[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Distros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 13

File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458KB, 2000x2320px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458KB, 2000x2320px
What Linux Distro do you use and why?

I'll start:
>Lubuntu
>Because it just werks
>>
Ubuntu Mate with Openbox

AMD driver just works. Steam just works. Heaps of third party packages and game like OpenTTD OpenXcom. Find the answer to literally any problem you have on Google.
>>
Fedora.
Because it's easier to use than Ubuntu (no shitty Unity), it has just as much software that's easily available, and it doesn't try to sell you shit constantly and report your actions to Ubuntu HQ for data analysis.
>>
Gentoo
Because I can configure it the way I see fit.
>>
>>52504779
Gentoo.
USE flags, and automated .patch file application.
>>
>>52504779
Arch Linux
>inb4 nice may may
Its very streamlined, allows the install to be customized a ton, and doesn't come with any bloat to start with so you can choose 100% what packages you want to install from the base os. Plus the AUR; if there is a Linux package on the web you want,, odds are its in there
>>
windows
because it just werks better than linux
>>
Gentoo, literally because I fell for the Install Gentoo meme.

Now that I'm using it I like it for its easy customization, use flags, and general streamlined non-bloated way.

>>52504863
Nice meme friend. I'm sure the NSA, Google, Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle, and a couple hundred advertising firms got a good laugh out of that too.
>>
>>52504779
Gentoo. I get to pick from the ground up, so I never get fucked in the ass. Also slotting and true multilib support.
>>
windows on the desktop because linux is shit

arch on my server because it's the best
>>
>>52504914
>>
>>52504779
Arch.
Super lightweight, genuinely never broken on me once. Probably because I know how to actually fucking use config files, compared to these spastics who complain when their package manager overwrites files it owns.
>>
>>52504779
slackware cause I'm leet.
>>
Ubuntu, because Unity is the only non-shit DE. I'm looking at you, KDE.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
>>52504958
>Unity is the only non-shit DE
>>
>>52504928
>muh bait
not everyone suffers from acute autism
>>
>>52504969
Did I trigger you? Want some salve for your butthurt?
>>
>>52504779
Xubuntu, for the same reason and also because it doesn't look like shit.
>>
Fedora, because my laptop is super old and it looks simple.
>>
>>52504996
You are taking the internet too seriously man, the guy is obviously trolling, try to be less gullible
>>
File: ballmer.jpg (21KB, 389x298px) Image search: [Google]
ballmer.jpg
21KB, 389x298px
>>52504914
> Linux is shit
I'm so sick of this meme.

Linux is not shit, it does the best it can with the what the industry gives it, and it does a damn good job of it, a better job than windows does even with its proprietary connections.

Corporations don't like Linux desktop because they don't want people knowing how to use computers and using FOSS, because then they won't pay to be fucked in the ass for things they could get free, and in fact get for free quicker than they get it by paying.

Linux is not "autistic". There are plenty of distros that you can just load up and run with no need to do anything more advanced than what you'd do with any new OS.

There's a different way of doing things, sure, but 99% of the time it's the same shit. Package managers are superior to downloading .exes with no validation from websites, and they resolve dependencies and such for you. It is easier to install things on Linux than on Windows.

All of this it does faster and more efficiently than Windows, all while giving it to you for free and respecting your freedom to change it and your freedom to live life without Microshaft peering into everything you do, selling your information to advertisers and the government

> Hahaha tinfoil hat detected

Can you honestly tell me that you'd rather be spied on for no additional benefit?

You use software that doesn't work, that you aren't allowed to make work, and in return you get your information stolen.

Hell, let's assume Windows is equal to Linux. You have two choices then - be spied on or not be spied on.

Who in their right mind would choose the former?
>>
>>52504958
Gonna actually disagree with you.

GNOME 3 provides touchscreeny glitter while being lighter, which is saying something, and it's somewhat more streamlined.

MATE is an actually useable DE, what with actually letting you access your menus without doing some asinine mouse gestures.

LXDE is similarly intuitive and extremely light. XFCE is the same, just with more modularity at the cost of slightly less lightness.

Never used KDE but I looked at screenshots of it and almost threw up.
>>
Gentoo because I wanted to see just how difficult installing it was.

Not difficult at all, just time consuming, the only "hard" part was that my network adapter didn't work with linux so I had to buy a better one.
>>
>>52504779
Arch and a Debian chroot. I use arch because it is easier to not add bloat than to remove it and also because of the fact that it is the only "stable" rolling distro beside gentoo (can't use it on my POS computer). The Debian chroot is used for 32bit software and the rare .deb only package.
>>
>>52504779
Centos
Because it's stable and redhat based
>>
>>52505072
>MATE is an actually useable DE, what with actually letting you access your menus without doing some asinine mouse gestures.

What do you mean by this? You still have to click something or tap a key on your keyboard, like every single other DE. And iirc it lacks start menu search by default.

>Never used KDE but I looked at screenshots of it and almost threw up.
Plasma 5 is much much much better than KDE4. It's not perfect, but it shouldn't make you almost throw up anymore. You can customize it just as much, if not more, than XFCE btw, so you can make it look as good or bad as you want.
>>
File: ughhhhh.gif (2MB, 319x264px) Image search: [Google]
ughhhhh.gif
2MB, 319x264px
>>52504830
>mfw I have to choose my USE flags
>>
>>52504779
Manjaro
Couldn't be bothered to mess with wifi on Arch and unlike Windows/NT, it just werks, only wifi and pacman broken on me: wifi due to wine and pacman due to my incompetence
>>
File: 1450554011329.gif (619KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1450554011329.gif
619KB, 500x281px
Arch
I very much prefer having only the bare minimum of packages that I actually need
>>
>>52504837
Same. I literally just switched from Lubuntu to Arch 2 days ago. Took me a while to figure it out, but after finally getting it to work I couldn't be happier.
>>
>>52505238
defaults are fine desu, all you need to do is set the appropriate profile.
>>
>Solaris
>because it's not Linux :^)
>>
>>52505052
>Corporations don't like Linux desktop because they don't want people knowing how to use computers and using FOSS
No, they don't like it in their everyday desktop computing environments because it's unsuitable for that use case. There's nothing to stop those corporations from simply porting their proprietary software over to GNU/Linux systems and charging for it (or support for it) the same way it works on the server side and what Valve is trying to do with SteamOS.

There isn't some massive corporate conspiracy to kill GNU/Linux on the desktop, there's no reason for there to be, because the consumer market is worthless to the majority of the big bad software companies you think are trying to keep you down. The reality is that people simply don't give a shit about it or any efficiency it offers for such a use case when the NT platform performs exactly to their expectations exactly the way they like it.
>>
>Manjaro linux
>ARCH without the autism
>>
>>52505150
Teach me your ways of chroot sensei.
>>
>>52504779
Is this now FLT?

Because I'm on Arch/Antergos and after an update I haven't been able to get Steam to work for weeks.

radeonsi_dri.so is missing after an update, as well as the pointers or whatever, and I can't find them anywhere online.
>>
>>52505990
>Corporations don't like Linux desktop because they don't want people knowing how to use computers and using FOSS
No, they don't like it in their everyday desktop computing environments because it's unsuitable for that use case. There's nothing to stop those corporations from simply porting their proprietary software over to GNU/Linux systems and charging for it (or support for it) the same way it works on the server side and what Valve is trying to do with SteamOS.

Except for money.
Money is the only reason why linux is not enforced with all these enterprise and business applications.

>Need to maintain multiple editions on software
>Smaller market share reach
>Assumed security upkeep

Money, money, money.

Linux is great. Not having business applications is not all bad. It just has different uses to up tip that disadvantage.
>>
>>52505052
calm your autism
>>
Ubuntu MATE. I use it because I just recently started using Linux and had no experience before. Ubuntu means I can easily find packages for all software I need, especially third-party ones (Slack, Spotify, Mendeley) and I like the MATE desktop because of the traditional top panel. Also, all my hardware worked ootb, which was very neat.

>>52504794
I'm interested in a bit more minimal WM, did you follow any tutorial on setting up Openbox ?
>>
Ubuntu because:
>>52506146
>>
ubuntu
>>
File: debian.png (784KB, 2267x1763px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
784KB, 2267x1763px
Debian stable. I like my freedom just as much as my stability.
>>
Installed recently Arch as my first Linux distro on my Laptop, because i want to learn how Linux works. Probably a stupid idea, but i got the most basic shit working, got wlan connection etc
Currently figuring out, what DE to use, currently Cinnamon installed, but want to try some others.
>>
>>52506138
>Except for money.
>Money is the only reason why linux is not enforced with all these enterprise and business applications.
>Money, money, money.

That's entirely correct. Why would I waste millions of dollars porting software, finding new software, negotiating new support contracts, cancelling old ones, re-training my entire workforce to use, maintain, and develop on an operating system for no apparent reason other than some nebulous concept of "it's just better" in ways that the users will not meaningfully notice?

Linux IS great, it has MANY uses and can be very powerful for those uses over NT or OS X, everything has a niche. And that's part of what makes computing as fascinating as it is.
>>
>gentoo
>use flags and no systemd bullshit
>>
>Antergos with Cinnamon
>because fuck you
>>
Fedora. Please I beg you. It's the best
e
d
o
r
a
>>
Arch.
U
R

because I haven't installed a package manually since I installed yaourt.
>>
File: androidify.gif (194KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
androidify.gif
194KB, 250x250px
Android...burn me faggotz

And debian because raspian and kali...
>>
>>52507501
Ok lennart
>>
>>52507701
Ok Nigel.
>>
>>52504795
>Just as much software
Are we talking about the same Fedora?
>>
>>52504779
Arch, because it's fun
>>
Arch, Debian and LFS.
Because they just work and are fun while working.
>>
>>52508212
hahaha, well meme'd :^D
>>
Kali
Because I only use it for cracking shit
>>
File: costanza_dress.jpg (89KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
costanza_dress.jpg
89KB, 500x500px
>debian/ubuntu.
debian on desktop and whichever of the two has better packages for whatever is being built/developed.
I've been meaning to try linux from scratch though.
>>
I really like Mint MATE tbqh familia
>>
Xubuntu.
Because it's the objectively best DE.
>>
>>52508413
XFCE is okay, but Unity is better brozilla
>>
Debian Stable. You configure it once and then it just werks until hell freezes over. Well, or until you move your ass and upgrade to current stable
>>
File: Vomit.jpg (82KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
Vomit.jpg
82KB, 680x680px
>>52508437
>Using Unity
Urk
>>
>>52504779
Void Linix
because runit & xbps are awesome

>no SystemD infected OS
>not even a freetard
>>
Debian testing with i3 on my ThinkPad E545. I'm a wizard.
>>
>>52505640
This, portage is fucking god-tier
>>
>>52508825
more like snail-tier
>>
Dual boot with Manjaro and windows because I'm lazy :P
>>
Arch linux + i3 wm

Because it just werks and non-bloat life
>>
File: scrot400.png (4MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
scrot400.png
4MB, 1920x1200px
CRUX

Because all other distros are bloated pieces of shit.
>>
Ubuntu 15.04 because i built a second PC (of spare parts) to stream my steam games to so is rather have a full functioning OS than Steam OS
>>
>>52508594
>being unemployed

>le_anime_girl.png
>>
Getting tired of i3 but all the DE's are shit. wat do
>>
>>52510443
install gentoo :DD
>>
>>52509492
hi kori
>>
>>52510443
Figure it out

Find some other WMs you fool
>>
Arch.
Because of reasons.
>>
>>52504779
are you the guy who made a thread asking which distro to use? if so, i'm the guy who recommended lubuntu! (:
nice to see you installed it
>>
Mint
its good
>>
LXLE because Broadcomm hardware will work out of the box.
>>
>>52510407
Studying at a good european university actually.
Why do you hate yourself so much that you use Unity?
>>
>>52511202
still unemployed lol
>>
>>52505072
>>52505209
>>52508437
>XFCE
s/XFCE/Xfce/
http://xfce.org/
>>
>>52504779
Kubuntu

Just works. Easy to rice DE.
>>
>>52505052
>a better job than windows
Yes linux is better in some cases and I am sure on your side, but stating your own opinion, even saying "sick of this meme" and that "linux is not shit" and then saying that windows is shit, is just reversing the meme you hate and being a dickhead. We get it, "linux is better" is just the same as "windows is shit" - an opinion.
Thanks for contributing to this thread. linux is as autistic as windows.
>>
>>52506138
>Money is the only reason why linux is not enforced with all these enterprise and business applications.
besides that it is unusable as fuck for most people that are used to using windows (oh the irony but that is sadly the truth), it is also possible to distribute programs as binaries without the source and sell them on linux - so money is not the problem here.
Market share matters, but not as much as you want to think. I never heard someone say something about assumed security upkeep. Everyone (even the people that don't know anything) spouting thinks like "virus free", "need no antivirus" etc.

>Need to maintain multiple editions on software
Maybe yes, like windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Even the structure of appdata changed a bit from 7 to 10. So here we have a little bit of "maintain multiple editions" of operating systems. Besides all the facts for linux, I am using W7.
>>
Slackware because i'm a slacker
>>
>>52504779
Ubuntu 15.10 because I have Jewtel Baytrail laptop because it is the only one that works with baytrail laptops. system is 64-bit but the UEFI loader is 32-bit taken from 32-bit ubuntu version. Self compiled, nothing to whine about.
>>
>>52505072
no fucking way is gnome 3 lighter than unity. I tired it in my baytrail laptop and it lagged. Unity didnt. BUT, it was superior when it came to touch screen support.
>>
>Debian Jessie
Because my first distro
>Puppy linux
Because being root on a system where you've got a safety net is cash
>PC-BSD (not linux but w/e)
>Fedora
>Arch
Considering trying one of these, should I go for it?
>>
Mint, just werks and Cinnamon's great. Xubuntu on my old as fuck work laptop.
>>
>>52504779
>Arch
>So I can look down on people who don't
>>
>>52504779
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>52512525
hes not quoting anybody you newfag
>>
>>52505209
Plasma 5 is the best DE I've ever used. People like pointing it it's resouce heavy, but it doesn't have to be, you can turn a lot of this like the search off. But the thing is I don't, it's resource heavy, but it actually uses what it does well both for productivity/functionality and for eye candy.

You don't NEED 16 virtual desktops across 4 activities , but if you want it, it's there with zero effort.

And it's customizable as fuck. People looking at google pics and deciding they don't like the window borders are fucking retarded, there's a shitton of window borders everything from aero type to your modular , or my preferance of no border.

Konsole is also fucking great I've replaced my usual terminal emulator with it. Highly customizable and functional.
>>
Arch Linux
I like it's modularity and it's package manager pacman. It has everything I need in the official repos and the aur. Also, once you install it, it's done. Rolling release ftw. Also provides the best KDE Plasma 5 experience. And pacman is the fastest updater compared to apt or similar. The only thing that comes close to pacman would be eopkg on Solus.
>>
>>52505474
>Couldn't be bothered to mess with wifi on Arch
What do you mean by this? Just run #wifi-menu -o once and you never have to worry again unless you roam, but it's just as easy to connect as anything else.
>>
>>52512859
I've gotten under 400 mb of ram used with just konsole open, so it really isn't resource intensive, unlike gnome 3. KDE 5 Plasma is my favorite de, if I want to test another de or wm, I always keep coming back to KDE, plus, I've encountered the least amount of bugs with it, everything just werks for me, especially with Arch.
>>
Slackware.

Minimal, fast, stable.
Runs real well on older systems.
>>
>>52504779
Arch because of pacman being pretty great and the AUR while still getting godlike customization
>>
Fedora,
It's based off redhat, and it goes with my hat.
>>
>>52511299
kek
>>
Opensuse. I like it.
>>
>>52504779
I switch distro every week so I never have to feel how empty my life is.
>>
>>52504779
Mint
>>
>>52504837
>>52505613
i run arch too and never experienced the break meme also
>>
>>52504779
Vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 with 4.2.0 generic kernel.
It is generally supported and works well for me.
>>
Debian and Tails.
They do all the things I need to do and stay out of my way.
>>
>>52508338
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>52513463
>carat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret
>:c
>>
Mint. Ubuntu was broken to hell when I tried it.

Mint just werks
>>
Slackware, because its stable and its unixy
>>
Slackware. Not broken, Slackbuilds are comfy, werks out of the box, no ShitstemDicks.
>>
>>52513515
Cinnamon constantly crashes. Mint uses old Ubuntu packages. Clem is holding back kernel security updates. Yahoo ad shit baked into the browser. Fuck that Irish nigger distro!
>>
>>52504795
>it doesn't try to sell you shit constantly and report your actions to Ubuntu HQ for data analysis
What's stopping you from installing any *buntu other than Ubuntu? Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, elementaryOS... They have all the good bits minus the crap bits.
>>
>>52504779
Arch Linux.
Fast, OS resident memory footprint is less than 300MB, bleeding-edge (it doesn't fall apart as often as people claim), the AUR, undoubtedly the best Linux wiki around, plus the fact that everytime I open "top" I know what every single process listed exactly does. That's empowering and reassuring.
>>
>>52504779

Only Linux in the house is on Raspberry Pi, so Raspbian. Technically Debian then.
>>
>>52513555
>no ShitstemDicks
Not for long, heh heh
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.