[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does this "stellarium" program know where the stars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (228KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
228KB, 1920x1080px
How does this "stellarium" program know where the stars are going to be?

If it was just using data from the previous movements of the stars how would an event that has never happened before happen
>>
>i dont understand astronomy so im trying to disprove it
>>
Well, I don't think the stars move. They stay stationary and we know their positions by observing them. It's the planet earth that moves around the sun and rotates, so we can tell where the stars will be in relation to the position of earth, because they stay in the same spot. I don't know how to explain it.
>>
>>19222998
>how would an event that has never happened before happen
If you run at five paces per second, I know you'll be twenty five paces away from me after five seconds.
If you are running West and don't seem to be changing, I can assume you'll keep going West.
The rest is more complex forms of that.
>>
>>19223022
You're kind of right, but OP is talking about planets, which do move in relation to the Earth and the Sun
>>
>>19223019
no i follow and anticipate september 23

im just genuinely confused how a program can predict everything like that
>>
>>19223022
with the world being flat and all , that doesnt make sense since there is no rotation
>>
>>19223029
ya but everything would keep running at the same pace and nothing different would ever happen

if you just plugged in those numbers it would be completely predictable
>>
>>19223060
>ya but everything would keep running at the same pace and nothing different would ever happen
well the thing is, every planet runs at a different speed and direction
so you have to plug in many different numbers
>>
>>19223063
to give an example, the dude who predicted Pluto died way before we could actually see it because he had the numbers for Neptune (from other people who looked at Neptune for a lot of time), but sometimes the planet moved "wrong", so he decided something was pulling the planet a tiny bit
nowadays we know of Pluto and many other small objects, so we may have errors in the numbers but they're quite small
>>
>>19223063
but the planet jupiter does a loop around in the womb for 9 months

you cant program that with a simple speed and direction

thats got to be based on something it did before
>>
>>19223079
You can, I don't know how but you can
Mayans could do it with Venus, which has a huge cycle I don't remember (since I'm not an astronomer lol)
you have to look at the sky for a lot of time and be very precise with your calculations though, since planets draw curves and not straight lines
>>
>>19223082
so everything is moving at the same predictable curve but at different speeds but each planet has its own speed that stays the same
>>
>>19223100
what?
Stars basically move together
Planets are unique, because each has its own weird curve and speed
If you look at a planet for a certain time you can learn to predict it, but depending on the planet you'll need to look longer (especially Jupiter and Saturn, the farthest planets we can see with the naked eye)
>>
>virgo
>with child
KILL YOURSELF :D
>>
>>19223104
and how does jupiter stay in the womb of virgo for 9 months but it never did that before

how do they know that
>>
>>19223140
>KILL YOURSELF :D

>Jesus, virgin birth. Derp
>>
>>19222998
>What is math?
What math is, is hard. Very, very hard.
>>
>>19222998
>Do you know how the Earth moves?
>Do you know how the stars move relative to us?
If both are yes, then you can always predict their movements, but because movement occurs based on rotation around the center of a gravitational point, like the center of the galaxy, then the position of the stars relative to each other also changes, which means that it will never appear exactly the same, just approximately.
>>
>>19223040

The stars and planets have very predictable movements, the Mayans calculated their positions thousands of years into the future without using a computer
>>
File: kek.png (137KB, 378x292px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
137KB, 378x292px
So does this play into the September 23rd thing at all?
>>
>>19223656
>So does this play into the September 23rd thing at all?
could be the dragon that the apocalypse says will appear in the skies.
>>
>>19224641
Quetzalcoatl?
>>
>>19223204
Its called retrograde look it up
>>
>>19223204
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_retrograde_motion
>>
It takes quite a bit of mental gymnastics to convince yourself that face is a dragon

Clearly it's the ultimate and rarest pepe
>>
God people go relearn middle and high school math
>>
>>19224842
I thought I was having a stroke reading these posts. This is elementary level shit. The planets orbit the sun in very predictable, very precise ellipses. We can calculate where the planets will be thousands of years into the future with a great degree of accuracy. Moreso with the farther out, heavier planets like Saturn and Uranus since they take many years to complete an orbit, and they have a lot of inertia, so smaller things that we haven't accounted for won't mess up their orbits.
>>
>>19223646

Those crazy Mayans, always trying to end everything.
>>
>>19224850
I don't think you're the one having a stroke

/x/ is a fucking joke
>>
File: 1475165195151.png (10KB, 801x577px) Image search: [Google]
1475165195151.png
10KB, 801x577px
>>19222998
Oh boy, another apocalypse date.

Quickly, stock food and ammo!
>>
>>19226185
Not just any date; the same date that was predicted for the last 6 years except 2012. The sixth one is the charm.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.