[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do CS majors get so angry when you ask if they can fix your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: computer-repair.jpg (25KB, 287x237px) Image search: [Google]
computer-repair.jpg
25KB, 287x237px
Why do CS majors get so angry when you ask if they can fix your computer? Is it because they are autists?
>>
>>52513268
Because they would rather be doing something more mentally demanding.
>>
>>52513268
No, it's because you're assuming that they have skills that have barely anything to do with their education.
>>
It's like asking an architect to put up a shelf
>>
>>52513393
>computer degree didn't teach computer thingies
Haha that degree was a waste then.

I will ask my 13-year-old nephew. He's good at computers.
>>
>>52513567
Why do you hate math?
>>
>>52513268
Why do Gender and Women's Studies major get so angry when you ask them if they can suck your dick? Is it because they are autists?
>>
>>52513268
Because they can't.
CS majors can't into hardware or software for that matter.
See here
>>52510438
>>
>>52513455
Why wouldn't you? What kind of shit architect can't put up a shelf?
>>
>>52513569
>year 1, learn how to program
>year 2, learn how to program better
>year 3, lean how to program on a professional level
>year 4, spend year working with companies to improve your professional skills and programming
Your point? Unless you do shit-tier IT you won't actually get taught about hardware in depth.
>>
>>52513603
>he went to a java school
>>
>>52513603
>he went to school in poo in the loo land
>>
>>52513614
Nah not even, C#/ASP.NET mostly. In europe, or at least, the Netherlands, we don't even get any of the math American CS majors all complain about. For us it's just programming and thinking like a professional.
>>
>>52513634
D-did you not take a single course on linear algebra?
>>
You're an autist if you think every CS major is at your beck and call and always want to fix your worthless garbage.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 750x787px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 750x787px
>>52513268
>Major in computer science
>can't fix a computer
>>
>>52513634
This is why Europoor programmers make 20% of an American's salary.
>>
File: 1449763957319.jpg (226KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1449763957319.jpg
226KB, 500x700px
>>52513662
Why are you such a rude boy anon?
>>
It's like asking a finance major to balance your checkbook. It's fucking easy, it demands no effort, and every fucking friend asks you to balance their fucking checkbook
>>
>>52513646
There was the option, but seeing as I'm not interested in embedded engineering I couldn't really see it as useful. And I already had calculus/algebra in an extra HS course.
My school isn't shitty either, it's just that math are not required to know how to program well imo.
>>
>>52513662
They're all a bunch of beta nerds. It's not like they have any parties to go to or gfs to fuck, so what else would they be doing? They should at least help the alpha males on campus.
>>
>>52513708
Without linear algebra you won't into machine learning or computer graphics
>>
>>52513725
Yeah, but I'm a pleb who enjoys business-oriented IT like making a process inside of a company easier for the employees.
I have picked up other programming languages in my free time, and while I don't see myself working in those fields, I do enjoy learning about them.
>>
>>52513268
1: you expect us to do it for free
2: the only time you ever talk to us is if you need help with your computer
3: if we fix it, and shit breaks a year down the line you automatically blame us for it
4: you wont stop downloading shitty torrents, music downloads and toolbars after we told you how to properly browse the web
5: you fucked up your computer because you have zero idea how to use or maintain it, and since we fixed it once, you will almost literally call us every 6 months on the dot to fix a new fucking problem because you're too dumb to learn

fixing someone elses computer is literally the worst thing you can do for your health or sanity

>>52513569
protip: if a 13yr old can fix it and you cant, you seriously need to reconsider if you should actually own a computer
>>
>>52513569
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLUPjefuWA
>>
>>52513588
yeah
>>
>>52513708
The college of engineering at my uni won't even let you take any programming courses until youve passed Trigonometry. I feel fucking ripped off.
>>
>>52513778
to add to that: If it takes less than 2 minutes to fix, they start saying "I could have done that so easily, that's nothing". If it takes 2 minutes or more, they start saying "but I thought you were good with computers >:^)" in a condescending tone.
>>
>>52513766
American here looking to get into the exact thing you just explained

Where do I begin
>>
>>52513931
>"I could have done that so easily, that's nothing"
yet you couldn't figure it out on the phone when you fucking called me and i walked you through it
>>
>>52513798
>trig at college
wtf america that is middle school shit
>>
>>52513798
I took trig in fucking middle school. How retarded are you bro?
>>
File: iPeirKp.png (55KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
iPeirKp.png
55KB, 625x626px
>>52513268 (You)
>>52513569 (You)
>>52513602 (You)
>>52513695 (You)
>>52513714 (You)
>>
>>52513934
Study Wirtschaftsinformatik in Germany or adjacent countries. Get familiar with business process modelling and ERP systems.
>>
All this b8 in this thread.

Here, let me try!

>Macs are better than PC's
>>
>>52514238
>Wirtschaftsinformatik
löl
>>
>>52513268
It's all they ever hear from people who don't share their passion or degree.
>>
>>52514238
>ERP systems
oh fuck no, I've spent 2 years working at an ERP company and it sucked my soul dry
>>
Because you're asking them to do for free what they should be getting paid a pretty good amount if money to do. 99% of them will gladly do it....If you pay them at a rate commensurate with their skills.
>>
>>52514295
Oh you stop löling you >:|
>>
>>52514352
Which system? Or consulting?
>>
>be doctor
>people always come asking for you to fix them up perscriptions and give medical advice for free
>be plumber
>people always come and ask you to fix their taps and unclog their toilet for free
>be builder
>people always come and ask you to build a deck and fix their roof for free
>be CS major
>people always come and ask you to fix their computer for free
One of these things actually happens.
>>
>job interview
>interviewee doesn't have knowledge of computer from sequential logic and semiconductor physics to functional programming
>>
>>52514383
What? I've seen ALL of those things happen. The builder was a DIYer though.
>>
It reminds them they do not know how to since they did not take the proper course: computer engineering or mathematics, and as such suddenly remember that graduates from those two fields are better than them in every single way.
>>
>>52514519
>mathematics
>300k starting
>any job I want
>>
>>52514558
>computer science
>try to join the 9-5 ratrace
>get a job after 6 months of applications
>23K starting
>>
>>52514606
Do you live in Ethiopia?
>>
>>52513603
>spend year working with companies to improve your professional skills and programming
This is literally done in every fucking semester at my school. Every project assumes a business setting and we get "professional lessons"(presentations, writing, meetings etc) for 2 years which after you do internships.

Of course it's meant to prepare you for a job. But it's retarded to think of it as an afterthought since it's literally the most important thing you can learn in any college major.
>>
>>52513268
>tfw you're CS, and people around asks if you can hack facebook, google and stuff
>>
>>52513699
It's worse, really. If you can't keep track of your income and spending in an age of automatic electronic documentation of any expenditure that could possibly involve your checkbook, you are a fool.

Needing your checkbook balanced is like needing to manually defrag your hard drive. It should be taken care of automatically and if you have to do it yourself it's likely because of a fuck up on your part.
>>
>>52514653
>tfw you're CS, and people come up to you with "great" ideas that will be bigger than facebook, google and stuff
>>
>>52513268
That's every major, actually. There are threads about that on /sci/ from time to time.

>Oh, you're majoring in Math. So you want to be a teacher?
>Oh, you're EE. Can you fix my electric socket?
>Economics? Can you help me fill these forms?
>You're specializing in fluid dynamics? I've got a problem with hot water in the shower. Can you take a look?
Et cetera, et cetera.
>>
>>52513581
Don't mind the anti-intellectuals. They take pride in their ignorace and will vehemently defend their point of view. They are not used to thinking and are afraid to start, that is all.
>>
>>52513634
Fuck off, HBO pauper, you can call it a "University of Applied Science" all you want, but it isn't a University.

If you would actually study CS on an actual university: Delft/Eindhoven/Enschede you'll get the math. You'll probably get a Java course in Enschede, everything else is about math and concepts. I don't know, I'm an EE student, but what I know is that HBO EE is fucking horrible.
>>
>>52513708
"School"

HBO pauper detected.
>>
>>52513268
its because they cant do it and it angers them because they wasted years of their life for sensless degree
>>
Its like asking your friend the mechanic to fix your car for free.
Its like asking your friend the Doctor to give you a free run in the MRI.
Its like asking your friend the lawyer to get your ass out of jail and your broke.

For some reason people think just because you're younger you can fix there computer and its something really simple. Maybe I just want to have a normal conversation with you instead of being demand to do slave labor every we talk.
>>
>>52513268
It's because computer science and computer repair are two different things
>>
Because usually it's a problem that can be fixed after a quick google search.
Because being a CS student doesn't automatically make me good at dealing with hardware or software. I could be in IT or I could be a SD.
Because even if I do fix it they'll probably just break it after a few weeks again.
Because whenever you hand me your laptop it's sticky and disgusting and I feel like it's a health hazard sometimes.

That being said, I don't usually experience the "household computer guy" problem because my dad is even more proficient with computers than I am.

>t. CScuck
>>
I have a couple friends in accounting and they absolutely hate it when people ask them to do their taxes or go over their books.

It's common courtesy to not ask people to do chores for you anyways.
>>
>>52513268
Because they are trying to hide that they don't know shit about computers.
>>
>>52513268
I'm fine with it. Most of my friends/family are gracious people who would do the same for me. I enjoy fixing computers every now and then.

>>52513567
I finished Calculus II in December and I already forgot that shit. I was actually going to be a math major until my school reinstated the CS major (small liberal arts college). I'm taking linear algebra now and hopefully it sticks with me since I would like to be a graphics programmer eventually.
>>
>>52513588
>Gender and Women's Studies major
it's because they can't do anything useful
>>
>>52513268
Most Linux users that ask me for help have hardware issues. Neither of us worked on said hardware, so we can't fix it (unless it is as simple as a missing driver).

Most windows users that ask me for help have some random bug in windows that it would be unreasonable to expect me to know about. Fix devolves into googling, which said person usually has already done.

Most OS X users asking me for help, I usually do help,as they usually just don't understand something that I can explain. Most OS X using developers have issues in the same way as windows users.
>>
Ask a CE guy instead

t. Computer Engineer
>>
>>52516377
you know what I say when someone asks me to do this shit?

>how much money you got?
>>
>>52514177
No Child Left Behind Act
is what made America stupid
>>
>>52513268
Because to be quite honest, for most, that's not their strengths. I have two CS grads. They're great for development, but I hire real engineers for any of our infrastructure.
>>
>>52513268
It's the equivalent of asking a mechanical engineer if they can change the oil in your car.
It's basically insulting.
>>
>>52514410

why is this allowed?
>>
>>52513268

Its like if you go up to your friend who's a doctor and you're like "so hey I think I'm coming down with something"

It's rude and kind of annoying. And to top it all off we get asked to do this all the time. Like people who vaguely remember meeting you at that one party 25 years ago will call you up like "hey can you fix my shit? I'm not gonna give you money...I just want you to do it"
>>
>>52513268
How many CS majors does it take to screw in a light bulb?

>None. Its a hardware problem
>>
>>52513268
Because they don't intend to pay you anything, and they expect it done quickly.

Because once you do it for them once as a favor, they'll expect help constantly in the future.

Because if you say no, even politely, people get bent out of shape and think you're rude.

Because if you ask for payment for your services like a normal professional, people get bent out of shape and think you're rude.

Because even if you fix their problem quickly and for free, two days later a completely unrelated problem (perhaps on a completely unrelated device that also just happens to be in their hiome) will crop up and it will be your fault because you were the last person to "work on it" and they'll demand you fix that as well or they'll tell everyone you broke their stuff, left it, and don't know what you're doing.

Because people are fucking idiots who are terrified of their computers and think that if you like computers, you should be morally obligated to assist them with their problems at any time and with no compensation, 'as a friend'.
>>
>>52513798
>I can't into triangles
>>
File: B_EOy_xU4AA5u2g.jpg (31KB, 592x444px) Image search: [Google]
B_EOy_xU4AA5u2g.jpg
31KB, 592x444px
>>52513268

Because it's not just my major it's my job.

It would be like if for some reason very few people knew how to bag groceries and you do it for 40 to 60 hours a week and every time your family went to the grocery store that asked if you could come a long to bag their groceries for them for free.

A more realistic analogy would be everyone who knew a car mechanic asking them to fix their car for free. It's just that people don't appreciate how much effort you put in to learning what you know and treat your time like it's unimportant.
>>
>>52513268
imagine you stacked shelves at a supermarket for a job.
imagine people kept asking you to come around there house and stack their fucking shelves.
>>
File: noonecareswhoiwas.jpg (81KB, 599x410px) Image search: [Google]
noonecareswhoiwas.jpg
81KB, 599x410px
>bugging Picasso to paint your house
>annoying Einstein for help with your algebra homework

Same shit really
>>
>>52513778
>>52513931
>>52513983
This shit always happened to me until I started demanding money for doing it.
Suddenly people actually learned from their mistakes.
>>
File: kornheiser_why.jpg (23KB, 288x499px) Image search: [Google]
kornheiser_why.jpg
23KB, 288x499px
>Hey you know computers right?
>I have a embedded Pentium 2 thing that I need you to fix.
>Its broken, idk how.
>Payment? Aren't we friends Anon?
>>
>>52513268
my friends and coworkers learned a long time ago that if I don't get either a blowjob or cash money I'll format their hard drive and install templeOS
That'll definitely fix their 'virus'
>>
Sure thing. Oh, btw, I charge $100/h.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.