[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, guys. Evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

Hey, guys. Evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates. So, do you believe that other animals could've reached human-level civilization given the right time and conditions?

Which group of animals would be more likely to be like us? Insectoids? Another kind of mammals? Fish? Octopuses? Let's think about it.
>>
You're dumb as fuck.
>>
Dolphins, bro. Dolphins.
>>
>>19357346
Would you explain why, please?
>>
>>19357354
Good one. Which conditions do you believe it would take for natural/artificial selection to take this species to a whole new level? Maybe breeding them for intelligence traits and problem-solving skills?
>>
>>19357346
This guys thinks I'm asking him if cockroaches will use cockroach iphones in the future. He assumes I don't know anything about evolution and natural selection. He assumes I don't know there are species so adapted to their environment that they're likely to exist in that way "forever". Open your mind and join the discussion, my friend.
>>
>>19357327
no. the argument i am about to use was in a anime form a few years back. it had mechs but also "aliens" which you find out were transhuman humans that through genetic manipulation could even live in space and fight space ships. the pilot of the mech is lost in space so to speak and ends up on whats left of earth and learns the truth as he hlived his entire life up to that point on a space station colony with some extreme totalitarian government like execute the weak

any life form that can survive without advancing in technology wont. humans had to develop agriculture just to manage winter in the northern hemisphere. to manage agriculture other minor advances just to contend with other animals had to be made. man is a frail mammal with no natural defenses and is slow and has poor eye sight. to compensate we developed weapons and group hunting tactics. at this point advances are made to make things easier but at first it was needed to even survive.

other species do fine on their own and have for a long time. their capacity to learn is restricted by the limited need to learn. maybe put into a hostile environment they might be forced to but their anatomy would restrict them as they are specialized.

how many species can hold a object. octopuses are underwater in their lives. they have no hope of learning to smelting metals. theres a giant chunk of possibilities crushed right there
>>
>>19357422
Wow, man, thanks for the reply. I like the "their capacity to learn is restricted by the limited need to learn". Do you mind telling me which anime you saw?

I started to wonder about it because I was imagining how life could develop in other planets, and your reply definitely set me in a very nice direction now, so thanks again!
>>
>>19357473
Gargantia on the Verderous Planet
>>
>>19357327
Probably other primates, but that's a lame answer. If not a primate, the most likely candidate is the elephant. They have the mental capacity for sentience, the only trouble is being able to make tools with no fingers.
>>
>>19357422
same anon thought i might as well post the anime name though i did ruin the premise for any one who watches it after reading my post

GARGANTIA ON THE VERDUROUS PLANET
>>
>>19357384
>he assumes
>he assumes
>he assumes
is he you?
>>
Arguably, other animals achieved "human-level" civilization far before humans did. Ant and bee colonies come to mind. These are both highly evolved animals that live in perfect collectivist cohesion. Hundreds, thousands, even millions of individuals insects working in unity to support the colony.

I don't think any animal is capable of truly "human-like" civilization, simply because they're not human
>>
>>19357327
Yes.
>>
>>19357354
Imagine being a dolphin that has contemplated life as a human.
> FUCK, I'm stuck swimming in this ocean of shit for my life while those monkeys get to build things and explore the surface. I swear next time I'm near one, I'll just drag it down to the ocean floor with my dick. Fuck this shit.
>>
File: mr147_gum.jpg (46KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
mr147_gum.jpg
46KB, 600x460px
Elephants have burial rights, so if we are including cultural evolution springing from consciousness, then the first animal to develop a religion wins the "humanity award".

Dolphin are pretty much underwater cavemen, they have a complex language and pass knowledge from one generation to the next, they might have a religion for all we know.
>>
>>19357327
75% squirrels, 100% mongooses and 95% probably racoons
>>
>>19357327
Interesting question.
There are many many different aspects and events in our evolutionary history that have shaped us to be what we are.
A species would require collectivism, the physical ability to make tools, it would require inter and intra group competition and an often changing environment while also having plenty of potential room to expand that's just out of reach in terms of their adaptations.

I wonder if we were to take a group of apes and breed them for specific traits like intelligence and communicability would we be able to kick-start a new intelligent race.
>>
>>19357327
Octopuses, I think there is some alien like Cephalopod intelligence out there
>>
>>19357327
Niggers
>>
>>19361388
Winrar
>>
>>19357327
MANTIDS

i had a dream and these 3 mantids looked straight at me and communicated some real, deep eye to eye level telepathy and it blew me away. fucking mantids bro
>>
>>19357739
they have a snout, they could just use that
>>
>>19361252
Octopi especially, some have learned how to walk on land. Not for very long, but baby steps.
>>
>>19357327
i think aliens helped us reach the level we are at today.
>>
>>19361919
great now even more competition for pussy
>>
>>19362673
like you ever had a chance you fucking beta
>>
File: 1494040519511.jpg (38KB, 534x664px) Image search: [Google]
1494040519511.jpg
38KB, 534x664px
>>19362861
i fucked your mom
>>
>>19357327
Yeah no shit idiot if they didnt they would not move and just stare into space all day. You have to have a ego to function.
>>
>>19357327
Elephants dogs bears primates being the highest.
>>
>>19357346
I'm smart as fuck.
>>
I firmly believe that if the meteor hadn't struck, there may have been literal 'reptilians', in that the various dromaeosaurs (raptors for those who dont know that word) would've gotten somewhere.

Their skulls show the brain capacity, they were bipedal, on their way to moving "thumbs" and "fingers", and some even had them already, they were career survivalists and worked in units to survive.

They had the vocalization chambers to speak to each other, and are ancestors of modern birds which we've seen in many cases to have rudimentary sentience and intellect.

Crows, for example, build tools with their beaks and talons when possible, the most common example being "hooks" to pull things out of areas they don't fit. They also teach their young, and recognize and remember different animals, aspects of the world, etc, and teach their young that, too.

Furthermore, they had the speed and prowess to do it. They were predatory as fuck to littler animals, and knew how to steal and scavenge from the big ones. The alphas of their respective times, if we're disregarding size and tooth count from bigger assholes.

I have no doubt that a more dominant dromaeosaur like the Utahraptor, or the Deinonychus, would've easily surpassed primitive, fleshy primates given the chance.
>>
File: 1467771169563.jpg (40KB, 823x549px) Image search: [Google]
1467771169563.jpg
40KB, 823x549px
>>19357327
>possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness.
>Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates

What in gods holy name are you blathering about? substrates? did you just pull that out yer ass or what ?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.