[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sg/ - Ski General #6 Go big or go home edition Last thread:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 35

File: DaceFace.jpg (325KB, 994x559px) Image search: [Google]
DaceFace.jpg
325KB, 994x559px
/sg/ - Ski General #6
Go big or go home edition
Last thread: >>799117

>I've never skied before, what do I need to know before I start?
pastebin.com/gpincHC3

>What skis should I get?
evo.com/how-to-choose-skis-size-chart-and-guide.aspx

>What boots should I get?
It is extremely important to get boots that fit you well and to have them heat moulded. Therefore, it is very important to go to a professional bootfitter (not just a ski shop, but specifically a bootfitter). For a list of reputable bootfitters, refer to epicski.com/wiki/boot-fitters-on-epicski
You can also consider getting custom footbeds for increased comfort and performance. If you are a beginner this is not that important (though getting boots from a bootfitter is), but if you are an advanced-expert skier it will make a big difference.

>Why is it so important to go to a bootfitter?/I went to a bootfitter and still have a problem, what's wrong?
epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

>What bindings should I get?
The most important things to consider with bindings are DIN range and brake width. Your DIN should be around the middle of your binding's DIN range. For example, if you ski with a DIN of 7, a 4-12 binding would be good for you. A 1-7 or a 7-16 would be bad. If you don't know your DIN, look up a DIN chart.
The brake width should be approximately equal to the waist of the ski. It's better for the brake to be a little smaller than a little bigger (ski shop techs can bend the brakes when they mount the bindings), but if you go more than 7mm or so smaller the brakes might not fit well. Going up to about 10mm wider on the brakes is alright too as long as you don't carve really aggressively.

>Where should I ski?
Right now: onthesnow.com/skireport.html
In general: onthesnow.com/ski-resort.html

>I suck at skiing, how can I get better?
Stop being a faggot and huck something big. Or post video of you skiing ITT and we'll critique it.

>Is it true that only faggots snowboard?
Yes.
>>
>>847408
First for FUCK YOU EL NINO
>>
File: Baezberg-2015_1226_144000.jpg (2MB, 4787x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Baezberg-2015_1226_144000.jpg
2MB, 4787x2048px
Second for no snow.

>>847603
>this will continue until end of next year
>next years summer might be hotter than this one

oh for fucks sake
>>
is there any greater feeling than landing your first backie?
>>
hi i ski. fugg XD i ride surface blanks and I can do rail trix but I like to peer pressure my friends
>>
Went skiing for the second time ever at wolf creek colorado. It was fun! But I got to ask are the rental boots supposed to be painful?
>>
>>848361
Depends on how many times the boots have been worn and how weird your feet are. If they have been worn a couple hundred times the liner is going to be mostly worthless. If you have odd shaped feet they aren't going to fit well in a boot that is going to be 'ok' for a standard-ish foot. This is assuming they fit you properly in the first place. First time I went I lucked out and they rented me new boots, felt great. If you are going to stick with it buy your own boots. Either go to a boot fitter, something like rei that has people who actually ski, or find how to properly measure your foot, length width instep calf, and buy some online. If you have weird feet avoid online.
>>
File: mr-kenedy-nude.jpg (50KB, 342x400px) Image search: [Google]
mr-kenedy-nude.jpg
50KB, 342x400px
>you will never watch danial bryan take a big fat hornswoggle sized vegan shit into brie's mouth
>>
At beaver creek right now.

Why are my feet so god damn cold
>>
>>848586
They make foot warmers for a reason.
>>
>>848586
keep your core warmer and your extremities will get more blood
>>
>>848586
double up on socks or get those thick socks.
>>
>>848759
Ignore this idiot. Wear nothing else than one pair of thin wool socks
>>
>>848759
Literally the worst advice you can give. You're only supposed to wear a single pair of thin socks. If you can fit thick socks or multiple pairs of socks into your boots they're too big.

For really cold weather I've gotten second pair of insoles to the shells and carved them out so that I can drop a handwarmer under the shell's insole. Warms up the bottom of the boot and keeps your feet nice and warm even when it starts getting really cold outside. Best part is that I don't have to deal with battery packs and wires.
>>
Snowboard question brehs. I'm looking at the K2 railgun as my first snowboard. I'm 5'10 150 lbs. The site I'm looking at only has two in stock, 153 and 159. Wat do
>>
>>851909
first go to faggot generaI
>>815927
>>
Decided to go skiing today for the third time. Took your guys advice and leaned forward more with my hands up and was able to control better. Went down the blue runs easily aside from the patches of ice. Gopro didn't feel like working so no video. Thanks for the help anons.
>>
>muh declining tourism
>ask full price (avg 55$) for shitty slopes with 95% being artificial snow
>>
On average how many black cocks does a skier's wife take daily?
>>
FUCK YOU
FUCK THIS OP
I D O N T C A R E
POST YOUR SKIING MUSIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ALY_mvAVsU&feature=youtu.be&t=3m38s
>>
>>853723
0 Niggers don't ski. Duh.
>>
>>848988
Ignore this idiot too. He's right about only wearing one pair, but synthetic is better than wool, and while thick socks are bad, ski socks should generally not be excessively thin either.
I personally like the Darn Tough synthetic socks. Just go to a ski shop or even REI-type store and get some synthetic ski socks.

If you wear thick socks or two pairs of socks, the boots will be too tight and restrict circulation and make you more cold.
If that's not the case it's because your boots are too big.
>>
File: quiver.jpg (1MB, 2667x2882px) Image search: [Google]
quiver.jpg
1MB, 2667x2882px
Post your quivers.
>>
File: IMG_20151230_172806.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_172806.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Skis and my sweet waxing station.
>>
>>854021
Darn tough socks

Muh nigga

I like wool just for smell reasons, most days I just wear my rugby socks, but I do love my one pair of darn tough ski socks.

Fucking love my other darn tough socks too, I wonder if they ship to New Zealand
>>
File: 1444681920507.jpg (212KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1444681920507.jpg
212KB, 1280x960px
>>847603

>mfw mad eastcoasters and eurokeks

The west coast and Rocky mountains thank you for your sacrifice.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 6000x4000px
Anyone touring here?

Pic related, from a couple of days ago. Short trip, 600 vertical meters. Very hard snow. Also went for a trip yesterday, but hungover so could only go 150-200 vertical meters before giving up. Some fresh snow, beautiful weather. Really annoying I couldn't go further, as the ride down was great but very short. Today it was windy as fuck, poor conditions. Western Norway.
>>
I suck on moguls lads, the best I could do today was to control my speed, and to let the little fuckers decide my line. Any general tips?

>inb4 do more cardio
>>
>>848613
>foot warmers

Gaper detected.

>>848638
This.

>>857707
Practice.
>>
>>857707
When you say moguls, you mean the hard firm perfectly round machinery-made moguls, or you mean the soft choppy naturally-occuring bumps created by skiers?
>>
>>854057
Nice, those all you or family/friends? Where you ride?
>>
File: img_1437832759657.png (2MB, 1600x1280px) Image search: [Google]
img_1437832759657.png
2MB, 1600x1280px
OK guys, this is my first edit ever. I only got 2 runs recorded cuz I wasn't working it right and to embarrassed to ask someone if my light was on.

This is also from my first day this year.

Filmed on sj4000 for like 70$

Rate me, who wants to go ride with me in Utah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MCYJRy0Yc
>>
>>848586
Get a good hat or helmet, you lose most heat from your head
>>
>>858776
Could really use that (you), come on guys!
>>
File: IMG_20160104_105106304.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160104_105106304.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>858581
You have machines to make moguls? I took pic related today, these things, they are made by skiers but they definitely aren't soft
>>
>>858776
If you're gonna be at snowbird tomorrow I'll ski with you for a bit
>>
Went skiing for a 4th and 5th time. Getting good enough that I find the blues and 1 black run that are open pretty easy. Started going over small jumps to get used to falling/landing if I ever want to huck it over a cliff in the future, fell a time or 2 in the beginning because I landed in the backseat. Need to clean up the parallel turns to make them nicer, have minor 2 stepping and A-framing sometimes. Legs were tired as hell the second day and my skiing got really sloppy, was catching inside edges and was more wobbly than the first day. Overall had a lot of fun, all of the blacks should be opening by the end of this week and the change of pace will be interesting.
50 min video of my mediocre skiing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97m8QryYGo
Bunch of random ass stats from my watch: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1001295715
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1002567505

PS Fuck snowboarders sitting across the hill at the top. If they are blocking the whole path I have started just bulldozing through them.
>>
File: skis.jpg (246KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
skis.jpg
246KB, 960x1280px
>>854057
>>
THERE IS NO SNOW ANYWHERE
FUCK THIS BULLSHIT NORTHEAST WINTER
>>
OP, you know that only little kids and old people ski right? Oh yeah, and faggots that weren't good enough at snowboarding.
>>
>>862696
Is it so hard being that poor snowboarder watching the glorious skiers have some actual fun that you have to come here and shitpost?
>>
I am going to Stowe, Vermont in a week and a half. Has anyone been there? What's it like? The biggest pile of earth I've skied on is 400 feet tall, whereas Stowe's vertical is something like 2300. What should I expect? Any pointers for my first real mountain?
>>
>>863878
Go hard, go fast.
>>
>>859516
you have to be really aggressive, lean forward and take small turns letting your legs pump and absorb energy
>>
>>863878
Stowe is lovely, expensive but lovely, the village at the bottom of the hill is great. The mountain is pretty good too. Stowe is not known for huge amounts of powder.

If memory serves the Mexican place is particularly good to eat at. And you can get hot apple cider literally everywhere you go.

Just explore, find something that you like. It's not a small mountain, so there will be something there just for you.
>>
>>864379
Thx bby I'll do my best
>>
>>860720
Dang I missed this, wasn't at the bird today though either, right now I have 2 tickets for Brighton and access to a pass that I don't want to go into detail how I get.

I normally work monday-friday but have the greenlight to skip on powder days. I ski nights on weekdays at Brighton and then snowbird when I can.

I also just got skins recently, would like to be going up before work early morning, but I don't have avalanche gear yet and don't really wanna die. Well I guess I'm more okay with dying then becoming quadriplegic, which I know someone who is now from an avalanche.

Reply to me again if your serious about riding together
>>
>>862696
(You)
>>
Finally back in Utah. Elevator and Diaganol are so much fun right now.

>>862696
Alright, faggot. Let's test that theory. Let's ride together and see which one of us is better.

>>858776
>>860720
I'll ski with both of you. [email protected]
Snowbird every day

>>858769
Mine. Minnesota and Utah, mostly Snowbird.
>>
How do I visit vail?
>>
>>864620
Book accommodation in nearby village with eleven other people

Bus in

Unless you are made of money
>>
>>864620
Don't. Vail is shit. Tourist gapers, nothing else. Not even good terrain.
>>
EatingABagel WHERE DO YOU SKI YOU FAGGOT?
>>
Anywhere out west going to be open with at least somewhat decent conditions in mid April?
>>
>>864974
With el nino there is a good chance a lot of the resorts will be open and getting snow.
>>
>>864734
Lol wut. Vail is great. What mountain do you like edge lord?
>>
>>864737
Lol. I'm not getting doxed
>>
The Bunch just released Finito, and god damn is it the best fucking ski movie I've ever seen. They captured the spirit of skiing so well and it is a perfect finale for their trilogy of movies.

https://vimeo.com/149763832
>>
are there any reliable sources for predicting long term snowfall? I was looking into a places to spend a winter on a mountain and I was curious where you guys think has the best conditions all season long
>>
>>866049
Mt. Baker
>>
>>864974
Snowbird, Whistler, Arapahoe, Jackson, etc. What terrain preference and ability level?
>>866049
If you want almost guaranteed good long season, Snowbird/Whistler/Arapahoe/Jackson. Personally I'd do Snowbird. Great snow, lots of snow, great terrain.
>>
Tfw going skiing tomorrow but can't fucking sleep
>>
>>866453
how did it go bruh?
>>
>>866453
same thing happens to me, I get exited like a kid and cant go to sleep
>>
File: 1.webm (1014KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1.webm
1014KB, 1280x720px
This is what happens when you huck something with your DINs too low...
>>
>>864734
Yeah, Vail is pretty great, it gets pretty busy during peak times, so just don't go during Christmas if you don't want to be surrounded by tourists you idiot.

Good terrain, not the best in the world, but pretty damn good.
>>
>>869063
Lel fucking powder, I once had both skis pop off in the middle of a turn, turns out I had gained a little weight... Also dins were too low anyway
>>
>>869262
lulz, when I was very new to skiing in the mountains (first week of my life skiing powder) (I live in the midwest) my DINs were only at 3 and my skis would pop off just from trying to turn in powder
>>869259
Not really. Vail isn't that great. Has one good cliff band, that's all it has going for it. If you want good terrain go to Utah, Montana, Wyoming, or the Northwest.
>>
>>864553
damnit - I need to check this I went riding today; but I actually went to brighton night skiing. I had plans to take my black diamond head lamp for powder runs in the trees but I left it home. Most the footy from today was pretty gay.

I'll email you I will probably be at the bird on Sunday either on Little cloud or mineral basin.

I might make a gay edit with footy from today just because I am trying to practice with the camera cuz right now i suck.
>>
>>869063
good for you for having a set in your sack regardless; better than can be said for a lot
>>
>>868270
lel yea you get pumped
>>
On the way to the mountain, all trails are open, time to try some blacks.
>>
File: Marcus_Kleveland.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Marcus_Kleveland.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>852566
>>
>>870204
the helicopter goes soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi soi
>>
>>869750
I think I'll be there tomorrow. Probably skiing with a friend for a few hours in the morning in the Gad 2 area, you'd be welcome to ski with us if you can keep up. Otherwise I'd be down to ski with you in the afternoon after he leaves if I'm not too tired by then.
>>
>>869750
Email me with your phone number if you want to meet up tomorrow, I'm probably getting off for the night pretty soon but I'll check my email in the morning and text you if I've heard from you.
>>
>I either go today with winds blowing at 60km/h and heavy snowing
>Or I don't and another week of no skiing
>>
>>870985
>not enjoying skiing in storms
What a fucking casual
>>
>>871004
I don't need that for my first time this season.
>>
>>871004
You have the wrong gear? With the right gear you can enjoy it, couple drinks will keep you warm - have drank 4/5 days on the hill this season.

I'm going tomorrow and I'm bringing a full bottle of wine in a water bottle
>>
>>871068
First response Meant for >>871017

I'll be at snowbird tomorrow, if you want to take laps I'll check here a few times
>>
>>853056
Try avg price 100 in utah
>>
>>853773
I've been skiing since 3 and I've seen 2 nigs total
>>
>>871069
Im in europe
>>
>>870856
I'll keep up, the question is for how many runs; I'll be on gad 2 and little cloud drinking and blazing. Alarm set even though it's 2 cuz I want a parking spot
>>
>tfw I go skiing in Lech because I am not poor but more and more Amerifats are showing up

Go to Gstaad or Chamonix with the rest of the Anglos
>>
Why are you teenagers posting on the wrestling board?
>>
>>871218
I'm 31 neeyaygu
>>
>>871077
Still haven't heard from you via email and I'm about to head out. Planning to get to Gad 2 around 10:30 and stay there a few hours at least. I'll be in all black, Contour camera on my helmet, and blue Minnesota sticker on my helmet. I have a beard. Find me.
>>
>>871367
Oh so you're just a manchild
>>
File: image.png (380KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
380KB, 750x1334px
Thoughts on boots compatible with alpine and AT bindings? I'm a novice skier, mostly blue runs, but am taking lessons all this season at Mammoth (praise El Niño btw). Hoping to get into backcountry either this year or next. The bootfitter recommended the tecnica Cochise 100 and it felt pretty good demoing it for two days. OTOH another bootfitter recommended the Lange xc 120, which is wider and larger volume and fits me even better, but isn't compatible with AT bindings. What do? Sacrifice AT for a better downhill boot, and get separate AT boots later? Or compromise with one boot that does resort and backcountry?
>>
>>848361
Dankest snow in colorado. Love that place
>>
Fuck, broke my bindings off and ended up in the ER, sorry to anons I said I'd meet at snowbird today.
>>
>>871421
Basically, manned up today and got myself to emergency room instead of ski patrol taking me down though, so more man then child
>>
>>871399
Sorry bro, got jacked on the traverse on little cloud first run at like 945 this morning, broke heels off my bindings on 1 ski, went to emergency room, was a bitch, ended up with bruised femur.
>>
>>847408
http://www.evo.com/ski-packages/atomic-nomad-blackeye-ti-skis-xto-12-bindings.aspx

What do you guys think of this package for a pair of all mountains?

The context is that I maybe get to the slopes less than 2 weeks a year but am willing to pay for near or about average shit.

I am trying to get in to skiing more, though I cannot yet go past blue runs.
>>
>>870204
so much butter
>>
File: Eagle_aerial.jpg (102KB, 1000x350px) Image search: [Google]
Eagle_aerial.jpg
102KB, 1000x350px
a guy fell off the chair right in front of mine today, right after the last tower in pic, face down on flat. Luckily it was near the top so the lifty saw right away. My friend and I both have our first aid and were first on the scene, the guy was pretty KO'd, just kind of moaning and not responding to anything. After we secured c-spine a patroller showed up and took it from there, and we helped with getting him on the spine board and into the toboggan. He was pretty much fully aware by the time patrol took him down, but it was still really scary when he was unresponsive. He didn't seem to have any spinal injuries, which was extremely lucky considering he wasn't wearing a helmet. Definitely using the bar all the time from now on.
>>
>>871892
>not getting the free sled ride
>>
>>872077
Look for last year's model if one exists.
>>
How important is physical strength in skiing?
>>
>>872210
Ability to perform well, and for longer is directly proportional to your fitness. Don't delude yourself by thinking otherwise.

Core strength, legs, and cardio are pretty damn important.
>>
>>872210
It's pretty handy, if you're going skiing I'd recommend some general physical preparedness training, and if you're really into it then you will probably be benefited by strength training
>>
>>872230
Jesus, I wasn't going to say it this bluntly, but anon is right

Do your cardio especially
>>
File: HandmadeUnlinedHeifer.webm (1MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
HandmadeUnlinedHeifer.webm
1MB, 852x480px
Am I the only one who thinks that newschoolers is the biggest circlejerk on the internet?
>>
File: _20160111_155651.jpg (1MB, 2155x4862px) Image search: [Google]
_20160111_155651.jpg
1MB, 2155x4862px
Post yout fit lads

>tfw no snow
>>
File: 27066.jpg (369KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
27066.jpg
369KB, 1080x1440px
>>872558
>>
>>872582

What jacket is that and how cold is where you ski?
>>
>>872172
I had marijuana on me, got scared I'd end up in trouble or something. They did lend me skis since mine were broken.

Nice guys desu senpai.
>>
>>872585
It's actually a snowboard jacket, I've always taken to snowboard styling over skiing's even though I ski. I can't remember the name and I'm on crutches so not gonna check but I'll update it when I can.

The helmet is new that my gf got me for Xmas it a bolle, the Oakley's are a-frames
>>
>>872585
Oh, I ski in Utah, so temperature varies. Yesterday was nice and sunny, I think 25 Fahrenheit.
>>
>>872167
Jesus
>>
>>872602
ski patrol does not give two shits if you have weed
>>
>>872615
Hmmm, are you sure? Your probably right. I've never talked to them. I'm used to running from them... Somehow the word patrol in my mind is associated with law enforcement. I know some of them are sherrifs and can put you in cuffs for cutting ropes etc.
>>
>>872630

In Italy it's either Carabinieri or Police that play the role of Ski Patrol, but they would never check on you if you had weed or not
>>
>>872353
Yeah, I fucking hate Newschoolers. Shitty memes and "stoke". It's the reddit of skiing.
>>
>>872720
Also how they hate on people doing new tricks, ie DOUBLES ONTO RAILS, but then they love people who do 540s and wave their arms around, its worse than the Reddit of skiing, its even more single minded than Reddit.
>>
>>871075
Same...they're super rare
>>
>>871894
Sorry to hear. Any idea how long that is going to keep you away from skiing?
>>
>>872167
Did you see how he fell off?
>>
>>872954
bro I see you're quite the minnesotan. I too ski minnesota (I go to school in CO right now though). Where do you ski in the motherland?
>>
File: 1451398701014.jpg (98KB, 430x350px) Image search: [Google]
1451398701014.jpg
98KB, 430x350px
>>872885
bro skiing isn't fun anymore if they do dubs onto rails!! bring back style!! omg look how he slid that rail with no tricks onto it, on it or off of it! Oh wait he leaned back a bit!

I hate everything about it and I hate the fucking ringleader bishop that fucking retard cunt. Grown the fuck up and stop hanging out with a bunch of squeaky saga-whoring faggots.

I used to be so into NS. But now, fuck no
>>
>>873162
I don't ski much in Minnesota anymore but I used to ski mostly Power Ridge, sometimes Mount Kato, Giants Ridge, and Spirit Mountain. Then I worked at Afton Alps for a few years (liftie and instructor). And I go to Wild Mountain/Trollhaugen when nowhere else is open. I mostly just ski Snowbird now though. Where in Colorado do you ski?
>>
>>873266
So... You basically ski everywhere if you go anywhere from Powder Ridge to Kato lol. I started skiing at Welch then I started going to Afton for their superior park.

Actually as stupid as this is I don't have my skis out here. I race bikes so I have all that out here. The passes were expensive and my skis are not in out-west condition. So, I'm only skiing when I'm home hah. Been out like 4 days this year. If I was out here it'd be Purg, telluride, wolf creek, etc
>>
What gloves/mittens do you use?
>>
>>874762
Kinco
>>
>>874762
Burton mittens
>>
>>874762
Burton. Not even a boardfag, I just like their gloves and mittens.
>>
>>871179
gstaad is full of russians and snobby french
>>
File: 20160110_111346.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160110_111346.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>872954
Maybe 2 weeks, straight landed on a rock covered by snow. Here are a few pics of where I wrecked.
>>
File: 20160110_111341.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160110_111341.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>875880
>>
>>874762
Armada pipe gloves, I must maintain dexterity to drink and blaze on the lift. If they get wet need to have a second pair with you, this includes spilling beer on them
>>
>>875890
Sorry for sideways
>>
Any good specific videos demonstrating skiing techniques? I'd like a video version of this article: http://www.e4s.co.uk/docs/top-skiing-tips.htm (article has helped me a lot already btw).
>>
>>874762
Military surplus

I don't care for fashion as long as they keep me warm and dry.
>>
>>873166
Bishop is the problem, he makes out that he is unbiased, but is obviously. Annoys the shit out of me.

I see this movement because people watch LSM, and think
"Boy, I can go out tomorrow and do those tricks!" While they watch any of the pros and they go "ew triples" because they have no chance of ever getting that good.
>>
File: image5.jpg (188KB, 2048x1257px) Image search: [Google]
image5.jpg
188KB, 2048x1257px
>>876368
Yeah he's the biggest manchild I've ever seen.

Hmm, I've never thought of it that way. Makes sense, I know I've thought that way before. Problem is, LSM's tricks are "simpler" but are still pretty hard. Not saying they're triple level, but still difficult I'd say. Still shows the maturity level of that fucking site.
>>
>>876118
good point
>>
>>872987
he was on a board and i guess he tried to swing it around in preparation to get off the chair, and he just slipped off.
>>
Gonna be in utah soon, not a lot of money, so what's the cheapest way to get lift tickets to any of the cottonwood canyons places(Alta, snowbird, Brighton, solitude). Or if anyone is really in, im looking to get a job on the mountain for about a year before college, maybe more.
>>
File: aerials.gif (2MB, 269x168px) Image search: [Google]
aerials.gif
2MB, 269x168px
Skiing a couple of years from now
>>
>>874762
Hestra
>>
>>878550
Look on KSL - there is a guy that lets you leave a deposit and use one of his 10 pack passes for Snowbird for like 55 or 60 instead of paying 100 for a lift ticket at the mountain.
>>
>>878842
KSL?
>>
File: forecast.png (313KB, 760x540px) Image search: [Google]
forecast.png
313KB, 760x540px
Mount Washington on Vancouver Island this week, looks good!
>>
File: shark.jpg (132KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
shark.jpg
132KB, 1200x798px
>>876625

as bad as NS and some of the hype around park/free skiing goes, i still love it. its just fun and satisfying and just another way of expressing yourself through some form of physical activity youd enjoy. everyone likes to do things their own way, and park/freesking in general has alot of possibilities, and still has a lot of great content IMO. some skiers really do make great work.
>>
File: sptdw0171_670.jpg (63KB, 670x446px) Image search: [Google]
sptdw0171_670.jpg
63KB, 670x446px
>>879396
I'm not denying that I love freeskiing, skifriend. I just hate the users on that fucking site. I'll watch edits from time to time, but I never read their """"""""""journalism""""""""""" or go to the forums anymore. It's just too diseased.

i'm always down to shred
>>
>>879436
Never leather freestyle, but I can ski almost anything without big cliffs
>>
>>853773

A black here.

...but I skiboard (with release bindings). I like how easy they are, I like how convenient they are and torn ACLs scare me, man.
>>
File: 1430763544225.jpg (35KB, 437x328px) Image search: [Google]
1430763544225.jpg
35KB, 437x328px
>>880245
>mfw the person shilling skiboars reveals himself to be a person of darker skin color
>>
>>880287
That's not the image I was supposed to post...
>>
>>880287
Not a shill. Everyone has their own tastes and I've made a total of like 6 posts over the past 3 months.

None of which by any means try to say that skiboards are superior to skis.

No harm and no disrespect to anyone ever meant (both here and on the mountain). Hell, you guys are lucky that I am too depressed about no snow in the Northeast to call the Secret Black Council of Obama, Sam Jackson and Oprah about the flippant use of the word Nigger around these parts.

Kidding, if you give me a pass on the skiboards, I'll give you a pass on saying nigs...just NEVER say it around around black people on a mountain. They're either rich or connected enough to make a big deal about it with management or they are "urban youth" on a day away from the ghetto trip where they'll do a drive by on the ski lodge
>>
>>880245
> a black here
Ew
What phone have you stolen to post with ?
>>
>>880341
My African American friend I was just busting your balls. Besides I don't call people niggers if I'm not shitposting on an anonymous mongolian basket weaving newsgroup.
>>
File: Capture.png (104KB, 695x451px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
104KB, 695x451px
Well RIP snow, was a good 1 week of el nino snow.
>>
>>847408
Anyone here ski Crystal or Summit Central?

I know the latter is shit tier and teeny tiny but I figured I would include it.

Anons, what is AT MOST, the longest you are willing to commute to a mountain. This is running on the assumption it has been a while and you are going to be skiing all day (but not night).
>>
File: collage.png (941KB, 761x760px) Image search: [Google]
collage.png
941KB, 761x760px
>>879143
yoooo thats my home mountain
going up this weekend, get fucking h y p e
>>
>>871820
of you have the money then do it
>>
File: Capture.png (33KB, 849x372px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33KB, 849x372px
great weather lel
>>
>>880142
Big cliffs are the best part of skiing though.
>>
>>871820
You may want to look into Salomon WTR technology.
>>
File: P1050797.jpg (46KB, 328x400px) Image search: [Google]
P1050797.jpg
46KB, 328x400px
Should touring boots fit slightly roomier given that you might be hiking/climbing in them? Since you'd never get mountaineering/hiking boots that are super tight. The two bootfitters consulted disagree.
>>
Favorite thing to ski-
>huge open powder bowls
>steep powder glades
>freshly groomed slopes
>powdered moguls
>>
>>883380
Fuck powdery moguls, I prefer mine a bit more packed, otherwise completely on board with your list
>>
>>890105
>>883380
yea powdery it depends.
>>
>>883380
Narrow mandatory straightline chutes.
>>
>>890680
hmm
>>
Is it true that in Vail there are guys who walk around bars in ski boots but never ski?
>>
>>893128
If that were to be a thing anywhere in North America, it would probably happen at Vail. Or maybe Aspen.
>>
>>883380
>anything but steep powdery glades
Im disappointed in all of you
>>
Going skiing in two days, first time in two years. Fucking hyyyyyyped.
>>
I've just moved from Colorado to Los Angeles. I was told to expect a good year what with the Christ Child and all, but the reports don't look good. If they do get better, where the fuck should I go? I like to ski trees, backcountry, deep powder, cliffs, expert terrain etc.

Do any of the SoCal mountains have much potential, or are they just bunny hills for beginners and park rats?

/r/ing info on where to ski in socal.
>>
File: image.jpg (465KB, 1633x1225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
465KB, 1633x1225px
How do I ski powder?
>>
File: image.jpg (326KB, 1633x1225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
326KB, 1633x1225px
>>895240
Mt baldy is a tiny resort with some interesting off piste areas. Big bear lake has a couple of modest resorts. All mostly locals spots, take the senpai, bunny hills. People also skin up some of the local peaks in the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains and ski down. It's usually too warm to have real powder though. You need to get up to Mammoth for a massive resort, cliffs etc. And then there's the entire Sierra Nevada for real backcountry, pic related
>>
File: image.jpg (341KB, 1633x1225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341KB, 1633x1225px
Mammoth rn
>>
What's the advantage of a ski jacket over a hiking rain jacket? I've been skiing with a Patagonia rain shell over my layers and it seems to be work. Just don't want to buy *another* technical upper layer.
>>
>>897718
They tend to have more features such as powder skirts, goggle pockets, etc, and often have more robust construction because skiing is a more physical sport.

Lower end rain coats may also not be seam sealed, a problem I ran into back in my cheap gear days. After skiing a few days with a low-end Columbia rain jacket, it leaked like a sieve in the rain.
>>
File: image.jpg (194KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194KB, 900x506px
Kristoffersen!
>>
>>897377
You just ski it. Don't use a forward agressive style, ride on top of the snow. In steep hill you might want to throw your skis around when turning, to keep speed down a bit. Use skis with rocker in the tip atleast, but tip+tail rocker or full rocker is usually better. 100+ waist, depending on depth of powder, how loose it is and your size.
>>
>>899351
>svindal
>>
File: your average skiers.png (129KB, 458x295px) Image search: [Google]
your average skiers.png
129KB, 458x295px
Skiing is so gay.
>>
>>899899
>that guy at the top knowing he has made a mistake
>>
>>899866
Yeah, shame. He'll be back though to win again.
Is it just me that think it's more exiting with a race where there are few accidents and a close field, than the kitsbuhel-bullshit this weekend?
>>
>>900137
Streif was in absolute dogshit shape for that race. Unskiable desu and they made the correct decision to stop the race after 30 skiers. Just imagine the carnage the back markers would've caused when even top of the pack had 3 guys go out that badly. Those airbag thingies some of the racers have are pretty cool though. And make for good comical reliefs after crashes, that is of course when they can walk it off.

That course is hard enough even when it's in perfect shape and it was a fucking potato field for some parts of the course. It would've probably been in better shape if it didn't dump snow for the night before the race.

And those fucking slalom courses... If 40 guys don't finish the first round the course setter hasn't succeeded. I'm all for marking hard and technical courses but you've gotta keep it within reasonable limits. A course that hardly anyone can finish doesn't make for good racing.

And yeah it makes much more fun to watch if you've got multiple people legitimately fighting for the win. Watching women's speed events has been Lindsey wins again for all season while slalom was Mikaela wins before she got hurt. Can't wait for Maze and Fenninger to get back on skis for next season. Might even get some legitimate contest on the women's events.

Are we ever going to get full length Wengen and Kitzbuhel downhill races in the same season? It feels like there's always something with the weather forcing them shorten the course on at least one of them.
>>
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia here.

Got some decent snow, went up today but just wasn't feeling it for some reason... pissed me off.

Anyone else try to pick up girls on the chairlift? I never seem to get seated next to cuties.
>>
>>900607
>tfw too autistic to actually talk to any of the qt3.14 snowbunnies on lifts.
>>
>>900661
It's not hard man, just talk about skiing ffs.

It seems every cute girl on my mountain has a bf tho
>>
>>900661
Ask if they are familiar, say you are new to the resort (assuming you are of course), and want some tips about where to ride etc. Take it from there. Even try just asking the time, it's an opening. Hopefully the conversation can evolve from that, if not, no big loss.
>>
>>900682
>>900733
I know it's not supposed to be hard. But as I said I'm literally autistic so it's not easy. Especially when I can't small talk to save my life.

At least I can talk to people without freaking out nowadays. I'm slowly making progress with all this human interaction shit.
>>
>>900796
Remember, if you fail, nobody will know except her and possibly some friends of her you will never see again.

Good luck.
>>
>>900886
I know all that, in theory. Putting it to practise is what's the hard part. I try to talk to people daily and get better on this stuff though. And I'm fine interacting with people I know even remotely already. Where I'm still struggling is starting a conversation with a complete stranger but I'm getting there.

I'm not even that ugly and in great shape so I could even have some success if I could overcome my autism.
>>
lel it's 5°C again in Switzerland
No pow and most of the snow is hard as dimonds from all the artificial snow.
>>
>>911198
>hating hard as diamonds artificial snow
It's nice change from pow when it's not available. And miles ahead of soft pistes.
>>
>>911198
Do you know how it's like in Sölden, Austria? Have some friends going there on friday, I was supposed to as well but changed my mind, gonna save the money instead..
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.