[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to the Roanoke colony? What does 'Croatoan'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: Croatoan-1.jpg (143KB, 765x403px) Image search: [Google]
Croatoan-1.jpg
143KB, 765x403px
What happened to the Roanoke colony?
What does 'Croatoan' mean?
>>
My guess is that they were either killed or kidnapped by natives. The natives probably yelled something that sounded similar to 'Croatoan' and someone thought it was significant.
>>
Ayla maos
>>
>>19478014
but there were no bodies, no tools, no tents, nothing. would the natives have taken everything, including the bodies?
>>
>>19478014
That's one hell of an ambush, though.
To take the entire town and leave not a single thing unturned? Food still on the tables, no signs of battle anywhere?
That's one HELL of an ambush...
>>
>>19478020
>>19478022
wait, were the possessions there or not? i thought there was nothing left when they came back to find them but im probably wrong
>>
>>19478023
I've heard that there were plates of food sitting on the tables, but who knows, I wasn't there.
Either way, if it was an attack, where were the bullet holes in the buildings? I haven't heard any reports of so much as a single pistol laying on the ground, no powder burns, no holes, no arrows, nothing.
>>
Possible threat from native force or another nation.
Possible hysteria outbreak.
possible outbreak of disease.

Really, it could have been anything. The fact it was "sudden" to me suggest mass hysteria wrought by a colonial that created a mob-mentality regarding safety.

See the salem witch trials for a taste of what I mean.
>>
I think they moved to Croatoan Island and sank on the way.
>>
File: 1478004058144.gif (3MB, 350x198px) Image search: [Google]
1478004058144.gif
3MB, 350x198px
>>19478030
>outbreak of disease
would have left bodies
>threat to move
would have found them eventually, there wasnt a lot of white people in america,
>hysteria
ill look it up, havent heard of that possibility before
>>
>>19478030
>>19478034
Quite plausible, but I'm still curious to know what spooped them so bad they abandoned their town within the hour as night fell.
You'd think even in dire circumstances they'd take an evening to pack, and set out at first light.
>>
>>19478039

All valid points I was too dumb to consider.

Hysteria seems the most likely cause to me. I'm no expert on this subject by any means, but considering the time, relative level of education for most and the superstitions still entrenched deeply within all colonials, it wouldn't take much.

I mean we're talking about a group of people so terrified of god's wrath they burned people at the stake in other towns.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch.
>>
>>19478034
I mean, were still looking for evidence of them and we havent found anything, wouldnt we have found a ship or something by now?
>>
>>19478048
very true, maybe so, i just wonder where they went
>>
>>19478052

My first thought is "they joined another town", but the possibility of that would require somehow, someway, all records of taking colonials from the colony not making it into any official record, diary or documentation.
Those are odds too astronomical to fit.

If the ship crashed/made it to port, absolutely. We'd have something, even just a fragment of a pot. Some record, some notation.

There's also the possibility the colonials changed their identity (IE, "oh we're not from Roanoke, psssh! We're the...uh, Tent-shakers-first-southern-baptists of england! Yep. That's us,") and refused to ever speak of their roots.

That too would require astronomical odds.
>>
>>19478052
Its super hard to find wrecks in the Ocean, and who knows if they even pursued this theory.
>>
>>19477998
>Croatoan
probably Ustashe mistaking the colonists for Serbians
>>
Covfefe
>>
Something got really spoopy, and they paniqued, killed all children thinking that they where cursed, so they moved to other settlement using diferent names to escape the curse, and guilt, but wating for the warth o god.
>>
Merged with a local native tribe to avoid starvation? Iirc analysis of native groups in that area suggests that there was a lot of interbreeding with white people somewhere around that time period.

It does seem odd that they would just completely leave the town in what seems like an extreme hurry, but maybe reports of "food still on the tables" and things like that are just exaggerations meant to convey that they left a lot of stuff behind, or maybe some guy left a half eaten slice of bread behind but it wasn't a widespread thing.
>>
I think they went native. They were unhappy and at one point they made a sudden and rash collective decision to go inland to meet the natives. They got assimilated into the natives, which is why there were reports of English speaking natives in that region years after.
>>
>>19478176
>>19478194
maybe, but they would have come back, the english saw themselves as pure which is why they chose the new world over the netherlands. they didnt want the dutch ways to get into their children
>>
>>19478212
And that didn't went well, and they adapt.
>>
There was some gathering of all people weather it was a voyage or some party or some defense gathering due to news of attack

They killed them all men at least .. female were used for internreeding to beget child and then killed

Burn sank them to remove curse from land and leave no wvidence

And these cucka cant find that mh370 forget something finding century ago
>>
>>19477998
>>19478514
Croatin may be some place they want to go days around ambush and some may have tried to go so wriitten
>>
>>19478140
This make alot of sense.
>>
>>19477998
It was the first meme.
>>
>>19478114
underrated post
>>
>>19477998
Croatoan is an island

>>19478034
This is the most plausable
>>
>>19477998
>What does 'Croatoan' mean?
natives were croatians obviously
ZA DOM
>>
>>19478604
Where?
>>
>>19477998

They went to the island, Croatoan. Hence there being evidence of them on the island Croatoan.
>>
File: 3959578_orig.png (268KB, 550x373px) Image search: [Google]
3959578_orig.png
268KB, 550x373px
>>19478639
>>
>>19478652
Were they retardade?
Why didn't they craved a FULL FUCKING SENTENCE?
Europeans where dumb as fuck.
>>
>>19478652
>>19478636
Wasnt it called 'croatoan' island years after this?
>>
File: pence.jpg (99KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
pence.jpg
99KB, 1200x630px
>>19477998
it was just a prank bro
>>
>>19478699
This sounds like a Cristian thing to do.

Mak any thing to uphold his racist scary stories, to cover up for mass suicide/ cult mentality screwups.
>>
>>19478114
Overrated post
>>
>>19478840
More like a dead /pol/ meme.
>>
File: 1498778496711.jpg (66KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1498778496711.jpg
66KB, 320x240px
>>19477998
>White man steal land
>Doesn't know shit
>Sneak into white man village at night
>Put our plants of sacred journeys into their water
>watch from a distance
>White man tripping balls all over
>One tries to kill a bear
>Lol white man you can't take drugs, kill a bear
>Their shaman says it's a evil spirit called Sun-tan
>Begins talking of crazy things
>Makes up many words of no meaning
>White man begins screaming one word
>Now all white men screaming it
>Carve it into stuff
>They walk off to the big water
>They scream of a powerful shaman called "Geezus"
>My face when their "Geezus" shaman couldn't save them from drowning
>>
>>19478086
Underrated
>>
>>19478034
>They just moved to a different island
>Without packing their bags
>Or eating their food
>Or leaving evidence of construction of a ship
>They just went to town hall one day and the mayor was like "All in favor of just going to this island say aye"
>The ayes have it
>They just walk like lemmings straight into the ocean
>People are unironically saying this is the most plausible theory.
Relative to others? Even then, doubtful.
>>
>>19477998
They probably got swept up in pandemonium over one moron predicting the world will end tomorrow and they all need to leave to find Jesus. Then their ineptitude and the weather did the rest.
>>
Nigger Croatoan was the name of the neighboring Indian tribe. The settlement was fucked, and the residents just decided to leave.

Settlers who came to the island later reported that the Injuns were often lighter haired and had blue eyes.

Almost as if a breeding population of white people had joined the tribe.
>>
>>19480765
Sometimes the simplest answer is the most effective.
Also agree with the guy who said their water supply got spiked with something that made them trip balls. Monkey see monkey do, if one guy went in the ocean and they were all tripping it's not hard to imagine a small village all drowning themselves trying to baptize the drugs out of their system
>>
>>19480765
>lighter haired and had blue eyes
No it was only ever one or the other.. so they probably werent white descendants just typical fair/albino rarities of the shitskin world...theyre all over the planet, south america, indonesia, papua new guinea, china, africa middle ea st etc. none of those places are part white
>>
>>19480984
and they special test the genes of these people too they arent Caucasian, you can be fair without being mixed
>>
>>19477998
ambush or skin walkers
>>
they were slowly switched over to another timeline and succumbed to the effects of such travel, very much similar to what happened during The Philadelphia Experiment.
>>
>>19478048
That was literally one guy who had his own intrepertation of the Bible.
>>
>>19477998
I saw a history channel special that said they probably knew the Union was about to flank them (Confederates) and that the name is possibly a place in France they went to.
>>
>>19478052
We lost a fucking plane that has yet to be found even though it was equipped with GPS and high tech equipment in the 21st century...this boat is long gone if the theory is true.
>>
>>19478048
There's a hard limit to how much of the population "hysteria" can kill, even in Salem it was like 20 people among a population of around 3,000. The idea that they'd all just freak out and kill each other because "muh jesus!" is absurd.
>>
>>19482451
It's not that absurd. What IS absurd is thinking that all that many of them would remain Christian after learning about Christianity's true face.
>>
>>19482205
WTF there wasn't any Union or Confederacy at the time. Roanoke was a colony of English people set up before the US was even a thing.
>>
>>19478044
What we need to consider are the push and pull factors usually attributed to migration. In this case the push factors.
What would drive a group of people to leave their settlement? Either the camp was destroyed by a storm or earthquake and forced them to relocate, but we would have expected to find bodies/graves.
So the next main factor driving people to move away would be the threat of violence or the need for food.
The tribes they met at first were peaceful towards them and traded food.
So what if the diseases brought by the English killed off a lot of the local tribes? This would have an impact on the food being traded, as their would be less natives to plant and harvest crops. And less natives would have had the time or resources to trade too, because of their suddenly dwindling population.

In short, I believe they left to find a good food source or move to their next planned location but died from hunger/the elements/and any none friendly local tribes if they where in the vicinity.
>>
>>19482205
Wew lid, stop getting your history from the History Channel.
>>
>>19482570
makes more sense than the rest of this trash tho. and maybe they saw into the future or something about the Confederates
>>
>>19482733
>makes more sense than the rest of this trash tho.
NO IT DOESNT
>>
>>19482733
You moron! "Muh Confederates" is probably the stupidest theory in this thread! kys

Also, History Channel?
Care to provide a link to this amazing hypothesis?
>>
>>19478052
It's extremely hard to build a wooden ship. So if anything they would have used dugout canoes or a raft. Those don't last very long and would just be more logs in the silt
>>
the colony was failing and the europeans left it to survive with the natives. lewis and clark found natives with blonde hair in that same area
>>
>>19478020
Yeah, they might have known the English would come back for them so they tried to hide all evidence of the slaughter.
>>
>>19482733

>makes more sense than the rest of this trash though

no this is absolutely the most absurd thing being claimed in here and this is /x/
>>
They went to Croatoan Island. Modern-day Hatteras.

>>19478652
Thanks.

>>19478022
>Food still on the tables
What was this, the fucking Mary Celeste?
>>
>>19478863
More like a dead Drumpf meme xD
>>
>>19483618
Would natives really do or think about that sort of thing though? They probably weren't used to backup reserves from a country that large, all things considered. They would have just killed them and expected that to be the end of it.
>>
>>19482205
Yup, that sounds like the History Channel alright.
>>
>>19483595
Lewis and Clark explored the western part of the US not the Virginia coast (which had already been colonized long ago).
>>
Did they really leave the food? I can't find any proper source on the state which the relief fleet found the settlement.

Also here is my theory.

>Eternal Anglo terrorized the locals
>locals are mad
>make peace with injuns
>guy leaves for England to get some food
>somehow the food get contaminated
>ask help from injuns
>Croaton people tell that they would help they have healers
>no time to be wasted take everybody
>go to the mainalnd
>Injuns massacre the people
>they burry the dead
>English arrive
>'We saw nothing, I swear!'
>>
Abducted by ayy's.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.