[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pcbg/ - PC Building General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 25

File: KabyLake_RAMspeed2.png (47KB, 604x620px) Image search: [Google]
KabyLake_RAMspeed2.png
47KB, 604x620px
Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
https://pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards at 1080p are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
http://pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with >>>/g/pcbg

Old Thread >>59044582
>>
good ram speed chart, maybe finally people will realize that ram speed is just as important as cpu clocks, and that the cpu can get bottlenecked by the memory, just like the gpu can get bottlenecked by the cpu
>>
so what brand of GTX 1060 6G should i get?
>>
So a Ryzen 1700X and a RX 4800 would be the best combo for streaming games on twitch, right?
>>
>>59068072
Fast RAM is a good reason to get an overclocking board like a Z series, despite the extra expense. Let's say that the extra cost between the Z mobo and the fast RAM is $60. That's about 10% on top of a $600 build, an a lot of those games show about a 10% FPS increase. Also the RAM speed has an even bigger effect with less powerful CPUs, so getting an OC chipset with even a low powered CPU provides noticeable worthwhile benefits from a price/performance perspective.

Not to mention the other benefits to a Z mobo, like a better upgrade path and better turbo.

>>59068298
If you're streaming / making money off AAA games I'd say a 1070 will help keep you at max details and a good framerate
>>
File: Ryzen build.png (92KB, 711x754px) Image search: [Google]
Ryzen build.png
92KB, 711x754px
How is this Ryzen build?
>>
>>59068417
You need to wait for benchmarks and figure out whether the B chipset supports XFR. Otherwise that CPU is clocked a little bit low for gaming
>>
>>59068135
the 8G RX model
>>
>>59068417
>>59068481
Actually I don't even think the 1700 supports XFR
>>
>>59068520
Only the processor with the X behind it support XFR. The 1700 is designed to be sold to OEM.
>>
>>59068417
Get at least 500w psu.
>>
>>59068028
So with ryzen out is there any reason to pay for expensive gaming water coolers/noctuas when you can just get a decent overclock on the stock cooler?

Really makes me think about all the money you save with Zen
>>
>>59068490
what RX 480 model then?
>>
>>59068649
>when you can just get a decent overclock on the stock cooler?
1700x and 1800x comes WOF.
1700 comes with Wraith Spire, not Wraith Max (the one that had 212 evo temp). Doubt you're going to get a decent overclock out of it.
>>
>>59068629
not for that cpu, 1700 only sucks up 65 watts
>>
>>59068028
Friendly reminder to not get the i5-6500 over an i5-4690k

Something like $60 less that you can spend on a better motherboard to overclock it with and get better performance
>>
>>59068649
>>59068824
Did AMD say if they were releasing the 1700x without a cooler? I mean, I already have a Cryorig H7, and I would not use the stock cooler.
>>
>>59068895
Preorders on Amazon for the 1700x and 1800x don't have coolers. Just the 1700.
>>
best AM4 mATX mobo?
>>
>>59068895
They didn't, but that's what every retailer from every country is stating.
1700x & 1800x no cooler, 1700 Wraith Spire

>>59068961
We haven't seen much mobo so far.
The cheapest i've seen was a $99 micro-atx one, 6 sata 1 PCIex16 and even a M.2 slot
I'm hoping for lower price to be revealed in the following days.
>>
So Kaby Lake is confirmed blunder of the century, right? Absolutely zero reason to buy it over Skylake?
>>
>>59069134
For desktop where you're capable of overclocking yourself, yes it's pointless.
For laptops, Kaby lake is almost a necessity with the lowered heat output
>>
>>59069134
Higher clock speeds. It's pretty much the same price, there's no reason to not get it desu.
>>
>>59069134
I mean not necessarily. We've seen Cinebench scores for Ryzen, but not any FPS tests, video/audio rendering tests. I still think the Kraby Lake i7 will have greater single-core performance.
>>
>>59069232
I've seen 3 single thread benchmarks over the last few months (one of them is recent), in all of them the 6700 and 7700 win, everybody on /g/ said that they were inaccurate and that you shouldn't trust leaks
>>
>>59068028
https://youtu.be/3rUndzpdo1I?t=10m19s

>rgb stock cooler
AMD won
>>
>>59069232
>video rendering tests
We did see a Handbrake test, running alongside that 8core i7.
>>
so i wanted to build a gaming pc for about $800-$850 and then i heard about the new amd processor ryzen. what price is it going to be at? is it worth waiting for it?
>>
>>59069232
Video rendering has always been to AMDs advantage using every single core together whether or not the cores themselves are good. I mean this is a huge step for the Korean animation slave market.
>audio rendering tests
You can shut up now
>>
OK, so I have a refurbished Dell optiplex 990 with 16 GB of RAM, an Intel i5 2500, and a GTX 560 TI 448. I've been thinking of getting a new case (ATX), and I need recommendations. Also I have a technical question. The motherboard has two pciex16 slots, and my 560 is a lil sluggish (I've still managed to get doom 4 to run at 60 fps tho). Is there anyway to SLI two 560s?
>Inb4 get a better card, I bought the 560 for $50
>>
>>59069457
3 processor releasing 02/03
All 3 have 8 core 16 thread
1700 cost $325, clocked at 3.0GHz with 3.7GHz boost, 65w tdp (comes with wraith spire cooler)
1700x cost $399, clocked at 3.4GHz with 3.8GHz Boost and has XFR (automatic overclocking based on specific cores temp and voltage), 95w TDP comes with no cooler
1800x cost $499, clocked at 3.6GHz with 4.0GHz boost, also has XFR, 95w TDP comes with no cooler

8 core for such a low price is basically a steal, compared to any current offer, but i doubt you're going to manage to fit them in a $850 budget considering the price. Usually you go with $200 processor for this type of budget.

The rest of the Ryzen line (6 cores 12 thread with/without XFR, 4 cores 8 thread with/without XFR) won't come out yet, no announce at all on when they are going to be released. Those would fit your budget more, though.

>is it worth waiting for it?
Considering it releases march 2nd yes, it is worth waiting at least for the NDA to lift to see all the benchmarks coming out all at once providing you with all the information you need on the performance of those processors.
>>
>>59069593
You can get hyperthreaded 8 cores for $100, doesn't mean you should
Wait for Benchmarks
>>
lol
>>
>>59069695
i wish these autistic journalist would stop browsing and talking about this website
>>
>>59069695
kek, he's right though
I wish more of you motherfuckers would actually discuss and build home server stuff.
I've got a dual Xeon workstation that needs to be replaced and a NAS that needs some serious capacity upgrades. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here with that problem.
>>
>>59069547
Also, Mobo is Dell 06D7TR
>>
>>59069593
thanks
does this pc build look good? im probably going drop the ssd for a 1tb hard drive and add a network and sound card
>>
>>59069695
>@omnidestiny
>>
>>59069851
you might have forgotten the link
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DKQ2Z8>>59069871
>>
File: 1481558753083.gif (4MB, 503x360px) Image search: [Google]
1481558753083.gif
4MB, 503x360px
>>59069695
Looks like you guys got called the fuck out.
>>
>>59069851
>add a network and sound card
No.
>>
>>59069907
why not? i need to connect to my router through wifi. There is no possible way i can connect to it through ethernet .

About the sound card if my monitor has built in speakers i wont need a sound card right?
>>
>>59069881
Yes, that is a pretty good looking build, can't go wrong with it.
>>
>>59070004
i might try and look for a cheaper monitor. Well price drops in general
>>
File: Scan 1.jpg (3MB, 2507x3497px) Image search: [Google]
Scan 1.jpg
3MB, 2507x3497px
>>59068028
Yo dudes need help.

So I'm a 3d artist. I use Cinema 4D and Octane (A gpu renderer)

I was just about to buy a new pc but then Ryzen just came out. Currently have 3770k, 16 ddr3 2xgtx 670s

Neverrr had anything amd before.

So, what am I looking at here? Can I just get the gtx1080 and the ddr4 ram I was going to get before and everything will work?

What good motherboards should I look at? I was looking at the asus x99 boards today before
>>
does anyone know of a pci usb card that uses mobo headers?
I'd to add some extra usb ports to my computer, but i dont have any 5.25 bays that I cant use for a front panel expansion sort of thing, so i was wondering if there was perhaps a pci slot card that instead of using the pci-e interface simply got power from like a sata connector or molex and then used an onboard header for the data
I hope this makes sense, i dont really know how to describe it other than this
>>
>>59068028
https://youtu.be/qTu7ryfKO5E
Did AMD severely underclock the 7700k they had or something?
>>
>>59069951
>About the sound card if my monitor has built in speakers i wont need a sound card right?
Sound card is not for hearing audio, it's for "processing" it. If it's not "processed", your headset or speakers will not be able to broadcast it to you.
It's integrated in the motherboard already. You won't need a Sound Card, you will however need an HDMI cable to transmit the sound (and image at the same time) from your computer to your monitor.
>>
Will connecting my 4 radiator fans via a molex fan splitter to my cpu fan header work? My mobo has a dedicated pump header so I was going to use that with the pump. AIO is a h100iv2.
>>
>>59070037
i would definitely wait. it's only another week or so before we should start seeing 3rd party reviews, and especially for people like you ryzen looks to be one hell of a deal
as for motherboards, we dont really have much to go off of but pictures and basic specs, but im really liking asrock's offerings. The 2 m.2 ports make me moist, and the VRM design looks good
>>
>>59070043
Why don't you take the metal bracket that is on your PC, drill out a USB shaped port, and hook a header to a cable terminating in a USB port
>>
>>59070073
Is that the motherboard where the M2 "shield" was confirmed to make the temps worse?
>>
>>59070073
yeah im going to wait, I can order the 1080 anyway because I can stick it in my current build
>>
>>59069773
>NAS that needs serious capacity upgrades
my nigga, im looking to bump my nas from the 16tb zfs2 ive got now to either 32tb or 48tb later this year, ill have to migrate to another case but im ok with that
also looking to build a dual xeon with some used 2670s, and throw some used server ECC in there too, i do a lot with virtualization so the extra cores and ram would really be nice. Hell ive even played with the idea of using some of the power from those 2 chips and putting my nas and desktop all in one, just running FreeNAS virtualized with pci-e passthrough for a sas board and then just using the rest of the cpu power for everything else
still havent decided though
whatever happened to the home server general? there used to be one almost every day, or at least every few days
>>
>>59070060
thanks
>>
>>59070113
>m.2 shield
i think you're talking about the asus sabertooth? but i have no fucking clue if thats not it
>>59070114
go for it man, idk much about 1080s, i dont need much gpu horsepower and my fury x is more than enough for what i do, but if you're still looking for suggestions i know a couple of guys that have gone with EVGA and they are all super happy with the support and performance. the new ICX cards look awesome. i think you would be fine to go ahead and order the ddr4 but there's talk that memory speeds might significantly affect the performance on the new chips, given the dual channel and all that. so i would wait, but if you order that now order the fastest you can afford
>>
>>59070207
There was this one motherboard Gamers Nexus did an article about where it had this thing of metal that was supposed to "shield" the M.2 drive from heat, though all it did was hotbox the drive.
>>
>>59070037
>Can I just get the gtx1080 and the ddr4 ram I was going to get before and everything will work?
Yes

>So, what am I looking at here?
8 cores 16 thread at $400 performing the same as a $1100 i7 6900k. Professional workload always have benefited a LOT from cores and thread, so Ryzen does look to be the best choice for you right now. I would advise as that other anon said to wait for 3rd party benchmark anyway, but every benchmark (both the supervised & non supervised ones) we've seen so far show the performance to be on par with the $1100 i7 6900k if not better.

We did see Cinebench scores, a lot of them in fact (Cinebench is a benchmark based on the very Cinema 4D you use) from various reviewers, look extremely promising and the world record has already been broken by those Ryzen CPU.
Your current CPU has 4 cores 8 thread, the Ryzen CPU coming out in less than two weeks will all offer double that. And Cinema4D scale heavily from both cores and threads, as you can see here:
https://greyscalegorilla.com/2010/11/12-core-vs-8-core-vs-2-core-cinema-4-render-speed-test/

Ryzen looks very promising for you. NDA will lift during release day, you can't go wrong by waiting so wait and you'll see for yourself all the 3rd party review showing the very same promising results we've seen so far.
>>
>>59070207
I just need cuda cores for my gpu renderer, im gonna keep a 670 and run my monitors of that and just have the 1080 chuggin away! I dont think i even need an sli bridge
>>
>>59070270
fucking boner. Just need to find a good mobo for 150ish
>>
>>59069773
I guess I've never really noticed a need for a home server except as a glorified share folder on network option. Maybe that outs me as someone who has no business being here.
>>
>>59070254
yeah that sounds similar to the idea behind the "armor" on the asus board
as far as i can tell the new asrock boards that have the 2 m.2 slots dont have anything retarded like that on them, and the idea of being able to fit 2 m.2 on the board is really drawing me, that saves space in other areas where an ssd would have to go
i know that isn't a huge deal for a lot of people, but keeping 2 extra sata ports open is a big deal for me, and the bonus of having 2 drives with m.2 performance is awesome
>>59070305
if you just need cuda for the render you might want to look at getting 2 used 980ti, it would be about the same price, maybe a little more than a 1080 but you'll get much better performance
and you wont need an sli bridge, you couldnt even connect those 2 cards to begin with, and beyond that sli is only for gaming afaik. for computer and render projects the way that gpu are viewed is much different than in games
>>
I'm no pc tech, I only have layman level understanding of chip architecture etc so correct me if i'm wrong, but since the 7700k has a higher IPC rate, and it also clearly outperforms intel's octacore processors during gaming, why are people that are gonna use pcs for games getting hyped over ryzen?

I get that some people need 8 cores for graphic design and shit, so ye the price drop from 1100 to 400usd is amazing, but the 7700k is cheaper than ryzen and will most likely outperform it in games. so what's the hype? am i missing something? will octacore be such a must in a few years and ill regret buying a 7700k now?
>>
File: j.gif (844KB, 800x786px) Image search: [Google]
j.gif
844KB, 800x786px
>>59068028
>Building
>>
>>59070549
>gonna use pcs for games getting hyped over ryzen?
High core count getting mainstream is a huge deal and it means a higher likelyhood of game developpers optimising for it.
Also, because Intel has been jewing the fuck out of them for a decade now. AMD is offering $1100 performance for $400, which is obviously good for any gamer as it will end up having a major impact on the CPU market: either the prices for CPU will lower, or the performance will improve. In anyway, you'll be getting better perf per $.
Ryzen is not just AMD catching up to Intel, it's Intel getting thrown violently to the ground.

>but the 7700k is cheaper than ryzen
7700K is at $330, Ryzen R7 1700 cost $325 and comes close in singlethreaded performance, while having double the core and thread.
DX12 and Vulkan games already see major gains with a higher core and thread count.

Even if a lot of games don't use above 4 cores, it only means that you'll have 4 core entirely free where you can run any demanding app on without affecting your gaming performance at all.

The hype is mostly about it disrupting completely the market and prices.
>>
>>59070642
>comes close in singlethreaded performance, while having double the core and thread

how do you know that? there haven't been benches between the 1700 and the 7700k. doesn't the 7700k have higher ipc?

>Even if a lot of games don't use above 4 cores, it only means that you'll have 4 core entirely free where you can run any demanding app on without affecting your gaming performance at all

so you're saying i couldn't run firefox and a game with 7700k and 16gb ram? i highly doubt that anon

dunno, i just might be negatively prejudiced against amd. i have serious precautions against buying their shit, i guess ill have to wait for real game benchmarks and see. what i dread the most is buying a 4core processor for it to become obsolete in 3 years, i'm not rich by any stretch of the word so when i fork 2k on a pc i expect it to be at least mid range in 7yrs or so
>>
>>59070707
The 7700k absolutely smashed both ryzen, the 6800 and the 6900k in single thread performance
>>
>>59070642
>>59070707
also from what i've seen, even the 1800x wont go past 4ghz. ipc aside, how will 3.4 ghz compete with 5ghz in single-core performance?
>>
File: speccy1.png (35KB, 673x535px) Image search: [Google]
speccy1.png
35KB, 673x535px
Suggestions for bang for buck? Never plan on doing SLI, should I get one of those 4/8 core/thread things?

Any suggestions appreciate, built this comp about 3 years ago (760 was a upgrade to a warranty'd 660ti 2 years ago). Served me good for $500but feeling the age, especially once I touched Dying Light.

Was the first comp I built that was completely from scratch.
>>
>>59070760
Ryzen+ RX 480
>>
>>59070727
>also from what i've seen, even the 1800x wont go past 4ghz.
What? 1800x can go up to 4.1GHz with XFR on what the wraith spire cooler.
>>
>>59070059
that's what I'm guessing.
>>
>>59070727
You've seen some bad info then
>>
>>59070799
is that the stock cooler?
>>
>>59070811
do link me some correct info anon, i'm not claiming to be an expert or anything i'm just saying what i've read
>>
>>59070863
https://youtu.be/3rUndzpdo1I?t=1m33s
>>
>>59070850
AMD has 3 stock cooler: Wraith stealth (65w), Wraith spire (95w) and Wraith max (145w)
Wraith spire is bundled with R7 1700
R7 1700x & R7 1800x doesn't come with cooler.
They used their own cooler but it won't actually come with the CPU it was used with.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GLVQM8
>>
Which one would you suggest?
>>
>>59070936
http://www.eteknix.com/amd-ryzen-7-wraith-max-and-spire-coolers-revealed/

what you said makes no sense. also, several websites say that the 1800x comes with wraith max
>>
>>59070967
I'm probably going for the 1700.
>>
>>59070977
Those websites are wrong
>>
>>59070936
from informatica cero

>To begin with we see that the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X uses a box in gray with orange and will feature the Wraith Max cooler. This has a TDP of 140W and has a weight of 0.545Kg. Its dimensions are 105mm in length, 108mm in width and 85mm in height.
>>
>>59070988
Well what's your source?
>>
>>59070988
source?
>>
>>59070967
>>59070787
>>
>>59070988
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/5vj7lm/3_amd_ryzen_coolers_confirmed_wraith_spire_wraith/?st=izhls1ox&sh=0eae8834

literally every single google result for wraith max says it's included with the 1700x and 1800x
>>
>>59070984
Thanks. Any suggestion helps
>>
>>59071026
>Reddit and leaks
I mean I would've figured amd was a reliable source but I guess not
>>
>>59070977
>what you said makes no sense
My sources come directly from retailers.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430
Says no cooler for 1800x, US

http://www.materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1700-140474.html
http://www.materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-140473.html
http://www.materiel.net/processeurs-pc/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-140472.html
Says exactly what i did, FR

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-eight-core-3.7ghz-processor-socket-am4-with-wraith-cooler-retail.html
http://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-cpu-eight-core-3.8ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html
http://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-eight-core-4.0ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html
Also says what i did (though doesn't refer to Wraith Spire but just says Wraith cooler), UK

I'm guessing the wraith max might come in bundles with mobo + cpu + cooler.
>>
>>59069695
says the guy who use to beg people to send him their computer parts so he could build them on stream. he's a fucking tool.
>wow i know how to connect da compoter parts am so kool xDD starcraft 2 tots isnt dead as my career!
>>
>>59069593
What's the point of "clock speed boost" when you can just overclock your CPU?

Are these CPUs made to run optimally at the "boost speed" but just throttle down in most cases to conserve power and produce less heat?

When you overclock a CPU is it constantly running at that speed and doesn't throttle down automatically?
>>
File: ZwY05FK.jpg (78KB, 1491x764px) Image search: [Google]
ZwY05FK.jpg
78KB, 1491x764px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkCc98makG4
Seems like the wooden boxes we've seen are what you'll be receiving if you order a Ryzen bundle
>>
What's the Ryzen equivalent to an i5? R5 1600x?
>>
>>59071306
1600x is 6core 12 thread
Would most likely be an 1400
>>
>>59071080
why would they offer it only for the cheapest model? makes no sense
>>
>>59071080
ah ye you're right, looking closer at the leaks it says cooler for the "multipack" option
>>
>>59071388
Because Intel has the best business model and they're trying to attain that while still seeming like they're "on the buyers side"
>>
>>59071445
is paying 120 euros for cooler and additional 50 for 1700x worth it over the 1700?

i could buy gtx 1080ti instead of 1080 for that money difference
>>
>>59071328
Thanks, I'll wait for benchmarks before picking one up.
>>
>>59071540
Those don't have a release date yet unfortunately. You might be waiting 2 - 3 few months for them.
>>
>>59071513
Do you not have a heatsink
>>
>>59071557
Isn't Ryzen supposed to be launching in March?
>>
>>59071594
Not the whole line, just Ryzen R7 aka three 8 cores 16 thread. Those are priced like i7, not like i5s.
>>
>>59069695
who the fuck is this random fag you keep shilling

nobody cares what summit1g thinks
>>
File: 20170223_021957.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170223_021957.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>59071566
i have no idea, i bought this pc 8 years ago and im planning on throwing it out in september as is when i buy the new rig, only keeping the hdd and the case

was gonna buy a 120 euro hydro cooler and try to oc the 7700k to 5ghz, today i heard of ryzen though and looked into the 1080 ti and i dont know what to do now desu
>>
>>59071612
they're more expensive than i7, the 1700x is close to the 7700k here but the 1800x is 100 euro more expensive.

pretty good prices though by greek standards, considering shit like coolers is x1.5 expensive

cant wait for the neetbux to stack up
>>
>>59071188
Honestly, though. I remember watching his streams when he would do that. For the first few months, it was the most cringe shit I have ever seen. The fact that he would call other "tech-illiterate" makes me hope that he is just trying to be ironic. Destiny is a fucking moron.
>>
>$500 for a CPU with shit single core performance
We waited a long time for a CPU that will be more expensive and performs worse than an i7? Along with a platform without Thunderbolt support? AMD is finished.
>>
>>59071792
blows intel 8 core out of the water, and isn't overpriced at 1k+
>>
>>59071792
>shit single core performance
>We waited a long time for a CPU that will be more expensive and performs worse than an i7?
What are you talking about?
It matches a fucking $1100 CPU in single-core, and outperforms it in multi-threaded
>>
>>59071792
Thunderbolts best use of PCIe transfer and DisplayPort compatibility, not so useful when you have PCIe slots and DisplayPort connections already, normal 10Gbps USB 3.1 C is good enough for a back-of-the-case connection
>>
>>59071822
Intels $120 CPU outperforms the 6900k in single core
>>
>>59071842
Yes but it doesn't have fucking 8 cores and 16 threads
>>
Rx 480 or 1060?
>>
>>59071894
1060 so you don't have to deal with power draw and driver issues.
>>
>>59071878
Neither do I. I still get better performance in games than I would on a 6900.
>games
And one of the biggest selling points of ryzen is "better fps"
>>
File: hmmmm.....png (279KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.....png
279KB, 800x450px
Hey /g/ I was directed here from /v/ and would like to get and answer to this question.
I've got a new PC build I'll be putting together soon and I'm currently set on getting an RX480, but I'm hearing that Nvidia drivers are more optimized for Linux, so should I get a GTX1060 or 1050 instead?
>>
>>59071905
>1060 so you don't have to deal with power draw
You autist are still comparing power draw? When current gen GPUs ALL use less power than a fucking GTX 970?
> driver issues.
None.

>>59071909
>And one of the biggest selling points of ryzen is "better fps"
No. If that was the case, they'd be selling the 4 cores / 8 threads first as those can hit higher clock pre core than the 6 / 8 cores, and as such generally benefit from higher singlethreaded performance.
>>
>>59071931
/v/ doesn't belong on Linux, that's your first mistake
>>
>>59071931
1060, also, don't ever come back here.
>>
>>59071905
already been debunked many a time and every single aib has proper power draw, please take a trip on the relaxy taxi and end your existence.

>>59071894
the MSI armor 4GB is pretty damn cheap, and if you don't mind using jet and the 15% off, the 8GB would be stellar for it's price.
>>
>>59071938
Have you not seen the ryzen ads?
>>
>>59071941
I'm dual booting
>>59071949
thank you, I usually just lurk so don't worry about it.
>>
>>59071986
I have. I've also seen the event of yesterday, and the new horizon event.
Performance seems to be the major talking point. They barely talk about games. It's all about Cinebench, Zbrush, keyshot, handbrake, and streaming.
>>
>>59072010
You haven't seen the ads, so clearly your first reply of "No, if they did, then some ignorant bullshit" is invalid
>>
File: f5fc699365[1].png (90KB, 1888x902px) Image search: [Google]
f5fc699365[1].png
90KB, 1888x902px
So I waited for Ryzen 7. Should I wait for Ryzen 5?

I was planning on upgrading my mATX build from a FX-8300 to an i5 7500 unless Ryzen is legit. Well, since Ryzen 7 was legit, the Ryzen 5 1600X also seems to be legit. It's a RX 480, mATX build, and I intend to do 144hz gaming @1080p (current processor is a bottleneck).
$400 is my overall budget for this upgrade.

March 2nd can't get here soon enough tbqh
>>
>>59070137
>32tb or 48tb
Avoid the SMR drives when you can. They're not best suited for situations with active writes. There are 6TB PMR and 6TB SMRs. Anything about 6TB is almost always SMR+Helium. If you absolutely must, use a high-end MLC SSD as a write-back cache. This usually necessitates a hardware RAID card with a battery back-up in case of sudden power failures.

>just running FreeNAS virtualized with pci-e passthrough for a sas board
You don't want to do that either. FreeNAS works best running on the actual hardware since you need to create virtual disks for each and every drive in the array. It won't be able to use most of the hardware monitoring features since SMART values only applies to the physical drives, not their virtualized counterparts.
>>
>>59072102
Get the 7500, there are so many quad cores out in the world now that programmers won't abandon them to pander to 6-10 core sheeple. Thank AMD for not making 8 core mainstream.
>>
>>59071931
>vidya
>loonix
nope senpai

The RX 480 is a better deal because more RAM, lower price, and essentially the same performance. More VRAM is nice because game developers cannot into textures (among other things), and VRAM usage is growing exponentially.

You can't really go wrong with either the RX 480 8GB or the 1060 6GB right now though. If power consumption (read, your PSU and motherboard) is a concern, it is worth noting that the 1060 is more power efficient and runs cooler.
>>
>>59070549
>why are people that are gonna use pcs for games getting hyped over ryzen?
One: games are using more cores/threads these days and benefiting from them.
Two: most gaymers are attentionwhoring faggots who livestream their games, which requires additional CPU power to live encode their footage to H.264 and upload it onto a streaming site. The more cores you have, the less of an impact livestreaming and camwhoring will have on your game's performance.
Three: it will make Intel drop the price of their next generation CPUs without actually dropping the price of their CPUs. Pentiums will be i3s, i3s will be i5s, and i5s will be i7s. The pricing stays the same, but everyone wins.
Four: AMD hasn't made a competitive product in over 10 years now. AM4 and Ryzen is a godsend for AMD fans.
Five: Intel has no fucking idea on how to deal with Ryzen. They will get desperate and do something drastic to prevent market share loss.

>7700k is cheaper than ryzen
Intel is making you pay $320 for a quad-core, but AMD is stuffing their asshole with near-similar quad-cores for $200 and making all of their CPUs overclockable. That's $100 that can go towards a much better graphics card for much higher game performance than any one CPU can give you.
Again, Intel has no fucking idea how to respond to actual competition now. This may signal the end of arbitrary Intel K SKUs being the only overclockable CPUs.
>>
>>59072102
get the 1600x if you want to OC if you dont want to OC or only small time OC 1600 and save some cash. Also 1600 is more future proof 6cores+SMT gonna last you at least 6+ yrs
>>
>>59072237
What do we know about the 1600? Honestly, I don't plan on overclocking so you make a good point. Also, I already have a good cooler (Cryorig H7) so there's no real point in having the fancy RGB stock cooler.
>>
>>59070727
>1800x wont go past 4ghz
I've seen leaked benchmarks showing that 4.4GHz is the average ceiling with a $25 air cooler (you know which one). And that's for EIGHT cores, not just four. Broadwell-E (the i7-6900K to be exact) CANNOT HIT 4.4GHz WITHOUT GOING FULL BENTIUM4. My i7-5775C couldn't even hit 4.3GHz without BSODing with the Vcore at 1.44V.
It won't hit the ridiculously high clock of Kaby Lake, but it won't have to. Ryzen has already done its job of making Intel do a bit of soul searching. Their architecture is based on a CPU that came out over a decade ago. Ryzen is an unwelcome kick in their sides.
>>
>>59072102
Knowing AMD, I can almost expect some of the R5 1600X to be R7 1700X with two cores deactivated through firmware trickery.
Just like Phenoms and the RX 460
>>
>>59072280
You can still overclock ALL of AMD's CPUs. The X just means that it has the XFR frequency adjustment feature enabled.
>>
>>59072328
I would buy an R5 so quickly if that was the case
>>
>>59072382
What is the difference between XFR and AMD turbo?
>>
>>59072397
It all depends on how good GloFo's yields are. If they make too make decent silicon, they are going to have to resort to firmware core deactivation just to meet demands. This is what happened to the RX 480 at launch, where they had too many 8GB versions, but not enough 4GB, so they deactivated half the VRAM through software.

>>59072405
XFR is AMD Turbo taken to its logical conclusion: using the cooling ability of your CPU heatsink to reach the highest clock frequency under a specific temperature. There is no limit to the clock frequency it could hit unlike AMD turbo and it's independent on all cores. So unlike the older AMD turbo feature where half the cores would be clocked down and the other half boosted up to fit within a strict TDP, XFR allows for as many cores to fit their maximum frequency independent of how many cores XFR has already affected.
>>
>>59072135
id be passing through the raid card and everything is still hardware level as far as i know. I was looking at using some old IBM m1015s, it's a well documented process over on the freenas site. I'm still a few months out from doing anything with either my desktop or server but I'll look into it more
>>
>>59072205
1060 has current Linux drivers, it's not about hardware
>>
Is the LG #27MP38VQ worth it for $149? The specs seem decent.
>>
>>59072537
>id be passing through the raid card and everything is still hardware level as far as i know
Except it won't be. What I understand is that the PCIe passthrough isn't completely physical, it's just the hardware being dedicated to that specific VM and all traffic through that PCIe slot still has to go through a level of virtualization in order to work with the hypervisor. This prevents SMART from working with drives connected to that HBA/RAID card without doing some firmware fuckery that might end up preventing your card from even working with a VM.
Honestly, it's easier to buy a low-power server and run FreeNAS natively.
>>
>>59072303
>I've seen leaked benchmarks showing that 4.4GHz is the average ceiling with a $25 air cooler (you know which one).

wraith? would a hydro cooler make it go higher?
>>
>>59072608
No, the MEMEMaster 212 EVO
>>
>>59072621
is investing money in a hydro cooler even worth it? all the cpu benchmark websites use 120 euro hydrocoolers, are they just a meme?
>>
>>59072587
hmm. well, i mean it makes sense, I've known from the start that running freenas virtualized is always less than optimal, so ill dig around a bit more. The set up i have now is fine for up to 32tb, after that though i need to change motherboards since this one wouldnt have enough ram capacity. more than likely I'll just try to max out the storage for now, upgrade from the i3 im using to a used xeon, and maybe look at other upgrades. realistically the 32tb would be plenty for a while, but id really like to get up into 48-64 area in the next 2 years or so
>>
>>59068840

You don't want to OC it ?
>>
>>59072633
For the first time in a decade, I'd say yes, watercooling is no longer a meme (only with AMD's XFR). You're limited by the TDP your cooler can dissipate with XFR. The more heat you can displace, the higher the clock XFR can reach.
>>
>>59072663
cool, thanks
>>
>>59072635
>realistically the 32tb would be plenty for a while
I know what you mean. I have about 30TB of raw footage at any given project and I need an additional 60TB at some point for adequate backup and expansion. 6TB seems to be the sweetspot for my use-case since I write to my NAS a lot as a result of recording and re-encoding projects. With an LSI HBA card, I have two miniSAS-HD connectors good for a total of eight 6TB drives. I might need to buy a second HBA or one with more than two miniSAS-HD ports.

>>59072671
No problem. If you have to go the AIO route, look for a 280mm or 360mm radiators that are at least 30mm thick. The more fin surface area you have, the more heat an AIO can displace. 240mm AIOs can be matched with dual-fan 140mm air coolers, so they're generally not worth the 20% or so added cost.
>>
>>59072663
>watercooling is not a meme anymore because turbo boost
>>
>>59072554
bump
>>
>>59072752
Only if you're taking advantage of XFR. For the non-X CPUs, you're much better off with a standard air cooler. The way XFR works means that the more heat you can displace from the CPU, the higher the clock frequencies you can hit AND keep. Watercoolers are simply BETTER for that purpose.
>>
>>59072730
was thinking about the Corsair Hydro H80i v2
>>
>>59072803
Don't even bother. You get better cooling performance at medium-high TDP (~150W) with a Noctua or Cryorig dual 140mm tower cooler with less noise. The H80i is freaking loud as shit because Corsair thinks high RPM is more important than a good cooling fin and pump design.
>>
>>59072774
still don't know desu if i should go with 110 euro watercooler plus r7 1700x and gtx 1080 or r7 1700 (that has built-it wraith cooler) and 1080 ti. will the processor even bottleneck games in the next 5 years? im not streaming or running a botnet, so why not through that extra 150 euros on the gpu?
>>
>>59072774
Wow it's almost like you can increase clocks and voltage as much as you want up to a certain thermal threshold, incredible!
>>
>>59072833
>what is fan control in the BIOS
>>
>>59072833
is there a decent water cooler that's affordable (under or around 120usd)?
>>
File: Secondary pc.png (36KB, 700x426px) Image search: [Google]
Secondary pc.png
36KB, 700x426px
What settings can I play games at with this pc? (I got the the motherboard,ram,cpu for free when my cousin upgraded) I took the 1060 3g from my main pc when I got my 1070.
>>
>>59072848
It's still shit. I had an H80i GT that I gave away because it was too loud for the temperatures I was getting on an overclock i7-4790K. I got the same temperatures with less noise from a fucking Scythe Shuriken. Corsair fans are shit.
>>59072841
Yes, but air coolers are almost always quieter for similar performance with manual overclocking up to a certain thermal limit. After that, watercooling will always be more efficient. The thing with XFR is that it's automatic, so an inexperience /v/kiddie with too much access to his parent's wallet can buy an R7-1700X and a high-end watercooler and actually benefit from it without doing jack shit other than enabling XFR at the BIOS. It's the accessibility and automated nature of XFR that makes AIOs much less of a meme than /v/irgins buying 120mm AIOs to cool a stock-clocked i5-2500K.

I'll put it in better words: AIO is no longer a meme for tech-illiterate gaymer faggots.

>>59072862
NZXT Kraken x61. I got mine for $110.
>>
>>59072947
makes sense, every time I see an argument for ryzen it involves beating sandy bridge at something
>>
>>59072947
The point has always been that AiOs are worse performance than aircoolers of the same price, turbo boost or tech illiterates have nothing to do with this fact.
>>
>>59072862
Do you even pcpartpicker?
luckily for you Im bored.

>$50
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/w37wrH/corsair-cpu-cooler-h55

>$100
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/V2JwrH/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i

>$120
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FFFPxr/nzxt-cpu-cooler-rlkrx6101
>or
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/RH2rxr/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060027ww
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 512x288px
>>59073013
>decent watercooler
>unironically recommends corsair
>>
>>59073013
the other anon said (and i also saw it in some reviews) that the corsair ones are noisy af
>>
>>59073013
>corsair
>>
>>59072985
>AiOs are worse performance than aircoolers of the same price
Up to a point. Cheap AIOs perform slightly worse than similarly priced air coolers up to 200W (depending on the model), but beyond that, AIOs are able to output more heat than the air coolers could ever hope to.
There is a common belief that $60 AIOs are always worse than $60 air coolers, but that's because they're talking about moderate overclocks and thermal output from low-TDP CPUs. At a certain TDP threshold, AIOs will be able to hit slightly lower temperatures over their air cooled counterparts if you put enough thermal stress on them to saturate the alcohol used in the air cooler's heatpipes. But a single 120mm fan AIO? That will hit bad temperatures before it hits that thermal threshold. You need at least a 240mm AIO to see the benefits of watercooling beyond 200W.
>>
>>59072947
would an overclocked gtx 1080 also need additional cooling anon?
>>
>>59073037
It is. I bet this guy's a /v/irgin. I've used Corsairs in the recent past because I wanted to give them a try (and see what this Corsair LINK was all about). One of the bigger disappointments in my life. NZXT sells the SAME EXACT 280mm AIO as Corsair for a few dollars less and less fan noise for the same performance.
>>
>pcpartpicker
>Ryzen 7 already up
>No AM4 MoBo on sight

what is going on?
>>
>>59073023
>>59073037
>>59073041
>>59073077

lemme guess... those are all paid reviews in the review section right?
never change /g/
>>
>>59073090
And Bose and Beats make great headphones.
>>
>>59073058
Yes, duh. Don't fall for the Hybrid meme or you'll toast its VRMs from a lack of adequate cooling

>>59073090
It's because they don't mind the noise or because their fans haven't cranked up past 1050rpm. If you have the USB connector from the AIO plugged into your motherboard, but don't install Corsair LINK, it defaults to a fixed fan RPM of 975 RPM until you use Corsair LINK.
Like I said, NZXT and other manufactures have basically identical performance for less money. Corsairs are as meme as you can get.
>>
>>59073090
nope, i read reviews on a really small online vendor in greece
>>
>>59073125
so how do you cool a gpu? as you can see i'm a complete noob in pc building

do you just install small fans?
>>
>>59073090
Corsair fans are notoriously loud. Also, AIOs in general suck ass.
>>
>>59073057
Show me a $60 air cooler that isn't dual fan and a $60 280mm water cooler
You're comparing nearly the highest end of air coolers to the lowest end of AiOs
Sure the radiator is bigger but it's louder, the pump could be shit (copper vapor tubes don't have this problem), you risk leaking, cracking or broken pumps, and corsairs AIO fans are fucking garbage
>>
>>59073155
No, you just buy an aftermarket GPU with beefy power components and massive three-fan coolers.
Or buy a beefy GPU and spend hundreds on a custom water-cooling loop with a full-block for the GPU.
>>
>>59073155
watercool it
>>
>>59073174
>$60 280mm water cooler
That's not what I said. I said that the AIOs you can buy for $60 tend to hit unreasonable temperatures before the air cooler hits their thermal capacity and loses steam. Read what I say next time before acting a fool, nigga.
>>
>>59073178
most gpus have 3 fans though
>>
>>59073198
You don't get it, it's not the fluid that's absorbing the heat, "saturating (I assume to you homogenizing) the fluid" takes about 30 seconds to a minute and won't actually do anything
>>
you guys are most likely the only helpful board in 4chan. there was this same conversation on /v/, but everyone acted like a child and the conversation devolved into windows 10 vs 7 argument with the word "shill" mentioned every 10s
>>
is there a go-to brand for nvidia gpus? (specifically wanting a 1060)
>>
>>59073263
Don't visit the rest of /g/, or go here during the summer/around a new GPU launch.
>>
>>59073217
If you want to get into specifics, the liquid used in AIOs are able to transfer more heat to a different medium than the alcohol they use in heatpipes. That means that the AIO is able to transfer more heat at a faster rate than heatpipes could, but it's down to the fin design on both the AIO's radiator and the heatsink on the air cooler. For the most part, thin-ass tower air coolers can not THEORETICALLY dissipate as much heat as a 27mmx120mmx120mm radiator with moderate fin density, but because of the amount of heat involved, the difference is usually negligible.
>takes about 30 seconds to a minute and won't actually do anything
It does do something once a lot of heat is involved. I take it that you have never done overclocking with Intel HEDT and AMD's fucking ridiculous FX-9590. An air cooler as large as a Noctua NH15 is usually not enough to tame the FX-9590 if you try to overclock it beyond 5.1GHz. The heat sink literally can not displace as much heat as the FX is putting out and it leads to steadily increasing temperatures that is disproportionate to the increasing amount of heat. A large AIO is able to prevent this thermal loading for a good bit beyond what the Noctua is able to achieve. With Intel's HEDTs, you can see the difference between $80 air coolers and $100 240mm AIOs with higher voltage overclocking.
>>
What is /g/'s obsession with open air cards? Blowing heat around your case instead of out of it is bad.
>>
>>59073271
No there isn't.
>>
>>59073271
EVGA all the way.
>>
>>59073263
I'd normally throatrape cute little faggots like you (no homo) and tell you to go back to /v/, but I'm feeling generous. And fuck you.
>>
>>59073321
AIO fluid doesn't evaporate. It intrinsically can never be as good of a heat transferring medium as something that does.
Check
Mate
>>59073326
They cool the cards much better, many people concerned about performance have a good CPU cooler already (so the internal hot air isn't a problem) and GPU heat problems are much much more common than CPU heat problems
Of course if it becomes a problem like in ultrasmall builds cramped for even airflow then sure it may be a better option
But not for 99% of builds
>>
>>59073263
you just described /g/
>>
>>59073420
>AIO fluid doesn't evaporate
No shit you fucking moron. The major difference is that the thermal transfer between the liquid and the radiator is near instantaneous (which is why it doesn't fucking matter where you put a radiator in a custom loop, because the heat transfer is always quick enough to affect the liquid in the entire loop). The heatpipe's alcohol needs to evaporate for it to work, but there's only so much heat the heatpipe can handle before losing effectiveness. That wasn't my fucking point, it was about the thermal capacity of the coolers AS A SYSTEM. You're playing chess when I'm playing go.
>>
>>59073460
The alcohol doesnt have to evaporate because the copper heatpipes are great thermal conductors unlike rubber tubes of hot liquid, it just happens to thrash the thermal properties of oil as soon as it gets hot enough to evaporate
>>
>>59073460
We were talking about the systems before you started bringing up "it's not just the radiator bro AiOs are just better heat conductors!"
>>
>>59073517
And I was still talking about the system as a whole, you fucking Trumpvoter. Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>59073529
Ok so let's talk about the system
The Initial thermal conductivity, the heat transfer medium (or media in the case of aircoolers), the length and insulation of the travel, and of course the radiators (which as you said, could be the same and a non-factor)
You start, what specifically makes a H100i better than a NH-D14? Better enough to pay extra for?
>>
>>59073568
>what specifically makes a H100i better than a NH-D14
The heat dissipation surface of the fins inside the radiator and the heat conductivity of the liquid inside the AIO.

And enough of the semantics. I don't argue with white retards who voted a fascist dictator as President. Shut the fuck up and go back to your containment board.
>>
What's the go to 1070?
>>
>>59073460
>dumbass analogies on my /g/
It's like you're driving a dual core ford and I'm driving a c12 with turbo clocks on the freeway at high IPC
>>
>>59073598
the cheapest 8gb
>>
>>59073624
>the cheapest 8gb
That anony said 1070 they are all 8gb.
>>
>>59073596
The fin design is thick, full of fluid and has little airflow through it
Aircooler radiators are thin metal (easy to dissipate heat), have great airflow though them and have no thickness or blockages getting in the way of the heat dissipation
AIO radiators are a compromise between having an efficient radiator and being able to even connect the oil's thermals to the radiator
Heatpipes jutting directly into the radiator would be the best thermodynamic method but that's just impossible when you need to flow warm fluid around and behind the radiator
>>
>>59073596
AIO fags confirmed to be libcucks that bring up politics in every conversation no matter the context.
>>
File: 1486017823947.png (130KB, 454x540px) Image search: [Google]
1486017823947.png
130KB, 454x540px
>>59073648
so im right
>>
>>59073624
So the ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO seems to be the cheapest after mail in rebate.
>>
>>59073656
Just ignore it or else his next CPU cooler argument ace in the hole will be that he thinks you're me
>>
>>59071513
If you're going to game on it there is absolutely no reason to get the 1700x or the 1800x just get the 1700
>>
>>59073683
I told you to leave. All you do is expand the points I've already made (and simplified for your dumb white ass) and act like you're the fucking victor. Piggybacking off of a nonwhite minority, so typical of a white dinosaur. Get your fucking ass back to /pol/, you disgusting piece of shit.
>>
>>59068733
I have the msi gaming x. pretty good but its the most expensive one. Heard the sapphire is pretty nice.
>>
>>59068028
I have drivers that won't install for some reason.

1050 Ti and it says that they don't support this version of Windows.

It's Windows 10 and that's what I'm downloading.
>>
>>59073710
lmao nigger
>>
>>59073697
thing is, im not a rich dude, so i want this pc to last me years. that's why im going extremely high tier

so the real question is, since i know that both of those options will play games on super uber ultra for the next 2 years, what will get older first? will i need processing power before i need a new gpu in the future?
>>
>>59073782
I'm half-black and twice the man you'll ever be, you racist white piece of shit. Go get sloppy seconds from your fat cousin, you redneck scum.
>>
>>59073804
lmaoing at Elliot Deshawn Rodgers over here
>>
File: we wuz engineers n sheit.png (279KB, 478x603px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz engineers n sheit.png
279KB, 478x603px
>>
>>59073679
yep. if you dont mind blower cards. i dont think it matters unless youre overclocking it - which you dont really need to do for 1070 at 1080p gaming
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zC3Df8
r8
>>
>>59073078
it's easier to add 3 processors than 80+ motherboards
>>
>>59074106
cooler is unnecessary and that is really small amount of storage - but i guess it depends what youre doing on it
>>
>>59074207
later ill get hdd and are stock coolers any good
>>
Right now I have a CM Hyper 212 Evo hooked to a stock 6700K, and I'm getting 29*c idle and 60*c under load. I've also got two 120mm fans on the top of my case that create a lot of noise. Should I swap out the cooler and the fans for a 280mm AIO or keep the cooler and swap out the fans for two 140mm's? cost is no issue.
>>
>>59074252
>are stock coolers any good
theyre ok. You wont be overclocking so an aftermarket wont be needed - but hey if you want to spend money on better cooling why not
>>
>>59074252
>stock coolers any good
There ok, I prefer aftermarket because they run quieter.
>>
>>59074106
why not wait for the ryzen quadcore cpus? will save u like 100$, you can throw it on the gpu
>>
>>59074827
>buying launch
>>
>>59074252
The Intel ones are garbage. They're loud, don't really do enough, and have terrible build quality. They'll do in a pinch, but they're not worth keeping for long.

IMO, just get a 212 Evo or Cryorig H7. For like $10-$15 more than the cooler that you currently have listed, you're getting a cooler that will work well with about any build (besides mini itx) for many years to come. If you can't afford the H7 or 212 Evo, then use the stock cooler for a couple weeks until you have the spare cash.

CPU coolers pretty much don't become obsolete at this point. They're one of the few things that you can buy now and not have to replace for several years.
>>
>>59074866
didnt say buy them at launch
>>
>>59075444
Well I guess if you can wait that long than sure.
>>
Barring waiting for benchmarks, is the 1700 a better option than getting a 7500? I'm really only looking to get 1080p out of what I want to build but I heard it will be good for streaming so it caught my attention
>>
>>59075644
More cores is better for streaming while playing video games than less cores, yes that is true
>>
anyone know a good rackmount case that can support 2 itx motherboards? or rather, a rackmount case that can support 2 power supplies that i could mod to support 2 itx boards?
I'd like this to be on the cheap though too, around 100 max. there are plenty of good chassis for around 200, but thats outside of my price range
>>
So /g/, r7 1700 + gtx 1080 ti or r1700x + watercooler + gtx 1080? or maybe vega?
>>
File: ryzen.jpg (160KB, 1920x927px) Image search: [Google]
ryzen.jpg
160KB, 1920x927px
About to pull the trigger on a Ryzen build, any final thoughts before I do so tonight. Want to get in the Ryzen pre-order queue as fast as possible.

AMD RYZEN 7 1800X Processor 4.0/3.6GHZ 8 Core 16 Thread 95W TDP AM4 Retail Box *No HSF*
MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium ATX AM4 DDR4 CrossFire SLI USB3.1 Motherboard
2x Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ C16 1.35V Memory Kit (2 kits for total of 32GB)
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB PCIe M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V6E1T0BW
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 140 All In One Water Cooling Kit
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Aluminum Mid Tower Case w/ Tempered Glass Window - Satin Black
Corsair Professional Series HX750I 750W ATX 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply W/10 Years Warranty

Total Price: $2280 USD

Re-using my AMD R9 280X until Vega comes out. Then I might do a custom loop once the waterblocks are available and give the CM Pro 140 to my brother for his build this summer.
Wanted to get 1 kit of 2X16GB RAM, but DDR4 kits are starting to dry up, everything there is backordered as fuck.

I could go with cheaper case, cooler, PSU, etc. But I make plenty of cash. Will have it paid off in less than a month. I think $5000 computers are a joke, but $2000-$3000 seems to be a good spot for me. I probably won't upgrade again after this year for at least 7 years.
>>
>>59076216
isn't 32gb overkill? other than that solid build

i'd wait for vega like you said, see how it compares to the gtx 1080 ti
>>
>>59076235
We've seen how it compares to the 1080 and 1070 already
>>
>>59076315
vega 10 or 11? link please

1080 ti is prolly gonna outperform 1080 by some good 15% at least
>>
>pcpartpicker now has Ryzen CPUs
neat
>>
>>59068417
I think it's worth waiting to see how the lower binned stuff overclocks before picking one of them.
>>
>>59076345
>pcpartpicker
No motherboards for Ryzen yet.
>>
>>59076324
Big vega, which is the worse vega, which is the only vega in the foreseeable future
>>
>>59076402
Reading comprehension is your friend, friendo.
>>
If an i5 and an i7 are clocked to the same frequency is the only difference between them hyperthreading?
>>
I wonder if anyone can help shed some light here. I haven't had my build but a month and I'm wondering about Prime95 and Kaby Lake

When I run the small FFTs test my 7700k hits 100C but when I run other benchmarks like AIDA or play games or use Windows I get normal temps.

I'm using a DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler with the included paste (tho I have some other stuff that was tested decently on Tom's)

When I've looked into this I've had a hard time finding if this temp is out of line. Some say AVX or whatever is just a heat machine or Prime95 is somewhat unrealistic so don't worry. While other people have said I changed my cooler or my paste and now I don't go higher than 80-90.

So what's what? Is this normal? Should I redo my paste? Get a new cooler?
>>
>>59076235
You're right. Switched to G.Skill Ripjaws 2x16GB 3200MHz, it's a bit cheaper and G.Skill is listed as compatible with my mobo, whereas Corsair is not. When DDR4 RAM is cheaper a couple of years from now, perhaps I'll replace it with a new set, go up to 32GB then.
>>
>>59076315
>literally pre-release big driver update vega
'no'
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/80_of_amd_s_driver_team_are_reportedly_working_on_vega_drivers/1
if it's true that AMD is setting vega up to compete with volta instead of pascal then we're looking at performance better than current pascal levels. of course this is speculation but i think AMD knows they can't release shitty high end cards anymore, i'll switch back to nvidia if vega is a failure but i have faith in AMD to release a solid high end card.
i think it'll come down to price though, the fury x launching for $650 was just unfortunate, hopefully HBM2 memory is more affordable so they don't have to set the price that high.
>>
It's kind of difficult to pick between gpu manufacturers, 2 years ago i just bought Palit and was done with it

Now is my biggest purchase to date, and idk what to get between 1060 and rx480 and which brand
>>
>>59076813
wanna see how the optimized vega will do vs the gtx 1080ti pricewise and performancewise
>>
>>59068733
Sapphire Nitro. Great card. Make sure you get the 8g because literally why not
>>
How long will I be able to play games on ultra settings at 1080p@60Hz if I buy a brand new Strix OC 1070 for effectively 314 bucks right now? Is there any major leap in performance on the horizon? I'd hate to find out that the 2070 is like twice as powerful.
>>
Anyone know what causing my gpu running at full clock while idle?It should be running at like 27c idle
Fucking wangblows 10 man
>>
>>59079158
The 2070 will be much more powerful but a 1070 will do you fine for 1080p 60fps for several years. 1080p is nothing for a 1070.
>>
File: 0yx303-bi-01.14.jpg (93KB, 864x880px) Image search: [Google]
0yx303-bi-01.14.jpg
93KB, 864x880px
What is the most powerful non-gaymen computer I can build with a 120W SFF PSU?

>inb4 get a different case
I like my case
>>
>>59076235
No gaymes are even remotely close to using 32GB. I'd get 2x8GB now and then add 2x8 later if something comes up that requires this much.
>>
>>59079280
You don't buy a 16 thread CPU for gaymen either.
>>
>>59079301
Upgrading a CPU, especially with a water cooler, is way more hassle than adding two sticks of RAM.

Although I don't know why he needs 1800X either.
>>
>>59079301
That doesn't look like a work computer.
>>
File: 1466581023198.jpg (202KB, 725x967px) Image search: [Google]
1466581023198.jpg
202KB, 725x967px
>>59076216

Was about to say that board is ugly and go ASUS until I saw dual NVMe support

>>59076235
>>59079280

>not using RAMdisk

I'd get 128GB just for that, try it you'll see the difference
>>
>>59079353
>RAMdisk

Pretty useless, with a M.2 Samsung 960 you'll be bottlenecked by things other than disk throughput 99.9% of the time anyway.
>>
the feels when you buy a brand new used 390x and it doesn't work right in your pcie 2.0 mobo.

Before anyone chimes in. newest bios, newest chipset drivers. Tried both slots. 390x works fine in friends z77 and any pci 2.0 card works fine in p67.

Some kind of fringe compatibility problem? both asus too :/

Sorry for the blog, just bummed out. You think a pci 3.0 z68 board will do the trick? found one for $90 cib. Holy cow used z77 are spendy.
>>
>>59079320
I'm saying he could need the RAM for something that's not gaming.
>>59079335
Why, because the mobo has "gaming" in the name? At this point in time I'd say you have to go out of your way to avoid "gaming" and "RGB" in high end consumer grade computer parts.
>>
would this be a good deal for $113.99?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236078&ignorebbr=1
>>
>>59079440
>the mobo has "gaming" in the name
>gaming graphics card
>meme water cooler
>phanteks case with glass panel
>>
Should I overclock my RAM?

I finally got around to overclocking my 6600k and now I'm eyeing up my 2133mhz RAM. Am I likely to have any success?
>>
>>59079372

With a ramdisk you're running exclusively on north bridge and correct me if I'm wrong but RAM speeds go higher
>>
>>59079477
>>gaming graphics card
Are you using a quadro?
>>meme water cooler
How is this "gaming"?
>>phanteks case with glass panel
How is this "gaming"?
>>
Ryzen 1700x
msi 350 mATX or gigabyte aorus x370
16 gb ddr4 (whichever has best case cover thing)
Samsung evo 500GB ssd
seasonic 650W

Need
Cpu cooler (that looks good)
Case (windowed?)

Think thats everything. Please reccomend, style and silence is the game, Australia is the name.
>>
>>59079575

Seasonic X 650

my man best psu, even if prime 850 is really tempting
>>
>>59079575

NH-D15 SE-AM4
Define S
>>
>>59079575
You'll very likely want a GPU along with that. As for cooler and case, you're the only one who knows what looks good to you. Noctua coolers are arguably the best, but have the diarrhea color scheme, AIOs can look clean and nice if you're into that.
>>
>>59079630
Oh yeah gpu, I really cant decide. The 480 looks tempting but i can basiaclly get a 1080 if i want. The issue for me is my 7970 (gets holy fuck LOUD) hasnt been the experience but at the same time ive never used nvidia. AIO? is that like liquid cooling? is it actually worth it?

>>59079625
that fan actually looks decent, ill probs get the black noctua fans after market.

s looks alright, is it windowed?

>>59079613
cheers my man
>>
File: 1467516156294.jpg (273KB, 1597x1285px) Image search: [Google]
1467516156294.jpg
273KB, 1597x1285px
>>59079683

Get a 1080, minimum 1070 (depending on your resolution, aim for 1440p) a price drop might be looming soon with 1080ti release

Fans you'll be looking for NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM
NF-A12 version exists as well, you could get the 3000 pwm but they really get loud so make sure you control them from uefi/bios

s is windowed yeah
>>
>>59079683
>The 480 looks tempting but i can basiaclly get a 1080 if i want
Get what you need, which directly depends on what games you're planning to play and what your monitor is capable of. The 480 is very good for 1080p and regular games, if you're planning to play very demanding games or at 4K, you'll want the 1080.
>AIO? is that like liquid cooling? is it actually worth it?
You strap the small piece onto your CPU and the big radiator on your cause where the case fans would go. Cooling performance is similar to top end air coolers, but a bit more noisy due to the pump running. You can use it in cases that don't have enough room for a giant NH-D15 and won't ever have to worry about watercooling specifics as you would in custom loop.
>>
>>59079754
probs needs to be high, Im looking more to do emulation (not consoles but android) and also to run stuff like blender and unity on.

>>59079727
oh i didnt know the ti was announced, guess ill (sadly) wait for it, dont want to have an out dated system from the get go
>>
budget anywhere from 1800-2k dollars, purpose to play games and possibly stream
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LTb9XH
pls see if anything is wrong, im not the best with this stuff, also if i can change anything to get the price down without compromising quality, cause if not ill spend the money
>>
>>59069547
Sell 560 for $50.
Don't buy new case.
Use the $50 from case purchase, $50 from 560 sale, and additional $50 from wallet and then gattai together for $150 fund to buy RX 480 4GB.
>>
>no hexa core
>no quad core
Fuck you AMD.
>>
File: IMG_2097.png (385KB, 720x787px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2097.png
385KB, 720x787px
How important is one of these for building a fast pc? Is it more important for me to get to 16 GB ram or to get an ssd first?
>>
>>59080014

SSD is WAAAY more important.

16GB is nice to have but situations where more than 8GB is required are rare outside of productivity software.

An SSD will transform your computer. It makes a massive difference in the quality of the user experience. It boots loads and installs faster and everything just feels "snappier."
>>
>>59080014
More RAM literally don't do anything at all if you're not using more than what you've had before.
>>
>>59080014
SSD is pretty much mandatory in any build that costs more than 500 dollars.
>>
>>59079903
You don't need to buy seperate thermal paste, that cooler comes with enough paste for one installation. Also I'd recommend buying a 2TB HDD straight away, it's not that much more expensive. You could even consider getting 1TB SSD and adding a HDD later if you need one, but that might be too expensive.

>>59079993
6/12, 4/8 & 4/4 CPUs are coming later this year. Just wait a bit longer
>>
>>59079511
>Are you using a quadro?
No, I'm using integrated graphics in my work machine. There is no use for a 390X.

>How is this "gaming"?
It's not "gaming" per se, but 99.9% of the time you see those things it's in a gaymen computer.
Why are you so butthurt that you can't pretend your LED-backlit funny box is a work computer? There's nothing wrong in having a computer to play games on.

>>59079498
The point is that a PCIe SSD is already so fast that any further increase in disk I/O speed, be it by 10% or 1000%, won't lead to any appreciable difference for the user.
>>
File: 1429854421586.jpg (82KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1429854421586.jpg
82KB, 900x900px
>>59080145
>just wait
Fucking no.. REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>59080193

When you really push 4K, frame rendering is much smoother on ramdisk; either way, it always depends on how much you're bottlenecked but offloading storage all together has some advantages
>>
>>59079819

wait for the 1180 or even vega while you're at it to be in the cycle then, you can still run your previous gpu because it's probably not the best time to be buying GPUs right now
>>
>>59080193
>I'm using integrated graphics in my work machine. There is no use for a 390X.
Your and idiot.
>It's not "gaming" per se, but 99.9% of the time you see those things it's in a gaymen computer.
I'm absolutely not butthurt, THIS is what I'm getting at. You can't have high end consumer parts without instantly falling into the gaymen category. Actual workstation parts are a whole lot more expensive than "gaming" parts.
>>
>>59070787
Ryzen + Vega if you are more patient for maximum price vs performance
>>
>>59080324
>your
>idiot

it's you're dipshit
>>
>>59080422
>it's you're, dipshit
FTFY
Also lurk more.
>>
>>59080324
>You can't have high end consumer parts without instantly falling into the gaymen category.

That's because, surprise surprise, the differences between those parts and mainstream ones are all gaymen, overclocking or fashion related.

If you want a cost efficient computer for actual work, depending on the software you need, you either use non high end parts because it makes no difference, or you use "actual workstation parts" for features like ECC support because it matters.

You absolutely can do work on your military grade xtreme 3D dominator RGB box, but it doesn't make it a work tool and not a toy to spend your disposable income in.
>>
>>59080454
How about you take your strawman argument and shove it up your ass while I keep using my 1070 for games and CAD with the LEDs off?
>>
>>59080522
>I keep using my 1070 for CAD

>>>/r/thingsthathappened
>>
>>59080544
>I use a different system without a """"gaymen"""" GPU as a workstation
>that different system has a cheap quadro because the onboard graphics is too weak and a """"gaymen"""" GPU would trigger autists
>>
So SSD prices gonna drop anytime soon? They still seem extremely expensive compared to Black Friday pricing.
>>
So the Ryzen 7 is too expensive for my budget and I was planning on buying my CPU in May. Will Ryzen 5 be out by then?
>>
>>59081340
Wait only r7 stuff is coming out?
>>
>>59081249
>They still seem extremely expensive compared to Black Friday pricing.
Everything's extremely expensive compared to Black Friday pricing.
You're gonna have to wait for the next Black Friday.
>>
>>59081340
Who cares when a 7500 is under 200 bucks?
>>
>>59081352
R5 is Q2 IIRC
>>
>>59081396
Oh hell, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep track too.

Could really care less for top of the line, care more for bang for fuck. Extra + if Vega comes out around that time too.
>>
>>59081396
...That's literally a month away
>>
>>59081446
>a month
Or 4 months.
>>
>>59081446
Welp, I'm a retard. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>59081475
Q1 is almost over. It ends on March 31. Q2 starts on April 01.
>>
>>59081446
>>59081497
If they say Q1, it means last week of March, Q2 is last week of June.
>>
File: cpusplit.png (20KB, 956x556px) Image search: [Google]
cpusplit.png
20KB, 956x556px
will this work?
>>
File: 1460461424125.gif (479KB, 450x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460461424125.gif
479KB, 450x400px
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kqw4wV
should i just wait for the ryzen?
I plan on doing video editing, and recording and sometimes streaming for buddies with this build on a 1080p res
I also really like really really high fps
>>
Trying to decide what 480 to get. XFX GTR (non BLACKED edition) or the MSI Gaming 480. Both are same price on jet.com.
>>
>>59081975
Do you have any particular reason for not using a 960 or 850 evo/pro for an SSD? Seeing as you've opted for the king of HDDs, I'd figure you'd also opt for the king of SSDs. Except for the non-premium PSU it's otherwise a generic cookie cutter build.
>>
Can someone please check my itx build?
It's my first time building something this small. Do you have any suggestion?
https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/4b7bGf
>>
File: 1487615195090.webm (306KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487615195090.webm
306KB, 444x250px
>tfw I just sold some spoiled Russian Jewish kid an overclocked i5-7600K custom build for $2.5K
>>
>>59082462
Probably a bad deal if there's 2 1080s in SLI in there and a custom water cooling loop.
>>
>>59082533
It's a custom water-cooled micro-ATX with a single GTX 1080. He wanted a mini-version of Skunkworks that he could carry to college this fall.
There was some customization involved with acid-etching the acrylic side panel (it's a Corsair Carbide 400C) with his high school's mascot, university emblem, and his faggot-ass "gamertag" beneath it. Sleeved cables, some 3d printed stuff for the fans to cover the stickers on the back of the fan hubs and color match with his ASUS motherboard.
>>
>>59082600
Whoops, it's the Carbide 88R, a completely different case.
>>
>>59082644
Sounds fair, why aren't you posting pictures though? Sounds like a functional piece of art.
>>
>>59082702
He goes on Reddit
>>
>used i7 4790k sells for more than brand new i5 7600k
Is it time to let go of the z87 mobo and DDR3 ram?
>>
>>59083158
i7-4790k is still "relevant", which is why it has such a high pricetag. Wait for Ryzen to take its toll on the market.
>>
>>59083263
>Wait for Ryzen to take its toll on the market.
I very much doubt we'll see any difference in the coming 12 months. It's completely possibly that Ryzen won't sell enough to bring AMD back into relevance, simply because the 12 year olds are intel fanboys today. You can't build your entertainment business solely on users who know what they're doing, just look at the smartphone industry ditching headphone jacks.
>>
>>59082362
Went by reviews and price really
>>
>>59083644
It's good and very good for the money, no doubt, but Samsung owns the SSD market for a reason.
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-1TB-vs-Mushkin-Reactor-1TB/3576vs3583
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.