[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is German Idealism and why is this guy freaking about i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: mohawk man.jpg (25KB, 399x249px) Image search: [Google]
mohawk man.jpg
25KB, 399x249px
What is German Idealism and why is this guy freaking about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOk6HB609po
>>
File: 1493320441781.jpg (142KB, 392x468px) Image search: [Google]
1493320441781.jpg
142KB, 392x468px
Read the first 2 chapters of "Understanding Postmodernism" by Stephen Hick. PDF online somewhere.
>>
>>19207039
Thanks.

http://www.stephenhicks.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/hicks-ep-full.pdf
>>
>>19206539
>What is German Idealism
Its big, complicated, and might be crap. Any TL;DR is bound to oversimplify but I will say this: The overarching goal of German Idealism was to develop a kind of Idealism that would not reduce everything to subjectivity as happened with George Berkeley. He had a maxim that went "to be is to be perceived" which was the foundation for his Idealism. The Germans wanted to ditch all that.

>and why is this guy freaking about it?
Some conspiracists have been obsessed with German Idealism for quite sometime. It has such a critical mass that a misreading of Hegel that is directly traceable to David Icke is invoked in just about any big conspiracy theory. Its like Godwin's Law, except with Hegel. Their obsession has no real grounding in anything in the texts. The conspiracists don't have any grasp on what they are talking about at all.

>>19207039
>asks about German Idealism
>recommends a book about Postmodernism
>by a Randroid business major with a bone to pick

Don't talk about philosophy ever again.
>>
>>19206539
>>19209718
98% sure the guy is just shitposting though. pretty sure his twitter name is "kantbot" hilarious video though, everyone seems to immediately think he's talking about Nazism
>>
>>19209718
Thanks for the honest reply. It seems like George Berkeley and his idealism was an empiricist and some kind of proto post-modernist.

>The Germans wanted to ditch all that.
I thought most Germans wanted to have combination of empiricism and rationalism. They weren't completly against English empricism.
>>
>>19210297
>I thought most Germans wanted to have combination of empiricism and rationalism.

Yes. They did want the best parts of both worlds.

>They weren't completly against English empricism.
The important difference lies in what the Germans didn't want: an excess of subjectivism. I get that sounds strange, an Idealism that is realist, but German Idealism is strange.

One of the biggest problems the Germans had with early rationalism was it affirmed a theory of subjectivity that from the beginning called the reality of the external world into question (as in Descartes) and ended in doubting it entirely (as in Leibniz). Meanwhile the empiricists' theories of perception, which were also highly subjective, led to an atomizing theory of experience that likewise undermined our knowledge of the external world (as in Locke). All of this culminated in extreme skepticism (as in Hume) the external world being inaccessible and all knowledge being dubious. It is unsurprising that Berkeley would promulgate an idealism that was antirealist, which held all reality emerged from the subject. For the Germans, Berkeley had taken up everything that was right AND everything that was wrong in these theories, and the source of error was located in an overabundance of subjectivism.

Hence the German Idealists struggled to limit, and arguably abolish, the subjectivity implicit in earlier theories, and with it antirealism, from Idealism.
>>
>>19206539
>involving pepe in this faggotry
god i hate newfag /pol/tards
>>
>>19210465
Yep
>>
>>19210418
Thanks for all the info. Can you tell me from where you found all this knowledge? Did you just read every philosopher his books or with some sort of extra narrator explaining their books?
>>
ITT: People who don't know about Kantbot

and yall niggas call yourselves woke baka
>>
>>19211031
I am interested in German Idealism so yes I read a lot of it. And yes secondary sources are helpful here because the German Idealists have an earned and real reputation for writing text that is impenetrable.

Beiser, Frederick C. The Fate of Reason: German Philosophy from Kant to Ficthe. Cambridge: Harvard University Press: 1987. Print.

--- . German Idealism: The Struggle against Subjectivism, 1781-1801. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2002. Print.

Pinkard, Terry. German Philosophy 1760-1860: The Legacy of Idealism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. Print.

These are some of my favorite secondary sources.
>>
File: 1.MomiaAdulto.jpg (185KB, 957x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1.MomiaAdulto.jpg
185KB, 957x1600px
>>19206539
>Trump it's Kantian.

Obviously, wait a second...
>>
This guy is quite the masochist to say all of that at an anti-Trump rally.
>>
>>19212639
Thanks for the suggestions!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.