[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is a sword shaped like a cross? Was it a coincidence, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 8271.jpg (99KB, 840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
8271.jpg
99KB, 840x2400px
Why is a sword shaped like a cross? Was it a coincidence, or did Christianity influence that design? Is there any spiritual meaning to it, wielding a literal cross?
>>
>>19469765
So you wouldn't cut your fucking fingers off. Go to bed OP.
>>
File: dunce.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
dunce.png
64KB, 658x901px
>>19469765
>>
Well I can answer some of this. First of all only a select number of swords are shaped like crosses. Straight bladed swords with a "cross"-gaurd. This was common among Europeans in the olden day's.

To answer your question the cross gaurd is for the practical reason of stopping an enemies blade from reaching your hand. While some guards have their advantages over the crossgaurd it has the advantage of being easy to forge.

I couldnt tell you how it originally came to be but I imagine it went a little something like this.
Smith notices wielders getting fingers sliced the fuck off by an enemy swordsman.
Comes up with the idea that he should put a guard on his swords to prevent fingers getting sliced.
Decides simplest option is to block it with a straight piece of metal.
Someone later probably noticed it took on the shape of a cross or that its made with two crossing pieces of metal so it was dubbed the cross gaurd.
It is possible some swords were made like that to be symbolic but really most swords just have it for the sake of functionality.
>>
>>19469765
Oh God you're retarded. Swords existed thousands of years before Christianity. It has a cross guard so that enemy blades won't slice your hands off. You should feel bad for being this stupid.
>>
>>19469769
>>19469793
>>19469969
>>19470064
Crossguards aren't for stopping a sword. They would stop one from sliding down and slicing your fingers yes but they were actually for protecting your hand from striking enemy shields. Slicing and chopping around was bound to make your knuckles smash against the enemy shield... bad new because you'd drop the sword. The crossguard and round pommel would strike the shield before your hand and allow you to keep swinging
>>
>>19469765
Because Angels:

Azazel

"1 Enoch portrays Azazel as responsible for teaching humans to make weapons and cosmetics, for which he was cast out of heaven. 1 Enoch 2:8 reads:

And Azazel taught men to make swords and knives and shields and breastplates; and made known to them the metals [of the earth] and the art of working them; and bracelets and ornaments; and the use of antimony and the beautifying of the eyelids; and all kinds of costly stones and all colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray and became corrupt in all their ways.
The corruption brought on by Azazel and the Grigori degrades the human race, and the four archangels (Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel) “saw much blood being shed upon the earth and all lawlessness being wrought upon the earth […] The souls of men [made] their suit, saying, "Bring our cause before the Most High; […] Thou seest what Azazel hath done, who hath taught all unrighteousness on earth and revealed the eternal secrets which were in heaven, which men were striving to learn." "
>>
guys
guys
guys
why are ts shaped like crosses??
>>
>>19469765
it's just how it was designed
it is just a piece of metal shaped and sharpened to kill people

don't read too much into it you retards
>>
>>19469765
to protect your hands m8. better to have a guard than to not have a guard.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.