[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Throw me a bone here /x/ Ok, so I'm tired of working in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: 8-2-bone-free-png-image.png (58KB, 1200x1728px) Image search: [Google]
8-2-bone-free-png-image.png
58KB, 1200x1728px
Throw me a bone here /x/

Ok, so I'm tired of working in an office and cities and shit. I'm considered "successful" (drive a new Camaro, got the newest phones, have a high level management position, whatever) but I don't care at all about any of it. Well, ok I like the car but anyway:

My passion is paranormal field research. How does one make this profitable enough to live off of? Like I want to have yarn and push-pins all over an oil-lantern-lit room in a cabin in the mountain forests charting alien abduction correlations and such. That's my dream, as dumb as it may be.

How does one achieve this? How do I "quit society" but still have money to operate day-to-day? Still have internet access, money to buy guns and ammo, food, etc??
>>
I feel like it helps to mention I don't have children, a wife, or any major responsibilities like that either to get in the way. Only need to provide for one, but I want it to be relatively comfortable. I don't want to be scraping together rabbits every third day so I can eat.
>>
>>19465306
Don't know what to tell you but it's what I'd like to do too. I'm the opposite though. Just a poorfag nobody that likes the paranormal.
>>
>>19465318
I'm willing to band together if it would make things easier on everyone. Teamwork could definitely help the research and loneliness probably. Also, maybe the profitability. If we had a group it would be easier to market as a "team". Also, different skills, etc
>>
>>19465326
Well shit, I'm down. Got lots of experience with /x/ stuff. No kids or anyone else to worry about but myself also. Making a video show and writing books seems the way to go.
>>
savings will get you the cabin life and the gadgets you'll need. for a paranormal group, get with like minded people to start a research group. make a YouTube show, a podcast, a documentary. do it with genuine intentions and better than others that end up creating crap no one's cares about because their thinking locks in in the future money.

anon, the paranormal genre is ripe for an effective podcast or show that will capture people's imagination like art bell and the vibe of shows like unsolved mysteries did in the 90s.

see the what's out there and create something more organic, if you want to share that is.
>>
File: 1501484181289.jpg (472KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1501484181289.jpg
472KB, 1920x1080px
>>19465343
Well if I can figure out a way to do this comfortably enough and not starve us to death, I'll recruit at some point
>>
>>19465370
Keep in touch then. I'm here most nights and on /out/ during the day except when I'm at work. Down to throw around some ideas in this thread if you like.
>>
File: wv2JnDl.jpg (275KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
wv2JnDl.jpg
275KB, 1024x640px
>>19465379
Yeah sure, why not. Brainstorming is a good way to flesh out a real sustainable idea.

I'm here very often
>>
>>19465416
Well, like I said a youtube/podcast series and books would be the way to do it for a living. Been thinking about moving to ID or MT for the low cost of living, /out/ and /x/ opportunities. Either that or getting an RV and touring the country researching material for a book or show.
>>
>>19465447
Would prefer MT over ID. RV is not a terrible idea but I think it would require a pretty steady source of income to really make it work. Would have to have already sold books or established a podcast. I've considered a podcast myself many times. I may begin doing one soon as a test run. If it tests well, I'll launch to a larger audience and figure out some ways to make it profitable without begging for money from listeners or bugging them with too many ads. I personally can't stand ads
>>
>>19465471
I hate ads too. I'd prefer to not break the listeners out of immersion just to shill a shitty product for money. I've got some experience with audio engineering and have been told a few times that I have a radio voice. Some passive or online based source of income would be the hardest part, I think.
>>
>>19465482

I'm also experienced with audio engineering. I'm a co founder of an independent record label, but it doesn't turn as much profit as necessary to cover costs of the endeavor. More of a hobby. Merchandise is one way that might work once the ball's rolling though, now that I think about it. That's what helped finance the label. We also have a clothing line that paid for touring...this might work..
>>
>>
>>19465490
Never even thought about that. Great idea, what kind of merchandise though? Shirts are easy but I don't think they would be all that profitable.
>>
>>19465507
They can be, we have lots of designs and buy in bulk so production is cheap. Then sell them at a mark up of course, but it does require a bit of a fan base. I know one artist that branded dabbing materials (I smoke weed but I don't dab so I don't know the names of the stuff). Really anything, but it helps to know the demographic that tunes in. You can tailor the merch to things they use anyway or would be interested in. Shirts are a staple, but maybe like plush dolls of cryptids and idk...stuff like vape accessories? What does /x/ do? They vape right? Just gotta do some market research and find products that fit the audience. Then a snazzy logo becomes easy once you have a good name. Slap it on things your followers like and they buy yours over the competition to help support without literally paying you cash. I understand where podcasts like LOPTL has patreon whatever that is and people support it expecting content as a return but I'd like to add a little more to it.

Maybe exclusive content as well, tours, idk. Merchandising is honestly looking like a good way to go with this the more I tihnk about it. The possibilities are endless. The only thing is that it can't be crap, has to be marketable. That comes from personal integrity mostly, besides the marketable part.
>>
File: 1446781502942.jpg (120KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1446781502942.jpg
120KB, 1024x683px
>>19465531
Also, an LLC is pretty cheap to create, then pretty much everything becomes a business expense. Especially if we travel in an RV. We open a credit line under the LLC, then write off just about everything as a business expense on taxes. Our clothes are our uniforms, our RV is our office, our meals are business meetings etc
>>
>>19465541
Any gear purchased that is used for business whatever that may be, is purchased on the company account and as long as we keep records (i.e. receipts) of this, we can write it off.
>>
>>19465531
>>19465541
>>19465549
Awesome ideas, I see what you mean. Used to be a salesman. Creating good content should be a priority then. Have to deliver what people want.
>>
>>19465662
Agreed. Content quality is primary. I'll think of some good sustainable formats to move towards
>>
File: 1492506115152.jpg (208KB, 1280x1559px) Image search: [Google]
1492506115152.jpg
208KB, 1280x1559px
If you do go down the youtube/general content creation route, one thing I would suggest would be to stay away from spoopy sfx and music all over the place in any attempt to dramatise things. I feel like people are fed up with all that bull honkey
>>
>>19465294
A veniune show along these lines would be magic. Syndicate and network meddling has ruined dozens of paranormal shows by trying to boost ratings with disingenuous elements in atte.pt to boost ratings. Paranormal topics aren't going to go aaay any time soon, so as long as you make genuine, authentic forays into the topic, you'll develop a fanbase. I would kill for an opportunity to jump into a project like that.
>>
File: 1502007283518.jpg (27KB, 640x698px) Image search: [Google]
1502007283518.jpg
27KB, 640x698px
>>19465774
Absolutely. I'm a consumer myself and I do not want sensationalism or fake dramatics. This will not be Ghost Adventures garbage. My endeavor will be to have a semi-serious (I'm a generally goofy and funny person) take on things. Genuine and no extra bullshit. Just the real deal stuff.

Clearly I'll have to have entertaining content though regardless so that will be tricky but I'm not going to be gimmicky with it.

And above all else, definitely non-political. I couldn't give two shits about any of that shit circus anyway
>>
>>19465789
Genuine*
>>
>>19465789
Yeah I'm thinking it won't be too hard once the ball's rolling to get help and I'll definitely need it at some point.

I just have to figure out how to make the move from this boring as fuck regular as lifestyle to that one without sacrificing everything I own.

It's too big of a gamble to just do it on a whim tomorrow. I have to have a solid plan first.
>>
>>19465814
is it possible to change from permanent to some kind of short term contract jobs. Just keep alternative source income if you don't have enough buffer to burn through in the initial months.

Or just start working on ideas and some initial content right now, so when you take the jump you wouldn't waste time on planning
>>
Learn to write great books
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.