[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else get super fucking angry about meditation and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: meditation_sun.jpg (129KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
meditation_sun.jpg
129KB, 500x373px
Does anyone else get super fucking angry about meditation and spiritual shit? I've always been "tapped into" that kind of world (seeing spirits blah blah blah) but I've never been able to work on my skills because I can't/don't meditate. I don't understand what people "find" by just sitting still and not thinking. You're trying to achieve "inner peace" by not having random song lyrics stuck in your head? What the fuck. Is ANYONE out there stuck in the same situation as me?
>>
having natural ability at seeing spirits is just a gift. you cant get super far without intense meditation.
>>
You might be interested in this:

https://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/about-tm.html
>>
>>19292858
>Is ANYONE out there stuck in the same situation as me?
you mean suffering from hallucinations and aggression? yes, many people are mentally ill, but it's usually treatable with therapy and/or medication
>>
gotta find a way to enjoy it to some extent. Drink tea , smoke weed, do something that allows you to achieve perfect stillness. Then the layers start to unfold truely
>>
I'm glad people answered. Like, this has been driving me nuts. My boyfriend is really into it and it makes me sad that I just don't understand/can't "get it", because it's something he cares a lot about. I smoke weed but even that doesn't "relax" me the same way that it seems people who meditate need to be.
>>
>>19292887
then dont smoke weed, weed causes me anxiety and i cant relax at all while high. You gotta find a way that works for you. Not everyone is the same and not everyone relaxes the same way.

Just find the time that you're most comfortable and try to harness it and maximize it.
>>
>>19292871
I checked this out and I understand all of that, considering it's what I read pretty much any time I look up information on TM. I just don't understand how, eventually, someone just doesn't have thoughts in their head- and somehow that brings them peace. Why are you not thinking?? Why is your brain not telling you what it perceives?
>>
>>19292895
I'm never comfortable, that's the issue (I think). I don't even know if I've ever felt calm or at peace. I have Tourette's syndrome, so I'm genetically fucked when it comes to trying to be still and not moving. Weed is the only thing that gets it to stop, but it's not really calming me down- just the tics.
>>
>>19292900
you're still just as perceptive as normal, your brain is just in a state that it understands things more broadly and can filter out non essential information. You come to a state that the external world is not as infiltrating as it used to be.
>>
>>19292913
Okay, so that's a different way to look at it. I still don't get what you'll be able to understand after all that supposedly unnecessary stuff is gone. Why is it unnecessary in the first place?
>>
what about when you get really tired or just wake up. Do you have the same wakefullness or calmness as when high/sober/etc
>>
>>19292900
TM isn't about silencing or controlling thoughts, it's about allowing things from the subconscious to come to the surface so you can learn from or address them, let the mind "wander" where it wants to go and be aware of it. At least, that's how Lynch seems to approach it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UHLMVr4vg
>>
>>19292924
jesus christ you sound just like my ex gf
>"help me"
>is helped
>"i dont get it thats dumb just tell me im special"
get rekt
>>
>>19292921
Its unnecessary because there are no means to an end materially. The otherworldlyness of our consciousness is the end all. Calmness is just the start of the puzzle.

Happiness or sadness, joy or grief are just emotions. Simple emotions that just use energy. Once you realize that we are more than just expressing our energy in different ways you will see.
>>
Angry... I mean, kind of. In the sense that I play with anger and practice with it, and get angry about all kinds of stupid stuff because it amuses me to do so and the practice seems to bolster my willpower.

But mostly, meditation is something I'm glad to let other people enjoy. For myself I prefer to fume and dance and strike at the air, working myself through my own emotional range and visualizing fire dancing with me.
>>
>>19292858
I just get frustrated that some people think it's so easy. Like stuff online says "start with 15 mintues a day and work up in 5 minute intervals". My attention span must be shot because 15 minutes is not fucking easy.
>>
>>19292957
just stop worrying about little problems. They are so trivial its comical. Nothing in our lifetimes will be worthy of note post death. Seeing more is the only way to prosper spiritually.
>>
>>19292928
Damn dude it has to suck trying to bring others down all the
>>19292933
Can you explain that last sentance some more?
>>19292938
I've been considering looking into other things like that, but I'm really trying to do this less for emotional purposes and more for spiritual purposes.
>>19292926
What do I do after just analyzing the thoughts that go by? Do people not usually do this to their regular thoughts? That's why I'm confused as to why you'd need to sit down and breathe right to do that.
>>19292924
No, but it's hard to explain. I grew up in an abusive household so it was pertient to me in order to be able to knock out and then be instantly up and productive the split second I woke up. I'm also Bipolar, and I lived with anger that could rival the Hulk nearly every minute of my life until I started smoking weed. So, being under the influence has become my new normal because without it I'd literally go back to being half the person I am today.
>>
>>19292967
*sentence I thought I fixed that.

Also, just wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciate this conversation! It's helpful I promise.
>>
>>19292967
>Damn dude it has to suck trying to bring others down
nah it actually feels really good. what sucks is trying to convince yourself and others that youre special when youre clearly just damaged
>>
>>19292967
dont undercut yourself you can do more and achieve more than you imagine. Putting labels and limits on the future of what you can accomplish will only hold you back. Nothing is out of bounds and what you thought you knew isn't always the truth or ever remotely near it. Start tabula rasa.
>>
>>19292979
I've been trying. Now that I'm finally independent, I've been able to erase (or mitigate) a lot of the struggles that were preventing me from learning more about/practicing this stuff. Do you have any advice on how you came to understand this?
>>
>>19292977
>>19292970
people like this are just obstacles on the journey. A signpost of do not enter. Unworthy/incapable. All more the reason to believe it is in fact more possible than you once thought. Letting things like this skew your thoughts and emotions further deviate you from the path.
>>
>>19292987
peel off the layers of doubt, find their root origin. What does it mean to exist in the way you think you do. What preconceived ideas make you think you cant do something. When you hit the wall what new thought emerges. Break past the barriers of perception.
>>
>>19292858
youre in a terrible situation called "being a normie". forget about meditation and go back to drinking beer in front of the tv, champ.
>>
File: tumblr_okwy1zS9mA1spd0keo1_1280.jpg (691KB, 723x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okwy1zS9mA1spd0keo1_1280.jpg
691KB, 723x900px
>>19292858
You're overthinking things, really.

Meditation is nothing but an exercise in mental and physical self control. It has almost no real spiritual element to it, except an existential('if I can control my mind, then who am 'i'?) point.

The goal of meditation is to exercise your control over your mind. Your abilities of seeing ghosts and the future are not random; they come about as a result of a specific mental state, likely unique to you. Any combination of emotions and thoughts and focus can result in these visions, but there is a combination.

How do you hope to ever find that combination, let alone reach it consistently, if you have no control over your own mind? It's really that simple. By meditating, you develop the ability to tell your mind what to do. How to be. This is absolutely inseparable from any form of magic, because of the mental states required.

Man up and do it.
>>
Have you tried it? Hell if I know how it works, but the benefits were clear right away.
>>
>>19293000
So.... it's kind of like how History is? Things were pretty simple way back when all we had to do was not die and claim land, and then thoughts of superiority slipped in which added another layer of complexity into how humans as a species treat one another. It's a lot more complicated then that, but I'm basically just getting the gist that even though you think you know the story, there's always another link to be made or something along those lines.
>>
>>19293005
Your last part was what threw me off. Does all of that just not happen for you if you don't meditate?
>>
>>19293006
Yeah! I'm sure I wasn't doing it right, though. I don't know how to relax or get calm. Every time I've ever tried to meditate or follow along with a guide, the near exact opposite happens. I just get angry and frustrated, which is weird because it's not at anything in particular.
>>
>>19293005
>>19293016
Hes saying that controlling what you think allows you to achieve what you want. Controlling how you think is also up to you. Achieving the certain state you want to exist at is your goal you're asking for. This is a way to get closer.

Also things do get more complicated the longer down the timeline you allow yourself to exist. They rarely get easier or less convoluted. But try to remember before you had "issues" before you were labeled such ways. Just because you exist in this state now and have for years doesnt mean you always existed with these issues or cant cure them in the future.
>>
>>19292967
>>19293005
If meditation is just mental control, are my fume-and-fire exercises really just meditation? It's definitely about controlling my mental and physical state.
>>
>>19293030
I don't know how I feel about that last part just because I was born with some of these issues. Besides that, I know how powerful thoughts can be and that's no issue- I'm not bogged down by my thoughts and they aren't necessarily causing me harm. Why would you need meditation to think happy?
>>
File: 44973325.jpg (134KB, 800x1250px) Image search: [Google]
44973325.jpg
134KB, 800x1250px
>>19293016
>>19293051
If you have any ability to control your own mind whatsoever, you are awake. If you can stifle your own emotions, remember and recreate a mental state, any of that, you're awake and have trained the ability to some point. This may surprise you(it certainly surprised me) but the majority of the human race does not have even the first inklings of the ability of self-control. Everything they are is chemical and predetermined. The severity of their emotions, what they're thinking about, their mental state and frame of mind... it's all completely out of their control. Considering the dark flavor of our current reality, that can steer people into constant agony and terror.

Horrifying, right? That's why it is a good thing to meditate. Avoid that state by every possible means. It also allows you to reach deeper, more varied, more intense states. Hell, I can recreate the high of cocaine through purely mental means with a bit of work, and that is one hell of a useful ability.

>>19293030
Yeah, something like that. Meditation keeps your mind loose and simple, though. Do it a lot and you won't get that 'mind fixed in place' thing you see in old people. Keep learning new things like you're eight, too.

>>19293035
Probably. Most low-end occultism is really just a combination of meditation, self-hypnosis, and mental alchemy. That's not to say it's a bad thing! It can be very effective. But there is no necessary, direct spiritual element yet.
>>
>>19293063
That's nuts! I'm really young and have had a lot of eye-opening experiences this past year but know I'm very far away from all the necessary connections to know and understand. I never understood why people would always say the majority of the population is incredibly dumb but after working with the public in a service position and also having to read through tons of entry-level college essays, I'm starting to believe it.
>>
Idiot, You know nothing. Meditation strengthens your mind, enriches the body, and refines your cognitive abilities. It's not just some random relaxant. You'll never be able to draw upon your full potential with weak ass undisciplined mind.

what a stupid post
>>
>>19293406
You should always try to help others, anon. Especially when they are trying to grow.
>>
>>19293413
I just told him all he needs to know to not be an uneducated jackass
>>
>>19292858
It's not simply suppressing thoughts, but allowing the mind to fall away through one pointed concentration and thus seating oneself in Brahman, attaining peace and happiness.

If you'll meditate long enough you'll notice that automatically your muscles start to relax. This is an example of the mind falling away piece by piece revealing the state of Turiya. Turiya, or Brahman realization is normally covered up by ignorance, anxieties, lust, mental chatter, and a host of other faculties of mind. When the movement of the mind is stopped, Brahman shines through.
>>
I get super fucking pissed off when people claim Yahweh is the all-powerful all-loving creator of the universe. He ain't nothing but a phony.
>>
>>19292858
i've been meditating for a long time and i still have bouts of anger sometimes when i try to. some times are just not good times to meditate.
meditation is about clearing the mind and quietening the soul, existing in the moment. i meditate to find answers, when i reach point in my life i just don't know where to go or what to do, i will meditate on it.when ones mind and soul is quiet you tend to hear the body, and you will come to know yourself better for this.

also meditation is not limited to sitting in the lotus position, can be any position as long as you can maintain good posture and be relaxed, you can also meditate while doing things. listening to music for some is meditation, doing their favorite hobby for others can be meditation, it all about clearing your body mind and soul of all conscious judgement
>>
File: kenobi.jpg (21KB, 474x338px) Image search: [Google]
kenobi.jpg
21KB, 474x338px
>>19292858
>Does anyone else get super fucking angry about meditation and spiritual shit?
No.
>I don't understand what people "find" by just sitting still and not thinking.
You'd understand if you did it.
>You're trying to achieve "inner peace" by not having random song lyrics stuck in your head? What the fuck.
What an odd specification.

Why are you so upset by it? It almost sounds like you've tried and failed, and so deemed it pointless.
>>
You don't need to meditate to achieve realization
Meditation is your natural state
>>
>>19292858
fuck off anakin, we're full
>>
>>19292858
>super fucking angry
There's your problem
>>
>>19292858
hello OP. I have reached enlightenment by not meditation, but in fact an artifact pendant. I don't know what to tell you desu.
>>
>>19293063
In case anyone didn't notice, this was a direct attempt at loading control codes through flattery.
>If you have any ability to control your own mind whatsoever, you are awake.
Everyone has this. No exceptions. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is trying to corrupt you into clinical narcissism. They do this to convert smart people with independent minds into controlled-and-controllable narcissists.
>>
>>19294385
Most of humanity does not have the ability to act on their own mind. That makes them weak, not you strong. If you can't separate the two, stomp on your ego some.
>>
>>19292858
Well if your talking about straight up sitting meditation, following the breath - the goal is to fully pull yourself back into the present moment, and stay there, anchored.

Sitting meditation can be very frustrating, thoughts, fantasies and memories from the past all seek to drag your attention away from the present. And thats normal. Dont worry about it.

If anything the first few months will feel like your getting worse at it, as you come to realize just how much time you spend in your head. You'll come to realize just how much time and energy you constantly spending - thinking, hoping, worrying, dreaming. Again, thats normal.

Follow the beath, ride out the frustration. If sitting meditation isnt for you then try walking meditation. Nothing super natural about it mind - so this chat about "tapped into" sounds like an active imagination or psychosis desu - or /x/ fodder

GL anon.
>>
>>19292858
The best advice I ever received about meditation is that your end goal is inner peace and silence, however this is not something that most people can just *do*. Start off by looking inside yourself and examining your thoughts. Don't worry about all the inner peace and quiet mind bullshit for now. Just remember that sometimes you have to let your thoughts wear themselves out for them to finally fall silent.
>>
>>19294325
Super curious about how this artifact pendant thing works.
>>
>>19292858

Anon, this is because of bastardized, stupid weeaboo bullshit, repackaged and dropped with new age turd in the west.

The West has its own traditions of meditation. And they do not involve sitting there, finding your chokra, and 'letting go' of whatever the fuck.

Ever had a real intense workout session, where you have put all things aside in your mind, emotions, thoughts, etc, and just focused on putting one foot in front of the other, keeping form, doing and willing the body to exactly do what must be done? Congrats, you have experienced active meditation.

The purpose of meditation is NOT to expand the awareness, and bring you inner peace. That is RPer new age guru bullshit. Meditation is an exercise is developing the mind body connection, allowing the spirit and the form to share and gain strength from one another and be more synergetic. Whether you come at it from a more cerebral side, or brutish instinct, doesn't matter as long as it finds that space between them and bridges it and develops that connection.
>>
>>19292858
Hi there,
There seems to be some misconception in regards to what meditation can do for you. Meditation in its most general form is a way of bettering the self by becoming more connected to the present moment, calming the mind and generating advanced focus in every day activities.
As well as this it also makes you a happier person, almost completely removing things like anxiety and depression from you. While bad moods don't exactly disappear, they are much easier to deal with.
Anger over things out of your control like this would not even remotely affect your day. You would accept that other people do things that are different to what you do, and then you would move on with your day.
People that claim meditation leads to seeing spirits and whatnot fail to understand that meditation teaches detachment from the need for supernatural powers which stems from fear and greed, and leads you to a place where you act out of love for yourself, as well as the rest of the world.
Meditation can lead to a happier and more fulfilling life, but it cannot give you superpowers.
>>
>>19294777
While your general understanding of meditation is generally correct, aside from your reading of letting go, which is simply a matter of releasing tension through inner focus, your general aggression and disdain for others would suggest that you are not somebody who engages in any kind of meditation. Your post reads of anger and hatred, which are emotions that are generally replaced by happiness and acceptance through a regular practice.
I would recommend building to a 20 minute session of simply watching the breath and being present to what is around you. Right now your monkey mind is getting agitated and angry for no reason and you're listening to that inner monologue and letting it interfere with your happiness. So yeah, find a quiet place (or a not so quiet place) and just sit and focus on your breathing for a while, as well as what's going on around you, and let your mind focus on that instead of the little voice in your head making you feel agitated and angry.

Much love.
>>
Hope you hurt your brain while thinking too much you dense fuck
>>
I do about twenty minutes of meditations in my basement most nights. I see it more as a placebo inducing thing. If any of the metaphysical stuff is true, then bully for me. At the very least sitting in the easy pose for twenty minutes is good for my back muscles.
>>
This >>19296723

Is exactly what I was talking about. pseudo Eastern new age quackery, with a good dose of passive aggressiveness passed off as wisdom. No thanks swami anon. I prefer to live in the real world of the now, much more than you, where having aggressive qualities, and not blind acceptance of everyone is alright.

>> Right now your monkey mind is getting agitated and angry for no reason and you're listening to that inner monologue and letting it interfere with your happiness.

Spare me the pop psychology. Also, Jedis aren't a thing, stop trying to make Jedis a thing anon.
>>
OP here!

I took what you all had to say and started trying to work on the breathing thing. I'm still having issues with it, but I noticed that my brain would wander to some stuff in the room while I was trying to lay still and focus on the "four in, four out" system. I'm confused, however, because wouldn't the brain just naturally do that because it's seeking information to understand? The bigger issue, though, is that I just started falling asleep and beginning to dream after a while. How do I stop that?
>>
>>19292858

Meditation is only one small piece of the puzzle in the system of yoga. I recommend you look into yoga. By being able to still the mind we experience great revelations. Also, the more one disciplines the mind, the less one does things like get pettily jealous, or angry, or selfish, etc. That, at the very least, is one minor practical application.
>>
>>19292858
Meditation is not the same as astral projection or necromancy. The latter two are bullshit.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.