[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iron Fist star Jessica Henwick addresses whitewashing controversy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 512
Thread images: 40

File: it was hard.jpg (258KB, 1480x874px) Image search: [Google]
it was hard.jpg
258KB, 1480x874px
http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/26/iron-fist-jessica-henwick-whitewashing/

>“It was a hard decision to make to join the show. Not because of the material or anything,” Henwick tells Shirley Li during an appearance on Entertainment Weekly: The Show. “But I’m part of the Asian community. I’m Asian. I’m an actor. If anyone understands the conversation, it’s me. I’ve lived and breathed it.”
>>
>>91097351

Her character is white in comics isn't it? So is Danny..

is she defending Sjws?
>>
>>91097351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suWcGhNCMj4
>>
>>91097414
gross
>>
>>91097377
I believe she was mixed, white and asian.

Also she fucked Cyclops.

The Marvel Universe use to be a lot closer.
>>
>>91097351
>I'm Asian
Not with the last name "Henwick" you're not.
>>
File: PowerManIronFist101.jpg (302KB, 1062x1512px) Image search: [Google]
PowerManIronFist101.jpg
302KB, 1062x1512px
>>91097377
In the comics Colleen is half-Chinese and half-Japanese.

And has blue eyes and reddish-brown hair.

...Not one of Marvel's proudest moments for character design, no.
>>
>>91097458

My point is she needs a better publicist otherwise shes going to end up seeming crazy. Asian community in UK is tiny compared to the U.S and she's never experienced any of the problems they have finding roles, and her career shows that.

Hypocrisy coming out of her mouth is astounding.
>>
>>91097491

So she's full asian but drawn like a white girl. Gotcha.

So there's that and then the fact that danny was always white, so why isn't she defending the project and job she was given?
>>
>>91097476
Asian Americans are more obnoxious than american blacks when it comes to identity politics.

And for what purpose? Asian Americans have it great.
>>
>>91097557

She isn't from the US though, she's british.
>>
It's sad.

"The Power Man and Iron Fist" comics, for all their flaws, were a big step forward in the way they portrayed white, asian, and black characters all working together and being friends and family.

Meanwhile the live action has already had not one but two actors complaining about how awful it was to have to work with a white actor.
>>
>>91097588

I just feel sorry for Finn jones having to work with her now.
>>
>>91097588

I know Henwick has said stuff but who was the other?
>>
>>91097611
To be fair, he IS an idiot.

"Y'all just hate Danny Rand because Donald Trump was elected, so now you hate white businessmen"?

Dude, keep your trap shut.
>>
>>91097653
Lewis Tan. The guy that played the drunken fist fighter.
>>
File: 1456435459492.jpg (59KB, 956x472px) Image search: [Google]
1456435459492.jpg
59KB, 956x472px
Marvel Studios was a mistake.
>>
>>91097611
>defending jones
Anon pls he's said stupider shit than she has and according to what we've heard he's lazy too
>>
>>91097666

I mean I feel for him and he isn't wrong, I don't think he would have gotten half the shit he has if Clinton did win.

Obviously he was always going to get attacked somewhat with the way SJWs are and obviously people in US know how to deal with that better than someone from the UK but still, he's getting attacked for existing and being comic accurate. It would feel shitty and unfair if it was me.
>>
File: this triggers all men.png (826KB, 510x1572px) Image search: [Google]
this triggers all men.png
826KB, 510x1572px
>>91097351
>Asian women
>having a say in whitewashing in Asian settings or inspired media
They're not the ones who are always put in bit roles in mainstream media, or deal with negative stereotypes. They just need to be the exotic sex appeal for the white male hero
But she's not even full Asian, she's a hapa
>>
>>91097719

And? Being lazy is okay to attack him for fitting the part?

Attack him for being lazy, not white.
>>
The trouble is, Marvel SHOULD be able to just go "that's how it is in the comics, culture shock is a big part of the character" but...

They didn't fucking show the culture shock. They didn't show him having a hard time fitting in back in K'un Lun, and as for reintegrating in New York he pretty much strolled in and was handed billions of dollars. That's not how it was in the books.

The writers rewrote Iron Fist's origin the worst possible way for 2017.
>>
>>91097753
He made his own bed when he started agreeing with them.
>>
File: feel guy.png (363KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
feel guy.png
363KB, 5000x5000px
>>91097700
>mfw they couldn't play this up in the show because it never showed his Kun Lun training
>>
>>91097772
This. They needed to do an almost 1-to- adaptation.
>>
File: surprised black guy.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
surprised black guy.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>91097744
So white guys use "muh dik" as an argument against Asians? Interesting...
>>
>>91097491
So Japan has no proud moments then?
>draw characters as asian
EWWW OMG SUCH A RACIST CARICATURE
>draw characters less extremely racial
WHITEWASHING

Rule number 1 of SJWs is they cannot be pleased
>>
>>91097781

Well he is a liberal back in UK or whatever Labour represents. So I suppose he does deserve some of it at least.
>>
>>91097351
>whitewashing controversy

I don't get it, who got whitewashed?
>>
>>91097557
>>91097581
Asian here.

In my experience most "Asian Americans" and "Asian Brits" or whatever are the most terrible race-traitor hypocrites in the world.

Most of them don't have Asian surnames, can't speak, read, or write the language of their forefathers. It's especially egregious with the women, many of whom implicitly hate their own kind and run off to marry whites in order to role-play as whites and pretend their children are white. They legitimately get angry when people point out their Asian descent, hence why they vocally despise "Asian fetishization" so much even as they chase white men; it ruins their role-playing.

But they're traitors to whites too. As seen with Henwick here, they play the "Asian" card whenever they think they can leverage it to a personal advantage. The women often end up completely dominating their households and emotionally abusing their husbands too, because typically it's only the weak-willed whites that get conned into marrying them.

In other words, they're completely self-serving, trying to play both sides. On the Asian side most are starting to wake up to the antics of their race-traitor cousins, holding them at arms length with suspicion or even outright disowning them, but the Western side still embrace these hypocrites completely.
>>
>>91097588
Iron Fist was power fantasy for white people who liked Kung Fu movies but couldn't deal with the MC being Asian
So what do you do? Make a white guy the strongest and bestest at Martial Arts in an Asian setting. It's a Cold Steel level OC.
Characters like Iron Fist are pretty shitty, you aren't seeing Asian King Arthur
>>
I'm actually curious about something. Would you guys rather Danny be white, but a shitty actor who can't do martial arts at all, or non-white (doesn't even need to be Asian), but is an amazing actor that is skilled at martial arts? And for either choice, please explain why you think the actor's race or ability is more important than the other.
>>
>>91097837
Black man beats white man, white man beats asian man, asian man beats black man,
>>
>>91097888
Danny, obviously!
>>
>>91097799
They also fucked it up in him coming back to New York. He just spent 15 years in another society, and his "culture shock" getting back to New York was him going "oh, so you're NOT meant to attack random dojo owners here?"

And the dude wore shoes on the training mats which is a cultural no-no, but the wrong one to see from a character supposedly raised in a martial arts fantasy land.

They had opportunities, and they fucked it up.

They dropped the ball the moment they looked at the comics and went "stupid comic writers, what do they know?" and tossed out the defining element of Iron Fist's origin. Books had Danny watch as Harold Meachem killed his dad and got his mom killed. Spent 15 years training his ass off in K'un Lun, with "kill that asshole" driving him, only to finally confront Meachem and find out he was a pathetic leggless sadsack that had spent 15 years living in terror of one day facing justice. Danny walked away in disgust, someone else killed Harold and framed Danny, cue "hunted for a crime he didn't commit".

The TV writers honestly thought that we'd be more interested in a character that goes around telling us "I don't know what I want to do with my life".

Everyone involved in this fiasco really deserves to lose their jobs, they handled this whole thing so badly.
>>
>>91097898
you have to go back
>>
>>91097891
>Asian here.
Are you Chinese or Japanese?
>>
>>91097891
>Most of them don't have Asian surnames, can't speak, read, or write the language of their forefathers.
To be fair, neither can any other non-Brit who comes to America
>It's especially egregious with the women, many of whom implicitly hate their own kind and run off to marry whites in order to role-play as whites and pretend their children are white.
that's really shitty, they also end up hating their kids because they aren't white enough
>They legitimately get angry when people point out their Asian descent, hence why they vocally despise "Asian fetishization" so much even as they chase white men; it ruins their role-playing.
Some Asian women like being Asian only when it's a mean to seem more desirable
>>
File: Vageena_with_Mug8.jpg (18KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Vageena_with_Mug8.jpg
18KB, 450x338px
>>91097898
Da fuck is this post?
>>
>>91097611
Iron Finn is a bad actor, but he doesn't deserve all this race hate shit he's been getting.

I wonder how he'll feel pretending to be in love with her in S2.
>>
>>91097916
>Would you prefer to rip the heart out of the Iron Fist story, or rip the heart out of the Iron Fist visuals?

How about the option behind door number three: just adapt the fucking books properly? Good martial arts on top of a story about a guy being raised in a very different culture, then returning to "his" culture and finding out that he doesn't fit in there any more?
>>
>>91097916
I think the ability to perform martial arts stunts should've been priority numero uno. I would've taken mediocre acting from anyone if the fight scenes were dope.
>>
>>91097891

Well my cousins are white bred and good family boys as it comes and they both married asians, and they seem traditional, (one is thai and something and other is pacific islander and something, malaysian? they both have traditional looks to them even if they're mutts.) So maybe it's only certain strains of asian that do that? I mean they dated through highschool and all that so they all hung out as a preppy clique so I guess that is kinda an oft-white grouping.

They're nice though. I don't see it as traitors but I suppose people that come from strong asian backgrounds heritage wise would see that as betrayal.

damned if you do, damned if you don't anon.
>>
>>91097666
He's not wrong though.

However, he needs to shut up and study martial arts harder for season 2.
>>
>>91097891
Lmao. Small dicked gook mad that his crush would rather fuck a white man than him.
>>
>>91097700
Marvel Studios =/= Marvel TV
>>
>>91097992
>Iron fist visuals
Iron fist is a legacy character now so as long as they are wearing green pajamas then I could care less about the skin color.
>>
>>91098006
the kids will be fucked up
>>
File: We Wuz Round Table.jpg (86KB, 681x512px) Image search: [Google]
We Wuz Round Table.jpg
86KB, 681x512px
>>91097898
>you aren't seeing Asian King Arthur
But black Lancelot and female Arthur already exist
>>
>>91097898
But Danny isn't the strongest and bestest at martial arts. He's just the Iron Fist.
>>
>>91098076
>female Arthur
but Saber is CUTE
>>
>>91097916
The latter. In fact, I like Grace Randolph's idea: make Danny a rich Asian-American kid, and put him at odds with the Asian-Asians at Kun-Lun who look down on him for being westernized (asian equivalent of an "Oreo" or whatever). Then when he becomes the Iron Fist you don't have any problematic White Savior issues, since he is biologically Asian. Not saying I hated IF due to whitewashing or whatever, but I think the comic fans would've been satisfied with this change if they actually do something meaningful with it.
>>
>>91098057

Well my cousins live out on west coast so I assume they're going to get spoiled rotten so who knows.
>>
>>91098076
>Black lancelot
>literally BLACKED guinevere
>>
>>91098109

Absolutely not this, I am for character purity and not changing things, so I disagree with this anon. Though I do like his idea if it was an OC character.
>>
>>91098109
I wouldnt have been happy because there was nothign wrong with story to begin with
>>
>>91097938
That does sound interesting, but remember, they have to give comic book readers a reason to watch the show. Ripping the plot verbatim means if you read the comics, the show has pretty much nothing to offer you.
>>
>>91097351
Oh brother.
>>
>>91098109
I wouldn't not have been satisfied with this change at all man, what the hell. What is wrong with Danny Rand being a white man?
>>
>>91098148
>the show has pretty much nothing to offer you.

Well, decent fights would be nice.
>>
>>91098148
>Ripping the plot verbatim means if you read the comics, the show has pretty much nothing to offer you.
I object to that idea. You'll still get to see your favorite characters, scenes, and fights in motion, rather than represented by comic panels.
>>
>>91097414
>I think it's better than DD and JJ

opinion discarded
>>
>>91098159
What's wrong with Danny being asian?
>>
File: yo.png (395KB, 300x598px) Image search: [Google]
yo.png
395KB, 300x598px
>>91097898

Funny you should mention that...
>>
>>91098207

Because that's not the character, that is someone else.
>>
File: hapa.jpg (352KB, 972x1828px) Image search: [Google]
hapa.jpg
352KB, 972x1828px
>>91098113
Even worse, expect school shooters
>>
>>91098207
are you being serious right now?
>>
He's not Asian in the comics numbnuts. Make your own damn comics if you want representation.
>>
>>91098207
being a foreigner is key to his character, as much as I detest his concept
>>
>>91097772
As someone that hasn't had much exposure to Iron Fist, (only the newest book), I thought they got that point across.

It was obvious to me that much his motivation was trying to get validation. In becoming Iron Fist he was trying to get acknowledgement from the Monks. Judging by Davos being a cunt and he's supposed to be his "friend" I'd assume that everyone was worse to him. Maybe they needed to have the monks shouting 'baka gaijin' as they caned him. So Davos became a pissy little bitch when he became Iron Fist thus alienating him even further. Causing him to run the fuck away.

In trying to get the company back he was trying to get acknowledgement from the few people left of his original life.

Is that about right?

I think people are either retarded and need it written out for them or they didn't watch it and only want to bitch about Asian casting.
>>
>>91098227

my cousins would beat their ass before letting their kids be fuck ups. My entire family is very conservative.
>>
>>91097948
I am Laotian. Not really.

>>91097955
>To be fair, neither can any other non-Brit who comes to America
It's less egregious because of the closer relation.
>they also end up hating their kids because they aren't white enough
This is what pisses me off the most. I've met and befriended some mixed kids and have seen just how badly they are messed up by their terrible parents.
>>
>>91098139
>>91098144
>>91098159
Keep in mind I was replying to a "Would you rather" question. Ideally, we could have a comic-accurate Danny Rand that can also perform the martial arts well. I'm just saying that if we went with option B, this is a way to make it kinda work. As opposed to just "we made him Asian so the SJWs wouldn't bitch".
>>
>>91098207
He's not asian in the source material
The white/black dynamic with Luke would be ruined
The white/black dynamic with Misty would be ruined
There's nothing ground breaking about an asian doing martial arts
There's less culture shock in K'un L'un
There's less overt racism in K'un L'un
>>
>>91098148
Yeah, it's a good thing the Harry Potter movies were nothing like the books.
>>
What is the difference between Danny's race and his martial arts? Because it seems you guys care more about his race than martial arts.
>>
>>91098208
>muslim from the middle east
>labelled asian
[TRIGGERED]
>>
>>91098249

You got it mostly right.
>>
>>91097414
Nice youtube channel faggot.
>>
>>91098201
Jessica Jones was awful.
>>
>>91098076
Seiba is great tho.
>>
>>91098266
the ocean?
>>
>>91098271

Movies have a habit of causing cross-properity synergy, so I detest the idea on the grounds I'd rather have a mediocre Iron Fist that keeps Danny Rand the same in the comics versus getting a better adaptation that changes the character into something new.

So dropping an asian into the role because they have martial arts experience but suck at acting etc.
>>
>>91098281
His race is white in the source material, so any faithful adaptation should keep him white.

His martial arts in IF really sucks, could use drastic improvement in both the choreography and the cinematography.
>>
>>91098254
and that's exactly why they'll be fuck ups
plus how conservative can they really be if they mixed?
>>
>>91098207
Well, I'd argue that as a way to increase the representation in comics, the entire "let's just change the race of some popular characters" approach is bafflingly awful. Is that really what you want? For all the high profile nonwhite characters in TV/movies to have "this character was white in the comics" in their profile? Dude, how about pushing to give some jobs to existing nonwhite comic characters?

That said, there's a lot of characters that are white in the books but don't have much cultural baggage. No reason why Carter "Hawkman" Hall has to be white. No reason why Stephen "My last name doesn't make sense anyway" Strange can't be latino.

Iron Fist is one of the handful that really fucking need to be white. Because he's the white guy that was raised in a culture where he stuck out for being white. Because he's the white guy that returned to mainly-white society and didn't fit in because of his upbringing. Because he's the white guy that loves a black woman and is best friends with a black man, while still thinking of some Asian characters as being his extended family.

You would have a hard time finding characters whose identity as a white character was more important, and which tackled the whole racial intersection more.

Mind you the show's writers botched the whole thing by failing to address any of that.
>>
>>91097916
Cast the white guy as Danny and give him a costume, put it on the stunt double and make him do the fighting. The only good Netflix actors have been Charlie Cox, Vincent D' Onofrio and the muslim nigger, everybody else ranks from average to terrible. Colter is straight up a bad actor.
>>
>>91098274
>He's not asian in the source material
But this is an adaptation.
>>
>>91098295

Elliot rodgers needed to be beaten and taken out of his delusional mindset, he was a spoiled shit that never got corrected.
>>
>>91098274
like Marvel cared about race
>>
>>91097930
What is this, Paper Rock Scissors rules?
>>
>>91097458
Cyke is such a slut and a race traitor.
>>
>>91098357

Being fiscally conservative, religious has nothing to do with racism, my bewildered friend.
>>
File: Crabchan.jpg (657KB, 1000x2876px) Image search: [Google]
Crabchan.jpg
657KB, 1000x2876px
>>91097744
>>
>>91098295

Well so far they're not, so I suppose we'll see in about ten years.
>>
File: Shang-Chi8.jpg (45KB, 385x415px) Image search: [Google]
Shang-Chi8.jpg
45KB, 385x415px
>Everyone wants Danny to be asian
>Everyone forgets about the actual asian master of kung-fu
>>
>>91098109
This is fucking terrible.
>>
>>91098436
desu women do this shit to each other regardless of race nigga
>>
>>91098371
Great post anon, I couldn't agree more.

Danny is one of the rare white characters where being white is crucial to his personality, relationships, and development.
>>
>>91098469
>implying "everyone" reads comics
>>
>>91098469

I would actually like to see Shang Chi get some love in season 2.
>>
>>91098428
Fucking kek
Sure theres no correlation there my dude
>>
>>91098383
Your point? Adaptations that aren't at least faithful to the source material almost always turn out shit, for good reason.
>>
>>91097898
So what you're saying is that white people are smart enough to make their own characters, while everyone else just bitches about how white characters should change races?
>>
>>91098510

Not in my family, I can't say anything for others.
>>
>>91098389
his mother spoiled him when he was young but pretty much dropped him to a nanny and pretty much treated her son like shit. Tiger moms are bad for a child, even worse when the dad is a beta.
>>91098455
lots of hapas were prodigies when they were young, they were raised that way, but something always makes them give it all up...
>>91098428
race and culture are completely intertwined
>>
>>91098383
You're right! This is an adaptation, they should keep it close to the source material so it's a good adaptation.
>>
>>91098469
They'd have to read comics first.
>>
>>91098469
that's what I've been saying. Just add fucking Shang Chi to appease these losers. i'm losing my fucking mind man. i'm so sick of this shit and these people.
>>
>>91097891
Learning more about the mixed-Asian narratives in the west in recent years has always been interesting to me, because my experience was so different from the party line that gets bandied around. My mother was the Asian one, but she was only Hapa and it was her father, not her mother, that was the full blooded Korean and who had zero shits about keeping his kids "Asian" in terms of culture. I suppose Hawaii does that to you.

Maybe it comes from being disconnected from any wider Asian community too, but it's been like waking up one day to realize you're part of a group that not only considers itself put upon but put upon for reasons that have nothing to do with your life or family history. I dislike the undercurrent of divorcing the father from the equation and resorting to outdated one-drop shit.
>>
>>91098542
You're getting your facts mixed up, Elliot's mom struggled very hard to buy him expensive things he didn't need, like his car and shirts and sunglasses. He was pretty ungrateful about it.
>>
>>91098546
like Heimdall and The Ancient One?
>>
>>91098469
You're suggesting that they'd at all forgive him for being tied into Fu Manchu.
>>
>>91098598
Weird, I figured you'd have brought up main characters to bring up your point.

Odd they didn't make Thor black or Dr. Strange a woman.
>>
>>91098593
either way there's more hapas than Elliot who are fucked up
>>
>>91098582
From what I've watched, up to episode 10, almost all the characters in IF are minorities already. I don't think adding another asian will appease sjw faggots.
>>
>>91098540
Well no one gives a shit about your family your mong. The world does not revolve around how you view your own nothing family.
>>
This is all because all of you are ignoring the SUPER IMPORTANT homosexual demographic they wanted to aim for with the purple iron fist, and Danny's father issues.

There was a huge homosexual coming of age story paralleling his Asian romance story.

Remember gays have a lot of money and making a DD for whites, JJ for ladies, LC for Blacks and Danny for homosexuals would have been the market domination trifecta!!

They changed the books not for whitewashing but to INCLUDE the gays.

But the only story the gays get is daddy won't like me for being gay boohoo. Which is stupid.
>>
>>91098148

Nobody's saying that you have to rip the story verbatim, just that you have to keep some consistent beats, and the most important one is the motivation of the main character. If a character's done fairly well in comics for 40+ years, you draw upon that, and keep the elements that have endured. The one area that you stay the fuck away from is the fundamentals of motivation.

Matt in both the comics and show is a a guy that gained superhuman powers in an accident that left him blind, wanting to fight the bad guys because his father was killed by criminals when he was young. Also: Catholic guilt.

Luke in the comics and show is a guy just trying to get by after being framed for shit he didn't do, along the way turning to heroics because he's trying to do the right thing with the powers he got. Both versions had him as a guy going "man I'm just trying to get by," with the comics showing him doing some things for money and the show having him trying to keep a lower profile to stay out of trouble. Still pretty consistent in the motivation.

Iron Fist in the comics trained to be the very very best to avenge his parents, only to have that revenge turn out to be hollow, followed by him ending up framed and on the run. You could expand upon that a lot to make it more interesting to comic fans. Instead they replaced "everything I did it all to avenge my folks, and now it's all kinda gone wrong" with "everything I did it was because, I dunno, it seemed like a good idea at the time."
>>
>>91098613
Magical loli Dr. Strange would be dope.

They should drop Thor and do a Bill movie instead. #horselivesmatter
>>
File: lotsa seibas.png (522KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
lotsa seibas.png
522KB, 640x360px
>>91098100
>>91098304
I didn't say otherwise Nero and Okita are cuter though.

>>91098208
>White people can't be masters of martial arts
>A muslim can claim England's most famous blade without problem
>>
>>91098651
whites are creating both those characters
>>
>>91098624

People responding to me care and I undermine their narrative so apparently you care too.

If you don't care, just don't respond.

if you do, then you accept that you do care and want my opinion and my opinion comes anecdotally from my own family experience.
>>
>>91098669
Whites are cucks what else is new?
>>
>>91098670
to say race and culture aren't interconnected is ridiculous
being Conservative is more than just how you deal with money and religion, it's about how you live.
>>
>>91098469
>Why aren't you talking about the guy whose father is literally Fu Manchu?

Because his father is literally Fu Manchu. It's the premise of like 50% of all Shang stories. I like him, but come fucking on, he's the last character to try to push if you're interested in making Marvel look less racist.

Trouble is, Marvel's Asian representation isn't that great. There's Shang "don't mention his father" Chi, Amadeus "was way better as a co-star with Hercules" Cho, Colleen "less interesting than Misty" Wing, and... um... various X-Men I guess? It's a shallow pool to dip from.
>>
>>91097611
>>91097653
Henwick is defending him though.
>>
>>91098717

Well they all met at church and went to same highschool, and that was only religion and money at least from my observation.

If there is a larger ethos that I'm dismissing, it just wasn't important to life my uncle raised his kids with?

Both my cousins work for large corporations, went to business/hotel management, and went from a family supported by a semi driver turned business owner into a multi-generational family of people owning property and being knee deep in business community across the west coast, so beyond those themes, if there is a broader issue that you think isn't being addressed, it was never important to them as a family.

Your angry your worldview isn't shared, isn't my problem, or even your definition of conservatism at that.
>>
>White character stays white
>Cry about whitewashing

I almost think it should be illegal to misuse terms/words.
>>
>>91097930
>phrasing
>>
This all reminds me of when that dev of CD Projekt Red got in a fight on twitter with SJWs because they kept telling him to put more black people in his game, and he said there were no black people in that area in the time Witcher 3 took place.

And then he said "What, are white people just supposed to make things for all the other races? WHy cant everyone make movies and games for their own race? Why is it white peoples job to do it all?"

and then everyone tried reporting him to the lead of the studio going "DUDE YOUR GUY IS BEING RASCIST AND STUFF! FIRE HIM!"

But then it turned out he was the head dev and founder of the studio and he was like "Haha, okay, thanks for letting me know."
>>
>>91098783

From the OP and other sources it sounds like she is trying to split hairs. So how is that her defending him though?
>>
>>91098803
hapas are 34% more likely for mental issues just so you know
>>
>>91097898
>he said while posting an image of a movie made by the Chinese
It's okay anon, I got it.
>>
>>91098227
This is why race-mixing is bad. Even with Asian chicks, there's a good chance your kids will looked like fucked-up mongrels.
>>
>>91098817
no one is crying about whitewashing
it's the white savior narrative of a 70s character they're complaining about.

the whitewashing strawman was created by people like you to downplay the real problem
>>
File: 1477840253936.jpg (61KB, 600x513px) Image search: [Google]
1477840253936.jpg
61KB, 600x513px
>>91097744
>Saw a image just like this but it was women trashing an Asian cutie
>"Women are so sad"
>Now this

People are so fucking sad.
>>
>>91098850

I haven't seen any issues and I knew both the girls when we were growing up, they seem pretty well adjusted and even saved my cousins asses in college.
>>
>>91098634
but steel serpent wears purple
>>
>>91098783
>Henwick is defending him though.

>>91097351
>“It was a hard decision to make to join the show."

That's some funny looking defense. She literally complained that it's unfair that the source material wasn't scrapped to make the lead character a race he's explicitly not.

That's about the nastiest you can be to your coworkers while still working with them.
>>
>>91097351
That's some really unprofessional shit, badmouthing the show that gave you a break.
>>
File: 14812273805058.jpg (832KB, 1658x2468px) Image search: [Google]
14812273805058.jpg
832KB, 1658x2468px
>>91098827
>This all reminds me of when that dev of CD Projekt Red

You mean Warhorse Studios?
>>
>>91098875
>no one is crying about whitewashing

I don't think you know what strawman means.
Also "real problem" lol
>>
>>91097938
>Everyone involved in this fiasco really deserves to lose their jobs, they handled this whole thing so badly.
Sorry, but despite all the race whining and bad critical reception, it's a smash in terms of actual viewer ratings.
>>
>>91098924

This is kind of what I feel >>91098924

About her statement, it sounds like backhanded shit co-workers say about other people they work with and she says shit like this while sitting right next to him. It borders on cruelty.
>>
>>91098882

People can be pretty fucking vapid and petty sometimes.
>>
>>91098846
http://www.cbr.com/iron-fist-jessica-henwick-defends-finn-jones/

>“Look, I am Asian. I am Asian and I am an actor. If anyone understands, it’s me,” she said when asked to address fans’ fears of cultural appropriation. “I have faced it in my career. I’ve been working eight years and I’ve experienced it firsthand, the disparity when it comes to Asian representation — even more than that, Asian misrepresentation.”

>“But I also have seen what Finn’s done in this role and I honestly, honestly think that he smashes it out the park,” she concluded.
>>
>>91097938
I honestly thought it was a budget thing that they decided to show some cheap looking plane sequence then they go and show Danny and Colleen in the mountains in the last episode as a big fuck you to people who were hoping MAYBE Danny had his memory of the event altered or some shit.
>>
>>91098939
Anyone have that Marjorie Liu tweet?
>>
>>91098860
all the writers and producers are White, 2 of the 4 studies are America. and 1 of the Chinese-owned one is just a distributing company
the director is Chinese, but that's it.
>>
>>91098641
They did somewhat address it with Gao saying deep down he knew his parents were murdered, although it was kinda half-assed. I think they could have made it work if he wasn't so cool with Harold when they met. The anger he had when he first came back to New York made me feel like it was going to be revealed that he was out for revenge and it was going to be kept a secret until he found out Harold was alive and went into a murderous rage towards him.
>>
>>91098875
>no one is crying about whitewashing

Have you read the articles? Shit dude, it's in the title of the Entertainment Weekly article linked in the OP.

They absolutely are.

>white savior

I'll give you that the people writing the show fucked up royally and made it more white savior-y (even gave him a prophecy, yeesh).

In the source material it was just that a kid who watched his parents die got trained to fight in a magical land and then 15 years later went back to the non-magical land. Also the magical land was vaguely Chinese, but the thrust of the story wasn't him saving anyone there.
>>
>>91098895
well, girls are all crazy so...
>>
>>91097557

I've no clue about Asian Americans and identity politics, but what I can tell you is that East Asians have strong nationalism. It's not based on race. That region has had a long history of hostility and competition against each other, and territorial disputes persist to this day.
>>
>>91098875
But Danny didn't travel to an Asian country to save them.
>>
>>91098938
oh christ i would love to see sjws try to shove black and middle eastern people into the dynasty warrior games by tweeting nippon devs
>>
>>91098973
If people actually bothered to read the EW article too, they'd notice she doesn't actually say anything about Finn. She barely even says anything about "the controversy," just that she's Asian and is in that long going conversation about Asians in media. And how it's likely they're will be an Asian led Superhero thing and that genre stuff tends to have more minorities. Then she talks about wanting to play an Asian woman who punches people. That's it.

All of the "whitewashing" stuff comes from the EW writer, not from her.
>>
>>91097351
>>>/pol/
all of you. fuck off with your identity politics.
>>
>>91098973

Which doesn't sound like semantics to you? she's basically saying there is a systemic problem in white countries with asians getting rolled over for roles?

Asia makes tons of movies featuring all asian casts. Asians have a huge percentage of leads if you look at the world.

The only complaint is a white dominant country is making movies in their own narrative?

Danny's story is basically a pale copy of 2005 Batman movie except swap out League of Shadows and switch in K'un Lun
>>
>>91098952
A lot of that is people voting in the hopes it'll have a better second season. And spite voting.

Take an Iron Fist fan aside, he or she will talk your ear off about how badly they fucked up the comics. And it's been a PR fiasco from day one. I'm bewildered that Marvel let it spiral so far out of control. It's a book about people from lots of different races/cultures becoming great friends/family. How badly do you have to drop the ball to let a conga line of reviewers keep calling the adaptation racist?
>>
>>91099078
>RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE STOP TALKING ABOUT COMIC STUFF ITS MAKING ME UNCOMFORTABLEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>91097891
I don't care if you're asian, anyone who uses "race-traitor" unironically is dumb as shit.
>>
>>91099078
Just shut up and kiss me!
>>
>>91099025
it's based on ethnicity
but same difference really.
>>
Why are people complaining about Asian actors not being in US shows and movies when they're only 5% of the population? I don't get what lack of representation really factors in anyone's life. How the fuck does Michael Cera or Justin Long matter to white people's jobs or social lives?
>>
>>91098436
CUTE!
>>
>>91098530
Yeah. The Chinese done have much imagination. Look at how they keep recycling Journey to the West and Those Dynasty Warrior stories
>>
>>91099091
THIS

Nobody calls out on Asians when they don't cast blacks, Hispanics, gays or whatever. Double standards?
>>
"I want big white cock, not little rice dicks"

- Jessica Henwick
>>
>>91099106
Reminder that Asians make up 5% of actors in US media, the same percentage of their population.

They're represented fine
>>
>>91099091
>America is a white country
>>
>>91099025
All Asians hate one another. They only care about their respective ethnic groups and are willing to toss other Asians under the bus.
>>
>>91099091
>>91099130
It's the same logic liberals use when they think they should have guns, but not republicans
>>
>>91099163
>Founded by whites
>Majority of current population is white

Yes it is.
>>
>>91099151
>>91099106
Well Jews make up even less and are everywhere in media
but really it's not about more representation, it's about better representation
>>
>>91099163
Yes.
>>
>>91099178
>>>Majority of current population is white

Not for long!
>>
>>91099187

Which if you look at reviews plenty of people praise jessica henwick? She is getting shots at multiple high end properties.
>>
>>91099151
Exactly my point. I don't fucking understand these people. They get professional white-collared jobs and their kids go to Ivy Leagues. They have zero issues compared to other minorities. In fact, to call them minorities is bullshit because Asians are more than 3/5 of the world's population. They can't find characters to relate to back in their homeland?
>>
>>91099187
Yeah it's easy to cry and demand that other people making media (using all their time and money) take risks to use Asians in main roles.
>>
>>91099187
"Let's cast this Asian guy as someone who's really great at martial arts" doesn't strike me as something that would be considered "better."
>>
>>91099228

If anything SJW's would have ripped it for being racist for Typecasting.

There is noway they could have won with Iron Fist.
>>
>>91099220
it shouldn't be a risk, America is a diverse country and should have no problem with seeing other races in lead roles
>>
>>91097351
what is she even complaining about? An Asian playing the part of a white person? what
>>
>>91099253
Yeah and I shouldn't have to wait on line to order food.
>>
>>91099250
Make Danny into a Latin American of European ancestry. That's diversity since he'd descended from Spanish or Portuguese speakers and not WASP.
>>
>>91099253

is Keanu the only leading asian actor in the US? He's only part asian right?
>>
File: 1325295198000.png (6KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1325295198000.png
6KB, 493x402px
>>91099091
>America
>White dominant
Yeah sure, that extra 10% does so much for you, meanwhile Asia barely has any other people to work with movies.
>>
>>91099275
1/4th
>>
>>91099253
Doesn't Netflix also have a series staring an Asian male? Badlands or something?
>>
>>91099275
I think he's 1/4 or something. He easily passes for white that you wouldn't even realize he's got Asian genes.
>>
>>91099270

Kinda like what they did with Antonio banderas becoming a middle easterner for 13th warrior?
>>
>>91099282
>Pit all minorities against just whites
>y-you guys are barely the majority
No other single race comes close to white population
>>
>>91099275
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_television_series_with_Asian_leads
Seems to have exploded pretty well in the 10s, it's no longer an issue.
>>
>>91099282

What do you mean? You mean Asia is xenophobic about who they put in their movies?
>>
>>91099106
Even keeping in mind that they're a relatively small part of the US population, they're still statistically unrepresented in US media. People check, regularly. Not hugely below, but below (and when you're looking at significant talking roles it's worse).

Still they do WAY better than Latinos, who just plain get fucked over hard in terms of Representation. Asians and blacks have "nearly right, a little below" levels of representation statistically. With Latinos there's a chasm between reality and media.
>>
File: 3 (2).jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
3 (2).jpg
30KB, 400x400px
To the people who want more Asian representation in media, what is your solution? You have two choices.

Put a gun to creator's heads and force them.
Put a pen to the paper and create your own.

Which will you choose?
>>
File: Harold_and_Kumar.jpg (79KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
Harold_and_Kumar.jpg
79KB, 658x370px
>>91099294
that's AMC
Though there aren't a lot of Asian American based media
Whenever we have Asians in media their Asianness is the focus on their character in some way or the other.
The only story that comes to mind when being Asian wasn't really important to his character is Harold from Harold and Kumar

Asian Americans don't really have much identity connected to their ancestor's home countries
>>
>>91099130
Because the Asian countries making Asian movies have nowhere near the cross section of the global population the US has. I'm not even sure why this is a point to bring up, except as a counterpoint to when people get egregiously stupid and think the poles need to have black people in their polish themed games.
>>
>>91097377
Colleen was Asian, Danny was white
>>
>>91099311
That don't mean anything, America is a melting pot. Whites being 60% of the population means shit, more when your birthrates are on the floor.

The point is, America actually has people to work with meanwhile Asia mostly only got Asians.

But for the sake of semantics and because it seems it's really important to you that our country remains white, yes, America is white.

For now.
>>
>>91099312

Their big complaint is a lot of those are Indians, and the others are all mixed except for like 2.

And it's always going to be an issue because Jews own those corps and they hire other jews. So nepotism is always going to be a thing and funny part about it is Chris Rock never calls that aspect out, he just hides behind blanket white racism when reality is very few non-jews have anything to say about high end media decisions in the US.

I suppose you could blame the murdochs.
>>
>>91099130
because Asian countries aren't diverse
>>
>>91099396

She doesn't look asian though which is why I was confused.
>>
File: 2cool4school.png (504KB, 699x593px) Image search: [Google]
2cool4school.png
504KB, 699x593px
>>91099401
Again, Asians make up 5% of actors in the US and 5% of the media.
Fits like a glove.
>>
>>91099442
>The point is, America actually has people to work with meanwhile Asia mostly only got Asians.
then we should lower a number of jews in media
>>
>>91099395
Asians are notoriously racist and they don't allow immigration like the West does. So no shit they cast nothing but their own kind. Meanwhile everything in Hollywood has to acquiesce to SJW-mandated diversity.
>>
>People talking about representation in media overall in a post about superheroes

Guys, you may not have noticed, but cape comics lag waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind other forms of media. Largely because we keep sucking the cocks of characters created decades ago.

Not saying that Danny should be Asian, he's white. Just pointing out that when it comes to superheroes there's problems not found elsewhere. Shit, who was the last nonwhite comic superhero to be THE star in a movie adapting the book? Fucking Blade?
>>
Did any media or public figures complain about davos' race being changed?
>>
>>91099394
It's funny you should mention that because that actor was also a significant character in Flashforward, where the only Asian thing about him was maybe his parents not liking his black girlfriend.

Also I'm not sure Harold and Kumar counts when a big part of the movies was comedy around racial stereotyping and the pressure that can come from those backgrounds. It's not like "asian guy = kung fu master" or anything, but it edges close to complaints about "if you have someone who's different than the norm in someway, their character then revolves around that distinction instead of being a full character otherwise." Not that I'm criticizing Harold and Kumar, either.
>>
>>91099452

>Taking their friends and family out of stuff they own
>ever happening

They'll just paint the media with a progressive coat of paint to shut people up but come on, of course they're going to hire who they know. The entire media industry is all WHO YOU KNOW
>>
>>91099411
It's never enough for them. For fuck's sake AMC casted a Korean dude for Glenn in The Walking Dead show. They should be fucking grateful for AMC actually bothering to cast him accurately.
>>
File: scroll scroll.jpg (124KB, 428x989px) Image search: [Google]
scroll scroll.jpg
124KB, 428x989px
>WAH THERE ARENT ENOUGH (X) ACTORS
>WAH WHY ISNT THIS CHARACTER (X) RACE?

Meanwhile I'm over here just wanting actors to look similar to their characters and I couldn't care less about the actual genetics of em.

In a free society we're probably never going to have perfect representations of all groups because people have choices and the likely hood of group A and group B having the same exact amount of people who want to do (x) job is insanely unlikely.
>>
>>91099394
>Asian Americans don't really have much identity connected to their ancestor's home countries
So how is that anyone else's fault but their own? If they want to see people who look like them, go fucking stream or DL stuff online. How is this even a fucking issue?
>>
>>91099394
Sunny's race isn't a focus of the character. With how long ago the apocalypse was I don't think they even know what Asia was. And you can't count the martial arts since literally everyone except Sunny's girlfriend does them.
>>
>>91099484
nope
>>91099483
Black Panther is coming to a theater near you soon
>>
>>91099521
Just you wait. By mid-century, I bet the lefties will force quotas for every production. There has to be X amount of white, Y amount of black, so on and so forth.
>>
>>91099484

I don't remember seeing any reviews about it but then again they called Finn jones casting 'whitewashing' even though he was always white.. These people either A) couldn't do a 4 minute google search or B) did the most clickbait-y headlines possible to get clicks and who cares if you know the real answer/truth already.
>>
>>91099164
This is true for all ethnic super-groups, not just Asians.

Groups that are related but considered distinct tend to be especially hateful of each other, probably from an "uncanny valley" effect. Consider for example the British siding with the French against the more closely related Germans.
>>
>>91099579
Oh they're definitely trying.
Hopfully enough people will realize the ironic inherent racism in hiring someone based on their race.
>>
>>91099483

You're getting a movie full of black people coming from a super advanced Wakanda.
>>
>>91097351
It's not whitewashing if the character was always white.
>>
>>91099591
That would require something called research; something most people are too lazy to do.

All they had to do is Wiki Iron Fist and they'd immediately find out that Danny is supposed to be white.
>>
So what characters that ARE Asian in the Marvel comics should Marvel give a show/movie to in the Cinematic Universe?

Shang Chi? Hard to pull off what with his dad being literally THE embodiment of the Yellow Peril trope. Not impossible, but not where you should be starting if you want to improve your PR.

Colleen Wing? There's just not a whole lot of depth to her character in the books. She's the BFF of her more interesting partner Misty, who in turn is less interesting than her boyfriend Iron Fist.

Amadeus Cho? C'mon, he sucks when he's not palling around with Hercules, Thor, Hulk or someone.
>>
>>91099635

Which leads me to believe they did it on purpose knowing they were lying and wanted people to get outraged over nothing.
>>
>>91099546
>So how is that anyone else's fault but their own? If they want to see people who look like them, go fucking stream or DL stuff online. How is this even a fucking issue?
Well, are white roles always connected to their ancestor's identity?
Even Italians got their own Italian American identity in media

Also a little disclosure, I don't treat this like IT'S THE BIGGEST DEAL IN THE WORLD THINGS NEED TO BE MY WAY.
I'm just against cliches
>>
>>91097930
What's this some kinda circle jerk?
haha
>>
>>91097916
They could have just gone out and found a white martial artist - they do exist. Does no one remember Chuck Norris before Walker? He used to do Bruce Lee movies. Or how about the Power Rangers, they were all martial artists/gymnasts who did their own stunts. They just got lazy and hired an actor from a popular show in hopes of getting fake nerds excited.
>>
>>91099662

From my understanding though all ethnic enclaves bought into the system after facing discrimination for at least a century. Just look at how bad Irish got it coming over during the famine.
>>
>>91099609
>Groups that are related but considered distinct tend to be especially hateful of each other, probably from an "uncanny valley" effect.
Nigga it's because they've been straight up killing and conquering each other for the last couple hundred years. Which they were only doing because they were right fucking next to each other. You think the Koreans hate the Japanese because they don't look right? They fucking hate them because Japan took them over and started colonizing them. Literally ever Asian nation has at some pointed tried to invade and conqueror their neighbors, just like every other group of people in history. That's where the bad blood comes from.

>Consider for example the British siding with the French against the more closely related Germans.
Jesus fucking Christ, are you kidding me with this shit? If you're talking about WWII, The Germans had a diametrically opposed political philosophy to the Brits and were, you know, fucking bent on taking over all of Europe. If you're talking about WWI, that has to do with 19th century colonialism and Europeans fighting over who should be running the oceans. This also feeds a bit more into WWII. Until all the European countries got bombed to shit and America and Russia became top dogs, European wars had evolved into a level of "fuck if I'm letting that other bastard try to run things."

You can't divorce this shit from history you retard.
>>
>>91099647
None because Asians aren't A-Listers in Marvel or have the kind of market power to attract tons of viewers. They already have Skye, Agent May, Hogun, and Mantis in Agents of SHIELD and the movies.
>>
>>91099624
>>91099571
>coming soon

Right. And how many superhero movies have there been in between Blade III and Black Panther?

Cape comics do have a problem, especially if you set aside the "legacy" characters. We're bad at this. Our A List heroes are characters that have been around since the 70s or even decades earlier, and when there's a push to change that it often results in a push to restore the original (just look at Cassandra Cain).

It's silly to go "well in media as a whole representation isn't too bad" when talking about comic book adaptations. Superhero books have lagged behind other media for a long time, and the movies reflect that.
>>
>>91099763
>Comics are a shit industry

Wow no way
>>
>>91099647
>Shang Chi? Hard to pull off what with his dad being literally THE embodiment of the Yellow Peril trope. Not impossible, but not where you should be starting if you want to improve your PR.
You could easily change it for the MCU that he's the real mandarin.
>>
>>91099693
True, but even Irish have an Irish American identity now. As shitty it kinda is
But just what is an Asian American identity? And how is it really portrayed in media?
Mind you Asian American is an identity that's mixed with every Asian ethnicity. Just what is it?
>>
>>91099763
This fixation with fictional racial quotas sure is weird.
>>
File: 19789999.jpg (105KB, 400x345px) Image search: [Google]
19789999.jpg
105KB, 400x345px
>>91099609
>"uncanny valley"
>>
>>91098283
Outside the US, Asian is a term for middle eastern races. What Americans consider Asian, Korean/Chinese/Japanese/etc, are called Orientals. But in the US it is considered politically incorrect to refer to them as Orientals.
>>
>>91099763

Right but it took a long time to establish those characters and they had plenty of ups and downs along the way to get here.

which I assume is why they're trying to racebend characters constantly in comics even though they keep getting push back.

Their test pool is full of the same people and don't want things to change, so they have an IP-stream problem. Their test bed is same people that made same character popular. And every attempt at expanding has been a mixed bed of reactions that always seem to end up with them going back to what works.

They tried expanding past their initial demo for at least a decade now. Since the marvel buyout.

What can they do differently? You have to test your intellectual property and if it doesn't work in small pond, you're not going to put it on the ocean.

and there is inherent perception problems with comics despite societies changing opinion about nerds, you're not going to see a lot of non-nerdish people chasing down comics, especially as digital has taken over the print world.

So you have a changing media landscape, an imperfect test bed for new characters and a risk averse movie industry that needs sure things to sign off on a 100 million dollar movie.
>>
>>91099794
>You could easily change it for the MCU that he's the real mandarin.

Why do retards keep saying this?

They deleted The Real Mandarin from Iron Man for being too Fu Manchuy. So... replace actual Fu Manchu with The Mandarin?

You're missing the fucking point, kid. If the problem is that the character IS FUCKING FU MANCHU then you're not really fixing the problem by replacing him with Fu Manchu knockoff.

He's a PR nightmare, whether you call him Fu Manchu or Le Mandarino Frapachino. They went for the jugular on a white character being portrayed by a white actor, there's no way Marvel would put Fu on screen, regardless of what name they used.

Shang might have a small chance of appearing in a guest star role, but short of a full origin rewrite he can't have his own show or movie.
>>
>>91099978
>can't have a Chinese criminal mastermind in a movie or tv show
This seems racist.
>>
>>91099812

Chinese during the railroads, china towns as ethnic enclaves, lack of getting citizenship until at least 1960s, japanese being interned during ww2.

They have a history it just isn't cohesive nor a positive reminder of the past. Asians used to use white friends to buy property to get around the race rules for immigration before 1960s changed things for immigration.

They built in-grown communities(ethnic enclaves) to service all of their needs, mostly because of language barriers, and as cities grew, they incorporated into them and changed their ethnic foods to fit the landscape and eventually influence the greater society.

It isn't a dominant identity, but it has been there all along. Like most migrating groups, losing your ethnic identity is first part to assimilating so.

I think their problem is that blacks couldn't give up their identity, it was forced on them, same with latinos, and each minority group has had varying levels of success acclimating. Asians have done really well, so have Sub-continental Indians.

It's hard to form an identity I think when you largely give yours up.
>>
>>91099483
Luke Cage
>>
>>91099978
Just do what the CGI cartoon did and make him not look like he stepped out of a mid-20th century Dr. Seuss propaganda comic and have him have a satisfactory villainous arc. Yeah, people are going to complain if there's an Asian villain, but guess what? People are going to fucking complain no matter what you do.
>>
>>91099978
Why exactly can't they just make him an Asian crime boss without the Yellow Peril stuff?
>>
>>91098227

>Dorothy Dutiel

Funny, I was looking up female mass and school shooters the other day.

Fucking weird how they all suck and have never even attained a double digit body count.
>>
>>91099895
>Right but it took a long time to establish those characters

Right. But that's fucking weird. Even keeping in mind that there's some long running franchises out there (boy Hollywood does love 'em), only in cape comics is it normal for 90% of the top content to be stuff that's been cementing its spot for decades. Like in 2016, the top rated shows on ABC were Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy, and The Goldbergs. Not stuff created back decades upon decades ago like Superman and Batman.

We're weird.
>>
Whitewashing basically means white guy in a role they think an asian person would be better in no matter what the source material is.

They accused The Great Wall of the same thing even though asian people literally wrote the part for Matt Damon
>>
>>91100135
Women are terrible at everything. We tolerate them because of their vaginas.
>>
>>91099763
Why does it matter?
>>
>>91100099

Yeah, no one would fucking care except irrelevant academics trying to "use" their "degrees".

There can be an Asian crimeboss ffs.
There can be Asian wiseman.
There can be villainous Asians.

Only insanely oversensitive white people have a problem with this.

As long as it isn't all overtly exploitative or cartoonish in its kung-fu stylings, it's fucking fine. Just treat it with respect.
>>
>>91098486
>"No, women. You are the misogynists!"
>And then women were The Patriarchy.
>>
>>91097351
There is no controversy. The people who tried to make this a race issue are the most shallow, valid, racist dingbats to ever spread their nonsense on the web.
>>
>>91100170

and the whole wall problem..it was hilarious hearing about Matt damon being against walls..while in a movie about the Great Wall.

Sometimes life gives you lemonade.

>>91100157

There is a lag, you're right, right now they're just getting to characters that were created in the 90s. So they're lagging by several decades.
>>
>>91100076
what about Vietnamese, and Filipinos? Also even with assimilating, Asians are still a different race that will always separate from Caucasians
and dear god, hapas have it the worst in terms of identity
>>
>>91100079
Luke didn't get a movie. Ant Man, Hellboy, Daredevil, The Mask, Constantine, Ghost Rider, Punisher, The Spirit, Kick-Ass, Jonah Hex, the Green Hornet... even if we do decide to go with Luke, there have been a lot of superheroes getting movies in between Blade appearing on the big screen and Luke getting a show.
>>
>>91100283
>and dear god, hapas have it the worst in terms of identity
Pssh, they get the best of both worlds. If they're more white-looking, they belong to whites. If they look more Asian, they can join up with them. And they can always flip-flop when it suits their agenda.
>>
>>91100203

It reminds me of the shitstorm with Runaways and how the big "twist" is racist because Alex is black.

Which led to people trying to push the traitor role on one of the other kids and starting a new shitstorm with the new offended group.

Nico = Yellow Peril
Chase = abused kids seen as untrustworthy
Molly = Can't trust children
Gert = evil fat people

it was stupid and at that point you wonder if they're a fan or if they just want to bitch.
>>
>>91100289
There's the Halle Berry Catwoman. :^)
>>
>>91097898
I'm not even British and I'd like to see a King Arddwr that is Welsh, not English.
>>
>>91100283

You're right in that we brought Laotians and Vietnamese back with us and basically plopped new asian groups into the fabric and obviously you have Hmong, Filipinos from when we used to run the Philippines, and many other groups that have come in, I wasn't being comprehensive so much as giving examples.

>>91100283

I just mean they don't have a cohesive identity because of various differences between the groups besides being seen as 'exotic' or mutts. I mean it depends on your viewpoint to, I'm a white guy and my only experience is either through family or people at school so I have no clue how they view themselves or their worldview.

The few I hung out with used to joke about being fresh off the boat and shit like that but beyond that..

I guess the original question should have when more like 'what is identity'
>>
>>91100203
Pretty sure you're wrong. You're posting in a thread where an Asian actress went to Entertainment Weekly to say how it was hard for her to star in a show where a white actor played a white character that happened to have spent time in Asia. Ben Kingsley specifically demanded that the Iron Man 3 writers not make his character a stereotype. You really think nobody but some silly academics would care about Fu Manchu (or a stand-in that's doing the exact same thing) on screen?

Shit, whoever they got to play the part would be doing 20 interviews a week about how much it hurt their soul to cash the paycheck.

I like Shang, but come on, if Marvel wants to give a show or movie to an Asian character he's not the place to start.
>>
>>91100323
You'd think so, but that really isn't the case. Identiy issues are very common in mixed people
In most cases it's; you're not Asian looking enough to be Asian and you're not white enough to look white.
You're both but you're also neither.
Let's not get started on why your parents even get together either.

I suppose what hapas have an advantage in is being more aware of race and racism.
>>
>>91098109
The problem is, every shithead who has this idea decides that his family is from K'un Lun, so he's "reclaiming his heritage" or some shit, which isn't part of who he is.
>>
>>91100406
>what is identity
It's something we all search for, sometimes other people have a harder time search for when there is no base.
>>
Y'all do realize that the creator of Fu Manchu did write in his books that Fu being evil was tied to his race? It wasn't "he's evil, and he happens to be Asian," those are legitimately racist books.
>>
>>91097891
Please go back to /r/AsianMasculinity and take your views on Asian women with you.
>>
>>91100385
>King Arddwr that is Welsh
Meh, why the fuck do people harp so much on a Brythonic mythical figure when there's legit Welsh heroes in history? Like Owain Gwynedd who defeated Henry II's invasion attempt or his grandson Llywelyn ap Iorwerth?
>>
>>91100424
>Let's not get started on why your parents even get together either.
What's this supposed to mean? White guy or girl fall in love and marry an Asian girl or guy. They have kids and start a family.
>>
>>91099042
>@PG_kamiya Why do your games objectify women?
>>
>>91100490
And? We aren't talking about those books. We're talking about a theoretical adaption of a character tied to a version of Fu Manchu (or a character based on him) written by a different writer.
>>
>>91099689
You do know most of the stunts and morphed sequences in Power Rangers came from a completely separate Japanese show right?
>>
Fucking, critics are being too harsh on Iron Fist. It's not less faithful to comics than other crap Netflix series.

However, from storytelling point of view, Iron Fist has disgusting case of telling and showing when it NEEDED to show more. In a lot of ways it went exactly how I thought a Netflix show about Iron Fist would go, but in others I see how casuals who never picked a comic might not follow whole K'un-Lun shit, about how Danny was treated there, why he wanted to become Iron Fist. My only gripe was that they shouldn't have made Danny seek vengeance upon Harold this fucking late.
>>
>>91098109
>>91098139
>>91098144
>>91098159
>>91098472
>>91100463
The best way is Danny is just an orphan, he is abandoned as a child in some backwater China because a plane crash or whatever, and is taught in the way of the Iron First style
He still remembers America and eventually returns to see his hometown is crime ridden
He's not some savior of Asians, he's not some chosen one, he's not even the best in the martial art.
He's just a guy who learned this magic martial art and uses it to fight crime in America. He only likes black chicks too
>>
>>91100601
And you recall the American actors used to actually do stunts and out of costume fighting regularly in the Mighty Morphin era, right?
>>
>>91100632
lame
>>
>>91100539
fetishism is not love
>>
>>91097916
>Would you guys rather Danny be white, but a shitty actor who can't do martial arts at all, or non-white (doesn't even need to be Asian), but is an amazing actor that is skilled at martial arts?

Is it even a choice? Would I rather have a shitty lead actor with weak choreography in a show about martial arts or would I rather have a strong lead actor with great martial arts experience? I don't give a shit about race in this case. Make Danny white, black, Asian, Hispanic, fucking Aboriginal, idc. Just give me good acting and "The Raid" tier fights.
>>
>>91100539

I think he means that some mixed people often think that their parents only got together because they have a fetish each others race. Just go look at r/asianmasculinity.
>>
>>91100632

>Going against colleen for cheater misty

nein. though I do think most of your changes make sense.
>>
>>91100682
oh like yellow fever doesn't exist and there aren't Asian women who aren't' self-hating
I'm for love is love, but how often is that the case?
>>
>>91098379
>Colter
>actor
He literally was just being himself on set. Otherwise he would've fucked off.
>>
>>91100556
We're also talking about PR. First rule of PR: do not go fucking near the most racist shit possible. It's just asking for trouble. Just leave that shit alone.

It's sad that Marvel has so few notable Asian main characters that people have to keep going "okay but what about Shang Chi? Yeah I know his dad is Fu Manchu, but it's not like there's other characters we could do!"
>>
>>91100669
If you don't give two shits about the character and his story, why not just watch some Kung Fu flicks?

There's kinda a fucking lot of them.
>>
>>91098417
If she had kept on fucking him she'd probably be A list now, or dead
>>
>>91100682
>r/asianmasculinity
>implying those autists amount to anything
Outside of really old guys marrying mail-order brides, I highly doubt there's fetishization in normal Asian/white couples.
>>
>>91100756

You're arguing about something when most of these characters were made, Vietnam was going on. Asians were hated, badly.
>>
>>91100732

I never denied that Yellow fever is a thing. It sure as hell is, but I can't really comment on how many WM/AF relationships are made from the "love is love" case or just due to yellow fever. There's a hell of alot of baggage when it comes WM/AF couples, too many negative connotations associated with them, just like BM/WF couples too. It doesn't surprise me that all those negative connotations fucks with the heads of their offspring.
>>
>>91099647
>no one ever remembers Jimmy Woo
>>
>>91100848

To add onto my point, you go from fighting Japan in world war 2, to Korea in 50s, which were fighting north koreans, chinese and russians, then into vietnam which also had laos, cambodians, vietnamese etc.
>>
>>91100732
There's no point to this argument because all people are bringing in is their own perception of the issues. There's no actual information to bring in from outside people's personal perspectives.

My AW/WM parents are very in love and and have been for decades. My Asian grandfather was apparently a bit of a dick, but I've never heard my mother or her siblings say a thing to imply he didn't love my white grandmother. I know yellow fever is a thing and I know there's a disconnect between some Asian women and the wider Asian populace, though I'm not sure "self hating" is the right term so much as I've heard the reason be "the Asian men I know keep treating me like shit." But what does any of that shit mean to me? My parents have a happy life, my Grandparents had a happy life. There's really no purpose to trying to create some kind of blanket statement about these kinds of relationships without any real information at all. All we have is that sourceless divorce infographic people like to post.

Even if there was, what would it accomplish? "Make sure you're not getting into a serious relationships with someone who's not serious about you?" You should be doing that any way.
>>
>>91100883
Agents of SHIELD stole Jimmy's thunder. There's not much room for "The best SHIELD agent that isn't Nick Fury" when we've had several seasons of "The best SHIELD agents that aren't Nick Fury".
>>
>>91100658
Is it really fetishism if you're also into black girls, gingers, Indians, Latinas, Arabs, Irish girls, other Indians, all the various types of Asians, blondes, Jews, German accented white girls, French accented white girls, Russian accented white girls, those girls who are vaguely ethnic but you can't really tell exactly what they are, girls in wheelchairs, and brunettes?
>>
>>91097351
>Gais, gais, it's OK, I am 13% (insert minority) so it's OK guys, just shutuiahimean chill guys.
>I know I never talk about it before and many white guys had said the same thing, but imma being honest, yes sir.

Ugh, why did that became a thing!?
>>
>>91100811
>>91100872
Hapas are 34% more likely for mental issues
https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/biracial-asian-americans-and-mental-health?id=8732
http://www.napafasa.org/resources/Multiracial%20AAPI%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448064/
>>91100933
>My AW/WM parents are very in love and and have been for decades. My Asian grandfather was apparently a bit of a dick, but I've never heard my mother or her siblings say a thing to imply he didn't love my white grandmother
well then your mother isn't Asian, she's mixed. So it still is kinda different. You are 1/4th Asian, your mother even being AMWF hapa
>>
I really hope that she doesn't get heat for this.
>>
>>91097351
>The Asian community

Really though, the fuck does that even mean? What "Asian" community? They fucking hate each other.
>>
>>91100968
>Frenchies
>Slavshits
>Germans
>Jews
It's degeneracy.
>>
>>91101037

She tagged on something at end of statement to make it sound alright so I'm sure she'll be fine
>>
>>91098875
>it's the white savior narrative of a 70s character they're complaining about.

Danny was never a white saviour though. He only outperformed the other potential Iron Fists because he had a stronger motive (revenge) and the longer his story went on, the more it became obvious that Yu-Ti was using him and kind of hated him.
>>
>>91097351
>WE COULDA HAD AN ASIAN DANNY RAND
How would this have improved his character? To what end? For what purpose, other than to diversify and pander?
>>
>>91101053
""""asian"""" americans
>>
>>91101053
Asian American community
end of the day, what is even that?
>>
>>91097898
>couldnt deal with the MC being asian
Thats horse shit and you know it. He's a product of 1970's cheesy kung fu flicks after they made their way stateside. He wasn't made white to stick it to the gooks.
>>
>>91101103
>He wasn't made white to stick it to the gooks.
I didn't say he wasn't, I said he was made white because white audiences can't accept non-white protagonists
>>
>>91101029
>well then your mother isn't Asian, she's mixed
You know that doesn't matter when it comes to these things. When you get comments like "oh your English is so good!" I think it qualifies for saying that they're under the same kinds of societal pressures.
>>
File: SC-vsIF.jpg (282KB, 962x1452px) Image search: [Google]
SC-vsIF.jpg
282KB, 962x1452px
>Want Iron Fist be Asian
>Stereotyping Asians as Martial Arts expert

why?
>>
>>91101148
and you're still wrong
>>
File: 13769633090358.png (64KB, 299x208px) Image search: [Google]
13769633090358.png
64KB, 299x208px
Doesn't matter. Show will still get a S2.

Stay mad.
>>
>>91097898
>couldn't deal with the MC being Asian
If his music is good, I don't care what race the MC is.
>>
>>91101148
But Shang-Chi existed several years before him and sold better.
>>
>>91099093
>conga line of reviewers keep calling the adaptation racist
They all hate it for SJW reasons. They're using that as an excuse to call it out for the same kinds of problems they conveniently ignored for JJ and Luke Cage.
>>
>>91101166
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement, though. Don't most Netflix series get continuations, even the absolutely shit ones?
>>
>>91101176
c-clearly thats because asians were buying the book!
>>
>>91099130
>Nobody calls out on Asians when they don't cast blacks, Hispanics, gays or whatever

They do call them out for casting Matt Damon, though. That was racist!
>>
File: yellow (2).png (346KB, 937x683px) Image search: [Google]
yellow (2).png
346KB, 937x683px
>>91100883
More like Jimmy Who
>>
File: 1484182217137.png (583KB, 521x621px) Image search: [Google]
1484182217137.png
583KB, 521x621px
>>91101189
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage got glowing reviews and were dogshit.

Doesn't matter. We won.
>>
>>91101189
It depends on views. And IF had more than LC and JJ.
>>
>>91097351

I'm sorry but how is this even still being discussed?

First; Danny Rand was white in the comics and has always been white, making him white in the TV show isn't "whitewashing" it's accurate depiction.

Second; This is a no win situation for the studio. Cast a white dude as the lead role? Cultural appropriation and you should have cast an Asian actor. Cast an Asian actor in the lead? What a surprise, Asian actor goes missing and comes back year later having mastered Kung Fu, how absolutely fucking racist.

Third; Isn't the whole deal behind Danny Rand's origin story that of cultural acceptance? Even in the first two episodes you can see a strong underlying theme of Danny coming home to feel like he doesn't belong in a culture he grew up in and instead finds shelter and acceptance in a culture he adopted.
>>
>>91101200

considering this site was built on weeaboo blood, I find this comment hilarious. i cum
>>
>>91097898
This tbqhfamalam
>>
>>91101161
>Why?

Because classes in martial arts are pretty normal parts of gym class and extracurricular activities for schoolkids in Japan, Korea, and China, even now. In the United States of America kids are too busy dodging bullets.
>>
>white men win again in something business related regardless of leftist media

What a shock!
>>
>>91099647
>So what characters that ARE Asian in the Marvel comics should Marvel give a show/movie to in the Cinematic Universe?

Mantis is in GotG 2.
>>
>>91101081
So basically, lost sheep that think tofu teriyaki, lo mein and a steaming bowl of phở are proud corner stones of their "heritage".
>>
>>91099689
>Or how about the Power Rangers

No, sorry, MCU filled their Power Rangers quota casting a junkie for Jessica Jones.
>>
>>91098109
Fuck that, he doesn't visually stick out nearly as much compared to K'un-Lun and the other Immortal Weapons.
>>
>>91101293
end of the day food is the only benefit of diversity
>>
>>91101182
>They hate it for SJW reasons

And it should've been child's play to disarm them with SJW arguments. This is the section of the Marvel Universe where a white guy is pretty much adopted into an Asian family, and becomes best friends with a black guy, while dating a black woman that's best friends with an Asian woman. This is where Marvel's level of representation and cultural politics is STRONGEST, and they fucked it up. Whoever is in charge of Marvel's PR needs their ass fired. Along with lots of other people that worked on thus because yeesh, what a stinker.
>>
>>91101240
Tbh I think both criticisms are legitimate, though taken to ridiculous extremes. The only "win" scenario from a rational standpoint is if one of the asian characters is used as an alternate protagonist. That way it deflects both the "oh asians aren't good enough for a lead role" and "oh of course the martial arts master has to be asian" accusations. Even that wouldn't be good enough for the gibbering hordes of SJW morons though. Not sure if the show is doing this already because I heard it's trash and I'm not watching it.
>>
>>91100157
>The Goldbergs

80s Movies References: The Show is not a great argument about how novel non-comics are.
>>
>>91098304
Fate is shit in general and badly mangles history.
>>
>>91098938

>Why is it the duty of a white culture to produce games based on other cultures. Make them yourself if you want that.

Where can I buy this man's games?
>>
>>91098109
This idea is so bad it gave me cancer.

Just... just fucking take the character that's been popular for fucking decades, and accurately translate him onto the screen, adding a few things if you like but not changing the fucking fundamentals. Jesus fucking Christ, why is this so fucking hard for people to do? Why do so many people look at characters that have lasted in the crucible of public opinion for years upon years, that have survived a gauntlet of what's basically one focus group appraisal after another, and still find it within themselves to go "the people that wrote this are idiots, I know better"?
>>
>>91101264

That's the whole point of Iron Fist....he's not from fucking Asia
>>
>>91098371
>No reason why Stephen "My last name doesn't make sense anyway" Strange can't be latino.
Why don't you make new things instead of changing existing ones? Fuck your "representation", what do you expect from a white-majority country?
>>
Are SJW upset that Davos wasn't Asian too?
>>
>argue that Danny needed to be white for the fish out of water background he had growing up in K'un Lun back when Danny was first being cast
>the show doesn't even fucking show any of his upbringing in K'un Lun
>>
>>91100788

I'm only on episode 3 on "Iron Fist" so I apologize if I'm being ignorant of various plot points.

My point is, I'm not seeing anything currently that really makes it so that Danny has got to be white. His plot with the Meachums hating him can still proceed as planned, his struggle integrating with society can still go as planned, his romance with Colleen can still go as planned. I don't care that Danny's white and I think the faux controversy surrounding the casting of a white actor for a canonically white character was legit retarded. I'm fine with Danny being white, I'm fine with Danny being race-swapped and having the exact same storyline. But I feel like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a martial arts centered show and have weak-ass martial arts.
>>
>>91101494
>getting mad at PoCs
um, this isnt the dark ages Cletus
>>
>>91097992
You got it man.

No seriously, people never think beyond options A & B.
>>
>>91098109
>Grace Randolph's idea
>good idea

kek
>>
>>91101510

Because when you change large, basic things about the character, it stops being that character and it becomes something else.
>>
>>91101494
Wait, the son of Kei Kung isn't asian?
>>
>>91101548

The actor is a mix of paki and something else. He's 'asian'
>>
>>91101598
Looked like a dune coon to me
>>
>>91101673

Well we call them eurasians but whatever. they're in that blob next to and above India.
>>
>>91097891
I assume you're the one who writes that Single Asian Female comic strip or whatever from years ago.
>>
>>91099452
That is a problem, yes. Especially jarring with shit like Gal being cast as Wondie despite not fitting the role at all.
>>
>>91099349
>"nearly right, a little below" levels of representation statistically.
Blacks are hugely overrepresented in media. Are you fucking crazy?
>>
>>91101412
>Implying that Attila the hun wasn't a stripper
>>
>>91097491
Sounds like something the much more prosperous Japanese comic and animation industry does day in and day out, and never once draws controversy outside of westerners sticking their nose in business they have no reason to be in.
>>
>>91101081
Basic bitches complaining about museums doing kimono exhibits.
>>
>>91101413
Good news, anon.

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/
>>
>>91101461

Did you fucking ignore the sentences I wrote right above that? I just fucking said that "let's just change the races of some popular characters" is a terrible idea. I was pointing out that even if you ignore that it's a terrible idea to try and create representation by changing character's races, Iron Fist is near the top of the list of characters that are the least suitable for race-changing. Changing Dr. Strange into a Latino is a terrible way to try and get some variety among superheroes. It would be moronic. But it would be vastly VASTLY less moronic than trying to change Iron Fist into an Asian man. Making Hal Jordan black would be dumb. It would be less dumb than making Black "clearly tied to Russia" Widow into anything other than white.

Race-changing is a bad way to try to address the shortage of nonwhite main character superheroes. But even with that in mind, some characters would be even worse choices than others, because being white (or Russian, or Italian, or whatever) is part of their story, and Iron Fist is one of them.
>>
File: Karatekid.png (180KB, 300x394px) Image search: [Google]
Karatekid.png
180KB, 300x394px
can Karate Kid beat up Iron Fist?
>>
>>91101855
>in business they have no reason to be in.

Nope. Americans are a big part of the profits from anime/manga/vidya. Sort of like how China is a big part of sales for Hollywood.

They're free to ignore what we say, of course, but if we're regular paying customers that make up a sizable chunk of their profits we're allowed give input.
>>
>>91101937
Karate Kid could beat up a planet of Iron Fists. Don't ask stupid questions.
>>
>>91101950
>Americans are a big part of the profits from anime/manga/vidya.
They're not terribly small, but I recall a recent profit breakdown showing China actually beats the US in Anime/Manga sales and both still lose out to Japan.
>>
>>91101950
>anime/manga/vidya

...No? I can maybe give you video games to some extent, but rarely do westerners influence anime and manga.

I'm sure you're going to try and give some exceptions, like how Saint Seiya is almost solely produced for the Latin American market, and things like The Big O got a second season due to Cartoon Network, but those are exceptions to the rule.
>>
>>91101903
Sorry anon, guess I was hot tempered about that. There was a mong around here who kept insisting that Iron Fist and Dr Strange be made latino.

>tfw only representation of your country is a dead, clawed manlet and a man made of cancer
>>
>>91098763
>We cannot make a Chinese character hero or villain cause we cannot just not associate the fu mam chew allegory cause we stupid.
>.....And we wunts that Chinese moviegoers money's
>So we get offended in behalf of the wrong guys.

That's how we got not-mandarin and whitewashed mentor from Dr strange.
>>
>>91100501
>It's fucking real

What the fuck
>>
Thats nice, but when are thet going to talk about the real controversy

The bad kung fu fight scenes controversy
>>
>>91100501
>asianmasculinity

Now there's an oxymoron.
>>
>>91101983
Sure, not saying we make up most sales or anything, just enough that it's silly to go around all "we shouldn't tell them what to do". We're customers. Not the only customers, not the majority of customers, but it's just smart business to try and please as many customers as possible. The whole "don't tell Japan how to make things" is like a weird flipside of the "don't wear Japanese things, it's cultural appropriate" nonsense. We exchange money to exchange goods, we're allowed give feedback.
>>
File: 647934-21.png (555KB, 791x637px) Image search: [Google]
647934-21.png
555KB, 791x637px
>>91102145
Hey now, just because there's a bizarre victim complex in the West and East Asia's got some kind of moe and bishonen fetish going on now doesn't mean they're incapable of have manly men.
>>
>>91097351
>"yeah I really understand that fucking conversation"
>"what's his name really hits it out of the park"
>"I'd love to see an Asian superhero"
>"three quarters of my body weight is white dna"

more effort went into thinking of ways for her to sound sincer while saying nothing about the sjws mess than the first two episodes of dialogue from their show
>>
>>91102245
At this point I'm convinced anyone that comments on this is just baiting for IRL (You)s
>>
>>91102274
(You)
>>
>>91102174
>We're customers.

More often than not we're more comparable to dirty Eastern European pirates who never spend a dime on anything worthwhile. How many people watch their shit on KissAnime, and then go to the thousand different sites that host manga chapters?

Meanwhile, in Japan, it's expected for hardcore fans to dish out hundreds, if not thousands, on merch and BDs, if you want even the slightest hope for a second season. That Crunchyroll subscription the odd person may or may not have amounts to squat when it comes down to things.
>>
>>91102050
I did not say that. I was annoyed that they turned Mandarin (and Bane, and Ra's al Ghul) into white guys. I said Fu Manchu specifically is just pure PR poison, and replacing him with another character while rewriting that character to be basically Fu Manchu with another name is not a fix. Nobody would be fooled. They would go "okay but that's still Fu Manchu, you just changed the name". And they would be right.

Mandarin could've been done well. Damn shame that they didn't draw on Haunted, where he was a guy obsessed with creating a perfect human race with extremis, and decided he was okay with a shitload of people dying (including himself) to get it. That would've been a much better story.

Nothing wrong with an Asian villain, nothing wrong with an Asian crimelord. But Fu Manchu is a PR Chernobyl just waiting to happen, and swapping in another character's name isn't a fix.
>>
>>91102213
That's because Japan lost it's balls in regards to masculinity.

Blame the cuteness obsession.
>>
>>91098247
I don't see that as a problem at all. He could be Asian American and still have the exact tastes and spoiled upbrining playing rooftop Monopoly like a Rockefeller that we saw in the show, and yet still a foreigner dropped in K'un-Lun. It wouldn't matter what he looked like, he'd still be from another world, another culture, and would struggle to fit in even if he "looks the part." He would be as much an outsider when dropped back into New York from everything he's undergone.

So for Danny sure it wouldn't need to change how he feels like an outsider in either world and has trouble readjusting. The kicker, though, is how other people perceive him which will change if he looks Asian and flips into kung fu mode. Then ironically instead of being surprised most would think he's finally become a proper Asian. Is that a major difference? I doubt it would change any of the actual plot.
>>
>>91102355
>just make him not such a fucking propaganda villain
I don't really see why this is so hard for you. Get a prominent Asian actor, someone with some real cred behind him, to play a charismatic villain. Have them talk about how this is a step foward for representing what Asian actors are allowed to do and be and contrast it with how things used to work.

I mean, we have a DC comic where an Chinese American just went "yeah lets bring back our oldest villain and don't tone down the yellow peril design at all." You're so concerned about how much shit people will give that you've lost sight of the fact of how much good PR swings these things.
>>
BLEACHED
L
E
A
C
H
E
D
>>
Can we all agree that the main problem of Iron Fist lies with Scott Buck and had the show been made by someone competent, no one would give a fuck about these moronic "critcisms"?
>>
>>91098934
Remember when Jim Carrey told people not to watch Kick Ass 2
>>
>>91102562
Yes.

>>91102600
That's cause he's a nogunz lib faggot.
>>
>>91102469
>Why can't we use a character whose name is literally considered a slur?

I have on idea why you don't see this as a public relations disaster waiting to happen. With Mandarin Marvel got some heat just when they announced the villain. The guy playing the role went around letting people know that he had demanded that Marvel not write The Mandarin like Fu Manchu.

>Get a prominent Asian actor

And what do you do if the actor goes on TV and says "I took the money but this was racist as fuck, don't go see it"? You're posting in a thread where an actress said in interview it was "hard" for her to take a role when there was far less to be upset about.

Fu Manchu is a dead end.
>>
>>91099390
That's one hell of a false dichotomy
>>
>>91097351
>I’m Asian
Well you don't look like Turkic to me
>>
>>91102674
>make character be the evil chinese crime lord he is
>but don't give him buck teeth, vampire hands, and big bird yellow skin
why can't this be understood?
>>
>>91102562
I don't know if every issue I had with the show can be blamed on the director, but most can yes.
>>
>>91102772
>But what if we give a new paintjob to the character widely acknowledged as one of the top 10 most racist characters in existence?

Because underneath that new paintjob he'll still be one of the biggest PR nightmares possible, just waiting to happen.
>>
>>91100601
They did all their stunts when they would fight putties outside of costume. Jason David Frank and Austin St. John were both had multiple black belts when they started filming Power Rangers. That's why they were cast in the first place.
>>
>>91098875
>created by people like you to downplay

The OP of this thread links an article citing the show for whitewashing you fucking idiot.
>>
>>91102885
just throw out some "we're past that as a society" shit
if the shows actually good they can't talk shit
>>
>>91098076
>king arthur gets cucked by a black guy
pls no
>>
>>91097840
Black hair is not a racist caricature.
>>
>>91098076
You people ready for female Merlin and Gareth later this year?
>>
>>91097772
I think by far the bigger insult to asian culture was half assing the martial arts.
>>
>>91103051
Lots of Asians dye their hair.
>>
>>91103075
please tell me more about this, unironically interested
>>
>>91097898
Yes, the same racist white people who didn't mind a huge ass 100% macho nigga always hanging out with Danny
>>
File: CM3Uc5eVEAAneBS[1].jpg (62KB, 600x372px) Image search: [Google]
CM3Uc5eVEAAneBS[1].jpg
62KB, 600x372px
This triggers the black man
>>
>>91103118

Well I'm not that anon and I'm only an observer but isn't the whole idea behind Kung Fu literally "mastery in whatever you ascribe to do" mastery, discipline, essentially the things that make up respect and honor and foundation behind their ideas "Gung fu" or however they pronouce it?

Seems to me anon hinting at this is kind of an insult half-assing it in itself. It would also be reason why other asians working behind the scenes might be insulted by Finn jones work ethic.
>>
>>91103157

Not only thing but he's a transatlantic funky white boy that grew up in someone elses culture and hangs out with a buddy who was wrongly imprisoned who also happens to be black and one of his main love interests in a black chick.
>>
>>91103198
Actually, I think it's cute.

They're going to have cute blasian babies.
>>
>>91103198
I always liked their relationship.
I hate that the writers ruined their relationship with the whole 'fake Chi baby'.
>>
>>91103020
It's okay, King Arthur is also an evil patriarchal shitlord.
>>
>>91098076
Didnt know Moors and Africans lived in ancient early medieval England, and that English people would accept them as knights.

King Arthur truly was progressive, the one true king. Too bad he paid the price.

Seriously? With the context alone of Lancelot being a black guy and Gwynevere?
>>
>>91103437

Everything on Once upon a time is who needs reason, Fantasy/magic etc
>>
>>91098076
>meanwhile, in Britain
>>
>>91103476
Black people ever doing anything civilized is truly the apex of fantasy.
>>
>>91103495
Where's the burqa?
>>
>>91098076

Lancelot was French, dude. And Saber was retarded decision to get more waifus into the game.
>>
>>91103682
>Lancelot was French, dude
So he was white
>>
>>91097721
>I don't think he would have gotten half the shit he has if Clinton did win.

Then why aren't people mad at Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne?
>>
>>91103702
People are mad at Bruce at the moment, for that "I'm rich" line in the justice league trailer
>>
>>91102355
>I said Fu Manchu specifically is just pure PR poison, and replacing him with another character while rewriting that character to be basically Fu Manchu with another name is not a fix. Nobody would be fooled. They would go "okay but that's still Fu Manchu, you just changed the name". And they would be right.

It's kinda like how the Japanese design a character with OBVIOUS blackface aesthetics, like Oilman and instead of redesign it, they just made him purple or blue and his lips yellow, and expected that to not being blackface cause it's purple now gais!

>But what about the features?

Welp, he is purple / blue now gais!

Yeah I think it's about the bigger picture, shit Archie comics refused to show his gigantic lips in the MegaMan comics despite being yellow now.
>>
>>91103682
And they kept doing it.

I wouldn't mind if they indicated it had an effect on history.
>>
>>91103702
People within the movie universes never like Tony or Bruce.
>>
>>91097916
Iron Fist is white, therefore the actor should be white. Seems real fucking simple to me
>>
>>91103702

Strangely enough I brought up the fact that nolan batman is basically Iron fist without the iron fist. And nobody bitched that league of shadows made him into a better asian fighter than everyone else. And the leader of the asians was an irishman named Liam Neelson.
>>
>>91103834
The character of Iron Fist is racist / white saviour trope and created in the 70s as a way to cash in on the kung-fu craze without putting an Asian face on it. It is similar to how Bruce Lee couldnt get cast in Hollywood productions (he was passed over role for Kung Fu that eventually went to David Carradine), so he went to Hong Kong and became an international star there.

Marvel decided to not update the character for today and stuck with an awful twink white actor that is getting horrible reviews, getting laughed at, and is considered the MCU's 1st 'FLOP". Congrats on not changing the character ...
>>
>>91103912
I think you are on the wrong website, snowflake
>>
>>91103912
they did change the character you fucking mong, that's why it's shit
>>
>>91103872

There's a fundamental difference between Iron Fist and Bruce Wayne. Bruce isn't automatically better than everybody else in martial arts, he largely has to resort to dirty tactics that the League uses in order to win. Bruce also actually finds sort of peace and guidance from his Asian travels, and his former teachers are revealed to be evil who need to be fight against, where as Iron Fist acts like a kid with a temper tantrum problem who doesn't seem to learn anything but martial arts from his masters, and needs Claire to set him straight because muh childhood trauma PTSD.

>And the leader of the asians was an irishman named Liam Neelson.

It's set up that Ra's al Ghul is actually just a fake name that the current leader of the League assumes, and I might be wrong here, but the League isn't just full of Asian people. They just happen to be situated in Asia.
>>
File: rehyedshsdf.jpg (1MB, 750x1160px) Image search: [Google]
rehyedshsdf.jpg
1MB, 750x1160px
>>91103912
LOL
Whatever you say retard
>>
>>91103999

oh liam neelson is ra's al ghul, and even gets multiple asians to be his stand in boys including ken wantanabe

its a masquerade to keep legitimacy. did you not watch the movies?
>>
>>91103999

they're a fucking army of ninjas, how much more culture stealing can you get? are you trying to convince yourself?
>>
This is the 1st of the Marvel Netflix shows that has utterly dull action and be almost completely devoid of a signature style: Daredevil was about bringing the Marvel universe to the streets, Jessica Jones had a neo-noir style, Luke Cage went for an retro hip-hop angle, etc. Iron Fist? At best, it has the same basic aesthetic as the non-Japanese footage of an Power Rangers TV episode.

But the main problem is the character Danny itself - dont know if it is the actor or writing. How they decided that the “realism” of Iron Fist would essentially be “frat-bro” who takes off 1 semester to find himself backpacking across Asia, comes back home thinking he’s a guru, opening a yoga studio while not shutting up about his Yoga routine… I cant believe anybody would like this character. Nevermind the actor has ZERO charisma.

AWFUL TV show and deserves all the bad reviews it is getting.
>>
>>91104062
That was just part of the deception.

>>91104076
>they're a fucking army of ninjas, how much more culture stealing can you get?

They boast that they've been destroying corrupt cities and empires all over the world for centuries. They're a global force.
>>
>>91104126
>reposting from reviews
Faggot
>>
File: chocolate tits.jpg (33KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
chocolate tits.jpg
33KB, 630x420px
>>91100632
>Only likes black chicks.

So he has supreme taste.
>>
What's Entertainments stance on the actual white washing of Light Yagami and Matoko Kusanagi?
>>
>>91100632
Awful
>>
I don't get it, isn't Danny Rand a white guy in the comics? Did someone want an Asian with dyed blonde hair acting like a Caucasian?
>>
>>91104232

Isn't Death Note set entirely in the US now? Nothing about it really requires it to be set in Japan, apart from the Shinigami concept, which is hardly a deal breaker when the source material itself has fucked with the concept.
>>
People defending not asian Danny is literally a hypocrite. You guys support white ancient one but don't support asian Danny.
>>
>>91104279

Would have been vastly preferable to Finn.
>>
>>91104291
What do you mean "now"?
>>
>>91098076

Merlin was the son of a devil, mind you. Why couldn't he be black?
>>
>>91097414
music is a bit loud
>>
>>91101442
>just fucking take the character that's been popular for fucking decades

Like every martial artist character, he's been a niche character for decades who can't support his own book. There's been a slight resurgence in the past decade in interest, but that doesn't change the fact he's always struggled to get real popularity.
>>
>>91098208

But Faiza is just the new bearer of Excalibur, she's not literally Arthur.
>>
>>91097351
Fredzilla: whitewashing
Honey Lemon: whitewashing
Ancient One: whitewashing
Iron Fist: not whitewashing, let it's the one that gets the most heat
>>
>>91104371

You weren't aware of the Netflix movie?
>>
>>91104534
and Danny is the new Iron Fist, not litteraly Bruce Lee
>>
>>91104566

It didn't make her the Queen of England. Just a chick with a magic sword, and she was far more being the best sword(wo)man in the world.
>>
>>91098274
>There's nothing ground breaking about an asian doing martial arts

There's nothing groundbreaking about the white savior narrative that Danny is a prime example of, either. Quite the opposite.
>>
>>91104641
But Daniel Rand is not a white savior trope.

He is one of MANY Iron Fists. There will be many after him. They have free reign to do whatever the fuck they want, Danny just fights street level crime in New York.

Stop using false terminology to spread bullshit narratives.
>>
File: 1470799032071.jpg (82KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1470799032071.jpg
82KB, 630x630px
>>91098076

>BLACKED and a magic negro

how progressive
>>
>>91098371
>Iron Fist is one of the handful that really fucking need to be white.

No, he needs to be an outsider in Käun-Lun in some form and fashion. Being white doesn't really play into it other than as a visual cue. He could just as well be black. And dating openly a black woman or partnering up with a black dude isn't really that big of a deal anymore, like it was in the 70s when you were living in the middle of the civil rights and black power movement.
>>
>>91097351
bullshit
how many Aussies are in american films and tv
how many black people in Japanese films and tv
how many danish people in phillipines movies and tv
this whole argument is bs
>>
>>91104829
>how many black people in Japanese films and tv

There's like three black actors living in Japan who are not doing porn. And they are known to be pretty racist. There's just less demand for diversity due to the "must be part of the group" cultural mentality, and amount of actual minorities living in Japan who pursue entertainment careers versus the native population.
>>
Where's my representation, huh?
The only time a Lithuanian character ever got a main role in a TV series, you hired a fucking Dane to play him.
lel, just kidding I don't care
>>
>>91104862
that is what i mean a majorly while country like France is going to have more white people in movies, its not racist its just how it is
>>
>>91100601
You do recall there were scenes where they fought out of costume, right?
>>
>>91104877
white
>>
On a tangentially related note, do those people praise Into the Badlands for its casting choice?
>>
Me sad when Danny Land not Ching Fu.
>>
>>91104921
How good is that show by the way?
Keep in mind that I don't care if the plot is shit as long as it's not Scott Buck-tier idiocy and boredom.
>>
>>91104939
not enough kung fu to much boardroom
lots of filler
ok but not daredevil
>>
>>91104939
The plot is fairly interesting and I think it did its anti-hero thing pretty well. Fights are mostly good if sometimes cheesy. The setting doesn't really even tries to make sense though and is all about cool factor.
>>
>>91101306
Don't forget the angry Russian guy in dd
>>
>>91099647
>Amadeus Cho? C'mon, he sucks when he's not palling around with Hercules, Thor, Hulk or someone.
Which is it should be a Hercules Show instead.
>>
>>91105050
It's really fucking sad that he's far more interesting than Bakuto.
>>
I'm asian and I get super frustrated with calls to make Iron Fist asian.

its about a white dude who gets raised in an asian culture and goes back to america and doesn't fit in anymore.

I can relate that! I live in the west and when I go back to hong kong its super different and kinda weird. Every call to make Iron Fist asian american seems to almost entirely be about "wah gwai lo cant be good at kung fu thats OUR thing. ALSO stop pigeonholing asian actors into martial arts roles!"
>>
>>91105290
Shoulda made him an arab
>>
>>91105681

But then the racial dynamic between him and Luke would be lost.
>>
>>91101898
>>91101413
>>91098938
This is the guy making Kingodm Come? Double sold. Maybe I'll shell for merch or some shit. This is like the only thing other than banner lord I've been hype for in like half a decade.
>>
>>91099095
t. """civil""" race traitor
>>
File: Nip Goes Nuclear on SJW Weebs.png (320KB, 906x1678px) Image search: [Google]
Nip Goes Nuclear on SJW Weebs.png
320KB, 906x1678px
>>91102300
This.
>>
>>91105788
>fucking gaijin
>they won't pay for my anime
>AND they want it not to be shit
>they're killing the industry!
Holy fucking shit, slant.

>REEEEEE gender roles
How is a society wanting to be what it is and having confidence in what that means anti equality?
>>
File: 1453580275317.gif (663KB, 440x247px) Image search: [Google]
1453580275317.gif
663KB, 440x247px
>>91105788
>The western market contributes to less than 1% of the anime industry
Well maybe if the Slant eyed Nips would send expand their market more and make it available to buy entire series in a box set then maybe we in the west would buy more.

Hell Europeans are shit out of luck when it comes to anime
>Madoka
>Moe
>>
>>91105820
Madoka is moe. Stop pretending CGDCT is the only moe. It wasn't aimed at the shoujo crowd, that's for fucking sure.
>>
>>91105896
Oh yes I nothing is more moe then losing your head

Wait I was wrong, the true moe is a person finding out that their body is an empty shell.

No no no that is wrong as well. The Ultimate moe is a person being locked in a time cycle while desperately trying to save their only friend while at the same time cursing said friend to an worse existence

oh who am I kidding. The true perfect moe is the irony of the wish you wanted being the cause of your own downfall.
>>
>>91105945
>implying the distance between her jaw and her neck isn't gap moe
But really, it's evident you don't even understand the term moe because you think 'butcher's low tier suffering plot somehow precludes the show from moe in its entirety.
I forgot I was on /co/ and am likely talking to a toonami fag
>>
File: 1452072397401.jpg (41KB, 600x710px) Image search: [Google]
1452072397401.jpg
41KB, 600x710px
>>91105969
I know moe, and I know that Madoka is not moe.

See this shit? This shit right here is Moe
>>
>>91105737

That racial dynamic hasn't really been there for couple of decades now apart from being visual.
>>
>>91106004
As of last year on deadpool. Luke cage was a jive talking black man and if was a funky white boy
>>
>>91106024
>Using Deadpool as an example

Intentional caricature jokes aren't exactly the best argument.
>>
>>91101221
>We won.
Who's "we"? What did you win?
>>
>>91097377
She's full Asian in the comics. She's half Chinese and half Japanese. You can just tell by her Chinese surname and the fact that she's a descendant of a samurai clan, come on.
>>
>>91106107
It was done seriously.

>>91106133
She looked white in comic pages
>>
>>91097898
>Characters like Iron Fist are pretty shitty, you aren't seeing Asian King Arthur

King Arthur is a single character with his own mythology.
"Kung Fu" isn't a character. Anyone of any race can go out and learn martial arts and be a master at it.
If a modern day Asian super hero was some badass expert at HEMA, the only White people who'd bitch are stormfags.
>>
>>91106133
They should have just kept her Chinese/Japanese mixed. Now they have this convoluted thing where she was born in China but is half white and moved to Japan after her mom died to study samurai martial arts for no reason.
>>
So, let me get this straight.
If it was about an Chinese guy practicing Systema somewhere in Ukraine but the quality of writing was still the same, would anyone bitch as much?
>>
>>91106301
That makes more sense than Danny being taught Chinese martial arts while living with Tibetan Buddhist monks at K'un-Lun, employing Hindu meditative practises and referencing Edo-era Ronin Samurai traditions to try to get a position to teach at Colleen's school - thus assuming a kendo school should also teach kung fu. There's also the spontaneous Chinese street festival which shows participants with Japanese kabuki masks.
>>
>>91106350
All Asians are the same, obviously.
>>
>>91106359
Should've made Iron Fish a Yakut.
>>
>>91106301
That's slightly plausible. At least Russia and Ukraine have shared martial arts traditions such as Sambo and Ukraine itself was a part of the Soviet Union. China is also right next to Russia. There's been ethnic Chinese in Russia since the Qing dynasty.
>>
>>91098148
This is the dumbest post I have read in quite some time. Comic readers especially would love to see the story they know and love be put on the screen verbatim or as close to it as possible.
>>
>>91097916
why not make him Shang-Chi
>>
>>91106350
>Chinese martial arts while living with Tibetan Buddhist monks
Imagine the Dalai Lama kicking ass
>>
>>91106428

Because Shang Chi does not have the same name recognition as Iron Fist, and he has far less interesting gimmick: being Marvel's diet Pepsi Bruce Lee whose father we cannot talk about because we don't own the rights. Plus he has almost no comics we could see (the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu reprints are a small miracle).
>>
>>91106384
We need more North Asian representation.
>>
>>91106350
I haven't watched the show but yikes, I didn't know they mixed up the Asian cultures that much.

>>91106510
Yeah, people just see North Asia as Russia's freezer. There are a lot of interesting indigenous people in Siberia.
>>
File: 1490485229378.jpg (102KB, 916x690px) Image search: [Google]
1490485229378.jpg
102KB, 916x690px
>>91097898
nice strawman my dude
>>
>>91106350
>tibetan monks teaching martial arts
What the fuck?
>>
>>91100501
i know linking to reddit is frowned upon, but OP's post is like textbook r/AsianMasculinity. Full of Asian American cucks who are mad at non-Asians 'stealing' their girls.
>>
>>91106181
i didn't mean exactly King Arthur the character, just the arch type, or even just a descendant
>>
>>91103437
moors were north african
inb4 moor means black
anything darker than pink would be considered dark and thus black
either way if you really want to go with the meme moors are black, why make Lancelot black? pretty sure there was a moor in the round table anyways
>>
>>91097844
Labour is hyper SJW and socialist.
>>
>>91097898

that would be neat
>>
>>91099401
>barely accept non-euro immigrants until the fucking 60's
>muh melting pot
>>
>>91097891
Not to bring youtube or /v/ into this, but I know a youtuber whos exactly like you said here hes a bald white dude married to an aggressive up her own ass korean woman and its sad how whipped the dude is.
>>
>>91106428
The danger is that most Asian action stars are wee tiny little funny looking boy-men who cannot act and cannot hold the screen. Witness Into The Badlands, where admittedly everyone is miscast as fuck.

Also it is fucking terrible, even with good choreography.
>>
My wifee is Chinee from Tokyo town. She big yelling all the time! Ho ho! Me do laundry now.

Seriously, I'm Chinese Amelican and I actually work at a fucking commercial laundry. My wife is a Chinese expat I met in Tokyo. She really yells a lot. Some stereotypes are borne in fact.
>>
>>91108113
Which one?
>>
>>91097898
Shang-Chi literally disproves your post. Are you even trying?
>>
>>91100545
BLOCKED
>>
>>91102050
The Ancient One is tibetan
>>
>>91097891
I take it that you've been very angry about this for a while now.

Oh, you're not fooling anyone, whitey.
>>
>>91097891
Pretty much this
>>
>>91097898
The halfwitted racist dumbasses here aren't going to reflect on your factual post. They'll post lame attempts at humorous and edgy post like the Chan bandwagoners they are while denyjng the fact that IF was always a derivitive character, and whether the actor was white, Asian, or female, the show was terrible and deserved three quarters of the negativity it recieved. The last quarter is what the racist bozos blow out of proportion, as if the only thing critics have to complain about is the fact that Danny is white.
>>
>>91097744
Honestly, I think Asian characers are easy to whitewash because we're only 5% of the US population. Not much dissent or protest to be had when you're the minority of all the minorities
>>
>>91110832
Of course, lemming. Of course.

As if the Caucasian dumbasses here in this thread aren't using their white priviledge to complain about not being overrepresented enough.
>>
>>91110991
All the more reason for them to have representation in the culture at some point.

Leave no culture behind. Never mind simply appropriating material from said culture and attempting to make it you own, which is not what Iron Fist itself does - at least not outright.
>>
>>91106572
All the assholes upset with Henwick need to go first.
Thread posts: 512
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.