[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nasa drilling into yellow stone to prevent a cataclysmic eve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: yellowstone.png (228KB, 750x454px) Image search: [Google]
yellowstone.png
228KB, 750x454px
Nasa drilling into yellow stone to prevent a cataclysmic event . opinions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzD0dW5KxY
>>
>>19499483
Why would a space agency want to drill into the earth
>>
File: 1503529145093.jpg (746KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503529145093.jpg
746KB, 1024x768px
>>19499501
>>
>>19499501
Testing terraforming tech
>>
>>19499483
Was under the impression drilling into a volcano would cause pressure to drop, and pressure dropping would cause gasses to escape the magma which could possibly trigger an eruption. Seems like a shit idea to me.
>>
>>19499700
And you really think you came up with that before NASA did?
>>
I watched for months as article after article downplayed The earthquakes in Yellowstone and the likelihood that an eruption would ever occur in our lifetimes.

A couple weeks ago, article after article is now talking about the possibility of eruption and the words of Brian Cox (not even an official NASA spokesperson) addressing the volcano and its very real threat.

As always, the media is used to push (or pull) narratives. Make of that what you will, friends.
>>
>19499716
Fuck off, not even going to dignify your post with a (You).
>>
>>19499725
That media guy really needs to be stopped.
>>
>>19499483
The problem is that fossil fuel extraction causes seismic problems, and we still have too much industry denialism about that issue. I'm not talking about earthquakes from fracking: I'm saying that it makes more sense to classify Centralia as a low-intensity volcanic event.

I support the idea that we can lance Yellowstone to move the likely date of the caldera, because we need to remove the nearby nuclear waste from storage: lest the volcanic ash become absolutely mixed with depleted Uranium.

Unfortunately, the notion that we can continually steam water through the volcano is bunk. We will precipitate salt in the process, and the salt will conduct pressure thus unto an electrochemical gradient that dissolves more rock into magma.

If you want to make a precipitate that has more resistance, then you will need to use a mix that is rich in silicon dioxide and potassium. Basically, mix coal fly ash with the water solution in order to plug the drill site with potassium silicate as the water steams out.

This measure will still be a delay, but the system will become less chaotic if you use coal fly ash in the water. You need to relieve the pressure between Yellowstone and Hanford Nuclear Waste Storage site.
>>
>>19499483
Oh my god, we are actually living in idiocracy.
>>
>>19499483
theyre wasting $3.5B, wont actually do anything theyll only open a slowly opening caldera, but yellow stone will still erupt just not in our lifetime

if they dont do it it still wont erupt in our lifetime
>>
>>19499483
>>19499501
>>19499520
God damnit lol
>>
>>19499716
I mean, how well funded is NASA right now?
>>
>>19499483
is this linked to the 23rd?
>>
>>19499520
Wtf is this trash
>>
>>19499634
Ok that's a step in the way of making sense
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.