[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does Alan Watts mean when he says that once you figure out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_0745.jpg (133KB, 1533x961px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0745.jpg
133KB, 1533x961px
What does Alan Watts mean when he says that once you figure out the meaning of life you can't stop laughing? What is life about?
>>
Finding your soulmate.
>>
>>19582242
That's fucking gay and has no comedic element.
>>
Life is a Comedy and he knew.
>>
>>19582245
That's what life is about. It's not supposed to be funny, nigger.
>>
>>19582250
Then why would it make me laugh? The simplicity of it? It's obviousness?
>>
>>19582238
Not all laughter stems from merriment.
>>
File: 1493777035284.jpg (107KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1493777035284.jpg
107KB, 800x800px
>>19582238
It is to laugh
>>
>>19582238
it is about laugh
>>
>>19582267
Ah, yes. Insantiy also makes one laugh.
>>
How would he know he was an alcoholic with 3 divorces, guy never sorted himself out
>>
>>19582238
It's all a big joke and you're the punchline
The joke is you think you will die forever but you don't lol gotcha
>>
Alan Watts was a quack. Nothing but a poet, a self described entertainer. He made a living by confusing people with nonsense.
>>
>>19582238
you literally lose your mind because you find out that its all just an infinite recursion of supersystems and archons fucking everyone around. Eventually we'll be archons of our ow simulacra on our phones and it will be a real splash of cold water when we realize our overlords are probably petty assholes like ourselves. All you can do is laugh at the morose absurdity.
>>
>>19582238

>Noting and everything, all at once.

I am still laughing at it every time I remember it.
>>
>>19582238
I'd tell you but whenever I think about it I just can't stop laughing.
>>
>>19582238
That there is no actual meaning. You laugh because you see that the massive lengths that people have gone to support a lie have been for nothing.
That someone, somewhere, came back home and said that God spoke to him through a fucking burning bush, and everyone believed him,
That another someone had to convince people that a guy ascended the heavens in a chariot of fire. That to this very day, people kill eachother because they disagree on who the MC is on their favorire fanfiction.

Like that fire drill scene in The Office. There is no fire, just smoke. Fatso breaks the vending machine with a chair to loot the place. One guy tries to escape through the suspended ceiling and some other lady throws a cat in the ceiling too. They stampede, they try to break the door with a copy machine, they almost kill eachother, one guy has a stroke.
Its funny because the situation is stupid. There is no fire, yet they are acting like animals.

Its funny because we are acting like animals on a daily basis because some dude a thousand years ago wanted attention.
>>
>>19582238
the meaning of life is to experience and to learn

experiencing enlightenment means realising that what you have been searching for is where you are searching from
that's pretty funny in my opinion
>>
Life is fucking hilarious but it is also extremely sad, but mostly hilarious.
Just reading all the shit /x/ comes up with, how can you not laugh? The most hilarious shit it how engrossed or convinced some people are concerning their beliefs or opinions. I for one can't take myself seriously, anyone or anything for that matter. This has created a predicament within my life that I can not escape, this is the most hilarious paradox of all. Once you think you have 'escaped' you realise you are just as trapped and ultimately mundane as everyone else.
>>
You are literally just a sperm from a drop of semen that made it so far as to evolve into the form you are today. The funny part is that you are as important as those sperms you swallowed last night after jacking off.
>>
>>19582238
puppet shows are funny
>>
File: buddha.jpg (92KB, 446x500px) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
92KB, 446x500px
>>19582238
It's like when you lose something important like say your wallet. Cash, credit cards, and IDs are in it. The moment you realize it's missing, you feel jolt of panic and despair.

You retrace your steps, seeing if you dropped it somewhere or if you left it in your car. You wonder if maybe someone had picked it up or worse, stole it. You can't find it anywhere, so you finally stop looking for it, feeling defeated and afraid of the consequences of having lost it.

Just as you're about to surrender to the ordeal, you remember something. You remember that there was a small compartment in your bag, one that you don't use often but thought it would be a safe place to put valuables in. You open it and inside is your wallet, right where you left it all along.

So now you feel relieved, happy, a little silly for panicking, and realize what a great big joke this whole scenarios been. You panicked over losing something that you've never lost. Something that's never left you. Something that was there the whole time. And you spent a great deal of time searching for what you've always had and making a fool of yourself in the process. And so you laugh and laugh.
>>
Life is a joke you’re not in on
>>
>>19582238
The joke was that there was never a "you" or "I" in the first place, and we have simply been deceiving ourselves into thinking we are "alive".
When you realize the illusory nature of being alive, you realize that everything you once took so seriously dissipates.
Then, when there is nothing left to hold onto, you laugh, for you realize you were the joke all along.
>>
>>19582345
most people think they are going to live forever though. They are often so stupid they think they are going to paradise too
>>
>>19582614
It's funny for a moment, then life goes on being shit only you now don't have to worry about your "wallet" anymore.
>>
Because life is really fucking funny.
>>
>>19582545
especially when the puppets are ants lol
>>
>>19582383
The burbing bush was a parbole just like the rest of the fucking bible. The whole damn book is figurative and one can find their own interpretation. The only literal translation or meaning of the burning bush is that gods light was brighter than flames themselves and that his very own might and presence on earth made the plants and bushes around hin appear to be on fire. But you are right, people who dont read further and believe that god talked through a man through a burning bush is retarded, like yourself.

What upsets me is the arrogance of you almost athiest tone. Its like you and many others on this board have given up hope on a faith or religion just because one guy ruined it. News flash, all religious texts had to be revived from dead languages and old sayings noone has heard of. You must study everything to even begin knowing the truth
>>
>>19582614
Except your laughter is a nervous response to release tension. There's nothing inherently comedic about the situation you've been in. It's just the sea of chemicals and synapses that make up who you are trying to calm you down before you do damage to yourself from stress.
>>
>>19582846
>The Bible is the literal word of God!
>... Except for the parts that I arbitrarily decree to be non-literal!
>>
>>19582247
In literary terms it is a comedy. It's full circle from non-existence through adventure to non-existence, so you're right.
>>
>>19582872
no, none of it is literal. He spends the entire pentateuch being a volcano lol
>>
>>19582238
Somebody know why /gif/ like allan watts ?
>>
>>19582238

you are the god. but you made yourself forget it.
>>
>>19582242
that`s pretty sad though
>>
File: 1491119387866.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1491119387866.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>>19582238
Stop, or start?
Remember that Alan Watts spoke like a Taoist monk, often with double meanings or riddles that were really a joke. It's meant to make you think, and once you come to understand the wisdom, that it stays with you, as it took some effort to figure out.
>>
>>19582859
this
>>
>>19582383
>dude the office lol

reddit is over there friendo
>>
File: ponder.png (118KB, 531x472px) Image search: [Google]
ponder.png
118KB, 531x472px
It means he's a fuckin gay retard
>>
File: ALTARTDaimakura.jpg (131KB, 501x891px) Image search: [Google]
ALTARTDaimakura.jpg
131KB, 501x891px
>>19582238

Life as we know it is just one dimension in a multiverse.
We will likely never know where it 'began'; and we really should just stop looking. Once you get to that point, everything just seems so trivial it becomes fun again. Hence the laughing.
>>
>>19582872
>>The Bible is the literal word of God!
Who said that? Christian fundamentalists? It's the sign of an incredibly narrow mind to assume that there can't be benevolent, disinterested people who don't go forcing their beliefs onto others and view the Bible as a collection of esoteric teachings. Just because you have some stereotype of Christians doesn't mean anyone who respects certain allegorical portions of the Bible is this type of Christian. In fact, one doesn't even need to be nominally Christian to appreciate the Bible.
>>
spooky place https://discord.gg/ytJsaqY
>>
>>19582238
thank you anon for letting me discover Alan Watts, I saw your post yesterday as soon as it got posted but I immediately started listening to his recordings and I cried. It is wonderful. I have heard these philosophies before in different contexts, from a different perspective and in a less serious environment. This man repeated what I have already learned and elaborated on particular things I have learned, when I thought I understood the deeper meaning of those things while I did not entirely.

Thank you.
>>
It's hilarious at first until you realize everyone else is still asleep going through all of these "problems" they create for thereselves. You try to help them you try to guide them. They wanna think about the past, they wanna dwell on the future, they don't care what they've done to others. Can't see the playground that is earth. They care about who's fucking who and get fucked up to get through the day. What's left to do other than watch them burn it down, seeking fulfillment where there is none until the creation is gone.
>>
>>19582238
Serve the lord your god

Care take the garden and all the creatures therein

Understand the way of all flesh

Accept the mesiah

Fear respect and above all love the one true god
>>
>>19582238
Well, if you rise your kundalini you will be very happy and laugh a lot, but I'm not sure how being trapped in an illusion is any funny.
>>
>>19585150

fuck off christfag
>>
>>19585258
fuck off hollow man
>>
>>19582776
Fucking introduce me to one. I've been hunting for people who think they are going to live forever all my life. I have met ONE beyond myself. Literally one.
>>
>>19582238
He means life is a fucking joke
>>
It's pointless, stupid posturing done by people to sound like they are smarter then they actually are.

Hey man, once you figure out all this life stuff you just laugh about it haha.

It's not an answer, it's not a philosophy. It's nonsensical bullshit smug assholes say. He thinks he's some kind of guru that's got it all figured out, but conveniently can't share any of this incredible information with anyone else.
>>
>>19582238
It's all just a joke. Can't you see?
>>
>>19585150
The bible is a lie, you have to be a special kind of stupid to believe that after we are all done living and dying we will have to sit down waiting until god reviews each and every life before our eyes so it is judged, it would take millions of years.

It is simpler (and more accurate) to think that you simply do your meditation, raise your kundalini, experience your liberation and are done with it.

Not only you do actually have the feeling of liberation (an extraordinary happening) to confirm that you will go to heaven, but also it makes more sense than waiting in line to have your life before every eye ever reviewed in front of you.
>>
>>19584886
That's good to hear, anon. Watts is a treasure.
>>
>>19582322
>alcoholic
He just liked to drink, nothing wrong with that.
>3 divorces
So?
>>
>>19585563
Lol, wake up.
>>
Feels like nothin at all
>>
>>19582238
I am the god of:

Fatherhood (abe)
The Lulz (zak)
Competition (jake)

and i am currently in the lead

zak had downs
>>
File: IMG_6308.jpg (45KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6308.jpg
45KB, 300x300px
>>19582238
Seems like you haven't found it yet OP, keep looking and maybe you won't.
>>
>>19582238
everything we are trying to figure out, we are already masters of.

everything we are ignoring, is what we came here for.

it's a sad laugh.
>>
>>19582238
Why doesn't he just tell us? I hate teasers. I bet he has nothing, actually.
>>
>>19582238
Try laughing. Still you will not understand, but you will feel better about your ignorance.
>>
>>19586070
Lol, you gave me quite the spook, Kyle.
>>
>>19585527
My eternal brother, we came from light and spend eternity rising towards it.
>>
>>19582859
you missed the point anon
>>
>>19583889
thats really nice.
Now could you say the same thing of every other group ?
>>
>>19585150
Whats with the fear ?
>>
>>19582238
all the life is a actor practice, all the nearlys,merely mere.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.