[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people care so much about the Multi-verse theory? If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: earfs.png (188KB, 562x326px) Image search: [Google]
earfs.png
188KB, 562x326px
Why do people care so much about the Multi-verse theory?

If the universe is infinite, then doesn't that mean there is a 100% chance that everything that can happen within it, will happen?

probability would dictate that within infinite possibilities you have infinite results right?
That means that the multi-verse is irrelevant, and parallel versions of ourselves exist within the same universe.

>infinite galaxies = infinite solar systems
>infinite solar systems = infinite planets
>infinite planets = infinite earth-like planets
>infinite earth-like planets = infinite chances for life to evolve
>>
>there's a universe where actual magic exists, not subtle "if you believe and practice hard enough you can delude yourself!" type magic

I hope I get to experience it. This universe fucking sucks.
>>
multi-verse = schizo
>>
>>19513325
We'll just have to create one of our own that doesn't suck.
>>
>>19513325
depends on whether the laws of physics are the same throughout universes, really...
>>
File: kumagawa2.jpg (10KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
kumagawa2.jpg
10KB, 210x240px
>>19513325
I didn't say that. and I don't think magic is possible. we have elements and laws within our universe that prevent it.

our minds are unrestricted though, so you can imagine it, or play video games.

also, you say this universe fucking sucks. but what do you have to compare it to?!?
>>
>>19513370
>but what do you have to compare it to?!?
Books, movies, television, plays, my imagination, etc. Some of these are so compelling that they completely immerse me in them, and by the time it's finished, I'm depressed because it's over. I used to get really fucked up after reaching the end of something I love. I remember finishing Angel Densetsu back when I was a teenager and I cried so hard I threw up, realizing there will never be any more content and I'll never experience anything new from this.

And there aren't laws that prevent magic. At least, not in the way that I imagine it.

Some insects can spit fire. I've heard of a beetle that can shit explosions as a defense mechanism. Imagine if humans had evolved the ability to shoot fire out of their hands or mouth. It's possible, and that's what I would consider magic in this sense. Not necessarily mental magic, but something beyond the capabilities of what I can currently do.
>>
>>19513285
I have a theory that our souls are eternal through all multiverses and we exist forever in a never ending loop playing out every possible infinite scenario
IMO that is why people experience dejavu because they have experienced it infinite ties and sometimes we click onto that
>>
>>19513409
Rock on, anon.
>>
>>19513285
>If the universe is infinite, then doesn't that mean there is a 100% chance that everything that can happen within it, will happen?
No, it means everything which is POSSIBLE will happen eventually given infinite time. Is it possible for you to suddenly grow 4 arms? No. So that'll never happen. Nor will there ever be a planet where humans have magical powers.

Is it possible that you will be reborn sometime in the future? Yes. You exist now, your existence is 100% probable. Even after your death your existence will be 100% probable. So, given infinite time, it's 100% probable that you'll exist again.
>>
So, will I be handsome in another universe? Or will the standard of beauty change where I'm pretty and the current pretty people are the uggos?
>>
>>19513409
You have to think about biology though.

Fire specifically requires a lot of energy and fuel. If your body could produce fire, you would burn yourself and die of starvation / dehydration probably.
The beetles that shoot fire do it in quick bursts, like a flash.

Imagination and reality are exclusive. You can't think of things without them being based in reality. and you can't produce things from imagination into reality. it's sad and it sucks.
but our imagination is wonderful, it's like a universe in our head to explore and create as we see fit, with NO rules. I would say it's better than a parallel universe with magic and bullshit
>>
>>19513444
Both. In some Universes you won't be born. In some you'll be gay. In some you'll be deformed and ugly. In some you'll literally be the President of teh US.

Every possible universal configuration will eventually occur given infinite time. Not only that, every possible configuration will occur an infinite number of times.

You've posted that an infinite number of times and you'll post that again an infinite number of times.
>>
>>19513443
>everything that can happen within it, will happen.

I made it clear that I meant within the laws of nature everything can happen. nowhere in my post did i suggest magic.

I simply mean that I could be living the exact same life i am right now. on another earth really far away. far away but still within this universe
>>
>>19513285
i need an alternate universe where my life doesnt suck
>>
File: agdq34.png (116KB, 252x245px) Image search: [Google]
agdq34.png
116KB, 252x245px
there's a universe where people created god through technology

when you die, robot god uploads your consciousness into either the eternal punishment program or the eternal paradise program depending on how you did in your life.

better hope the multiverse isn't real.
>>
File: 1503440931196.jpg (83KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1503440931196.jpg
83KB, 1920x1080px
>>19513457
>You've posted that an infinite number of times and you'll post that again an infinite number of times

Welcome to 4chan
>>
File: hubbles_law.gif (4KB, 520x314px) Image search: [Google]
hubbles_law.gif
4KB, 520x314px
>>19513459
Fair enough, but you're making a small error.

Whether the Universe is infinite or not it will eventually die. It's 14 billion years old and is dying a heat-death. Energy is dissipating, and the Universe is expanding. Eventually, all particles will be moving away from all other particles faster than the speed of light, until no particles can interact with eachother, meaning the Universe will die.

THIS is when the 'new' Universe will form, and the dice will be rolled again. Given infinite time, it's inevitable that this exact Universe will eventually be reborn, along with you, me, and everyone else.

The probability of there being 2 'yous' right now in this Universe is almost 0%. The probability that you'll be reborn in the 'new' universe however is 100%.
>>
>>19513460
>Alternate Universe Scan Initiated
>Target: Universes where poster's life doesn't suck
>Scanning
>Scanning
>Scan complete.
>Alternate universes found: 0.

Thank you for using Alterna-Scan, the alternate universe scanning system!
>>
>>19513507
okay. I agree with you on the dice roll. and the universe dying.

but the universe is to big. maybe if there isn't an infinite number of me. there's AT LEAST more than this one.
>>
What is the universe being infinite based on? I understand why an infinite universe leads to a multiverse, but why do scientists think our universe is infinite?
>>
>>19513514
For there to be another you in THIS Universe means there must be another your Mother, Father, Grandparents, Greatgrandparents.......... all the way back to your first ancestors, then further back to your first strands of DNA. And they must all make the exact same decisions. Even the sperm which was you. For that to happen exactly as it has on this planet is slim given the Universe is only 14 billion years old.

Time is infinite, but the Universe has a finite life-span.

You'll exist again, just not in this Universe.
>>
Do people actually care about it?
>>
>>19513522
A few reasons. The Big Bang had a source, a 'creator' (not god), but the Universe can't have created itself because it didn't exist yet. Whatever this source was must also have a source, and it's source must also have a source... and so on. It's an infinite regression of 'creators' existing before the creation. There can be no absolute beginning to everything because everything must have a source.
>>
>>19513564
... the Universe has always existed and always will exist.

It's paradoxical and mind-boggling, and desu it's quite awesome.
>>
>>19513285
>probability would dictate that within infinite possibilities you have infinite results right?
No. You can roll a six-sided die infinite times. The probability of landing on 9 is exactly 0%. Infinite die rolls still has the same probability of a thousand or just one die roll.

In comparison, that there might be an infinite multiverse doesn't immediately give support to the idea that the variation between "verses" is infinite. Even if the variation is infinite, it may STILL exclude certain variations. Consider this time a number line - infinite variations of numbers. But you'll never find a color on a number line - only numbers.
>>19513443
>So, given infinite time, it's 100% probable that you'll exist again.
Not if heat death is at all accurate. At some point, every region of space will have too little energy to do anything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

>>19513459
If the universe is boundless, and matter is infinite (no matter the density) - then it would seem to logically follow that in a given region of space, there are a finite number of combinations matter can arrange itself into. So no matter how diverse those arrangements, it MUST have a region in infinite space that is EXACTLY the same - indeed there must be infinite copies of these same arrangements.

So while this other region would be further away than the observable universe (i.e - you'll never meet), it stands to reason that infinite space + infinite matter = infinite exact copies of you. However this guy has some compelling counterarguments:
https://www.quora.com/If-the-universe-is-infinite-could-there-be-another-me
>>19513507
>Eventually, all particles will be moving away from all other particles faster than the speed of light, until no particles can interact with eachother
Well, a lot of those particles are going to be trapped into black holes, but when it's all either black hole, hawking radiation, or empty space - the effect will be the same.
>>
>>19513285
>Why do people care so much about the Multi-verse theory?
>
>If the universe is infinite, then doesn't that mean there is a 100% chance that everything that can happen within it, will happen?
>
>probability would dictate that within infinite possibilities you have infinite results right?
>That means that the multi-verse is irrelevant, and parallel versions of ourselves exist within the same universe.

The universe is infinite is a misconception. It is infinitely expanding but its not infinite. We know it's expanding though.
>
>>infinite galaxies = infinite solar systems
>>infinite solar systems = infinite planets
>>infinite planets = infinite earth-like planets
>>infinite earth-like planets = infinite chances for life to evolve
>>
>>19513915
>Not if heat death is at all accurate. At some point, every region of space will have too little energy to do anything.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
Aha, but you forgot the magic words.... 'Boltzmann Fluctuation'.

It's inevitable that, given infinite time, 2 random 'virtual' particles will collide and set off a chain reaction, aka, a Big Bang.
>>
>>19513285
you answered your own question. if what you say is correct, then there's a universe where everybody cares a lot about multiverse theory. what kind of thread is this?
>>
>>19513285
Who says the universe IS infinite? We can't measure ours to infinite distances, so there's absolutely no proof at this point that it is infinite. Even if it was, All we know is that everything we've seen operates by certain rules. As one anon pointed out: you can't roll a 9 on a six-sided die, in our universe. Other universes may have completely different rules however. We can't know, since we aren't in those other universes (if they exist). This simple solution uses nothing but common sense and is a solution to all your questions.
>>
>>19513939
The difference - taking the virtual particle collision as how the BB started - is that the "original" collision happened "before" Inflation. Any collisions now are already within a spacetime manifold, and aren't popping new universes into existence.
>>
>>19513443
are you implying that the moment i die i will be alive again the next instant because time passes instantly when you are dead
>>
when you die your consciousness will shift to some random human and it will be like you've been that person the entire time.
>>
File: 1474999385620.png (1MB, 1200x1261px) Image search: [Google]
1474999385620.png
1MB, 1200x1261px
>>19513454
>and you can't produce things from imagination into reality

What is a car?
What are guns and firethrowers?
What is plastic surgery?
What are houses and homes?
What are designer clothes?
What is money?
What are airplanes?

I can go till tomorrow with this.

The whole purpose of our imagination is so we can use it to find practical ways to manifest our ideas into reality.

>>19513454
>>19513443
Instead of appreciating the beauty of this world (the real one) and working towards improving your own lives you guys indulge in time wasting escapism. Something to think about...
>>
There's only one reality infinity doesn't exist. Everything is finite. The only thing that surpasses finite, in a way, is the non physical mind. You can live a long time that way but I the end most die. The potential for death is always there. Infinity is a fairytale. Took a long time for me to come up with these conclusions but I feel anyone would agree after reaching a certain point in their conscious Ness. I mean don't get me wrong, there is A LOT of "things" in the universe but I believe it's all finite in it's nature
>>
>>19514370
>imagination is practical!
>stop being escapists gaiz, you're wasting your time being imaginative!
think harder before you post next time
>>
>>19513325
I'd like to think that our Universe has some pretty good things going for it that we take for granted, but is hot shit somewhere else.
>>
>>19514574
maybe on the multiversal level, conceptually stable platforms for the exercise of imagination are in some manner difficult to establish.
>>
>>19513409
>. I remember finishing Angel Densetsu back when I was a teenager and I cried so hard I threw up, realizing there will never be any more content and I'll never experience anything new from this.

What is up with kids these days? That's not sweet or worthy of sympathy. It's fucking retarded and cringy.
>>
>>19513285
The implication of multiverse theory being that the universe itself is finite.
>>
>>19514027
Fuck knows. It's just one (the most logical) theory.

It's either that, or, everything magically came from nothing. I find that hard to swallow desu.

OT: one of the reasons many physicists turn to God in their later years is the creation "ex nihilio" problem.
>>
>>19514528
That's not what I implied at all.

Re-read what I wrote and try to improve your reading comprehension.

You were the ones being butthurt that you can't do reality warping with your imagination.

I merely said that you should direct your imaginative abilities towards changing your own life rather than use it as a way to escape from it.
>>
What is the point of infinite universe?
It won't matter to us humans nor to anything else, nor there is any plausible way of actually measuring it beyond the "it's possible!" theory.

This is when physics is given too much time and nothing worthy to work on.
>>
>>19513285
>there is an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2, none of which is 3 yadda yadda
>>
>>19515130
That was actually my first post in the thread, mate. Not impressed.
>>
>>19515703
Yeah you're just going to ignore what I said completely, now you're just pretending to be retarded.
I hope you're pretending at least..

Anywaaayy, keep having fun trying to do a kamehameha wave with your mind, thats a completely healthy thing to do :^)
>>
>>19513285
This reality sucks. Imagine you hate peaches and you're born into a reality where all food tastes like peaches. You'd wanna fucking kill yourself. That's how most of us feel. I would rather die than live in a world like this. I want...NO DEMAND fireball and lightning bolt from my hands, fighting dragons and evil mages. If you don't like any job that doesn't involve wind blasting an orc or incinerating a frost giant then any and I mean ANY job in this world will be shit at best. Imagine the dragon born or the chosen undead working in a cubicle typing numbers bullshit into a program all day. They would smash the computer with a sword and jump off the nearest ledge
>>
>>19514354
I use to tho k this until I realized something.

Since the population is growing, where are all these "consciouses" coming from?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.