[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the sages of /x/ please redpill me on Buddism? I have always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

Can the sages of /x/ please redpill me on Buddism?

I have always been heavily affected, psychologically, by things htat shouldn't concern me, the way other people live their life, other countries way of life, the news etc etc. I find myself basically overthinking everything and end up at a loss when trying to think why it's even worth living in such a fucked up world any more, let alone bring children into this as it's only going to get worse.
For some reason I see Buddism and it's teachings some way to help me deal with this, so please help me understand if/why I should avoid this and if so, how the fuck do you deal with life?

As a side note, is it just me or as a society are we just focusing on negativity to much these recent years? I swear to god it's gotten infinitely worse recently.
>>
I realise my reasons seem edgy or try hard but it genuinely distresses me and I need to change. I would greatly appreciate any information/advice
>>
>>19410321
>As a side note, is it just me or as a society are we just focusing on negativity to much these recent years?

It's a Hindu belief but it's currently Kali-yuga. It's not recent but society has been degenerating for a while. Technically speaking day by day it degenerates further.
>>
>>19410394
Woah, that's absolutely fascinating. At least what I can glean from a quick Wikipedia reading. Any more recommended reading about this sort of stuff?
>>
>>19410418
If you're looking to insight into the general basis of Hinduism, I would recommend reading the Bhagavad Gita. It's quite a nice read and you get a good summary of the idea behind it all. Hinduism shares a lot of concepts with Buddhism, with the main disagreement being Hinduism states that there is a self, or soul, and Buddhism denies it.

Otherwise, if you're strictly interested in Kali-yuga and the yugas in general, the Bhagavata Purana and Vishnu Purana both detail Kali-Yuga, but both of them are quite extensive and more advanced texts.
>>
>>19410321
A good start would be to meditate twenty minutes. Rise above your demons anon. If that doesn't work Jesus Christ is bro.
>>
>>19410467
Twenty minutes a day I meant
>>
>>19410475
I don't mean to sound like a retardation, but unfortunately it's unavoidable at this stage, just how the hell do you meditate? When I try I end up having a nap

>>19410457
Thank you very much anon
>>
>>19410490
Hahah whoops *retard
>>
>>19410490
I focused on my breathing and emptying my mind. Takes a little practice but let your thoughts flow by you until they stop, don't concentrate or feel anything towards any particular thought
>>
>>19410490
Also Alan watts has good guided meditation if you YouTube it, good for me when I first started
>>
>>19410321
Yes you are correct about the rise in negativity. Buddha said that to want is to die, so simply give up and imagine if you gave up everything and just wandered off one day and couldn't care less? Imagine a world where you are so carefree you could simply give them a little attention without losing your devil may care vibe. Just focus on the big g picture, what's important to everyone? Why does anyone really care? Don't! Don't fucking give a shit because your actually totally fine in a sea of anarchy and angry little minds
>>
>>19410579
You're*
>>
>>19410490
Acceptance of all things happening to you at the moment you want to meditate. Abandonment all fears, let go of all anxieties. Be in the moment. Then focus on whatever action you are wanting to take. Whether that be breathing, yoga, running, ect. You can meditate wherever and whenever. Just have to accept reality and abandon fears. As fear is a failure to accept reality.
>>
>>19410579
But you see if every one did that then there would be no point to it All. We all must experience things differently. And to want is an essential part of experiencing things.
>>
>>19410321
Jewish mind trick

Give up all your posessions goy

Fuck that. Get your money up lil homie. Its a scam.
>>
File: light.jpg (361KB, 1191x1701px) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
361KB, 1191x1701px
>>19410798
How can a ~3000 year old religious philosophy originating in India be a "Jewish" trick?
>>
Hello, OP! I agree with you on society's focus on negativity. It is no coincidence that has been the case, and unfortunately for people like us (those who are sensitive to it) it will only get worse in the months, years to come.

I will be frank because someone else was frank with me, when I described much of what you are. You are what most call an "empath", perhaps not in the commonly-understood emotional way, but empathetic to society, nature, collectives, etc. I am the same.

Your "overthinking" is your intuition. You probably realize most others do not think this way. That is because they are dumbed down to the energies you can feel. My advice from one to another: if you think something is the case... others around you think it, too. Trust in your thoughts. You are this way for a reason.

As far as Buddhism, I would suggest not falling into idol worship as so many Buddhists do. Look up the story of Saddhartha Guatama and realize the story of Buddha is a how-to guide. It is no coincidence his story relates to that of Jesus of Nazareth in many ways (ascetic, detachment, mastery of ego, humanity aid.)

These stories are implanted in our race's history for a reason. Take from it what resonates with you--and above all, I would suggest meditation. The East's focus on breath, introspection, and energy is something close-minded westerners rarely consider... and thus they never experience.
>>
File: 1499644747849.jpg (10KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1499644747849.jpg
10KB, 236x236px
>>19410321
Seriously though the left right paradigm of negative and positive are just cultural things, it just depends on the vibration you emit into the world when you get the feeling.

Anything that comes to you welcome it, why not? Face it head on and let it end on you're terms.
>>
File: image8.jpg (98KB, 600x535px) Image search: [Google]
image8.jpg
98KB, 600x535px
>>19410490

Depending on which zen school you ask, 'true' Meditation is an end, not a means to anything. The idea is to settle the internal grasping at thoughts/life/concepts though which most of your problems arise, it is FROM this settling that a totally 'in-the-present' state of mindfulness arises and not the other way around.

Sudden awakening is usually the method through which one enters into a 'meditative' state, but these realizations do not always entirely obliterate the ego, and thus you have to play around with several thought-experiments till you get tired of the rat race (which gurus know ultimately goes nowhere special) and you cease grasping at enlightenment altogether and BOOM

You meditate because there's nothing else to work on. Nothing else to "do"
>>
Thanks guys, this is all great stuff, I really appreciate it.
>>19410824
Thats really fascinating stuff. What's the deal with empaths though?
>>
>>19410321
Read the Baghavad Gita and the Tibetian Book of the Dead(Evan-Wentz edition) and thats buddhism 101 also read the gospels of Buddha.
>>
>>19410798
If people didnt love money so much and loved their family and countries more,the Jews would have never seized power.

Too late now they got nukes,only the Chinese can save the world now.
>>
>>19410321
Find a loophole in your brains. All this negative feedback comes from our survival instincts. It's easier to feed brain with "danger triggers" and get reaction in brain than feeding"positive triggers".

Think about following:
>bad news about hurricane
>negative survival trigger
>oh shit I gotta prepare!
>build bunker & feel secure
>news about riot
>oh shit!
>a loop created
This is roundabout how people feed from negative input.

Analyze yourself next time you look at news. Look at your surroundings and see where negative feedback is coming from. Take time to observe your behavior and understand the reasons behind indulging negative feedback. I personally read more often about war news than hospital got new funds stuff. The difference is I decoded this negative loop. Include this to your meditation.

It's also a way to manipulate masses. Feeding bad news is easier than good news. People get easily hyped and do their best to blame something or someone. Therefore governing force can divert attention to more easily manageable subject.
>terrorist attacks
>Mexican stealing our jobs
>fake news
>show must go on
>>
there's no point studying if you don't believe in reincarnation

if you simply believe that life ends at death, then you can just kill yourself and acheive the same nirvana ('blowing out') the buddha was after

the entire purpose of buddhism is to cease yourself, but the buddha was born in a time where everyone believed after life was simply another lifetime, then another then antoher infinitely. the buddha invented a series of steps to escape this cycle.

but without this beliefe in reincarnation, there is nothing to escape. so you can just suicide to escape life
>>
>>19410321

The problem isn't the world, the problem is your perceptions of it. Everything follows the cycle of growth and decay. Check your privilege and just accept things for what they are instead of letting desire and attachment rule you, homeslice.
>>
>>19411988
All good ideas the question is what will help me do this. I am well aware of what I have to do but now how to do it. Hence me asking
>>
>>19410457
Hinduism shares a lot of concepts with Buddhism, with the main disagreement being Hinduism states that there is a self, or soul, and Buddhism denies it.

i wouldnt say it disagrees with it, they just have differant views on the same experiance, same with daoism, its differant religons regions and cultures trying to explain somthing that cant be explained so have put it as clearly as possible a universive without concepts see it as it is withoutwords and a together ness a flow and a none duality, the gold for the braclet
>>
>>19411975
>there's no point studying if you don't believe in reincarnation

there is plenty of resons, samsara can be just the cycle of life and the futility of it and thus find meaning in finding god, when you relaise the "work to live to work to live to work to die" then that is enough to turn you mad

>if you simply believe that life ends at death, then you can just kill yourself and acheive the same nirvana ('blowing out') the buddha was after

no it is not the same at all

>the entire purpose of buddhism is to cease yourself, but the buddha was born in a time where everyone believed after life was simply another lifetime, then another then antoher infinitely. the buddha invented a series of steps to escape this cycle.

ceasing thoughts not yourself
>>
>>19410321
>redpill
No, because Buddhism is the ultimate blue pill.

1. You don't live in a matrix/simulation.
2. There isn't some grand conspiracy to cause suffering.
3. Unless you explicitly worked to piss someone off, nobody's after you.
4. Even someone that's after you is bullshitting themselves and won't feel fulfilled if they catch you.
5. Suffering comes from bullshitting yourself. Not even physical pain has to be such a bad thing if your mind is in the right place.

You're literally free to believe whatever you want to believe because peace is such a pervading force in the universe that no amount of human-sponsored suffering or war can ever take it away. Nothing gets bluer than being able to wake up in the morning and believe whatever you want to believe. It's literally a massive collective chill pill.
>>
>>19412895
>ceasing thoughts not yourself
'You' don't exist in buddhism. All that does truly exist is Buddha-nature, which conversely, you have. Buddhism is about cultivating this, to realize one's true Buddha-ness.

The Mind of One Buddha is the Mind of All Buddhas
>>
>>19410321
>warning: redpill

gautama was a fraud
>>
>>19412955
That's an absolute shit way to explain enlightenment. What kind of asshole misinterprets such an uplifting experience so badly?
>>
>>19412955
yes this i understand once you stop the thoughts and mental conditioning it becomes clear its very differant than "dude just kill yourslef"
>>
>>19412768

There's not a trick, you just knock it off with all the bullshit and delusions you feed and reinforce in yourself. Just stop, and be. It's a deeply personal thing, and I can no more tell you how to do it than I can tell you how best to comfortably clean your asshole after defecating. Part of the journey is figuring this shit out on your own, stop expecting answers to be given to you, and go find your own.
>>
>>19412979
>stop the thoughts
>stop
No, you stop the mental conditioning. The thoughts comes and go freely until all the conditioning is gone. Just don't get caught up in them.
>>
>>19413008
then the thoughts stop through effort towards one pointedness
>>
>>19412768
Now is the part where you do the work. Integrate this knowledge into your day to day life.
>>
Sage goes in all the fields
>>
>>19412895
>samsara can be just the cycle of life and the futility of it and thus find meaning in finding god, when you relaise the "work to live to work to live to work to die" then that is enough to turn you mad

you can't just invent new meanings of words because you don't believe in the original meaning. Samsara means the endless cycle of birth and rebirth

>no it is not the same at all

great argument

>ceasing thoughts not yourself

you literally know nothing about buddhism. you've got the fundamental principles completely wrong.
>>
>>19412974

Now now. What he said was important and true. It's not everything there is to say and know, not by a long shot, but it is a conclusion that many religions (especially Hinduism) and philosophies reach, if using different terminology for Buddha-nature.

It's important to distinguish "we are all Buddha-nature" from "we are all Buddha"; one is an all-pervasive essence, the other is a personification with properties that limit its pervasiveness.
>>
>>19412988

This is pretty true, but do realize that improper technique derived from damaged or poisoned thought-processes can build and convolute into answers that are self-defeating and destructive. There IS such an idea in Buddhism as bad, or dangerous, meditation.

We are social animals. It doesn't hurt to learn from each other. Just because we all carry a spark of the same divine perfection doesn't mean our very material brains will allow us to connect to that divinity through any easy means.

These negative conclusions can become plateaus or stepping stones to one's true enlightenment, but that's a very roundabout way of achieving understanding that might take longer than you have days to live.

Human progress being contingent upon predecessors isn't inherently evil or bad, y'know.
>>
>>19416279

The old or "proper" meanings can be lost through the game of intergenerational telephone.

Buddhism itself says that a new Buddha is not truly born until the last shred of the last Buddha's teachings have been lost and forgotten.

There is a type of erosion that comes from learning concepts from other people who learn concepts from other people.

It is not wrong at all to derive your own meaning from the shells of these concepts. You probably won't usually be right by doing so, but with enough thought and introspection, you can achieve the exact insights the Buddha did without any of his help.

This is not easy, however, and requires circumstances that you might call luck-based; like seeing the right things at the right time, when you are most sensitive and perceptive to them.
>>
Consider individuality for a moment. That which makes you you is precious. Now consider that which makes you God.

Understanding that you are playing the role that God chose for you is called shadowform.

There are parallels between this belief and other beliefs.

I can tell you what your spirit animal is, or you can understand that your physical body can be your spirit animal.

To understand that, you have to understand that doing nothing is still doing something.

The lack of individuality, understanding that you are a part of God, and mortal release are the things that I use to cope with the fact that I have no fucking life whatsoever.

That's my buddhism
>>
>>19410418
Just read Guenon and Evola
>>
>>19416749
So basically you're a larping hippy
>>
>>19416749
>my buddhism

this makes no sense
>>
>>19411820
>Read the Baghavad Gita and the Tibetian Book of the Dead(Evan-Wentz edition) and thats buddhism 101
>Being this stupid

Stop shilling your new age hippie syncretist nonsense. The baghavad gita is a Hindu scripture and the Tibetan book of the dead is vajrayana corruption of original Buddhism mixed with the Tibetan bon religion, dealing only with afterlife mythology and no actual important dhamma.

The ONLY authentic source of Gotama Buddha's teachings is the tripitaka, specifically the Pali Canon. Don't get caught up in details about death and realms of reincarnation, focus on the psychological and moral teachings, and apply them.

Don't use drugs to gain "greater understanding" - this is a basic violation of the five precepts and self-control. Alan Watts was harmful in this respect.
>>
>>19411975
Reincarnation is not rebirth. New beings emerge, but they are not directly reincarnated from, or totally separate from, previous beings. There is no "soul" to be reincarnated in buddhism, that is a fundamental principle of anatta. Kamma is the only thing that carries on.

I always see people saying this crap in Buddhist threads. Buddha even specifically addresses the possibility of kamma and rebirth being unreal, and says one should live a virtuous life regardless.

You seem obsessed with the "supernatural" aspects of Buddhism. Fixating on life after death is not living in the present moment.
>>
>>19412955
Buddha-nature is a Mahayana teaching that is not universal. The self is without permanent reality, yes, but the five aggregates that compose it are not.

Nor is nibbana simply "nonexistence" as some here suggest. It is not existence. It is not nonexistence. It is not both, or neither. It is not meant to be conceived in language, but achieved by practice.
>>
Im the same guy who always says buddhism is just hinduism without believing in the gods.

The reward on hinduism being the sac-cid-ānanda-vigraha.
And for buddhism, the nirvana; or fusing with the brahman
>>
>>19410321

OP I like your post because you describe exactly how I feel. You sound neurotic, like myself. The world is indeed completely insane and the media makes it x100 worse.

I have no real answers for you. I believe that Buddhism comes closest as a method/doctrine for finding "inner peace". I went on a Vipassana retreat which was helpful but keeping a daily, consistent meditation habit as well as being constantly mindful in your actions is what is required.

I hope you find some form of peace. Well, as much as is possible to attain in this messed up, degenerate world
>>
>>19410798
Unlike every other religion, Buddhism requires basically no money whatsoever. It celebrates self and being one with inner peace, nature, and the universe Your cringey comment only shows that you've been heavily influenced by 4chan.
>>
I recommend the book lotus effect for beginners of meditation.
It teaches you how to realize that the natural state of mind is blissful, radiant and infinitely spacious, while being always present.
>>
>>19417463
I hope you find peace too brother
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.