[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /x/ opinion on Alan Watts? I was listening to an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: AlanWatts_Bio11.png (852KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
AlanWatts_Bio11.png
852KB, 800x800px
What's /x/ opinion on Alan Watts? I was listening to an audio book 'Alan Watts Teaches Meditation' and homeboy seems to know his shit. Is he a fraud?
>>
hes alright, has some good points, but is ultimately lacking in spiritual knowledge. only better than your average motivational speaker and worse than a true guru really.

that being said he is smart enough to tell you not to take him seriously.

guy died an alcoholic after all
>>
>>19385332
Came here to post basically this. He seemed to have a serious take on eastern philosophy and spirituality (serious, as in it wasn't a misinterpretation, like we're used to seeing when western laymen pick up eastern practices) and was actually knowledgeable about it.
>>
>>19385296
>Professional "entertainer"
>>
>>19385296
Pro-tip: listen to every teacher with an open mind, see if you agree or disagree, form your own opinion, then move onto the next guru. Repeat until you realize all the knowledge you need is inside of you.
>>
>>19385611
this
>>
>>19385332
>>19385296
>>19385559
>>19385611
He teaches Zen Buddhism and as such there are no bullshit talks about your third eye or any other shit. Have you ever read a book about zen buddhism and what it actually means? It's a philosophy. He is a philosopher, not your great "spiritual leader" who gives you information about "chakras" or any other bullshit like that.

If you are interested in Zen buddhism he is very good fellow.

But if you expect some of your new age bullshit and "spiritual knowledge" you might read some internet bullshit websites and wank off. You fucktards don't even understand anything...
>>
>>19386492
Ur not very zej, anon.
>>
>>19385296

Him, Terrance McKenna, Rahm Daas and Eckhart Tolle helped me deal with my existentialism
>>
I'm skeptical af, but I think he's okay. He made some of the more practical parts of Eastern mysticism accessible to Americans.

His work taught me one of the greatest spiritual practice that I have. That is to imagine the body absorbing pain like a sponge instead of fighting it.
>>
>>19385296
When he pronounced the g in Gnosticism I knew he was a con artist.
>>
>>19385296
Meditation (which causes lasting effects) is not as simple as he makes it out to be. If you want to meditate effectively there is no way around it, you need to know the nuances of how the mind works, so you can attain mastery over it.

I would recommend starting with the Yoga Sutras. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better system to start off with. It may appear daunting at first but its not. Even at the beginning it says Yoga boils down to two things: abhyasa (constant practice) and vairagya (dispassion towards sensory experiences).

Heres a decent starting point, good luck.

http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10104.htm
>>
>>19386910
Meditation is absolutely as simple as he makes it out to be. The other stuff is weighing the practice down unnecessarily.
>>
>>19386910
Meditation is simple, what are you smoking nigger?
>>
File: smug.png (294KB, 560x413px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
294KB, 560x413px
>>19385296
Alan Watts is the illest. Smart man who knew how to get down.
>>
>>19386492
Who are you even arguing against? What are you even saying? Are you just spouting shit because you are bored?
>>
>>19386980
>>19386997

The meditation I speak of is the kind that causes liberation from the perpetual cycle of birth, suffering and death.

Anything less than that is a temporary relaxation technique and often misconstrued as meditation. Even in Buddhism, which is derivative from the Vedas, considers meditation (samatha and vipassana) to be an advanced "completion" practice which requires extensive preliminary conditioning of the mind before it can be undertaken. Yoga is no different, the first word is "atha" which literally translates to "now (having completed the preliminary measures)."
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.