[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who would hope a God of any description does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

Am I the only one who would hope a God of any description does not exist? I don't understand why people WANT a God to exist whether he does or not. How does having a being that can do whatever it wants to you somehow give your life meaning? How is it also not terrifying as fuck. Personally I take comfort in the idea that I might eventually cease to exist because its bad enough I'm here in the first place. I mean my life is going fantastic right now but the implications of conscious experience are truly horrifying. So if my soul was eternal and being used by a maximally powerful being with a personal agenda it would be the worst thing I could possibly think of.
>>
You're not going to enjoy your afterlife.
>>
>>19221294
Same here. Also if any god is real it's probably a total asshole as you can see.

Death is comforting when thinking of it as nothingness. Imagine being 80 and having lived a fulfilled life and being ready to say farewell.

Or being a depressed drug addict with no future who could end it all and forever and doesn't has to feel any pain anymore.
>>
>>19221294
It's for his own sake that God doesn't exist. If we were to ever have concrete proof of his existence we would all seek to destroy him and/or usurp his power.
>>
File: predamned.gif (17KB, 500x183px) Image search: [Google]
predamned.gif
17KB, 500x183px
>>19221649
That's hardly remarkable. Neither is most of humanity.
>>
>>19221294
The only thing more horrifying than the implications of conscious experience is nonexistence. The root of the horror comes in with the thought that conscious existence could ever come to an end.
>>
>>19223209
This. I don't believe that there is a god, but I want there to be so that an afterlife would also exist
>>
>>19221294
Good for you man. Believe whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Not all notions of God are painted with the same brush though, and you seem to only be looking through a very limited idea of what God could mean to people. Maybe it's high time you explore more ideas about God and see that there's more to the meaning of God than some omnipotent old man in the sky.
>>
>>19221294
Yes i see what you mean. I come to these conclusions before. Old Testament god is a powerful demon that uses pain to sustain it. Our world is but one of an infinite number of worlds paralle to one another; some drastically diffrrent from one another. However, each reality system or "world" is governed by a cosmic architect of sorts that maintains our holographic grid. We unfortunately for many have Yahweh as the architect of out reality system.
>>
>>19221649
I can't be let down if I expect the worst
>>
>>19223209
Pussy
>>
>>19223209
For me the root of horror is the fact that being conscious makes me vulnerable to literally anything. I can conceive of multiple hells trivially. Basically anything I couldn't see being satisfying over the course of eternity will do. A heaven? Not so much.
>>
>>19221649
Well gee golly my friend i sure as HELL didnt enjoy this life so it stands to reason that the afterlife will be full of shit and suffering as well. Havr nothing to lose, no way to escape. It's Doom.
>>
>>19223209
Roll for nonexistence i hope its nonexistence
>>
File: 1496793567559.png (437KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1496793567559.png
437KB, 960x540px
>>19221294
>>19221649
>>19223209
Kinda similar, but is anyone else not interested in an eternal afterlife? I honestly would prefer just not existing anymore. I can't comprehend how any form of me that can still be called "me" would enjoy eternity, even an eternity of heaven. Just too long.
>>
>>19221294
I'm ok with Gods existing, they have a right to existance just like anybody else, and it's also something interesting to search for.

Like I don't want them to be assholes to me but that's secondary and I hope not as common.
>>
>>19223637
Couldn't give a fuck less anymore

The only reason I haven't committed suicide is not wanting to give the fucks that want to see me do it any satisfaction - they have my tears, before they have my life they'll get my buckshot

Fuck everything
>>
>>19223650
I still love you anon
>>
>>19223637
I like the idea of reincarnation; eternity only seems frightening because of the total boredom, but forgetting everything over and over keeps it fresh. Of course if that happens when you die it also makes it damn hard to prove reincarnation is a thing but it's my favorite afterlife concept.
>>
Not even the God which leaves us to our own & sends everyone to the "Otherworld" a heaven of your own creation.
>>
>>19222087
Your understanding is infantile, and God is not a he
>>
>>19225360
God is not a he you fag
>>
File: Aleins-TheOne.jpg (126KB, 647x677px) Image search: [Google]
Aleins-TheOne.jpg
126KB, 647x677px
>>19221294
>>
>>19221294
i find the idea of god existing to be terrifying in the same way that superman being real would be terrifying. if either of them are benevolent then it's good for mankind. but if they ever snap, or lose interest in helping us, they quickly become the greatest threat.
>>
>>19221294
You're making the mistake of assuming that God would be essentially an asshole human with magic powers instead of a transcendent and benevolent being. You're hearing "God" and thinking of Zeus or something. I can't say I blame you for making that assumption. Religious fundamentalists portray God that way, as do a lot of aggressive atheists, so it's no surprise that lots of people can't see God any other way when that's the only interpretation they've ever heard of.
>>
>>19222077
>Imagine being 80 and having lived a fulfilled life and being ready to say farewell.
That's not realistically possible for about 98% of humanity. And even among those 2 percent, I still don't think many of them would say "I'm glad I'm dying and will never get to experience anything ever again."

And here's something to consider: Why exactly do you think 80 years is enough life? My guess is that it's only because you think you have to, which means it's not really your choice to feel that way. If the average human lifespan was 200 years, you'd be saying 200 years is enough. This beautification of death that you're doing is nothing but a rationalization, a delusion to cope with your own powerlessness against mortality. It's basically no different from what you probably think are nothing but comforting delusions among religious people.

I forget who it was, but I once heard someone say that if everyone's day began with being punched in the face, eventually people would develop whole philosophies about how being punched in the face first thing every day was actually a great thing, because it makes us appreciate the time we spend *not* being punched in the face, or some other nonsense, when the truth is that we'd all love to be free of the face-punching if we had a choice.

>Or being a depressed drug addict with no future who could end it all and forever and doesn't has to feel any pain anymore.
I think that given the choice, that person would prefer to go to a good afterlife instead of having their existence end completely.

I'm so fucking tired of atheists who glorify death.
>>
>>19223637
I can't imagine just existing as one person forever. I'd like to think you just get reincarnated once you die. Maybe your souls stays true and you get to view all your past lives before starting a new one. Who knows
>>
>>19227786
>I'd like to think you just get reincarnated once you die. Maybe your souls stays true and you get to view all your past lives before starting a new one.
If you believe near-death experiencers, that's pretty much exactly how things work. Reincarnating over and over again is like playing different characters in different video games. You get into the role of each character, but at the end of the day, there's still a core "you".
>>
File: illust_58412499_20170611_234455.jpg (438KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
illust_58412499_20170611_234455.jpg
438KB, 1200x1600px
Yeah the idea of an invisible super entity that constantly judges you is pretty spooky.
It freaked me out pretty badly as a kid until I stopped believing in it.
>>19223637
Every description I have heard of heaven sounds fucking awful to me.
I don't want to worship at god's feet or talk to grandma for a brazilian years.
Personally I like the idea of non-existence but reincarnation doesn't sound bad.
>>
>>19227795
>It's either endless boring worship or total nonexistence!
That's some false dichotomy you've got there.
>>
>>19227819
The eternal worship thing is just the heaven I hear about the most around where I live.
I was just saying that every eternal 'paradise' I have heard of sounds like it would be torture after a couple hundred years and that I would prefer non-existence.
This kind of stuff is pretty interesting to me though so if you have a more sustainable eternal paradise story I would like to hear it.
>>
>>19227887
If you're already talking about magical paradises after death, you find it hard to believe that getting rid of boredom would be impossible?

Even ignoring that, boredom is a reaction of biology. We are meant to get bored. Without any body, it may be possible that the very issue of boredom isn't even a problem.

So, if boredom is your big factor in not believing then that is a pretty shitty reason and you're free to be a believer then. Because in any idea of an afterlife boredome should be the least of your concerns.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.