[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone on /b/ with a computer science degree or in the process?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 291
Thread images: 24

File: 1412237264157.jpg (108KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1412237264157.jpg
108KB, 480x640px
Anyone on /b/ with a computer science degree or in the process?

I want to get into software development/ design.
Any info would be great.
>>
Lol got my degree last week.

The thing I learned is that you don't need a degree in computer science to develop software. I think something like Java Certification would get you programming faster and for less $$$.
>>
>>595408650
I've heard that often, that you don't need a degree really.
I've been told it's nice for companies to look at, but ultimately they look at your creativity, problem solving, etc.

I'm teaching myself HTML and CSS right now, Java is next. It's just hard gettting started by yourself you know?
>>
If you know HTML and CSS, JavaScript is the natural next step, not Java. You can make the server side with node.js if you want.
>>
>>595409240
I'm slowly disgusting myself. For some reason I'm starting to enjoy match classes, programming is also surprisingly enjoyable.
>>
File: 1417992195691.jpg (1MB, 1809x2385px) Image search: [Google]
1417992195691.jpg
1MB, 1809x2385px
>>595408650
>>
>>595410025
In the process of teaching myself.
So once I learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. where would I go from there?
Just personal projects, volunteer to build a portfolio?
>>
File: 1412237833955.jpg (79KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1412237833955.jpg
79KB, 480x640px
>>595410207
this chick is so fine
>>
>>595408650
You don't really need too much guidance once you understand the basics of a language. I use Java because I'm still green, but it wasn't too complicated to understand, and there's always some online resource to use.

I would highly recommend checking out codeacademy.com to get the feel of it. I did about 8% of JavaScript class/course and enjoyed it, so I decided to try out programming I.

I'm in programming II and my major is Computer Science.
>>
>>595410421
WOW haven't seen that one before. Name?
Sauce? More?
>>
>>595410309
Are you in college? There's so many fucking job/internship/volunteer opportunities available to college students.

I applied for the FBI's cyber intership this summer, and I'm going to apply for Port Authority too just in case.

So much shit just for being a college faggot.
>>
>>595408650
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHUALlAvnUc
>>
Next step is to prove that you know what you are talking about to HR people. I recommend certification, open source projects on git hub, and participation in the community, like mailing list, irc channels, stack overflow, and so on...
>>
File: 1412238392828.jpg (685KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1412238392828.jpg
685KB, 1936x2592px
>>595410615
No idea.

I've been too lazy to image search.
>>
>>595410842
I've done it and I can't find any info. Keep posting all you have and I will keep looking.
>>
>>595408650
I have a masters from MIT in comp sci, and 10 years in the VFX industry. What do you need to know?
>>
>>595410510
I'm like 30% through HTML/CSS, I love CodeAcademy.

I plan on taking some Programming and a computer science course this fall.
Anything I should know before going in? Like certain math skills, etc?
>>595410744
I was, but I had to leave to take care of my father who had brain cancer.

I'm going to go back to school this fall to start everything off.

I plan on looking around for those interships, etc. Thank you anon!
>>595410821
could you go into a little more detail?
Still learning everything on my own.
>>
File: Certificates To Consider.png (68KB, 492x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Certificates To Consider.png
68KB, 492x1148px
>>595408650
Maybe check out these certificates. I'm thinking of fucking around with one of the cisco certificates.
>>
File: 6z7Mngo.jpg (633KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
6z7Mngo.jpg
633KB, 2592x1936px
Found this
>>
those of you saying you don't need a degree... this is true, and is true for most things. if you want to have the same education as a graduate you better fucking bust your ass full time understanding computer science concepts and actually BUILDING things to show people. I'm not talking about glueing shit code together. School will give provide you with networking and force you to expand your thinking into areas you wouldn't normally go in. Some may or may not be useful immediately (english, calculus, physics, chemisty, statistics) depending on the industry you work in. You could always learn this on your own but you need to FUCKING BUST YOUR ASS. I can spot a shit coder from a mile away.

source:
graduated 3 years ago from software engineering
team lead at a company valued at +10 billion
making $140k per year (top 95 percentile in my area)
>>
>>595411440
>Like certain math skills, etc?
Really depends on the Professor. My last professor was very lax on math, she rarely made us use formulas in homework.

My current Professor doesn't fuck around. He's a math/computer science teacher. Holy fucking shit this guy expects you to know every formula off of the top of your head. I'll probably just go full retard and memorize formulas and how to execute them.

Very rarely will you have to do anything too math intensive. Computer Programming classes are oddly logical.
>>
>>595411035
Sadly those pics are all I have.
I'm sure /s/ or someone on /b/ knows.
>>595411324
Ultimately?
I want to get into wearable tech. Design the UI for software, etc.
Forefront of the future of tech is exciting to me, and i know there are probably so many people that say they want to do that too.
So learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is next after that.
What tips would you give me that you can't learn in a class or on your own?
Ways of getting one step ahead?
>>
Ethical Hacking / Pentesting Student here :)
>>
>>595411594
Wait....can we go into a little more detail on these?
This sounds interesting
>>595411833
See what you described
>software engineering
team lead at a company valued at +10 billion
making $140k per year (top 95 percentile in my area)

THAT is what I want....I want to be apart of a team that busts ass and tosses out a product that matters.
I want that feeling so fucking bad, but standing where I am, alone, and looking up isn't exactly the most encouraging thing, ya know?

>>595411985
thank you, I'll keep all that in mind
>>
>>595411440

For example. I was working with a library in python called scrapy in my last internship. The people that develop that library created a chat room in Irc for people to exchange ideas there. Someone looked up my ip address there and found out that I was in the area and asked me to go to their company to talk about a job opportunity.

About open source software, you could fix some bugs and talk about that during the interview. Since open source projects have all the changes documented they will be able to see your work.
>>
>>595412297
Cyber def major?
>>
>>595411833
When I was applying for the FBI internship they asked if you had a certificate in any of those.

I know for a fact CISCO is on some G level shit.

One of my friends coworkers works for some reputable company and gets paid 80k a year just because he has a handful of cisco certificates.
>>
>>595408650
>>595410207
>>595410421
>>595410842
>>595411672

Who be dis fookin niggress?!
>>
>>595413304
No idea.

Fucking saved them here though - http://imgur.com/a/XqaW8
>>
lol programming looks like a very easy field to enter.

But I still hate when my programming skills are not appreciated and I am considered equal to someone that does not even know how to make a compiler.
>>
Any tips and recommendations for preparing and finishing the math especially discrete math classes? Like, any tips how to suceed in them rather good?
>>
>>595412438
>>>595411833
>See what you described
>>software engineering
>team lead at a company valued at +10 billion
>making $140k per year (top 95 percentile in my area)
>THAT is what I want....I want to be apart of a team that busts ass and tosses out a product that matters.
>I want that feeling so fucking bad, but standing where I am, alone, and looking up isn't exactly the most encouraging thing, ya know?

i know, i was there 8 years ago starting my first year of school. heres my university career summed up:

first year:
i knew shit about programming "whats an array?!? im failing mechanical eng class, this is too hard". told myself that i would finish school no matter what
second year:
found a friend to help me out (really nice and smart guy). i made sure i worked just as hard if not harder than him on project we were working on together. still struggling with school

third year:
pick up ruby on rails, start a startup with my friend. incubate at a popular startup. everything i learn is on my own. reading the fuck out of ruby/rails and still gonig to school

fourth year:
still working on startup and its not going so well, it fails. learned a shit ton about business and what not todo

fifth year:
finish off school hating it, want to build things

1st job, dev, 3 months, sucks ass. i sell myself as a professional in interviews

2nd job is better, intermediate dev, 1.5 years, aways learning and contributing my design knowledge. when i tell them im leaving for my 3rd company, they want to give me a 30k raise to stay

3rd company, senior dev to team lead in 11 months. i love it here. looking to be in management role soon

also fuck certificates. they make you look like a idiot. if i interviewed someone and they had a certificate and they didn't need it for the role, id be like "really"?
>>
If you can code you're gold...degree is helpful but means jack shit if you're looking for someone to hold your hand on the job. i have a degree, one of my coworkers never finished highschool...but he's an awesome coder.

temp agencies keep sending us lame ass dicks who have the degree but act like babies, they don't last in our field.

be the man who can be dropped into a burning house and code his way out...be the one who gets the job done.

so many companies looking for talent here, hard to find. i am cozy in my job but get tons of offers for other companies.

rule of thumb, if you have the talent to code, then you can earn.
>>
>>595414073

As far as I know USA goes really easy on the math part. You just have to do your homework as far as I know.

Other countries, I think you need to take that very serious. My advise would be never use the book recommended by the professor, specially if it is called concrete mathematics. Grab a easier one and be happy.
>>
>>595408650
The way you do this is, odd as it seems, Anon, by doing it and the problems are basically all there for you to solve.
But whay is even more odd is that you would actually ask such a question. Do IT - one problem at-a-time.
>>
>>595410510
I couldn't disagree more.

Software Engineering is the closest thing to a traditional trade in the professional world. Having someone that can mentor you is way more important than any tutorial.
>>
>>595408650
My Dad has acomputer science degree, he worked for Amaco for 15 or so years and now he owns his co-owns a poll-barn construction company.
>>
>>595414808

You know what they though me in Software engineering class?

Shit.

I can learned much much more by reading a good book on the topic.
>>
File: file.png (8KB, 334x198px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8KB, 334x198px
>>595414530
>>595414073
In the U.S you usually need the book for economic reasons, as well as for practical use.

All of the courses at my college use Pearson Books, and the online service MyMathLab, used to use WebAssign but moved towards this.

You need the assigned book to do well with the homework, as well as get the online code, and also be familiar with the problems in the book. Most of the testing material will come from the homework and book.

The textbooks are actually pretty fucking good. I use them to supplement what the Professor glosses over.

Also, I don't know how or why, but once you get to Calculus shit gets easier as opposed to harder. At least that's how I feel at the moment.

>pic related.
>>
>>595414237
Wow, thank you.

That sounds exactly like I thought it would.
I have to fail along the way to learn, but knowing it's apart of the process is nice.

I think once I'm out of the mud and can actually understand everything I'm doing then it feels like I would be able to then start completely busting my ass.
>be the man who can be dropped into a burning house and code his way out...be the one who gets the job done.

I like that hah.
>>
>>595409240
last week? Your degree comes around mid January?
>>
>>595410309
Put some projects you like on GitHub or something. Some employers value stuff like that. Especially in the "start up scene"
>>
>>595415294

It does in my country.
>>
>>595415231

I didn't say you should take classes. I said you would learn more by doing it with the supervision of a mentor.

School isn't really about learning anything. It's about proving that you have the tenacity to stick with a shitty situation for 4-5 years.
>>
>>595415251

just to give you an idea of what i mean by "bust your ass". i've spend more time programming and learning then i have on entertainment in the last 8 years. sometimes you will feel like trying to learn something new like like moving a brick wall. honestly, just keep pushing forward. take different approaches. come back to it after a couple days rest. eventually it becomes second nature and you are the expert. you will stare at code for 6 hours trying to debug when you first start out. those 6 hours end up reinforcing what not todo and that has made you a better programmer.
>>
File: desk.jpg (62KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
desk.jpg
62KB, 720x540px
>>595415908
>School isn't really about learning anything. It's about proving that you have the tenacity to stick with a shitty situation for 4-5 years.

Personally enjoy school. I really like history and politics, but I don't want to be homeless so I'm majoring in computer science.
>>
3rd year of school right now for Computer Science.
>>
>>595415908
THIS! also, gives you the opportunity to network and learn how to learn and work under pressure. spend your time learning useful stuff. not everything in school is useful
>>
>>595414530
>>595415244

There isn't the 'one' book I can work through beside the lectures since the professor assigned a bunch of books. He said to these that we should pick the one which "suit us the best". That's okay, but the problem is following: there are some things in the lectures which aren't covered in the books and must be found elsewhere.
Especially it lacks the problem sets and exercises you'd normally do to get it really down. Just solving the homework alone didn't do for me.
>>
>>595416288
I took care of my father, who passed from brain cancer, for a year straight. 24/7 I wiped him up, bathed him, did everything for him.

I found him the morning he passed.

NOTHING in my life will ever be harder than that.

I'm willing to learn and work, plus I enjoy solving shit and getting things to work smoothly.

Thank you anon.
>>
>>595416371

>Personally enjoy school. I really like history and politics, but I don't want to be homeless so I'm majoring in computer science.

I did too. School was awesome, but if you're STEM don't think that classes will ever prepare you for what you'll encounter in the professional world.

Someone else brought up a great point though, there are some great books about being a better engineer. Read 'Clean Code' or really anything else by Uncle Bob. If you could combine (Uncle Bob) Martin, Fowler, and Feathers into a single tome it would be a programming bible.
>>
>>595416591
>Just solving the homework alone didn't do for me.
It did for me personally. There's enough variation to cover all bases. I did A LOT of homework last semester. Average problems per week was about 80.

Some weeks were easy, but even then it was time consuming. Its just fucking exhausting at times. Didn't help that I was taking 7 classes last semester, with one of them being an almost 20 hour a week course in it by itself.

Fuck me. Last semester disgusted me.

I'd definitely recommend buying the Pearson issued textbooks. Shits legit.
>>
Should I pursue CompSci if I suck at math? I really want to learn about CompSci, but math isn't my strong point.
>>
>>595418224
this. I would also like to know, even though i'm fairly good at calc
>>
>>595416713

im sorry you had to go through that.

few things to keep in mind non-programming related. when you start working, if you want an easier time moving past the 80k - 100k mark you'll need to be seen as a valuable person among your peers (not just other programmers). thing you do need to be outward facing and beneficial to the company. be an expert at something is good, being able to communicate your expertise is essential

i've chosen to be what people in the industry call a "unicorn". im a professional developer, i love business and its always on my mind when thinking about what im building. i talk to the business teams a lot. and im a designer (not a great one yet but my goal in 10 years is be an amazing designer). the design teams always run stuff past me before they finalize too. every department asks for my opinion but im a developer. design and business isn't for ever dev but i love it
>>
>>595418367
>>595418224

You will have to take courses in Automata and Algorithms. Both require math.
>>
>>595418658
Good to know, will pursue, thanks
>>
>>595418658

Well, you don't need to solve differential equations to pass those classes.

I suck at math. I only survived it because of computer science.
>>
>>595418658
Taking accounting for a compsci degree. Stupid right?
>>
>>595416579

It's funny. I interview technical candidates for the company I work for and while I will look for education on CVs, it's not really that big a deal. I'd rather be able to have a discussion about polymorphism, or the benefit of a design pattern, then talk about course work.

I've interviewed people with Masters in a technical field that couldn't write the signature for a java main method on a white board. I've also interviewed people with a GED, and after they breezed through all the canned interview questions we sat around and wrote UML representations of board games.

Education isn't a guarantee.
>>
>>595418382
It actually made me a better person.
He passed the first of december, so I'm still trying to pickup the pieces and focus. So thank you anon, it made my night that you guys all helped me out.

> you'll need to be seen as a valuable person among your peers
Now are we talking personal characteristics that allow you to be easy to work with, comprehending the problems, etc?

yeah, that's actually what I want to be, that guy that has the ability to give input on something that isn't in my field but my opinion is still valuable.

I really want to be, like you said, that guy who can help in all dept.
A "unicorn"

What is the culture like?
Is there really that many jobs unfilled?
I see this massive push for coding in younger generations so would be industry continue at the pace it's at in 4 years or will it be harder ?
>>
>>595419322
Very. You can probably find a "stronger" math class to support your major.

I had the choice of doing "Basic Calculus" which is good for business people or failures, I fux with the real calculus niugga.
>>
>>595419126
You need to know basic proof structures for Automata theory as it includes proofs.

For algorithms you need to have somewhat of a background in math to understand time complexity of algorithms.
>>
>>595419571
In my first year calc comes later. Still don't understand why accounting tho?
>>
>>595419607

Come on, You learn that stuff in kindergarten.
>>
>>595419985
You learn recursion theory & computational complexity in kindergarten? OK kid. Verified for not knowing shit.
>>
http://www.teamtreehouse.com
>>
is there much difference between comp sci degrees, IT degrees and software engineering degree?

im currently doing an IT degree o.o
>>
>>595420154

I have learned the math necessary for those subjects in mid school. That is very basic math.
>>
>>595420422
comp sci == math + compsci, real "CS" degrees.

IT degree == business + business intelligence shit + SQL shit

software engineering == programming shit -- what most programs teach that give out "CS" degrees.
>>
>>595420638
No you didn't. Recursion theory isn't taught in middle school.
>>
>>595419540

i think more people will start programming, but the industry will also grow. maybe the bubble will pop. who knows.

just be better than everyone else (or a majority of people). its really hard to hire smart people.

if you want to be the "unicorn" type just remember this is a 15 - 20 year learning process. best advice i can give you is try to bootstap your own company. do the UI design, programming, and marketing. don't do it as a fun project. take it seriously. my failed startup had me take a summer off work making only a $3k doing contract work. starting your own company will force you to think about solving a problem, finding customers, educating them on your product, and building a product that is useful and easy for them to use.
>>
>>595420746

I am sorry if it is not taught in your country.
>>
>>595420651
Which is better for programming, compsci or software eng
>>
>>595420966
No, you are full of shit. You can't tell me anything about second-order arithmetic.
>>
>>595412438
not all of those certs are really going to help you get a job but they do have good knowledge. if you want networking get at least a ccna for an entry level job but you could get a pretty serious networking job with a ccnp. things like sec+ and stuff are nice. they help and look good but any one alone isnt going to get you a job
>>
>>595421080
software engineer degree.
>>
>>595419444
so if someone cant write the signature for a java main method on a white board is a bad coder? Language is just a tool, computer science is more about math than and to learn how to solve problems. Torvald would be very disapointed of your comment. That is the problem with a lot of developers, they stick to a language or a technology and forget what programming is really about, they just become monkey coders...
>>
>>595421245
Fuck me.
>>
Lurking here and loving all I see, I just havr a question....what exactly in specific do you do in your job as a dev?
>>
>>595420422
>>595420651

in canada software engineering is closer aligned to other professional engineerings.

it are computer repair monkies (desktop and servers)
cs are more autistic & theory oriented
se are well spoken & solving business problems

everyone can program.
>>
>>595421451
but most CS programs are really shitty and are actually gear towards "software engineer" degrees despite the name. So, you are probably OK.
>>
>>595421657
Thank the lord
>>
>>595421559
write code like there is no tomorrow and a struggle to not to die under the pressure. After that enjoy the paycheck and the facilities of the job
>>
File: file.png (119KB, 642x459px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
119KB, 642x459px
Quick question. What do you guys use to write programs?

I use eclipse, because why not. But my Professor is pushing the class to use netbeans, while my old professor used jGrasp. Is there even a fourth entity?
>>
>>595421657
CS programs are really shitty? what the actual fuck? what do you mean??
>>
>>595408650
I'm in the process of getting my degree in computer Informational systems and computer science, I'm a 4th year college fag and I still don't think I know anything about programming, I'm taking intermediate Java programming and I don't feel confident enough to get a job as a programmer... Translating the logic from English to Java is what gets me. So in short, I'm not sure college is the best way to really learn computers. Or maybe my teachers just suck beyond belief, but programming isn't fun to me and I love computers
>>
>>595422273
important question
>>
>>595408650
I'm a college freshman right now perusing a degree in Computer Science. Taking JAVA right now, it's the first time I've ever done programming, and it's hard as shit.
>>
>>595422273
Intelij, there is NO OTHER JAVA IDLE for me
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 640x995px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 640x995px
>>595421657
My degree outline. Shitty or no?
>>
>>595422273
intellij for java
xcode for objective-c
vim for ruby/html/javascript/css
>>
>>595422028

These CS programs usually make you take the 'math' version of the theoretical courses but the students are too dumb to fully comprehend the material so they water down the material. It produces dumb asses like >>595420638 that think since they took discrete math 101 they know all the CS theory.

No, it just means they attended a shitty CS program like 90% of the schools out there.

If you are weak in math and attend one of those schools you have nothing to worry about with a CS degree
>>
i've done both, taken programming courses at community college and done a computer science degree at university.

the difference: if you are the type of person that's interested in how things work under the hood university will teach all the theory behind how things work,how compilers work,how code gets executed on processors,how to compare runtimes on two different algorithms when given massively huge datasets that would take years to run (math heavy).project managment,QA software testing procedures.university usually has less work load five 3hour classes per week,professors won't be on your case if you don't hand in an assignment or don't show up for a test cause that's just one less thing they have to mark..

if you are the type of person,reading...nobody got time for that,community college will teach you need to know to get an entry level job right now with a focus on hands on learning.if technology changes well you're on your own. you'll be in class 9-5 every day then go home to do home work all night and try to get a few hours of work on the weekend.instructors will be on your case if you don't hand something in.it felt kind of like high school
>>
>>595422273

I use mousepad, because I use Xubuntu.
To debug I use pdb in python.
>>
Software engineering != programming. 90% of people on software Dev teams don't touch code. A degree is just a prefilter for employers that show you put in effort and commitment. I put all non BS applicants straight in the garbage can
>>
>>595414530
Here in New England you have to take three calculus courses and a differential equations class for computer science. I don't think that's "going easy" by any means for an undergraduate.
>>
>>595422587
yes it is. Brasil has excelent CS programs, also well the big one of USA, Carnegie / Melon, MIT, Stanford, for are expensive as fuck and almost imposible to get in there.
>>
>>595415244
You're just a mathfag, I got to calculas, passed with a B+ and when on to take statistics and technologies an operations management which is statistics on steroids for business majors, and that shit it haaaaaarrrrrdddd...
>>
>>595422599
No mac :( Trying Clion atm.
>>
>>595422587
Yes you have a watered down CS program. You are fine anon.

A real program would include hardcore math courses (with proofs) in:

>Combinatorics
>Graph theory
>Set theory
>Algorithms & Complexity
>Advanced Algorithms
>Computability & Computational Complexity theory
>Advanced Computational Complexity theory
>Artificial Intelligence & Logic
>Advanced Artificial Intelligence & Logic

etc.
>>
>>595411324
Are you a faggits
>>
>>595422502
I'm taking C++ right now and will take JavaScript next semester. To me, it kinda just makes sense and clicks, everyone in class seems to struggle though.
>>
>>595423132

Also,

>Category theory
>Abstract Algebra
>Applications of Abstract Algebra (crptyo shit)

etc. would be good for CS majors
>>
>>595423061
if you are going to program objective-c, you need to take the dildo out your ass, put away your windows machine, and buy a mac.

also if you are developing on a windows machine and not a unix box (osx or linux) im going to assume you are in india.
>>
>>595421273

>so if someone cant write the signature for a java main method on a white board is a bad coder?

No, but if you walk into a java interview listing on your CV a proficiency in Java and you can't write a main method that means something.

I actually just hired a polyglot that had almost no java experience. I was impressed with his understanding of design patterns and OO fundamentals.
>>
>>595422616

Fuck you. I took 3 calculus. Differential equations. Stochastic process.

You totally missed my point. Those subjects really don't take a lot o math to pass. Differential equations in the other hand is a different story.
>>
>>595419804
I took two accounting classes for my computer science degree, the reason is because my computer degree is a i"focus" field of study under the business major
>>
>>595422273

Eclipse reporting in. Best IDE I've ever used.
>>
>>595423567
who said windows? and well, not confortable with a Mac, dont want it, dont need it.
>>
>>595423668
>Differential Equations
>Calculus 3

LOL. Get the FUCK out of here. That is freshman level math. You went to a shit school with a shit CS program that taught CS with shit math
>>
university will force you to take a bunch of crap courses to "broaden your horizon" aka keep you there for an year longer than they really need to.

i took: 2 calculus,2 statistics,1 geometry,2 psychology,2 physics,2 linear algebra... aside from statistics i haven't used any of that since finishing the courses 10 years ago
>>
>>595422587
I'm getting mixed signals here and freaking out!!! Change degrees or no?!
>>
>>595423841

thats because you are only 19.
>>
>>595423598
if you walk into a Java interview and cannot write the signature for a java main method, you are not a bad coder, you are an idiot.
>>
>>595424119
>19
I'm 21, thank you very much. Not the other Anon, but Eclipse seems ok. Annoying that you have to export entire projects if you want to run a single java file on a different PC.
>>
>>595423988

Suck my dick.

My CS was much harder than yours piece of shit cake shit fuck. fag.
>>
>>595423988
And you didn't go to school period. Stop acting like you know shit
>>
OP. A CS degree is way more than just programming. But coding doesn't matter, it's all about problem solving. CSS and HTML aren't really programming languages. I mean, they are, but you should shy away from web languages if your goal is to be a programmer. You should pick an easy language to learn (Python probably) and start attacking complex logic problems. Learn to solve problems in the general case, not in a specific case. Learn the pros and cons of data structures, and learn OOP. Java is good for OOP, and good for most other things. But what you will learn as you go forward is that (most of the time) a language is just a tool to help you put your problem solving steps into implementation. Learning to PROGRAM and to solve problems is way more beneficial than learning Java for example. You will also learn that langauges have their advantages, but you can largely do many of the same tasks with practically all languages. A Computer Scientist can of course program, but also gets into the theory of actual computations. Such as, "is this problem solvable?" Youtube the halting problem, for example. It deals with the theory and application of computing things. At the end of the day, a CS degree should again give you more tools to solve problems, but if you can't solve problems in the first place, itll do nothing for you. Start looking at writing implementations for binary search for example, and what binary search actually is, and youll start to see what im talking about.

source: CS degree from god tier university, god tier employment
>>
>>595424533
learn git. its industry standard. github com
>>
>>595424533
I've used netbeans and eclipse, same shit to me
>>
>>595424119

I wish I was 19. RCP is far more customizable that IntelliJ (although that interface is second to Eclipse).

At the end of the day it's all about familiarity and I happen to be more familiar with Eclipse.
>>
I'm a CS major, 2nd semester.

what am I in for /b/?
>>
>>595422390
You sound like me, but I put up with way less programming. I went for a networking degree from the start. Then I got real lucky with a student assistant job at a gov agency where I do user configs. I think this will be enough to carry me. 4th year too big sigh of relief.
>>
>>595408650
You don't really need a degree for computer-sci, but if you really want to, go to a Community College and take COBOL or Python.
>>
>>595424660
Only reasonable comment in this thread.

>>595424582
>>595424599
Both went to shit schools that think Calculus 3 and DE are hard math classes.
>>
>>595424660
>CSS and HTML arent really programming languages, I mean, they are
They are not.
>>
>>595425025

Keep in mind that JavaScript is and it is a good language like any other.
>>
>>595425025
they are.

idk where you went to school tough guy, but they fit the definition of a language. so, kindly fuck off.
>>
>>595424475

You would be surprised at the idiots I have to screen.
>>
please visit www.4chan.org/sci for more discussions like these
>>
>>595425450
>>>/sci/
>>
>>595425013

Give me an example of a hard math class.
>>
>>595425275
Node.Js
Uhhhhhhh Hello
>>
>>595413515
It's a girl on reddit. Username is CerebralEnigma, she posted on /r/shorthairedhotties but deletes her pics after a while
>>
>>595425532
computational theory is a hard math class.

abstract algebra is also kind of mind fucky.
>>
>>595425532

Topology, Category theory, Convex Geometry, Functional Analysis, Measure theory and so on.
>>
>>595410207
fucking perfection
>>
>>595424113
take a look at other degrees generally there's alot of overlap in the first 2 years,try it and see where you are after 2 years if you absolutely hate it you can switch.

it gets easier after each course you get under your belt.
>>
>>595425770
>>595425785

Computational theory and abstract algebra are not hard at all.
The other guy gave good examples but the first guy can suck my dick.
>>
>>595425012
You are the dumbest guy in this thread second to this guy >>595424660
If you want a fucking job in the real world as a programmer, you are going to want to learn html and css first because that's what businesses are looking for, THEN Java. And you don't need to be fucking Enstin to be a programmer
>>
>>595426161
I am >>595425785

Computational Complexity is hard. If it weren't P vs NP wouldn't be an open problem.
>>
>>595408650
OMG OP I KNOW THIS CHICK!
>>
>>595426161
i mean. they are at my school.

but my school is also hard, so...
>>
┬
>>
>>595426431
Good for fucking you
>>
>>595426161
Also, I am >>595426383

Sorry to say, but you attend a shitty school. I attend a top ranked school that teaches it at full rigor.
>>
>>595408650

Web apps are the future.

If you already know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, learn an API-friendly language like PHP.

Then move on to creating WebView apps for native mobile OS'es.

I do this all the time and make mad cake at it.
>>
>>595426614
>Web apps are the future.
Both yes and no.
You still need guys doing back end IT infrastructure and wiring because we haven't created a self sufficient A.I. to do all that for us.
>>
>>595426601
What's the name of your school? ITT tech? LMAO
>>
>>595426304
hey fuckhead, please elaborate a little as to why im the dumbest guy in this thread?

idk about you, but i do a little more than write scripts for spam emails.
>>
>>595426840
One that doesn't shit all over the math in Computational Complexity theory LMAO.
>>
>>595426601

Than you can suck my dick too. Because P vs NP is not a hard problem to understand even though it is still open. And it is not a proof of rigor, since is something you expect in every CC class.
>>
>>595425322
Go to a job interview and say, im a programmer, I can only write html and css, then come back and tell me css and html are programming languages.
>>
▲▲▲
>>
>>595425275
yep, JS, no CSS and HTML, what can you do with only html and css? not a single line of logic. JS is great and node.js is just so fking usefull. Dont get me wrong,
>>
>>595427129
yeah cause fermat's last theorem is easy to understand, just like the abc conjecture. must mean their proofs aren't hard.

you are a dumb ass

lemme spell it out for you

Y
O
U

A
R
E

A

F
D U M B A S S
U C
M K
B
A Y
S O
S U
>>
>>595427239
He will come back and say they are programming language and thank you for convincing him to get a job in website design, which every company needs. Fuck 4chan wouldn't exist without html or css
>>
â–²
▲▲

> like this newfag
>>
>>595427239
it fits the definition you cocksucker:

"A programming language is a formal constructed language designed to communicate instructions to a machine, particularly a computer."

now that we've established that youre a stupid, uneducated fuck who hasnt taken a programming languages course, i would never go to a programming interview and say that, but forgive me for trying to be precise with my language.
>>
>>595426304
omfg, html css and then Java. That is how you become a code monkey, i can pay an indian to do that for 1/5 of the price, dont become A MONKEY CODER.
>>
â–²
▲▲
>>
>>595423047
I wish I was a math fag. I have a very poor infrastructure, or did, which stemmed from high school. I get As, but I study a fair amount. Also, more of an English fag. Always right A papers, and put in C effort.
>>
>>595426835

Opposite the case for me: I do mostly back-end code. I always have a guy or team designing the front-end UX for me, although occasionally I'll rapid-prototype something using jQuery Mobile.
>>
>>595424660
totally agree,a degree teaches how to solve problems the most efficient way using proven methods and procedures.what languages to use in a given situation.one language might take 20 lines of code to do something another language can do in 1 lines using half the memory and 35% less cpu
>>
>>595427691

Wow, you really want to suck my dick.
>>
>>595428128
But that Indian will give you throw away code, I can give you code that will last for years to come because I can code object oriented Java
>>
>>595423368
>To me, it kinda just makes sense and clicks, everyone in class seems to struggle though.
Agree. I don't know how people manage to get a grade lower than B, never mind fail or struggle.
>>
>>595428216
I know how you feel, I use to get straight A's but it took way to much studying and stress, so I toned to down, I want to be an entrepreneur anyway. I'll be damn if I make a living working for someone else
>>
>>595427693
programmes and web designers are two different things. You realy know shit about web dev. 4chan wouldnt exist without a good backend, 4chan isnt even pretty, i can almost swear there were no web designer involve in 4chan development.
>>
File: Can_t Tell if Trolling.jpg (67KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Can_t Tell if Trolling.jpg
67KB, 400x300px
>>595428566
>>
if i am absolutly horrible in maht/algebra. and i know
>html/css
>python
>swift
>nim

is there anything waiting for me?
or should i change proffessions before ive wasted to much money?
>tl:dr how much does math matter in programming/scripting/coding
>>
File: file.png (689KB, 1574x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
689KB, 1574x768px
>>595426601
>>595426840
>>595427080
Fucking plebs
>>
>>595408650
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHUALlAvnUc
>>
â–²
▲▲
>>
>>595429220
What you don't thing object oriented programming is essential to a programmer ?
>>
>>595408650
study math or physics. CS is pleb tier
>>
>>595429418
What the fuck is this?
>>
>>595429418
what am i looking at anon?
>>
>>595429410
A good deal. Even if it wasn't required in the major, you need math to understand certain situations and use it to your advantage.

Math and programming are similar to some degree.
>>
>>595429748
You must be an engineer, GTFO loser
>>
>>>/sci/
>>
File: file.png (556KB, 868x519px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
556KB, 868x519px
>>595429810
>>595429865
Looking at a fucking Ivy league son.
>>
>>595429748
biology major spotted
>>
>>595428015
nice definition from wikipedia. Keep telling that to yourself. Whitespace is also a language, but no real programmer consider it a real language, just like css and html. Actually you cant write any logic with that, that is why you cant consider yourself a programmer if you learn just css and html. Read a book or something, I dont want to charge you for a class if I have to reply again
>>
>>595430098
Top kek. You made me smile
>>
ITT: Scrawny shirt lords who can't do anything but sit on their ass all day behind a computer.

Why don't you get a real job kids? Man up and do something to get some respect. Be a logger, carpenter, miner, whatever.
>>
>>595430118
Biology doesn't need physics WTF.. KEK, he is obviously some mechanical engineer
>>
>>595429902
should i keep throwing money at it?
im that type that has to have an example of how to carry out an equation handy. otherwise it looks like gibberish
>>
Learn the basics first OP, i.e C++ or C#, java script, and httml. After that it should be easy to find a good school for computer science
>>
>>595430098
is this a joke
>>
My advice is don't do it. Trust me. After 10 years of dealing with shitty management, code and autistic colleagues you will wish you undertook a different career instead.
>>
>>595428566
for $800 a month i can get the best indian coder out of 1k ppl, and with that comment I will asume you are not even the best of your class. The good news are.... that there are a lot of jobs of monkey coders.
>>
>>595430313
last time i checked, none of those jobs had respect.

but you can check these dubs for me
>>
File: file.png (169KB, 296x271px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
169KB, 296x271px
>>595430313
That's what I'm talking about a real man. A man who doesn't get his hands dirty doesn't deserve a place in this society. What happened to the strong silent type, the guy who doesn't fucking complain all the time.

That's what's wrong with men today, they need to work hard. Break rocks, lift heavy things, walk places. That's what our economy is craving.
>>
>>595430669
Nigga, you might need to take a humor class at PC Age.
>>
>>595430841
>says this
>in code thread
>browses 4chan
>>
>>595429220
i think the fact that you keep saying object oriented java or whatever means you just started your first semester in the entry CS class and are super excited to have learned new terminology.
>>
>>595429604

shit, im high

>>595431050
>>
>>595430841
mad underpaid Mexican spotted
>>
>>595431006
it looks like a joke
is it a workshop that gives discounted certificates?
>>
>>595431042
>not understanding sarcasm.

Anon, oh Anon, your irony so heavy, please tell my why you like Bob Levy.
>>
I would suggest going for the degree. As you're working towards it look for internships with small, but stable businesses. That kind of experience gets you ahead of everyone else (doing real coding rather than writing documentation), and when you get the degree you can get some great offers.

Experience: 1 CS internship, 3 physics, $120k job offer before graduating with a BS.
>>
File: file.png (43KB, 424x335px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
43KB, 424x335px
>>595431205
>>
>>595431238
whose bob levy
>>
>>595431347
got me
>>
>>595431444
nice trips
>>
>>595422273

Use Visual Studio.

The best part is that you don't have to deal with any of that java crap
>>
>>595408650
a lot of you forgot about language and compiler theory. SDD and shit like that. Thats usualy the next step after automata. Also set theory, lambda calcul, etc. You have a shit load to learn before beside writting if on b: moron.
>>
>>595431050
>>595431162
First of all, I've been in college for 4 years, second of all, what qualifications do you have that give you the right to say I'm wrong, and lastly, are you trolling me? Cause Saying I'm dumb when you are the one over here doing drugs is just ironic
>>
>>595430423
i'm doing my masters in physics right now. why should i study engineering if i call CS pleb tier? every CS major knows that a mathematician or physicist can do it better
>>
>>595432067
because anything you want to demonstrate in physic is shown by computer simulation.
>>
>>595432067
physics is easy too brah
>>
dony forget about my niggers Cantor and Chomsky
>>
>>595432067
Do better at being a teacher. Because that's all mathematicians and physicists do right? Ultimately become high school teachers, I don't how I feel about th future teachers of the world being on 4chan.
>>
>>595411833
What school did you go to?
>>
>>595432067
also why not get to astrophysic level?
>>
>>595408650

You also probably want to learn some SQL, because you WILL use SQL in your job.
>>
>>595431974
my qualifications are that im the guy that smokes and graduated with a CS degree and is actually in the IT field.

>improper use of ironic
>so educated
>college 4 years
>never smoked a j
>wut.jpg

you must be one of those neckbeard/fedora/indiana jones hat aficionados, you come off as one of them. god you fuckers were annoying
>>
File: 10pnb41.gif (300KB, 638x668px) Image search: [Google]
10pnb41.gif
300KB, 638x668px
I'm a 3rd year CS major
How do you guys deal with these types of guys in your classes?
>Inb4 you are one of them
>I am a nerd/weeb but at least I hide my power lvl
>>
Im going to be applying for colleges in a couple of months. I have a 3.4 gpa in all honors and ap courses. I am fluent in Java, HTML&CSS, and I have some things under my belt like winning a webdesign contest. I wanna major in software engineering or just straight compsci. Suggestions?
>>
>>595433107
Im in similar situation
>>
>>595433096
kick their ass and steal their lunch money
>>
>>595433096
Always the CS department with those people.
>CE master race
EE's are cool too.
>>
File: tipsFedoraM'Lady.gif (2MB, 312x250px) Image search: [Google]
tipsFedoraM'Lady.gif
2MB, 312x250px
>>595433313
>implying you can, you're a neckbeard yourself
>>
>>595433096
Is this actually a problem for you? What school?
>>
>>>/sci/
>>>/sci/
go there fags
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 236x214px
>>595433096
>mfw this might as well be my discrete class
>>
>>595432927
You doing drugs and calling me dumb is ironic, so I didn't use that word improperly. And the weed is getting to your head cause you are imagining things that aren't true
>>
>>595433096
hate them, and they hate us(the no weaboos), make fun of them and laugh until we burst in tears. The problem is, they are majority
>>
>>595433614
Yes, probably 30-40% of my CS classes have fags that openly wear fedora autism fashion, anime cosplay/accessories, vidya computer skins/screensavers/shirts, etc. and talk about anime/nerd shit and try to hit on the 5 asian girls there. UofA. Like I said I enjoy most of these things too but don't openly talk about them because I'm aware it makes you look super cringe.
>>
>>595432559
considering you live in the US the teacher thing is true. i live in central europe and there are many job oppurtunities for physicists or mathematicians especially in univeristy business or at companies who rely on software engineers (and literally everything with maths) :^)

also, the start of the discussion was quite illogical. if you study a subject just for job oppurtunities, CS is not a good choice either. economy, law or medicine would be far better.
>>
>>595434149
That sounds cringe worthy. I heard UofA is fun as hell though. Have you been to any parties?
>>
>>595408650
Man this requires a long answer, to make this shit short, you should find what kind of software you want to write and for whom. If you wanna make network apps you should know a bit about nerwork protocols and encryption, if you want to develop any decent sized software you should learn about software engeenering you just don't sit in front of the pc and crap out code, the quality of the code and what kind of code you write matters a lot, if you wanna work in video games or scientific settings you have to have a very different mindset, if you want specific info just tell me what do you want to make.
>>
>>595433107
what you want to become? an engineer or a man of science?
>>
>be 31
>been fucking around with computers since 14
>done projects here and there involving cinema 4d, entire adobe cs, 3ds max, autocad etc
>wrote an AI script(Extendscript) that automated a design firms process: $2500 fuck yea!
>1 of those people that can pickup any software and learn it quickly
>been fucking around in stupid cust service jobs for past 15yrs
>kept telling myself im gonna take computers seriously but never do
>traumatic even happens
>fuck this time to really learn programming
>i learn by doing not classroom nor books
>favorite game: Darkfall
>Reverse engineer its custom mesh, animation, map, terrain formats
>Dam I guess I'm not so stupid
>Firm grasp on Python in the process

mfw in 8 months I've learned Python, C++ and Java. Working on assembly now. What if I took computers seriously at 14. Sigh...

Currently reverse engineering the game engine + writing a server emulator for Darkfall which is now shutdown.

Moral of the story: put ur mind to it and you can accomplish anything

Oh yea this be my first post ever. Lurked for 6 years.
>>
File: gatsby mah nigga.gif (772KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
gatsby mah nigga.gif
772KB, 500x282px
>>595434386
Yes, it is. Yea I've been to some really good parties and some average ones.
>>
If I take CS at Santa Monica College do I have a shot at making a career out of it? I hardly know anything about programming ATM
>>
>>595434406
I'd prefer to get into wearables (ie. Hololens style tech).
App/web design.
honestly, I think I could tackle anything if it was what I chose.

I guess I should ask, for someone who is highly creative, quick to understand problems (not trying to jerk my own dick here), and works smoothly what would be the best field?

I'd prefer more front end work, maybe the look feel and experience of it all.
>>
>>595434725
its sad that you have talent and fuck around with stupid shit as learning assembly and coding a useless project. You must feel bad everyday.
>>
>>595434725
Oh yea this be my first post ever. Lurked for 6 years.
congratuliation anon, good to have another contributer

you sound like a really good programmer, you should embrace it
>>
>>595409240
If you want to be a really good programmer it helps to study CS. Plenty of CS graduates are not good programmers, tho.
>>
everyone go to

>>>/sci/7038592

>>>/sci/7038592

shit talking being done against CS majors
>>
>>595435088
He's obviously full a shit. Probably a young kid looking for acceptance on a shitty project he hasn't started and needs a reason.
>>
>>595435338
that happens daily
>>
Bros join the discussion at

>>>/sci/7038592
>>>/sci/7038592

and fight against the autist there shitting all over CS
>>
Archived thread for any of you guys who want to read it over;

https://4archive.org/b/thread/595408650
>>
>>595434244
I'm studying CS and CIS because I want to understand computer software programming and design, not be a programmer myself, I want to start a business and hire programmers to work for me. But I want to understand the fundamentals of programming so my employees don't screw me over with shit tier programming thinking I don't know better
>>
>>595434992
Man a creative person is needed everywhere a creative man filling potholes will make a machine to fill them for him, if you want to work in the front end this could be interpreted in two ways, you want to be a front end programmer or a front end designer, if you only want to programm you could learn html and css, most of the front ends uh lets call them apis work with the same logic, most of them use xml instead of html but it is practically the same thing. If you want to design front ends you should start by studying something related to graphic design, then learn about usability and user experience, a front end developer has to be in contact with the world constantly there are thrends in this field too, you have to be always on the look out what is hype right now and apply it to your work, there is this thing for example that when you click on a website logo it sends you to the main page, this shit isn't specified anywhere it is just some thrend that caught up.
>>
>>595408650
lel, a degree

A degree means nothing. If you don't program as a hobby you'll never make it. So just do it, google "C tutorial" and get started.

>>595409569
>It's just hard gettting started by yourself you know?
no it's not, it's the easiest fucking thing in the world. It's easier than getting started with knitting socks. It's easier than getting started with making grilled cheese sandwiches. The web is chock full of resources to get started. There's literally no valid excuse for not making it except being an unmotivated faggot.
>>
>>595435490
haha yes. The best project I ever took part is WORKING. Work experience = money nad better jobs.
>>
>>595434080
once again...
>>595429220
>>
>>595436415
I like you. But, why start with C?
>>
File: 1363836668141.jpg (171KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1363836668141.jpg
171KB, 1366x768px
I got my CS degree from a 4 year university 2 years ago. im making $93k a year in a city with a low cost of living, and i didn't get good grades, i graduated with a 2.98 GPA.
Also, going to a 4 year school pretty much guarantees you'll know more than people who learned on their own or got quick certs. I know "senior" programmers who don't know basic design principals i learned during school, because theres a lot of stuff you'd never learn on your own because you only learn what you need to get by.
>>
File: dont-feed-the-troll.jpg (25KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
dont-feed-the-troll.jpg
25KB, 288x288px
>>595436652
are you slow? of course he's trolling you!
>>
>>595433592
i do like a little stubble, wouldn't say it's a neckbeard tho.
>>
>>595437017
f a g g o t
a
g
g
o
t
>>
>>595436340
So programming front ends is more of a solid problem solving, while design is more trending designs, user experience.
Okay.

What if I want to do both?
If I want to be a UI/UX designer would that be possible to a reasonable extent?
>>
>>595436185
thats actually what most people with a masters in CS do in my country. i support that fully.
>>
Join the ongoing discussion here

>>>/sci/7038592
>>
>>595436415
I think it's just specifically hard for me because for the past two years I've only taken care of my father.
Quit school and my job to do so, so I've been "out of the game" for some time. I guess it's my confidence that's lackluster, but I know I can do things if I really cared to. I appreciate the honesty though anon.
>>
>>595437439
stop, its a shit tier thread
>>
>>595437439
I am >>7038849 in that thread and
>>595433096 here
>>
>>595408650
>>595410207
>>595410421
>>595410842
>>595411672

This girl's pictures just make me feel sad.
>>
>>595437167
you're so cool how can i be as cool as you?
>>
>>595436929
>because theres a lot of stuff you'd never learn on your own because you only learn what you need to get by.
Agree.

I force myself to use switch statements sometime just to diversify my "vocabulary."
>>
>>595436823
Well, personal taste, but C is simple enough, it does everything, it's not full of bullshit like C++, it's oddly still popular, and gigashitton of resources, and it's pretty much the granddaddy of every other language you might want to learn later, doesn't matter if it's ObjC, Java or PHP really.

>>595437582
Yeah but you know, there really isn't much to it, take an hour at your computer every once in a while and soon enough you start getting somewhere. And you don't need a degree or even any prior work experience if you have a finished project you made all by yourself to vouch for what you can do.
>>
>>595437980
lose all your wait and shave your stubble you fucking
f a g g o t
a o
g g
g g
o a
t o g g a f
>>
>>595437350
Sure you can be a one man army, As I said to design a not only usable(search for this word in software engeenering context) but beatiful graphical interface you have to know a bit about graphic design. Most of the time interfaces are done by a graphic designer that knows a bit about software rather than a programmer that knows about art. You can learn as much as you want just try to make one thing at a time. And get very specific about what you want if you want to work in gadgets start researching about where you would like to work find in stackoverflow.com what are the qualifications the need for their employees and learn that.
>>
>>595438364
so homophobic, man you must love the cock.
don't worry one day you'll have the balls to be proud of it.

it gets better

>muh sides
>>
>>595438767
Who's peeking out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air?
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow?
Everyone knows it's Windy
Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smiling at everybody she sees?
Who's reaching out to capture a moment?
And Windy has stormy eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Above the clouds (Above the clouds)
And Windy has stormy eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smiling at everybody she sees?
Who's reaching out to capture a moment?
>>
>>595408650
mfw girls can't computer
>>
>>595439582
where is your face
>>
File: kurisu_makise.png (162KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
kurisu_makise.png
162KB, 800x613px
>>595439582
How do you deal with the lack of girls in our major bros?
>implying any of us could get one anyway
>>
>>595440258
this is a bread in and of it's loaf
>>
>>595440258
go out with dentistry and medical college.
>nurses
>>
>>595440258
By getting along the the few decent ones there are. Seriously, just don't be a creep.
>>
>>595422599
IntelliJ is dank as shit man, everythin jetbrains does is awesome
netbeans is fine, really
eclipse is utter shit
>>
>>595440871
>----->friendzone
>>
>>595440258
spend time studying/chilling/whatever in places with more traffic, not just the CS area of your school. unless you happen to look like orc or are awkward as fuck, you might catch the eye of a future exgirlfriend somewhere.

>source: not an awkward orc
>>
>>595441147
>future exgirlfriend
i like your style
>>
>>595409569
Dont fucking start with Java or C. Learn javascript, python, ruby, perl or some other high level language. Then once you are a decent fucking programmer, go back and learn c, java, whatever...
>>
>>595441143
>implying I don't already have a gf in a superior major
I'm not even going there with you, but it really is bad that STEM majors have a serious lack of girls.
>>
>>595441455
its college gotta make the best of it
>>
File: kurisu is dissapoint.jpg (5KB, 203x249px) Image search: [Google]
kurisu is dissapoint.jpg
5KB, 203x249px
>>595441147
but what if I WANT a girl that is smart and likes computers too?
>>
>>595442265
mfw, invent robot girlfriend
>>
File: Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png (7KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
Thatface20110725-22047-wlaopv.png
7KB, 645x773px
>>595442361
this is what I'm planning on doing, but in the mean time >tfw no gf
>>
Does anyone know a free, windows compatible decent C compiler?
>>
>>595442979
gcc on debian. If you are in CS you are part of the problem.
>>
>>595442265
ooh you're asking for the way to catch a unicorn... I'm afraid I have no knowledge of that

I only saw 2.. TWO! real cute girls in my major when i was in school. one super cool and smart but taken (fml). the other bitchy and kinda dumb. the rest were just ehh and not gf type. (not that pretty)
>>
>>595443226
this
Thread posts: 291
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.