[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 32

File: 1484934510595.jpg (55KB, 394x441px) Image search: [Google]
1484934510595.jpg
55KB, 394x441px
Previous thread:
>>2623543

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
More to come...
>>
lemme tell you about a guy, we will call him dan
dan sucks, he wants to do martial arts but he doesn't listen, he's completely uncoachable.
you show him something and then ask him to do it at a later date, he will say you never showed it to him and make excuses. When you try to show him a new move and break it down, he flails around and tries to do it full speed. No, stop trying to do it fast, do it slow and correctly
spazzes as he flails again
no, do it slow, break it down like I did.
Ok ok I got it!
obviously you don't because you're not doing it right.
And still he continues to flail his arms, torque his knee and stiff leg is way through round kicks because he wants to do them fast.
forget about sparring, he keeps trying to "win" at sparring, he swings wildly with no technique as hard as he can instead of just working on good movement and distancing like was explained to him. He gets cocky and mistakes the fact that nobody is trying to knock him out with the idea that he's actually good.
of course he's a bitch too because if he even takes a slight bump he goes and mopes on the bench or goes home all pissed off.
grappling is even worse, he's a selfish and terrible uke. He wants to do reps on people and uses up all the time, but when it's his turn for someone to get reps in on him he walks off the floor. and Of course just like with stand up, he tries to rush through the moves at full speed instead of breaking them down slowly the first few times, so he never gets them.
>>
>>2655286
His attempt to win at grappling is even more unfortunate. You can get lucky and tag someone better than you if they aren't paying attention, but you aren't going to accidentally beat a superior grappler when you're wrestling with them. He acts like a bull, spazzing as always, no technique, muscling everything, and he gets hurt every single time because he jumps around like an asshole. He pulled someone down on his own knee and twisted it sideways, and later on hit himself in the nuts with someone elses body. So after showing up to class late, not participating in the lesson, and rolling for a total of 3 minutes because he got hurt both times he tried it, he shuffled out complaining about getting hurt again.
And he gets hurt every time, no question. Of course everyone gets a few bumps and bruises here and there, but he is benched every single time he goes to class because he acts like a fool and puts himself and his partner in unsafe positions by throwing his body around recklessly. beginners arent even supposed to start on their feet because they don't know how to safely give or receive takedowns, but he insists on standing up. How many times has he ended up laid out because he got the wind knocked out of him or hit his head from not knowing how to fall correctly? I've lost count at this point
everybody knows a dan

dont be a dan
>>
>>2655290
>dont be a dan
But that's my training goal.
>>
File: k in a nutshell.jpg (60KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
k in a nutshell.jpg
60KB, 960x720px
>>2655003
There's a thread over on /lgbt/ in which some folks of that demographic mention that they would like to learn fighting and self-defense, but that a lot of gyms don't exactly feel safe or welcoming to those sorts of newcomers. Are there any good resources for finding martial arts instructors that are specifically LGBT+ friendly, or who are otherwise vetted by the LGBT+ community?
>>
>>2655442
lol
I doubt any teacher gives any amount of shit, if they accept females they're not gonna have any problems with dragon-kin panter-sexuals
>>
>>2655549
Most teachers I've found don't give a shit, but dojo culture varies a lot. For instance, my sister quit BJJ because the local group was a bunch of dudes who treated women like shit (she was the only female there for the several months she went to train), whereas I've been in BJJ classes with female instructors.
>>
>>2655571
I don't think any situation in which there's only one female and a lot of guys is gonna be comfortable, especially if the guys are a bunch of showoff dudebros
>>
>>2655637
The issue was openly lewd sexual harassment that was ignored by the instructor and senior students. It doesn't have to be that way, I've seen all-male groups of martial artists respectfully welcome new female students.

But, yeah,
>I don't think any situation in which there's only one female and a lot of guys is gonna be comfortable, especially if the guys are a bunch of showoff dudebros
is why I was asking about places that were pre-vetted as being LGBT+ friendly.
>>
>>2655442
>>2655644
I think your question is faggoty. What does lgbt friendly mean? why would your coach even know that you're lgbt?
>>
File: 1471448856805.jpg (92KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1471448856805.jpg
92KB, 500x376px
I'm about to start doing MA. How do I go about choosing a club? Should I look at achievements in tournaments, how long the club has been, belt ranks, or should I go spectate a training session if possible?
There's one club near me, but the teachers are two women, first dan and the other is a kyu. From what I've seen in photos, they mostly teach children.
>>
>>2655804
Depends on your goals. Do you want to compete in tournaments? Then definitely check if they've got competing students and if they're doing well. Do you want to learn how to fight? Make sure they do sparring and not the lightly touching "I got a point" kind.
>>
>>2655709
>I think your question is faggoty
Quite literally.

Some queers and fags and what have yous have mannerisms outside of the gender norms and a lot of trans folks don't pass perfectly. They stick out, and they get the shit kicked out of them more than any other minority group in the United States (pic related).

LGBT+ friendly would be a gym culture that prevents legitimate harassment of these folks. Some of them are even afraid to try attending a gym for fear of abuse by dudebros. As a straight dude, I haven't noticed that being a problem most places, but other people have had problems, especially when they're new, and it'd be cool to be able to point them towards resources in the future.
>>
>>2655804

This: >>2655858
>>
>>2655858
>>2655908
Sparring is fundamental to my MA, so that should be the primary thing in any self-respecting club. I just want to know what to look for.
>>
>>2655804
If high level classes combine kids and adults, it's something even a kid could do
>>
>>2655003
>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
>>2655923

be unbiased and objective to see anything in the first place
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact
>>
>>2655804
>>2655927
Kids can do calculus. It doesn't matter how old you are; as long as you apply yourself, and put in the time and effort you develop skill.
However, if 8 year olds are doing just as well as adults in sparring, and those 8 year olds aren't getting their asses handed to them just because of the adult's superior reach, leverage, neural development, strength, and what not, then that's unusual and warrants further investigation.
>>
>>2656010
Too bad you don't get a sheet of paper with calculus on it when fighting
>>
>>2655998
I've read that, but those are things you can judge if you train there. I'm was asking about immediate cues and information that's already available.
>>
>>2656037
That's mostly judging a book by its cover, check if it's point sparring, if the martial art itself has had merits in mma, if the instructor avoids saying what he was taught

If it does well in competitions, even if the martial art itself isn't ideal you know you're learning what works for them and you'll be able to adapt it to realistic fighting
>>
>>2655865
I hope you spread this message. Nobody is being mean to them because they are gay, people are being mean to them because they are acting like faggots. The way they look, the way they sound, flapping their wrists and speaking with an cunty inflection. they are offensive to the senses and people don't want to be around them.

a lot of the gays seem to confuse being disliked for being a total weirdo for being disliked for being gay
>>
>>2656083
I think that anon's message is different from what you think it is
>>
>Because karate drilling takes the form of uke throws a single punch that is too far to even land, then tori rushes in, blocks, and delivers a six hit combo while uke stands there in bow stance with his punching arm still out and his other chambered at his hip.

People get stun locked in real life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Qye0vMvAA
>>
>>2656560
Being from karate, that is something many teachers do that should be avoided.
To be fair though, something that almost everyone who doesn't do karate doesn't get is that they're kata applications, these instructors find themselves with a set combination of movements and fail spectacularly in getting something rational out of them
The same people will tell you very rational things in comparison when teaching sparring
>>
>>2656683
How would you change it?
>>
>>2657498
Being able to open youtube and seeing what everyone else comes up with, then picking the things that make sense would be a good start
Realizing they don't all have a sparring setting, realizing that if you don't know how to grapple you will probably come up with wrong things when it comes to grappling
Avoiding compliance of course
A transition from a parry to a strike can be another parry, the start of a parry can be the actual parry and the end of the parry can be a strike, the form doesn't train footwork but weight distribution, if you start adding footwork everything makes more sense

And honestly, I'd just put less emphasis on katas, if you don't know why you're making a movement, well, why are you making it? Better yet, why are you making other people do it?
Though that's something only higher ups can change
>>
>>2657620
>Though that's something only higher ups can change
Nonsense. With knowledge and the will to apply it, a single man can change the world.
>>
>>2657620
Is someone who knows the secrets of kata still alive or did the secrets die with him? Why don't we just kindly ask him to tell us his secrets? We could say pretty please with sprinkles on top.
>>
>>2656129
>implying those fags don't want to be bullied and raped in the locker room
>>
>>2657641
It's more about the mentality, take Zenpo Shimabukuro who teaches a style that gives particular importance to application, you can see things here and there, but it's like 15 minutes of footage in total
You have to actually go there to be his student, and many things will probably only be shared with the oldest students
Those few who will become long-time students will themselves repeat the cycle

Then there's shotokan where all teachers force the point-sparring setting to everything, making katas just become an unpractical version of the fundamentals

Majority of styles weren't taught with applications, they just had the poor fuck repeat a kata hundreds of times, either because the teacher thought the meaning would come clear if thought about enough, or because he just didn't want everyone to know and kept things low key

Do notice though that it's not some genius ass-kicking techniques, just some striking combined with a little jiu-jitsu that in origin were kung-fu forms that got "rationalized", they're not worth being autistic about
>>
>>2657641
>someone who knows the secrets of kata still alive or did the secrets die with him?
chojun miyagi invented kata, and he was very clear about the intention of it

gekisai dai ichi, the very first kata, was developed as demonstration to show karate to prospective students who didn't know what karate was.
he then saw the students doing kata as exercise so he made up some more for that purpose to add some variety. That's it...there really isn't anything mystical or unknown about it
>>
>>2657730
Didn't Higashionna teach him some and then Miyagi went to china and modified some from there?
Tensho was inspired by white crane hand forms, and gekisai is as you said?
I don't think he made more katas out of the blue
>>
File: woman beating man.jpg (23KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
woman beating man.jpg
23KB, 333x333px
>>2657628
>With knowledge and the will to apply it, a single man can change the world.
Because married men are always being nagged by their wives, am I right?!
>>
File: Bitmap_in_sa_Gekisai_dai_ichi.jpg (232KB, 544x784px) Image search: [Google]
Bitmap_in_sa_Gekisai_dai_ichi.jpg
232KB, 544x784px
Let's talk about Gekisai Dai Ichi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKLX3tZN1JQ

Let's talk about the first two moves.
>rising "block
>reverse punch

How are you supposed to apply this? How are some ways you could apply this? What things is the Uke doing?
>>
>>2657620
>katas, if you don't know why you're making a movement, well, why are you making it? Better yet, why are you making other people do it?
When I did TKD, we were taught that katas were scripted shadowboxing and every movement was analyzed. The instructor would often explain by having other instructors and higher level students play the part of the bad guys when explaining what was going on in the kata.
>>
>>2657697
They don't, that's why many of them are afraid to show up.
>>
>>2657958
First block is against a hammer fist, maybe with a knife, and then you punch punch the dude trying to stab you.
>>
>>2655425

Kek.

>>2657641

The "the secrets of kata" are not that important.
I mean they are important for training, but the application is not really that important. Just like the highes Judo grades have "weapon movements", but htey are completely irrelevant to modern Judo. And not that great for weapon fighting either. Often they come from ancient scenarios that are not useful for the average fighter anymore.

In other words:
If you train Karate and cross-train in something like Judo, Aikido or a weapon art you'll suddenly recognise the "secret kata" movements. Mind that old school Karate had things like Tonfas..

>>2657958

I think it's mostly about developing powerful short movements.

But if you want an application:
The rising block can be a simple block against an overhand chop or it can be a grip break (the blocking hand knocks the hand away from the sleeve of your other hand).

Similar to the Gedan Barai:
The most sensible explanation is a grip break, if imagine (in the video) Uke grabbing Tori's right hand, Tori steps back while moving his right hand back and makes a powerful small backfist strike with his left at the same time.
>>
>>2657958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP9KJIcHEqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrWqTMKEcs

>>2658175
That's what everyone does, thing is it's not pressure tested, so you can explain it off as just about anything
>>
>>2658519
>thing is it's not pressure tested
You don't apply those learned techniques to sparring and self-defense scenarios?
>>
>>2658604
The scenarios in which they are applied are utterly fake and non-competitive
>>
>>2658609
That's disappointing. My judo/tkd/bjj school had scenario sparring and kata was a major way techniques were taught and drilled.
>>
>>2658628

But that's exactly the deal about Self Defense: You try to hit somewhere where it really Deals damage.

You can't apply realistic Groin Kicks or knife Defense in sparring. I mean when you train with weapons a Lot you can evenetually Start controlled "sparring", but that takes Time.
>>
>>2658609
People start kickboxing off with jabs a lot more than overhands. Maybe it's a good way to throw your opponent of by going straight to throwing an overhand. Then maybe it'll become popular and everyone will start to train it, then people will start training to defend against it, like the superman punch in mma. Then People will start using the rising block more.
>>
>>2658657
>you can't apply realistic Groin Kicks
Wear a cup.

>knife Defense
Use a polymer trainer, a marker, or, if you're really fancy, a shock knife.
>>
>>2657958
This guy says the rising block is supposed to hit your opponent's chin or armpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wthbaoK55fM
>>
My rib is broken but I'm still training. I can still train, it's not bad, but today I got kneed right in the broken rib. Is it a bad idea?
>>
>>2658738
Probably. Ask your sports doc. What are you training?
>>
>>2658628
Judo katas are an entirely different breed, those are fine

>>2658730
Blocks have indeed a second striking purpose, but the modern way is not necessarily worse, it's just a sparring at longer distance and in reality they transform into parries

And even in the modern training way they are used properly, you just have to close the distance instead of remaining at extended arm range
>>
Why do Chinese martial arts seem to get such a bad rap?
>>
>>2658854
Barely any competition
>>
>>2658854
tl;dr: the real ones got killed off during the Cultural Revolution as the Party oscillated between encouraging and executing martial artists and they've only now started to recover with shit like Sanda.
>>
>>2658854
Because it's more about developing technique, building character, and getting knowledge of the martial art, instead of muh ultimate fighting championship gains bro.
>>
>>2658863
>implying actually developing technique, building character, and getting knowledge of the martial art doesn't lead to muh ultimate fighting championship gains
Your gymnastics are a perfectly valid form of physical fitness, but please stop trying to pretend that any Chinese discipline other than Sanda has been relevant as a martial art in recent decades.
>>
>>2658911
Martial arts lost their relevance a long time ago so it's not about defending yourself in realistic situations anymore and more about defending your rank in your game's leader board ranking.
>>
>>2658854
modernization got them culturally rekt
>>
>>2658911
>implying actually developing technique, building character, and getting knowledge of the martial art doesn't lead to muh ultimate fighting championship gains
Character and knowledge alone only gets most people so far.
>>
How do I iron palm train my fingers to pierce flesh?
>>
>>2659090
It's a 2 for 1 deal. Not only can you pierce flesh, you also get arthritis.
>>
>>2659090
Finger push-ups, start on your knees and/or just feeling the weight without actually doing push-ups
>>
>>2658723

>Wear a cup.

What a great idea.
But the problem is you can train the kick but you won't know about it's stopping power. Is a tiny snap kick enough or not?

>knife Defense
Use a polymer trainer, a marker, or, if you're really fancy, a shock knife.

There are several problems with that.

People attack fearless against a rubber knife, but it's only a game. When real weapons are involved it's something completely different.

Markers are great for demonstrating that (unarmed) knife defense is almost impossible.

Shock knifes are nice, but super expensive.

But the biggest problem is:
To really have a chance against a knife (without a weapon) you have to crush someone like a truck and try to keep the knife from your vital areas. But that isn't something you can simulate very good. Let's say the other one is slow you can manage to blow his kneecap with a kick with your boot. Or his attack is stupid and he gives you an entry, then you can smash your palm on his nose and follow up with a string elbow in his face. It's a small chance, but if you have to try..

But you have to strike with the utmost brutality, one tiny mistake and you're done. So you can't really simulate that very well, you don't know if in reality the other guy would have managed to gut stab you in the very last moment. and made you bleed out.

As I said before: if you train with weapons a lot you can slowly introduce sparring , but it's never as close to reality as boxing or kickboxing is.

You best bet is any kind of weapon and finishing him off from distance.

>>2659101

Only if you overdo it.

Also if you are desperate enough to turn your body into a weapon to pierce flesh, chances are that you have such strong enemies that you won't get old enough to get arthritis..

>>2659102

Solid advice here.

>>2658911

>Martial arts lost their relevance a long time ago

Depends on where you live and what kind of work you do.
>>
>>2659160
>Martial arts lost their relevance a long time ago
Not what I said, reread the post. I was talking trash on the Chinese ones specifically.
>>
>>2658723
There is sno realistic knife defense. Just guts over shitty technique and luck.
Video related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is
This video should be stickied in every /mag/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j55d8uqvKDQ
and this one too.
>>
>>2659171

OK, sorry.

>>2659173

This.

Unless you have a weapon yourself or your attacker is really really stupid you have an incredibly small chance of surviving a knife attack.

This guy here gets it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw
>>
>>2659173
>Paul Vunak will never teach you how to fly
>>
>>2659160
>Markers are great for demonstrating that (unarmed) knife defense is almost impossible.
Except tiny cuts here and there won't completely render you potato. It just shows that most of the time you won't come out completely unarmed without breaking a sweat.

Knife and cloth shield fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hccyPJ7a8j4&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhccyPJ7a8j4&has_verified=1 [Embed]

Machete fight
youtube.com/watch?v=VhV9xTPRvaI [Embed]

Gang weapons fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrYUUIrR2o [Embed]

Knife vs unarmed fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTsM_YUOrQ [Embed]
>>
>>2659173

>the body goes into shock
>you're ready to pass out in about 15 seconds
He's exaggerating so much and generalizing so much without regard to realistic ratios and percentages that he's just spouting bullshit in order to help spread his bullshit.
Depends on the person, how much adrenaline is in them, their mental training, and a whole bunch of other factors.
You can get shot and still keep going. People break their arms, legs, ribs, while being severely contused and what not. These people are literally in extreme amounts of pain, but they keep going, and they don't go into shock. It happens all the time in fighting sports, Boxing, Kickboxing, Karate, Judo, MMA, but it also happens all the time football and rugby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_NyaDDcKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6udnRqCwc

If this kid was defending himself against a knife, despite his pain, he'd be running even faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxCR1NGxiY
>>
>>2659173
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is

Look at this guy. He gets stabbed in the fucking knife and he's still going.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGyxBgf0Is
Your video is complete fucking horse shit that should be burned into the fucking ground for being such fucking bullshit.
>>
>>2659173
This guy gets cut but that doesn't turn him into a little bitch boy like your stupid ass video is saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaGfiz7eNdc
>>
>>2659160
>People attack fearless against a rubber knife, but it's only a game. When real weapons are involved it's something completely different.
Yeah, fatty gets pissed off and then goes to town on the pussy who pulled a knife. You're right, it's no fucking game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDtEvolmfg
>>
>>2659173
>realistic knife defense: guts, shitty technique, and luck
That's pretty much how you train knife defense, you spar with a trainer and figure out how many minutes you'd have left to live without medical attention after the encounter. The main thing you learn is that knives are scary and fuck knives.
>>
When your opponent pulls out a knife, use a wield a skateboard. Skateboards have superior reach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef_uQatvOd0
>>
>old guy beats a young and fit guy in Boxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhue7k0eiEo&spfreload=10
>>
>>2659173
>and luck.
Luck doesn't exist.
There are variables at play that all contribute to outcomes, people for some reason can't understand that.
Variables can be accounted for. Accounting for every single variable is too hard.
Identifying the relevant variables and calculating the outcome is a little easier.
Identifying the relevant variables and calculating the probability of outcomes, that's even easier, and that's very, extremely possible.
>>
This guy disarms a knife wielder and gets out without a scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf34fOqpOLo
>>
>>2658854
Because people don't understand it's a weapon art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74of7h0wORo
>>
>>2659173
This guy gets stabbed in the neck, he's bleeding out, and he's still ready to fight. He's walking around, he's using footwork, he's still defending himself, he's still attacking.

http://video.sanook.com/player/861641/
>>
>>2658768
MMA and goju ryu, had lots of kihon lately but yesterday was kickboxing
>>
>>2660360
Do not get hit in the broken rib, you dumb shit. Take care of your injuries and you get more training in the long term than if you ignore them.
>>
>>2659309
>>2659310
>>2659313
>>2659464
>>2659476
>>2659490

You're guys are missing the point. Nobody says you can't be lucky and win a knife fight. And most people win a knife fight if the other guy is a moron who doesn't really mean to kill or cripple you, but want to impress you.

I know two people who were attacked with a knife and survived, but both were trained fighters both had to be taken to hospital and both say they were lucky.

But if the other guy has any idea what he is doing and you have no weapon? Very though. At liveleak there's a lof of videos of people getting stabbed and die within 20 seconds.

A knife doesn't fight for you, but it makes it incredibly easy to inflict fatal wounds.

And if you look closely at the video from Vunak (second video here: >>2659173 ), you'll notice that at 0:08 he does a down slide at the forearm, which would effectively peel off your skin and make you bleed like a bitch. Hypovolemic shock is a thing..

Nobody says when you are fighting for your life you shouldn't fight like hell. But the quick and fancy disarms are mostly nonsense. A good knife fighter is quick on his feet and won't let you grab him (and especially not the knife) and cut you a lot of times.
>>
>>2660724
To become a good knife fighter you basically have to severely wound/kill dozens of people.
If where you're at the chance of being attacked by a serial killer is higher than just a random punk who wants to scare you, you should move.
>>
>>2659464
All these unarmed vs armed videos you're posting are insecure people not ready to commit murder.
What people talk about when discussing knife defense are criminals with a minimum of preparation.
Being able to fight your own grandma is not knife defense
>>
When do people generally start sparring in a good MA? I can't imagine they put a beginner boxer in the ring with someone on the first day like "Go and punch".
>>
>>2660728

>To become a good knife fighter you basically have to severely wound/kill dozens of people.

Or you could be less edgy (no pun intended) and just train with weapons..

>If where you're at the chance of being attacked by a serial killer is higher than just a random punk who wants to scare you, you should move.

Doesn't have to be a serial killer. There are a lot of thugs out there that aren't complete idiots and can throw a simple 1-2 combination..
>>
>>2660750

It totally depends on the martial art.

In Kyokushin Karate you do sparring from the very first lesson (of course people will go """soft""" on you).

In Judo or Wrestling you need enough preparation to not break your back, but then it's pretty straight foreward.

In weapon-based martial arts it takes much longer, since you don't want some idiot someone swinging around a big weapon..
>>
>>2660757
If you can't train to defend against a weapon without real weapons as was claimed, you can't train to use one without actually trying to stab someone for real.
>>
>>2660762

This is wrong.

We were talking about a scenario "one guy with a knife attacks you, you have no weapon". And this is a really fuck up scenario.

But you can train with weapons, and then it's a different story. If you have a solid stick (baseball bat sized) and someone comes at you with a knife, your chances are much higher to survive, simply because the other guy can't just close the distance. And so on.

You don't want to get taken down? Train a grappling martial art to learn how to counter takedowns.

You don't want to get punched or kicked? Train some punching/kicking martial art to learn how to block and move away.

You don't want to get knifed? Train a weapon martial art to learn how to hit your enemy with a weapon before he can hit you.

It's not that complicated..
>>
>>2655003

Hello /asp/, do you think that it is necessary for me to train cardio (mobility and strength too) for MT before going to a club ?

I did some boxing once and I remember that i clearly wasn't fit enough to complete just one session.

I've read from here and /fit/ that the best preparation for MT I could do was actually going to the classes. But if I could train beforehand to not actually wind up too easily, isn't that worth it ?

Gym boxing are closed here for summer, so I'm actually planning on going back for September. Not very fit but I did some cardio this year, very light basis to work on, but it's here. (I run 8.5km for 60 minutes. Never did a full 10K because I run with time, not distance. Think I would do it in like 70/75mins, more or less).
Been thinking about doing HIIT training with bodyweight exercices (burpees, jumping jack etc.).

Am I doing something wrong /asp/ ? Is there a better way or mentality to develop before going back to these classes ?
>>
>>2660842
>But if I could train beforehand to not actually wind up too easily, isn't that worth it ?
Fuck that, go already. /fit/ and /asp/ were right, stop making excuses. Do MT with some cardio on the side if you insist on doing cardio. The best way to get fit for something is said something.
>>
>>2660842
IMO, yes, cardio is always a plus. Strength is optional, but I would vote for no.

At one hand, in good places you do cardio and stretching to be able to properly throw kicks and punches, and then some sparring on top. Some places are more demanding than others, but, afaik, usually muay thai tends to be in the heavy side, so be ready to endure it. And at the other hand, cardio is always a good basis for nearly all sports.

As for being prepared for MT, it doesn't matter how much you prepare yourself to it, nothing can substitute the experience, the real deal. Nothing can prepare yourself to take a punch to the face, except taking punches to the face, with the right protection and assistance if something goes wrong, obviously. So, it doesn't matter how much cardio you do, the first time a knee goes into your ribs it will hurt, but given time and training, it won't hurt as much and sometimes you can get over it an do something different to bend over and groan.

Now, if you want to do cardio as an excuse to not going into MT, stop being a pussy. If you want /asp/ approval to do six years of cardio before taking your first real MA lesson (to be ready to it), then you're not ready for this. Maybe some other sports in more fit to you. Ballet, maybe?
>>
>>2660856

I know anon. Gyms are closed here during summer (France), otherwise i would have gone already. My question was more: should I just wait till then and begin properly or should I start training already ?

Now that I think about it, my question sounds dumb. I should start training.
>>
>>2660864
>Now that I think about it, my question sounds dumb. I should start training.
That's the spirit, frenchfag. Maybe work on some parkour--after all, it is the French martial art of running away.

>(But for real, it's a good skill and a good workout.)
>>
Why do people bother learning MA's that have no/little real world application outside of their dojos? Why not learn a MA that is effective both in the ring and in real life? You can compete with just about any MA so why use a near useless one?
>>
>>2660872
Same reason people do dance and gymnastics, from what I've gathered.
>>
>>2660759
>of course people will go """soft""" on you
What are the repeating quotes implying, that they aren't going soft?
>>
>>2660872
Because they're more fun
Few people just want to learn to defend themselves but don't know anything about martial arts
>>
I am doing a tournament in july in white belt, but promotions are next month so I should be getting my blue belt before the tournament
is it too dishonorabu to still do the white belt division?
I can only stalemate with blue belts now but can't really beat them yet
>>
>>2661211
Tournaments aren't about beating up white belts, you can do that at your own gym. Tournaments are about finding the most challenging matchups the region can offer you and either beating them or learning from your loss how to beat them next time.
>>
>>2660864
>I should start training.
Indeed! Also, I presume they only close down in July I suppose, so you could already get a month of training in, maintain cardio over summer, then hop right back into it.

>>2661211
You get blue, you fight in blue. Seen this happen several times with promotions just before tournaments. Give it your best shot.
>>
>>2660724
>Nobody says you can't be lucky and win a knife fight.
>both say they were lucky
There is no such thing as luck. If they were less skilled, they'd do even worse. If they were more skilled, they'd do better. If their opponent was more skilled, they'd do worse. If their opponent was less skilled, they'd do better.
If they chose to not be there in the first place, they wouldn't have even been there in the first place.
It's not some roulette table of life. Everything that happened there happened because of the very choices they made to get them there in the first place.
The scenarios that happened will always be exactly the same no matter how many times you repeat it, because it's exactly the same. When the exact same thing happens, it's not going to change somewhere between the first time and the 173,995,147,859th time. It will be exactly the same every single time, life doesn't just change it up because god likes to add a little spice in his life. When you change something, then the outcome will be different. When you don't change something, the outcome will be exactly the same.
>>
>>2661227
>>2661266
maaaaan sheeeeiiiit
I'm going to have to change everything up
white belt 8 minute rounds, no wrist locks, leg locks, spine locks, or compression/slicers

blue belt, 15 minute rounds, all that stuff is legal except heel hooks
>>
>>2660360
>>2660477
>>2658738
>>2658768
Sports doctors will probably tell you the same thing: don't reinjure yourself. If your rib is so broken that you shouldn't be doing situps, you shouldn't be putting yourself in scenarios were you could be taking a bo staff to the rib.

Can you get kneed? Sure. Should you get kneed in your broken rib? No.

Can you do drills? Yes. Can you do drills that get you kicked in your broken rib? No. Should you do drills that get you kicked in your broken rib? No.

You should only do things that's within your partner's and your skill ability to keep your broken rib safe.

You can spar with your broken rib as long as you're good enough to not get hit in the rib and your opponent is good enough to not accidentally hit you in your rib.
>>
>>2661351
Now, at age 26, I laugh about how stupid people must be to have to get this kind of advice on 4chan.

At age 16, I was exactly the kind of person who needed this kind of advice.
>>
>>2661357
>At age 16, I was exactly the kind of person who needed this kind of advice.
I remember when I was in high school and I had a cracked toe. I had crutches and crutch walk-sprinted down a muddy, grassy hill so I could go smoke weed in the woods next to school during lunch. I didn't have any extra protection on my foot.
That was so stupid.
>>
>>2655865
>Some queers and fags and what have yous have mannerisms outside of the gender norms and a lot of trans folks don't pass perfectly.

So... they get shit for acting like faggots and they prefer to give up on those gyms instead of acting with respect for the dojo/gym/school.
>>
>>2661534
>go to gym
>get called a fag
>go to different gym
>>
>>2661534
No, they get shit for being trans, or the way they sound, or the way they hold themselves, or just for being queer. That kind of shit attitude can translate to physical violence, and LGBT+ is a demographic that gets targeted a lot, so it's perfectly rational that they'd be cautious.

When I wrestled in high school, we had a gay kid sign up. He dressed normally and talked normally, the only reason we knew he was gay was because we went to school with him. Coach had me work with him because he knew I would treat him like anyone else, and so I saw first hand that the kid was a hard worker who was there to learn and improve. Everyone else treated him like shit because they didn't want to wrestle the gay kid, didn't want a fag on the team, and just didn't want him to exist as a person. He had the coaches and like three teammates in his corner, but in the end the rest of the team very intentionally drove him away not just through exclusion and verbal abuse, but through threats and periodically kicking the shit out of him when no one was around to stop it (which I didn't find out about until after he left).
>>
>>2661577
>be a sissy queer
>expect to be taken seriously by men doing guy activities
pick one

oh noo! the guys who practice killing humans with their bare hands for fun are rough around the edges and not especially friendly!

the ballet school is next door, princess
>>
>>2661593
Martial arts is for women, too, you faggot.
>>
>>2660759
>>2660750

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_8ao3o5ohU
>>
>>2661593
There's a difference between rough around the edges and downright hostile, and not all queers are sissies--like I mentioned, that kid from high school seemed pretty normal and he worked really hard, he just liked to date dudes instead of dudettes. I've known several gays who were tougher than the average straight male.

Furthermore, an aspect of martial arts training is building character. If your dojo culture can't take the timid and weak and turn them into confident, strong fighters, your school is as weak as your masculinity.
>>
>>2661610
tough women
>>2661616
not everybody is cut out to be a fighter, people who are mentally weak are mentally weak. If you can't shrug off people saying insulting things to you then you aren't going to survive the training.
the instructors job is to break you down. its up to you to rebuild yourself
some people walk out the other side strong
most people give up and quit
>>
>>2661630
I'm a straight dude, so I get the normal level of shit. Women get either more shit or less shit, depending on where they go. Queers get the normal level of shit, or people go out of their way to shit on them. There is definitely strong potential for queers to get shit on a lot more than you or me.

>If you can't shrug off people saying insulting things to you
Again, shithead, it goes beyond verbal jabs a lot of the time. People go out of their way to injure people they don't like in training, and you're either really lucky or really sheltered if you've never seen that happen.

>people who are mentally weak are mentally weak
You don't say? It's a good thing for these people that a good martial arts and self defense program will help them build mental strength.
>>
>>2661630
>not everybody is cut out to be a fighter, people who are mentally weak are mentally weak.
Everybody can get stronger, straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or attack helicopter.
>>
>>2661645
>There is definitely strong potential for queers to get shit on a lot more than you or me.
bullshit

people who think they are the only ones who ever get shit about how they look or act deserve to be bullied.
how about the fat guy that walks in with a yellow rash guard and the whole room laughs at him when someone calls him pacman?
or the bald guy
or the black guy
or the short guy
or the really tall skinny guy

but nope, that's all just fine, gays need special treatment. no bully!
>>
>>2661663
LGBT have finally beat out Jews for the largest target of hate crime in the United States, so yes, queers do have a measurably rougher time of things than the lardos, manlets, lanklets, and even the niggers.

I'm not saying they should get special treatment, I'm saying they should get treated like everyone else in the dojo. Most of the teams and gyms I've belonged to were cool about that: if you showed up to train, you were judged by the work you put in and not by your lifestyle, be it queer, ex-felon, or whatever else. Some groups, however, seemed pretty okay with treating certain demographics like trash.
>>
>>2661287
>wrist locks
Don't let them grab the palm of your hand, yank free if you must. Fixes 90% of this problem.
>leg locks
Straight ankle you should know but hold feet like Charlie Chaplin, gain control of wrist/arm/head on endagered side, get close, get over the leg block your hip.
Kneebar: triangle your legs.
Figure four: stretch your leg, assist with other leg.
Calf slicer: so rare you shouldn't worry much. Stretch leg and use your free leg to assist and block any attempts.
>spine locks
Don't let them catch your head.
>compression/slicers
Calf slicer risk is low, be smart about defending armbars. Stack them if possible.
>>
>>2661721
stop being such a faggot mayne
>>
>>2661960
better watch who you're calling a faggot, queer, else I'll suck that dick right off of you
>>
>>2661721
>I'm saying they should get treated like everyone else in the dojo
which means getting called a faggot for acting like a faggot
>>
>>2661721
>jews
>hate crime
>>
File: Shoulda Paid More Attention.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Shoulda Paid More Attention.gif
2MB, 360x202px
Anyone have any stories about getting drunk and sparring or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ24PzCjvQ8&feature=youtu.be
>>
anyone mind directing me to the blackbelt registry people have to go on when they have their hands registered as deadly weapons?
you know, I keep overhearing hearing people throughout my life brag about being on it, but for some reason after years and years of searching I haven't been able to find it??
hmmm
>>
>>2662467
I gotchu, mah nigga.
Straight up, dawg, I gotchu, man.
Give me $100, and I'll take care of all that shit for you.
Yo, no joke, cuz.
I know all dat sheit, bro.
You ain't got to do all that bullshit, brothah.
Fuck the bullshit.
Give me $100, and we'll call it even, aiht?
>>
Thrust.
>>
Okay, I'm going to start doing this again and I'm not fucking around this time

dojoconditioningstudio dot com

Also, I used to namefag here back in the good ol days when the rasslefags were the oppressed cunts, has everyone gone into hiding like the jedi or do any namefaggots still post?
What do you /asp/ies think of this place?
>>
>>2663159
Some are around but reverted to being anonymous, and there's one kung fu autist
I think it's sad how hiro is a fucking retard that killed a board
>>
File: wew11.png (8KB, 953x176px) Image search: [Google]
wew11.png
8KB, 953x176px
>>2663159
Also sent ;)
>>
File: Gandhi-d.jpg (223KB, 618x464px) Image search: [Google]
Gandhi-d.jpg
223KB, 618x464px
>>2663202

Lol what the fuck did you just do?

>>2663176

Is it Wu? Please tell me it's Wu.
>>
>>2663222
White crane something
>>
>>2663159
What was your namefag?

Wish we still had Cambo, TKDbrah, and that gay guy whose name I can't remember.
>>
>>2663291
Cobra?
>>
>>2660978

>What are the repeating quotes implying, that they aren't going soft?

I am implying that they will be going VER soft for their power level. But you will still don't know what hit you..

It's difficult to explain. It's like when you do no sport at all and then you go jogging for the first time:
You will manage maybe a few hundred meters and then gasp for air. Now was it easy or hard? It was ridiculous for someone who does jogging every week, but it was pretty intense for you, right?

>>2661286

>There is no such thing as luck.

You might call it "karma" or "destiny" or "the force" if you prefer. The wrong time and place. The one second two late. The one faint you fall for. The blow you catched at the very last second that decided that you can plant yo fist in your opponents face instead of eating his instead.

Fighting is not an RPG where the level 7 paladin always wins against the level 5 warrior. Also the streets are not the ring. Sometimes you are tired or drunk or just had a bad day, sometimes you slip or didn't notice the guy behind you..

Call it waht you will..

>>2661593

Nonsense, there are amazing martial artists out there that are not straight. I think it's more a problem of the martial arts community (where people are often pretty macho) than a problem of training itself.

>>2663291

Anyone remeber Shivmaster?
He even uploaded some vids.. :)

And that sarcastic BJJ blackbelt.. what was his name again?
>>
File: do_not.jpg (31KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
do_not.jpg
31KB, 600x465px
Hahaha, oh shit, it's still up there:

>https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=773001

Right in the feels..
>>
>>2663415
Cuckmaster had vids? I need to see this shit
>>
>>2663389
>Cobra?

Yeah, I miss that guy, he was fun.

>>2663415
>Anyone remember Shivmaster?

How could anyone forget?

I remember Folkstyle too, he was always good for some grappling talk.
>>
>>2663427
Shit, I'm still on there under my old namefag
>>
>>2663415
>there are amazing martial artists out there that are not straight
butchy lesbians sure. Never seen any fags out there
>>
>>2663586
I had a gay patient who used to date a semi-professional kickboxer. Their idea of an evening well-spent was to get drunk and beat the shit out of eachother.
>>
>>2663797
gays can't fight
>>
>>2664388
The nurse's notes, bloodied knuckles, and dirty looks from security suggested otherwise.
>>
>>2664466
sounds like he got whooped if you ask me

oh wow, a fag could beat up another fag in a fag club. color me shocked

I'd offer to fight any gay 1v1 but I don't want to catch aids
>>
>>2664790
He tried to leave the emergency room, and when a guard tried to physically stop him, he defended himself. It took two additional guards and five nurses to get him restrained.
>>
>>2664827
my 90 year old grandfather had a heart attack, and started fighting with the nurses when he was groggy after surgery, blew his stitches out, they needed to call 5 people in to try and hold him down

I'm still not impressed
>>
>>2655442
>LGBT+ friendly
Most gyms I've been to accept fags, queers, hetros, men, women, xim/xers, furfags, muslims, jews, blacks, other-kin, non-binary, A through to Z, and inanimate furniture.

What they don't accept are pussies.
>>
it's sad that TMA have to die; all the techniques in bjj are taught in their most basic version as a kata; and they can even be quite beautiful. an arm drag to inside leg trip is soemthing that looks like it belongs in a kungfu movie

I just wish these arts could be revived; it would be so cool
>>
>>2664827
It took 3 policemen to get me into the back of the car when I was 5 years old, so what?
>>
>>2663291
>>2663389

It's me. If someone has been posting with my name in the past year or so, it's an imposter.

Good to be back you aspie faggots
>>
>>2663427
it says please don't throw trash here
>>
Had my first sparring session in TKD today. Was good fun except for the end - one of the instructors was training with me where my white-belt self was basically a moving target that kicked back sometimes. I wasn't aware he was coming back from a knee injury and we clashed legs and it didn't end well for him so that was a bit of a downer.
>>
>>2665349
Pls don't lie to me. My heart can't take it.

How's training been going?
>>
>>2665431
WTF or ITF?

To be fair, he took that risk himself, often as instructors we'll say that the most dangerous person on the mat is a white belt, they don't have a proper understanding of what they're doing yet and will muddle through things, injuring others and usually themselves in the process.

Don't feel too bad about it.
>>
>>2665450
WTF, I think.

I understand the white belts not really knowing what they're doing, and this was also probably a kick I didn't have to throw because it wasn't going to achieve much. However, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad if he had full mobility back in his leg which I think I at least helped expose as something for him to work on.
>>
File: phantommeme.jpg (47KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
phantommeme.jpg
47KB, 640x423px
>>2665443

Uh I've been training really hard in my new art "drinking beer and playing emulated N64 games on my PC."

I left this place and my training actually suffered a lot, you guys really did keep me motivated. I'm sick of always feeling like shit though so I'm taking private lessons with my old teacher again. My school shut down when the master's dementia got bad and he (finally) retired so now I have to start from square one with a different art if I want a physical BB around my sexy hips.

My bandmate is a 1st degree in Hapkido and we work out together now and again and I gave him the sob story of having to start at white when I was a brown belt in HRD. He was like "guess what you're a BB in Hapkido now because I'm a BB and I can make you one." so if anyone asks, that's what I do. If you saw me fight and had to take a guess what I did, you would definitely say Hapkido, so I suppose it's somewhat accurate. Hwarangdo rips off Hap a lot anyway.

I think I might just join an MMA school. IDK if I have it in me to wear a purple belt for two years again unless it's a BJJ one. MMA schools seem either bro-tier or meathead-tier so any MMAspies please advise.
>>
>>2665443

Thanks for asking Anon :3

nb
>>
What will judo and boxing do for me
>>
>>2665517
>>2665526
I know how you feel, I could spend a couple of hours on here previously and get super motivated for training, then when we became /wwe/ I kept training, but getting that outside motivation from all you guys went down the drain. As long as we keep these threads going, hopefully we can get back a tenth of the spark we used to have.

Dude, fuck all of that and just do judo, cheap and effective, train hard and get your BB in 4 years or so. You already know a shit ton of grappling, so you'll probably expedite the process even further.

Though I do have a soft spot for Hapkido, considering my roots are in TKD, I feel it's an art that can be good with a decent instructor, but finding one is pretty fucking difficult.

Keep us updated Fats.
>>
>>2665463
>WTF, I think.

Do you wear chest protectors? Do you spar full contact rather than "hard" contact? If so, you're doing olympic style, Kukkiwon Taekwondo AKA WTF.

I'm sure he won't be pissed off with you about it, I'm sure he knew it was a weak point before he started fighting you and is pissed at himself for letting himself get injured.
>>
>>2665552

Yeah it's the Olympic style, so WTF.
>>
>>2665540

Make you really fucking good at kicking ass.

Judo and Boxing is a highly recommended combo that a lot of people here agree on.

>>2665546

>do judo

My teacher I take lessons with is a 2nd degree in judo, and it's easily the most fun I've had doing MA, probably the art I was best at too.

Problem is, I have no practice space to do it and nobody I can toss. My instructor is like 63 years old and while he's in great shape, he likes to avoid falling if possible. There's a kajukenbo school in my town, that's probably the closest I could get.

I'd love to try TKD but holy shit is that a hit-or-miss art when it comes to school quality.
>>
>>2665560
>My teacher I take lessons with is a 2nd degree in judo, and it's easily the most fun I've had doing MA, probably the art I was best at too.
>Problem is, I have no practice space to do it and nobody I can toss. My instructor is like 63 years old and while he's in great shape, he likes to avoid falling if possible.
Recruit another student, fagtron.
>>
>>2665560
Thanks might give it a go as it's a lot cheaper unless you think Muay Thai and BJJ (a common combo I keep getting recommended) would be more worth it, but it costs an arm and a leg more. But I see a craze about BJJ today, don't wanna feel like I'm missing out
>>
Should we go back to tripfagging?
>>
>>2665573
>Recruit another student

Still doesn't solve my lack of mat space. I could talk to someone who runs a school and ask to pay them to use their mats, but I'm not sure how offensive it would be to say "Hey, I like your mats but I think your art sucks and your uniforms look gay and I'd rather do my own shit in the corner while you run a class."

>fagtron

There it is. I really missed you guys.

>>2665583

>Muay Thai and BJJ

Also good. If you care about kicks, Boxing+Judo won't accommodate you fully and you may one day have to add TKD or MT.

>costs an arm and a leg more

I have an ongoing joke in my group of MA buddies where I call dojos and schools "martial arts stores". You basically walk in, pay money, and walk out knowing how to do an arm bar. You BUY the arm bar. That's why I hate TMA sometimes, I don't walk into a convenience store for a drink only to have the manager come out and make me pledge my loyalty to him and buy a 7/11 uniform and recite the 7/11 oath every time I want a slurpee.

I'm assuming the BJJ is the most expensive one? Good BJJ is selling like hotcakes because it IS popular now, and it IS actually a fine product. It's great, but make no mistake, legit Gracie lineage Jiu-Jitsu is a large family business and they are a very wealthy family for a reason. Hwarangdo lost over half of their black belts because the grandmaster started demanding 50% of the income from schools. It was more about making money for one family with a cult. As far as hype, kung-fu was really popular in the 70's but there were a lot of frauds and now /asp/ hates it.

My advice? Sign NO contracts, maybe take a free week of classes or something if you can, or try judo grappling first (ne waza), which is like BJJ lite. If you hate grappling, you'll know and you won't be out $200. Do some mat surfing and take free classes or do drop-ins, I do that when I'm in between schools.

Sorry for the long-ass post, you just seem cool and I don't want you to get fucked.
>>
>>2665609
No need to apologise for the long post. I appreciate the guidance if anything. I know there's a few GB (Gracie Barra) nearby and they force you to buy their gi. Is this true? If so, I've checked online and they're like £120 (don't that in USD) plus membership which is bullshit. Judo seems like the one to be honest, as it's drop-in, no contracts and a lot nearer to me.
>>
>>2665586
Meh, one guy can be manageable but too many and it becomes a chatroom.
>>
>>2665613
Worth noting that Judo and BJJ are the same art with different rulesets, as a result, BJJ has more depth of technique on the ground, and Judo has more depth on your feet. A good Judo place will take whatever works within their ruleset, which is a lot of BJJ, whereas my experience of BJJ schools is that they can be quite insular. It's why you see all these "pro" fighters calling each other out and saying their jiu jitsu sucks and stuff.

Having said that, I know there are plenty of BJJ schools that encourage learning Judo, and plenty of BJJ black belts that have Judo black belts too.

Barra places do ask you to buy their own gi, at least every barra place I've ever heard of, where are you in the UK?
>>
>>2665626
West Mids / Staffordshire area I'm in dude
>>
>>2665635
OK, you've got some good Judo over there mate, I'm East Mids/Northants, and we often go over your way for comps and seminars.

If you're south Staffs, cross the border and go to Wolverhampton or Walsall. Walsall is where the british team trains, and Wolverhampton is just one of those clubs with a really high standard.

If they're both too far, then this is a useful tool http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/club-finder/
>>
>>2665609
>Still doesn't solve my lack of mat space.
You're a fucking faggot. My instructor learned judo on hardwood floors in Korea. When his village got bombed and the windows got busted out, they still used the practice space all winter. With my friends, we train in patches of grass. You can find space if you're not a lazy piece of shit, you don't have to be smashing each other off the ground stupid hard all the time to train.
>>
>>2665586
>>2665621

You know you fucking want to

>>2665613
>>2665626

>Buying uniforms

I get pissed off about this because I have perfectly good pants and gis, and there would logically be no reason for me to buy one with a school's logo on it other than extreme jewdom, especially when BJJ/Judo gis are like, the most durable objects on earth.

However, if I ran my own school I would probably want new people to buy the uniform because;
>It makes your class look really polished when new people walk in and don't see jizz-stained sweats and instead see nice clean uniforms of the same color scheme
>It nets you a little bit of money even if a student comes in and only takes 1-2 classes then quits so it wasn't a total waste of your time teaching them
>If a student drops a lot of money on a gi, they'll be less likely to bail because of the investment

I bought me some expensive running shoes and I only run because they represent like $70 going down the drain if I don't.

>>2665660

>My instructor learned judo on hardwood floors in Korea.

If you're trying to impress me, it's totally working, your teacher is so badass bro. I've trained on wood too, here's a reason Americans use mats, we're smarter than Koreans and don't need to act macho. This is why TMA sucks, injuries and shit conditions =/= better training. You've been watching too many kung-fu movies, and that's saying something coming from me.

>When his village got bombed and the windows got busted out, they still used the practice space all winter

Is that a pro wrestling character's backstory? Board up the fucking windows.

>With my friends, we train in patches of grass

Yeah and you guys look like huge retards to the normies walking by. My teacher has a yard, and while I can do flip falls on grass no problem, the theoretical student you told me to recruit might not be able to.

>You can find space

I've been asking for suggestions on how to do that without playing grabass in the park with you and your friends.
>>
>>2665643
Simkin is the one in Walsall right?

My judo club near me is called Friary judo club. can you vouch for it
>>
>>2665700
>muh machoism
>b-but i dont wanna look like a fag
Cobra pls
>>
>>2665729
This is the Walsall one

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/gb-judo/gb-world-class-performance-programme/centre-of-excellence/

I've met a couple of older guys from Friary in the past and they've had a decent standard of judo, both stand up and ground work. The head coach is on the british masters team, which is a good sign. I would train there.
>>
>>2665097
>muslims
not us. Well sort of
one person got kicked out because he refused to bow during judo because it was "against his religion" so he was told, you can bow to people or you can leave
>>
>>2665749
Touche', Anon

on that note, who here /teach/? Because I have food for thought.

Why do MAists have to come in the two flavors of Pussy and Badass? Like, it seems like there's no in-between, even with like, blue belts. With kids I can usually tell "Okay, I'm going to hate training you because you're a girly little bitch" or like "Oh yes this dude is going to be so tough in like three months"

Are we all born pussies and only through training do we become bad ass? Or are some of us just tough as ever-loving shit and born badasses who do judo in bombed-out wooden dojangs? How easy is it to change somebody's attitude? Can you make someone into a coachable athlete?

I still teach lessons to a guy who used to be one of my kid students when I started teaching, he's 19 now and he just has the softest touch, he's uncoordinated, and watches too much anime. It's cruel to say, but he sucks and I'm worried he'll always suck and want to shoot ninja energy blast jutsus out of his hands instead of doing pushups. I don't think I'm a bad teacher because I've done wonders with some people but holy fuck I'm getting really discouraged because its like "maybe these people were good all along and I had nothing to do with it". I'm not a hardass teacher either, I don't think he responds well to discipline and me being a dick, although I'm capable of it.

tl;dr picture the whiniest, most untalented student ever, like Luke Skywalker in Episode IV with a Naruto fanny pack. How do you teach this person?
>>
>>2665756

no bump

He's full of shit. Bin Laden was a black belt in Judo.
>>
>>2665871

Make him feel comfortable with the movements, gradually add some hardness.. Just kidding, full contact leg Kicks and Punches to the belly will work like a charm. Also More muscles = More Testosterone..
>>
File: 1480269801009.jpg (270KB, 946x949px) Image search: [Google]
1480269801009.jpg
270KB, 946x949px
>>2665871
It's the contrary for me, generally the better they are, the more probable it is they're gonna be faggots who don't care and do everything half-assed
The worse ones are calm, listen to everything and try to improve.

It's probably just extroverts vs introverts

Imqho you're always able (and responsible) to better them, it's just that you'll need something more drastic.
UNLESS they don't want to. Then you're talking to a wall and it's faster to make them go home and find something they actually want to do.

Seems like as a consequence of doing badly he 1) doesn't enjoy it 2) whines to always have an excuse as to why he underperforms 3) he could find it unfair that if he puts effort into it he doesn't do as well as others anyway.

He could need a wake up call, like postponing an exam because he's not ready
>>
>>2665871
>Why do MAists have to come in the two flavors of Pussy and Badass?

Well, you could say the same about all humans in every aspect of their lives. Those who want to be bosses and those who are fine being subordinates, alpha vs beta, bourgeois vs proletariats, etc. In a sense, MA only enhances what's already there: someone who's aggressive will be even more aggressive, while someone who's shy will have even more doubts and will retreat, specially when he learns how it feels to be punched on the face.

Now, personality is not the same than technique. Anyone with the proper training can apply techniques, desensitise to being hurt and overall be a better fighter, so even the most beta faggot with the proper training can KO or submit another guy... given he's willing to actually engage in a fight to begin with. As much as a stereotype is (and how wrong they got the training part), Mr. Miyagi in the original karate kid film is a good example of what I'm talking about.

You can wreck his house down, he won't flinch. But once in a fight, he can kill the hardened badass from the mall dojo.

(Although, technically Miyagi-san was the one running a mcdojo, but whatever)
>>
File: ck.jpg (18KB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
ck.jpg
18KB, 240x260px
>>2666094
cobra kai literally did nothing wrong
>>
>>2665871
>Why do MAists have to come in the two flavors of Pussy and Badass?
Muh slave and master or something
>>
File: duane.gif (3MB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
duane.gif
3MB, 255x191px
>>2665583
Where I live BJJ + Kickboxing is cheaper than Judo + Boxing
>>
Am I going to have an unpleasant time going into MA without any weigh training?
>>
>>2666399
No, cardio fitness is probably more important than weight training.
>>
>>2666229
Where do you live?
>>
File: ancient finns.jpg (59KB, 456x258px) Image search: [Google]
ancient finns.jpg
59KB, 456x258px
>>2666546
>>
>>2665753
Thanks I'll check it out then next week.
>>2666229
Yeah, where do you live? Brazil?
>>
>>2665871
Do you guys remember the retarded shitstorm that Wu spewed out when he couldnt figure out why two variations of the front snap kick were both called mae geri in Japanese?
>>
>>2668811
Do you guys remember how it's not cool to disrespect someone even if you don't like them?
>>
>>2669147
I know this isn't Wu because it's too coherent of a sentence, but you sound like a bitch so I'm going to guess you are the other dude who made a challenge and ran away
>>
>>2669259
There were so many challenges on /asp/ that never happened.

Who remembers the arab anon who said he would pay us all to fight in a tournament? It got way out of hand and taken far too seriously, that went on for weeks!
>>
>>2666094
>>2666166

This is bullshit, though.

I started martial arts with traditional Kung Fu. And then I went to Aikido and drank all the "oh no, violence is bad" Kool Aid. Over the years I practices many different martial arts and ended up with stuff like Judo and full contact Karate.

If you told me ten years ago that I would one day enjoy full contact fighting, I wouldn't have believed you. But I slowly worked my way up. I realized that all that fancy shit has a reason to be there, but it's absolutely useless if you can't get to the point to apply it. If you can fight with a Boxer without going down in the first few seconds THEN you can think about fancy WingTsun blocks or FMA Trappings and Guntings. If you can get lowkicked full power THEN you can think about a fancy Kung Fu scissors Machida style..

>>2669147

4chan is not a hugging box, but it's not even about disrespect. Everybody started stupid and weak. But not everybody is arrogant enough to think he's so much smarter than everybody else, even though these people are in this game much longer. Also Wu claimed a lot of stories that were dubious and even if they are true they were not very nice. I remember he said he was practicing Tai Chi in the park, then some old woman (!) came and was angry at him and kinda tried to shove him around - so he throw her with a Tomoe Nage (!!).. So is he a lier or a really unresponsible martial artist?

There are more stories like that.

So maybe you shouldn't be so reckless with YOUR opinions, buddy?
>>
>>2669389
>old lady wants to take grandkids to the park
>there's an autist there doing some slow-motion dance
>goes ask him nicely if he can do it on the other side of the park since he's scaring the kids
>he goes full mental
>"How dare you disrespect the effectiveness of tai chi chuan of the dragon lord! AAAAAAAAAAAAA"
>grabs her by the shoulders and jumps down
>old lady falls on her knees, no damage taken
>he falls on his elbows and almost dislocates a shoulder
>old lady goes away and calls the police
>"Oh shit, cameleon style, third form!"
>policeman decides not to bother the handicapped kid
>"Heh, I knew they would never find me with the invisibility form"
>>
File: keri-waza.png (38KB, 750x504px) Image search: [Google]
keri-waza.png
38KB, 750x504px
>>2665981

Maybe hard ass shit is what he's waiting for. We could train to "Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan

>>2666035
>something drastic

I'm very much at that stage. My greatest success with him so far is making him continue to do it. Used to be his parents forced him, now he pays me with his own money. But I still suspect if he wasn't living at home, he would quit. I made the mistake of playing Xbox with him once and now he always wants to quit and go do that. I'm literally telling a grown man "No Halo until you finish your side kicks" and I have to give him a dirty look when he whines.

>>2666094
I'm trying to activate his Nerd Rage by easing him into sparring an giving him 20% love taps, but I feel like I'm just bullying him, and he feels that way too. I'm about to just stand there and let him punch me a few times just so I can say "Okay, see how primal and awesome you feel beating on another person?" Like I feel like he needs to draw blood and win a fight or something to get more aggressive.

>>2668811
I remember he called me in to back him up and I was like "Oh no man, you got yourself into this one, and I don't speak japanese."

I wonder if he ever actually followed his dream of becoming a superhero and got violently knifed by a drug dealer.

>>2669147
Put your name back on, Wu, I'm here to defend you

>>2669339
When I had money, I wanted to hold my F.A.G.G.O.T.B.I.T.C.H. tournament and fly you guys to me so I could be Shang Tsung. I still do.

>>2669389
>>2669431

>he said he was practicing Tai Chi in the park, then some old woman came and was angry at him and kinda tried to shove him around so he throw her with a Tomoe Nage

$100 says that's no lie, that definitely sounds like something he would do

My only regret is not screencapping more of his posts because of the rich potential for memes. I do genuinely like Wu though, I think I actually have his email somewhere.

Oh shit I might actually have the power to summon him back here.
>>
>>2669902
If you keep talking about him he's likely to show up since he's probably still lurking.

I namefagged as him for awhile and gave good boxing advice before using this one. He eventually posted a very upset response and I don't think I've heard from him since.
>>
>>2669902
I have the thread from when baguaidiot said he would fight anon, immediately regretted it, and tried to save face by backing out over a camera
>>
>>2669389
I don't think you got my point.

My point is that some people will refuse to fight, even if they have the technical skills to win. You really need to push them very hard before snapping and applying what they know. And the opposite too, people who haven't trained but willing to start a fight just because, will keep on picking fights.

Actually, I think what you're talking about reinforces my point: I said anyone with "the proper training can... (get) desensitise to being hurt" and so on. I highly doubt your average meek beta will say "I know kung fu!" and become the local thug. He may become a more efficient fighter, but that's it.

Also, just to reinforce this, I think Miyagi san was running a mcdojo, and irl he would be the kind of coach that appears in youtube videos having her ass handed back to him.
>>
>>2670322
At the heart of a McDojo is the relentless, and often unscrupulous, pursuit of money. This often takes the form of inferior instruction, easy classes, franchised or multiple locations, black belt contracts, and other misc fees thst pop up.

Miyagi taught for free because he cared about Daniel as a human being and saw there was a need; Miyagi's integrity is further illustrated when he refused to train Daniel for the mere sake of retaining the tournament crown.

Were his techniques and methods bullshit outside the universe and canon of the movie series? Well...there is a reason people make fun of shitty martial arts by saying, 'wax on, wax off.' However, this does not make him McDojo.
>>
>>2670045

Hahaha, was it the the fight against CCCP that never happend?

Post it, please..

>>2670322

Fair enough, that's a valid point.
>>
>>2669389
>it's not about disrespect because I don't like him
>it's about disrespect because I don't like him
>>
>>2670045
Hey how about you go fuck yourself you liar.
>>
>>2670866
Please be Baguacuck. I'll fight you right now and I'm sitting in a sling.
>>
>>2670565
you know, its next to impossible to have a legitimate martial arts school and make money at the same time
some people do it, but its really unusual
the ones that stay afloat are doing so because they have pros fighting out of them and the club is taking a large cut of their winnings
>>
>>2675056
Or you could be not shit at a not shit martial art in a not shit area. :^)
>>
>>2670045
>pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>2675164
which is exactly why serras is barely scraping by
hmmmmmmm
>>
File: rolling ude.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
rolling ude.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-00-58.png (244KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-00-58.png
244KB, 800x1280px
>>2670772
>>2670866
>>2675195
not formatted; posting from tablet
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-01-08.png (310KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-01-08.png
310KB, 800x1280px
>>2676188
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-01-25.png (198KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-01-25.png
198KB, 800x1280px
>>2676190
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-01-46.png (215KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-01-46.png
215KB, 800x1280px
>>2676195
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-01.png (242KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-01.png
242KB, 800x1280px
>>2676199
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-28.png (225KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-28.png
225KB, 800x1280px
>>2676200
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-41.png (236KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-41.png
236KB, 800x1280px
>>2676203
order might have gotten mixed up. I can't preview on the tablet before uploading
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-55.png (221KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-02-55.png
221KB, 800x1280px
>>2676207
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-03-09.png (239KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-07-04-23-03-09.png
239KB, 800x1280px
>>2676212
That's all I have
>>
>>2676214
Also
https://youtu.be/JSXSZte2z-M
I think the light-skinned juvenile male of african heritage is baguajj
>>
>>2670835

There's a big difference between:
>I don't like him because he does Tai Chi, has a stupid hair cut or is not into full contact fighting!

..and:
>I don't like him because he is an annoying drama queen, constantly trying to give other people bad advice and has no sense of what can actually do and what not.

I have no problem when someone says "Hey, I do Tai Chi and it's super cool." But if this person tries to tell people how they should box and what not, but has no actual fighting experience - that's is not cool.

I mean we are martial artists. Talking shit about each other is part of everyday life. "Hey, BJJ guy, too bad you can't into throws, go pull some guard!" "Hey Judo guy, how about you learn some ground game!"

Nobody takes this too seriously. But then some traditional martial artists show up, try to explain people that they have bad technique and their special snowflake stye is so much better and then they wonder why they get a shitload of "fite me 1on1 or shuddup, m8!" kind of replies..

>>2675056

This.

Only exceptions are when a governing body is behind it, like in Judo or Wrestling where basically the goverment pays. Or you have something costly like BJJ - there are some guys can live pretty well from teaching it.

But the most respectful martial artists I met where people who were doing it because they love martial arst and they were always having other jobs as well. Martial arts teaches simpely doesn't pay, but it's a possibility to do waht you love without having to pay for it.

If you want money you are better of with something like Boxing or Kickboxing or even MMA where you have a paying audience. But the competition is of course hard.

>>2675389

Nasty.

>>2676188
>>2676261

Thanks..

Funny, there are even Bagua people that do sparring (even though it's an "internal" martial art.. ^_^).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CunEyAjgOuU

I just hope anon realized that he has to train something along his BaGua, maybe kickboxing or Judo.
>>
>>2676188
>>2676190
>>2676195
>>2676199
>>2676200
>>2676203
>>2676207
>>2676212
>>2676214
I remember this thread, everyone was ignoring TBDbrah by this point, even though he was also doing Muay Thai and BJJ. He was massively obnoxious though.

Seido was a cool namefag, did years of Wado-ryu before realising it was all a bunch of shit, wish those guys were here now to tell the gojufags to fuck off.
>>
>>2666229
>>2666681

Well of course it would be: it's at the same gym. Though you could add Judo to BJJ and Kickboxing if we're talking about the same city.
>>
>>2676662
>seido was cool
>the gojufags
Tbh seido could be a pretty decent namefag but was a bit of a sperg sometimes. And gojuposting is just the new pipebombposting, as unfotunate as it may be for any real gojufags who'd want to discuss it seriously.
>>
>>2676261
Are there any confirmed photos or videos of the old trip's? I'd love to know what pomf looks like
>>
>>2669902
>F.A.G.G.O.T.B.I.T.C.H.

oh god dare I ask?
>>
File: fist.gif (16KB, 262x301px) Image search: [Google]
fist.gif
16KB, 262x301px
>>2677191
>>2676662
motherfucker I never left! don't be so fucking butthurt that people have seen the light and are beginning to embrace the most hardcore martial arts style around
>>
>>2665871
Different temperaments and environment. It is said that even pro fighters are defined by personality. Even among the crazy competitive, you get Mayweathers and Golovkins.
Thread posts: 227
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.