[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ here, just bought this on a whim, can anyone give me an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 9781453712962_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg (11KB, 192x293px) Image search: [Google]
9781453712962_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg
11KB, 192x293px
/his/ here, just bought this on a whim, can anyone give me an introduction to Demonology in general?

I've tried to understand it in general but is it literally just a bunch of fanfiction about satan's friends? pls explain.
>>
solomon was the evil wizard in the lord of the rings right?
>>
It's complicated
>>
I will give you information about Demons.

They are Anunna / Igigi of the Sumerians.

Knowing this fact will give you great power over them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazuzu
>>
>>19338084
How does that give you special power over them...
>>
>>19338021

Hello anon, I also use /his/ regularly and know some things about things. I'm not heavy into /x/ but I can give you a bit more info.

What you have there is a sort of "lite" grimoire - a purported textbook for actually doing magic, specifically summoning and controlling demons to make them do your bidding, and then safely get rid of them (banishing). Obviously this is an extremely bad idea to actually do if you're a crazy person who believes in demons and such (or religious), but this is the basic romantic idea which has since filtered into our pop culture.

There are other versions of this sort of text. To my right I have another one called simply "the Key of solomon the King", a different but similar text by Mathers alone, and still another, "The Lesser Key of Solomon", edited by one Peterson. The Mathers/Crowley version that you have isn't terribly removed from these, but it injects the personalities of the editors more (Crowley includes his own poor illustrations alongside the much more evocative woodcut-things).

My understanding is that these "grimoires" in this tradition are in fact not ancient, but fanciful things which date from the renaissance, that is, fairly recent bullshit which is yet of historical interest simply for being old and obscure. So to read these things is to get a sort of third hand account of what was bullshit in the first place. But still interesting in a historical sense! A history of bullshit.

The "72 demons" thing is also interesting in its own right. You can look this up. Modern satanist Anton Lavey used the word in his stuff, so there's a general cultural value to knowing this stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shem_HaMephorash
>>
>>19338498
You are incorrect about the geneaology of the grimoires. They are far older than the rennaissance and derive from a magical tradition which traces to Greek antiquity and possibly Egyptian hieratic techniques. The fact that these techniques were preserved over such a long time makes it much more interesting, imo. Only bullshit in the sense that any religion is bullshit. And religion often offers gems amongst the bullshit which can be said for magic as well. Anyway, it also dispells the christian religious notions often attached to them if they are of older provenance. It's neither crazy nor evil but pagan.
>>
>>19338544
>>19338498
I think you are both kind of right. Most of the grimories themselves originated during the renaisance but draw on and recontextualize older magical techniques that are very effective. Goetia itself is a word for a kind of ancient greek pseudo-shamanic practice. It's not bullshit though, it does work.
>>
>>19338021
OP, if you want to learn more about this stuff it would be worth reading "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires" by Aaron Leitch, it is probably the most complete single text on the grimoire genre and its techniques.
>>
>>19338084
>Knowing this fact will give you great power over them.
You have no power over God and the host of heaven.

It takes more than mere knowledge to wield power over anything, let alone beings you cannot even begin to comprehend.
>>
>>19338602

What you are calling God is the Demiurge.

And knowing who he really is gives me power over him.

It gives me knowledge and understanding of them that you cant match.
>>
Lurk moar.
>>
can someone explain to me who solomon was exactly? Whenever I look him I can only find the bible stuff, I assume its the same person right? How did he know about these demons and how to summon them?
>>
>>19340405
SOL-OM-ON was a title.
>>
>>19340405
He was the magician king who trapped demons in a brass vessel and bid them to build his temple. He captured them to do human bidding.
>>
demons are real if you want them to be.
do your research, but demons tend to follow those who are intrigued by them ;)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.