[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are YOU religious? This isn't meant to be bashing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1503532015558.jpg (132KB, 749x960px) Image search: [Google]
1503532015558.jpg
132KB, 749x960px
Why are YOU religious?

This isn't meant to be bashing religions, although I'm pretty much completely atheist. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic grammar and high schools and I know many people who are devoutly religious. So my question is, why? Obviously the reason people are atheist is simple, they don't see enough evidence to believe in religion.

So why are you religious? Strictly tradition? Have you had a religious experience significant enough to justify your beliefs?
>>
>To master Alteration, first accept that reality is a falsehood. There is no such thing. Our reality is a perception of greater forces impressed upon us for their amusement. Some say that these forces are the gods, other that they are something beyond the gods. For the wizard, it doesn't really matter.
>it doesn't really matter
>>
>>19549751

I get that. I do believe in that kind of stuff but I don't equate it to religion. To think that reality stops at the exact point we cease to perceive it is unbelievably naive. That being said, the religious ideology of "God" is just falsr
>>
>>19549734
I am really, really frightened of death. All the "it's just like it was before you were born" bullshit is totally unconvincing. I don't want to go back to the darkness.

Of course that's not a reason to believe anything, much less practice. I kike religion because it offers traditions and truths about humans and society. Even if there is no God and the only thing that happens to us when we die is decomposition, there's beauty and truth in religion. There are a lot of truths about the world thst are subtle and difficult to understand. Religion at its best creates a community where those truths can be learned.

Plus, High Church Anglican ceremonies are as close as I can get to experiencing magic without converting to Eastern Orthodoxy.
>>
>>19549734
I was raised as an atheist by two atheistic parents. Never came into contact with religion until the age of 24 when I got psychotic. Was like a life crash course in religion and philosophy, a profound mystical religious experience, although in the end it was also madness and insanity I guess.
I had another psychosis five years later, and also a very religious experience later when on my meds, after I prayed intensively to God to help me to get my shit together, which he did impressively.

All these experiences put together made me a strict believer, although it's sometimes hard to pin down in what I believe exactly. In a loving God I suppose, but not in one religion in particular, although I've read the bible by now, and I'm really fond of the NT and Jesus words.
>>
>>19549734
I had to battle with disease, that almost killed me. (Don't ask what disease, because doctors themselves couldn't explain it.) I knew that religion could help my mind to deal with that shit. As an atheist I just couldn't start to believe like that. I literally had to force myself to believe. Most religions seemed outdated, immoral and almost evil. So I pretty much had to create my own belief system. I'm kind of a buddhist, that believes in some form of a "god". This "god" isn't necessarily a creator god. Universe doesn't need a creator, it might be infinite. But this god might be more like brahman, the soul of the universe. Eternal stream of pure empathy, source where all of our consciousness comes from, and will return to. I believe this is also same as Nirvana, so this belief doesn't overlap my beliefs in buddhism. I believe that this stream is the same god or force, which most of the religions worship. So there isn't really one true religion. All religions are paths closer to the source, as long as you don't use religion as an excuse to degenerate into hatred. Hatred can never bring one closer to the source. To become one with the pure empathy, you need to develop the empathy.
>>
>>19549751
spooky i just read that like a week ago on a fluke
>>
>>19549734
Because science can't ever solve 'the problem of other minds', meaning, to even believe in reality itself, one must have FAITH that reality exists, as there is no science available that can empirically prove consciousness itself.

>>19549751
you're wrong, because what i am looking at, is reality

>>19549734
Why i am religious? Because religion provides a lot of answers man. Alright, before i get ahead of myself, you have to believe in something. So quite a few years back, after a brief bout of dabbling in solipsism like >>19549751, i decided that i had to believe in reality at the very least, which led to me believing in EVERYTHING. They call it pantheism apparently, but part of the belief is taking credence from all religion, as they are all trying to convey similar concepts that have been proven true through thought experiment, philosophy, alone, and some in part through paranormal activity itself.

>>19550021
Yeah, this is where it stems from, but trust me, i have proof that life after death exist, science even dictates it. here: before you were born you were dead yes?

Therefore, you arose from death the moment you were born, ergo, when you die, you will rise from death again.

If i had some more patience i'd go through a few passages with you that will open your eyes cause the bible is a book about reincarnation for a great deal.

Also, science has you covered double because google quantum entanglement DNA

meaning, all our DNA is the same DNA running through multiple organisms. We become another lifeform when we die. Time, being spatial in nature as opposed to rythmatical, would occlude any preconceived time paradoxes as each event would be its own space.

God is very much real and very much the universe itself. the universe = Hard drive wheras our consciousness = RAM. we save stuff to the hard drive and lose our memory when we shut our system off, only to load the programs we saved the next time we load the system.
>>
>>19550021
>>19551251

check out my replies in that thread you really don't need to be worried about death you need to worry about what's going on with your other lives right now.
>>
File: 14376363747.jpg (176KB, 1074x665px) Image search: [Google]
14376363747.jpg
176KB, 1074x665px
>>19549734
Because Eris has always been good to me.
>>
>>19550078
Nah he's as real as you and me he just likes to play games and test people or something. i'm 26 and at age 18 i asked the sky if god is there please show me you exist and since then life = never same again.

that very day i learned about the existence of ufos and since then i've even seen the black knight sattelite up close, which is in fact THIS craft depicted in the painting, something they never tell you about the black knight sattelite is that it can emit a literal halo, which i saw it do when it came its closest, and then it flew STRAIGHT UP into the heavens above man,

god is sort of a DEUS EX machina with sentience, just like you and i.

I also heavily believe in reincarnation as it is the ONLY way true objectivity can be achieved
>>
File: ufo-in-old-picture.jpg (57KB, 450x649px) Image search: [Google]
ufo-in-old-picture.jpg
57KB, 450x649px
>>19551762
*this painting
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.