[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 14

Let's face it /x/. As a species, we are on the brink of annihilation. We are never gonna make it through The Great Filter.

The Filter is a natural "border", where almost all lesser civilizations find themselves unable to surpass.
The reasons behind it? Countless, but a species' "maturity" level is the general rule of thumb.
According to the Kardashev Scale, civilizations can be categorized based on "resource management" which in turn is an indication of technology and civilization status. According to that Scale and in Carl Sagan's own words, humanity is no more than a 0.7 or 0.8 on the scale, where 1 represents a species capable of fully utilizing planetary resources.
However, when a species reaches that tipping point, it passes through the Filter, which ultimately decides if the species is worthy to survive. But the key here, is that most civilizations don't make it past the Filter.
Wars, greed, corruption, division, hatred, even natural phenomena, will contribute to that species' annihilation.
And guess what /x/.

The signs are all over.

The bells are tolling.
>>
Having never met any other alien species.. The great filter is a construct of humanity. For all we know, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>19520339
A rough estimation of the types of civilizations by category. This is a clear indication that as a species we haven't ever faced a real threat. But a brief look through our past and present, will tell you clearly that we keep bringing ourselves down constantly. We're not worthy /x.
>>
>>19520357
The filter is a pretty good explanation of why we haven't met anyone, while life is theoretically able to flourish. Because NOONE or very very few make it through the Filter.
>>
>>19520339
Maybe the Filter also explains the "alien phenomenon" and why they have never made open contact with us. Maybe they've just been observing us how we evolve civilization wise, as a one in a lifetime chance to do so.
>>
>>19520364
It definitely is a good explanation. Another could be that we are one of the very first intelligent life forms to evolve in the universe, or that intelligent life is much more difficult to evolve than we thought.
>>
>>19520384
Solid ideas. In general though, we are relatively young both as a planet -about 5bln years out of 17bln of the universe, and as a species -I'd say roughly 100k years if we only take the generally modern man. If you think about ehat we've accomplished in the last 150 years alone, you understand that the chance of us being among the first, should be really low. Again, only making assumptions here.
As for intelligent life, you got me I can't say much, only that life is generally easy to flourish. Intelligent life, I don't know, maybe you're right.
>>
File: 07663662_lg.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
07663662_lg.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>19520339
Also, going out on a limb here, maybe (((they))) have realized about the potential threat of the Great Filter, and that is why they are pushing the NWO agenda so hard. To establish a tyrannical union by force, in the face of our imminent annihilation. But as far as it seems, everything seems to be backfiring.
Maybe they did meet up the ayyys in 1947. Maybe that's what the ayyys warned them about before they returned to their observation status.
>>
File: saucer-2.jpg (37KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
saucer-2.jpg
37KB, 500x297px
>>19520339
Maybe there was a grain of truth to this story all along.
>>
>>19520407
That's a good point. The past 150 years have been ridiculous when it comes to the technological development. Another theory (sort of following that logic) is that all intelligent life progresses to the point where they COULD go out and explore, but choose near-immortality instead. Hooking themselves into a matrix-style simulation around a star, and slowing their perception of time as they live in bliss until the star dies. Why risk death exploring the universe when you can create your own universe to explore in a computer?
>>
>>19520407
Or FTL travel is physically impossible. There might be a point where technology cannot be developed any further, and the universe is expanding so quickly that we may never reach life on other planets. Unless life exists in our galaxy.
>>
>>19520441
Exactly. This is a perfect example of a civilization failing to pass the Second Filter and progress to a 3rd type civilization, after they've managed to utilize their entire solar system. No argument can be made against your example, it sounds like the coolest fucking deal. That's why it's so hard to pass the Filter. And maybe that's why it's such a bad omen for us as well, albeit on a much smaller scale. Surviving our own selves.
>>
>>19520339
considering how humans behaved for all the known history, do you think we have the right to?
>>
The same applies to what I'm saying. However, I'd rather people just live and leave it to their own interpretation. By classifying things on this scale, you are wasting valuable time and energy. Put it toward biology or the nature around you, instead of pointless shit like this.
>>
>>19520446
FTL might be impossible from an acceleration standpoint yes. But if you take into account quantum, warp, wormhole, zero point or other exotic theories, it doesn't seem impossible anymore. It is too early yet to be decisive about it. Just because it seems far, it doesn't mean noone can go there. Remember this is exactly what they told Colombus.
>>
>>19520339
The bells are tolling, you are correct, but I am not sure if they are for the reason you think they are. I don't see why technological progress should be the measure of a civilization. Sure we have achieved much but at the same time we are crazy. Our culture is terribly imbalanced. Increasing our technology and exploring the galaxy also implies that this universe of ours is material and we need to go out to learn about it. The universe, on the other hand, may be entirely mental and we would be foolish to continue to try to brute force our understanding the way we have so far.

If there are aliens out there, and they are aware of us, I have a feeling they are laughing at how crazy we are.
>>
>>19520479
>Remember this is exactly what they told Colombus.
they told columbus the world was round the guy didnt listen

I agree with what you said my beef is with columbus and how people percieve him
>>
>>19520339
>>in this moment I'm euphoric, because I know Space Jesus will judged me fairly!
Go to Church and stop with this bullshit.
>>
>>19520469
No to be honest we won't make it like this. But I also don't know if there really CAN be an alternative. Drugging people so they become compliant? Surely we have come a long way from the cave, but shut off the electricity for a week, and watch as our 'modern civilization literally crumbles to ashes for two cans of tuna.
>>
>>19520489
Oh I'm not euphoric, on the contrary. I'm scared shitless because I think I see a great wall ahead (not Trump's) and we keep speeding like nobody's business.
>>
>>19520495
>we won't make it like this
have to remember your/our place in the universe first, were not even a single dot in the sea of time and space

step by step telling people and them understanding the shit themselves are 2 different things

being angry on how were not gonna make it while someone else will doesnt help

but yeah were fucked when WE look at it in OUR point of view but that doesnt mean it will be the same when future generations do
>>
>>19520339
I would also like to add the very familiar to all of you I'm sure, the so called Singularity or technological singularity that is supposed to happen really soon. Isn't all that tied to The Great Filter?
>>
The big problems havent even started yet. We are living the prologue to the next step in human consciousness shift. But that comes after humanity has lived through the horrors that await us in the coming years. Huge water crisis around the world, massive population displacements and economic disparity + a bunch of other factors will lead into the great kill off. Those who make it out will probably usher the change into a new era of technological advancement and human thought
>>
>>19520483
>I have a feeling they are laughing at how crazy we are.
I doubt it, theyre probably saying holy shit thats just how we are in the past

the reality we perceive is the same reality they do, so while their understanding of physics is more advanced than us they are still bound by it
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
>>19520512
I don't disagree at all. I'm just saying that maybe we're faced with a great threat. A threat that if it comes to fruition, there won't be any possibly enlightened future generarionts to feel sad about their primitive space monkey grandpas.
>>
File: billgatesquote.jpg (933KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
billgatesquote.jpg
933KB, 1500x1000px
>>19520555
Also Bill.
>>
>>19520554
This has nothing to do with an understanding of physics it is how we approach the world. You can study the mysteries of the universe without creating a society that worships death to the point that we spend all of our resources to build weapons and murder people. As a species we have decided on a path and it is a dangerous one.

A sane person would look at the weapons we constructed and say maybe we should slow down. We look at our weapons and say not enough lets make them bigger. We have turned whole countries into nothing more then an open air testing ground for the effects of these weapons and people think it is acceptable.
>>
File: michiokakuquote33115.jpg (2MB, 1500x2381px) Image search: [Google]
michiokakuquote33115.jpg
2MB, 1500x2381px
>>19520573
Kaku. We won't survive ourselves probably.
>>
>>19520555
>I'm just saying that maybe we're faced with a great threat.
we are all the time, while I get how youre feeling and that all encompassing shit and all them fears

you gotta remember you cant take everything in we arent made to take everything in

put yourself at an ant mindspace and picture the problem presented as a human problem

ant cant process or fathom it, also we got limited time so youre not even able to do the solution even if you know the solution, thats why infinity exist

infinity is a finite number but too large to actually understand or comprehend
>>
File: stevewozniakquote33015.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
stevewozniakquote33015.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>19520549
You're absolutely correct. Not only wars, or natural phenomena, the division people between right and left, /pol/ itical correctness, CTD, the hunger, the diseases. It really is the Great Filter. What else could this craziness be?
>>
>>19520594
These divisions are being exaggerated by a very small cabal of people that use it to their own end. Most people are more similar then they care to admit. We need to remove the parasites that use their knowledge to keep people divided.
>>
File: download.png (10KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
10KB, 228x221px
>>19520585
I agree completely. I'm just worried and thinking that hell, if there is something I can do to contribute and help towards a solution, no matter how small it may be, I should do it.
>>
File: o-REVOLUTION-FIST-facebook.jpg (215KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-REVOLUTION-FIST-facebook.jpg
215KB, 2000x1000px
>>19520604
But I don't think that will solve anything. It will just set us back (again). And who's saying that after the /removeparasite/ occurs, other parasites won't take their place, like always throughout history?
>>
>>19520339
Why are people letting someone else's standards define so much. This "Great Filter". This "Classification" has no relevance to anything.
>>
>>19520585
The only threat we have is what we deem a threat. There is no life or death. There is no pain, no suffering. There is nothing but being here because we're here.

>>19520613
A solution for what? There is only a solution if there is a problem. There is no problem here.
>>
>>19520628
All the parasites are the same, they are psychopaths. It takes a terribly damaged person not to be effected by the suffering of others but we have a culture that gives those tendencies primacy. What is a corporation today but externalized psychopathy. We have created systems that allows us to harm others without feeling the remorse we should.

That is what we need to fix, if people saw each other as they really are they wouldn't be doing things that would harm other people. How we remove the psychopaths is beyond me.
>>
>>19520613
I know, I'm just trying to drag you back down

because its completely and utterly random, thats why people call it fate or predetermined, even if you try to limit and control it you just simply cant

even if you can see all future paths, you can only make small changes not the whole picture because other people make small changes to
>>
>>19520339
haha a penis! theres a penis in your picture!
>>
>>19520642
>There is nothing but being here because we're here.
doesnt mean you cant enjoy being here
>>
>>19520687
I never said you can't enjoy it. Ultimately, it all depends on what you make of your time being conscious.

Depending on your perspective, it's most likely meaningless, but that's alright.
>>
>>19520638
Every structure, physical, mental or spiritual, is someone's standards. From the house you live in, to the Ten Commandments, to Law, to all sciences, it's someone's structure of standards. It is generally foolish to discard something just on that basis, even if it's only a theory.
>>
>>19520719
>>19520719
I built my house by my own standards. I follow my own commandments, and live in a remote enough area where I do not have to follow law. Science, to me, I only believe what I can see or experience. LSD tends to help alleviate that, however.

However, these other standards you speak of, actually have relevance to something. They keep you alive, keep you in tune, and keep you working. Things like "Civilization II" and tiers of varying civilization(Third and First World, for example) are standards that should only be made by what you make of it. Some third world countries have people that enjoy and thrive, while others don't.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>19520735
Do you produce your own internet? Did you manufacture your own pc, or paid with it with your very own mined gold or precipis metals? Do you speak your own language? We could argue like this forever but not reach anywhere. Either way, that wasn't the point. The point was that dismissing something just because you don't like it or disagree with it isn't enough. There may be merit to it.
>>
>>19520339
Ayy are probably wondering why we hold ourselves back so much. (((They))) may be holding us back so that when it is finally time for humanity arises from the dirt, only the chosen people are left. The few mongrel slaves still around will finally be discarded.
>>
>>19520658
In reality I was torn between making a /gif thread and an /x one. As you can see I settled for both.
>>
>>19520642
What are you talking about? Is it you or the trip talking? Cause it doesn't really make any sense. Cause in the real world there is life and death, pain and suffering, famine and thirst, greed and hate, blood and sweat, fear and tyranny.
>>
>>19520645
Remove them democratically through assassinations.
>>
>>19520784
Yeah maybe so. (((They))) maybe think that only they will survive and (((their))) families, and the rest of us will simply be fuel for the fire. Hulk Angry!
>>
>>19520808
I have supreme confidence (((they))) will never win, at least not in the long run. In all the epic tales good is always victorious over evil. Now (((they))) may twist the narrative to try and make themselves out to be good people but they use evil methods. Morals are not subjective, there is objective right and wrong, and (((they))) are in the wrong.
>>
>>19520793
It's not a trip.

It makes perfect sense. In the real world there is no life or death, there is no pain nor suffering, no famine and no thirst. No greed, no hate. No blood and sweat. No fear, no tyranny.

There is only the sense of being. When what the human perspective of death comes around, you do not cease to exist. Your physical body, and your conscious do not stop existing. Only your perspective changes.
>>
File: alice.jpg (153KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
alice.jpg
153KB, 600x900px
Go look for the youtube channel of Isaac Arthur. He has a full series just about Great Filters. He is an astrobiologist IIRC.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.