[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you make a sort of spiritual successor to the SCP foundation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: SCPFoundation.jpg (29KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
SCPFoundation.jpg
29KB, 1191x670px
How would you make a sort of spiritual successor to the SCP foundation?

What sort of theme would keep it all together like the foundation did, what sort of rules would be in place?
What would it be called?
What sort of setting is it in?
Whats the format, if there is one?

It'd be cool if we could get a successor. Maybe keep the creep factor a bit low and avoid full on bloodfests to keep it from going to shit a little longer.
>>
Why do we need one?
>>
>>19272805
>How would you make a sort of spiritual successor to the SCP foundation?
There's have to be a collapse, in my mind, of the entire organization. Some kind of cataclysmic event that changes the world and makes the SCP methodology unfeasible, unattractive, or irrelevant. Possibly something that can't be contained.
>What sort of setting is it in?
Maybe not a wholly post-apocalyptic setting, but just with the sense that The World Will Never Be The Same.
>Whats the format, if there is one?
We'd definitely have to move away from the "default contain" philosophy, so the whole "continual mystery" thing might not be the highest priority.
>>
>>19272833
Didn't need the first, but it was cool anyways.

>>19272851
Not sure if you mean collapse SCP, but if you do that'll attract shitters. Don't actually connect them in any concrete fashion, won't end well.

So sort of like a gathering of records on the oddities of a wasteland sort of thing?
>>
>>19272860
>wasteland
Not even that. Maybe just something that starts releasing/generating SCPs faster than they can be contained, causing a massive loss of life and basically changing human culture to the point where the existence of SCP-type stuff is common knowledge but, because people had to adapt to the new world, it's still mostly avoided, so encounters are rare. Also at some point (because of the collapse of the SCP Foundation) people started deciding to kill anomalous things rather than trying to contain them.
>>
>>19272860
Maybe the initial foundation would be something like the Abyss Exploration Committee, evolving into a larger organization later on, but not getting to the point of being a global covert multinational. Think along the lines of the SCP Foundation's internal cultures and methods and knowledge forming the basis of the world's new culture, after losing like half the population.
>>
>>19272937
Spiritual successor, not sequel. Don't connect it to SCP

>>19272948
I like this idea, maybe set it so the cataclysmic event left a good portion of the world flooded. Hence the Abyss in the name, a lot of what they do is diving into the new oceans to find creatures, artifacts, etc. Maybe even find some pockets of air through caves, structures, even anomalous means. Can you give like a simple sample entry for something like this?
>>
I like these ideas.

My suggestion would be to base it on Mars, where we've found the remains of abandoned cities
>>
>>19273034
Not sure how to make the samples work. I was thinking in terms of creating a backdrop, something that would allow people to write their own articles, with obviously many more options for collaboration between articles. Also mostly just a way to make SCP itself less... Static.

I'd need to do a bit more worldbuilding to feel comfortable figuring out how articles would be written.
>>
I think moderation and a firmer set of guidelines needs to be in place. Not just to maintain quality content but to keep the entries closer to a central theme, as opposed to the current mess of entirely unrelated events, causes, effects, scenarios, timeliness, locations, etc.

Are you thinking of doing something along those lines OP? Cause I'd be interested in contributing
>>
>>19273099
>keep the entries closer to a central theme
This is critical. Without some kind of setting you'd just end up with the same disorganized mess that makes it hard to connect SCPs together. I think that's fairly implied by any attempt to create a spiritual successor to SCP, so I'd focus more on making sure that there's enough freedom to get a diverse array of stories going than trying to make sure it isn't just SCP 2.0.
>>
>>19273099
Hell yes I am. But >>19273077 brings a good point that it might make it go a bit static so its a bit of a double edged sword.
I personally say restrict it with guidelines though, it won't be as dynamic but there won't much too much shit to sift through
>>
>>19273139
Well at the very beginning there wouldn't need to be any real moderation unless you're thinking of creating a platform for it right from the get-go. It'd only need moderation if it catches on and starts getting a ton of active contributors.

Also: Thank you for starting this thread today OP.
>>
Personally I enjoy settings where one thing has gone majorly shitshape, while the rest of the world kinda fits around it. For example the Zone in STALKER, or Fallen London in Sunless Sea. If you created a strong enough setting, and made sure the actual site itself had stronger curation than SCP, such as a system where new entries have to be approved by 10 votes from valid accounts or some shit, it would work itself out. SCP became too big for itself, catering to too diverse a range of paranormal themes. That works to our advantage, since we can turn entries down as being too dissociated from our more specified branch of paranormalism, and refer them to the main SCP archive. I mean obviously we don't need to go full apeshit nazi moderation but I could definitely see almost a spin-off of SCP, like that other guy suggested a deep sea exploration one, or a space investigation division.
>>
>>19272805
The Holders series was pretty good back in that day, it definitely had the same vibe as SCP and shared many of the same themes.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (112KB, 1200x919px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
112KB, 1200x919px
I think that the game lobotomy Corporation is somewhat relevant here. If you want to remake the SCP Foundation without any of the truly terrible shit whilst keeping true to it's spirit and all, Lobotomy Corp would probably be a good basis.
>>
OP, you should make a discord server or something for this. Your idea has legs.
>>
>>19273226
Yes, I'll lurk an IRC channel about this.
>>
>>19273151
Fair enough, suppose it'd just be here and considering whatever is good/bad to be such.

>>19273219
Eh its a little ham fisted. They couldn't have gone harder unless they yelled 'Totally not SCP foundation' at you. The goal here is a similar vibe, different concept from 'Guys in lab dealing with anomalous creatures.objects in sciencey ways'

>>19273226
Right on it
https://discord.gg/39YHxsS
>>
>>19273226
Carrying on though.

I think there should be 2 distinct sections of this agency

The first: observation / analysis. This is conducted on the subjects that express no real threat to the public, and can be contained with passive measures, such as instituting a cordon or building a big fuckoff concrete box around it. In addition to analysis and comparison / deduction about the nature of the subject and how it relates to others, this group's main objective is to provide the second group with intelligence and resources

The second: capture and neutralisation. These are small teams of highly trained and well equipped agents whose role is to directly deal with subjects identified as active threats by the public or after a report by the first group.

Just an idea of course. But I feel like building an actual agency for people to write with means they can focus on using the world itself, instead of trying to basically make up the whole thing in one go. This would hopefully tie the entries more closely to our parent agency.

Side note, I think having less secrecy about the agency compared to how SCP reveals nothing about itself would be best. This would allow writers and readers to view actual mission reports for example, instead of summaries. Right now if someone wants to tell a story in an SCP article, it's forced to appear as something of an afterthought owning to the format of entries.

Perhaps writers should write as if the reader has a higher security clearance than SCPs readers
>>
>>19273305
>view actual mission reports for example, instead of summaries
Yes, exactly.

>2 distinct sections of this agency
Are you thinking in terms of the observers being the OOC lore keepers, ie., the roles in the fictional world echoing different roles in the worldbuilding process?
>>
>>19273305
So sort of like a police thing, you can have an officer come and check out a break in or something, aka the Analysis branch.
But if shit hits the fan and someone calls in about a madman with a shotgun, send in the swat team aka Neutralisation team.

I like the idea of some being pretty mundane just coming to investigate on the spot, maybe not even going in with any hazard gear or removing the trouble if its not actually any trouble to things around it. Maybe keep the more hardcore guys for emergencies, scarcely used so you know when they send in something more powerful than some explorers with pistols shits really gone down.
>>
>>19273376
Maybe, I'm not even sure what I'm suggesting. I just want there to be a cool agency for writers to feel a part of when they write

I mean think of a military unit right. You have your recon guys and your intelligence gatherers, and they keep tabs on a target. Then if they notice he's up to something dangerous, a team of hard hitting blokes with guns is sent in to either capture him or take him out.

how thats reflected in our lore I dont know
>>
>>19273397
>>19273398
Excellent, excellent. I like the idea of having anyone able to write a report of an event, but if we don't assume success on every mission, then it lets the story lie in wait for a more equipped team. There could be areas that are hard to explore and we end up with a dozen stories before things start to heat up.
>>
>>19273417
Ok I'm gonna step in and say this is going SCP, they already do this. Send in research team, they might die, send in team 2 more equipped or throw in some D class guys.
>>
>>19273426
Yeah, but the difference is having a clear set of resources for a writer to use, instead of just making it all up as they go. SCP being deliberately vague is good to add to the mystery, but it's meant that people just make up whatever the hell they like. If we provide a clear outline of how the agency reacts to a threat it might make the entries relate more to our agency, and therefore our theme
>>
>>19273426
I mean more in terms of the structure of how we generate content, not in terms of the canon narrative. When I suggested "Abyss Exploration Committee" I was thinking more in terms of the AEC being the historical source of the later more concrete organization where the narrative would take place.
>>
>>19273458
kind of unrelated but I love the idea of a committee being formed as a temporary thing, then it evolving into a full-blown agency further down the line as people realize shit's fucked
>>
File: latest[1].png (395KB, 851x470px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
395KB, 851x470px
>>19273300
>The goal here is a similar vibe, different concept from 'Guys in lab dealing with anomalous creatures.objects in sciencey ways'

Most of the characters aren't really doing anything "sciencey" with the abnormalities. They are just used to produce energy, and are kept in containment because almost all of them are dangerous eldritch abominations. The only ones who use them for "sciencey" stuff are the Sephirah, and they are the Magitech super-AIs who run the entire Corporation, so it should be expected.
>>
>>19273626
Honestly I never felt like the laboratory conditions were core to the SCP theme. It seemed like something that sort of emerged out of the need for censorship and mystery, to keep things as anomalous as possible.
>>
According to the discussion that's taken place in the discord chat, we know the following

Our setting is an alternate earth, where due to some form of semi-cataclysmic event, a significant portion of our current landmass is underwater.

During said event, a paranormal force was released from the icecaps, or possibly underground. We're aiming for the theme of misunderstood science. Demons and supernatural stuff like that is off the table, strictly plausible entities in the vein of cryptids and as yet unexplained phenomenon.

The public is dimly aware of such entities, but due to the mass upheaval of the event, have relocated to much higher altitude areas and are therefore naturally removed from the stranger occurrences at the extreme depths of the world's oceans.

However, it is not uncommon for the creatures that now inhabit such depths to be drawn up in trawler nets, or wash up dead on the new high-altitude beaches, as well as cause strange phenomena for the inhabitants of the new coastal regions.

As a result, shortly after the event, the Abyss Exploration Committee was formed, ostensibly to understand and document the new depths, but also to gather information in countering the threats of these entities should they arise.

Now, several years after the event, the AEC has evolved into an administrative agency that oversees the acquisition of data as well as the coordinated response and containment of threats. Reports are most commonly written by Intelligence or Tactical Group agents, addressed to the AEC Archives, where they are processed and submitted to relevant analysts. It is not uncommon for a report to be written by an analyst attempting to connect two reports, or to make sense of a strange sighting by cross referencing it with other similar occurrences. On occasion, an old report by a AEC scientist surfaces, written before it became a standalone agency.
>>
The environments exposed in the event aren't limited to deep-water seabed examinations. A number of large scale crevasses have been opened up, and massive warrens of underwater caves have been revealed, and require large scale exploration and mapping.

The entities released aren't limited to the deep sea either. While the creatures tend to keep to their own depths and mysterious ecosystems, they occasionally rise to more accessible depths, often in accordance with geological or astronomical events, but equally as often seemingly at random. The movements and apparently unwarranted migration of these entities is of prime concern to the analysts of AEC.

Their presence near coastlines inhabited by humans has also brought all manner of strangeness. Ship crews have also steadily been reporting more and more interactions with entities while at sea. The steady rise in the number of interactions, as well as the brashness of the entities, is the major concern of the AEC, who retain the ability to issue major alerts and emergency broadcasts in relation to threats posed by entities, phenomena, or other poorly understood occurrences resulting from the event.

The public doesn't have much to do with the entities directly. The AEC has descended and cordoned off anything usually within hours. Some areas on land connected with phenomena are also marked off-limits to the public, although this doesn't stop the occasional intrepid explorer trying their luck.

In general though the AEC is like any other government department. Information is not exactly secret, but not easily accessible. Public versions of almost all reports are available, usually in full detail. However, the links between events and entities are yet to be published, leading to questions about whether the AEC has answers themselves.

Of course, don't expect them to talk at all about their deep sea laboratories. Especially the three that inexplicably disappeared off the map in the past 6 months.
>>
bamp
>>
>>19272805
We don't need a successor
BUT WE NEED TO ELIMINATE SCP-682!
>>
Observation from participating in the discord chat:

You know, I honestly think that just the idea of having a setting will save us from the dilution effect SCP suffers from.
>>
>>19273300
>https://discord.gg/39YHxsS
See pinned messages for creative stuffs.
>>
have an organization of pro monster hunters that are badass and can kill any threat they come across
>>
>>19273077
Journal entries?
>>
Do NOT let RP faggots create blatant Mary Sue self inserts.
>>
>>19276489
I suggested in chat that we keep character names out of the picture until things have congealed enough.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.