[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1365

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 523
Thread images: 73

File: djt.png (198KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
djt.png
198KB, 1000x750px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide (read Guide before asking questions):
http://bitlasers.com/djt

Previous Thread:
>>135766415
>>
File: DJTの勇者.png (1MB, 1281x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DJTの勇者.png
1MB, 1281x1080px
なるべく諦めない!
なせば大抵なんとかなる!

Persistence is the key to success. You CAN learn Japanese!
>>
File: make your mother proud.png (248KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
make your mother proud.png
248KB, 564x564px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

When I was leaving Yemen to come to America, things were tough. My dad had just been laid off, and it was a challenge. When I lived in Yemen, I thought America was a perfect place. Everything was bigger and better. I dreamed big. The American dream, you know? You have to work hard for your dream to come true.
>>
File: 白黒.jpg (567KB, 1326x978px) Image search: [Google]
白黒.jpg
567KB, 1326x978px
>>
File: dfgar5e.png (81KB, 409x503px) Image search: [Google]
dfgar5e.png
81KB, 409x503px
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE. THERE IS NO "CAN'T".
>>
Report and hide flamebait. Report and hide responses to flamebait. Report and hide yourself.
>>
>>135797434
master race reporting in
>>
File: 11154546.png (322KB, 766x537px) Image search: [Google]
11154546.png
322KB, 766x537px
>>135797450
Just shut up and come play in the tub.
>>
File: Scan-140724-0014.jpg (3MB, 5640x2837px) Image search: [Google]
Scan-140724-0014.jpg
3MB, 5640x2837px
Posted in the previous thread but, yeah.

Anyone starting out and having trouble with katakana, here's a fun exercise. Find a japanese release of an album by a band you like (rutracker is full of them) and try reading the scans. What's great about this is if you get stuck on a certain Kanji, instead of looking it up, you can continue reading, recall the name of a certain song or word you know is supposed to be there, and then associate the sound with the symbol. Plus why wouldn't you want the Japanese releases? They always have a cool extra track or two.
>>
>>135797731
>if you get stuck on a certain Kanji
katakana*
>>
>>135797731
>>135797768
why would people have problems with katakana? they are everywhere
>>
>>135797768

One day you'll write that post correctly anon, I have faith in you.
>>
>>135798045
I'm sorry I only give myself like 5 hours of slep a day, my sleep clock is completely messed up.
>>
File: 1438100491115.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1438100491115.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>135797488
How do I know you're not flamebait yourself?
>>
>>135798094
That's a cute anime. Can I save her?
>>
File: %t-2016-01-07_13-47-51.jpg (33KB, 270x91px) Image search: [Google]
%t-2016-01-07_13-47-51.jpg
33KB, 270x91px
This is the best I've ever done in Anki in my entire life.
>>135797731
I see a couple SNES and PC98 games in pure Katakana, I plan on playing one just to train one of these days.
>>135798034
A lot of katakana like ヌ literally never fucking show up anyway, that combined with the fact that high densities of katakana is relatively uncommon in Japanese text, someone who's otherwise good at reading could easily struggle to fluidly read katakana strings. that said, not sure how much that one image would help in comparison to a whole RPG.
>>
File: 妹.png (40KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
妹.png
40KB, 325x325px
>>135797731
>having trouble with katakana
>>
>>135798155
What's a good SNES RPG purely in katakana one could emulate?
>>
>>135798130
I wish you could, anon. I wish you could. ;_;
>>
Please don't be mean.
What should I do after learning kana? Or, what did you do?
>>
>>135798244
I didn't mean it like that, anon. I'm sorry.
>>
>>135798331
I read muramasa.
>>
>>135798331
start with kanji, however you feel comfortable, try out several methods
start reading manga with furigana for now, dragonball is relatively easy and long
start watching drama or anime without subs looking up words by phonetics to train your ears
>>
>>135798210
The only one I actually remember is Phantasy Star and I think that's genesis, my mistake.
Here's an example of a PC game with all katakana, should be obvious by what I meant of good readers struggling: https://vndb.org/v18190
>>
>>135798402
Genesis is fine too. I grew up on that console anyway.
>>
File: 1451592962124.jpg (31KB, 260x255px) Image search: [Google]
1451592962124.jpg
31KB, 260x255px
Why is RTK/Kanjidamage bad?
>>
>>135798504
Teaches liberal (gay) values.
>>
>>135798396
Thank you!
>>
>>135798504
It's not, it's just not an ideal method for everyone so it's a meme to shit on it.

Now Wanikani, that is actually bad, unless it's the free as in freedom anki deck that also lets you go at your own pace and is fully customizable.
>>
>>135798447
Huh, I booted up PS2 for the Genesis and it had hiragana. I guess it was either PS1 or I just misremembered. Sorry.
>>
>>135798504
They teach you nothing but dumb shit that you don't need.
>>
>>135798730
>dumb shit that you don't need
Like the Japanese language?
>>
>>135798504
It's very good at what it's trying to do (teach you how to distinguish, remember and write Kanji), but it doesn't teach you japanese. People try to use it to learn japanese, end up disappointed when it doesn't work and shit all over it.
>>
Is it a bad idea to show new cards randomly for the core deck?
>>
>>135799026
Extremely
>>
>>135799111
Why might that be?
>>
>>135799202
The "optimized" part of Core's name is referring to the order of the cards, not the cards themselves. The order introduces kanji in an order that tries to build upon what you already know as best it can, tending to introduce words with kanji you know before words with new kanji (note that the optimization algoritihim wasn't perfect so if you pay attention you'll notice weird quirks). But, all in all it's pretty good, and the first 2,000 words in Core2k/6k (aka core2k) do a really good job of introducing all the uber-common kanji (1,000 to be precise), so if you did a random order not only would you make it harder to learn new kanji, you'd also be pulling words from Core6k into Core2k and that's bad (because Core6k by and large contains more "useless" words than Core2k).
>>
File: 1296356965958.gif (594KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
1296356965958.gif
594KB, 299x276px
>>135798331
I had known kana for a while already. I started seriously thinking about learning Japanese when I jumped headfirst into kanji one day on an impulse. I just kept studying something around 10 kanji a day without really thinking about what I was doing. The only thing on my mind was learning those kanji for the time being. At first I used memrise (yeah, I was clueless), then I tried KD (Hated it. Learning several kanji with the same radical in sequence made things unnecessarily confusing. Probably why I didn't even try RTK.), then some 教育漢字 anki deck I found... Anyway, I just kept shooting everywhere because every resource seemed to be lacking somewhere. I would always kept learn at least 10 kanji a day though, so it's not as if I was procrastinating or anything. Eventually I decided to make my own deck. I used the kodansha kanji learner's dictionary (a pretty good reference book) as my main reference for that and added kanji based on a frequency list in that book. I also tried adding a few words for every new kanji I learned. That gave me a decent base vocab to start off with.

Almost immediately after I picked up kanji, I also started to read Tae Kim.

I kept this routine until I felt confident enough to start reading, which happened somewhere around 600 kanji and 2/3 of Tae Kim. I also started mining for words then. This is when I really felt like I was starting to make progress. Also, this is when I started using the DOJG (blessed be that book) in full force.

After I had a considerable amount of kanji under my belt (I had long since finished Tae Kim by then) I simply dropped the kanji deck and stuck with mining. Still, I kept a separate deck for words with new kanji because I like to make at least one recall card for every kanji I learn. I finally abandoned this recall deck just the other day. Now I just enjoy Japanese and do a few minutes of recognition reps everyday.

I also started watching raw anime at some point there.

Hope that helps somehow.
>>
File: 1424755735499.jpg (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1424755735499.jpg
62KB, 300x300px
>>135799580
Pretty much all "learning Japanese" stories end up with Anki vocabulary + consuming native material. It's nice to see justice and truth prevail.
>>
>>135798331
Learn Japanese
>>
>>135799677
Just to be clear, I don't think it was a bad thing to start by doing kanji individually. On the contrary. I would recommend for anyone to do the same so that they can focus on understanding radicals and how to at least give a good guess at the stroke order of a kanji. It's just that it's pointless to do all of the jouyou individually.

Like I said, I was reading and mining words before I knew even 1000 kanji. The only thing that made me keep adding cards to my individual kanji deck was habit at that point. Once I realized taking mined words with new kanji and making recall cards out of them was much more effective things became much easier for me. Some people might not even care to do recall, so that's all the more reason not to stick with individual kanji for too long.

I still don't like the idea of jumping straight into core2k though. I get the feeling, based on what a lot of people post here, that people who start just with core decks often develop the habit of just recognizing the "general shape" of the word and don't really learn to identify kanji. I think that's really bad cause it seems like it will compromise your ability to organically expand your vocab later on when you start reading.
>>
File: 1451834104389.gif (4MB, 285x247px) Image search: [Google]
1451834104389.gif
4MB, 285x247px
Who /forgottodorepsbeforechuggingabottleofrobitussin/ here?

This is gonna be a pain in the ass
>>
>first day of jap 100
>that one white kid who knows a little bit too much japanese
> literally everyone else is chinese and thinks they'll do well because they'll recognize kanji
>they can't pronounce shit
>I have no clue what's going on
>only have to memorize 60 kanji but have to do a fuckton of speaking practice

dis gon b good.
>>
>>135800112
Ah, I didn't do DXM in a long time.

I should do it again sometime, probably my favorite drug aside from cannabis.
>>
>>135798504
Because you are a bad girl and you need to be punished.
>>
>>135800132
>fuckton of speaking practice
This is the real reason jap classes are looked down on on the internet. Speaking is fucking scary.
>>
Remember that Wanikani is the key to success!
>>
>>135800243
Holy fuck there are literally hundreds of people who are "learning japanese" but have no speaking practice? Do they think japan is an imageboard?
>>
>>135798701
I thought anki was only free as in free beer.
>>
>>135799677
Why not do what you feel is best for you? Not everyone learns the same. I don't understand the holier than thou attitude, unless it's just annoyance at NYR people.

Anki is great, but it can also be really boring. Every DJT thread has people who dread having to do their reps. Tae Kim doesn't really explain things well, but is treated like a godly guide, when there's other pretty great (free) grammar resources available too.
>>
>>135800302
They're just learning Japanese to compliment their hobbies, which usually don't involve speaking as a necessity.
>>
>>135800112
Japanese stops me from blazing in the middle of the day because I don't do reps until night
>>
>>135800243
The real reason is that speaking with other beginners is at best useless and at worst actually harmful to your learning.
>>
>>135800187
It's the only thing I like but it makes language learning a little strange. Better in some ways (Ability to empathize with the speaker/japanese culture) but it directly impairs your language abilities so it's a bit of a wash.
>>
>>135800313
Someone charging you for a pile of shit doesn't change the fact that it's a pile of shit.
>>
>>135800391
Agreed, but I don't understand how that's related to what I said.
>>
I'm just starting out and currently I'm just learning Kanji with flashcards by having two sided cards with kani readings and the various meanings on one side and the translation on the other, i.e.
side a:
>当てる
side b:
>to hit
>apply, put on, put against, hold against
>to allot, call on someone
>to guess
>to make a hit

The way I choose which ones to learn is just going through Tae Kim's guide, taking the newly introduced kanji in each chapter, and adding both the words that are in the guide and all the words labeled as "common" in jisho containing said kanji plus ones I learned previously. It's a slow process but I'm expecting it'll make the jump into independent reading after the guide easier. I wanted to know whether this is a terrible idea or just somewhat inefficient.
>>
>>135800324
>Tae Kim
>treated like a godly guide
False, it's just treated like a good guide which is very accessible. Nobody praises Tae Kim for being exceptionally good.
>>
>>135800482
That's not kanji, that's a word.
>>
>>135800383
What plateau do you usually go for and how does it affect your reading and listening comprehension?
>>
>>135800482
Sounds pretty good to me. Are you adding individual cards for all words or are you putting words with the same kanji in the same card?

Also, how many new words/kanji you do a day is a probably more important than any other factor in your learning method, given that you're not doing something that's simply ineffective.
>>
>>135800607
By that I mean, I go into a new chapter of the guide. I find a word containing a new kanji. I add that to the deck. I then go on jisho and search for all other words containing the same kanji labeled as "common", as long as they don't contain any other kanji I don't yet know, and add them too.

>>135800650
Separate card for each word, as in 2 cards for 当てる, 当たる, then another 4 for both of their masu forms, etc. As for the frequency, it varies quite a bit. I'd add a substantial amount some day, and then I won't add anything 'till the amount of new cards per day decreases to something like 60. Reason is back when I had a lot of free time I tried brute forcing a shitload each day, and I'd just find my retention to be awful, so I figured I'd rather take it slower but make sure the new stuff I add actually stays.
>>
is けど as a 語尾 like "He's not going to the store, though." or is it like "He's not going to the store; but..."?
>>
>>135800778
>then another 4 for both of their masu forms, etc.

Holy fuck, I thought you were doing okay at first, but this is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>135800778
>then another 4 for both of their masu forms, etc.
Don't do that. It's no very effective to use anki to learn grammar concepts. Just learn their dictionary forms, then learn how to conjugate verbs.
>>
>>135800834
I can't think of another way of remembering which verbs are ichidan and godan though and I figure this way I simply get the verb come up twice instead of once, helping me remember it better, making it two birds with one stone.
>>
>>135800778
>then another 4 for both of their masu forms
Yeah, don't do that.
http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/guide/OJ.php#jodoushi
>>
>>135800785
I can be both.
>>
>>135800924
Wait, really?
>>
>>135800908
95% of the time you can tell which is which from the verb ending, and the exceptions you will learn naturally. All you need to memorize is the differences between how they conjugate.
>>
>>135800324
I'm not holier-than-thou. I just like noting that people who succeed always end up doing right way, which is consuming native material, whereas the people who fail tend to be those who don't consume native material. Anki may be boring, but the gains it provides also is a big measure of success, and it's not any more boring than the nonsense normies will put themselves through to learn a language. As for Tae Kim, the meme that's it's over-rated is something that really annoys me because it's not true, people recommend it because they used it and found success from it, nothing more; and futhermore, imabi/DOJG and recently Japanese the Manga Way (thanks to you-know-who) are usualyl mentioned in turn. You really don't see pretty much anyone saying Tae Kim is god and the best and the only thing you need, ever. The closest thing to that is people saying "just do Tae Kim and then read", which is a fair statement I think because Tae Kim is far shorter than Imabi and DOJG and therefore optimal for people wishing to read ASAP.
>>
>>135800622
I go for two because I'm irresponsible. Three is absolute NG for language learning. Two makes it more fun but your comprehension obviously plummets. I'd say One is beneficial since you're less likely to mind that comprehension is a pain in the ass but you're not as impaired as you could be.

I think that even though a lot of drugs impair your ability to remember words, it's important to approach a language from as many emotional headspaces as possible.
>>
>>135800908
even if you wanted to do that you have to put them on the same note or else you won't connect them properly.
>>
>>135801015
Well, considering the massive reaction that part of my process got I guess I should delete my conjugated forms from my deck. It would make my reviews quicker, meaning I can add cards more frequently too.

>>135801053
I can connect them perfectly fine. The dictionary form and the conjugated form would have the same other side, except one card would have (dictionary form) at the end, and keep in mind they're double cards, meaning when I get the english side first I have to write out the thing.
>>
>>135800908
Ichidan always end in iru or eru. Everything else is either godan or irregular. There are a few godan that end in eru or iru, but they are not very numerous. It's much simpler to simply know those.
>>
>>135801106
You're beyond advice.
>>
>>135800360
Plus the "speaking practice" tends to be the teacher saying something than the students repeating it. Wow, how helpful. Steve mentions how whenever he meets French students from a language school, he can tell they all have a bad accent in the exact same way they developed from speaking primarily to each other. If you're gonna speak, do so with real natives over Skype or some such, speaking in school isn't going to help.
>>
>>135800961
Yeah, really.
>>
>>135801046
Huh, I'd have expected you to go for the first plateau. It's been more than a year since I've done this, but last time I did the second plateau I was already rolling around the floor with my friends.

Come to think of it, I've only ever approached Japanese while either drunk (did not work so well) or while high on cannabis (took some more concentration, but sitting outside in the sun and reading moeshit manga on a bench while high is one of the comfiest things ever).

Have fun anon.
>>
If I upload a word to a deck in anki through a notepad document, and then move that card to another deck, if I then reupload that same notepad document, will it make a duplicate word in the first deck, as well as keeping the one in the second deck?
>>
>>135801498
Why don't you just try it and see what happens?
>>
>>135801539
めんどくさい
>>
>>135797438
RADICAL

FREEDOM

hahaha
>>
>>135800302

As with all languages you can learn to speak fine without specifically practicing it as long as you listen to natural-sounding Japanese for long enough and know what kind of speech is used in your situation, i.e. not using girly speech patterns if you're a hairy-ass man.

It'll obviously take way longer and you'll probably always have an accent, but the odds of people ending up in a situation where they need to speak the language without them seeking out such a situation voluntarily (in which case they probably have practiced speaking) are almost non-existent.
>>
File: radicalfreedom.png (300KB, 675x500px) Image search: [Google]
radicalfreedom.png
300KB, 675x500px
>>135801628
>>
>>135801674
XD
>>
>>135801642
Whenever I want to say something, it feels like my brain access all the Japanese I've read and scans for something to copy/build from. So whenever I can't say something, my conclusion is that I just need to read or listen more. I'm not sure where speaking to people would help in this process.
>>
>>135801642
Consume enough media and it can shape your accent correctly too though
>eastern european uni student
>go to Ireland to make some money to live off of for next year because country is an impoverished shithole
>the Irish people in the workplace genuinely think I'm American despite the groundwork of my learning of the language came from living 5 years in Ireland as a kid beforehand
>>
What's something I can do alongside reading Tae Kim? I understand the grammar easily enough while reading the lesson and doing the excercises, but then completely blank out when I run into it in actual material. My retention for grammar rules is shit.
>>
>>135801924
You just have to keep reading. The DOJG deck can help, you may want to check out "All About Particles" and "Japanese the Manga Way" but seriously, you just need to keep reading.
>>
>>135801187
Sounds comfy as heck. Mommy has a lot of weed so maybe sometime this summer I'll go down to uwajimaya and do exactly that
>>
File: 1429448521743.jpg (19KB, 285x279px) Image search: [Google]
1429448521743.jpg
19KB, 285x279px
>>135801975
>Mommy has a lot of weed
>>
>>135802035
He's probably referring to either himself, his female dealer or his girlfriend.

It's a common practice in some forums to not refer to yourself whenever discussing illegal drugs, and use some kind of third-person pseudonym instead.

SWIM (someone who isn't me) is probably the most common form, and also the weakest one.
>>
>>135802035
Seattle. Legal weed leads to some strange situations
>>
>>135802112
Hah, well fuck me then. My drug lingo game is weak.
>>
>>135802145
Heh, I used to be all over this stuff when I was 17.

Funnily enough, the only illegal drug I ever did was weed.
>>
>>135801924

It's a pretty weird and specific thing that probably doesn't help you at all, but I have a mental image associated with every kana so I always take the kana that are used for the grammar and create mental scenarios that include both the associations and the function of the grammar itself.

Of course it requires unwrapping them a bit when conjugations get mixed together but in general I can remember about 80% of grammar rules pretty reliably from the first or second time I learn them. I used to suck at grammar too so I'm pretty surprised how well it has worked, the human brain is a strange-ass thing.
>>
Can some kind anon write the lyrics of this song for me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut90Uf4o_8o
>>
Who WaniKani + Anki here? I retain all things.
>>
>>135802282
This shitty hipster music with the pretentious visuals and the lyrics they don't know. Godlike.
>>
>>135802515
I just downloaded the original and I can actually hear all of what she is saying now.
>>
>>135802282
https://soundcloud.com/hentais/shyness-boy
>>
>>135802282
>ΛDRIΛNWΛVE
>ADRIANWAVE
>ADRIAN
>that "AY" sample at the very start that sounded like Sylvester Stalone

I kekked.

Loving the groove. Then again I am almost as much a little slut for fade-ins as I am for sweet syths.

Hate fade-outs though.

>>135802515
>hispter music
>pretentious visuals

Sounds like a generic EDM radio track with an image of a chinese catoon to go with it. Do you know what either of those buzzwords are supposed to mean?
>>
>>135802679
Fuckboy general?
>>
>>135802282
>>135802679
So how is this even considered music? It's literally just a complete copy-paste job with a few terrible bits added.
>>
File: 1441130008734.jpg (38KB, 326x346px) Image search: [Google]
1441130008734.jpg
38KB, 326x346px
>>135802738
>misspelling "fuccboi"
>>
>>135802858
>So how is this even considered music?
Maybe because it's music? Shit man, I'unno.
>>
>>135802112
Well, you're right, but I was literally referring to my biological mother who I live with having a lot of weed. (like wayyyyy too much for a responsible human being to have)

I'm not sure if weed effects language learning, but even if it does, whatever gets you interacting with the language is important and the fact that you'll forget whatever you learn on drugs doesn't matter. Remembering what you've forgotten is easier than learning something completely new
>>
>>135802905
But is it? I understand the idea of remixes, and if they're actually transforming the track in some way, I can understand. But this is just adding a dumb "vapor" beat and someone turning down the volume on the main track occasionally. Can that really be considered music?
>>
Having trouble with retention on core2k.
>>
Today I learned that it's impossible to get blue Kanji on KanjiGrid.
>>
>>135803265
Tell that to my blues.
>>
>>135803150
It gets better
>>
>>135803071
>But is it? [...] Can that really be considered music?

Yes, it can. Just because the remix has too little adjustemnts to a music tracks to justify his integrity as an artist in your view does not somehow transform the remix into non-music. I find it a nice touch to the track, comparing the two. Nobody is calling the remixer a genius or a master. It's just a touch that might be something some listeners might like. For god sakes, download a single by deamau5 or something. It will have a radio edit, an off vocal edit, a full edit, a slight remix, a slight remix featuring some other guy. Do you sperg out over that shit too and dismiss it all as "non-music" too?
>>
File: kanji grid.png (121KB, 483x2625px) Image search: [Google]
kanji grid.png
121KB, 483x2625px
>>135803265
You jelly?
>>
>>135803334
I don't think so. They're just leeching off in pretty big chunks.
>>
>>135803317
Pic of the grid + grid options or fake.
>>
>>135803380
>not even three weeks in wordcount wise
>>
>>135803380
-> >>135803406
You can't get blue Kanji unless you cheated the options.

Card interval considered strong at 180 makes it impossible.
>>
>>135803071
Yeah he just sped it up and accentuated the best parts of the track. It's not the best future funk track but I like it. I'd recommend マクロス82-99.
>>
>>135803448
What's the default max interval in anki?
>>
>>135803398
>>
>>135803515
THERE IS NO "CAN'T".
>>
>>135803503
Dunno but I put 200 on my Kanji decks and still no blue in sight after decades using Anki.
>>
>>135803549
radical meme
>>
>>135803503
>>135803571
Apparently it's 200 by default anyway.
>>
>>135803478
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4Wbu3t1nw
>>
>>135803612
"considered strong" at 180 should be fine then
>>
>>135803398
Try WaniKani, it teaches slower but your retention rate improves dramatically.
>>
>>135803702
Kill yourself.
>>
>>135803380
Not really.
>>
>>135803725
If you can't afford $5/mo. you should be the one offing yourself.
>>
>>135803671
Should all buttons (hard, good, easy) be at 6.7 months or what? I swear I feel like I can't get any. How was it for those who managed to get blue Kanji without messing with the options?
>>
>>135803725
What is wrong with you? Why do you lash out? Why are you so full of hate? Why would you post something like that? I don't understand. Is there something wrong with you? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?
>>
>>135803767
Not sure whether kanjigrid uses the current interval or the last successful interval.
>>
File: 1448058718637.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1448058718637.gif
134KB, 340x340px
>>135803380
>cheats the card interval
>still has green kanji
>>
>>135803827
Mmm, makes sense.
>>
>>135803813
>jujube
Hello reddit.
>>
>>135803758
>>135803855
Kill yourself.
>>
>>135803870
From the look of it he hasn't even learned easy shits like 弱 either.
>>
>>135803855
>samefagging
>>
File: suspe.jpg (215KB, 854x738px) Image search: [Google]
suspe.jpg
215KB, 854x738px
Well my first day of doing a deck for all my suspended cards went well

kill me
>>
>>135803920
羽 I mean, whatever, both are related.
>>
File: 1448937200670.gif (996KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
1448937200670.gif
996KB, 500x267px
>tfw gf is bragging me into learning japanese so I can read naruto as soon as it comes out
I keep telling myself it will worth it, but it's so hard
>>
>>135803977
Naruto stopped coming out.
>>
Is there a way to get Anki to let you have different card formats for subdecks in the same parent?
>>
>Struggling with Anki
>Can't finish a grammar guide
>Can't read even simple sentences
>This is five months in
>>
>>135804024
Yes?
>>
>>135804075
I'm 12 months in and haven't memorized more than a hundred words.
>>
>>135804075
I've been at it on and off for a year and I can't read shit not have finished a single guide. I can merely take joy from the fact that letting other people know what a fucking failure I am gives them hope. Keep at it.
>>
>Cornucopia of Resources
>Cornucopia
>>
>>135804075
>>135804142
>>135804170
I could coach you people and make you successful at Japanese but in the meantime I wonder what I'd even get from this. It's not like I'd get paid or anything.

I wish I could code and shit, I could make a wanikani-style website but better and earn money for teaching plebs Japanese. Too bad I'm too lazy to learn how to code.
>>
>>135804178
Cornucopia letteralmente significa "corno di ricchezze" dal latino "cornu" e "copiae".
Penso sia un termine adatto alla risorsa.
>>
>>135804227
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

Anki is written in python. Anki extensions are written in python. The easiest-to-recommend source for non-programmers to learn programming teaches python. The teaching habits the author uses are compatible with the needs of ankidrones. Learning programming languages is like learning spoken languages, only like 100x easier. You can learn python, you can modify anki, you can make your dreams come true.
>>
>>135803341
>All noise is considered music, no matter how bad it is

The argument of people with shit taste. You probably think shitting on a canvas is art.
>>
>>135804227
>I could coach you people and make you successful at Japanese
You couldn't coach me at shit. I'm sitting here with a PDF on vectorial and spatial math open at 23:34 with a beer in my hand, having no idea what any of this shit means, and a test coming up tomorrow, which I will fail, and as a consequence will not be allowed to take the exam, which in turn will result in me losing my state sponsored position. Everything I ever try I fail at. You think some coaching of yours will change me as a human being?
>>
>>135804305
Non-webcancer link straight to the free web version.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
>>
>>135804307
But the base argument was that the remix barely differs from the original. How does that make the remix as a track contained in of itself bad? That would mean the original is shit too, and if that's what you're saying, then that's merely your opinnion with nothing to back it and isn't even part of the argument here.
>>
>>135804305
>>135804369
I'll bookmark this but I'll probably never do it. Thanks anyway anons.

>>135804326
Make people's lives more successful is what I do for a living. I could totally make your life better believe it or not. The sad truth is I am not sure it'd be worth it for me to do that for you. I love helping people but I can't help everyone. I'm not Shirou.
>>
he-who-doesnotsleep shall-enter the-depths-of-intermediatehell
>>
>want to try watching an anime raw this season but too afraid of not understanding any of it
Is Dagashi Kashi (4chan being fucky and won't let me post it in hiragana) decent? Maybe I'll feel a bit more confident going into it if I read the source material first.
>>
>>135804515
It's a myth.
>>
>>135804622
When does the new season start? Also can I see the line-up anywhere?
>>
Damn, I read all of Tae's guide over the course of a week and can't remember any of it. Maybe I should be just used an anki grammar deck and a list of Japanese particles and conjugations.
>>
>>135804515
Anybody who doesn't give up will eventually enter intermediate hell. Unless they're only planning on using their Japanese to buy groceries and do other normalfag shit.
>>
>>135804733
http://anichart.net/winter
>>
>>135804733
Started a couple days ago. Just look up an anime chart or go to livechart or anichart.
>>
>>135804749
>over the course of a week
There's your problem. Have you tried taking it slower? Taking notes also helps.

If you're going to do an anki deck do the dojg one. Learning through example sentences is the best way anki can help you with grammar.

I also don't suggest having a list of particles and conjugations by your side. That'll only make you lazy.
>>
I suck at grammar, and kim tae just doesn't help me.
I find it too obtuse for me, I'm not all the intelligent but I do want to get better at Japanese, anyone got any other big grammar reference sites or materials that are clear?
>>
>>135804790
>>135804784
Thank you, anons.
>>
>>135804622
>afraid of not understanding any of it
Literally why? Are you afraid of the shame of failure?
>>
Feels so good to complete WK reviews.
>>
>>135804915
Literally all humans are afraid of failure. It's hardwired into our brains.
>>
>>135804915
Because I like anime and don't want to miss stuff. If it's something that's mediocre like a lot of seasonal anime is and I read the source material beforehand though then I guess it doesn't matter.
>>
>>135804896
Have you tried Japanese the Manga Way? It uses romaji and the scan in CoR is kind of shit but it might help.
>>
>>135804896
Genki, Manga the Japanese the Manga Way and Visualizing Japanese Grammar should be more accessible. I haven't tried Genki personally though, but I think it's the most comprehensive of the three.
>>
>>135804369
That's awfully basic for what really needs to be known. No wonder there are so many shit Python programmers around.
>>
>>135804970
Then do that. You can try rewatching something you like too.
>>
>>135804915
I am the same, I think is because I have this small amount of pride that doesn't stop me from knowing I am terrible at stuff but also goes "You will definitely know you are stupid as fuck if you try your hardest and fail"
>>
>>135805110
>>135804958
You're not watching the anime with the intent of trying yourself or even of understanding everything. You're only doing it as practice. The only way you can fail is by not doing it.
>>
>>135804784
Nothing seems to really stand out this season
>>
>>135804970
You could always watch it raw first and then again with subs
>>
File: 892034821.png (9KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
892034821.png
9KB, 645x773px
>>135805159
>The only way you can fail is by not doing it.
>>
>>135805208
If you're gonna do it twice I'd recommend the other way around. This way he makes sure he enjoys the anime without having to worry about missing what's going on and still gets a break when trying to listen to the raws later since he already knows what's coming.
>>
>>135805110
It's not the case of feeling shame for me, but rather being afraid of the frustration I will feel once I start putting in effort only to see myself getting no returns due to everything going over my head. Nothing is more frustrating than trying hard and genuinely wanting to learn something only to realise your effort was for nothing after applying what you were learning into practice and being completely stumped.
>>
>>135805322
This is where I'm at. Some people just can't learn certain things.
>>
>>135805322
>tfw skipped all that thanks to watching lots of anime before even trying to learn anything
>>
>>135801043
It doesn't matter if the "meme" annoys you because it's accurate. Tae Kim's grammar guide IS subpar and beginners will be confidently progressing much more efficiently if they were suggested to read Japanese: The Manga Way and watch the video lessons at the Washington university visualizing japanese grammar website, then reviewing with the DoJG Anki deck.
That is a far more practical approach that covers the poor explanations and gaps in the grammar guide at guidetojapanese.org.
>>
>>135805322
You gotta do your best and believe your efforts will pay off. The payoff won't come right away, it will take a lot of listening practice until you can get somewhere, but you can't give up just like that. This >>135805352 kind of attitude is the only thing stopping you from getting better. I'm not even trying to be a positive guy or anything. I just really believe any moron will eventually get used to and feel comfortable with listening after enough practice. It's just a matter of having the will to push through.

Also, don't feel the need to watch something like you normally would. I'd often take over an hour to watch something raw because I'd keep rewinding the video trying to understand what people were saying and looking up words. It's much more efficient to do it this way.
>>
>>135805527
>I'd often take over an hour to watch something raw because
And by something I mean a 24 minute episode of course. It wouldn't be strange to take over an hour to watch a 2 hour long movie.
>>
>>135805525
That's just wrong. Tae Kim is a fine introductory guide. Not sufficient, but more comprehensive than JtMW and those other sources you mentioned. If you don't like Tae Kim that's fine, but it works for a lot of people and it's pretty efficient too. I'm not saying he's god almighty and the only road to Japanese, but it's certainly a reliable road.
>>
Rare kanji for you kanji memers. 㰷
>>
>>135805777
>kanji
>>
>tfw realizing you haven't interrupted your reading for nearly a whole volume

Making it.
>>
>>135805777
>㰷
So rare not even japanese speakers know it. Good job.
>>
>>135805909
>realizes you haven't interrupted your reading for nearly a whole volume
>interrupt your reading to blogpost on DJT
And now you blew it.
>>
>>135806012
And mildly simple to boot.
>>
How much time do you guys dedicate to Reading/listening practicing kanji, and anki per day or week?
>>
>>135806241
15 minutes. Everyday.
>>
>>135805777
>pepe
I giggled.
>>
>>135806241
I stopped having a schedule a long time ago. I guess you could say I do a minimum of 30 minutes a day which is roughly the amount of time I spend on anki.
>>
>>135804770
What the hell is intermediate hell? What are the requirements? I've been learning for two years now and I still feel like I'm in beginner hell. My vocab is probably at 1500, I know 1000 kanji. But when I turn on an anime or try to read something with long sentences I can't understand a damn thing.
>>
1. 橋本が言っていたけど、中島さんは踊らないって。According to Hashimoto, Mr. Nakashima is not going to dance.

Who is talking? Is it Nakashima who said that he isnt going to dance, then Hashimoto said it to the reader? The って particle at the end.
>who is it quoting?

2. 休みの内によく寝ておきます。I'll sleep a lot during the vacation.

おきます generally means "left as such"? Help me make sense of this translation.

3. 子供が学校に行っている内に本を読みます。I read books while my child is away at school.

Why isnt it the kids that are reading the book? Is it the が particle and not a は particle the reason? Doesnt the 行っている mean while they are heading for school? Isn't reading while walking dangerous?
>>
>Minikreisverkehr.jpg

「行」字は複数の字音をもつ、いわゆる多音字であり、『康熙字典』など伝統的な字書では「道を歩く・行く」の意味を最初に掲載している。しかしながら、甲骨文字など古文字を見ると、「行」字は十字路の形に象っており、「道路」の意味が本義で「歩く・行く」の意味は引伸義と考えられる。

Cool fucking stuff.
>>
>>135806813
Copy paste fail, sorry.
>>
>>135806750
>My vocab is probably at 1500
>I know 1000 kanji
And you're still wondering why you can't understand shit? You'll be in intermediate hell once you can generally read shit but you never stop running into words you don't know and less frequently, but still very often, into kanji you don't know.

Also, those numbers are very low for 2 years. You should start putting in a little bit more effort.
>>
>>135806750
>two years now
>vocab at 1500
>1000 kanji

A fellow wanikani subscriber :^)
>>
>>135806241
14 hours a day for two weeks now and I'm still at the same level. Sure I know about 500 more words but the words are endless.
>>
>>135806778
おく when added to a verb turns into "I plan on doing x"
>>
>>135806904
Yea I've been off and on. I only really study during breaks in school. But now I'm gonna try to keep it up through the semester. Need to succeed this time to impress my Japanese friend.

>>135806959
Can we stop meming for once? Why does that shit need to mentioned in every other post.
>>
>>135806241
Summer vacation right now.

I get up, read, eat, and give myself an hour of 4chan a day before going back to sleep.

Before starting the next term I'd like to increase my vocab by at least 10,000 words.
>>
>>135807106
No, it means to do something in preparation, or in advance, among other meanings.
>>
How can I correct the 'days studied' statistic so that it starts when I actually started the deck?
>>
>>135806750
Intermediate hell is when you see no noticeable improvement in your grasp of the language no matter how much effort you put in. The improvement is there it's just not noticeable compared to the huge mountain you need to climb.

A beginner will feel like a fucking hero after the first volume of manga. Someone in intermediate hell can finish 10 VNs and still feel no closer to fluency
>>
>usual pattern
>try to read without a crutch
>scenario A: you struggle through and continue
>scenario B: there's something that you don't know, so you plug it into an aide, like Rikai
>sometimes, when you're really tired, you just jump straight to scenario B, which can turn into a glorified machine translation if you're not careful

>scenario C occurs: you read it intuitively without really giving it any thought
>mind reacts like you've just used a glorified machine translation, because it was zero effort
>think for a split second that you need to remove the crutch and focus on the real text
>you were focusing on the real text
>>
>>135798331
Download Genki 1 and do it all, one chapter a week will be a good pace afer hitting chapter 3
Write Kanji all the fucking time but Grammar at the beginning of each chapter is just as important. READ IT, and TEST YOURSELF!
If there is anything you do wrong after checking your answers, read more and redo till its 100% correct 100% of the time
Thats what I did at least
>>
988 reviews. I haven't touched anki in about two months. Luckily a lot of cards still haven't shown up for review because they'd been that mature. Since anki only shows 1000+ due I assumed I'd have over 3000 reviews waiting for me. Then I did twenty or so and I was pleasantly surprised. This is pretty doable.
>>
>>135807661
IN YOUR MOTHERFUCKING NOTEBOOK
>>
>I "know" x amount of kanji.
Getting sick of this meme. How do you define "knowing" a kanji you sick fuck?
>>
>>135807267
>10VNs and still feel no closer to fluency
Welp might as well kill myself right now and I hope come back as a Japanese person because this life ain't worth shit right now.
>>
>>135807828
stale bait, finding something new.
>>
>>135807876
It's true whether you want to admit it or not, I don't really care.
>>
>>135807833
He only talked about the dark side of intermediate hell. The bright side is that most of the content that you might take an interesting is pretty accessible to you. It's not as if you're just working for the day when it's all going to pay off. You're enjoying the pay off then and there as you work.
>>
File: 1441046231714.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1441046231714.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
Hello all,

When applying the discount code "wanikani heart textfugu" on a year subscription on Wanikani, it brings the total down to $50 for a year. However, it also has a category labeled "Good for" with "forever" being the value. What exactly does this indicate? Does it mean that in 1 year, should I decide to renew, that it will again be priced at $50 for a year?

Thanks!
>>
>>135807876
make it quick, bud :)
>>
>>135807828
I guess by it being mature in anki or whatever srs you use.
>>
>>135807727
Exactly
That guy is actually good fucking inspiration for WRITING IT DOWN
>>
>>135807948
>might take an interesting
take an interest in*
>>
>>135807953
It'd be $60 for a year wouldn't it? The discount only applies to monthly subscription.
>>
>>135808003
I wouldn't call knowing vocab knowing kanji.
>>
>>135807953
Yeah, man. Just get it.
>>
>>135807828
When I say I know x kanji I mean it as recognizing, having an idea of their meaning and knowing at least one word with it.
>>
>>135808074
I agree but I have a kanji deck because I use the WK deck.
>>
>>135807497
this so much

i found myself reading some text and not needing to internally translate it into english to make sense of it.

shit sneaks up on you. i thought reading with rikai (w/anki reviews after) would turn me into a rikaibot but it actually works.
>>
>>135807106
>>135807219
>http://libweb.nagoya-wu.ac.jp/kiyo/kiyo51/jinbun/kojin/20yamamoto.pdf
Here's a pretty extensive description of all the different おく usages. Even if you don't feel like reading the whole thing you can benefit from looking at the example sentances and the surrounding comments.
>>
Can someone make a 2k/6k deck without the katakana words? Most of the time they are easily guessable or via context easy to learn.

Its a fucking waste of time.
>>
>>135808276
Hit @ on them then you stupid fuck.
>>
>>135800112
>robitussin
Delsym tastse better
>>
>>135808276
Good luck guessing パンク is puncture then.
>>
>>135808310
i generally hit del but meh
>>
>>135808450
>meh
>>>/r/eddit
>>
Is there a difference between ても and てでも?
>>
>>135808641
Yes. The former means even if while the latter means something like even by doing, or well, that's usually how I see it used.
>>
>>135808692
Thanks.
>>
File: [email protected] (512KB, 685x3205px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2016-01-07@18-34-19.png
512KB, 685x3205px
>>
>>135808312
Lasts too god damn long though and doesn't get you high enough
>>
>>135806778
>3. 子供が学校に行っている内に本を読みます。I read books while my child is away at school.

Why isnt it the kids that are reading the book? Is it the が particle and not a は particle the reason? Doesnt the 行っている mean while they are heading for school? Isn't reading while walking dangerous?

Reading this quick jsut going before bed, I'd say it is because は not being present and therefore the topic of the sentece defaults to what is implied, which is often and in this case, the person saying this.
>(私は)
This being implied
>子供が学校に行っている
The kids are heading to school (right now)
>内に本を読みます。
内here means "my home", can also mean "my family" or even "me" when used by kawaii gals
本を読みます=read book

Im sure you already knew this not sure why I wrote it, fuck

Basically, が is not replacing は as a particle, the topic (which は is used to point to) is implied in this sentence. Get used to this, as whoever and what you are talking about will almost always be implied as long as the topic does not change. And coincidentally: just blurting out 「本を読みます」implies that YOU (the person saying it) does/will do so... And if it was a question it would be implied the reciever of the question is the implied topic, and yada yada yada...

Sorry that became long
>>
>>135809479
Also fuck, correct me if I'm even slighty wrong anyone. I hate to give out wrong information cause my brain can't think, and I suck at teaching
>>
>>135809479
>The kids are heading to school (right now)
The kids are at school.
>>
>950 learned
>100 buried
"SUSPEND YOUR LEECHES" they said.
>>
>>135809479
FUCK I MISSED THE 内
>>
File: fwr_3r.gif (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fwr_3r.gif
51KB, 640x480px
What are some games which you played in Japanese? It might not help my studies all that much, but it's cute.
>>
>>135810325
I play Japanese MMOs.
>>
>>135810158
Don't think of the 内 as meaning "me" in this case though. It most certainly means "at home" in this case
>>
>>135810325
YGO Tag Force Special
A nice mix of Hira, Kata and Kanji (being used honestly and as a chuuni LN would)
>>
>>135810143
"Raise your leech threshhold" they said
>>
>>135806241
Anki: 30 minutes. Used to be 60 but I'm never going that high again I hope.
Reading: At least 15 minutes lately. Sometimes several hours. I'd like to get it to at least an hour consistently.
Listening: Nothing really, but I'm trying to listen more when I watch subbed anime.
Writing/Speaking: None.
>>
File: 1437760543704.png (198KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1437760543704.png
198KB, 550x535px
>>135810431
>>135810158
What are they doing
>>
>>135810542
Learning.
>>
>>135810325
Tokyo Xanadu. Kinda meh, wouldn't really recommend all that much.
>>
File: 1450995132347.png (146KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
1450995132347.png
146KB, 500x560px
>>135810542
>>
>>135809479
内に means "while" or "during" in this case, indicating the span of their being at school. うちに when referring to one's home or family is much more often written 家に if written in kanji.

As >>135809702 said, the 行っている means they went, and are currently there.
>>
>>135810731
Thanks anon
>>
>>135810724
nice pic ill steal it i think
>>
>>135810415
Any good ones that don't require you to play through a VPN?
>>
>>135810936

PSO2.

Not that guy.
>>
>>135810983
Is it still as grindy as it was during the first month after launch? I hit max level and quit soon after, took fucking forever to get some of the quests done or level
>>
File: 34719789.jpg (653KB, 1056x1920px) Image search: [Google]
34719789.jpg
653KB, 1056x1920px
So now equipped with my glorified rubber domes, I've made a small amount of progress on the guide, but I've also reached one of the most crucial parts (one of the reasons why I even decided to write a new one): Learning Kanji (vs. Learning Kanji through vocab)

I'd be glad to get some feedback on that part since I'm not really sure if it's extensive enough or even comprehensible.

You'll find it towards the end of the document, as always, feel free to comment right here or in the document. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>135809363
Really? the 3 times ive done it ive gotten to the point of laying flat on the floor and focusing on not dieing
I will agree on how long it lasts
>>
>>135806241

Core 6k: 30-60 minutes
Reading: 15 minutes to 5 hours
Listening: Just what I get from subbed anime, for the most part. I'm not going to pour a lot of effort into listening until my vocabulary passes the 10k mark.
Writing: Just started production practice yesterday, so it's too early to say
>>
変な音がしたなと、外に出てみたが、何でもなかった。

What is なと.
>>
>>135797438
>>135801674
What the fuck are these images? I don't get it
>>
Oh fuck my leg feel completely asleep

This is it for me guys it's been fun
>>
File: asdfgsdffawe.png (164KB, 336x506px) Image search: [Google]
asdfgsdffawe.png
164KB, 336x506px
>>135811537
>>
Why is Anki so boring?
Why can't it be fun like Wanikai?
>>
>>135811630
Free open source shit will stay shit
>>
>>135811189

I only started a month or two ago and I've almost maxed two classes. I haven't been playing much at all recently though because I've been studying and watching anime. I don't know what shit they added since launch but it seems to be pretty tame as far as grinding goes though it is an MMO at the end of the day.
>>
So I noticed something today after my reps.

Both the "Nihongoshark" and "Japanese Dark" systems advocate placing furigana (and even audio) on the front of vocab cards, with only the english definition and example sentence on the back.

What are the drawbacks of this, vs. the "only kanji on the front" default method of Core?

Could it be that it's a better way? What do you think, /djt/?
>>
>>135811755
You won't be able to watch anime.
>>
>>135811755
Benefits:
You get a higher percentage of correct cards.
Negatives:
You don't learn any kanji.
>>
>>135811907
Matching pronunciation to meaning would hurt your ability to watch anime?
>>
>>135811329
>laying flat on the floor and focusing on not dieing
>3 times

Druggies are the stupidest people. I hope you overdose.
>>
>>135811992
Read more.
>>
File: imouto.jpg (28KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
imouto.jpg
28KB, 600x337px
>>135811516
>と、
「変な音がしたな」と、~
>>
>>135812039
I read a chapter of LN before I did my reps and then was reading up on study techniques a bit. I'm serious here so please answer seriously.
>>
>>135812204
what is the na doing there
>>
>>135812363
語尾
>>
File: fun.gif (1MB, 278x149px) Image search: [Google]
fun.gif
1MB, 278x149px
If I start studying like, right now...
How long will it take me to reach, say, N5-level proficiency?
>>
>>135812401
A week or two?
>>
>>135812401
If you stay up, maybe a day.
>>
>>135812401
Depends on how much anime you have watched. You might be N5 level already
>>
File: switcher.png (42KB, 241x434px) Image search: [Google]
switcher.png
42KB, 241x434px
Setting up IME on OS X.

Really like how it shows hiragana and katakana in-line with my other languages.

Is there a difference between standard QWERTY (U.S. in pic related) and Romaji? Would it make sense to disable either U.S. or Romaji in the settings? Would that affect things like spell-checking when I am writing in English?
>>
>>135812214
I imagine it'll make doing your reps and reading material with furigana easier, while making reading material without furigana more difficult. Reading material with furigana is pretty painless to begin with so that's not what I would focus my attention on.
>>
>>135812530
US is non-ime, romaji/fullwidth are both still IME
>>
>>135812431
>>135812432
>>135812496
I knew it was the lowest of the low, buy I never thought it was that low.
>>
>>135812530
Romaji uses a different encoding. They're English characters, but use the same spacing as full-width kanji.

I just disable Romaji in my settings. Saves headaches with encoding.
>>
>>135812626
It's not THAT low, but it's pretty low. Like, Japanese 101.
>>
File: fdff.png (28KB, 328x174px) Image search: [Google]
fdff.png
28KB, 328x174px
>>135812626
Pic's my JCAT after doing literally nothing but english-subbed anime for a year, then starting to "learn" japanese and failing very miserably.
>>
>>135812626

I accidentally brushed shoulders with a Japanese person once and the next day I could pass the N5.
>>
File: imouto.jpg (358KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
imouto.jpg
358KB, 960x544px
>>135812363
日本語の大きな傾向として「長ければ長いほど意味が弱まる」よ。おにいちゃん

音がした
音がしたな
音がしたなあ
音がしたかもな
音がしたかもなあ
音がしたかもしれない
音がしたかもしれないな
音がしたかもしれないなあ
音がしたのかもしれないかなあ
>>
>watched first season of Soukyuu no Fafner
>it was kinda boring so hardly paid attention and just shitposted on 4chan
Is the movie or the sequel any better or should I just not bother?
>>
>>135812814
I accidentally watched the first episode of the sequel series to the movie.

It's pretty much exclusively an /m/fag thing.
>>
Would anyone happen to have scans of バッドカンパニー by Tooru Fujisawa? I found it on nyaa but its only going 2kb/s
>>
>>135812616
>>135811917
That makes sense.

Looking at it some more, it seems they provide not just the reading but also the meaning of all kanji on the front as well. Thinking about it, those "systems" also feature RTK-style dedicated kanji study (meaning to kanji), so maybe they believe that will make up for it?
>>
What's THE DJT anime to watch this season?
>>
>>135812775
「意味が弱まる」ってどういう意味?
確実でなくなるってこと?
>>
I was struggling with core 2k because I could remember the meaning of the kanji in english but could'nt spell it. Then i tried wanikani free trial and it does'nt even show me the reading. Am I supposed to just memorize the meaning and go to the next one?
>>
>>135813042
wanikani is retarded and tests meaning/sound separately yet grades them on the same ranking
>>
>>135812720
That's a good reason to keep that shit disabled then, thanks.

Kinda confusing to go from two keyboard layouts to 5, not to mention actually typing kana.

but on the bright side i can have the meme letters now.
>>
>>135813009
The top item of your backlog pile.
>>
>>135812363
exclamation
>>
>>135813042
Aren't you still on the radical section? On each level you have to pass the radical section before advancing to the kanji section, which you have to pass to advance to the vocabulary section.
>>
>>135813028
せやな
>>
>>135813083
I don't have a backlog. I don't usually watch animays. Actually I'm fine with DJT anime from previous seasons as well.
>>
>>135813070
>>135813105
Thanks. Guess i just have to study more then.
>>
What's the best way to practice numbers? I've got them down for the most part, but it takes me a few seconds of thinking before reading out longer numbers.
>>
>>135813214
Please don't actually stick with WK, it might be tempting at first but at the end of the day you're going to have just as many reviews as core but be going slower because its SRS system is worse.
>>
>>135813234
Just be yourself.
>>
>>135813131
せやなのかもしれへんなあ
>>
>>135813180
The just watch EVA.

There's no DJT anime because DJT doesn't talk about anime.
>>
>>135813266
>せやなの
anon what have you done
>>
>>135813234
Do something that forces you to use a lot of numbers. Try doing math in Japanese. Try telling the time in Japanese every time you look at the clock. Try saying every number you run across in Japanese, even if it's just in your head.
>>
WK is decent, just use the deck. I don't understand you people.
>>
Motivation Lost! I have been working on Japanese for 3 years. Only about 30 minutes per day. I took the JLPT N5 last year and failed. I recently starting taking practice tests for the N5, and I have been doing just as poorly, so it seems like I will fail again. My motivation has completely left me. I feel like I haven't made any progress, even though I had a great trip to Japan where people actually talked to me in Japanese. I was hoping some of you would be willing to share stories of your own pain and redemption along the path of fluency. Advice would be most welcome too.
>>
File: imouto.jpg (416KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
imouto.jpg
416KB, 1024x768px
>>135813266
せやろか。なんやそやおまへんのかもとおもうて
>>
>>135813254
ok. using wanikani for me is terrible because my phone's internet is shit so wanikani is too slow. I will continue using anki. thanks.
>>
>>135813406
Imagine it's a cute kansai loli with a speech quirk and it's all good.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0f55lv0Lpzx
>>
Anyone who's done pure self-studying for a while here?

I'm thinking about starting but I don't know how successful I can get by myself. Don't really know anyone to practice with.

I took Jap 1 for fun a couple years ago but only know half my kana now. Any tips not on the stick links?
>>
Is it just me or are there more new people than normal
>>
>>135813721
You can read manga and VNs through self study. Well, the lower difficulty ones anyway. For speaking, writing and listening comprehension you're going to need a teacher.
>>
>>135813816
Community colleges started their Winter quarter this week.
>>
File: oikk-132.jpg (120KB, 820x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oikk-132.jpg
120KB, 820x1200px
>>135813472
Can you read in Japanese? I mean. If I gave you a baby tier LN like Oreimo would you be able to just sit down, follow the text and understand what's happening? Even if you came across many unfamiliar words here and there and maybe had to check the dictionary occasionally, would you be able to just look at the text and read it?

If the answer is no. What the hell have you been doing these three years? I wouldn't tell you to give up because you've clearly been doing something wrong, which means you still have a chance if you start doing things right.
>>
I tried reading a vn but it just made me feel terrible as it kept throwing words I didn't understand at me.
>>
>>135813721
>Anyone who's done pure self-studying for a while here?
I suspect the majority have.
>I'm thinking about starting but I don't know how successful I can get by myself.
As successful as you care to get. Learning langauges isn't difficult, it's just a matter of putting enough time in to get used to them.

t. LingoSteve
>>
>>135813920
That's how it's going to be for a very long time. Better get used to it.
>>
>>135813234
1. Google for a random number generator
2. Generate random number
3. Read it
4. Repeat
>>
File: 1427098566266.jpg (459KB, 1944x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1427098566266.jpg
459KB, 1944x1296px
>>
僕はトムにメアリーに電話された。

Tom called Mary (and I was unhappy).

I fail to see where "I" plays into this at all.
>>
>>135814289
靄とか朧という表現をつかってもいいとおもうよ
>>
>>135814452
あなたを使ってもいいですか?~~
>>
>>135814334
>子供が泣く
>僕が困る
>僕は子供に泣かれた

>嫁が逃げる
>僕が困る
>僕は嫁に逃げられた

>トムがメアリに電話をする
>僕が困る
>僕はトムにメアリーに電話された。
>>
>>135814545
So its implicit that you are bothered?

It says no such thing in the acutal sentence.
>>
>>135814452
そっか。ありがたい!
>>
>>135814632
It's implicit that you had no choice, and since you had no choice you must've been bothered by it because otherwise you would've structured your sentence in such a way that didn't include you.

You have to realize that out of all the possible ways to say tom called maria, that sentence specifically makes light of the fact that you weren't involved in the action, and why would you do that if not for your annoyance/lack of control?

The japanese are vague bastards, that sentence structure is the closest you can get to saying you're pissed off while not offending anyone directly.
>>
>>135814694
>>135814502
Fuck off. Use American to communicate on American image boards.
>>
>>135814452
霧はダメか
>>
Do you guys use standard IME shortcuts or do you change them?
>>
File: 1425094355700.jpg (34KB, 300x328px) Image search: [Google]
1425094355700.jpg
34KB, 300x328px
>>135814802
>>
>>135814773
But why does it have to mean that you're bothered
>>
>>135814802
あなたバカ?
>>
>>135814802
断るですわ
>>
>>135814908
Because that's how people use it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (355KB, 1024x597px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
355KB, 1024x597px
What order am I suppose to do?
>>
File: boats.png (236KB, 855x341px) Image search: [Google]
boats.png
236KB, 855x341px
Feels great.
>>
>>135815185
Left to right is how I'd fuck.
>>
>>135815402

I'd fuck center and camera the rest are whatever.
>>
>>135815365
>naked
>they're all half dressed
>>
>>135815494
The only get naked inside the book. Why would people buy it otherwise?
>>
>>135815185

>asking other people what order to do the routes in

Fucking stupid. It pretty much never matters. You need to do all routes to get the complete story, anyways.

>>135815402

Blonde (as usual) > Flower hairpin > Ponytail > Redhead > the other two
>>
>>135815471
We can agree that the two right ones aren't worth wasting time on at least. Center has bedroom eyes but I'd still go 1 3 2 4.
>>
File: imouto.jpg (140KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
imouto.jpg
140KB, 480x800px
>>135814810
霧もつかえるよ。霧を使うときは
朝か夜か夕方か、いつの霧なのかをなんとなく付けて使いたい気はするよ。

3つとも全部、連濁する(ぎり発音)
>朝霧
>夕霧
>夜霧
>>
>>135815572
Hey imouto, which 2d cutie would you fuck first? >>135815185
>>
>>135815572
そうか
ありがとうございます、参考になりました
>>
>>135815549
The problem is that I'm having a hard time choosing who to fuck first so it's easier to just let someone else choose for me.
>>
>>135813180
DJT mainly discusses visual novels, second is manga. I don't know when I last saw a discussion about anime here.
>>
>>135815623
>fucking 2d cuties
You've got it all wrong, anon!
>>
>>135815677
If that's the problem: https://www.random.org/
>>
>>135815185
1, 6, 3, 4, 5, 2 is how I would do them, based solely on that picture.
>>
Why do I have to be born on this third world country called America.

恨むぞ, 運命よ!
>>
>>135816397
People who sincerely believe this piss me off because the standard of living here is quite high, at least show some respect to the billions born off worse by not cursing, what, poor health care? Be glad you're born in a country that even has function hospitals, holy crap.
>>
>kana/gana to English
>gana to Kanji
Will the JLPT test me on this? I'm fine with everything else, but these 2 sections just seem ambiguous.
>>
>>135815185
1. Befriend
2. Hire as maid
3. Befriend
4. Adopt
5. Marry
6. Marry
>>
>>135816532
>Adopt
i thought this was taboo or is that only corea
>>
>>135808238

What's baffling are those people who use machine translation routinely, but don't take the extra step to just learn Japanese. I've literally seen people in the VN threads on /vg/ brag about their machine translating skills.

It's like "You realize that what you do all the time is literally almost all that you have to do to learn Japanese, right? Just spend a month getting through kana and Tae Kim, and put a bit of effort into remembering what you see." I mean, you really should be using anki, but just using a text hooker properly will get you there eventually.
>>
>>135816569
The japanese are famous for adopting 50 year old businessmen into their families, truly a model of tolerance.
>>
File: 1445592636289.jpg (54KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
1445592636289.jpg
54KB, 800x567px
この麒麟は木鼠が大好きそうなんだわ
>>
>>135816603
If you look through their bragging veneer you'll see the truth. Firstly, they don't know any kanji, and that's always the big obstacle to someone starting Japanese. Secondly, the tend to just look at translated english in the texthooker, so it's not like they're looking up words. Thirdly, most of the bragging comes from knowing some sex words like イク, ちんぽ, まんこ, etc. and thereby being able to navigate through sex scenes without needing a texthooker.

It's doubtlessly faaaaar less work to stick to something like that than to seriously tackle Japanese.
>>
>>135815185
Judging based on appearance alone and what I think their personalities will be based on appearance:

Blue > Black > Red > Pink > Blonde > Orange
>>
>>135816495
>gana
>kana to English
What? You're taking the N5 aren't you?
>>
File: yes.jpg (75KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
75KB, 400x300px
>>135816692
>Thirdly, most of the bragging comes from knowing some sex words like イク, ちんぽ, まんこ, etc
>>
>>135816693
Slightly colorblind but I think I know who you're referring to.
Blue is the worst because she's a reiclone aka she speaks like an idiot if she speaks at all. completely ridiculous considering she was marketed as the main heroine.
Black is indeed the best heroine, tied with Blonde.
Red is kind of unusual, she's basically a delinquent character who's not hostile. I put her in the middle too.
Pink is obsessed with taking photographs but her energy is nice. Seeing her excess genki in a relationship was nice.
Blonde is tied for best girl, she's a motherly senpai and has god-tier sex scenes and dere. Black is the only one who's better at dere.
Orange... eh. She's boring, that's all there is to say on the matter. Childhood friend, nice swimsuit, nothing really interesting.
>>
>>135816718
Yea, the practice test had a section on it. One question wanted the English equivalent of いく and a few questions later it wanted the English equivalent of ゆく.

I originally thought いく = live, because ゆく = to go. Turns out they both were supposed to be "to go".
>>
>>135816465
>because the standard of living here is quite high

Another brainwashed faggot who believes what the media says.
>>
File: facesitting.webm (2MB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
facesitting.webm
2MB, 406x720px
>>135816678
そうですね。

この猫は大人しいですね。仲良くしていると思います。
>>
>>135817035
Electricity - check
Internet - check
Can leave home without fear of death - check
Zero chance of starving due to prevalence of soup kitchens and food in general - check

Passes all my checks
>>
Do I hit good if I know the kanji and the furigana? Or do I just hit good for the furigana? I feel like I'm skewing my results.
>>
>>135816692
But do they know these?

秘所
秘裂
秘苑
花弁
肉ビラ
肉門
恥部
陰裂
隠唇
縦溝
局部
>>
>>135816692

Machine translations are miserable, though. It's like drinking rum into you pass out (minus the deliciousness and the pleasure of being drunk), sleeping just long enough to become severely hungover, and then trying to engage in some sort of mentally challenging task. You're stumbling blindly through a fog-covered forest with a massive heachache, trying think of how to move forward without having the mental faculties to do so.

Kanji can be learned from the text hooker method. Again, you just need to pay attention.

When talking about the net sum of effort and enjoyment, learning Japanese is undoubtedly more cost-efficient. It's more work in the beginning, but as you approach maybe 1k kanji and 2k words, the ease will begin to overtake the effort, and it'll only improve from there. This isn't even accounting for the satisfaction of increasing your knowledge in the language.
>>
>>135817084
Im not making any claims that Japan is better, and I dont dismiss the importance of gratefulness, but if you can't look for better things and strive for it then I dont know what to say.
>>
>>135816889
Sorry for being unnecessarily rude to you.
The JLPT N5 doesn't have sections like that, it has vocab, grammar and listening. Whether or not you get the vocab words served as english, kanji or kana is pretty random.

The いく、ゆく thing: Don't overthink it. Look at the context of the question. If you look at the practice tests here, there really shouldn't be a question where the meaning is ambiguous. http://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/n5.html
>>
>>135817084
>america
>Can leave home without fear of death - check
top kek m8
>>
>>135817084

You mean almost any country as long as you aren't born in the lowest of low poor family?

It's 2016 already.
>>
>>135817105
Sure, but you're underestimating how far people will go to expend 0 effort on something even if it makes their lives shittier.
Even if they paying attention starting now it would still be like a year, probably two / three years before they could read comfortably without assistance. That's too long for them.
>>
>>135817156
He didn't say anything not wanting improvement. It's just yourwith third world countries is ridiculous. Your standards of living are comparatively some of the best in the world.
>>
>>135817101
Where did you even find those? I only know half of them.
>>
>>135817184
The middle east, africa, parts of Asia, and some degree South America are not like that.
>>
>>135817231
No, the other countries are just comparatively bad.
>>
>>135817320

I said country, not jungle.
The next thing you'll gonna say to me is black lives matters.
>>
>Basicly no point for learning japanese now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ngM0LHxuU
>>
Has anyone else been using loadbalancer and notice their mature retention rate dropping? I've been using it for around two months and my mature retention rate has plummeted a little over 10%. I'm thinking it might be maturing cards too fast. Pressing hard doesn't seem to space them that far from good.
>>
>>135817267
I decided to play through the その花弁 series and I started taking notes towards the end of game 2. Just started game 4. For some reason I skipped taking notes regarding 珠玉 but that collection starts now!
>>
>>135817530
Huh, I even thought you went to jisho and just searched up those words. I haven't seen half of them and I read a lot of porn.
>>
>>135817410

You can see the fear in their eyes.
Fucking gaijins.
>>
>>135817586
Got kisses, don't matter. How much for this thing?
>>
File: keep out.webm (88KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
keep out.webm
88KB, 720x404px
anyone else here /devo/ from 600 usd gold shekels for my VR waifu® laifu™
>>
>>135817402
You need to go look at a population heat map, friendo.
>>
>>135817610
>don't matter

And this is why you can never learn Japanese.
>>
>>135817611
>buying gen 1 VR
I'll just wait for gen 2 or 3 and get it for half the price at higher resolution/frame rate and a bunch of new tech

Or get one of the other VR headsets when they are all released
>>
>>135817733
EFLs, am I right?
>>
File: 1452086131772.png (219KB, 370x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452086131772.png
219KB, 370x480px
>>135817759
>he thinks they'll be a gen2 with this launch price
>>
File: janai.png (988KB, 1200x1131px) Image search: [Google]
janai.png
988KB, 1200x1131px
>>135817894
>>
>>135817410
>no more language barrier
You can translate but that's no substitute for cultural knowledge. But for that you'd need to be educated which this creepy faggot clearly isn't.
>>135817586
I wonder how many shots were edited out of them running away and looking disgusted.
>>
>>135818009
its ok they might sell to the simulator crowd or the plebs that rushed out and bought tablets

incidentally i just past 大丈夫 in anki the other day and read that without thinking, creepy
>>
>>135817410
日本で日本人を奴隷扱いしても撃たれないからね

同じことをアメリカでやったら撃たれているでしょうに
>>
>>135817410
How fake is this?
>>
>>135818111
You've got to be pretty dumb to not realise this is blatantly scripted and fake.
>>
Holy crap, 3月のライオン is hard as nails to read.
>>
File: WaniKani.jpg (175KB, 799x668px) Image search: [Google]
WaniKani.jpg
175KB, 799x668px
Remember that a dose of WaniKani a day will keep dekinai in check.
>>
File: 1450374598354.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1450374598354.png
226KB, 468x345px
>1 month ago
>"Gee, I wish the RTK shitposting would stop."
>1 month later
>RTK shitposting has mostly stopped
>Wanikani shitposting/shilling is at an all time high

Be careful what you wish for.
>>
>>135818335
Either they've single-handedly created true neural network AIs and miniaturised them into pocket form, or it's a glorified Google translate combined with Siri style voice recognition and a voice synthesiser, something you could whip up as an app for your phone in about 5 minutes.

The translations are completely fake. There's absolutely no way you could get something like that in this day and age. There's a small chance they didn't just hire some girls to act amazed while a man with a Go-pro strapped to his head pretended to talk to them.

Given how they didn't react at all to the guy saying "kiss", and then flipped out about "キッス" 2 seconds later, I'd guess it's totally fake.
>>
>>135818495
Remember that a dose of report a day will keep WaniKani in check.
>>
>>135818571
WaniKani is by far the best method out there, so no.
>>
>>135818496
>RTK is useless
>WaniKani is useful
This is key
>>
File: [email protected] (432KB, 703x2677px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2016-01-08@11-22-25.png
432KB, 703x2677px
So, I've started Core 2k/6k a month ago but I have some question about anki:

1. What does review limit 9999 do?
2. Should I use the 'review ahead' options?
3. Is cramming bad for long-term memory?
4. What is loadbalancer and what does it do?
>>
>>135818832
1 - stops reviews from being limited to 100. In short, you do ALL the cards you need to WHEN you need to, instead of pushing them off and accumulating a ton of work you'll never be able to finish.
2- No. If you want to do more work, do "review forgotten cards" - it'll improve your retention for the next few days and target words you struggled on.
3 - Debatable.
4 - Ignore it, if you don't quit anki and build up 20000 reviews, which of course is a huge fuck up, it's irrelevant to you.
>>
>>135818832
>1. What does review limit 9999 do?
Increases the amount of reviews you can do per day to 9999
>2. Should I use the 'review ahead' options?
If you want to
>3. Is cramming bad for long-term memory?
Not really
>4. What is loadbalancer and what does it do?
Useless addon to anki. Moves reviews around so you don't sometimes get days where you have 50 more reviews than usual
>>
File: 1314759540984.jpg (69KB, 704x792px) Image search: [Google]
1314759540984.jpg
69KB, 704x792px
>>135818832
>1. What does review limit 9999 do?
your cards will pile up based on how you set the time in anki (again, hard, good) and won't pile up over time if you complete the deck. this helps retention immensely.

generally, expect a little over 10 times the amount of new cards per day in reviews.
>2. Should I use the 'review ahead' options?
no.
>3. Is cramming bad for long-term memory?
generally.
>4. What is loadbalancer and what does it do?
it supposedly eases the load of anki decks. i personally have had very bad luck (>>135817480) with it with regards to my retention. don't use it.
>>
>>135818832
>Is cramming bad for long-term memory?

It all depends on the quality of the time you are spending.
>>
>>135819457
>>135819367
>>135819281
>>135819248
Ah, okay, thanks guys
>>
Anon who has done Mayuri, Amane, Kururi and Sakurako's routes here.

I read Yui's entire route today. It took a lot of focus, but somehow I managed it. It was a pretty good route and I definitely see why it's recommended to save for last. I think if I liked Yui more and Sakurako's route didn't resonate so strongly with me then it would've been my favorite route so far. It also confirmed a couple more of my theories and is beginning to tie up the story/mystery, but there are still some questions left unanswered. Onto Suzuno's route tomorrow. Looks like I'll be able to finish Flyable Heart tomorrow or the day after.
>>
File: 1413776496757.png (60KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1413776496757.png
60KB, 229x173px
>>135813472
>Only about 30 minutes per day.
Here's an interesting idea: have you considered doing more than that?
>>
File: nani.png (70KB, 561x534px) Image search: [Google]
nani.png
70KB, 561x534px
Please, someone translate this for me. The manga condition is set as Collectible - Good
【商品の状態】カバーの状態は概ね良好、本体にヤケのある巻もございますが、問題なく読んでいただけますのでご安心してお取り寄せくださいませ。

Google translate says something about wound with burning the body
>>
>>135805668
Tae Kim's guide is in no way more comprehensive than JtMW and VJG. Look up what the word means. Fucking fanboys.

You know the reason why the same collection of basic problems are posted over abd over again? Because people use TK's grammar guide as their only basic resource.

It is a far les reliable road to take than the alternative mentioned. Imabi is better for beginners than TK.
>>
>>135819813
If you can't read that, why would you even buy the manga?
>>
>>135819890
>Imabi is better for beginners than TK.
I hope your mean this as a joke.
>>
>>135819813
It seems to me that it means some volumes have pages yellowed by the sun. If you google images ヤケ you should get an idea.
>>
File: 1447543908520.jpg (69KB, 463x484px) Image search: [Google]
1447543908520.jpg
69KB, 463x484px
>>135819898
It has little to no text and is mostly out of print. Hard to get.
Im learning japanese and someday I will know what is says.
>>
>>135813472

Try actually putting in the work.

Literally the only way to be that bad after three years of study is if you're not putting in a proper effort. A Narutard screaming sand jutsus in his Naruto headband and who looks at raw manga chapters once per week without understanding what's going on could pass the N5. It's basically nothing.

>30 minutes per day

Either you were doing something completely retarded, or I'm calling bullshit. You put in 30 minutes per day twice per week, or you haven't been doing the 30 minutes per day for the entirety of those three years.
>>
File: 51K3wfgzdjL._UL500_.jpg (50KB, 482x500px) Image search: [Google]
51K3wfgzdjL._UL500_.jpg
50KB, 482x500px
>>135819934
Aha. This is the photo attached to it.
>>
>>135819813
>Please, someone translate this for me. The manga condition is set as Collectible - Good
>【商品の状態】カバーの状態は概ね良好、本体にヤケのある巻もございますが、問題なく読んでいただけますのでご安心してお取り寄せくださいませ。
>Google translate says something about wound with burning the body
it says:" The pleasure to be cummed inside"

ok srsly. "The cover is mostly in good condition. There are some volumes with yellowish stain but readable without problems. please rest assured and buy our shit"
>>
ask an /a/non who lives in Japan for more then 3 years anything.
>>
>>135820293
Have you learned Japanese?
>>
>>135820293
did you become a little anime girl yet
>>
>>135820293
Favorite anime?
>>
>>135820293
Can you read a book?
>>
>>135820313
>Have you learned Japanese?
yes. I'm fluent.
>>135820343
>did you become a little anime girl yet
not yet. but the little girl is strong in me.
>>
>>135820452
I've been studying for less than 2 years in my basement and I can read a book
>>
>>135820293
can you take a pic out your window
>>
>>135820503
Yes and? Living in Japan does not mean he will bother learning how to read more than the bare minimum for survival.
>>
>>135820293
X who lives in Japan for more then
〇 who has lived in Japan for more than
英語を学び直せ
>>
File: IMG_1199.jpg (119KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1199.jpg
119KB, 480x640px
>>135820427
>Favorite anime?
Lucky Star
>>135820452
>Can you read a book?
depends on the language
>>135820510
>can you take a pic out your window
>>
>>135820716
>depends on the language
Japanese obviously, don't play games with me.
>>
X Japanese grammar corrections
〇 English grammar corrections
ここをどこと思ってる?
>>
>>135820609
>英語を学び直せ
確かに
>>
>>135820754
>Japanese obviously, don't play games with me.
in that case, yes.
>>
File: 1440143746942.jpg (152KB, 585x599px) Image search: [Google]
1440143746942.jpg
152KB, 585x599px
>>135820716
>Lucky Star
Absolute shit taste.
>>
>>135820951
What books have you read?
>>
>>135819593
Stop reading so fast, you are making me look bad.
>>
ただいまお兄ちゃん!
>>
>>135821252
I have trouble telling you two apart so don't worry about it. By this point I forgot who's been at it for a whole year. I guess you since you're going slower now? Haha.
>>
>>135821238
>What books have you read?
dozens and more. I can't remember.
but mostly Sci-fi and fantasy.
Right now I'm reading the last volume of とある飛空士への誓約
>>
>>135821346
おかえりなさい、いもうとたん
お風呂に入ろう?
>>
>>135821471
それとも
。。。
お・こ・め?
>>
>>135821394
I took 11 months, but I finished on Dec 30. So for at least 1-2 more days you can tell us apart.
>>
>>135821489
あ、もちろん。湯におこめを炊くのもできるよ
いくぞ
>>
オレのケツに入ろう、兄貴!
>>
File: 1421013608494.jpg (414KB, 827x1119px) Image search: [Google]
1421013608494.jpg
414KB, 827x1119px
>>135820716
Who is your favorite girl?
>>
>>135820716
thanks for pic

>lucky star

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1452228193746.webm
please support your struggling idols
>>
File: 1372636763902.jpg (220KB, 605x362px) Image search: [Google]
1372636763902.jpg
220KB, 605x362px
I opened a LN and read some of it.
I opened an anime and watched some of it.
I opened a VN and read some of it.
I opened a JRPG and I played some of it.
I didn't struggle.
I think, for the first time in close to two years, I'll spend my day playing video games and just having a good time, instead of studying. Maybe I don't have to study anymore.
>>
File: 1422238634481.jpg (55KB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1422238634481.jpg
55KB, 500x540px
I've recently finished learning all the kana and began reading Tae Kim for the grammar. I'm just sort of wondering what exactly the best way to go about using Anki. Should I just jump right in to the core deck, or should I be using a deck that goes with the book I'm using for grammar? So if anyone has any Anki advice as far as decks go, it'd be really appreciated; I just want a deck I can see through to the end and actually learn alot from and I'm feeling overwhelmed by the options.

(Also, is KanjiDamage actually awful? Because I've seen it being shat on, but I was also considering using their Anki deck along with my main deck if I find I have the time, which I probably won't.)
>>
File: e87b6d8f9db9d666ba22f9810c781d3e.png (621KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
e87b6d8f9db9d666ba22f9810c781d3e.png
621KB, 900x1200px
>>135821903
>Who is your favorite girl?
かがみは俺の嫁だ!
>>
>>135822001
Just use the core6k deck.
>>
>>135822001
i was you about a month ago, wondering what to do with anki
just load up core2/6k from the guide, its fine

in fact it keeps you on track, doing it daily, and TK
>>
>>135821970
おめでとう
いつの日か私はあなたである願っています
>>
>>135822096
>>135822072
Thanks guys, appreciate the guidance.
>>
>>135820761
ここはどこだと思ってるんだろう?
There, ftfy.
>>
>>135822394
I copied "俺を誰だと思ってる"
>>
>>135822237
I wouldn't wish to be me, I can't speak for shit still so I fucked up somewhere along the line.
>>
>>135822458
Well in any case you missed the だ
>>
>>135822237
(私は)あなたのように上手になりたい
Or something like that.
>>
you are wapanese
but you will never be japanese
>>
>>135822548
You are right, I am extremely shameful, I typed it out while listening to
https://youtu.be/LWows_1dOZI?t=232
To make sure I got the quote right. I also forgot the やがる. I did not do a good job. Are you finland?
>>
fuckin rakisuta fag go away
>>
>>135822646
>Are you finland?
Nope, sorry.
>>
>>135822237
間違ってるぞ
>>
>tfw your deck teaches you the kanji for woman before man

This hurts my patriarchy.
>>
>>135822646
The grammar doesn't really make sense to me, anyone wanna take a stab at explaining why it's を?
>>
I'll surely start Anki again next month.
>>
File: 笑顔.png (991KB, 661x812px) Image search: [Google]
笑顔.png
991KB, 661x812px
>>135822646
>Are you finland?
You want something?
>>
>>135822923
Do it now you idiot.

PSA: Ankiweb works on mobile phone browsers as well, there's no need to pay for the iPhone version of the app.
>>
>>135822983
I have somewhat deified you as someone who knows what they're talking about. So when he corrected me and was wrong (to some degree) I thought "has Finland finally snapped and been wrong about something?", but not it was not you. Your legend lives on in my heart for another day.
>>
>>135822827
The woman has to come first, as she's the one who gives birth to the man.
>>
>>135822068
If only she had been this hot in the actual show. It might have even been bearable to watch.
>>
>>135820716

>Lucky Star

Nice patrician taste.
What are you doing on Japan? Work? What work?
>>
File: 1445404502611.png (478KB, 736x528px) Image search: [Google]
1445404502611.png
478KB, 736x528px
>>135823043
I usually just correct simple things I'm 99% sure about. I also never explain grammar since I don't know the grammar rules

I thought about pointing out the だ but got busy shitposting elsewhere
>>
>>135819593
Sakurako over Yui? I've never seen such shit taste. What the fuck is wrong with you? Yui is the most amazing, beautiful, cheerful girl ever, while Sakurako is nice I guess but pretty boring and the first half of her route is crap. Screw you.
>>
>>135823185
>What are you doing on Japan? Work? What work?
I'm a scholarship research student (PhD) at Toudai
>>
Anyone know a site I can read raws online?
I can only find pleb translated sites
>>
>>135823491
Just download them pleb
Online raws are lower resolution and harder to read plus way more spotty and shitty with ads
>>
>>135823491
>Anyone know a site I can read raws online?
nyaatorrents
>>
>>135823546
>nyaatorrents
I cant find what im looking for on nyaa
>>
>>135823491
Someone posted this link a while back, maybe you'll find it interesting.

The VN's there use html5 I think, so you can use rikaichan with them
>>
>>135823657
forgot my link lel
http://tss.asenheim.org/en/
>>
>>135823698

>lel

Is this this 1980s or something?
>>
>>135823610
Are you searching the Japanese name (in Japanese)?
>>
>>135823741
yep
ご注文はうさぎですか?アンソロジーコミック
>>
>>135823721
what are all the kids saying these days?
>>
>>135823848

zozzle

You'll pretty much be laughed at if you say anything else.
>>
>digging through 2ch threads to see what the Japanese fans are saying about things
>they're about as boring as people who bring back information about Japanese fans would lead you to believe
>find myself wondering why I'm not just reading VNs
>>
File: 1428834919479.jpg (20KB, 170x170px) Image search: [Google]
1428834919479.jpg
20KB, 170x170px
>>135823939
http://bbs.2ch2.net/suiside/
>>
>>135824027

Oh hey, it's Japanese tumblr.
>>
File: 1430989118213.jpg (117KB, 588x575px) Image search: [Google]
1430989118213.jpg
117KB, 588x575px
>>135824027
>suiside
jesus, even when the japs kill themselves they're cute
>>
>>135824027
I wish 2ch was actually browseable, looking at this site makes me want to die
>>
>>135824218
There's all those add-on browsers you can use
>>
>>135824378
Which do you recommend?
>>
>>135824414
I'm sorry, that was the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
>>
>誰も殺してくれない。ベッドに包丁突き立ててもいくらやってもはれない。動物や人に向ける前に誰か殺して。自分でやると成功率下がるから。人に向ける前に誰でもいいから殺して。
Some of you all alright
Don't go to Japan tomorrow
>>
>>135824486
Doesn't he know about jumping in front of trains?
>>
詰まらない人生ですね。幻想郷 を行きましょうか?
>>
File: senmon.png (176KB, 327x326px) Image search: [Google]
senmon.png
176KB, 327x326px
>>135825211
>mfw I read 幻想郷
>>
>>135825211
はい、どうぞ
>>
File: %t-2016-01-08_01-33-28.jpg (14KB, 59x196px) Image search: [Google]
%t-2016-01-08_01-33-28.jpg
14KB, 59x196px
Thread posts: 523
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.