[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A few years ago we bought an old house and knocked it down built

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 20170704_102647.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px)
20170704_102647.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
A few years ago we bought an old house and knocked it down built a new one. I decided to put a rose bush at the back of the house along the fence line.

I dug approximately half a meter into the ground to add top soill because the ground here is like clay. In the ground we found these two Tiki carvings, it was pretty amazing we found the little one first then the larger one. After that I spent half the day looking for more treasure, didn't find anything else.

Anyway we knew the lady who had the house before us she lived there her entire life died in the house, we purchased the house from her son. Who still lives down the road, asked him about the Tiki carvings and he said no way they put them there he grew up in the house which was built in 1962.

The fence lines weren't there at the time. How long were these things in the ground?
>>
Self bump.

Anyone know anything else about Tiki Gods, doesn't say to much on google
>>
>>19240296
What are the eyes? They look really clean
>>
>>19240344
I don't want to pry them out, obviously. Looks like some sort of shelll?

I'm not sure. I can take a closer picture with a better camera if you want, but this place only allows 4 mb pics
>>
>>19240344
You know the inside of shells that have that nice rainbow pearl color, looks like that
>>
Perhaps /his/ would be a better place to ask?
>>
>>19240296
Where do you live?
>>
Eyes are mother of pearl. Anaerobic clay soil would either preserve timber well for a long time, or make it rot quickly depending on conditions.
>>
try /his/
>>
>>19240394
>Eyes are mother of pearl. Anaerobic clay soil would either preserve timber well for a long time, or make it rot quickly depending on conditions

I just want a rough idea of how old these things might be, I mean, the area that they built on in 1962 was government housing, which is now all privately owned, but before that there was nothing here.
>>
>>19240399
Ok thanks.
>>
Do research on the areas history

They look either Native American or African
>>
>>19240568
I called the council they said nothing was on the land or surrounding land for at least 200 acres.Australia is pretty desolate. It was a new development back in 1962, so unless one of the builders put them there, who knows.
>>
they are pacific islander carvings, someone who lived around there probably bought them in new zealand. could be a as old as the 50s but probably newer. made to be sold to travelers.
>>
>>19240605
Wonder why they buried them in the ground. If that is so.
>>
They're NZ Maori pieces. The eyes are Paua, a rainbow/silver coloured Abalone. Definitely recent and touristy, as >>19240605 said.
>>
Also they may have been buried due to damage, for some groups it's traditional to dispose of damaged symbols or jewellery if they had a personal or tribal significance. Could have been a Kiwi, more likely a superstitious tourist.
>>
File: double-tiki.jpg (242KB, 1138x800px)
double-tiki.jpg
242KB, 1138x800px
You found a cheap souvenir. Congratulations.

I used to buy these all the time from Hawaiian tourist traps.
>>
Somewhat related, Maori warriors used to carve masks in that style before going into battle, and it was believed that if they died fighting that are soul would go into the mask.
>>
File: IMG_2755.jpg (218KB, 750x1334px)
IMG_2755.jpg
218KB, 750x1334px
chillin at the tiki?
>>
that's really chill dude
>>
Just chill at the Tiki
>>
Just gotta chill at the tiki, my dude.
>>
Exit my presence
>>
File: 1499210212907.png (634KB, 750x1334px)
1499210212907.png
634KB, 750x1334px
YOU HAVE DISRUPTED OUR CHILL SESSION. EXIT MY PRESENCE.
>>
>>19243678
>>19248619
Stop forcing this meme, it's never going to happen. OP posted real artifacts.
>>
>>19240296

Were they in a container? They look in awfully good shape for wooden idols that have been in the ground for potentially six decades or longer. Anyway, it is possible that someone buried them on the property to ward off evil spirits, or potentially to ward off something more specific, or even to attract something(s). Like a similar concept to Witch Bottles. That's just my 2 cents.
>>
hell yeah bro just chillin at the tiki
>>
>>19249964
EXIT MY PRESENCE
>>
>>19249964
I hope you realize op is trolling and his thread is part of the tiki meme
>>
>>19240353
Hey if you're telling the truth about those tikis use catbox(DOT)moe to upload big pics
>>
Post more tiki
>>
>>19240353
mother of pearl probs
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.