[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When you die, it's like going to sleep forever. You don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 27

When you die, it's like going to sleep forever.
You don't have a brain any more. You can't think.
It's the same as going to sleep forever.

There is no evidence of an afterlife. There is no evidence that you will "move on" elsewhere.

You are gone, and eventually you will be entirely forgotten.

I'm not being an atheist fedoralord. The idea that death is THE END is much scarier than anything else on this board - but it's the truth.
>>
>>19379930
And that's why we're all scared.
>>
What about the hard problem of consciousness? It has philosophers and neuroscientists bewildered. I even saw a thread on /sci/ were many agreed you could reproduce consciousness in a water pipe system that mirrored the brain's. How can people be so gullible. Awareness itself is a major sign of the afterlife.
>>
>>19379930
I do kind of agree, but also I don't understand how we would be experiencing this now, remembering this moment and interaction, if we just return to nothingness when we die. It would be as if it never happened because there is nothing f you left to remember it. So why do we still?
>>
Or you realize the brain is simply a mechanism of coalescing the spirit with the physical world. Death is simply the end of that connection but certainly not the definitive end of "you".
>>
>the end
Death is only the beginning.
>>
>>19379930
>but it's the truth.
Retard anon claims he knows unknowable truth.

Sages are out in force today you fagg0t
(_))lllllD
>>
>>19379930
If you look at it with a hardline materialist thought then yes, it would be the end. Honestly I believe no one really knows.
>>
>>19379930
>There is no evidence, There is no evidence....

Nice evidence you have to support your claim.... why would I put my afterlife in jeopardy because of your "feelings"?
>>
>>19379947
>I even saw a thread on /sci/ were many agreed you could reproduce consciousness in a water pipe system that mirrored the brain's
Explain what on Earth this means
>>
>>19379970
I remember when I was a 13 year old girl who made posts like this lmao
>>
>>19379930
Yep, the big dirt nap. Think of death kids, it's a comin.
>>
File: matrix_pod-1.jpg (34KB, 597x357px) Image search: [Google]
matrix_pod-1.jpg
34KB, 597x357px
When you die the Demiurge traps your soul and returns you to the Matrix.
>>
>>19379955
Thank you Imotep
>>
>>19379930
sad for you that you think this way, but be sure the lights will stay lit for eternity. If you want it or not...life is pi....3,141592..
>>
>>19380329
Demiurge is a meme, it doesn't exist
>>
>>19380323
Instead of neurons and chemicals it would be water pipes and steel balls(?). It would be a replica of the human brain that is an analogue water pipe system. Supposedly, consciousness would be an emergent property of said system.
>>
File: 1500253431766.png (306KB, 867x1217px) Image search: [Google]
1500253431766.png
306KB, 867x1217px
>>19380352

The Leontocephaline isnt a Meme
>>
>>19380363
>Making balls float in a pipe is the same as human conciousness
I am WAY too retarded to understand meme science
>>
>>19380363
Those dumbasses are thinking about neurons and brain system.
Consciousness is something separate from the physical, the brain only managing it to proxy the entire body.
>>
>>19379930
>When you die, it's like going to sleep forever.

Except when you sleep your brain is still active. Whether you remember your dreams or not you still have them while you sleep. Your brain just doesn't shut off.

So "going to sleep forever" would be more like being within a dream state for untold amounts of time. Which if you can go lucid would be pretty much an ideal Heaven.
>>
File: ?.png (12KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
12KB, 160x160px
>>19379930
How do you know all this, have you died in the past?
>>
>>19379930
Consider Epicurus' argument against fear of death:

'Thus that which is the most awful of evils, death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist.'

Simply said: it's impossible to be conscious of being dead. But this still doesn't take away most people's fear. We generally fear the uncertainty more than we fear the experience of death. Neverending darkness? Heaven/hell? Reincarnation? Nobody can be sure about what the other side has to offer...and that's a key insight.

To totally overcome the fear of death, all you have to do is lose everything you have in life. It's really easy. Sell your stuff, throw your money away, give the finger to your friends and family and...tada!...now you're looking forward to death!
>>
File: theywishyouwereright.jpg (49KB, 515x215px) Image search: [Google]
theywishyouwereright.jpg
49KB, 515x215px
>>19379935
Yup.
>>
>>19380555
I have been to "all I own is my breath" and I yet valued life.
>>
>>19379930
I agree completely.
But, if knowing your death is THE END detracts from your life you should press the skip button and kill yourself. Really, living afraid of death is pointless since it WILL get to you and you WILL die, there is literally nothing you can do about it.
I'm not saying "DUDE LIVE LIFE FOR THE MOMENT LMAO GET DRUNK GET FUCKED GET STDS FUCK GUYS FUCK WOMEN FUCK 10 PEOPLE AT ONCE DRINK AND SMOKE EVERYTHING", I mean just live your fucking life and accept that your existance will come to an end.
What I want to say is, just try to make most out of your life, since its the only one you got just don't go overbaord.
>>
I agree that there is no concrete evidence of life after death. I'm an atheist who has seen things that I don't understand which make me believe in an afterlife.
>>
>>19379930
>There is no evidence therefore there's nothing.

Look OP, I made magic, there was no evidence of me before this post, but now you have this post as evidence.

Tomorrow you might have evidence of something new. But it probably won't help you stop being retarded.
>>
There is overwhelming evidence of an afterlife, just no proof. They are different things.

An afterlife is something we can't prove until we've been there ourselves. Evidence of NDEs and White lights and judgment seats and he'll visits are so plentiful that you could never contain them.

Now some very very prominent scientists are starting to assert non-local consciousness and it's all very real.
>>
>>19380572
Probably because you still wanted to achieve things. I was kinda trolling with my advice. It's for the hopeless.
>>
even if there wasnt an after life, that means the universe is random and the i will be born in the exact same way, maybe a different universe or timeline but if the universe doesnt have an afterlife then thwres a 100% chance ill be born again as my baby self as soon as i die
>>
>>19380555
>not fearing death = looking forward to death
Interesting...
>>
>>19380593
What does this post even mean
Fucking neck yourself you absolute homo, you sound like a child
>>
I LIKE TO
>>
>>19380681
Reported to the FBI.
>>
>>19380617

That's a wishful way of thinking but you don't know that. There is a chance you may be but there is also the chance you won't be. Ever.
>>
>>19379930
But you have a brain when you sleep too, brah.
>>
>>19380703
2 spooky7me
>>
Nice claims now prove them
>>
>>19379930
>do I spend whatever remaining life I may have working towards my life goals which may never get accomplished thanks to dying before I achieve them, thus rendering them basically pointless, or do I just focus on fulfilling in-the-now goals and sit around perpetually angry at myself for not bothering with my true, long term, lifelong wishes
>>
File: 76ac1a0f.jpg (456KB, 800x1239px) Image search: [Google]
76ac1a0f.jpg
456KB, 800x1239px
>>19379930
When you die you can't move but you are totally aware and can hear everything everybody says, until you get buried then you sleep for a long period of time but tou it seems just like a nap from 13:00 to 16:00, then you wake up and you face your actions. now go to sleep buddy your soul is eternal .
>>
>>19379930
If there is no brain which exists after death, then there is no brain to confirm there is nothing that occurs after death.
>>
>>19380337
correction
life is phi 1.6180339....

even stephen hawkings implies that there had to be some sort of intelligent design for the universe to come to existence.
>>
>>19380854
you have the rest of the after life to accomplish all your long term goals
>>
>>19380453
at this point I've lost count of how many times I've lived and died
>>
time doesnt apply the same after you die

so eternity/forever is sort of a misnomer. it just feels like forever but it could really be an instant, you wouldnt know because youre not conscious.
>>
Time is the measure of objects through space. Since you are no longer conscious "you" don't perceive this definition of time. You become an eternal signature that time etched into nothingness.
>>
>It's the same as going to sleep forever.
I really hope I won't have a nightmare.
>>
File: 1482201998724.png (220KB, 556x646px) Image search: [Google]
1482201998724.png
220KB, 556x646px
>>19379930
Anon, what's scarier is there being no end. Imagine being eternal, unable to end, just going on forever and ever. That terrifies me even more. Death is a gift, not a curse.

>mfw thinking about this shit
I got that weird feeling in the pit of my stomach again
>>
>>19379930

>When you die, it's like going to sleep forever.

No it's not, you'll see.
>>
>>19379930
You can't get out of that loop because of the ego.
It's perfectly scientific to assume that you would work as part of the universe once you're dead.

Let your individuality go, that's really the only requirement for eternal life.
I bet it does feel something, to be everything. Imagine perfect harmony.
>>
We werent promised an afterlife but we also werent promised that it would be eternal nothingness for all we know its eternal suffering or an empty room I just want to be reassured that atheism is the truth
>>
>>19382040
I can assure you that Atheism is the furthest thing from Truth.
>>
>>19379930
>There is no evidence of an afterlife. There is no evidence that you will "move on" elsewhere.
There's no scientific evidence that there isn't an afterlife either.

Some things that can't be proven are nevertheless true. If there is and can be no evidence either supporting or opposing a position, you simply believe or disbelieve in it for reasons other than evidence.
>>
>>19381655
Hideous! Death is a curse, not a gift. The eternity that scares you is what many people long for most. Perhaps you should kill yourself and leave more room for the people who actually want to live.
Alternatively, consider this question: do you really want to cast a judgement of execution on all mankind?
>>
It's the fenomal focuses on dreaming, an evoluted mind all the possibilities of feel the "freedom" or just it's the eternal darkness that you've never ever imagined.
>>
>>19382665
>The eternity that scares you is what many people long for most
The grass is greener on the other side.
Without at least a risk of death, life is meaningless. It's death which gives meaning to life, as evil gives meaning to good, ugliness to beauty, sadness to joy, pain to pleasure.
We have needs because we can die. Our needs teach us to strive for things. Once we know to strive for our needs, we continue striving even when we are currently in need of nothing. From this tendency of striving without need we learn how to want things.
To live forever one must have no needs, without needs one cannot know how to strive, without knowing how to strive one cannot know how to want.
To live without wanting is to live without purpose, to live without purpose is to not live at all.
>>
Honestly I've always believed the soul leaving the body is such a powerful release of energy that it trancends time and space, and the occurance is so dramatic that you could be reborn in another place, i another time in an entire other universe or even simply be born again on earth as any type of life, even another human

Its a completly random and unpredictable process
>>
>>19379930
It all depends if "you" are a body, or a brain. If you are, yes, then your ego and sense of self is gone -- everything is. If the essence of a person is non-materialistic, then it is reasonable to think that in the same way matter cannot be created or destroyed, that this transcendent "life force" plays by similar rules.

If everything in existence is only recycled from other, atomically decomposed things, why can man's soul not act the same?
>>
>>19379935
exactly.
>>
>>19379930
Anon, in this world where everyone wonders since small why everyone behaves like a demon and why everyone seems to be a hypocritical actor that says things he doesn't really believe (kids perceive these things) there probably is nothing.

Just kidding:

1. Majority of the population are demons, religions are devil worship.
2. God is the great Dragon talked about in the Apocalypse.
3. Jesus is the devil.
>>
Ahhhhh, I'm having an existential crisis
>>
>>19380593
wtf lol....
>>
>>19380326
He did make a claim without actually knowing for sure. How can he know death is the end its like being certain that there is nothing after. you have to die to find out. Therefore, unkowable. who is a 13 year old grill now
>>
>>19379930
Yup. Sucks, don't it?
>>
>>19379949
How does "we're all going to stop existing eventually" prevent us from knowing what's going on in the present? Pretty massive non sequitur.
>>
>>19380905
No, he does not, you lying sack of shit.
>>
>>19379935
yeah, and why we have almost daily afterlife threads
>>
>>19380854
I developed this exact same conflict when I seriously started to doubt the existence of an afterlife. I knew that no matter what I did, I'd regret not doing something else. No matter what I did, I'd be miserable. It's a conflict that I never resolved.

Atheists are full of shit when they say things like "Knowing you only have one life will drive you to make the most of it and do everything you want!" No. That's not how it works. All it did to me was paralyze me with indecision and depression. And in any case, I think if a person's goals and desires can be fulfilled in one human lifetime, it's because their desires and goals are small and boring.

People who try to glorify atheism and say how GREAT it is that there's no afterlife are fucking insufferable. They often don't realize that "God is dead" was meant as a lamentation, not an exultation, and half of them probably wouldn't know the meanings of either of those words. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who, if they became an atheist, would *hate* being an atheist and wish that they were wrong. All I ever seem to find is the "I'm so glad that death exists" kind of atheist. Maybe it's because the people like me are too busy being depressed to make themselves known.
>>
>>19384302
Hawking is sympathetic to the simulation hypothesis, which is literally intelligent design.
>>
>>19380447
this guy gets it
>>
>>19382812
>It's death which gives meaning to life
No. It's life that gives meaning to life. I have never once said anything like "You know why I enjoy watching this beautiful sunset while eating some delicious cake? Because one day I won't exist anymore. Thank Darwin for death, because otherwise the sunset wouldn't look nice and the cake would taste like shit! In fact, I hope I die in ten minutes, because that would make the sunset and cake extra meaningful!"

>To live without wanting is to live without purpose
Right. That's why no one on Earth is a billionaire, because whenever someone gets enough money that they don't want for anything, they throw it all away, because they'd rather work their asses off all the time but still never get what they want.

>to live without purpose is to not live at all.
Atheism/materialism precludes the very existence of purpose. Under the atheist worldview, purpose is objectively impossible.
>>
File: IMG_3574.jpg (20KB, 425x446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3574.jpg
20KB, 425x446px
>>19379930
No it isn't you FUCKING edgelord.
I'm guarantee I'm smarter than you and I say you've been conned i to thinking this glorious shining world is the only world or that your personal journey is strapped to one world. There are many worlds and many personal journeys ahead for each individual soul. Fucking grow up, I'd LOVE to die! I KNOW it isn't the end
>>
>>19379930
Lol must suck to believe that huh? I don't feel sorry for you, you'll be fine after death but with that mentality you won't like it.
>>
>m-muh evidence...
>>
>>19384392

This. Atheists are full of shit about death. They may be right, but nothing they say is comforting.

The loudmouths among them either celebrate, gloss over, or accept nonexistence like it's no big deal.

The proper response to learning you face eternal Oblivion, destruction of the self and all your memories, aside from losing most of those you love and care about shouldn't be "oh, well. It's just natural. Move over so future unborn will have a chance."

We should be making frenzied progress toward storing people in suspension, lowering the cost for everyone, working toward the day they can be revived and their bodies fixed. We should be curing age so at least the primary "natural cause" of death and damnation no longer exists.

I get why we're not, since most of society believes in an afterlife. But the atheists are no better, and are actually worse, because they know full well what's coming and they want to do fuck all about it.

They pat us on the heads like good children when we worry about death, the same as the priests, and then say we should accept becoming nothing. Maybe even celebrate it.

Fuck everything about that, and fuck them.

I'm fully planning having my body in cryonics after I die. It's a longshot, but it's better than the absolute guarantee I will never exist again.
>>
File: Its time.jpg (501KB, 1000x1211px) Image search: [Google]
Its time.jpg
501KB, 1000x1211px
>>19379930
>implying I will not be transported to my waifu after death

haha, I pitty you and your choice
>>
>>19379930
Seeking the truth is like crossing a valley my friend. The descent is easy, and soon you're very, very low. But if you keep pushing up the other side - the hard side - you'll make it back up to a place of happiness.
>>
>>19380447
>Which if you can go lucid would be pretty much an ideal Heaven.

not if said dream is a nightmare
>>
>>19380734
>>19380617
>>19380617
if the Universe were random as you say, how in bloody hells would you be reborn as yourself again?
>>
>>19380734
Not the guy but this is also something you don't know. I hate this two sided coin shit.
>>
>>19380854
This is why people have children my guy. It is in a way immortalising yourself through genes
>>
actually to know that everything will end sometime is the greatest comfort in my life
>>
>>19380593
>there was no evidence of me before this post, but now you have this post as evidence.

MEME

posts as "Anonymous"
>>
>>19380877
source?
>>
>>19384392
Honestly, a lot of the atheists I've met that have this outlook and mindset either really hate themselves or their lives. They long for death because they are miserable. Its a nihilistic soup of depression. They feel awful so they wish that everybody else should feel the same way. It is like an elderly person feeling content that they will go to Heaven when they die as they've believed their entire lives and an atheist has come in with "Ha, you're an idiot. There is no life after death!" Mind you, the religious do this as well sometimes. Just let people believe what they fucking well want to believe.
>>
>>19384668
Except that if you think about it for more than a few seconds, you realize that it's complete bullshit.
>>
File: sly.jpg (44KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
sly.jpg
44KB, 400x300px
>>19379930
All that text just to say your not intelligent enough to grasp the wondrous complexity of life or even come to the realization that we're still just learning about the universe around us like toddlers, but here you are got it all figured out from moms computer room eh? You lack enthusiasm for knowledge. Don't give up hollowman we'll see you on the other side.
>>
>>19384511
I can't help but laugh at that
>>
>>19379930
I have a condition, which I do not wish to talk much about (mainly, it refers to my heart).

Anyway, lately, I've felt pretty bad, and the thought of death and depression looms over me as it did in years past.

But now things have taken a turn for the worse. Everything is going to hell at my company, it may file for bankruptcy, and not only am I in debt but I may also lose my job.

I've lately felt a "dark presence" glaring at me whenever I'm not looking at "it". It only shows up when I'm about to sleep and it's making me really tired.

In addition to that, I've had nightmares for the past month that follow the same pattern.

Usually I end up alone in a very dark place where no light can reach, and I can't see what's following me trying to reach me. The anxiety is unfathomable, I wake up with my heart being loud and fast, usually sweating a lot... though this last condition is mostly related to my heart problems, it has gotten worse lately.

Am I suffering from Schizophrenia or Demonic Torment?

Please help me. I don't want to go out like this.
>>
>>19384795
>your not intelligent

hmmm...
>>
>>19379930
To me that actually makes death less scary.

Why does the idea of nothing scare so many people? How is nothing scary? Is your ego so big you can't handle becoming nothing?
>>
File: 1500928571214m.jpg (84KB, 1024x583px) Image search: [Google]
1500928571214m.jpg
84KB, 1024x583px
>>19384891
Exactly keep hmmm'ing friendo maybe eventually a spark will light up that barren grey matter you were gifted.
>>
Death is beautiful if you look at it with a different sort of mind
>>
>>19384891
Wait let me guess...

>>19384931
>keep hmmm'ing

Hmmm...
>>
>>19379930
You can also use it to combat other feelings. It helps me slow down.
>>
>>19379930
Gay thread

Infinite probabilty
Infinite dimension
Infinite time
Infinite space/energy

Eventually you wake up. It's autistic to believe otherwise. Although you will probably be a jumbled mess in extreme agony.
>>
>>19384885
anyone?
>>
>>19380776
>proving a negative claim
>>
>>19384885
Hoping you're trolling. If not, my feels go to you
>>
>>19384885
it's probably stress, but you should still see a doctor or a shrink
talk to a family member or a friend about it, just to get things off your chest, talking about it with some anons doesn't have the same effect
>>
>>19384558
settle down and drink a glass of water, guy
>>
>>19385081
>>19385081
I guess your feels will go out to me then, I wish I were ''roleplaying'' as most people here say.

>>19385111
I'll have to try that, sadly I live in a 3rd world shithole so getting to a doctor isn't as simple as it should be....
>>
>>19384885
psychic vampire in ya loft get your garlic out
>>
I like sleeping, doesn't sound like a problem to me
There are a billion things worse than death and you choose to be scared of death
Idiot
>>
File: 69634638[1].jpg (97KB, 1000x381px) Image search: [Google]
69634638[1].jpg
97KB, 1000x381px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDr_SRhJs80

I'm not the type of guy who reads poetry (or anything really), but this one really resonated with me
>>
File: end of the world.jpg (37KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
end of the world.jpg
37KB, 1280x720px
>>19379930
The most depressing thing is that we were born too late to enjoy an unjewed world and too early to enjoy immortality. This is literally the worst time period to be alive in.
>>
>>19384885
Just a representation of the stress of your problems. Financial stress drives many to suicide so you are probably not alone in the pressures of the problem starting to manifest as a 'presence'. You aren't crazy just under extreme pressure even if you don't necessarily feel it, that's why it hits you as you try to sleep as that's the one time your mind isn't at least partially focussed elsewhere.
>>
File: bullshitter.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
bullshitter.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>19384957
So is child rape.
>>
>>19385124
talk to a priest if you have to, just don't keep things bottled up
>>
>>19384630
And probably is.
>>
File: .............................jpg (322KB, 1908x1436px) Image search: [Google]
.............................jpg
322KB, 1908x1436px
>>19379935
>And that's why we're all scared.
Why?
>>19379930
You act like this is bad thing.
When you go to bed, know that you do a thing which heroes from time immemorial have done. The gift of rest, the gift of death.
You will wake up again, only to rest more.
There is no darkness, no pain, nor suffering, no sensory deprivation.
This is not the end, dear friends. It is coming home after a long and tiresome journey.
Think about it, just before you go to sleep, you are feeling the loving cherished embrace of death.
>>
>>19385271
I have a very hard time expressing my feelings to anyone, except on the internet.

>>19385230
Sounds reasonable, thanks for your explanation!
>>
>>19385294
>Why?
For the same reason I suspect that if someone were to run into your room and start shooting, you'd try to avoid being shot.

I also don't understand the rest of your post. You start of sounding like you're agreeing with OP and then proceed to describe some kind of existence after death, and you say that death isn't the end.
>>
>>19385304
>except on the internet
That's because you live in one of the many, many places that exist in this time period that has successfully lost itself to the sociopathy inherent to the systems they occupy.

What I'm saying is that the people around you are shit at showing they care, or possibly even at just base genuinely caring.
>>
>>19379930
Lol it's nothing like sleep, it's non-existence. Not black, not white, not clear, you will have NO CONSCIOUSNESS. Stop fear-mongering about this shit, you won't even be able to comprehend the fact that you are dead because guess what. ALL YOU ARE IS ROTTING IN THE FUCKING GROUND, fear of death is just for people who are still alive. Once you're actually dead you think you will care? Nope. So why should you care now? It's not something you can control and once it happens it won't be something you care about, therefore it's not a big deal.
>>
>>19385313
to add to this, focus on living rather than what happens when you die. It's a concept I learned when I was 13 years old. If you spend every second being afraid of not existing then you will not have time to enjoy existence. If it scares you that much then believe in god, it gives people peace and truly isn't that bad of a concept. If it gives you peace at night then go for it, there is no harm in believing in god unless you let it control your life.
>>
>>19379930
well yes

unless you can achive the third attention

to give you a perspective of what that is lucid dreaming is pretty much second attention well not really but almost
>>
>>19379930
Seth said something to the effect that the afterlife is very much like when you dream.
>>
>>19385331
Well that would require having a brain, which at that point you would not.
>>
>>19385331
dreams are strange, its ''me'' but it feels like im a spectator , my deep subconscious is in control

its a mindfuck
>>
File: schopieboi on existence.png (20KB, 321x400px) Image search: [Google]
schopieboi on existence.png
20KB, 321x400px
>>19385309
>For the same reason I suspect that if someone were to run into your room and start shooting, you'd try to avoid being shot.
Not the same guy but that's due to the instinct for survival, not a rational rejection of death. In fact if you look at it from a purely objective standpoint nonexistence is better than existence, it's only after we're born that we become afraid of nonexistence due to having people who are attached to us and an instinct to survive that has no objectivity behind it. people seem to forget that most of human behavior is based around that and there's nothing "good" or "bad" about it, it just is.
>>
>>19385312
>What I'm saying is that the people around you are shit at showing they care, or possibly even at just base genuinely caring.

That's the reason I started to bottle things up in the first place.

It feels ''fake'' to pay a shrink to listen to me and feel like he cares either, since that's just his job.
>>
meh.
>>
One great problem with suicide is economic. Every time someone kills themselves, it removes them from the market. Every time someone removes themselves from the market, it impoverishes everyone.
For the market is the system whereby all may seek their interests harmoniously with all. The market constantly rectifies greed into virtue. We seek to profit, all of us! Had we no market, our profit opportunities would come from theft and lies! The market gives us instead the chance to profit by producing goods and services. So long as we are 100% market aligned, greed is good, and more greed means more good. For the higher the harmonic we seek in the market, the more goods and services we must produce. The market is a system whereby we may seek our selfish heavens by the mechanism of bringing their selfish heavens to other people! If we seek a higher heaven, we can get there by bringing a higher heaven to others. That is the market!

And when people kill themselves... they're opting out of that.
It makes the whole world subtly poorer.

Unless the suicidal individual is decrepit or dying already, that is. Then it frees up resources that would otherwise be wasted. The economic argument against suicide doesn't hinge on an able mind, but it does require an able body.
>>
>>19385373
Quit pushing death memes. You don't profit by it. It is irrational activity and it annoys me to watch it occur in my memetic proximity.
>>
>>19385378
Same goes for a priest. It's just his job and most of them are liable to be shit no matter how their faith is manipulated. Blame games are hell.
>>
>>19379930
If a brain is purely physical occurrences and a consciousness is the result of this, then a continuation of a consciousness is a statistically certainty. Unless you put unfounded supernatural meaning onto physical occurrences and cause of physical occurences, within a small spherical volume of matter, you must take into account logical equivalences and De Morgans laws of logic. From this follows an overwhelming amount of equivalent logical occurrences that does continue what ever took place in your small brain before you died.
Therefore, unless you call for the supernatural, you will continue to be conscious after death of your brain.
>>
>>19385378
>It feels ''fake'' to pay a shrink to listen to me and feel like he cares either, since that's just his job.
Different anon here, but I totally understand that, because I get the same feeling. Another thing that really bothered me was how I'm supposed to go into all this dark, soul-crushing shit for an hour every week, and then just be ready to up and leave on schedule at the end of the hour. Then I'm apparently supposed to quickly switch off all that dark shit so I can get home without driving my car into something and survive until next week without having a psychotic breakdown. It's so goddamn artificial. That's not how people work. That's not how emotions work. That's not how things are supposed to be. And when I realized that, it destroyed any ideas I had about therapy ever being effective.
>>
>>19385433
"Therapy" doesn't help unless it somehow leads an individual to realize their own power to quickly switch off all that dark shit. But if it DOES lead an individual to realize that power, it robs that individual of the chance to seek a better resolution of what troubles them!
For if you can turn off your ability to care about problems, why solve them at all?
This is why sometimes even people who are getting good service from psychiatry will sometimes break their psychiatric relationships abruptly and plunge willingly into misery - because they see fixable problems that they can only fix if they stop practicing the dark art of turning off their concernometers.
>>
>>19385407
As much as I don't care for organized religion, I'm going to defend the priest here. A priest, at least in theory, is someone who's decided to dedicate their whole life to the service of God and other human beings. Ideally, they're not in it for money at all. It's not just a job to them. It's a calling. It's a cause. It's something they feel like they were destined to do. It's connected to a higher power. The priest will talk to you as long as you need them to, or at least as long as they're physically capable of. They won't put you on a schedule.
>>
>>19385417
To explain more about the physical versus logical problem in relation to the consciousness.
Two completely different physical occurrences can logically result in the same thing.
For instance, let's say A moves B, B moves C, C moves D, D moves E, and therefore consciousness is caused.
Now, device an alternative route that logically does the same thing;
A moves B, B moves C, C moves nothing, X moves D, D moves E and therefore...the same thing is caused?
What supernatural cause demands certain physical matter to do work (C to move D) before consciousness can emerge?
No answer is given to this question and therefore we can assume that those who claim consciousness is caused by physical occurrences, also accepts logically equivalent occurrences.
When this is accepted, life after death is a tiny question, much bigger problems exists...Such as...why is the entire universe conscious?
>>
>>19385458
>at least in theory
My primary gripe with Christianity, insofar as the concept of a priest is concerned, is that the father/son love symbolism ends up being interpreted a little too literally and literally causes otherwise sane pedophiles to act on urges that they would otherwise be too moral to act on.

I mean, think about it.

"God I wish I could act on this fucked up desire God gave me."
"But I can't, society says it's wrong."
"Still... God gave it to me."
"God, please tell me what to do."
"No no, the Bible verse I just read is totally not saying that I should act on my desires."
"But these desires..."
"God! Help me overcome these desires."
>a trillion "signs" about fathers loving their son later
"I'm sorry son, God told me to do this."
"God wants this."

The fun thing is that the desire never goes away, but the constant "signing" takes its toll on them. No matter how much they know it will traumatize the kid, their trust in God, their faith, overwhelms their inherent morality.
>>
>>19385502
But where the hell else are they supposed to go? No one has any sympathy for pedophiles, whether they act on it or not. Even people who believe sexual orientation isn't a choice don't seem to think that principle applies to pedophiles as much as it does to homosexuals.

But in any case, you can't really blame Christianity for what you're talking about. At most, you can blame the individual and the Church. It's not like Jesus ever said "Go forth and molest children." Jesus wasn't even into organized religion anyway.
>>
>>19384558
>>19385417
>>19380617
>>19385482
>>19385417

If infinite than yes you'll wake up a baby same as before.. yet no memory, taken to next step.. if infinite you'll wake up same as before.. yet with memory.

All said, the only thing that matters in this life is living longer. Think of a problem that is real to you and then contrast it with the destruction of your physical being. whatever awaits.. can wait.
>>
>>19385442
That's a good point, and it's another thing I've thought about myself. If I were capable of doing what therapy says I should do, then I wouldn't need therapy in the first place. The only help it offers is either worthless or redundant. Although in my case, I was confronted with problems that *weren't* fixable.
>>
File: schopie.png (31KB, 662x166px) Image search: [Google]
schopie.png
31KB, 662x166px
>>19385398
>irrational
>this is what breeders actually believe
>>
>>19385582
>It's not like Jesus ever said "Go forth and molest children."
It is precisely and exactly like that, which is why we see so many pedophilic priests. There's even potential for someone without any genetic paraphilias to have enough contact with innuendo to subconsciously form the same series of synchronicities.

They're not supposed to "go" anywhere. They're just supposed to no act on their desires, like all the people who have much worse paraphilias like snuff and rape fantasies.

Desire shaming isn't a problem we're going to end in this time period no matter how we alter the course.
>>
>>19385632
>It is precisely and exactly like that, which is why we see so many pedophilic priests. There's even potential for someone without any genetic paraphilias to have enough contact with innuendo to subconsciously form the same series of synchronicities.
You're *really* reaching on this one. It seems obvious to me that you've had some very bad experiences with Christianity, and for that, I'm genuinely sorry, but I don't buy this line of reasoning.
>>
>>19380363
The mechanics of that system would be too slow to produce consciousness
>>
>>19385650
I have had virtually no experiences with Christianity. I'm arguing from a stance of pure principle, and what has been documented to occur in the more cloistered churches across the nation.

It sounds like you're irked by the idea of variable paraphilias and highly suggestible priests. The latter is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and the former is the natural result of people without genetic paraphilias trying to empathize with people who do have in-built paraphilias.
>>
File: 1495392001615.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1495392001615.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
Except the CIA publicly released a document that explicitly states otherwise.

You faggots aren't even trying anymore.
>>
>>19379930
if you were shown the after life, you would probably believe you were going insane
naturalism presupposes the imposibility of the supernatural
you have put blinders in front of your eyes, to help you forget about you final destination
>>
>>19385716
That's interesting. I've heard that they had stuff about remote viewing and other psi stuff, but nothing that deals directly with the afterlife. Can you give a link to that document?
>>
>>19379930
>Death is the end
>Nothing more than speculation
>No proof
>Claims it as truth

:thinking:
>>
You guys really need to listen to some Alan Watts
>>
>>19385716
>Publicly released
Could you link? and don't tell me to go looking for it. You made the claim so provide the evidence
>>
>>19380329
I'll astrally suplex that lion snake piece of shit and rejoin the godhead
>>
what does "going to sleep" actually feel like? I can't recall ever thinking "oh, I feel asleep!"
>>
File: c17.png (148KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
c17.png
148KB, 400x300px
>>19386028
>>
>>19385309
>you'd try to avoid being shot.
I don't like getting shot.
>because you want to avoid death
No, because I want avoid getting shot, first of all it burns like hell, secondly it doesn't go away, thirdly shock is painful too.
>describe some existence after death
You do exist after death, if there is no metaphysical reality, then there is no such thing as death because OP has framed death as the men of old have, as a transition to the metaphysical, whether it be an afterlife or not an afterlife at all. Either way it is metaphysical. Suppose there is no metaphysical, well you can't really die because there is no (You) to die. """You""" simply change how you exist, not of your own volition though, you are no different than a rock.
>I was sentient
There's no such thing as sentience if everything is deterministic and there is nothing metaphysical, it's a misnomer.
Death is not the end, not for us (see explanation above because we can technically never die while the universe exists because there is no death and the clash of the ancient worldview with the modern positivist one is what gives rise to doubt and fear) or the ancient men were correct in the sense that this life is it and you must live for the sake of living well. That such is what it means to be good, to be happy.
Aristotle knew this, why don't you?
I have had it up to here with nu-modernism
>>19385373
>Schopenhauer
>died with horrible oneitis
He thought reason was monolithic, what a pleb.
Boredom is the potential of adventure and latent inspiration. If the gods were what has always inspired us, it makes sense that to remove them removes the inspiration and creativity, thus leading to boredom.
>inb4 atheism meme
Schope didn't even know what a god was.

>non-existence is better than existence
predicated on existing first, lol.
>most of human behavior
since the """"Enlightenment""""".
>>19385619
>that girl said I was gross and old
>I never really wanted children anyway
You do know he denied chemistry?
>>
>>19384885
Learn to go lucid-meditation, call the angels for help even if you're skeptical about them, drive off your psyche's inner demons who are haunting you, and thusly settle your mind to a greater sense of peace.
>>
>>19385784
i think he is talking about that, if remote viewing is true dualism is also true
>>
Jesus, It is nothing like going to sleep. You fucking dream when you sleep, your brain is very active when you sleep.
>>
what did it feel like before you were born? thats what it feels like to be dead
>>
File: vanity of existence.png (98KB, 671x218px) Image search: [Google]
vanity of existence.png
98KB, 671x218px
>>19386127
>Boredom is the potential of adventure and latent inspiration.
which eventually leads to more boredom

>predicated on existing first, lol.
so what

>predicated on existing first, lol.
you're retarded, lmao, since forever, I bet you think empathy is an objective arbiter on morality

>You do know he denied chemistry?
>hurr he was wrong about one thing that means he was wrong about this completely unrelated subject XDDD
>>
File: eNTzN7D.jpg (837KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
eNTzN7D.jpg
837KB, 1920x1200px
>>19379930
The metaphysical self isn't so easily snuffed out. There is so much more universe than the one of matter that we inhabit. There is so much more than what we're able to observe, measure, or even able to guess at.

I don't believe a personality can just stop existing. Perhaps it stops existing in this plane, but everywhere? In every avenue of of an existence that spreads n-dimensionally forever?

That's just naïve.
>>
>>19379930
>I'm not being an atheist fedoralord.

You're totally being an atheist fedoralord.
>>
>>19379930
Your brain still functions when you're asleep you brainlet.
>>
>>19379930
sounds comfy to me.
>>
File: the-mummy-1999-imhotep-desert.jpg (26KB, 650x369px) Image search: [Google]
the-mummy-1999-imhotep-desert.jpg
26KB, 650x369px
>>19380334
you're welcome O'Connell
>>
>>19386405
>>19386405
>Retard with no evidence to back his claim uses his old meme once again to look in control

Please, please die.
>>
>>19386454
>tells anon to go die in response to being called out for what he is clearly being

You're not really making your case, bro
>>
>>19386459
>Clearly being
>being an atheist fedoralord

I don't know. Just seems very difficult to me to come to terms with the fact that you're satisfied with yourself and what's going on in your mongoloid head. Surely you must stop once in awhile and think "fugg...i'm pretty fucking retarded for thinking this", if not then idiots really are taking over the world and when i mean idiots i don't mean simple, average people doing what they can with what they have, i mean full blown, brain dead retards who wouldn't be able to keep up talking to a baboon.

>hey you! From now on you're going to believe in this because i said so!
>Ok! Sure!

You should be ashamed.
>>
>>19385984
Not the same poster.

CIA-RDP96-00788R001700210016-5

Your tax dollars at work.
>>
File: 60801363.jpg (112KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
60801363.jpg
112KB, 400x400px
>>19386483
I'm not the guy who was calling you out. I'm the guy agreeing with him.

So calm down, faggot. You're getting awfully defensive for, y'know... being what you're insisting you're not.
>>
>>19379930

My fear is that when I die, I am simply going to "see" blackness, and that's it, for eternity, and I will be "conscious". so basically it's like perpetual endless boredom that you can't do anything about
>>
if afterlife is real thats epic
if not then sleeping is awesome

why would anyone be scared either way
>>
>>19380447
What if your brain is then destroyed?
>>
>>19386728
thanks for saving me from having to post this
it's a win/win
unless of course i am to go to hell for eternity
>>
>>19384392
tfw to inteligent
>>
File: 1402552590659.jpg (135KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
1402552590659.jpg
135KB, 1000x783px
>>19385662
okay, so im a chemistry PhD student at a solid university and was thinking about using something like this as my original proposal for my qual., except lets say we use synthetic enzymes attached to gold-nanorods and simple ligands that would induce a conformational shift inducing a current. blah blah blah. So yeah, you can model a brain, and eventually set up a system that its completely analogous, which raises the scarier question. So boltzmann brains are hypothesized just to exist in space (maybe an infinite amount in a multiverse). If this is the case, then there should be other versions of your consciousness that exists, but you dont, so it appears that integrated systems of consciousness dont relay information spontaneously and readily (i.e. no spontaneous jump in consciousness to external bodies of mater). That being said, one can argue that this is dreaming and quantum entanglement occurs when dreaming, but until we can mimic the physical state of your "perceptronium mind matter" to that of when "dreaming" long enough to bridge contemporary metaphysics, dont try to convince me that DMT is a gateway to other dimensions

heres an article you might like
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.1219.pdf
>>
>>19379935
You're scared before going to sleep?
>>
Why would I be fearful of something that I simply will not have to experience?

When my brain dies, so does its ability to process stimulus. I won't even be able to experience the nothingness of death.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.