[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ I been thinking... Everyone has a shitload of devices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

File: WallWart.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
WallWart.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
Hey /diy/ I been thinking...
Everyone has a shitload of devices that use wall warts. Voltages generally vary from 5VDC(USB) to 18-19VDC(laptop). All of them have to convert from ~120VAC to low VDC. Most of the cost of these are reduction, rectifying, and filtering
USB is starting to become a standard, you can even get outlets with 5VDC, but it doesn't cover the problem.

------What if there were a 20VDC, low ripple standard???------
-It would power laptops with minimal circuitry.
-It would require less of bulky wall warts, possibly even eliminating them.
-It's much easier (and cheaper) to convert from 20VDC to USB 5VDC than from 120VAC
-low ripple 20VDC would require less filtering for 5-9-12-18 VDC requirements.

Downsides are:
-You'd have to buy a supply for your house, and extra wiring (some are wiring their houses for 5VDC(USB))
-Manufacturer support currently non-existent

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient in the long run?
Now, nobody has it, and it would be expensive to implement, but what about new houses?

Right now, I have a wall-wart for:
2 phones
2 tablets
Rechargeable trimmer
3 laptops
Bluetooth-to-stereo
printer
video switchbox
modem
wireless router
battery charger
2 e-cigs
jambox (small portable stereo for you youngfags)

I'm sure I missed some...
But, even at $3 each, that's $51, and that's a low estimate. House wiring lasts (for all practical purposes) forever but we get new devices every 5 years or less.
Cheap China laptop chargers are $10, good ones $60 or more
You can't replace a wal-wart for less than $5-$10.
Why not one LOW RIPPLE supply instead?

How do we make this happen?
>>
>>931707
>How do we make this happen?
We dont.
You are just making a larger problem than there currently is, which really is a nonproblem in the first place.
>>
The problem is getting it where it's needed. You still need 120v AC outlets for appliances, lighting and devices, and in many cases even two outlets is not enough, so you cannot sacrifice one or both outlets for 20v DC.

It's not worth the expense, incompatibility or inconvenience just to prevent use of wall-warts.
>>
File: standards.png (39KB, 404x229px) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
39KB, 404x229px
>>931707
>>
>>931715
I get that, but compared to an outlet with USB?
Not saying replace 120VAC with 20VDC, just replace USB implementation with 20VDC, before 5VDC ports gain popularity.
>>
Sounds like a good idea to me OP, building a home at the end of the year, I'm planning wallplates with PoE cat6 and powered USB ports (@1.5A) to all rooms for just this reason. I was also going to send 24VDC @ 2A to banana sockets for later breakdown, but my family are not giant fucking geeks like me and none would use them. I'm still shooting them all through the garage though.

Only problem here is convincing manufacturers to discontinue one of their strongest post-sale revenue makers, chargers and accessories. Granted only the plebbiest of plebs would go to the manufacturer for a powerbrick instead of the aftermarket, but there are way morenplebs than geeks out there, it will be a hard sell.

>>931711
> You are just making a larger problem than there currently is
Explain. Removal of thousands of unneeded bits of kit from landfill and the savings/redirections of the raw materials used to make them sounds like a good idea to me.

> which really is a nonproblem in the first place.
Explain, because all of the above.

> TL;DR, if you're going to be an argumentative faggot, make your points immediately or you just come off like a 13 year old who has no concept of how the world works.
>>
> a nonproblem in the first place

on or near my desk are
2 house phones
1 walkie-talkie
1 LCD monitor
1 NTSC camera
1 video multiplexor
2 external HDDs
1 modem
1 router
1 handheld vacuum
1 USB hub
1 LED lamp
1 ipod charger

12 chargers on 4 power bars is not a non-problem?
>>
>>931719
>competing standards
There isn't. Some outlets come with USB ports, I'd hardly call that a standard.
20VDC would be more practical and be a better "multi-purpose" standard.
>>
>>931707
>>931711
>>931719
Actually, lots of new housing has 12VDC wiring for LEDs now. The PSU is at the breaker and all the lighting wiring goes from it to the rest of the house.
>>
> lots of new housing has 12VDC

me and the GF have been looking at new condos in the last 6 months, and haven't seen that anywhere.
>>
> 20VDC would be more practical and be a better "multi-purpose" standard.

there's a huge existing industry in electrical car parts, so 12V would make much more sense.
>>
>>931724
>>931726
There are 15 competing stabdards.
>>
>>931732
Are you in Europe?
>>
> Are you in Europe?

big city in N. America
>>
>>931738
Odd, they are all the rage here. There's even building code for them. Lots of people retrofit the house for 12v, but all new construction has it.
>>
Low voltage dc does not go efficiently through long wires, meaning you'd need oversized wires and copper isn't cheap. Also the long runs would give voltage drop so your "low ripple standard" goes out the window.
>>931732
You probably don't live in California or somewhere similarly infested with hippie treehugging faggots.
>>
>>931732
do you know what it looks like if you saw it? because it is everywhere now
>>
>>931726
Didn't know that. 12VDC covers just about everything but laptops.
Most everyone a laptop, and one wonders how much of the cost of it is tied up in the power supply when it costs $50-$90, and even higher, to replace?

If we had a LOW RIPPLE, quality, universal supply, it would reduce the cost of errthing that isn't ~120VAC.

>>931734
What are they? links? genuinely curious.

>>931741
Thank you for the intelligent input.
>voltage drop
I don't think it would be a problem when the max useage would be 18V
>"low ripple standard"
Yea over long runs it would be a problem, but even 18VDC laptop supply has some ripple(and noise). I wonder how minimal filtering over a long wiring run would compare with a laptop supply ripple? Any idea?
>>
>do you know what it looks like if you saw it?

if it was there, it would be mentioned in the literature. they throw in as much hype as they can.
>>
File: PR12V16A-16P-2.jpg (180KB, 1143x643px) Image search: [Google]
PR12V16A-16P-2.jpg
180KB, 1143x643px
I think most of my wall warts use 12 volt. I also added a lot of 12 volt led lights to my house in renos but I'm not about to wire 12 volt dc everywhere because
a) you can't get very many watts from each run
b) a central transformer would have to be huge / expensive
c) by the time the dc gets across my house you lose a lot of watts
>>
> a central transformer would have to be huge / expensive

a computer power supply can supply like 30A and 12V for $40. easy to replace too.
>>
>>931749
>a) you can't get very many watts from each run
That depends on the wire size and current draw
b) a central transformer would have to be huge / expensive
Yea, that would be the main drawback. If you replace your devices every few years though, an investment in a good DC power source makes sense in in long run, IF THE MANUFACTURERS SUPPORTED IT.
c) by the time the dc gets across my house you lose a lot of watts
Again, depends on the wire size and current draw. LED lights, not a problem
>>
>>931752
> easy to replace too.
compared to a walwart it's a hellish and expensive nightmare to replace.
>>
> compared to a walwart it's a hellish and expensive nightmare to replace.

absolutely, undoing 4 Philips screws and pulling 2 connectors apart can take hours.
>>
Its Edison vs Tesla, or DC vs AC, again. Edison lost because transmission of DC is problematic - take your 18v laptop supply and double the length of the trafo/laptop wire - measure what that voltage has dropped to already, and multiply problem by house-length-size runs.

Edison also lost, because Mrs Edison wanted to plug in her hoover. Try that on DC. You either have dual standard wiring install, or you have an even worse problem with DC-AC transformers.

Only scenario it does make sense, if you had a solar install or whatever and want to switch entirely to DC; otherwise, learn to love your wallwarts, and thank God and Yurope somebody least legislated USB chargers a standard for phones, etc.
>>
>>931755
yea
>>931758
He's right though. Screws and connectors are easy, if you're /diy/, most aren't. Anyone can replace a wall-wart, but some would require an electrician. I wonder what that would cost?
anon has a valid downside. Still, I don't think it's enough to make this not worthwhile, for the many, overall, cost and convenience wise.
>>
>>931754
>it depends
Yes it does.

Something extremely.modest like a 500watt pc or a small kettle couldn't even run on the rather thick and generous 20amp wire you have in your house already if you converted it to 20v

Wall warts are almost inconsequential. You still need to pay for a wore and connector for whatever youre making. The 1c more for an ac power supply vs a dc one that still needs to step down/step up to appropriate voltage.. Vs a billion extra dollars for 40 amp words through our houses so we can still run our kettles or the cost of keeping yet another type of wire connector and plug stocked in our trucks?

Fuuuck you. fuuuuuuck you
. You don't know shit. Thank fucking god your retarded idea won't get anywhere.
>>
>>931770
>>931755
So build them into hotswap cages like a server PSU. Have a latched, pop out handle that unlocks the PSU from the cage and allows the whole thing to be pulled out. Microswitch located appropriately drops AC supply to the PSU when the user pops the handle and you're ready to swap. This should be no more difficult to your average homeowner than replacing a toner cartridge. Simpler in face, open dizzy box, fold out handle, pull PSU box, insert new PSU box, fold in handle, close box.

I would also include a status panel which shows if a given room is pulling enough current to trigger the overload protect on the PSU. Save you chasing ghosts like you would if lights and power were all on the same breaker as in a standard 240/110v setup.
>>
>>931773
>kettels
Wut? I was talking about a convenience of replacing needed DC supplies with an extra port (outlet), not supplying high power to existing high power AC devices.
You're from the land down under huh? I don't think it's 120VAC there anyway.
>>
>>931774
Great fucking idea. Head to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a new module, with options, depending on your current(load) requirements.

The biggest problem would be getting people to buy it for the greater good. If it became common, manufacturers would support it for the lower product cost
>>
>>931755
I dont know about that.. have you ever really tried to replace a wallwart by locating one with the same voltage/connector with enough current?
impossible combonation without buying one of those "universal" ones that always break.
but still the idea is retarded, usb doesnt even belong on an outlet.
>>
>>931776

ignore the dudes making up shit to suit their argument. another great reason to have 12Vdc in the house is that a lot of equipment like monitors, TVs, DVD players, etc, use switching power supplies, which are probably responsible for half of all equipment failures, when the caps go bad or the FETs burn out. and it often costs as much to replace the power supply board as to get a new unit, so you get a lot of dead TVs on the street. so, 12V is also good for environmental reasons.
>>
>>931780
>tried to replace a wallwart by locating one with the same voltage/connector with enough current?
True that. Finding a common replacement can be difficult, even at goodwill where they have a bunch of them.
>usb doesnt even belong on an outlet.
This thread isn't about USB. It's about replacing it before it becomes the standard.
>idea is retarded
how many wal-warts you got?
>>
>>931784
>costs as much to replace the power supply board as to get a new unit
Agreed
OP's point is that 20VDC would be cheap to regulate down to 12VDC and would charge laptops also.(and those chargers are expensive)
>>
>>931791
>This thread isn't about USB. It's about replacing it before it becomes the standard.

ITT - we remove superflous wallwarts by demanding replcement of the single existing generally-accepted fucking standard for powering DC devices.
>>
File: 1385469443.jpg (20KB, 259x191px) Image search: [Google]
1385469443.jpg
20KB, 259x191px
>>931799
ITT, fucklords who don't have the comprehension skills to release we are talking about using an existing and prolific standard (USB) to deliver up to 20VDC depending on the scenario
>>
>>931801
>sure if trll nao.
>>
>>931799

5V is too low for many items. however a 12V-to-5V regulator can be easily incorporated inside devices or in separate housings. you'd essentially take the circuit board from a car charger, which is really tiny, and use it inside a tiny case.
>>
>>931733
Which is funny cause more and more people are calling for cars to be updated to 24VDC to make it easier to power all the electronic shit in them these days. The military has been on 24VDC for ages in many of its vehicles.

>>931745
DC used to be 'the' way you got electricity. It was Edison's standard. Huge fucking pain in the ass to transmit long distances. AC won for a reason. Even runs in a decent sized home would have problems so you might need multiple AC/DC converters spread throughout the house. You'd also have to double the number of outlets 'cause they need to be just as common as AC outlets to be useful. You've just increased your wiring cost by 50% at least on top of the converter.

A better solution would be to have a base station you could just plug all your DC shit into. Like a UPS or something. Just a big brick that does all the conversion and saves energy. You only have 1 or 2 rooms in your house that need all this shit anyway.
>>
>>931801
ITT - we autoanonmously rewrite USB spec to 20v. Because. Scenarios, an that, y'see.
>>
>>931791
>This thread isn't about USB. It's about replacing it before it becomes the standard.

usb already is the standard, though I do think for as many devices charge off of it we do need to use something beefier than 5v.. 5v batteries are getting old fast, especially with companies jewing and using 3.x V batteries and stepping it up to 5v.
also I don't think people are wiring their house for 5v, I think its just an outlet that has a built in 120v - 5v transformer. but what gets me is all the times I have some huge power adapter that blocks 2-3 other outlets, the usb outlets I've seen also would get blocked.

>how many wal-warts you got?
I have a fair collection, including a whole bag I got from radioshack when it closed.
I left the shitty ones, the ones I grabbed all supply >2amps. the manager even took the liberty to cut the ends off.. guess he was mad bro, but jokes on him because I was going to cut the ends off myself.
I fucking hate batteries, so my plans are pretty straight forward.. If it doesn't need to be moved and it runs off of batteries, it wont use batteries when I'm done.

so its fair to say my wallwart collection is not relevant.
also for the sake of conversation my default goto is laboratory dc power supply or bench top power supply.. whatever you want to call it.
I'm always clamping it to battery terminals of remotes and stuff.
>>
> You've just increased your wiring cost by 50% at least on top of the converter.

wiring is a one-time cost, which will last 50 years or whatever. the savings in longer-lasting equipment, and fewer chargers makes that cost insignificant. one single laptop charger can for pay for most of that copper.
>>
>>931808
no, to USB specs...
but a household spec that would be much easier/cheaper to convert to 5VDC(USB) and also power many devices easier/cheaper, up to laptops(18-19VDC)
>>
>>931816
converting voltage twice is a hell of a lot more inefficient than simply stepping 120 down to 5v, and 120 down to 20v independently.
ontop of that youll get those fucks in china simply burning off the extra 15 volts as heat in 85% of any adapter that we import.
>>
> ontop of that youll get those fucks in china simply burning off the extra 15 volts as heat in 85% of any adapter that we import.

nonsense, switching regulators with 90% efficiency cost less than a dime in quantity.
>>
>>931826
How much are linear regulators in quantity?
>>
>>931823
>youll get those fucks in china simply burning off the extra 15 volts as heat in 85% of any adapter that we import.
Kek. But it would be less heat than a 120 to 5 conversion, eh? Provided of course you got your 20VDC from a reputable supplier.
>>
>>931831
>reputable supplier
its ok, I wish it was the 1950's too :(
>>
> How much are linear regulators in quantity?

do they even make those anymore? not likely as they start to smoke unless there's a hefty heat-sink as well.
>>
>>931834
I'm pretty sure they do, LM78xx''s all over the place
>>
File: honor.png (39KB, 443x441px) Image search: [Google]
honor.png
39KB, 443x441px
>>931833
When it comes to household electrical stuff...
Well fuck, your right
You can use a reputable supplier that has to take the heat, and knows the brands though.

>I wish it was the 1950's too :(
Makes me sad too. I wasn't around in the '50's, but I remember when Honor was a thing. Ironically spell check didn't know what "honor" was, though it got "Ironically"
>>
>>931815
>one single laptop charger can for pay for most of that copper.

Wiring costs are more than just the wires mate. Its people to run it and inspect it too. You will need a different set of wires and outlets for this stuff which means you will have to double the wire runs in your home. Wire is cheap, labor is expensive. Last I checked laptop charges don't cost $4k-$7k, which is about half the cost to wire a house, depending on where you live and the size. How long is it gonna take you to pay back four grand (again, not including the cost of the converter, which most likely wont last 50 years) when most wallwarts are under $20 and electricity costs about 12 cents per kilowatt-hour?
>>
>>931848
Try honour, maybe it'll accept that.
>>
>>931848
That's because the rest of the world spells it "honour" you silly burgerclap.

> inb4 linguistic rage over who's right.

You fuckers call solder "sodder", but somehow manage to say "cup holder" without sounding like you have 7 dicks up your nose. Your argument is forever invalid.
>>
>>931848
I missed out on the glory days too,
also when you said supplier I was thinking manufacturer.. Either way everyone does stuff dirty now and its a shame.
>>
>>931853
coming from the cunt that says "ah-loo-min-eeeeee-umm"
>>
File: honor1.png (43KB, 642x513px) Image search: [Google]
honor1.png
43KB, 642x513px
>>931851
UK thing?
>>931853
Rest of the world? Ah, OK.
>>
>>931856
Youll have to ignore him, he thinks their little backwater of an island actually matters to anyone besides themselves.
>>
File: A13EDE006F.jpg (60KB, 470x685px) Image search: [Google]
A13EDE006F.jpg
60KB, 470x685px
>>931855
Oh yeah, that pinheaded fucktardery is one of my favourites as well. MagnesIUM, palladIUM, potassIUM, cesIUM, sodIUM, calcIUM, uranIUM. But hey, fuck standards! Lets arbitrarily modify a word because America! Now fucking commit to your bullshit and call the elements urnaum, potassum etc, otherwise shut the fuck up and stop defending the arbitrarity of your language rules. I know America likes to think it's the king of the world, but when a good amount of your citizenry cannot point out Iraq or Afghanistan on a map (ya know, the places they are sending their own sons and daughters to die) , you prolly need to reevaluate your educational targets and what you defend as "correct".

I digress.

>>931854
>>931855
>>931856
See
>>931853
> You fuckers call solder "sodder", but somehow manage to say "cup holder" without sounding like you have 7 dicks up your nose. Your argument is forever invalid.

Once again, no one can address this. Good night gentlemen, it's been a blast, even if it was a predictable one.
>>
>>931858
>>931865
>offended
>>>/pol/
>>
>>931868
Oh I'm not offended bud, I'm laughing my tits off at morons who defend shit blindly but cannot articulate what they are defending or why. Project away anon.
>>
>>931865
>Iraq or Afghanistan on a map (ya know, the places they are sending their own sons and daughters to die
meanwhile youre country imports the ragheads by the boat load.. hows sharia working out for you?

why dont you say "iroan" or "hydroooooogium"?
>>
>>931871
>>931874
Well finish this tomorrow island monkey
>>
This all just sounds like a big problem.
>>
I love the fact that some are asking for a standard for something as useful as electricity but need to argue about a few letters and completely irrelevant pronunciation. Good luck on your standards anons!
>>
>>931865
I like how twats like this will argue over aluminum/inium because "muh lack of precedent" while apparently having no problem with lanthanum, tantalum, and platinum.
>>
>>931850

you're exaggerating on cost. $4K-$7K is what it costs to completely rewire the 120V in an 800 sq-ft house. but if it's a new build, then pulling 2 cables instead of 1 adds very little to cost.

similarly, for old homes, running low-voltage wiring is not too expensive coz you dont have to destroy the walls, you can just run it along the baseboards like telephone or cable TV wire. last time i had it done, the tech ran 50 feet of RG-6 cable wire, which took 1 hour, and was free (installation included with the package).
>>
File: 20ff5d0e1d22_128.png (45KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
20ff5d0e1d22_128.png
45KB, 128x128px
>>931893
> 3 of the 4 exceptions to this rule somehow makes the other 84 examples of elements ending in "ium" invalid.
> I didn't even bother to look up why those 4 out of the 88 use "um" instead of "ium"

"-ium" is a Latin (like a majority of our language) suffix used to modify nouns, loosely meaning "of or related to". As a suffix in chemistry it means "of the element x", where x might be Uraninite as in uranium, potash as in potassium, and, you guessed it, alum as in aluminium. I'll let you do your own research on why the other 4 are spelled differently.

This is absolutely no different outside of chemistry either. Auditorium (of or related to audio performances), gymnasium (of or related to gymnastic activities) or an emporium (of or related to trade activities). Sure the literal meanings are different, but the word itself is constructed this way for a reason. Because Latin origins. This does not change, and these words would sound equally retarded without the "i" as aluminium does.

Ignorance of word roots and arbitrary shit like dropping a letter or out and out mispronouncing a word despite having the linguistic precedents you so desperately need does not make you right. It just makes the rest of the English speaking world that understands the origins of the language laugh at you. Colder, holder, older, folder, bolder and then, right out of left field like a cock to the face.. sodder instead of "solder".. Really America? I guess kids gotta rebel though and I should not discount the need for America to set itself apart from the country that birthed both it and it's language. Just fuck off with this "we are correct and fuck you" bullshit. There is a reason the differentiation "American English and English" is made as opposed to "British English and English".

>>931874
>>931876
> island monkey, lol britbong etc
I'm a Norwegian working in Australia. I guess you got the island bit right, just for the wrong reasons.
>>
File: tumblr_mxcuwqjFls1spf7z6o1_500.gif (611KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxcuwqjFls1spf7z6o1_500.gif
611KB, 500x281px
>>931906
good choice of waifu
>>
>>931903
This isn't a low voltage doorbell wire we're talking about here. These things are going to be drawing several amps at least. Maybe several dozen amps. There is no way running the wire, which will have to be thick as fuck, along the baseboard would be safe, sensible or pass code. It will have to go into the wall.
>>
For everyone getting pissy over 12VDC wiring voltage drops. LED wiring doesn't use high amps normally. Each wire going to a light normally never sees over 100 watts (7.22amps at 13.85vdc). A 50 foot wire with that load would only see 0.5vdc drop in a 12AWG line and only 0.36vdc drop in a 10AWG line. Which is perfectly acceptable.

You should check out this voltage drop calculator:

http://www.bulkwire.com/wireresistance.asp

Just plugin the wire length and max amps and it will give you all the stats you need and show the preferred AWG wire thickness you should use. For lighting, you normally don't need to change your wiring in your home when retro-fitting to 12VDC. However, for higher watt using devices like a fridge, gaming computer or whatever you have to use a far thicker AWG wire. Like if I tried using a 12vdc system for my gaming PC (600watt) I'd need an 8AWG wire to reach the 15 feet from my PC to the 12vdc PSU. I'd need to be 4AWG if the distance was 50 feet.

But, yeah, for lighting LEDs via a 12vdc PSU, normal 12AWG that already exists is just fine.

You can also use the above calculator for other voltages. The difference between 12vdc and 20vdc in AWG is usually 2. So instead of 8AWG you'd need 10AWG for the same 600watt over 15 feet. Or, 24 AWG using 1000vdc

I think having lower voltages for low watt uses is quite fine. It can eliminate a great many wall adapters. Something as simple as having 12VDC, 24VDC, 32VDC outlets that allow 5amps (60watts, 120watts, 160watts respectively) would work fine on 12AWG, 14AWG, 16AWG respectively across a 50-69 feet length. That is something houses already have. I have an entire large tote full of old AC/DC wall adapters and none of them go over 3amps. That's for a host of devices including printers which seem to require the highest amount of power.

Can you imagine the number of wall adapters that would no longer needed to be manufactured for this type of system? That's a tremendous amount of resources no longer needed
>>
File: usb3 power delivery.png (95KB, 922x690px) Image search: [Google]
usb3 power delivery.png
95KB, 922x690px
>>931707
>------What if there were a 20VDC, low ripple standard???------
>-It would power laptops with minimal circuitry.
>-It would require less of bulky wall warts, possibly even eliminating them.
>-It's much easier (and cheaper) to convert from 20VDC to USB 5VDC than from 120VAC
>-low ripple 20VDC would require less filtering for 5-9-12-18 VDC requirements.

Your radical ideas about USB Power Delivery have already occurred to others.

This is how the new MacBook charger already works.
>>
>>931906
Fucking. Rekt. Delicious new pasta saved for future use.
>>
>>931707
Regardless, there will still be some kind of buck converter and voltage regulation between the 20vdc and the device that's being charged. If the manufacturer is already putting that outside the device by using a Wall wart what would inspire them now to put it inside the device? It's cheaper and easier to design the product with that outside, less parts inside the device and if it fails the device isn't completely useless without a replacement or costly repair.

As far as the issue of dc voltage drop with long wire, why not convert down to 20vac and then use a bridge rectifier at the outlet. I'm not an electronics guy so I dunno lol
>>
>>931906
It doesn't matter if you know the correct pronunciation of a word if no one outside your local accent can understand what the fuck you're saying.
>>
>>931906
>my name's John, and I hate every single one of you
>>
>>931906
>There is a reason the differentiation "American English and English" is made as opposed to "British English and English".

Except that the whole world does refer to them as American English and British English.

As for the Aluminum vs. Aluminium, you have to go with history. A Brit decided to call it Aluminum, so that is it's name. The right to name the element falls to the discoverer. So in this case, England has it wrong.

As for the sake of renaming it for uniformity, that is also stupid. Since as has been pointed out, the Latin terms for metals were in -um. (aurum, argentum, ferrum, stannum, plumbum, ect). So naming atomic metals -um is contextually correct. As is seen with aluminum, molybdenum, tantalum, platinum, and lanthanum.

As for solder, who the fuck knows why Americans pronounce it like retards. They also butcher sauna.

I think the the UK and USA need to get over their arguing over who's almost identical version of the same language is worse, and just come to realize it's just a shit language as a whole.
>>
>>931906
>"-ium" is a Latin (like a majority of our language) suffix

Oh, and your language is Germanic, not Romantic. So, yeah.
>>
>>931721
Your question was already answered here.
>>931719

Edison would suck your dick though.

He fought with Westinghouse over AC vs DC

AC won, and will until the end of time.

Or at least until every home is equipped with a Thorium reactor.

Do you have any idea how long the Thorium idea has been trying to get a foot hold?
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 738x492px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 738x492px
>>932150
>Your question was already answered here.
No it wasn't, it was answered here: >>932078 .

OP is literally reinventing USB-C.

You can, right now, go and buy OP's idea in a store.
>>
>>932182
>USB-C

Isn't that just the reversible plug type?
>>
>>932191
The reversible plug type that delivers up to 100w at 20v in either direction, yes.

With the same wire you can connect:

A laptop to a charger (charger powers laptop)
A laptop to a TV (TV powers laptop, laptop drives TV with HDMI)
A laptop to an external HDD (laptop powers HDD)

OP could replace all his wall-warts with one USB-C hub.
>>
>>932192
Neat.
>>
>>931768
>Edison also lost, because Mrs Edison wanted to plug in her hoover. Try that on DC.
Huh? DC electric motors are older than AC motors. Tesla invented, or at least made popular, the first practical AC motor. There are also motors which can use both DC and AC. They were common in era where it wasn't unusual that one part of the town used DC and another AC.
>>
>people still fighting over AC/DC

Use AC for long distance energy transfer (anything over 100 feet) and DC for short distance energy transfer (anything under 100 feet.) Use one or the other for specific machines when needed.
>>
>>932192
How can anyone call usb a standard when there are about 100 different versions?
Might as well have said lets make a new standard: All of the other standards combined into one and you pick which one suits you.

Oh and fucking 2 bytes for VID? Talk about short sighted! How is that going? 5000$ now? Greedy Jew cunts.
>>
>>932305
>100 different versions
What. Maybe take a 0 off, and most are compatible with each other. Micro b is the current standard for handheld devices. There are only 3 blatant incompatibilities I know, but a small adapter will fix that.

Also, computers, cars, printers, tv's, projectors, radio's, toys, gps units, blu Ray players, alarm clocks, and tons of others devices now have usb ports.
>>
>>931722
A lot of that is hoarder tier shit.
The monitor, router, and modem are all non problems.
>>
>>931906
Holy shit kill yourself
>>
>>931707
1. Why did 20vdc become standard for laptops? It's even worse to upconvert 12vdc car current to 20v. I can't imagine the inefficiency of what lots of us do, an inverter to 120vac, then back down to 20vdc.
2. 5vdc is another unnecessary voltage. If we narrowed everything down to 120vac and 12vdc, life could be much simpler.
>>
>>932457
Because 12v isn't enough.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I don't need a power lead the width of a garden hose.
>>
>>932305
>Oh and fucking 2 bytes for VID? Talk about short sighted!
It's the same size as the PCI namespace. Seems to be going just fine.
>>
>>932462
Right because a usb peripheral and a PCI card are the same, I'm sure there are the same number of hobbyists and small businesses clamouring to make a pci card! Do PCISIG even give a fuck about reselling? When the spec alone costs more than a usb vid block.
Usb used to be$2000 for a block, are they jacking the price because they are running out?
Really though the vid space is too small and the pid space realistically is too big.
It's just assholeism that stops them selling individual device ids.
>>
>>932378
>handful of common electronics
>hoarder tier shit.

Angry your mom didn't get you that xbox you wanted?
>>
File: coincidence.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
coincidence.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>932513
>usb.org sent cease and desist orders to all other PID vendors.
>no one but usb.org issues them now
>$5k for buying a VID
>$2k fee for selling it to someone else
>$3.5k licensing fee
>check usb.org BoD and Corp Office employees
>most have Hebrew and Yiddish last names

Oy vey
>>
>>932135
Largely influenced by old french. It's mostly the monosyllabic simple words that are germanic.
>>
>>931707
>------What if there were a 20VDC, low ripple standard???------
For what, transmission electricity?
>Downsides are:
>>You need 15 power sub/stations for every quarter mile

Or did you mean convert the HOUSE'S power supply (like at the circuit breakers)?

Easy:
>Downsides are:
>>Most non-computerized devices run on AC current
>>DC current is like 9,001 times more deadly than AC current, even at low voltages.

On the other hand, OP, you actually gave me a pretty good idea I need to flesh out more, now, you know... as an inventor and shit.
Maybe I can solve your problem within a year. Keep an eye on your TV ads ;-P

However, even that has a small problem... one which has varying difficulty levels for fixing to make any of this even a POSSIBLE reality...
>>
>>931744
Apprenticed as an electrician for 8 months last year. Did nothing but new housing.

Only thing we did with low voltage was for a semi custom who wanted special wall niches with puck lights.

To say it's common is like saying that electric cars are common. It exists, but not as common as people would like you to believe.
>>
>>933945
>>DC current is like 9,001 times more deadly than AC current, even at low voltages
Wat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp97GjuULX8
Though both AC and DC currents and shock are lethal, more DC current is required to have the same effect as AC current. For example, if you are being electrocuted or shocked 0.5 to 1.5 milliamps of AC 60 Hz current is required and up to 4 mA of DC current is required. For the let-go threshold in AC a current of 3 to 22 mA is required against 15 to 88 of DC current.
Either AC or DC currents can cause fibrillation of the heart at high enough levels. This typically takes place at 30 mA of AC (rms, 60 Hz) or 300 – 500 mA of DC.
http://www.brighthubengineering.com/power-plants/89792-ac-and-dc-shock-comparison/

I don't even.
Anon. shut up. No one cares about your 'engineering'

And has already been pointed out, >>932078
USB-C already covers all of these power needs.

Transmitting 5-20v from your panel to an outlet to run a modest load, like a laptop or battery charger is retarded and way too many amps for any reasonable gauge of wire. No one is running fucking 4 gauge wires to charge a battery when they could just put a wall wart into the wall, or if they are really fancy they could get one of those outlets that have the usb in them.
>>
>>933949
Dude... they stopped using AC current for electric chairs, because people kept coming back to life. I didn't say it doesn't HURT more. I said it's less DEADLY.

Besides, I did that thing he said lick a 9V some years ago. It hurts like a bastard.

On the other hand, I've accidentally plugged myself into walls before, and it was... "shocking" (startling), but it actually felt good.
That mistake was probably why I developed a shock fetish... and why people don't let me use their electric joke pens. I would burn out the batteries, running them over metal objects and through myself (admittedly, not AC, but reference either way).

AC current causes the heart to stop and start back up, BECAUSE it alternates. If it did NOT alternate, it would stop it very quick.
>>
>>933949

AC makes your muscles expand and let go, DC makes your muscles contract so you can't let go.

>>931707

Why don't you just stop using cheap, tacky consumer based garbage that use wall warts? Most of that plastic garbage shits it's self way before it's power supply. Wire in more outlets if you don't like power bars or just get a beefy multi port USB hub/charger.

New houses around here are advertised with low voltage solar lighting so it is a thing, just a bit new still. I've also heard that new houses are starting to use "ethernet lightswitches" that switch the lights at the breaker panel over the internet. I still don't see the weird ass power supply system you made up working anytime soon.
>>
>>933959
>>933952
For the let-go threshold in AC a current of 3 to 22 mA is required against 15 to 88 of DC current.
Either AC or DC currents can cause fibrillation of the heart at high enough levels. This typically takes place at 30 mA of AC (rms, 60 Hz) or 300 – 500 mA of DC.
It's like you're both too stupid to read. I guess that's why you both have dangerous ideas about how electricity works!
>>
>>931719
beat me to it!
>>
>>931707
Late to the party but anyway....

Do keep in mind when dealing with wall warts--they come in ALL different variations.

AC and DC outputs, any voltage, different plugs and different plug polarity wiring, regulated and unregulated outputs. Some are labeled with what electronic item they are meant for, but many are not.

The only thing 'common' among them I've seen is that they usually are 1 amp or less.

Twice in my life I've blown something by plugging the wrong wall wart into it.
Now I put tape on all my wall warts near the cable end, saying what electronic item they are supposed to go with.
>>
>>931745
>There are 15 competing stabdards.

https://xkcd.com/927/
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.