while I play and it says I never go above 60-70
>>
>>59197067
>Samsung and toshiba
goodbye data
>>
Are you supposed to dilute cold brew coffee with more water before drinking it?
>>
This morning i had a problem with my cpu temp, which i didnt have the evening before.

Mobo: Asus Rampage 4 BE
CPU: I7 4820K
H100 cooler

When i turn on the pc the CPU temps instantly climb to 80 degrees celcius and stay between 70-80 after that.
The light on the H100 work, the fans on the rad are spinning, the CPU pump is not very warm to the touch.

Anyone have an idea where to start?
>>
>>59197067

msi afterburner's temp readings are always retarded - just ignore it
if speccy says it's around 60-70 you're alright

>>59197096

you're a retard
>>
I got my desktop as a gift from some friends and I'm sure my Windows (10 Pro) is just pirated. It's now constantly saying that I need to update my key. How can I stop these notifications from popping up?
>>
>>59197193
kms, or whatever it's called I think it's called kms
>>
my laptop makes a sound like something is settling down inside, like a swizzz and a click every hour probably, even when I'm not using it I think it's either the hard drive or cd drive. but I don't know if it's something to be worried about.
>>
>>59197217
Is that supposed to be a cracker?
>>
>>59197193
you need to get KMS pico, only their forums are safe to download from, or, usually it comes inside pirated windows ISO files

or ask a nice friend to help ya,
>>
>>59197193
You should reinstall without the malware

http://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

http://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10
>>
File: 1461500485282.jpg (92KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1461500485282.jpg
92KB, 400x400px
>>59197240
You're a cracker
>>
>>59197148
Contact between the block and cpu is secure?
>>
>>59197096
meme urself to sleep boy
>>
>>59197262
yes it is, and was also last night before i shut it down.
The corsair logo on the H100 started cycling RBG again instead of the solid white which i set it to before.
AI Suite says the cpu fan is at 0rpm, but both rad fans are spinning.
The H100 pump that is over the cpu itself is also not very warm to the touch.
>>
>>59197286
How did you figure out u got a temp problem, the corsiar LEDS were the indication?

Does BIOS show fans rpm 0 too?
>>
>>59197151

ok cheers
>>
File: 1367072064671.png (96KB, 437x354px) Image search: [Google]
1367072064671.png
96KB, 437x354px
>>59190414
help me faggots
>>
File: asd.png (47KB, 400x363px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
47KB, 400x363px
>>59197286
also,
read:
>>59197151
+
set BIOS CPU thermal warning to 70C' and make sure u got a speaker, then start applying pressure til u hit the sound
>>
>>59197248
Can I just follow the instructions in this link for activating a copy of Windows 10 using the toolkit link they provide? Will this fix my problem?
>>
File: ChromeCPDetector.jpg (73KB, 960x506px) Image search: [Google]
ChromeCPDetector.jpg
73KB, 960x506px
>>59188738

A laptop with above-average battery life (3+ actual hours and not 'estimated hours') and a high-resolution screen that doesn't have soldered storage or an obscene price tag.

Does it exist? Who do I need to apply blowjobs to for it?

Primary purpose would be doing programming, but I do a lot of traveling as well and am not always near power outlet.
>>
>>59197313
>>59197313
Yes, bios show high temp and 0 cpu fan rpm. AI suite shows the same.
Plus that ROG lcd screen monitor that comes with the mobo that you plug in the front shows the high temps.
>>
>>59190414
Thats how my webdev pushes content to my cpanel, FTP account for the transfer, the rest is done the the git magic thingy perhaps.
>>
>>59197067
When you see normal amount we're talking very little, right?

You need a layer of skin thick we're talking on the CPU. More than that will only impact cooling performance.
>>
>>59197375
If your problem is that windows is bitching at you, yes. If your problem is that your ghetto limewire copy of windows is forwarding your bank account passwords to russian botnet farmers, then not so much
>>
>>59197422
Thank you very much for the help!
>>
>>59197416

at according to speccy

idle is about 30-40

load is 50-65 at the most
>>
>>59197443
Those are acceptable parameters. Operating within that range won't cause you CPU to die.

However if the numbers are uncomfortable for you nevertheless I'd recommend some form of enthusiast cooling solution.
>>
>>59197389
all fans are in fact spinning, correct.
Resit the CPU fan power cable
try the CPU warning thing i wrote before, if it triggers the alarm.
what MOBO and BIOS rev
>>
>>59197472

at the moment my cooler is a Cryorig H7
>>
>>59197067
>i7-7700K
Just de-lid it. Intel cheap out on there cpu thermal paste. You will notice a -20C reduction in temps.
>>
>>59197486
>>59197503

i applied thermal paste that came with the cooler
>>
>>59197486
I know, I checked the build you linked before giving my 2 cents on the matter.

When I say enthusiast cooling I really mean anything above air cooling. But like I said, your temperatures are fine if its 65 at max.
>>
>>59197510
No. There is thermal paste inside the cpu - de-lidding and re-applying THAT paste is what will improve 7700K temps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KFzoFwYrE
>>
>>59197151
>msi afterburner's temp readings are always retarded

This. It should only be used to gauge FPS in my opinion.
>>
>>59197538

oh right cool I'll look into it if I start hitting the 70s
>>
>>59197538
delidding is advanced
>>
>>59197237
Check the power settings, might be that the hard drive is set to turn off when not in use.
>>
what programs other than msi afterburner can I use to monitor GPU temperatures ingame?
>>
>>59197193
install gentoo
>>
How often do you reapply thermal paste to your CPU and GPU?
>>
>>59197640
Don't go taking apart your GPU unless you know what you're doing. You probably won't use it to the point where it'll begin to melt anyway.

I'd say from personal experience you should probably do that every 1 & 2/3 years to 2 years.
>>
>>59197640
I did mine for the first time in 4 years last week. shit was fucking dry. So Im gonna do it every 2 years now
>>
>>59197680
I'll be happy if I can just lower its maximum gaming temperature by three or four degrees since that would mean the difference between the fans making the noise of a 747 on takeoff and the sound of a 747 on idle
>>
>>59197722
Then I'd suggest getting a new cooler in that case.
>>
>>59197778
>>59197778
>>59197778
>>
File: gook.jpg (222KB, 665x782px) Image search: [Google]
gook.jpg
222KB, 665x782px
Is there a way to bulk make MP3's louder?

I'm trying to set up the custom radio thing in GTA5 (inb4 fuck off back to /v/) and while it works, all the MP3's (using these because it's all it will accept) are super quiet.

Need to make like 250 songs louder.
>>
>>59194620
One lets you upgrade from small heater to housefire
>>
>>59197847
turn up the radio volume noob
>>
>>59197942
Then all the other stations are stupid loud, noob.
>>
At what point should I buy a new external hard drive? I have a Toshiba 1.5TB and I've had it for about 3 or 4 years. Am I nearing failure and should I buy another?
>>
>>59197286
Dude how'd you get it to cycle rgb I hate having mine stay as one color
>>
>>59197357
Install gentoo
Thread posts: 390
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.