[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 39

File: judo inoue.jpg (31KB, 334x450px) Image search: [Google]
judo inoue.jpg
31KB, 334x450px
Previous thread:
>>2573105

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
More to come...
>>
Had my first BJJ competition in almost exactly 3 years today. Results were so-so; got 3rd place in -82.3kg blue belt but didn't fight well at all.

On the plus side, I got to fight the UAEJJF -73kg world champion in the open class, and defeated him in exactly 37 seconds.
>>
File: new kata gurama.webm (646KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
new kata gurama.webm
646KB, 640x360px
>>
>>
File: ogoshi france.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ogoshi france.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>2623959
That was beautiful.
>>
File: world class TKD title holder.jpg (62KB, 479x632px) Image search: [Google]
world class TKD title holder.jpg
62KB, 479x632px
>>2623553
deus vult good victory my dude
>>
>>2623543
>https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos

>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
>vice
>>
>>2623553
Did you get him with a foot lock again, anon?
>>
>>2624083
>deus vult
I choked out a muzzie in a competiition once. was one of those fahreed ali usamma mohammad hijabi named guys. big kinky pube beard.
bat choke from half guard. He was unconscious before he could drop his hand to tap. Nigga was snoring when I let go
>>
>>2623543
>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

be unbiased and objective to see anything in the first place
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact
>>
I disagree with all this talk of physical conditioning being an important part of training. I hate classes with a lot of exercises because it fucks up my routine.
whoops, can't work out today because I know I will have to later
whoops, can't work out today because I went hard last night and need a day off
whoops, can't keep up at practice because I worked out today
fuck that shit. I'm not going to class to have someone who let's be honest here, is entirely unqualified in most cases to be leading exercise routines, to make me run laps and do push up and shit.

I'm there for technique practice, nothing else.
>>
>>2624896
In general I agree with you but some teachers can teach you conditioning specifically designed to improve your technique. Taking a few minutes every once and a while to teach and check your doing it right is certainly worth it.
>>
>>2624896
I agree, but in a less seemingly emotionally charged way.

Also, not just technique practice, but drills, sparring, knowledge, and martial artists, are also nice.
>>
Are some people just born with knockout power or what? What can I do exactly to develop it? What muscles need would be also need to be strengthened the most?
>>
>>2625196
Punch trees
>>
>>2624896
If you can't perform in gym because of a few rounds of running and pushups and shit the day before you need it even more.
>>
>>2624713
Yup. He limped a bit but I think he was okay, as I sort of messed up and slapped it on his calf instead of his achilles tendon.

First opponent wasn't that lucky and had to go to hospital unfortunately. Got the lock in place properly, and he didn't tap because apparently people in his club generally fail to submit him with it. Popped his foot.
>>
>>2625392
Kamogawa pls go
>>
>>2625402
So anons, I've been in Judo for 15 years now, and I've never cross trained in BJJ because I put most my spare time into Judo and lifting, so footlocks are something I only understand from a purely academic level.

If I were to fight in a BJJ competition, I think I'd probably tap if anyone even isolated my foot even without a lock because the injury rate just seems so high. Just how long do you have in a knee bar, heel hook or ankle lock before you dislocate or break something? For comparison, Juji gatame and ude garame can be applied with a lock that doesn't break pretty much indefinitely, if someone doesn't tap, you usually still have about 2-3 inches of play on the joint before injury occurs.
>>
>>2624896
I'm a judo coach and a fully qualified PT, I know more than you about your physical conditioning for the sport you have chosen to participate in. I agree with you to a point, a warm up should be enough to get your heart rate up and a decent sweat on without pushing you to be completely fatigued.

However >>2625396 is 100% correct. You can absolutely train hard twice in a day as long as you rest properly and eat well. Organise yourself better.
>>
>>2625406
what?
>>
>>2625410
With the exception of heel hooks, the problem isn't how dangerous footlocks are, it's how much people lack knowledge to apply and defend them. If you do not spend sufficient time on learning to understand them, you will not be able to judge the situation correctly. If then you are on the defending side versus someone who is actually competent with them (ie. my first opponent and me yesterday) shit hits the fan at some point.
This is, however, no different than upper body locks.

Still, even then, this was the very first time I injured someone with a straight ankle lock. I've seen far more injuries result from juji gatame and ude garami. To break it down lock by lock
>straight ankle: safe, you'll feel it long before your foot pops, takes a lot of force to pop
>calf slicer: again, safe as long as you don't refuse to tap, safer than it's biceps equivalent imo, as it's way more painful before injury occurs
>knee bar: see juji gatame, except the joint is less likely to pop - which does make people apply more force and tap later
>figure four: slightly tricky because it's quite painful at full force, but not painful enough to make everyone submit; high chace of injury beyond this point - luckily heals quite well over time in general
>heel hook: while, with proper understanding, it's a lot safer than most people think, this is the one foot lock that, when cranked, typically results in injury - the nastiest injury of them all to boot.

Other footlocks at full force will still leave the opponent some room to submit before injury occurs, this one not. It attacks a plethora of small and/or vulnerable ligaments in (first) ankle and (second) knee, and if you ignore the pain one of them will pop. Then a second one, etc. A proper heel hook will first make you feel pressure in ankle and knee - (safe-ish) then pain in the ankle (danger zone) after which injury is guaranteed. Problem is the danger zone is small, and can be skipped entirely if it's cranked.

Con't.
>>
>>2625196
Yes, some people are just born with it. There are maternity wards across the globe with floors lined with unconscious nurses because the babies were born with knockout power.
>>
>>2625447
To conclude, I would say that theoretically leg locks aren't more dangerous than their upper body equivalents, but there's two pitfalls:

>people study them less, resulting in poor risk assessment and thus more injuries
>leg injuries tend to heal less well and/or have a bigger impact because it's hard to let them rest for an extended period of time

Funnily, due to the lack of understanding, people often also tap waaaay to early. Yesterday I saw at least three straight ankle lock submissions that wouldn't even make me bat an eye had they been done against me.
>>
>>2624896
If you can work out after practice and have a full day work 5 out 7 days, you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>2625410
All submissions are not created equal. This especially true with leg locks. Then comes the issue of how the technique is applied. If it is full speed -full force - full torque on a properly locked heel hook, say bye bye to your knee joint. A normaly applied staight ankle lock can be defended with proper timing.
>>
>>2625447
>>2625456
Nice to see another grsppler here.
>>
any good martial arts for an overweight person? Im ready to lose weight after some deliveration. Im not morbidly obese, but i could definately lose a few pounds (thunder thighs and a bit of a belly) what kind of martial arts are there for people like me?
>>
>>2625662
boxing/kickboxing/muay thai + judo/bjj/wrestling
>>
>>2625422
>You can absolutely train hard twice in a day as long as you rest properly and eat well.
Not the anon you replied to, but you're stupid.
>>
>>2625759
Not the anon you replied to, but you're low energy.
>>
>>2625662
Goju-ryu + sumo
>>
>>2625662
Goju is based martial art.
>>
>>2625422
>I'm a judo coach and a fully qualified PT, I know more than you about your physical conditioning for the sport you have chosen to participate in.
>I'm a "qualified" PT so I'm always right and everybody else is wrong
>>
>>2625196
Good technique gives you knockout power. Lifting heavy weights gives you knockout power.
>>
>>2625406
*punch logs in hills
>>
>>2625924
It's not only about technique and lifting, some people just hit hard
>>
>>2625924
Quads, shoulders, back, triceps, and core?
>>
File: Esther-Lin-MMA-Fighting.jpg (92KB, 1020x679px) Image search: [Google]
Esther-Lin-MMA-Fighting.jpg
92KB, 1020x679px
I want to become a complete fighter and maybe transition to mma
I have been boxing for a year and a half and have some matches under my belt.
What is the best way to learn kicking/grappling etc...? Should i just join a mma gym or go to specific gyms (like bbj gym, then wrestling gym etc...)?
I was thinking about starting taekwondo (for kicking) then moving to something else
>>
>>2626087
MMA because they should be teaching you how to mix all of that stuff, but they don't anyways do because not all gyms are just as good as the other.
Kickboxing already has taekwondo kicks in it, but teach you how to mix punches and kicks. But not all kickboxing gyms are equally good and teach the same thing. You miss out on learning to set up advanced kicks in Kickboxing while taekwondo teaches that, but they teach it at a higher level, probably not right away.
But a good MMA gym will anyways be better, unless you're so smart that you don't need any of that.
>>
>>2626079
>some people just hit hard
It's obviously because of their chi (ki) super energy.
>>
>>2626241
Yeah, you see guys that have no muscles hit like trucks because of ki (naseem had allah ki)
>>
How do I find more sparring partners? Are there any events for sparring with people you don't know?
>>
>>2626348
In the same situation

The only place I find them is at my gym. Outside, my friends are too scared, so I just tell them to hit me and I'll.practice dodging instead
>>
>>2626087
SAMBO, seriously, it's like taking mma classes but organized and not shit. You practice grappling, takedowns, domination, striking and you get to carry people. Avoid mma classes at all costs, they give you a really shitty base and you end up not being good at anything, there is a reason no professional mma fighter learned to fight "through mma"
If you can't find sambo you can combine muay Thai and judo or with bjj, judo synchronizes better imo, and taking a fight to the ground is really dangerous in a real life scenario
>>
>>2626348
>>2626384
Just communicate with people, and use your social networking skills.

Anybody remember the discussion relating to wearing Tapout t-shirts or something?
If I recall correctly, there was some negative associations on here relating to wearing those shirts.

However, it was noted that wearing t-shirts would more easily allow one to communicate one's interests and hobbies more efficiently; this applies to apparel, not just t-shirts.
You could be walking down the street, down a shopping strip, around the mall, on a nature trail, in a park, anywhere, and see people, dozens of people, hundreds of people, thousands of people, but not talk to them or communicate with them.
By wearing, for example, a t-shirt relating to martial arts, and walking by a martial artist, the martial artist may notice the t-shirt and decide to communicate with you.

If you're introverted, have social anxiety, are socially awkward, some combination of the 3, or whatever, you shouldn't let that hold you back.
You can communicate with people directly, with or without martial arts apparel on, and figure out their hobbies and interests; you just might find a sparring partner, or 27.

Why not go a step further?
Do it yourself, or have some friends help you.
Make fliers, make cards, make posters, make a website, advertise online, advertise on Facebook, advertise on Twitter, advertise on 4chan, just advertise, even TV ads.
Get mats, lots of mats, get tape, use the available sand and grass.
Provide stacks and refreshments, provide some gloves, headgear, clothing, equipment.
Host a quad annual public martial arts get together sparring event.

Maybe see if senseis and coaches want to be referees.

Set designated sparring areas with the proper equipment for the proper rules sets, and the designated referees.

Make waivers for people to sign, or have them just give verbal agreements.

Hire some videography and photography students from local universities for cheap, have them do the do.
>>
>>2626087
>>2626489
Sambo guys end up being shit at striking, and get their asses kicked standing up. You also learn a lot of gi related moves that aren't applicable in MMA because you're not wearing a gi. Being that specialized is a recipe for getting your ass kicked.

MMA is the best base because you can easily transition to anything you want, while grapplers suck at striking and have a hard time there, and strikers suck at grappling and have a hard time there.

The reason is no professional MMA fighter learned to fight through MMA because of how new MMA is. A lot of people start out in one martial art, find out about MMA later in life or decide to do it later in life, so they have to round themselves out, that's why they train MMA instead of just training their one martial art and expect to win.
Just watch earlier UFC to see how Boxers would get their legs kicked, slammed into the ground, or submitted. Wrestlers would get knocked the fuck out, or submitted by superior ground game, if they didn't get their legs kicked in. Kickboxers would get thrown or taken down, and then they would get submitted. Muay Thai practitioners did pretty well since their so well rounded, but would always get demolished on the ground. Judoka would just stand there like a machine without a purpose because they wouldn't know what to do without a gi.

Rory MacDonald, being of a newer generation of fighters, is a MMA fighter, he trained in MMA, for MMA, and he ended up being one of the best fighters, and one of the youngest.

When you're so specialized, all your opponent has to do is work your weakness.

When you train MMA, you have no weakness, unlike the specialized retards.
>>
Why don't we design some nice martial arts themed apparel, that allows us to more easily identify and communicate with potential sparring partners, and is also fashionable?
>>
What would a 3-piece gi look like?
>>
>>2626518
>When you train MMA, you have no weakness
Nothing beats a well-placed pipebomb. Nothing.
>>
>>2626384
>so I just tell them to hit me and I'll.practice dodging instead
I did that with some people, and they complained about how my parrying and blocking hurt their forearms. Maybe I should buy some forearm guards.
>>
>>2626561
A nuke
>>
>>2625447
>>2625456
Thanks for the breakdown anon, I love reading about any and all grappling related stuff, even if I don't get to train in it myself. I've been trying to find someone to come down my judo club and give us all a decent seminar on leg locks so we can at least become accustomed to how they feel when being applied to yourself, and how to feel when the applying it yourself. BJJ just isn't all that popular around here.

>>2625521
So when using heel hooks in comps, do people often get screwed up knees, or do you often have enough time when in position to apply it smoothly without full crank even in a pressurised situation?
>>
>>2626633
Except a well placed pipebomb disables and beats a nuke.
>>
>>2626740
A well placed nuke destroys a pipebomb
>>
>>2624855

No.

This is how you end up with wing chun, tuite, or worse.
>>
>>2626555
jacket, trousers, rashguard.
>>
>>2626087
>I was thinking about starting taekwondo (for kicking) then moving to something else

The problem is the footwork and stances of TKD assume two things:

1. You aren't going to need to defend against takedowns, so feel free to stand up straight and tall and bounce on your toes.

2. Nobody's going to kick you in the leg, so feel free to turn completely sideways, making it impossible to check low kicks to the back of your rear leg.

The more time you spend in TKD, the farther below zero you're starting when you try to transition to MMA.

The kicks with the tiny bundle of pencil-thin bones that make up your foot instead of with your tibia are also inferior to thai or kyokushin kicks.
>>
>>2626827
>This is how you end up with wing chun, tuite, or worse.
It really isn't, how high are you?
>>
>>2626827
What's wrong with tuite? It's just throwless grappling, it's not even a martial art
>>
>>2626864

The guy's talking about "answering questions logically" and "scientifically valid facts."

That kind of talk is a gateway to some motherfucker drawing triangles in MS Paint to try to theorycraft why centerline punches beat real punches nine times out of ten.

The OP was already correct. If the gym is producing fit students and proven competitors it's already good.

>>2624855
This shit right here is the kind of thing a person who hasn't trained properly for years wouldn't be able to recognize anyway. Imagine your mother or walked into a good MMA gym and a hapkido studio. Can she tell which one's coaches are knowledgeable, able to evaluate students objectively, answers questions logically, or uses physical conditioning methods that follow "scientifically valid facts?"

No.

Can she tell which one has fat fuck students, a black belt club, and is teaching choreography?

The OP was a good post. The post responding to it added nothing to the conversation and muddied the waters.
>>
>>2626759
Not if it's a well-placed pipebomb.
>>
>>2626913
True, someone with no understanding whatsoever can't distinguish actual scientifically valid explanations from bullshit decorated with fancy words.
>>
>>2626974
>scientifically valid explanations
What a buzzword
>>
>>2626984
Useful stuff then. Whatever word you prefer.
>>
>>2626913
>That kind of talk is a gateway to some motherfucker drawing triangles in MS Paint to try to theorycraft why centerline punches beat real punches nine times out of ten.
It really isn't. Seriously, how much drugs have you taken?

>If the gym is producing fit students and proven competitors it's already good.
It says nothing about proven competitors. You can be fit but be very inflexible and prone to injury if you get fit without taking care of your body. You see people fail to stretch or stretch correctly all the time. You can have competitors all over the gym, but that doesn't mean that they're good, they all could've gotten their asses handed to them, but they still competed.
>>
>>2626913
>>2626974
>can't distinguish actual scientifically valid explanations from bullshit decorated with fancy words
That's exactly what your posts are indicating you're doing: failing to distinguish actual scientifically valid explanations from bullshit decorated with fancy words.
>>
>>2626913
>This shit right here is the kind of thing a person who hasn't trained properly for years wouldn't be able to recognize anyway.
You just need to be logical and know the basics about how to stretch and exercise, they teach this shit in elementary schools now.
>>
>>2626835
But the rash guard is just the shirt, not part of the suit.
>>
File: gtma_chest_guard000.jpg (258KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
gtma_chest_guard000.jpg
258KB, 1300x1300px
>>2627793
A thin chestguard then?

>gi=suit jacket
>gi pants=suit pants
>chestguard=vest
>>
>>2626555
A gi is already 3 pieces. Jacket, pants, belt.
>>
>>2626076
>>2625196
>>2625392
>>2625406

1:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XBkA8Zgxo
>>
I am to hold a tournament, headgear, fingerless gloves, shin pads, cups, and grappling gis

rules will basically be mma except with less restrictions.

How you feel about this? seems like a nice middle ground where you can fight for real but not worry about getting knocked retarded
>>
>>2628077
>not worry about getting knocked retarded
How so?

Elaborate, please.
>>
>>2628127
wearing protective gear on your head makes it safer to get hit, plus with a gi in play people are less inclined to head hunt with punches all day since there is other stuff you can do, which you normally cant
>>
>>2628172
The injury comes from your brane rattling around in the skull, and headgear does little to prevent that.
>>
>>2628214
its absorbs some of the impact, so there will be less rattle
>>
Anyone here like Greco-Roman?

I fucked my legs up bad years ago in a bicycle accident involving a semitrailer (ever had six wheels run over your legs? The last wheel doesn't hurt too much).

I can do Greco with any even more upper body focus, but the moment some someone gently nudges my thigh with their foot I collapse like a Skyrim guard ragdoll.

Sucks :(
>>
>>2628215
>so there will be less rattle
Um... Buddy...
>>
>>2628227
He's right, the force would've gone into rattling your head goes into compressing the headgear and going through the headgear particles. That's why denser foam tends to be more expensive.
>>
>>2628077
>>2628172
You still have to worry about getting knocked retarded unless the headgear gives you a false sense of security. The headgear does give you security, but it my be overrated by some people.

I propose something different:

>headgear, fingerless gloves, shin pads, cups, grappling gis
>you can grab the pants
>you get UFC allowed techniques
>no arm techniques to the head
>kicks and knees are allowed to the head
>you get 3.5min rounds instead of 5min rounds
>ground game will get stood up more often
>>
>have kickboxing but it's on a raft so it's like kickboxing but mixed with sumo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETrB7x37No
>>
>>2628038
Something about the way they're doing it makes it seem even dumber. Though I do think leg reaping trees is cool so what do I know.
>>
>>2626956
not if it's a well placed nuke
>>
File: masterpiece.jpg (133KB, 2457x1689px) Image search: [Google]
masterpiece.jpg
133KB, 2457x1689px
>>2628127
>>2628172
>>2628214
>>2628215
>>2628227
>>2628237
I made this MSpaint artwork to help y'all visualize what happens when the force of a punch or kick goes through headgear and into the head.
>>
>>2628335
which gets destroyed by a well placed pipebomb
>>
File: 42498ef95b8bf7b5420322015a997dbd.jpg (521KB, 798x1198px) Image search: [Google]
42498ef95b8bf7b5420322015a997dbd.jpg
521KB, 798x1198px
>>2626555
Maybe like a double breasted 3-piece suit but with a belt instead of buttons?
>>
>>2626555
t shirt under the gi?
>>
>>2623553
I had my first competition yesterday, woo
>>
>>2626518
Starting in Muay Thai has made BJJ pretty easy for me.
>>
>>2628224
>but the moment some someone gently nudges my thigh with their foot I collapse like a Skyrim guard ragdoll
What exactly did you do to your legs, anon?
>>
>>2628620
>I fucked my legs up bad years ago in a bicycle accident involving a semitrailer (ever had six wheels run over your legs? The last wheel doesn't hurt too much).
I imagine this would do it
>>
>>2628359
For some reason I was expecting a penis.

I need to get out of here...
>>
>>2628038
>kicking a tree with shoes on
What are they conditioning, the tree?
>>
>>2626689
You're welcome. Leg locks are a whole new world, I'm actually hoping at least some of them get reintroduced in Judo. Vain hope probably, but one can dream. Too much knowledge is being lost already - despite having an incomplete knowledge about them, and only being a brown belt in Judo, I already know far more about leg locks than the average Judo 5th dan, who is supposed to know them.

>heel hooks in comps
People get screwed for various reasons - attacker has too little control/time/is under stress etc and cranks it for example, or defender misjudges/takes the risk. If you nail the control position and go for the heel hook however, you can apply it with sufficient control to at least give them that choice.

Perfect execution of a heel hook takes a lot of finesse but - this is one of the reasons why it's dangerous - it'll still pop joints when done poorly.

>>2626518
>When you train MMA, you have no weakness, unlike the specialized retards.
Not true in my experience, as MMA people usually have a fairly wide array of skills, but often lack depth or even solid basics in one or more fields. For example, I train no gi once a week at most, but I generally maul the average MMA fighter in a grappling match because, compared to them, I eat, breath, live and shit grappling.

>>2628546
How'd it go?
>>
>>2628380
Which gets destroyed by a well placed nuke
>>
>>2628813
If the pipebomb were well-placed, it wouldn't be getting destroyed by the nuke, it would be destroying the nuke.
>>
>>2623553
Teammates made a few vids during the tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsfBYlt0w_U
>really popped his foot unfortunately, he went to the hospital - sent them an e-mail and turns out it isn't too bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMGpi81uQg
>open weight, this youngster is apparently the current UAEJJF -73kg world champion

Still uploading one more which I lost. My elbows are all fucked up currently, preventively tapped rather than trying an escape when opponent went for the armbar.
>>
>>2628831
If the nuke were well-placed, it wouldn't be getting destroyed by the pipebomb, it would be destroying the pipebomb
>>
>>2629461
Nuke big and slow. Much security code. Pipebomb small, fast and always explode and destroy nuke first.
>>
>>2629439
I'm the clueless leg lock anon from earlier, and I'd like to help you out the same way you did for me. Do you mind if I break down some of your standing work and give you some tips to work on?
>>
>>2629568
Sure! I've been doing Judo for 7 years now, and I've had a look at what I did wrong already, but it never hurts to have a different and more experienced perspective.
>>
>>2629608
Good stuff.

I'll concentrate on the second fight you posted, mainly because you actually got more of a chance to use your judo rather than just having someone pull guard on you. Also, it's good for both of us to remember that this is a BJJ comp, and I'm not a BJJ guy. I watch a lot of their comps, but as I'm not an active participant, some of what I say may not be relevant to how you'd fight in a jiu jitsu comp.

With all that said, here we go.

The most immediate thing I would want from you if you were my student is to see more aggressive grip fighting, that first takedown your opponent uses could have been easier avoided if you had a better grip and were forcing him into the position you want him to be in. This doesn't just mean pushing them down, in fact, as you seem to like uchi-mata, I would have been using my lapel side elbow to pick him up.

What I mean by that in layman terms is, take your lapel grip but not too high, you want it just above the scapula, from there, bend the elbow and use your legs to pick him up onto his toes. Does that make sense to you, I'm not sure if my english is good enough to get my point across. You should have a fair amount of body contact when you've got this grip correctly. With the sleeve, I like to take a grip either above the elbow, or even into the armpit. Remember, lapel = control hand, sleeve = rotational arm, at least for uchi mata. I find be using a higher grip on the sleeve, you get way more rotation.

On your take down at 25 seconds, you need to drop your hip more to get more power, bend the legs in the lead into the throw just a little more, and pick the guy up on the hip. To be fair, he does go over easily for you, I don;t think an experienced judoka would go over so easily though.

Cont.
>>
>>2629439
>>2629657

Your second take down at 41 seconds, again the guy goes over for you quite easily, so I can understand why you might not feel the need to improve it, but I personally would have switched to a ko-uchi gari/gaki, whichever is your preffered of the two. The reason for this is because of how deep your throwing leg is in, and the position of uke's body. You got the rotation well enough here, but I think you would struggle against a good wrestler or judoka. Reap the leg and take them backwards and would be in a much stronger position. Especially with your arm placement in that moment.

I think you also could have used a ko-uchi leg when you are briefly stalemated at 1.11, and could have worked from a top position from there. Especially if you controlled his sleeve hand with where it is gripping you.

Same at 1.18, start looking to take him for a rear throw, o-uchi if you don't like ko-uchi so much, your leg is perfectly placed.

You lack a lot of control with your top half in general, your reliant on your lep placement to throw and aren't using your grips and upper body to unbalance your opponent so much. Work more on push/pull movements when you train tachi-waza and get used to the feeling of using your upper body to giver your lower body more of a chance. This isn;t a strength based thing, it is action/reaction. You must create a reaction in your opponent to unbalance them, and this is what you're lacking right now.

In the second fight, I would personally posture up more when someone pulls guard, but you won it in seconds, and as the ruleset is different, you need to finish on the floor so maybe what you did is the better strategy.

Cont.
>>
>>2629439
>>2629657
>>2629710

Another tip for uchi mata, if you are in the position i detailed in the previous post, when you rotate your hips in, keep your elbow tucked for the lift, but you need to swing it out to drive their head down when executing the technique. This is performed very fast, and it is one smooth movement. There is a youtube channel that shows this perfectly called Judo Mat Lab, here is the video on uchi-mata

https://youtu.be/HZJcx2ppyB4

Notice how inoue uses his elbow to pick up initially, but as he rotates, it has swung out to the side already and driving the head down. Right now, you are on the second part without the first part, making it a rotation throw which lacks power, vs a hip throw which rotates uke fully.

I hope this all helps you out, anon. I very much enjoyed watching your fights, and congratulations on winning them. It was clear you had a greater skill set than both opponents, and you used it to your advantage really well. Keep on training!
>>
>>2628770

>but often lack depth or even solid basics in one or more fields.
I'm not going to say that the lower level practitioners of MMA are the shit, it's just a fact that at lower levels they lack too much skill in any one thing. When you get to a certain level of skill, their diversity which was once what in some ways impaired them, is now their strength, and when they get even better, they learn how to use that strength well, and are pretty damn good fighters in a non-specific sense.

>but I generally maul the average MMA fighter in a grappling match
I'd expect nothing less. But I wouldn't expect you to win every MMA fight against MMA fighters who eat, breath, live and shit MMA.
>>
>>2629657
>more aggressive grip fighting
I fucked up there indeed, usually I am quite agressive with this and aim for classic Inoue uchi-mata grip with sleeve grip near their hand and collar grip near or slightly above collar bone. I'm familiar with the Judo Mat Lab video you posted, and much of my uchi mata comes from it. Admittedly, I am occasionally too nonchalant during BJJ because I know almost nobody can take me down and hold me there long enough to score.

The reason he goes over easily twice (other than lacking experience to match a Judoka or wrestler) is the overhook grip I used. Works better with harai goshi, but even for uchi-mata it gives downright insane rotation as long as I keep the overhooking hand in front of me. Unfortunetely, while I am comfortable with harai goshi/o goshi/uchi-mata with this grip, I am not comfortable with using it o-uchi gari/gake.

>1:11 and 1:18
Again, unfortunately not comfortable with the grip for rear throws. Not quite sure, but I feel the overhook might be a bad grip for rear throws and especially the subsequent scramble. Haven't really tried that, but will look into it, because, as you saw, I was looking for something without success.

>not using grips and upper body to unbalance your opponent
Grips are usually better, but you're quite right about the upper body. Need to work on that, any tips?

>second fight
Was looking for a grip to use for pressure to allow me to posture up as you suggested, but I noticed around 0:20 that he was very likely to fuck up with his leg. From there on I started trying to very subtly rope him into leaving his leg exposed. Pressured/angled his hooked foot loose at 0:30, then at 0:37 he made the mistake of letting my hand go to sweep while his foot was exposed and in my armpit.

Also, as I was 10kg heavier and deadlift well over 200kg, I knew he couldn't pull me into any sort of silly submission. :3
>>
>>2629819
>I'd expect nothing less. But I wouldn't expect you to win every MMA fight against MMA fighters who eat, breath, live and shit MMA.
Neither would I. Still, even at higher level I often find their skills to be lacking depth. I, as a BJJ blue belt, shouldn't be able to trade submissions on an almost equal basis with an MMA fighter who is heavier, stronger, physically eclipses me and has a BJJ black belt, and yet that's exactly what happened when I found myself in that situation last year.
>>
>>2629864
>MMA fighter who is heavier, stronger, physically eclipses me and has a BJJ black belt
>BJJ black belt
I don't think it's all the fault of how he trained MMA.
>>
>>2628770
Won first round, lost the second
>>
>>2629881
It was my third time training that day. I was tired before we even started rolling, and it was no gi, his home turf. He should've completely stomped me, but he lacked the technical skill to avoid being submitted himself.

>>2630149
No worse than I did. Keep it up!
>>
>tfw found a sparring partner
>tfw he's three weight divisions above me and way more experienced
feels good man
Just gotta keep safe
>>
>>2630222
>It was my third time training that day. I was tired before we even started rolling, and it was no gi, his home turf. He should've completely stomped me, but he lacked the technical skill to avoid being submitted himself.
MMA could've had nothing to do with that. BJJ likes to hand out belts differently, he was a black belt.
>>
and just like that the blue belt blues have taken their hold.
what started as 11 classes a week, is now once a week, maybe twice, with a completely skipped week here and there. It's just not fun anymore, it is now just tedious and pointless.
>>
>>2630222
Look, man. I'm not going to accuse you of making shit up on the internet, but what you've said is really, really hard to believe. To most readers, it appears to be at the very least exaggerated.
>>
Itsa happenin lads, China has finally hit the 90s in martial arts.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/5/7/15557868/feature-xu-bad-blood-throwback-mma-in-china-news-tai-chi-kung-fu-shaolin-weibo-ufc-asia

>tldr, 38 year old MMA coach beat the snot out of a "tai chi master" in literal seconds
>the loser claims he held back out of fear he might kill the MMA guy
>MMA guy says tai chi and traditional CMA don't work for fighting or self defense
>now there's CMA guys crawling out the woodwork to challenge the MMA guy
>a chinese businessman is offering about a million dollars to any CMAer that can beat MMA guy

I'm not sure if I want kung fu to get its shit pushed in so it can maybe take a look at itself and start focusing back on fighting again or if I want a serious CMAer to show there's merit to be found most anywhere if you train right and actually learn application. Whatever the case I just hope it creates interest in actual fighting in China.
>>
>>2632304
>I'm not sure if I want kung fu to get its shit pushed in so it can maybe take a look at itself and start focusing back on fighting again or if I want a serious CMAer to show there's merit to be found most anywhere if you train right and actually learn application.
I like a combination of both. Have the CMA guy training in both internal elements, as well as external elements. He fights MMA guy, they both get up real bad, but the CMA guy beats the other guy up more, and throws the MMA guy's ass into the floor with Tai Chi, KOing the MMA guy. CMA guy wins and shows that it works, and well, but it could be better in some way. The masses can contemplate this, and hopefully, they'll find that training in application, and doing it well, will result in a better ability to fight.
>>
>>2629849
If you're not comfortable with your grip, you can't throw properly, so you need to start thinking of a gripping strategy. I'd advise you to watch how the mongolians fight, for me, they have some of the best gripping strategies in modern judo, they are rarely static and always looking to dominate their opponent through gripping. A simple rule is that if you can't grip, you can't throw, we can dial that down to, if you can't grip in a comfortable way, you cannot throw.

Think about what your favourite grip is for a forward throw, and how it differs to a rear throw, how can you get from one to the other without losing control of your opponent? It is possible, you have to be intelligent about it.

> but you're quite right about the upper body. Need to work on that, any tips?
Start thinking in depth about kuzushi, action and reaction, pull and push. For me, if kuzushi is being worked solely by the arms, it is incorrect, your back is much stronger. If it isn't being used in conjunction with grip fighting, then it is inefficient movement. You can and should be using your gripping strategies to unbalance your opponent. To bring your upper body into play more, I would look at my training off the mats. Do you use a gym, or do you not train away from the mats at all? Battle ropes helped me start thinking about how I use my upper body, you have to put your mind into your muscles, think about how you use your lats and traps to move the ropes rather than your arms. Push/Pull days at the gym also help, go for high rep volume rather than high weight, and superset exercises like bench press into pendlay row. Your progressive overload here would be with rest time between sets rather than with weight, only upping the weight when you could do four sets of each with about 15 seconds rest between with absolute ease. That's something really simple, but it gets you mindful about which muscle group you are using.
>>
>>2629514
If nuke is badly placed, it still destroys pipebomb. Many pipebombs.
>>
>>2632671
Not if the pipebomb is well placed.
>>
>>2632058
Because it's too hard?
>>
>>2632304
>guy who spars demolishes guy who doesn't spar
Took them long enough
>>
>>2632676
The explosion would destroy the pipebomb
>>
>>2632598
Much obliged!

Unfortunately can't change up my gym schedule too much, as I also compete in powerlifting occasionally, meaning numbers rather than sheer volume are more important as it is. Hard to combine with my already packed training schedule as well. But I'll definitely be looking into some the Mongolians, and combining kuzushi with more consciously engaging muscle groups - actually started doing that recently, but it's still very much work in progress at this point.

>>2632144
I can honestly say what I've said is true, without exaggerating.
>>
>>2632756
Not if the pipebomb is well-placed. A well-placed pipebomb would not be placed in such a place as to be prematurely destroyed. Nothing beats a well-placed pipebomb. Nothing.
>>
>>2632702
because it's a grind for marginal improvement that doesn't really matter at the end of the day
can I now beat 99% of people in the world and who have ever lived in a fight? yes
could I beat someone at black belt level in a real fight with punches and shit flying? yes
do I care about being able to beat them in a contest of pure grappling? not even a little bit

so I don't see the point when I'm not interested in being able to beat the top of the 1% at fighting, when pretty much everyone in the world is below me
>>
>>2633265
You didn't have to start a MA then if you don't care about this. Could've just gone with "how to fight 101".
>>
>>2633296
I did. because I had to become strong
>>
>>2633265
Fucking hell, how can someone fellate themselves so much?

You're probably not even the strongest person on /asp/, in your gym, and not even in the top 1% of your state, let alone country, let alone world. You're a fucking bjj blue belt who has probably never drilled distance management and punch protection and would get knocked out by anyone that has done 6 months of boxing.

Get over yourself you fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>2633452
I think you underestimate how many people there are in the world, and overestimate the fighting abilities of the general population. If you were to grab a random group I would place a bet on there being more than 100 people before you find one that could beat me

besides, anything past blue belt is pointless unless you are doing sport jiujitsu. By the time you hit blue you already have all of the practical self defense and combat applications of the martial art. Now it's just grinding to learn silly shit like lapel fuckery and inverted guard bullshit
>>
>>2633499
>By the time you hit blue you already have all of the practical self defense and combat applications of the martial art.
Your average new blue belt has fucktons to learn even when it concerns basics.
>>
>>2633517
well then that's just lax standards. purple belt is considered an advanced belt, which makes blue the intermediate belt. So if you are at the intermediate level and still don't have basics, you need to drop back down to white.
>>
>>2633544
Basics cover quite a bit more than what you seem to think.
>>
>>2633612
nawh man
one escape, one back up escape, one attack, one back up attack. From all the key positions which I will define as mount, side control, north south, full guard, half guard, butterfly, turtle, back, and 50/50. You if you know that you should be able to move easily through the transitional positions like S mount, knee on belly, Z guard. You have that, plus know O soto, O goshi, single, double, and you have enough moves to beat literally any non-grappler in wrastlin fairly effortlessly. And if you don't have all of those by the time you hit blue belt I don't think you should be a blue belt
>>
>>2633265
I had a good laugh reading you. Your match were fun but you need to work on your transitions. they take too much time. Even as a blue belt, your game isn't polished. I mean you don't know how to lead your opponent where you want as soon as the openings are there.
Your matches were good though and I enjoyed them very much. Keep on training.
>>
File: shark petting.gif (2MB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
shark petting.gif
2MB, 500x276px
So what's the problem with aikido?
I'm new to this whole martial art stuff. Please spoonfeed me.
>>
>>2634060
Have you ever tried to grab someone's thumb while you're fighting? That's wrong with it.
>>
>>2634060
Not enough pressure in their drills to make learning how to apply the techniques more realistic. Not enough sparring to really simulate a lot of the things that go into applying the techniques in real combat. The techniques and combinations of techniques are difficult, and paired with the lack of good training for applying the techniques, a lot of the practitioners end up not being able to fight and apply the techniques they did in all of their training.
>>
>>2634060
It requires the opponent to behave the way you want, so it will never work on someone actively working against you
>>
>>2634060
Nothing is wrong with aikido. cops use it all the time
>>
>>2634259
>It requires the opponent to behave the way you want
Martial artists make their opponents behave how they want them to all the time
>>
>>2634271
For other martial arts it's just an high level bonus, while almost all of aikido is this way
>>
>>2634019
I (the dude who posted his fights) am not the same as that anon. Performed like crap that day, well below my own standards, see second post itt. For example, I'm actually known for having an excellent passing game, but I didn't even properly initiate a single pass in four matches that day.

>>2633807
>enough moves to beat literally any non-grappler in wrastlin fairly effortlessly
True, but those are just the rudiments of the basics. And I've yet to meet the newly promoted blue belt who executed all those flawlessly.

>>2634060
Needs more direct feedback - ie. sparring. The wrist locks are fun for BJJ though.
>>
File: protorules.png (574KB, 1578x940px) Image search: [Google]
protorules.png
574KB, 1578x940px
this is my first draft of rules for my karate tournament. what do yall niggas think?
>>
>>2634517
I doubt many (if not any) matches will be won by striking
>>
File: morihei-ueshiba-push-test.jpg (134KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
morihei-ueshiba-push-test.jpg
134KB, 600x397px
>>2634284
you can t just step right into controlling the other guys motions, Nor did the founder of Ueshiba ever indicate that was his secret, rather translations show he constantly talked about concepts found in the so called internal arts, and even engaged in solo training and paired push tests similar to what they do
>>
What do you do when you volunteer to help at a judo tournament?
>>
>>2634829
It fucking sucks
>>
>>2634893
I'm sure it does m8 but I was the kind of little shit who'd help clean the lunchroom in middle school sometimes out of boredom. Miss my fellow cleaning nig Ben.
>>
>>2634517
>what do yall niggas think?
So, there're arm strikes to the head?
I think that you should lose the body guards.
You should change the gloves to MMA gloves, 4 oz, and heavier for higher weight classes.

With those gloves, it seems like the competitor's ability to use Karate hand strikes is impaired, making it less of a Karate Tournament.
By having the chest guard, but allowing grappling, you remove too large of a striking element.
If the chest guard is worn over the Gi, you remove a lot of grips.
>>
>>2635117
I will consider your suggestions!

that particular chest protector is pretty thin though, it's not like those chunky TKD body armor pillows. You wear them under the gi, they are more like a padded t-shirt
>>
>>2634913
You will work tables and pooling. If there are Armenians, they will yell at and spit on you for anything.
>>
>>2634829
I volunteered and they had me throwing bean bags.
>>
>>2634517
>if competitors step or roll out of bounds during an exchange or while grappling, they may be allowed to continue fighting out of bounds until there is a break in action or at referees discretion
Why not just make it a big fighting area?
>>
>>2635734
I would like it to be big, but even when they are huge the action can sometimes end up going where it isn't supposed to.
I have always considered half a tennis court to be a valid size, approximately 36x36 if you want it to be square

honestly if you were to get pushed out of bounds on a ring that big I think you deserve to lose. I always felt ring out could be a valid option for winning, but then you have people that just tech the edges when they are out skilled like they used to do in judo and just ride close to the line and sidestep so the other guy steps out and loses.

This is why I avoid point based scoring, because then people are looking for points instead of just fighting
>>
File: 1462134568250.png (241KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462134568250.png
241KB, 480x480px
Hey /mag/ so I'm considering picking up a martial art but I have a couple questions.

1) Am I to old to start learning? I'm 22 and a little out of shape. (I don't mind the training kicking my ass)
2) Im looking at my local Japanese culture centre because it's affordable and looks legit, but I'm worried everyone else is gonna be like 8-14
3) Which would you recommend of the available programs?
-Aikido
-Iaido
-Jodo
-Judo
-Karate & Kobudo
-Kendo
-Kyudo

Thanks.
>>
>>2635794
>>Nah, 22 is fine, you can even go competitive at some point.
>>You should pay a visit to see how old are the rest of the class. I doubt the people on judo are young.
>>Depending on your goals, some arts are better than others. Most people on /asp/ will probably suggest judo or maybe karate, because muh ufc!, but kendo and iaido are fine for sport competitiveness, although highly unlikely to be of any use on the streets.

I have no idea about the rest, but kyudo looks kind of neat for hunting.
>>
>>2634060
The founder was in a hippie phase and died as he was exiting it so its heavy on the philosophical side. Wristlocks are a cool thing after a solid base in grappling.
>>2635794
Take a look at all of theme and choose which one you like best. Other than that, choose the weapon arts if you like weapons and think they're cool. Btw kyudo's built in meditation aspect is cool if you do it. Judo's bretty gud, you get to make people do gymnastics against their will and hit them with the earth, steep learning curve though, made steeper by it feeling rough before you can breakfall well. Karate can be pretty cool but has a lot of variance both in schools and styles. For aikido see above. Maybe someone who has experience with the weapon arts will post too.
>>
File: LszmMDk.gif (2MB, 360x201px) Image search: [Google]
LszmMDk.gif
2MB, 360x201px
>>2634264
On a bunch of drunk idiots. Armlocks can neutralize someone without hurting them but that isn't going to work in a cage fight or a battlefield.
>>
>>2635832
>or a battlefield.
You can get pretty slow, stiff, and weak when you've fought dehydrated and sleep deprived for two whole weeks without getting a single day to let your muscles recover, with heavy armor on your back the whole time, carrying heavy metal weapon.
>>
>>2635934
Then the throws are less feasible and you'll absolutely get peeled off if you try that other stuff in a pitched battle.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>"BJJ threads—what the hell is THAT all about, pinhead? This ain't no ballet class. Banana split hiplocks and rear naked chokes? What a load of CRAP. So, pinhead, ya coming back to continue a LEGACY? UH-UNH! Stone Cold's finna make your comeback a living HELL. So, you can start begging for some non-wrestling threads right now. You will beg for non-wrestling threads—YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND 'EM! I think you're completely pathetic. You think BJJ's the 'Best there is, was and ever will be'? Whatever! Son, you're looking at the best there is—pro wrestling rules! I will kick your gracie-loving ass all over the 4chan. I'm gonna end your legacy. You WILL be SEETHING."
>>
>>2636004
You just need to be the fresh reinforcements that comes along and pown all of those tired bastards with your Aikido.
>>
File: output_3GNNSR.gif (3MB, 330x213px) Image search: [Google]
output_3GNNSR.gif
3MB, 330x213px
>>2636007
Even when I was in elementary school I knew WWE was fake
>>
>>2635794
You're never too old or out of shape to start learning.

You're probably too old to be a champion, but anybody can start learning.

Of those, I'd go with Judo and/or Karate if you're looking for more self defense options.

Kendo and Kyudo sound like fun.

They'll probably let you try a few classes, or at the very least watch a few of them. See what you like.
>>
>>2636045
Even when I was in elementary school I knew Star Wars was fake. You're an actual retard if you think that was banter.
>>
File: suki nage karate machida.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
suki nage karate machida.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>2632304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxxt0H8DJM

The Chinese MMA fighter is redpilled
>>
>>2636127
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxxt0H8DJM
>you can't kick to the groin in a real fight
That's so stupid. That's like saying you can't do inside leg kicks in real fights. Inside leg kicks happen all the time. Accidental groin kicks happen all the time.
>>
File: tumblr_mmhnpr0MSR1spbtxxo1_500.gif (221KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmhnpr0MSR1spbtxxo1_500.gif
221KB, 500x301px
>>2636072
146/150 of the threads are WWE right now so it's not unreasonable to assume one of them would come in here to talk smack. Did you actually think you were being funny?
>>
>>2636045
While wrestlefags can fuck off most of the time desu, wrestling hasn't pretended to be real in a long time. Some of that old school as hell black and white wrestling where there was more possibility for real fights was cool though.
>>2636072
>m-muh banter, muh funposts
>>2636174
>tumblr naruto gifs
m8 u better be false flagging
>>
File: roundhouse knee.gif (3MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
roundhouse knee.gif
3MB, 360x202px
>tfw someone knees you in the shin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOn7WxHjbXI
>>
>>2635794
Depends on what you like, consider that my knowledge of weapon martial arts is based off youtube, but Iaido is just about unsheathing a katana while kendo uses a bendable stick in the shape of a sword.
For what I know coming from karate, kobudo uses multiple weapons (at the start you'll only use one), it has forms (more useful compared to the empty hand ones) and either it doesn't train with a katana or it has a very small focus on it.
Judo is always good.
Karate generally doesn't do much fighting practice, prepare to repeat forms.
Avoid aikido if you want to do something useful.
Kyudo has very little connection to fighting, it's all about concentrating and having a clear mind.
>>
>>2636174
>people actually have to come crying into the non-wrestling threads on /asp/ about wrestling
How pathetic can you get
>>
>>2636513
Where the fuck do you want people who actually do martial arts to go complain you board desertificator
>>
>>2635822
Are you a fucking newfag? That was the worst use of greentext that I have ever seen.
>>
File: olympic_wrestling640_640.jpg (72KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
olympic_wrestling640_640.jpg
72KB, 640x360px
>>2636513
This is the wrestling thread and I didn't start it.
>>
Do all judoka have cauliflower ears or what?
>>
>>2637741
I don't, and the only ones I know who do were also wrestlers
>>
>>2636539
How about instead of crying like a little bitch you suck it up and talk about how getting a boner during a triangle choke is normal or whatever you fags talk about.
>>
>>2637741
Got a slight one, but it came from BJJ. Cauliflower ears are rare amongst Judoka in these parts.
>>
>>2633544
That's not exactly a fair assessment. Blue has the largest spread of skill. The difference between a new blue belt and one on the cusp of purple is greater than the difference within any other belt.
>>
would you guys recommend any martial art for a tall skinny guy?
It's always looked like something I'd enjoy but gaining weight is the biggest challenge in the world and I don't want someone to break me in half
>>
File: 09_struve_vs_barry_002.jpg (159KB, 1000x761px) Image search: [Google]
09_struve_vs_barry_002.jpg
159KB, 1000x761px
>>2638498
MMA
>>
File: jumping guard.webm (2MB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
jumping guard.webm
2MB, 400x230px
>>
>>2638498
With your lank, people will have great difficulty getting past the range of your side kicks and powerful roundhouse kicks.
>>
>>2638498
If you're looking for something that will lend itself well for your body-type, Muay Thai or Kickboxing. You should still try hard to gain weight. I'm 6'1 and was at 145 at the start of the year. Now I'm at 170 and athletic, all because of a decent, protein-rich diet and a lot of BJJ training.
>>
>need to let my body recover
>no training for 5 days
>gain 10lbs in those 5 days
>>
>>2639296
Jesus Christ what did you eat
>>
>>2639316
Some fish, some bread, a little wine
>>
I was a "street fighter" in high school.
We wore gloves and everything, but no one had any training or anything.
I whooped the fuck out of everyone in the "club" (5 dudes).
I thought I was a badass.
I got into an argument with one of the sprinters at track practice, and ended up shooting on him. He put me in a guillotine and choked me out in seconds.
We were always cool after that and he got me into UFC and whatnot.
>>
File: 4face.png (14KB, 114x148px) Image search: [Google]
4face.png
14KB, 114x148px
>>2638498
Having reach and size is a big physical advantage over other people most of the time. In jiujitsu you will be more offensive attacking limbs but your defense will not be as good as a stockier person. For boxing/kickboxing you will be able to keep them on the outside with your jab and use your reach to your advantage. Being tall and skinny I think is a good thing weight class wise.

Also I'm excited there's people here talking about leg locks. I go for them all the time and I feel like people don't practice them enough due to tournament rules or safety. They can be safe if you're smart. But most people have glaring holes in their jiujitsu game when they don't practice leg locks.
>>
File: tumblr_o3gqx0eC2Q1tfrx5ho1_400.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3gqx0eC2Q1tfrx5ho1_400.gif
1MB, 360x202px
>>2638756
I fucking hate guard pulling. This is just another reason to add to that list of reasons.

pic not related.
>>
>>2639324
Nice blog, faggot
>>
>>2638498
>gaining weight is the biggest challenge in the world
It isn't, unless you've got a medically diagnosed condition that prevents you from gaining weight, or you can't afford to buy food, you're being a pussy bitch that doesn't eat enough. Stuff your face. Then do it again an hour later. Repeat.

t. one of the many former skinny bastards who used to say the same thing
>>
>>2639316
>>2639319
That's not what I ate.

>soylent
>arby's
>mcdonald's
>pizza
>too much ice cream
>>
>>2639324
Hey, me, too!
Except we didn't do that pussy glove shit too often, and we didn't have a club; we did have people of varying backgrounds, though, including gang-related street fighting, which was pretty much bad Boxing.

>I got into an argument with one of the sprinters at track practice, and ended up shooting on him. He put me in a guillotine and choked me out in seconds.
That's funny because a football player and wrestler and I were sparring one time, and he shot for a leg, and I put him in a standing guillotine, except I didn't end up choking him out.
>>
>>2638498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVKJfLbz5yQ
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6RrxTBdJs4

Kek
>>
>>2640725
he made the mistake of trying to directly attack the chi of someone that wasn't in tune with theirs. That's the problem, the young punk was just a brawler using brute force. If he had been fighting a true martial artist then the chi blocking techniques would have basically short circuited his nervous system and put him out
>>
>>2640956
*teleports behind your chi*
>>
>>2640725
>>2640956
Not to go "no true Tai Chi master", but I don't think that guy was properly trained.

Functional tai chi trains with resistance and sparring, whereas the guy in the video looks like one of those guys who throws a million strikes against a guy just standing there and thinks the same thing would work against a guy who isn't compliant.

I'm pretty sure I saw a video of the tai chi guy (or a guy who looked a lot like him) doing the million strikes thing and then juxtaposed with him getting BTFO, but I can't find it.
>>
>>2634517
I hate competition in Karate.

literally cancer, and it kills all the credibility.
>>
>>2641061
y tho
>>
>>2641025
I think I saw a link on leddit or some place about how china has a lot of versions of martial arts that get called traditional versions but are actually worse versions that are just modified wushu. Think I've heard there are pretty decent traditional versions in places like hong-kong and taiwan.
>>
>>2634517
One of the reason I hate sports karate is all the protection they use . I would get rid of unnecessary protection. You only need a mouth guard, a cup and maybe headgear.
>>
File: tumblr_mx7yo8CgRw1ry1rm7o1_400.gif (2MB, 296x215px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mx7yo8CgRw1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
2MB, 296x215px
>>2641666
>One of the reason I hate sports karate is all the protection they use . I would get rid of unnecessary protection. You only need a mouth guard, a cup and maybe headgear.
But Kyokushin doesn't use very much protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMoxKQJgZo
>>
>>2641666
>I would get rid of unnecessary protection
Who's to say anything's necessary? We should have no protection.
Who's to say anything isn't necessary? We should have all of the protection.
>>
>>2623543
I just started Taekwondo. Is there a certain rank I should be at before considering entering a competition?
>>
>>2641700
You should get solid basics and then move onto MMA and eventually do MMA competition.
>>
>>2641682
I was speaking more of Shotokan/Gojuryu/etc. (WKF to be more specific).
>>
>>2634264
Police takedowns are only ever done on people running away or noncompliant but non violent suspects. In the former they're just going to football tackle the guy. In the latter they usually do something kind of like a straight standing armbar takedown where it's mostly just them muscling the guy down. I wouldn't exactly use the police as an example of real world aikido.
>>
>>2632914
>>
File: until you Buddhism.jpg (125KB, 1084x815px) Image search: [Google]
until you Buddhism.jpg
125KB, 1084x815px
>subtitles
>auto-translate
>English
>>until you Buddhism
>>
>>2641700
>Is there a certain rank I should be at before considering entering a competition?
No. Competitions are training opportunities, go to as many as you can. Talk to your instructor about this, he'll want you to be basically competent (to the point of not getting injured or injuring anyone) before letting you go, but that can happen at white belt.
>>
>>2636007
I had actually forgotten this was an /asp/ thread until I got here
>>
>>2641714
MMA isn't really an activity people can do for any length of time, it critically damages your body every time you step out there and grind it out with someone. So for a non-professional hobbyist it's kind of stupid for anyone to do it unless they enjoy the doldrums of endless training.

karate though is something you can do every weekend your entire life and actually harvest the crops you are planting so to speak. Safety gear is important unless you are legit fighting for bloodsport.
>>
>>2632328
>things that will never happen

Magic doesn't win fights
>>
>>2641725
>just going to football tackle the guy
this is a fact. We have a lot of cops with us obviously, one of them is 2nd degree black belt in judo, purple belt in bjj. He says that's what he does 100% of the time
the department doesn't want them to do it that way because they could get hurt themselves doing it, but he says in real life there is no easier way to take someone down than to just tackle them over
>>
>>2623543
I came here to post this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-39853374

Chinese MMA star Xu Xiaodong beats a Tai Chi master in 20 seconds (Xu says he won in 7 seconds but it was 20 seconds before it was called).

The funny part of it is that his social media accounts have been deleted and that BBC story is blocked in China. kek

He's now challenging any traditional martial arts in China to fight him to restore TMA pride. He calls bullshit on TMA anyway and says they're full of bullshit stories and lies (we all knew that). The best part is that an energy drinks company is going to sponsor the match, they'll pay serious money for anyone that can beat him and even a hefty fee for trying.
>>
File: Xu-Xiaodong-2.jpg (108KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
Xu-Xiaodong-2.jpg
108KB, 980x551px
>>2641999
Forgot pic. Do you really need to be told how this is going to end?
>>
>>2641709
I used to do wrestling so my natural instinct when taking a stance is to be square to my opponent, all this standing side on stuff takes me a moment to think about.
>>
>>2634060
>So what's the problem with aikido?
Esentially >>2634240 and >>2634259.

However if you do Sport Aikido then it's a somewhat different story. I still wouldn't put it in the category of MMA but it's not as bad as Traditional Aikido.

Sport Aikido is 80% sparring in class and the techniques are modified to be non-injurious, so in the full-contact phase of sparring, you apply techniques full force and don't hold back while people are trying to stab you up with a rubber knife.

Fighting full-'contact' (you still just do Aikido on them) against knife fighters is great practice I think and in that style of sparring, they don't cooperate with techniques which is what gives Aikido a bad rap. AKA Uki syndrome.
>>
>>2642072
You don't have to stand side on to strike. Bas Rutten fights square on.
>>
>>2642072
>all this standing side on stuff takes me a moment to think about.
That's alright. With enough training, you will be switching between stances without even thinking about it.
>>
>>2640103
Well he didn't choke me completely unconcious.
He trained at the local MMA gym at the mall, so he knew when to let go.
I was a shot putter BTW. Big and stocky, so I didn't think he was a physical threat to me at all before that, him being about 5'7 me being 6'3 and having 100 pounds on him easy at 260.
>>
>>2642386
>He trained at the local MMA gym at the mall
Something about a MMA gym being in the mall seems kind of weird to me.
>>
>>2642072
>I used to do wrestling so my natural instinct when taking a stance is to be square to my opponent
I thought most wrestlers favored a sugarfoot stance over a square stance
>>
>>2642469
Beginners get taught the square stance and then later move into developing the sugarfoot
>>
>>2642425
It was fucking weird, dude.
You'd go in so you could go to big 5 or macys whatever, and you could hear through the WHOLE MALL
>SUUUWWAAAAAAT
>HAH! HAH! SHUM!
>HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUhhhAAANG
>Come on work you pussy!
They got multiple complaints and ended up only lasting about a year.
It probably would have went under faster if that mall wasn't already in its dying days.
>>
>>2642533
That makes sense. My first wrestling practice was in 1997, so it's been a while.
>>
http://www.kyokushinkaikan.org/en/news/2017/04/sosai-oyamas-23rd-memorial-service-and-international-camp-in-mt-mitsumine.html
Does anyone know if these are actually worth going to or if they are just a tourist attraction kind of thing?
>>
>>2641025
I have never seen any recorded evidence of a tai chi practitioner winning a fight against anyone with a modicum of skill. This is just the "no true Scotsman" fallacy in full effect.
>>
>>2641025
Tai chi is not meant for fighting
Tai chi is complimentary to gung fu. You basically do the same exercises, though when you practice gung fu you practice high intensity and when you practice tai chi you practice low intensity.
If you do modern tai chi and tai chi only it's basically like doing yoga
>>
>>2640725
>>2641999
>>2642011

This looks pretty staged.
I mean, unfortunately EVERY video from china is staged, but this is an especially good example:

A "Tai Chi master" who does a robo walk into the other guy and doesn't resist or attack at all? Someone who has no clue whatsoever about MMA in 2017 and has no fighting strategy at all?

I'm not saying Tai Chi is the best style for fighting, but at leats it has some throws and punches, even kicks. Also this hand positions looks really weird, it doesn't look like Tai Chi at all.

China uses western boxing and Sanshou for ages and really doesn't like "traditional" chinese martial arts - talking about irony..

So while Tai Chi and Kung fu are not really suited for MMA matches (first and foremost they are WEAPON arts), you can find some full contact sparring Kung Fu dudes and even Tai Chi dudes.

I call bullshit.
>>
>>2642598

What exactly is your question?

This is a memorial meeting, so it's worth going if your Sensei tells you to go there.

But if you're doing Kyokushin, every few months there are friendly meetings to exchange gently sparring matches and spend some hours of relaxing training together.
>>
>>2639695
What if I'm poor, do I just stuff my face with cheap carbs?
>>
>>2639695
this reminds me of the ""advice"" given to a guy on here who had to go to his grandmas house for the holidays the week before his fight. when he shared a greentext of how he offended his family by refusing to eat granny's lard laced food, some retard started screaming about how "true martial artists" need to eat everything and said some autistic shit about family honor. it's just more proof that there are /asp/ies among us who never diet or cut, and should not be trusted to share intelligent insights about nutrition.
>>
>>2643091
me personally, I don't believe in cutting weight. Cutting weight so you are a big guy among small guys is cowardly.
Stay in shape so you don't have to get in shape is how I feel about it. But not dehydrating and starving yourself so you are 15 pounds lighter today than you will be tomorrow so you're allowed to fight guys 6 inches shorter than you
>>
>watching The Raid: Redemption for the first time
>that tonfa- knife duel wield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kolFKGjvcs
>>
File: SafeRawJoey-size_restricted.gif (3MB, 372x205px) Image search: [Google]
SafeRawJoey-size_restricted.gif
3MB, 372x205px
It's like every time I get one of my friends to record some martial arts, they always fucking fuck up.

I might just dish out $100 or however much on some over qualified college student since people apparently can't just operate the record button on a camera and keep things in the damn shoot.
>>
>>2643553
I took some good ass video the other day, I was keeping that shit centered as fuck, even got around the ref when he was blocking my shot

I have /friend problems/
I just want them to hold pads for me and they can't do that. I wanted to do some movement drills with noodles, I showed him exactly how I wanted him to do it, hold them in front of you and swing at open spots you see above my waist, just flick your wrist and bop me, I will block or move out of the way

he swings one at my legs. Ok, not at the legs, above the waist is what I'm doing
he swings it at my legs again. These instructions really aren't fucking difficult, stop swinging at my legs, look for body and head.

and he's making these big retarded swipes from way above my head or broadly from the side like an anime swordsman, hes trying to fake me out and stuff.
Dude. this isn't fucking hard
>>
>>2643064
Add olive oil to everything.
>>
>>2643577
I find it's easier if you lower your expectations.
>>
>>2643637
I've already got some pretty low expectations here. I hate that I'm going to have to start forking out money for a trainer to do this stuff for me. I don't need anymore training, I just want to practice

it really blows. I don't want to join a bro gym, I just want someone to hold pads for like a half hour a couple times a week, and I'll hold pads in return. Why is that so hard?
>>
>>2643091
I remember part of it.

Did that guy ever uploaded the record of his fight?

I mean, iirc, he was talking about cutting down like 10 kgs in a week or some unhealthy number; many were advising against because it was too much in too short of a time, and if he managed to made the cut, quite probably he would go into it dehydrated (he was going to be weight like mere hours before the fight, no time for proper recovery), which would lead to fight in bad condition and increase the risk for some serious medical conditions as result of or even during the fight, like some stroke.

Also, ruining an once every year family event in order to fight in very bad condition (not to mention the highly increased risk), I don't know, it sounds like being an ungrateful douche.

Days after (after eating nothing but lettuce), he proudly announced he did the cut, and would fight and upload the video. I honestly wish he won, otherwise he would have ruined an important family event for nothing.
>>
>>2643708
Honestly if you have to put so much effort to qualify in a weight class, it's rather unfair to those who the weight class is actually for.
Don't be a bitch and fight with people your own weight
>>
>>2642747
>>2642794
Tai Chi that isn't calisthenics for old people is basically a grappling with some striking thrown in.

I'm not saying a tai chi master could beat a pro fighter, but the "master" in the video looks like he's never sparred a day in his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwNU4MoR6k
>>
>>2643984
I think it's more like tai chi was born as a fighting style but with time it completely gave up on it and became just about health, and now they're trying to force fighting out of it again following the money, resulting in some vague concepts here and there inspired by the forms which would work if they didn't lack the fundamental other 90% of the skills they'd need for fighting
>>
>>2644006
There has always been a small core of people who fought with Tai chi.

The judoka and martial arts historian Donn Draeger expressed your opinion for a long time until he managed to track down some people in malaysia, mainland china being closed to the west for most of his career post WWI
>>
>>2644043
What, wang shujin? The guy spent five hours a day standing in place and practicing kata.
>>
>>2642811
>China uses western boxing and Sanshou for ages and really doesn't like "traditional" chinese martial arts
It's funny, I live in China and it's actually pretty hard to find Kung Fu schools. It's nearly all TKD McDojos these days. You see little kids running around in TKD Gis all the time.

>This looks pretty staged.
>I call bullshit.
Who the fuck knows but it seems reasonable to me. FWIW: there's going to be a well-paid rematch after they first find a hard-enough Taichi guy for him to fight. So not a rematch between the guys, between the arts I mean.
>>
>>2644114
>there's going to be a well-paid rematch
Well they want to do one, it's not clear whether the government will let it happen because the guy's blog has been shutdown and he's basically disappeared from the net. Disrupting public harmony is a serious thing here.
>>
>>2644092
No, he said Wang was a bagua guy who did Tai Chi. He respected the hell out of him though and introduced a lot of people to Wang for training
>>
File: Sketch7414342.jpg (255KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch7414342.jpg
255KB, 800x1280px
>>
ive not posted here before, but how does everyone feel about bruce lee? was the 1 inch punch just a meme, and was he just an actor who would have been heemed by a top level karate/kickboxer?
>>
Let's talk about meditation. Meditation is good.
>>
>>2644336
He was a martial arts actor. While he was influential, he's memed as being sone sort of origin of mma deity, even though all we have to go on for his skill is the word of friends, his estate, or other people who benefit, and the only proven fight was with a cma guy, where both camps disagree on the story.
>>
>>2644336
>>2644477
Whether or not he was a skilled fighter, many martial artists have, and still do, apply his philosophies, and become successful fighters and martial artists.

>one inch punch
Kinetic linking.
>>
File: bruce-lee-gloves.jpg (58KB, 728x742px) Image search: [Google]
bruce-lee-gloves.jpg
58KB, 728x742px
>>2644477
>>2644336
If Bruce Lee wasn't a very talented fighter then everything else he did doesn't really make sense.
First of all he had a deep understanding of martial arts that not many people had at the time, he revolutionized the way we think about martial arts. Second, we can see from his stunts that he definitely knew how to kick. He was so fast that the directors had to tell him to kick slower because the camera didn't capture the kick well enough. Then there's the fact he was martial arts instructor.
There is no doubt he was an incredibly powerful guy, and that he was a well rounded martial artist. Whether or not he was the greatest of all times is not something we can know, but he definitely was a great fighter.
>>
>>2644831
As a fighter it depends on how often he fought other people outside his style. Gene LeBell anecdotally dominated Bruce on the ground (of course) but always compliments Bruce's desire to learn new things. All we have now is stories and people debating on the internet

Bruce's greatest of all times status always has more to do with how he promoted an individualistic approach to martial arts while pushing away from being locked in a traditional system. Of course he wasn't the first to promote this idea or that of cross-training but as a celebrity he got the message out to the world and became a cultural icon.
>>
File: photo__4_.0_cinema_1050.0.jpg (111KB, 1050x590px) Image search: [Google]
photo__4_.0_cinema_1050.0.jpg
111KB, 1050x590px
Do you think people training for the hip show are watching Jackie Chan movies to learn about mixing parkour and combat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrfpIMidAUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4xzs2besWk
>>
>>2643708
That guy with the unhealthy cut was a different dude and he was a fucking mong. The anon I'm remembering was pretty much on weight but just couldn't afford to eat 8 slices of pie. It was a different guy entirely.
>ruining a family event
>probably he would go into it dehydrated
You're making a ton of assumptions, and his commitment to taking the fight outweighs eating with his grandma.
>>2643934
The weight class is for whoever makes it.
>>
>>2644831
>he revolutionized the way we think about martial arts
did he though? he gets a lot of undue credit when you consider vale tudo was happening for over 50 years before his book was even published.
And I think people often mistake the sagely wisdom of characters he played with him as a person.

I don't see any reason to believe he was any more than a dedicated hobbyist. I remember when chuck norris got into shit with the bruce lee defense force when he said bruce good but wasn't really a fighter. I guess fans of his movies knew the man more than one of his close personal friends.
>>
>>2645497
He was a popular guy. He spread martial arts ideas and methods far more than any dedicated hobbyist. It might be a little unsettling but it doesn't matter if Vale Tudo started before Bruce lee. MMA became a thing because Bruce Lee made it a thing. Things only really changed because Bruce Lee was popular.
>>
>>2645497
Like 90% of 40 to 70 years old who did martial arts will tell you they started because of him
>>
>>2645804
it could be argued they are at present everything that's wrong with them. A bunch of fat old guys who haven't done a push up in decades, walking around with red belts, blowing smoke up each others asses calling each other shihan and sensei, telling stories of fighting gangsters and armed thugs that totally never happened
>>
>>2645822
Being old and wanting to think you had a good life has nothing to do with martial arts.
>>
>>2645822
I highly doubt that started with Bruce Lee. Nearly all the MA schools have bs stories about totally killing a bull with a single strike, or no touch ko, or the whole dim mak, and so on. If you read about how X or Y TMA started, they will always include some anecdote about the extraordinary abilities the creators had.

Another thing to consider, Bruce Lee was very fit, and he would take a lot of care on his diet and exercise routines, and wrote a lot about the human body being like a machine, which won't properly work if given garbage fuel. He's recognized as martial artist, but he was also a bodybuilder.
>>
>>2645887
>He's recognized as martial artist, but he was also a bodybuilder.
and athlete
>>
>>2645887
he's recognized as a martial artist by fans of his movies, not by peers from the martial arts world

nigga was only 32 when he died, he wasn't a master of anything
>>
What is the most useful martial art to learn in terms of self-defense? I have just watched a video about Krav Maga, and it seems more self-defense oriented than other martial arts.
>>
>>2645887
>YFW the history of your Kung Fu style starts with its founder getting his ass handed to him by monks
>>
>>2646609
No matter which one you choose, someone's going to tell you it's totally useless in a "real" fight.
>>
>>2646609
generic MMA
>>
>>2646609
What's useful is sparring and hard drills. Krav Maga with sparring and hard drills is better than Kickboxing without sparring and hard drills. Kickboxing without sparring and hard drills is worse than Krav Maga with sparring and hard drills.
>>
>>2646609
krav is fake. It's a demo style, haven't been able to even find one single video of it being used in a street fight...and that's saying something since you can even find videos of kung fu winning fights, and there are plenty with people trying to do aikido, no krav tho
>>
>>2647096
There used to be no videos of Muay Thai winning fights, that didn't mean Muay Thai was a fake demo style.
>>
>>2647126
muay thai isn't proprietary, I don't think there is ever a doubt that someone kickboxing will win a fight against random goons.

it's bizarre for some reason krav gets a pass for being a compliant grab my wrist no my other wrist "street fighting" style
>>
>>2646609
MMA with supplementary weapons training.
>>
>>2647188
>it's bizarre for some reason krav gets a pass for being a compliant grab my wrist no my other wrist "street fighting" style
Krav Maga is literally MMA + weapons.
>>
>>2646609
No martial art can prepare you to real combat, because real combat is not a sport. There are no safety rules in a self defense situation. Now, that being said, by studying martial arts and using logic you will have an advantage in a real combat situation. I would like to see someone go for a double leg take down in a real situation against me, I'd elbow them in the spine.
>>
File: neck break.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
neck break.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2647505
you go for a haymaker in a fight they duck as you are in mid motion and snap your neck on the pavement that is how
>>
>>2643276
You seriously think people cut weight because they're fucking lazy?
It's a torturous experience man.
>>
>>2647281
lel
>>
>>2647558
Seriously. Cutting weight is miserable but necessary when everyone else does it. When I wrestled, there was no fucking way I would not cut when everyone around me is doing it in order to have a massive strength and size advantage come match time. I don't like the practice, but there's little to no incentive to avoid it especially in wrestling where you have hydration tests, weigh ins an hour before, etc.
>>
>>2647505
>No martial art can prepare you to real combat
you forgot about goju, most people don't make it to blackbelt because they can't survive the training without becoming crippled
>>
>>2647558
not lazy. cowardly

why don't you pick on someone your own size? unless it's for prize money, then pick on someone much smaller than you so you're sure to win!

this is why I have trouble respecting conor mcgrundle. Yes he works hard and is a good technician, but his 1 punch KO power and great center line control is solely based solely on the fact he cuts 40 pounds from his walking around weight to be the biggest guy in the division
>>
>>2647505
>>2648326
>you forgot about goju
This. Goju is based.
>>
Goju Karate is the better than other martial arts because it's not restricted to just striking or just grappling like boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, judo and bjj. Arts like sanda/sanshou and muay thai have grappling and striking like Goju Karate but they aren't as good because Goju is still more well rounded. Goju Karate prepares for you all aspects of striking and all aspects of grappling, unlike boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, judo and bjj. Goju Karate is still better than having cross trained a grappling martial art and a striking martial art because Goju is already a well developed martial art that thoroughly teaches the best ways to mix grappling and striking passed down through generations while people who try to mix striking and grappling have no idea what they're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kv8HkGWo2Q
This video shows how all of these arts like judo, wrestling, sambo, sanda/sanshou and what not are just a small part of Goju Karate and how they're insignificant compared to Goju Karate.
>>
File: thQGZHV2GX.jpg (11KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
thQGZHV2GX.jpg
11KB, 300x199px
I once knew a guy that got really caught up in the Boxing is the best martial art, you should never, ever kick in a street fight, kicking is highly ineffective, meme.

He got so caught up in thinking that kicks were useless that he told me that kicks don't do anything and they don't hurt.

I said: Let me kick you, then. He agreed to let me kick him.

I stood in front of him in an Orthodox Boxing stance. He stood in an Orthodox Boxing stance. This guy was more fit and in shape than me, and had at least 20 pounds on me. I hit him with a rear leg front push kick in the abdomen. You could clearly hear how he was winded and he was bent over. I looked at him, waiting for a response about how ineffective kicks were. Not a single word, not a single tiny whisper came out of his mouth.
>>
>>2648640
I hope you enjoy endless kata and never using any of this in live sparring.
>>
>>2648753
you are wrong about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIrJnAdEhMA
>>
>>2648432
>>2648326
I actually do goju ryu karate but I still stand behind what I said. A real combat situation is everything goes
>>
>>2648734
Nice blog, faggot
>>
>>2649538
There are lessons to be learned from every tale
>>
>>2648871
Eh, the sparring doesn't look as good as kyokushin, and most of the other stuff was just choreographed displays. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be impressed by.

We used to have a tripfag here was a 5th dan in Wado-ryu, and trained extensively in Goju. His end analysis was that they were both really similar, and neither of them were actually any good, shit loads of kata and bunkai, sparring maybe once every couple of months. IIRC, he ended up switching to Muay Thai and Sambo.
>>
>>2649911
It takes maybe 30 years to get dan five so I don't believe it one bit but goju ryu is good to do if you do mma because goju ryu is about training the spirit
>>
>>2649943
>implying no one here has trained for 30 years

I've been in Judo for 15 years, and previous to that I was involved in Taekwondo for 10 years, that's 25 years training. If you were around for more than 6 months, you'd know that I'm not the only one, many of the old trips here were older guys.
>>
>>2650076
Thats not what I'm implying though. I'm saying that if someone is dissatisfied with their martial art it wouldn't take them thirty years, possibly even more, to realize it.
>>
>>2648753
>>2649049
He's shitposting.
>>
>>2649911
>choreographed displays
tell me this, how many times have you gone to jiujitsu class and someone let you rep armbars on them, hundreds of reps?
what about boxing and someone holds the pads and tells you what punches to do, and stands there to let you do them, thousands of punches?

why are all things except karate exempt from ridicule when it comes to compliant drilling?
>>
>>2650546
Because glorious MMA masterrace is above everything else.
>>
>>2649911
I did Goju-ryu for a few months and it was pretty close to what Goju Guy described besides the people getting crippled left and right part. We'd do Kickboxing drills and mitt work, we'd do ground work, we'd work on throws and stand up grappling, and we'd do the Goju stuff. The sensei believed in supplementary training. We'd spar multiple times a month. Sometimes it was Kickboxing sparring, sometimes it was ground game only, sometimes it was open ruleset. You could go as hard in sparring as your partner wanted to go so it wasn't some slappy tappy sparring all the time. A Goju-ryu Karateka pulled guard on me onetime. It was like training MMA but it was more like MMA flavored Karate. Going to check out a Karate dojo I didn't expect to be doing hooks and uppercuts, yet I ended up also rolling right after. You could drill as hard as you want. I got punched in the face multiple times because I couldn't pull off some fancy Karate counter. Sometimes we did things by the book. Other times we worked on cutting and pasting the Goju moves. Other times we did drills but we could add whatever we wanted to them and change them however we wanted.
>>
>>2651979
Ive heard Old shotokan guys talk about how they use to train like that to but over the years things got watered down and noone cared to go hard and fast anymore.
>>
>>2652062
That's the thing I guess, people who want to go hard and fast just do full contact

Some old okinawan karate practitioner on youtube said he used to spar with muay thai fighters and that they performed nowhere as good as they do now
Yet the thing that changed is probably the type of karate practitioner, they used to be stationed soldiers, and those stationed soldiers went on to teach in the states
At some point the flame stop burning

Same for europe, first generation shotokan practitioners came, left good teachers, those teachers left alright ones, the alright ones left average ones
>>
>>2652062
>>2652197
That makes sense. I'm still young but my body's already not as resilient as it used to be. I don't know if I'll be sparring full contact with head shots into my 50s.
>>
>>2652252
I do know guys who could throw down into their sixties even with guys half as young as them, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Trained smart and hard. Though head shots might be a bit much,
>>
>>2651979
I'm glad this new generation of /asp/ies have come to finally appreciate the wisdom of goju guy
>>
>>2650546
Because karate drilling takes the form of uke throws a single punch that is too far to even land, then tori rushes in, blocks, and delivers a six hit combo while uke stands there in bow stance with his punching arm still out and his other chambered at his hip.
>>
make a new one you doubleniggers!
>>
File: 1494420414750.jpg (43KB, 1024x943px) Image search: [Google]
1494420414750.jpg
43KB, 1024x943px
>>2654916
TWO SPOOKS?
>>
>>2655003
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.