[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kabylion I know some of you guys love this book, so I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

Kabylion

I know some of you guys love this book, so I've decided to look into it. I'm putting together an Amazon order and want a copy of this in that order, but I'm not sure which version to get, or if it matters much. There are multiple reprints, unabridged versions, 200 page ones, 100 page ones, etc. Can /x/ point me to the "preferred" one?

Same question for the Corpus Hermeticum.

Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place, I heard about it here, so figured here was where I should ask. I also did not see a related thread up, or I would have asked those folks.

Thanks
>>
Don't waste your time, kybalion is all bullshit.
>>
>>19384895
No, it's not.
>>
>>19384905
It's all vague and irrelevant with no real practical application. Also has nothing to do with real hermeticism (the corpus hermeticum being actually genuine)
>>
>>19384895
I guess I'd like to hear what you'd recommend then (and I'm hesitant to ask why you think it's crap, but I am curious). I'm pretty set on that one, Corpus Hermeticum, and Initiation into Hermetics, I just want to know if there's any/much difference between the many versions.

Currently reading Secret Teachings of All Ages and finding a lot that fits with the beliefs I held even before starting down this path. Not certain yet those other books are even related, but that's the brief backstory

*Kybalion. fingers got ahead of my brain
>>
>>19384909
It's like a course primer, an outline, gives the basic details of what the searcher is about to embark upon. Regardless, it still has enough knowledge of the cosmic laws that if one has the mind to receive, one can apply the knowledge ASAP.

Although at that point, the reader is most likely already an adept but doesn't realize it.
>>
I'm not really looking for an argument as to whether these books are crap, I'll decide that myself. I just want to know which versions are preferred by anyone who might have a preference.
Thanks
>>
>>19384924
Yes, this is how I felt when reading the Kybalion and further Hermetic texts, I believe this means you're already on the path and have at least a base understanding. Reading these books are more of a refresher for you.

The Kybalion is not crap.
>>
>>19384928
Cool, so maybe that one more rehashes what I already know/have read. I assume you're the same guy that's recommending the Corpus Hermeticum (over the others). Any thoughts as to which version, or is one as good as another?

My main thought is that Original scripts are sometimes a bit more difficult to read, but I'd much rather read an original script at a slower pace than one that's been translated/updated poorly and lost something. . . get my gist?
>>
Also, since some of you are apparently on a similar path, what did you find most helpful as a 2nd step, if not these?
Thanks again. good info
>>
Well for $3-4 each maybe I'll just grab any old copy of these and see what they're like, even if they end up being too basic or just a refresher
>>
>>19384909
>It's all vague and irrelevant with no real practical application

Its a basic introduction to Hermeticism.

Much of what is in the book has been modernized by String Theorists.
>>
>>19385144
. . .or crap
>>
File: 51XESf2i-eL._AC_US218_.jpg (13KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
51XESf2i-eL._AC_US218_.jpg
13KB, 218x218px
>>19385158
OP again
Of it's connection to string theory I'm quite aware. I'm an engineer with a strong background in quantum physics and find this stuff fascinating.

2 great books on the subject are "God is Not Dead" by Goswami, and "Modern Physics and Ancient Faiths" by Barr. Science has led me to a great many truths, and down paths to still others, including the ones I now seek.

What my background doesn't tell me, however, is which version of Corpus Hermeticum might be most useful, i.e., what do the missing 100 pages of one version contain (assuming it's not due entirely to book and font size differences).
>>
Why is there always one fedora in every Hermeticism thread that tries to shill against it and muddy the waters by proclaiming the literal interpretation of the transmutation meme? It's like a mouse stuck in a trap, trying to convince the other ones they should be stuck with it.
>>
I would suggest any old copy of the Kybalion. There's only one version. Maybe look for the one with the nicest cover and binding? That's what I would do.

For the actual corpus hermetica. I would look for a copy with the discourse to asclepius as well. The page number difference is usually just commentary. If you wanna spring for a nice edition, I would suggest GRS Mead's Thrice Greatest Hermes: Studies jn Hellenistic Theosophy and Gnosis. Has a good amount of background albeit somewhat dry but by someone who has actually worked with the material as opposed to some mere classics scholar.
>>
>>19385506
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for
>>
>>19385469
quick sidenote, since I had meant to give brief details and forgot, the Goswami book I mentioned here aims to prove the existence of God (step by step) through string theory and known math/science. It gets very technical, but is a great read for anyone who might be interested in approaching similar ideas from the other direction.
>>
>>19385490
>>19385490
> literal interpretation of the transmutation meme?

Where do I find dragon farts and unicorn tears? That books full of shit ;^)
>>
>>19385506
>dry
As in dull?
>>
I agree that the Kybalion is not canon, still worth the read or skim. Easy to read.

Annoying about the Hermetica is the old timey bible on steroids english by mead. Thou shall hast lest bla bla.
>>
>>19385852
Is there a version that's easier to read?

Too late I guess, I already ordered a cheap version of Kybalion with a nice-looking cover and the full version of Mead's Thrice-Greatest Hermes, upon the suggestion of the only guy here who answered my question.

Sounds like both are worthwhile, and I'm no stranger to dry books. Even Secret Teachings gets a bit old-timey in places, but if the content is interesting enough I'm willing to read just about anything.
>>
>>19385949
ISBN : 978-1-61427-031-7
Is a great version of the kybalion. A lot of spacing at all borders, easy on the eyes. I have to admit I'm not aware who made the best translations. Same problem with the Emerald Tablets too, best to get a multitranslation, there are multiple translations done by all kinds of people, Newton etc.
>>
>>19385949
Mead is okay, his comments are mostly in plain english and most of it is readable, but sometimes he just decides to be an ass about it :

"For if it hath been shown that no thing can [inactive] be, how much less God? Fpr of tjere's aught he doth not make (if it be law to say), He is imperfect. But if He is not only not active, but perfect [God], then He doth make all things.

And if thou wouldst in practice understand [this work], behold what taketh place with thee desering to beget. Yet this is not like unto that, for He doth not enjoy."
Shit like that, annoying, but possible to read.
>>
>>19386113
Thanks. Amazon tells me that's the 2011 Reprint of the 1905 Edition. The one on my list was the 2016 Reprint of the 1908 Edition. I have to assume there's not a whole lot of difference, but if mine turns out unreadable for whatever reason I'll look into the one you suggested.
>>
>>19386144
>Fpr of tjere's
For if there's
>>
>>19386153
The Kybalion should be easy to read. It's the old stuff that's more difficult.
>>
>>19386144
Thanks for the info. I assumed that is what was meant, and it does make for some slow going, but is not a show-stopper by any means. Out of curiosity, is there a version you prefer? Or rather, one that keeps the ideas intact but "updates" the wording a bit.

I'm not sure I know of many books with quite so many versions to choose from as these couple
>>
>>19386164
I meant "unreadable" more in the sense that perhaps the font is entirely illegible or something of that nature
>>
These days Audiobooks rule.

Find it on youtube.
>>
>>19386204
Nope, those aren't for me. I sit at a computer most of my days for work anyway, the last thing I want to do is stare at a screen in my free time too. Plus youtube has far too much garbage to wade through. And with audiobooks I tend to lose focus, or even just fall asleep. Perhaps on my work commute I could listen in spurts, but I really prefer- and learn best with- something solid in my hands, like a good old book
>>
File: babbythoth.jpg (63KB, 593x650px) Image search: [Google]
babbythoth.jpg
63KB, 593x650px
>>19386181
You're welcome, I wish someone told me otherwise I would have looked around a bit more.

The Kybalion? I don't think there's many versions out there since authored in english afaik. As I said, not aware if we can do better for the hermetica.

You can read online too btw
>sacred-texts.com
for everything
>gnosis.org
Gnosticism & bits of Hermeticism
http://www.gnosis.org/library/hermet.htm
>alchemywebsite.com
Rare alchemical hermetic texts
>http://www.ritmanlibrary.com/
Good mix of rare stuff too
>http://www.hermetics.org/library/Library_Hermetic.html
All things hermes.

Have fun.
>>
>>19386144
>Shit like that, annoying, but possible to read.
>>19386228
It's a shame Myatt hasn't finished his translation.
>>
File: 1501280154401.png (119KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1501280154401.png
119KB, 396x385px
>>19386188
Rarely an issue., that's what Jungs Liber Novus is for.
>>
File: MuppetOneDay11.jpg (92KB, 500x657px) Image search: [Google]
MuppetOneDay11.jpg
92KB, 500x657px
>>19386228
Again, thanks. I've browsed a few of those, but a few others are new to me.

And thanks to everyone else who contributed too. I really appreciate it.

I'll see you around. Cheers
>>
File: Thoth002.png (310KB, 429x566px) Image search: [Google]
Thoth002.png
310KB, 429x566px
>>19386421
Hope you'll find what you're looking for.
>>
>>19386226

I listen to audio all the time on youtube when I am doing other stuff.

Or books on my phone when iam working
>>
>>19384895
this
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.