[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>kata is retarded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kv 8HkGWo2Q

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>kata is retarded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kv8HkGWo2Q
>>
How do dance moves help you to feel an opponent's balance? Nagewaza is useless without kuzushi
>>
>>1026892
>Kata (traditional forms) are just movements of the human body. They are muscle-memory building tools used to get your body coordinated and at the same time learn movements that can be applied in a combative situation. The only difference is what happens afterwards: training to apply it.
>>
>>1026904
Or you can just skip the dancing and do uchi komi with a partner to get a feel for leverage points while drilling the movement
>>
>>1026877

Not as retarded as Pro Wrestling!
>>
>>1026934
Pro wrestling is only retarded if you like it. Getting bajillions of dollars for making some dudes take roids and do some minor acrobatics and poor acting is smart.
>>
>>1026909
I get the complex kata are more unrealistic, but some of these that are simple like sprawl drills can't be that bad to do.
Obviously nothing is better than randori/rolling
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juyanT_0zoM
>>
>>1027094
That arm breaking was disgusting
>>
File: 63463576463.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
63463576463.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>1027100
>mfw arm breaks are the best
>>
>>1027090
>Obviously nothing is better than randori/rolling
>meme spouting
>>
>>1026877
Jesus christ, its absolutely disgusting every time one of these videos come out. They post some things that look vaguely similar, and ignore entirely the role they have in Kata, and the differences between what they do in Kata, and what they're squinting and pretending they're doing.

At 51 seconds they try to pretend a Double outer/mountain block is a Fireman's carry. Except in the motion depicted he brings his hands up from his hips to his shoulders. How the fuck is he supposed to catch someone's legs if he never reaches for the legs.

He follows this up by doing a completely different motion, and demonstrating he still has no idea how to do a proper fireman's carry (and it's embarrassing that I of all people can spot that).

All over this video. A crescent kick to the head? That's the same thing as a leg sweep (and also a single leg, because he couldn't find a demonstration of his stupid leg sweep).

If you want to learn these techniques, learn these techniques. If you think Katas are important, actually make new Katas out of these techniques. But don't fucking pretend these are the techniques in the Katas, or that you're training the same motion at all.
>>
>>1027316
You forgot about the part where every situation is different and you adapt as necessary. Kata is never intended to be directly repeated in the middle of a spar or fight, like a Street Fighter move, as is repeated every single time the topic comes up.
>>
>>1027316
Are you even the real Dr. Goblin?
>>
File: 1442024532340.jpg (22KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1442024532340.jpg
22KB, 480x480px
>>1026877
>See a video
>That looks awesome!
>Remember I don't live on a coast and can only go to McDojos
>>
>>1027236
>I'm just gonna go ahead and drill all day and never spar
have fun at your mcdojo
>>
>>1027355
Well then there's no fucking point in drilling it is there, if you're not building muscle memory or practicing technique.

>>1027364
For my sins, I am.

>>1027389
Good news! You can learn this shit in any McDojo.
>>
>>1027389
join wrestling or a YMCA.
>>
If there are two people in a dojo, they should be sparring much more often than they do kata.
>>
>>1026877
this is nice. yet none of the people doing practical shit in actual competition don't practice your faggot ass style
>>
>>1027545
>getting injuries and brain damage is practical
lmao
>>
>>1027554
>brain damage from grappling sports
>dancing like a faggot and never testing your skills is practical

you sound like a little bitch
>>
>>1026892
>>1026909
>>1027558
>dance moves
>dancing
>dancing like a faggot
However faggoty that 'dancing' is, anyone doing it will never be as much of a faggot as you
>>1027090
>>1027397
From
>>996420
>>1017157
>I agree with this. This
>you must spar full contact all day errday
meme that is getting promoted by r/martial arts and /asp/ is a joke.

>I remember well when my boxing coach gave a big angry speech about people asking him for free sparring when they can't even keep they hands up for a full round. But they feel they need to spar more and get hit in the face more for some reason.
>Sparring =/= sparring.
Have fun being terrible at your basics, having shit technique and sucking at sparring
>> 1027316
>Jesus christ, its absolutely disgusting every time one of these videos come out.
>If you want to learn these techniques, learn these techniques. If you think Katas are important, actually make new Katas out of these techniques. But don't fucking pretend these are the techniques in the Katas, or that you're training the same motion at all.
hat makes them even more retarded is that Karate already has throws
>http://www.karatebyjesse.com/funakoshi-9-throws-shotokan-karate/
and Okinawan martial arts has Tuite, it's deeper grappling element. Interpreting moves like this as something they're not is asinine
>>
>>1026877
It is the way it gets practiced a lot. I'm surprised there are no styles that have decided fuck if and make their kata like judo's, or straight up like shadowboxing, albeit a but more straightforward. Besides even if there's more to kata, the fact that so little people use it like that at all, much less well sucks.
>>
>>1026934
WWE is retarded and the wrestling fan base is horrible and full of neckbeards but i went to a lucha libre show once and it was pretty badass.
>>
>>1026877
>Luca Valdesi
faggot with a gut
>>
>>1027778
This us what happens when you train martial arts and never spar. You become a cocky little bitch who has too much confidence from skipping around doing forms. Put your dance moves to the test for once.
>>
>>1034724
This. I would love to fight against any fag who thinks that doing kata prepares them for a fight
>>
>>1034724
>If all they're doing is kata and kihon with no full contact kumite, then they damn well deserve to get beat
>>
>>1034833
I dont know what your anime lingo means, but i never said that anybody deserves to get beat. Its just not right to talk so much shit and act like your style is superior if you never spar with a resisting opponent.
>>
>>1026877
movements arent even remotely similar, what a croc of shit
>>
>>1026877
>>1027094
i cant imagine what kind of lonely life the maker of these videos must lead. trying to find dance moves that are vaguely similar to actual fighting techniques.
its like how do you become so fucking deluded
>>
File: 7587696647659.jpg (4KB, 320x183px) Image search: [Google]
7587696647659.jpg
4KB, 320x183px
>>1035091
Damn you're a blind motherfucker, or just trying to stay clinging to you're "forms are dancing" mentality.

>vaguely similar
The moments are practically the same
>>
>>1035116
>The moments are practically the same
i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. to the trained eye they are not similar at all
>>
Kumite is the soul of karate. Kihon is also essential. Fuck kata.
>>
>>1035135
>first three moves in op video
>the movements are the same with slight adjustments for spacing

How did you get that "trained eye"?
>>
>>1035145
4th and 5th movements are even better examples
>>
>>1035145
first movement has similar arm positions, has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LEG MOVEMENTS
second matches but is not even a kata
third doesnt match in any way, not the arms, legs, body or anything
fourth matches in arm movements and direction, legs are again different, as is the stance itself
fifth matches though its not one of the official kodokan techniques (though the thigh lift is stil lknown in judo in general)
sixth the direction where he throws him changes from forward to the side when the actual technique appears

like i said, its a bunch of dance moves that kinda look similar to actual techniques. but completely ignore the most important aspects (leg positions determine weight distribution).
>>
File: 014.png (366KB, 883x1300px) Image search: [Google]
014.png
366KB, 883x1300px
>>1034962
>anime lingo
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate#Practice
> Its just not right to talk so much shit and act like your style is superior if you never spar with a resisting opponent.
Understood this, meant to link to,
>1034749
as well. What I meant was that if they if they only practice kata and neglect sparring, they only have themselves to blame when they lose
>>
>>1027316

I remember being a krottyfag in the mid-90s when suddenly every strip mall sensei was "discovering" grappling techniques in every kata kata that had been taught to him as a series of punches, kicks, and blocks. Shit, I remember a seminar once on how Naihanchin/Tekki was really meant to be done on your back from the guard.

If the guys in the OP video had shown themselves doing any sparring using any of this shit they were demoing it might have had some merit. Otherwise this is just pareidolia.
>>
>>1035172
>COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LEG MOVEMENTS
Instead of crossing his legs, they are lined up. If he stepped just a little deeper, it would be the exact same.
>not even a kata
So you know all the kata these karateka know?
>third doesn't even match
He doesn't raise his left leg, that's the only difference
>legs and stance are different
They are both right leading high-back stances with the exact same small sweep
>not official kodokan
They are karateka, not judoka
>direction changes
Both are sideways, the major difference is that the back leg in the "form" is straight while during application it's a horse stance.
>>
>>1035176
>>1034749
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.