[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Jewish food /ck/ There has to be more to it than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: Matzo.jpg (3MB, 3548x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Matzo.jpg
3MB, 3548x2592px
Redpill me on Jewish food /ck/

There has to be more to it than matzo balls and gefilte fish
>>
>>7286035

Read the culture of critique by kevin Macdonald
>>
latkes, bagels, lox, various dumplings, challah cost, etc
>>
>>7286040
so basically eastern european food?
>>
>>7286035
Here's a little thing you can do. Take a map of the Mediterranean and draw a vertical line bisecting it just east of Italy. Everything to the right of that line is more or less the same cuisine differing only in the details.
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7286057
interesting
>>
>>7286035
>Jewish food

No such thing. Jews aren't real.
>>
File: 1451710719719.jpg (248KB, 960x686px)
1451710719719.jpg
248KB, 960x686px
pomegranate on everything...

and Chinese take-out
>>
There's no such thing as "Jewish" cuisine any more than there is Catholic cuisine, Buddhist cuisine, animist cuisine or atheist cuisine.

All these foods people consider to be "Jewish" is just because during and soon after WWII, many Jews from devastated central and eastern Europe fled to the US, GB and AU. Their cuisine is identical to the national cuisine of where they came from less pork and mixing meat and dairy.
>>
>>7286183
It really isn't. Ashkenazic cuisine differs a lot simply because of how stringent dietary laws are and how isolated eastern European communities were.

>WHAT IS JEWISH FOOD?

For most Jews, it's going to be Eastern Europe/Central European cuisine, and then weird bits and pieces considered traditional for shabbos days. Why? Because you have mashed balls of fish because you can't separate or remove things from food on shabbos. Because you can't begin cooking anything on shabbos there is a huge amount of slow cooked meals and stews. Because most Eastern European Jews were poor as fuck, the quality of food in itself is really quite sure. Then you get into even more little annoying shit about what is traditional.

Sephardi Jews are okay, but mingled more with their native populations and lived amongest Muslims with similar laws.

Source: שלום גּוֹי
>>
>>7286238
>quite sure
Quite shit.
>>
>>7286035
>eating the kosher jew
>>
>>7286257
kosher hot dogs are the best widely available premium dog you poncy nonce
>>
>>7286312

>>replying to a troll
>>
File: oYzAsqB.jpg (10KB, 256x256px)
oYzAsqB.jpg
10KB, 256x256px
>>7286315
>implying
>>
>>7286035
>Redpill me
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1452632594875.png (227KB, 314x438px) Image search: [Google]
1452632594875.png
227KB, 314x438px
>>7286083
>>7286336
idiots.
>>
>>7286238
>waaaaaaaaah!!! ashkenazim were poor so they didn't eat the same as the other slavs!!!
lol
All the other Slavs were poor, too. The only difference is that the other Slavs kept pigs for eating while Ashkenazim did not.

>waaaaaaaaaah!!! lighting a fire on the sabbath is forbidden so Ashkenazim didn't eat the same as the other slavs!!!
lol
What's the difference between a slow-cooked meal started before the sabbath and one started any other day of the week? You know that Ashkenazim didn't invent slow-cooking, right? You know that other Slavs also ate slow-cooked foods, right? You do, don't you?
Also, that's why bastirma was adopted by Ashkenazim so readily, too. So they can eat cold meat and pickles on leftover bread on the sabbath without breaking commandment. Oh, and guess who else routinely eats cold meat and pickles as a meal? That's right! All the other Slavs. salorawonionsandpickledcucumbersonryebread.png

Literally every example that can be given as "Jewish food" as understood by the English-speaking world is just food from central and eastern Europe that all central and eastern Europeans eat. Every. Single. One. Except maybe gefilte fish and lox, which are northern European in origin and carried over to eastern Europe after the Jewish expulsion from Germanic countries in the Middle Ages.

Jews in my country eat generally what the rest of the country eats, only because they're not Ashkenazi, they consider poultry to be parve and, as such, is fair game to eat with dairy.

There is no such thing as a unified Jewish cuisine. There is only central and eastern European cuisine as made by central and eastern European Jews.
>>
File: round_challah.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
round_challah.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
Matzo brei, kugel and challah are the bombalamba (carbs ahoy)
t.goy
>>
>>7286035
Brisket son, and latkes
>>
pastrami.
>>
>>7286606
That's the perfect example of an Eastern European food which has recently come to be viewed as a "traditional" Jewish food thanks to mid-20th century immigration.

It's a corruption of "cured/preserved" in Romanian.
>>
I stupidly bought a jar of sweet gefilte fish last fall when it was on sale (just thought I'd try something new), and it's just sitting there in the pantry staring at me every time I open it. I'm not jewish. How the fuck are you supposed to eat that stuff?
>>
>>7286627
This.
Most people don't realize it's of Romanian origin.

Fuck, I love pastrami, though. I cure, season, and smoke my own, and it's godly. Once the rainy season slows down, I need to make some more.
>>
>>7286057
also south
>>
>>7286627
I don't see it as Jewish... but maybe it's because I'm not from the east coast. I just see it as deli food.
>>
I had a Jewish GF a long time ago, and I gotta say matzo balls are the SHIT
I mean I know its literally just dumplings and broth, but her mom had added so many seasonings and spices that it was like sex in my mouth
That fish shit though.. ugh. It didn't look very appealing at all.
>>
>>7288616

What's it like having a Jewish gf?

I'm Jewish, but grew up in an area where it was basically just my immediate family that were jews.

After a handful of gf's over the years it sounds comfy as fuck to find someone who can make matzo ball soup from scratch, even though I really don't know anything about the heritage other than what my parents showed me with the food at a young age.
>>
>>7286035
Jewish food is just Eastern European and Balkan food brought to America by jews. None of that shit is unique to jews.
>>
Kugel is very good. I make it every year. This is my favorite recipe:
http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/05/sweet-lokshen-kugel/

Here are some other things:
challah:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6760/challah-i/
changes: add entire packet of yeast, double the honey, use 1 whole egg plus three yokes, and add honey to the egg wash. very good

charoset: this recipe can vary a lot, but this is the one i like. serve with matzo. Make sure you use Manischewitz wine, it's very sweet wine and you need it for the right taste. It is cheap so you might as well get it.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/traditional-apple-walnut-charoset-234298

tzimmes
make these then guilt everyone into taking home leftovers when no one actually eats it:
http://www.food.com/recipe/my-mamas-carrot-tzimmes-72788

I could probably come up with some others, if you guys like. I cook this stuff often enough and these are the recipes i personally follow.
>>
>>7288642
Actually, I'll post at least a few others.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/03/holiday-brisket/
It's not rosh hashana without brisket. I absolutely love this. Bit costly to make, but it's great for sharing with family.

http://www.sophisticatedgourmet.com/2009/10/new-york-style-bagel-recipe/
Bagels and...
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-own-lox/
Lox! Only old people eat this, usually. I still like it.

http://toriavey.com/how-to/2013/11/how-to-make-crispy-latkes/
latkes of course. serve with applesauce. To be honest, most people just make the kind from the box mix. it's good too.
>>
>>7288610
>woody allen exists
>still doesn't associate delis with Jewish culture
>>
>>7288858
>italian delis are now jewish because woody allen
That's perhaps the dumbest argument I've ever seen.
Just face it: there is not a single food unique specifically to Jews beyond charoset.
>>
>>7286035
It tastes good
>>
>>7288864
>X is associated with Y therefore all X must be Y
Nice strawman.
Given that most of America's oldest delis were founded by the Jewish community it would be odd not to associate their quintessential foodstuffs (pastrami, corned beef, lox etc) with the Jewish community. The fact that it's all just typical central/Eastern European fare which they brought to America with the possible exceptions of gefilte fish and matzo is beside the point.
>>
>>7288894
>because the X-est Ys are owned by Zs, all Ys are associated with Zs!
Nice strawman you've got there yourself!

But here's a few facts for you: the vast majority of delis in the US are neither owned, operated nor frequented by Jews, the most popular "deli" meat in the US is ham, which is forbidden to Jews, the most popular deli sandwich throughout the US is the hoagie/submarine sandwich, which is associated with Italian-American culture and /not/ eastern European Jewish culture and pastrami, corned beef and lox are not specifically Jewish foods.
How's that? Feeling factually enriched yet? Or do you want to still try to claim that there's such a thing as "Jewish food" and that delis are the dominion of the Yehudim?
>>
>>7288927
Why are you shilling this hard? Is the JDF so petty they monitor cooking boards as well?
>>
>>7288956
>tfw you're so retarded, you think borderline anti-semitic comments are promoting the jewish defense league
I mean, I don't know that feel myself but you clearly do.
>>
>>7286630
With cherain and mayonnaise bro.
>>
>>7286035
American Ashkenazic Jew reporting in. 'Jewish' food depends on which Jews you're talking about. Foods like braised brisket and perogies can be considered Jewish foods even though they regional cuisines.

Just off the top of my head, here are some 'Jewish' foods, this is not to say non Jews don't also eat quite a few of these:
brisket, corned beef on rye (no cheese or dressing), challah, matzo ball soup, latkes, matzo brei, honey cake, blintzes, perogies, knishes, kugel (potato/ noodle) hamentashen, rugelach.... the list goes on

Chabad.org has a good database of recipes, organized by holiday or dish type
>>
>>7288616
They have chicken fat (schmaltz) in them which helps
>>
>>7286035
Kreplach, Yerushalmi Kugel, Tzimmis, my mom's Challah, Chopped Liver with egg salad.

Ashkenzi Jewish food is all poor people food mushed together. It's scraps made into deliciousness
>>
Wheat tortilla is jewish cuisine.
>>
>>7286057
>differing only in details
Yeah, big fucking details, in case you've never been to the east Mediterranean.
>>
>>7286238
>>7286183
Jewish food obviously refers to mainly Levantine cuisine
>>
What a gas!
>>
File: 1370485420543.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1370485420543.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>7286035
I was actually just about to make matzo ball soup.

I've read conflicting things on how to cook the matzo balls though. Some people say not to add them to the soup as it simmers, some people say it's fine. I don't really know if I have enough chicken broth to simmer them by themselves though.

Advice, /ck/?
>>
>>7286312
>go to five guys burgers and fries
>order the kosher dog
>with bacon

Every now and then I get a raised eyebrow from the cashier.
>>
>>7288927
Are you stupid? Jewish delis definitely are a thing. That doesn't mean that all delis are Jewish, though.
>>
>>7290699
We always make the chicken soup and then cool it off to skim the hardened fat off the top. Then, when we reboil it, we add the matzo balls. They come out a little denser this way cuz of less cook time. If you want super fluffy ones though, you can just parboil them in regular water (put spices in it) and then finish them in the soup
>>
>>7290542
>inb4 HURR BUT THESE AREN'T UNIQUE ONLY TO JEWISH PEOPLE
>>
>>7290718
I should add that I make the matzo balls and then flash freeze them till the soup is ready. When you plop them in frozen they stay stuck together so you can use a fluffier recipe and still keep their shape.
>>
>>7286144
>pomegranate on everything...

I thought that was caucasians (the stans) and Iran.
>>
File: 1432205700270.jpg (34KB, 493x533px) Image search: [Google]
1432205700270.jpg
34KB, 493x533px
>>7290718
>>7290727
Okay, so here is what I'm feeling then.

I'll prepare the dough tonight, and let it sit in the fridge until tomorrow evening.

Then while I simmer everything and cook the chicken, I'll take out the dough and form the balls.

Then after the chicken has cooked, I'll shred it up, toss in the balls, and simmer for another 20 minutes. (I'm following a budgetbytes recipes desu)

I think that sounds good.

Anybody know if it's cool to store the soup with the balls still in though? I read somewhere they soak up all the broth
>>
>>7290716
lel
>>
>>7290717
And yet, some moron proposed that because Woody Allen is of the tribe, delis are associated with Jews. He didn't say 'kosher delis' or 'glatt delis' or 'kosher style delis.' He said 'delis.' Which is fucking dumb. And you're just as dumb for missing that point.

>>7290644
See? That's what Yehudim do. Get kicked out of/willingly leave X-place and move to Y-place, taking X-place's cuisine with them which promptly gets called "Jewish food" by the locals living in Y-place.
Then, when Jews have settled in Y-place long enough, the local cuisine is appropriated too once they start to leave and live elsewhere.

When Shekelland was founded, Ashkenazim brought their disgusting culinary repertoire from central and eastern Europe with them.* Then, when they were exposed to decent cookery, they adopted the dishes and relabled them wholesale. Not a single Ashkenazi had ever even heard of hummus, skhugh or falafel before the migration to the Levant, yet these are foods labeled as "Jewish" in all sorts of places across the world now.
You know what? No.

There's no such thing as "Jewish food."

>>7290722
Doesn't need to be unique, but the difference is that the dude acknowledges this. Native Jews from my country don't eat any of that stuff because it's not in central or eastern Europe. Know what they eat? The same shit the rest of us eat, less pork, certain seafoods and meat with dairy.
Actually, that's another way our Jews differ. Being neither Ashkenazim nor Sephardim, the local interpretation of kashrut differs in that poultry is considered parve along with fish.

* Not to imply that central and eastern European food is bad. It isn't. Just that Ashkenazi interpretation of it is bad because muh dietary laws.
>>
Huh? You mean auschwitz cuisine?
>>
>>7290799
Form the balls before you put them in the fridge/freezer. I leave them on a plate. And honestly, I rarely have leftover balls but yeah it's fine. They aren't sea sponges, your soup isn't going to disappear. They get a really rich dark flavour the second time they cook
>>
>>7286040
>challah cost
heh
>>
>>7290530
Thanks for the answer, much appreciated, but.....now I have another question. What's cherain?
>>
File: 1409624100477.jpg (25KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
1409624100477.jpg
25KB, 275x275px
>>7290876
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7290899
Fuck off tumblr
>>
File: download (1).jpg (10KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10KB, 190x265px
>>7290894
Horeradish and beet dip (salad?). There is sweet cherain and sharp cherain. Personally I think sweet cherain is disgusting but I love spicy food. Also, some people mix the cherain with the mayonnaise and then smear it on the fish. I am not a fan. I slather cherain on top of the piece of fish and then dip it in a bit of mayo. Also, the next time you get gefilte, don't get sweet gefilte. And, if you don't like it this time, don't write it off yet, jarred gefilte really isn't great. You need to try better gefilte fish. Get a frozen loaf and boil it with carrots.
>>
>>7286183

but Buddhist cuisine is definitely a thing anon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cuisine
>>
Do jews prefer to cook with electricity or gas?
>>
>>7290947
cheeky but the real answer is whatever is cheaper
>>
>>7290932
I knew someone was gonna bring that up.
"Buddhist cuisine" is no more a thing than "Ital cuisine" IE it's a series of dietary rules and restrictions and not a specific cuisine.
Anything can be made into "Buddhist cuisine" by simply following the philosophical guideline set out, just as anything can be made Ital by following those specific philosophical giudelines.

The same is true of kosher, halal, jatka and "non-karmic" cookery.
Follow the guideline and everything is fair game. They're not cuisines outright. Theoretically, one could serve Doritos and Cheez Whiz and that would be Buddhist cuisine.
>>
>>7286183
atheist cuisine. now im curious
>>
>>7286035
Abraham and cheese sandwich.
>>
>>7290876
As a point of order, delis are associated with jews. Real delis (meaning ones not associated with supermarkets or chains) are generally assumed in the American zeitgeist to either be Jewish or Italian (with generic Eastern Europeans as a trailing third). So, yes, delis are associated with Jews. There's not a one-to-one comparison or anything, but if you said, "I have a friend who owns a deli," your average American asshole would guess his name was "Ira" or "Luigi" over "Owen".

>>7286035
However, >>7290876 has a strong point. The Jewish people have spent a long-ass time being forced from one country to the next. And in general, Jewish people don't actually want to stand out too much from the general population, so they eat what the locals eat. However, families will still make what they enjoyed in the last country, which becomes thought of in the local's heads as "the weird stuff the Jewish family eats", which they assume to be "Jewish food".

So there's a couple things that are generally understood to be Jewish, for right or wrong, but overall, the cuisine of any particular Jewish family/neighborhood is the result of the travels of the ancestors of that group.
>>
>tfw girlfriend is jew
>tfw find jew food boring and tasteless AF
>tfw her parents think i hate them because I never go over for dinner

"matzah" is literally fucking saltine crackers.

shit tier food desu
>>
>>7292153
Skip the dinner then anon and just eat some based rugelach and honey cake!
>>
>>7292153
>eating that any other time than Passover

Nigger are you stupid? That's not even supposed to taste good. Go to an actual deli and see how much tasty food is there. Not some fuckin tasteless piece of shit people only eat because of "muh tradition."
>>
>>7286040

kek
>>
>>7290876
>because Woody Allen is of the tribe, delis are associated with Jews
Clearly you didn't read what I said very closely. I never said that delis are associated with Jews because of Woody Allen, I said that delis are associated with Jews and pointed to Woody Allen's obsession with them as evidence of that.

The rest of what you say is pretty much spot on except that central/Eastern European Ashkenazi cured meats were fantastic, though I imagine the techniques and ingredients for that would have spread to the Levant via Turkey long before Israel was founded.
>>
>>7291546
Doritos and Mtn Dew
>>
File: 1451407142400.png (27KB, 2924x1882px) Image search: [Google]
1451407142400.png
27KB, 2924x1882px
Uh. So my matzo balls are a little soggy even after refrigerating all night... I popped them in the freezer just in case to try and form them up a bit better but I'm slightly concerned.

Did I mess it up and should I try it again? I just feel that when I toss them in my soup, they will disintegrate.
>>
>>7293180
Freeze them and put them in frozen
>>
>>7286035
Most jews only eat kosher at home or even just at their parents' home.
>>
>>7293473
Will do senpai. Will report back with results later tonight.
>>
>>7292906
>central/eastern european cured meats are delicious
Yes. They are. Ashkenazi interpretation of them, however, is absofuckinglutely not because they don't use pork.
I don't know why there's this American goy obsession with beef salami, beef hot dogs and beef this, that and the other because they're wholly disgusting compared to their all-pork counterparts.

Unless you're implying that pastrami/bastirma and corned beef are central/eastern European, because they aren't. Delicious as they might be, they're unknown in those areas except to Romania due to its proximity and history with Turkey, their area of origin. Even Bulgaria, the European nation culturally and culinarily closest to Turkey, doesn't really know those things.
>>
>>7293180
That image is only reserved for use on /v/ and soup threads anon.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.