[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
ITT: Ruby
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 26
What is the best programming language and why is it Ruby?
>>
No.
Ruby belongs in >>>/gd/
>>
Matz pls go. Ruby is dead, and rails killed it.

Go is the hip new web language
>>
Not this thread again
>>
File: 1376715286904.gif (954 KB, 375x211) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1376715286904.gif
954 KB, 375x211
>>43078826
>Ruby
>>
>>43078826
java does everything
>>
File: 1308086737743.jpg (14 KB, 241x249) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1308086737743.jpg
14 KB, 241x249
>>43078843

confirmed for not know what Ruby is.
>>
c++ is objectively the best programming language.
>>
>>43078894

*knowing
>>
>>43078894
I know exactly what it is and it's not a programming language, its a coding language :^)
>>
>>43078886
>>43078876
>>43078888
quads
>>43078919

Why do you hate the master programming language, anon?
>>
File: 3Dvomitchan.jpg (77 KB, 386x460) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
3Dvomitchan.jpg
77 KB, 386x460
>Ruby
>>
>>43078937

What's the difference?
>>
File: 1307685140271.jpg (11 KB, 347x304) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1307685140271.jpg
11 KB, 347x304
>>43079046

butthurt python user detected
>>
File: zombievomit.gif (44 KB, 256x256) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
zombievomit.gif
44 KB, 256x256
>Ruby
>>
>>43078975
Ruby is inferior to Perl in every respect.
>>
File: 1307664711743s.jpg (3 KB, 126x116) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1307664711743s.jpg
3 KB, 126x116
>>43079219
>>
File: ruby_logo[1].gif (8 KB, 331x119) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ruby_logo[1].gif
8 KB, 331x119
ITT: We have no excuse.
>>
>>43079219
except syntax

>>43078937
low quality b8
>>
Why not just learn every language you can and stop whining about which is best?
>>
>>43079556

Because these python and perl faggots need to get told.
>>
>>43079638
Mad ruby is where perl was 10 years ago?
>>
>>43079662

Do you mean relevant?

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/115851/is-perl-still-a-useful-viable-language
>>
>>43079219
Nah dude ruby is better.
>Better syntax
>Better OO

>Better community (in 2014)
>tfw the golden era of the perl community is long dead
>>
>>43079747
>OO
OO is harmful anyways, worse OO in Perl encourages less harmful code
>>
> ruby
> not perl6
>>
>>43079881
>hurr durr X is harmful because some faggots told me so
>>
There is no best programming language. It depends up the finished program's intent.
>>
File: 1339947256040.jpg (48 KB, 389x366) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1339947256040.jpg
48 KB, 389x366
>>43079886

He still uses perl.
>>
>>43079947
>Language that works
>Language that looks cool
gee u sure showed me
>>
>>43079947
Fuck off sluts you don't even program.
>>
File: 1328924385840.jpg (626 KB, 1525x1946) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1328924385840.jpg
626 KB, 1525x1946
>>43079990

> gee u sure showed me

>>43079886
strong argument

http://www.fastcolabs.com/3026446/the-fall-of-perl-the-webs-most-promising-language

> perl

He keeps using it.
>>
>>43079990
Ruby works and looks cool. What's your point?
>>
>>43080045
I've never heard a reason against perl that wasn't popularity. Popularity is not a reason to dislike perl.
>That link
He bought three books, couldn't get past the syntax flexibility and switched to python. He doesn't know shit. His arguments?
>It isn't as user friendly
>It looks funny, why use $to declare a scalar? python doesn't need that
He has no valid reasons to dislike Perl, he didn't even bother using CPAN because
>python has scientific computing libraries I read!
As if it couldn't be done in Perl.
>>
File: 1401104994737.jpg (24 KB, 326x295) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401104994737.jpg
24 KB, 326x295
>2012
>not writing all new projects in Go
>>
Because it's a watered down, slower version of Perl.

I use Ruby and I don't mind it, but only to the extent that it's a bland version of Perl.
>>
>>43080245

> 2014
> thinking it's 2012
>>
>>43080373
>being this behind the curve

dyerhn
>>
File: 1307840238900.jpg (44 KB, 409x393) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1307840238900.jpg
44 KB, 409x393
>>43080215

> I speak Latin because, funtionally, it still works.

>>43080306

> I use ruby, because perl is too exciting for anyone else to enjoy
>>
>>43080434
>angry because his favorite language is a bad copy of perl
>>
File: 1312842219980.jpg (54 KB, 350x392) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1312842219980.jpg
54 KB, 350x392
>>43080517

> get off my lawn
> things were better in my day
>>
ruby is the only language that i've seen that is both needlessly verbose AND incredibly, obsessively obtuse. writing a program in ruby performs the same function as obfuscating it.

you get so far with this language and you think 'what is the purpose'? is it fast like java? no. is it ubiquitous like php? no. is it easy to use like python? no. then what the fuck is the purpose? something for hipster web devs to masturbate over?
>>
>>43080556
What day?
Perl is still here, and it's more popular than Ruby will ever be.
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>
File: 1311283087167.jpg (14 KB, 278x350) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1311283087167.jpg
14 KB, 278x350
>>43080603

> is it easy to use like python? no

Do cry, anon. It's not that hard to learn. Just do a little bit at a time.
>>
>best programming language
There is none. No programming language is going to be the best in all cases. It is best to know a handful of languages to suit all of ones needs.

>All these Ruby versus Perl arguments
Ruby was influenced by Perl, along with Smalltalk and Lisp. Perl certainly had its advantages, but there are reasons Ruby isn't a copy of Perl. This should not be a valid expression: "25" + 12. In Ruby, that resolves to a TypeError. In Perl, it resolves to 37. Perl is too weakly typed.
>>
>>43080689
>This should not be a valid expression
Why not? Would you really benefit from making you do an explicit type conversion first?
>>
File: 1328646703862.png (183 KB, 341x454) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1328646703862.png
183 KB, 341x454
>>43080689

> Perl is too weakly typed.

I heard that.

ITP: Perl users getting told.
>>
>>43080677
programs can be complex
languages should be simple

you're clearly quite retarded, so let me use an example.

say i want to build a desk. if i were a reasonable human being, i would use a hammer and some nails. you're right, perhaps it would be harder to learn to put the desk together with a baseball bat and a harpoon. and if you're capable of doing that, more power to you. but i'm over here actually being productive and you're fucking about with a useless toy and accomplishing nothing

do you understand now?
>>
What's Ruby's best feature?
>>
>>43079219
>Perl
Ruby is actually Perl done right. I say this as someone who was a professional Perl programmer for 4 years
>>
>>43080689
>"25" + 12

Lol. Try that in Javascript.
>>
File: dis nigga.jpg (65 KB, 322x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dis nigga.jpg
65 KB, 322x360
>>43080769

> put the desk together with a baseball bat and a harpoon

So how much are they paying you to shill for python?
>>
Why bother arguing when the overarching conclusion is that dynamic typing is considered harmful
>>
>>43080774
the uninstaller
>>
>>43080780
I'm the developer of ruby and it's shit
source: I made it
>>
>>43080830
$11.13 plus an extra dollar every time i win an internet argument

also i said python was easy, i never said it was useful. you're just mad that python is stealing ruby's market share and projecting that onto me
>>
>>43080832
Not according to Uriel.
>>
File: 1272024322763.jpg (5 KB, 227x273) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1272024322763.jpg
5 KB, 227x273
>>43080858

> python is stealing ruby's market share

You are underpaid, new friend. Are you enjoying summer?
>>
>>43080885
>viral marketer
>newfriend
>u mad
>do cry anon
why do i even attempt to hold conversations on /g/ anymore, everyone just talks in stupid cliches
>>
File: 1327973361020.jpg (9 KB, 226x223) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1327973361020.jpg
9 KB, 226x223
>>43080919
>>
>>43080832

I think that dynamic typing is very useful, if you are a very good programmer, working on a problem framed by a domain that's in some way unfixed.

That's why loads of game studios add dynamically typed scripting languages to their game engines.

It's also why you'll find Javascript in the browser, SQL in your database, and BASH on a proper OS. People with well rounded programming backgrounds generally don't complain about type systems, they just work with the merits of the language they're using.
>>
>>43078826
Java is more useful and easier to use than Ruby.

funny enough, Java is faster too.

Ruby a shit
>>
>>43078826

Ok, I'm really getting tired of these "best programming languages" threads. Protip: there is no such thing. Different languages are better for different things.

Javascript is great for web dev, Java for cross platform, C++ for game dev, and C for lower level stuff. Saying one programming language is better than another is like saying a screwdriver is better than a hammer.
>>
>>43081030
But Ruby is just bad at all things, it's the worst.
>>
>>43081054

If it was bad at everything, then why was it developed in the first place? I'm sure there are edge cases where it is the best option available.
>>
>>43081016

> Java is more useful
> easier to use
> faster

[citation needed]

> Ruby a shit

unintelligible opinion discarded
>>
>>43081065
There aren't. Ruby is just bad, it's horrible. I laugh at people who learn Ruby, it's sad.
>>
File: 1337443017728.jpg (81 KB, 404x317) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1337443017728.jpg
81 KB, 404x317
>>43081083
>>
Why would anyone use Ruby when Python exists?
>>
>not using Pike
>>
File: 1307898144171.jpg (12 KB, 195x195) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1307898144171.jpg
12 KB, 195x195
>>43081201

Why don't you come back a report to us when you can output "Hello, world!" to the console, champ.
>>
>>43081228
Nice argument, bud.
>>
>>43080245
>having to set an environment variable just to compile a module
>>
>>43081201

I've been thinking that. We need a Ruby expert here to offer up a proper defense. Not some asshole who's memorized the AR and Rails API.
>>
Why can't you faggots see that OP is an anti-ruby drone who shills and b8s you into oblivion
>>
>>43081228
print("fuck you nigger")

Wow that was hard.
>>
>>43081343
Because no ruby shills have been able to defend it.
>>
>>43081357
That's because there really aren't any. Obvious shills like this one are clearly trying sway opinion by acting like asshats.

Damn, some people are too stupid
>>
>>43081355
I don't see any hello worlds :^)
>>
>>43081373
There aren't any because ruby is a shit language. Deal with it sport.
>>
File: 1307829573047.jpg (6 KB, 251x233) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1307829573047.jpg
6 KB, 251x233
>>43081307

You're just made because twitter and github both use Ruby on Rails. It's ok, I hear a lot of colleges are using python to teach beginners.
>>
>>43081396
It's funny that you automatically jump onto the assumption that I'm defending ruby. All I'm pointing out is that you've been baited really hard and you should be ashamed.

retard.
>>
File: 1311282764101.jpg (27 KB, 331x334) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1311282764101.jpg
27 KB, 331x334
>>43081393

I knew that would be an issue for him. I wish people would just lurk until they get a firm grasp on basic concepts.
>>
>this whole fucking thread.

Script kiddies arguing about which of their garbage languages is better.

Holy fuck.
>>
>>43080834
Kek
>>
>>43081400

You are clearly not the expert I'd just asked for...

Where's that 'Mount Stupid' diagram?
>>
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20111228.gif
>>
>>43081510
Teach us oh mighty lord how can we write as shit C as you, my master
>>
>>43079556
This is what I plan to do but I'm struggling with Python at the moment.

Functions within functions...pyception.
>>
File: 1308255163075.jpg (18 KB, 367x451) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1308255163075.jpg
18 KB, 367x451
>>43081510

Name on language that's better than ruby.
>>
>>43081510
>I can fizzbuzz in 3 languages! C, C++ and C#!
>>
>>43081581
Not sure if serious? The way ruby works with nil is fucking cancerous bullshit. I'd rather be writing C#, Java, hell even javascript.
>>43081551
Sadly I am currently employed to write rails applications. 8 hours a day of ruby and javascript. I'm slipping mentally. But all 3 are shit.

Fuck ruby. Fuck py. Fuck perl

Fuck php too.

Fuck web.
>>
>>43081561
>Functions within functions

Do you mean lambdas?
>>
>>43081601
Cool. I write about 1kloc a day and slowly go insane.
>>
>>43081609
>tfw will be starting on a web dev bachelors in a community college this fall
>tfw they'll be teaching PHP for the backend
should I kill myself now?
>>
>>43081609

I also write RoR apps 8 hours a day and I love it. I haven't really had many issues with nil, what exactly do you have problems with?
>>
>>43081078
java is life, java is love, java is GOD!
>>
File: Boy-Crying-636.jpg (32 KB, 400x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Boy-Crying-636.jpg
32 KB, 400x300
>>43081609

> I don't like how in ruby nil == false so the whole language is shit
>>
>>43081646
Nil communicates absolutely nothing, and I'd much rather get an exception most of the time.

Ruby a shit.

>>43081638
Just self-teach yourself. College for me was rather minimal in terms of value, but it gave me an environment where I felt encouraged to study and improve in my own time. Self study is best study.

>>43081655
nil should be falsey. Don't be a retard.
>>
>>43081609
>Fuck web.

You sound like an old grumpy man,
sounds like you're in the wrong field.
>>
>>43081670
true, I don't know why /g/ hates java so much. It's pretty good
>>
>>43081686
I'm a grumpy old woman, and the web is broken as hell.

>inb4 someone who knows very little tries to argue that the web isn't a pile of shitty hacks stacked together.
>>
>>43081694
Because /g/ couldn't get employed
>>
>>43081694
You need a fucking VM just to run a program
>>
>>43081679
Just want to point out that nil DOES NOT == false in Ruby. Nil is simply falsy in conditionals.
If you actually run
nil == false
you get false.
I like Ruby. It has one or two warts, to be sure, but it definitely achieves its main goals of programmer happiness and productivity.
>>
>>43081683
>I rather get an exception.
Are exceptions part of your main flows?
That sounds really bad.

>>43081694
Because java is becoming the next cobol and /g/ just want to be different.
>>
>>43081683
I have been programming as a hobby for 2 years now so I have done tried pretty much anything.
Windows dev, OS X dev, iOS dev, Android dev, Web dev, etc.
For web development I have used Python or Node.js on the backend. I tried to learn PHP but I really didn't like it so I have never actually built something with it.

I'm just attending a college to get a degree.
>>
>>43081683

Nil can come in quite handy in things like shallow routes.

It's not like nil.id returns 4 still, which was annoying as fuck.
>>
>>43081726
assembly here. you need a fucking os to run a fucking program
>>
>>43081616
I don't know. It's late and I'm tired.
>>
>>43081703
The web is a broken pile of hacks, on top of a bunch of design-by-committee technologies, and held together with handshakes and duct tape. That said, it's not going anywhere any time soon, and most changes will only be incremental.

But in terms of making the web manageable in my daily life, Ruby has helped me far more than it has hurt.
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 206x245) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 206x245
>>43081683

> I'd much rather get an exception most of the time

It doesn't hold my hand when I use 'nil' in my program.
>>
programming Ruby pays my bills
>>
>>43081752
>Claims to write assembly code
>Doesn't know the difference between kernel and OS

fuckoff.jpg
>>
>>43081735
>java is becoming the next cobol
How horrifying

>>43081752
Yes, and everyone who wants to run a program already has one of those.

Regular program
>have OS
>run program

Java program
>have OS
>still have to fire up VM
>run program in the VM within the OS instead of just running it in the fucking OS
If you can't see the problem with this then you have issues.
>>
>>43081779
you seem rustled. good. my job here is done
>>
>>43081779
The kernel is the one common aspect that the many definitions of "Operating System" actually agree on.
>>
>>43081735
They aren't, because ruby has pisspoor exception handling..

But god damn, I'd rather get an exception when trying to access a nonexistant key-value-pair from a hash.

fucking nil.

Is the value nil? Does the key not exist?

>>43081774
Stop being a retard. Nil communicates nothing about the data. You either know this, or are just being a shitposter/retard.
>>
>>43081777
>programming Ruby pays my bills
Me too. I live in a flyover state but I can do remote freelancing for companies out on the west coast. They pay me a Silicon Valley rate but I have mid-sized town cost of living. Feels pretty good, like an 8/10.
>>
>>43081822
>Is the value nil? Does the key not exist?
>"He doesn't use Hash#fetch!"
>laughingrubyists.jpg
Come back when you actually know the language's standard libs.
>>
>>43081850
Calm down buddy.

I'm saying its spec/design is bad, not that I struggle with it.

It's shut, but I can very easily deal with shit that's as babbytier as ruby,
>>
>>43081822
You can use Hash#has_key?
Its just a different way of achieving the same thing.
Dont imply its not possible.
>>
It replaced perl for me when it comes to system administration, quick scripts, and attack scripting.

I think it is a great replacement for perl.
>>
>>43081885
>missing the point

It's very very very easy to adapt to the bad design. It doesn't make the design not bad... And don't tell me you don't inherit shit code that doesn't deal with it properly from other people.
>>
>>43080721

Type safety. It's an illogical expression.

>>43080796

Is Javascript by any means an example of a good programming language?
>>
>>43081935
Doesn't seem illogical to me. Maybe you can't handle the freedom it gives you?
>>
>>43081935
Javascript's behaviour with that example is actually far better than perl's.

And that's just fucking shameful.
>>
>>43081911
For a moment there I thought your point was objective, clearly it isn't and all boils down to the same old statically typed language vs non-static shit.

I think Ruby has a great design and C#/Java may be good for some people but not me, I think its boring and inefficient.

I've never worked in a large company (25 devs max) but for me Ruby isn't any different in terms of teamwork once you establish some rules.
>>
>>43081970
Legacy ruby is hell.
>>
>>43078826
That's a funny way to spell python
>>
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
>>
>>43082051

> python

That's a cute little niche language you have there, anon.
>>
>>43080215
The reason Python became popular recently (comparatively, python is an OLD language), is because all the people who were in love with Perl discovered Perl's hidden feature of being one of the few write-only programming languages.
>>
>>43081694
>>43081707
Actually, not learning Java or only learning it just enough to get a job while not having it as your specialty may actually save your job. India has millions of Java programmers with fake degrees or who have a real one from a university where cheating is rampant. If your primary language is Java, I would guess you are more likely to be outsourced or immigrant-sourced.

Don't go for a language just because it is obscure, but go for ones that have some kind of niche. If you don't mind working with an ancient one, many US government agencies, banks and hospitals still have programs written in Fortran and Cobol, and they tend to be programs that aren't going away any time soon, but still need maintenance. Look at job listings and see what languages employers want and learn a few of the ones that aren't Java.
>>
>>43083976
1992 isn't old for a language.
Even 1987, which is Perl's birth year, isn't that old (although it is pre-ANSI C).

Python's popularity can be attributed to two major changes. The first is the fact that computers have only been able to run Python in semi-acceptably real-time for the past decade or so. The second is that networking and rendering became the limiting factor in mass media consumption, not actual implementation inefficiency.

Neither of those are bad things, but the Python community shouldn't kid itself into thinking that it won over Perl.
>>
>>43081703
I do webdev in Perl and I agree. Web == worst fucking shit in the whole IT
>>
Feel free to ask an actual Ruby programmer anything.
>>
>>43085978

What kind of programming do you use Ruby for and why is it better than python?
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 26
Thread DB ID: 5061



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.