[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did all major cultures of humanity believed and portrayed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

File: dragon.jpg (625KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dragon.jpg
625KB, 1920x1200px
Why did all major cultures of humanity believed and portrayed the existence of dragons at some point?

Did dragons actually exist? Why did humanity collectively assumed that massive flying reptile creatures shared the Earth with them?
>>
I dont know but you should read Tlon Uqbar Orbis Tertius
>>
dinosaur bones
>>
>what are skeletons and fossils and what would ancient people think of them if they came across them
>>
>>19329352
>>19329354
but they didn't go "oh we found dragon bones it wuz cool"

they went I SAW A LITERAL DRAGON HERE'S MY PAINTING OF IT
>>
>>19329359
But they never claimed to have seen one
There are tons of strange paintings from the past, giant versions of animals was an incredibly popular theme during the dark ages
>>
>>19329343
The dinosaurs didn't go extinct. It doesn't make sense. If the chicken and the ostrich are the descendants of the T-Rex, then the T-rex survived - and so did its food source animals to keep it alive.

And there is a HUGE gap between the dinosaurs and today because of the fact that conditions for fossilization are so specific, and probably up to 90% of all life that's ever existed on earth is forever lost from fossil records due to not being in those favorable condtitions.

So think about a snake. Then think about a brontosaurus. It's not hard to imagine something that looks an awful lot like a Chinese dragon as coming in between them.
>>
our DNA contains genetic memories of dinosaurs encountered by our mammalian ancestors before the cretaceous-tertiary extinction event
>>
File: Saint-George.jpg (53KB, 550x430px) Image search: [Google]
Saint-George.jpg
53KB, 550x430px
>>19329368
>But they never claimed to have seen one
There are actually a number of stories to do with dragon encounters. But the most reliable ones are very likely crocodiles or large snakes.
>>
>>19329429
>There are no stories of seeing dragons
>yeah there are but they probably weren't dragons
Hm
>>
Dragons once inhabited the world alongside humans, until the humans were tricked into betraying them. The dragons were hunted down and slaughtered, because they could not be controlled by the humans. The dragons still exist, they have just gone into hiding, and shall not return until the humans are capable of living peacefully again.
But they are still very hurt by our betrayal. They cared for us and we turned against them. It were the elites of the time (as it always is) who "false-flagged" and certain dragons went rogue and started attacking human colonies.
The actions of a few almost wiped out the entire species.
>>
>>19329343
I have a few theories actually...
>Dinosaur bones is the most boring one and still a little far fetched as it doesnt explain the correlating rich mythology generated in distant cultures generated from mere bones.
>Ancient Ayylmaos, yes, some call this disinfo, but somehow it makes sense to me, despite there are loads of bullshit and speculation in the idea, but some small parts of it actually make a lot of sense. Something to do with some of them being scaly and flying ships that could cause massive destruction
>Dinosaurs werent extinct, they evolved, became smarted, built civilization and were worshipped and even maybe have a relationship with modern reptilian theories.
>Finally, who knows, maybe they did exist as actual flying reptiles.
>>
>>19329509
Daily reminder that the normal /x/ lurker actually believes this.
>>
File: 1419672823062.png (219KB, 817x2325px) Image search: [Google]
1419672823062.png
219KB, 817x2325px
>>19329343
here bro
>>
File: IMG_2312.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2312.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>19329343
Because these things are in Antarctica. Turn the pic upside down
>>
>>19329343
No you faggot, dragons don't even look remotely similar in any of these cultures. Don't you think we would have found evidence for dragons by now? The ancients found plenty of dinosaur bones and needed a way to rationalize them. Jesus Christ anon, use your brain every once in a while. Why would you think dragons are/were real? Are you five?
>>
Dragons are a meta-predator, an accumulated mythos of evolutionary danger. It's part snake, part bird and part cat. The dragon represents the most dangerous creature imaginable. This is the reason why the dragon is so prevalent in worldwide human culture.
>>
>>19329376
Chickens are not descended from the T Rex you retarded fucking faggot. Early birds evolved from early dinosaurs and they somehow survived the asteroid. T Rex and other dinosaurs did not. So you should actually kill yourself for being so ignorant. Why can't the people on this board into basic science?
>>
The human species is alot older than what is portrayed by mainstream science, dragons are distant genetic memories from times when we lived alongside these kinds of creatures. Genetic memories are real.
>>
>>19329343
It's an amalgamation of creatures that threatened us as we evolved from chimps.

Snakes, eagles and cats.
>>
>>19329343
The archetype of the snake, anon.
Long ago, when our predecessors were tree-dwelling primates, snakes were our ultimate foe, lurking around the bases of our trees.
That instinct, also known as genetic memory, has stuck with us across history. It's why infants are still afraid of snakes to this day even having never seen them before.
The theme of the reptillian adversary is understandably prevalent, as it comes from a deep, dark realm of genetic memory that all humans share.
>>
They're the most significant kind of elementals and rulers of this world before the "Demiurge" invaded and seeded his experiment and mockery of creation, humans. Not all went into hiding, escaped elsewhere or were murdered by the invader and its armies of chimeras. Some remained and fought back, some laid down and sometimes interacted with humans. Ancient Chinese stories and mythology ate full of such encounters.
>>
>>19329937
this. epigenetic memory.
>>
>>19329937
>It's why infants are still afraid of snakes to this day even having never seen them before.

this is blatantly bullshit though

children without any previous caution for snakes don't think of them as dangerous
>>
>>19329343
Mayans and Aztecs didn't portray Dragons
>>
Remember, the real dragon looks like a person.
>>
File: 1492477527662.jpg (101KB, 1015x508px) Image search: [Google]
1492477527662.jpg
101KB, 1015x508px
>>19329359
But they also painted tons of pictures of rabbits jousting dogs in the middle ages... I don't think they were claiming they saw them in real life
>>
>>19329343
Vedic myths do not have a dragon. The closest they have is Vritrasura, who was a demon of drought, and who is often called a dragon due to mistranslation and retroactive forced fitting from people with "dragon" in their mindset.

>Vritrasura has the word "ahi" in his descriptions, which can be translated as snake/serpent but ALSO as water
>Vritrasura has no description of his actual form
>there are descriptions of the arms, limbs, and shoulders of Vritrasura in the details of his fight with Indra
>there are no depictions of Vritrasura from ancient works; earliest and most depictions of Vritrasura are of humanoid form

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Vedic-figure-Vritra-Sanskrit-%E0%A4%B5%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0-v%E1%B9%9Btra-lit-enveloper-considered-a-naga-Is-there-a-distinction-between-%E2%80%98Dragon%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98Naga%E2%80%99
>>
>>19330448
And snails
>>
>>19329937
This doesn't apply to Mayans, who considered the Owls as foes (curious it is, isn't it)
>>
>>19330407
The funniest thing about the genetic memory faggots is they think they scientific.
>>19329953
Cool story bro
>>
>>19330465
Mayans are descended from mice, so that actually makes sense.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grLJyqIM8E

I'm just going to leave this here. >>19329343
>>
>>19330455
what is vasuki. Also in my homeland, according to the legend, basuki (another name for vasuki), is the name of a dragon lord who lives in a cave in a forest. He's said to be helpful to human in hard times.
>>
File: IMG_1750.jpg (163KB, 773x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1750.jpg
163KB, 773x1000px
>>19330435
They worshipped a feathered serpent god named Quetzalcoatl.
>>
DOVAKIIN DOVAKIIN
>>
>>19329343
Dragons still do exist. They're spiritual dragons. They've always been spiritual dragons.
>>
File: Apu thank you for coming hell.png (176KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
Apu thank you for coming hell.png
176KB, 500x385px
>>19330806
Most interesting
>thank you
>come again
>>
>>19329509
What 90s fantasy anime is this?
>>
Because snakes. Why people always believe in creatures that look like animals?
>>
File: tenten_vilu_by_el_grimlock.jpg (567KB, 806x1077px) Image search: [Google]
tenten_vilu_by_el_grimlock.jpg
567KB, 806x1077px
>>19330919
And that wasn't the only snake God of the americas.
>>
>>19329704
Shut up nerd
>>
>>19329617
can't see shit captain
>>
>>19330806
Vasuki is the snake you see draped around Shiva's neck. Vasuki did not have limbs, nor wings, nor a penchance for hoarding treasure or other valuable things. Vasuki - and nagas in general - were not dragons. However, the name migrated to Chinese culture and became of their great dragon lords. But then my point is that Vedic culture has no dragons; Chinese culture obviously does.
>>
>>19329343
I'm leaning towards yes. Ancient cultures did have rather advanced technology and even odd similarities worldwide. I'm sure they didn't record dragons for no reason.

Alexander the Great claimed to see a dragon back in 330BC when he invaded India.
>>
>>19329468
I only said that people claimed to see them.
>>
Tfw you realize /x/ tier archeologists in the future will think furries and monstergirls are real
>>
>>19329352
This. And we didn't have internet back then. Storytelling was a great deal.
>>
>>19329617
Mountains?
>>
Theres a theory that dragons are a subconscious response to our past predators. Snakes, hawks, big cats. Theres a ton of links to dive into on vsauce2's video on dragons.
>>
>>19329343
Because lizards are dragons.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.