[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances there is at least a semi-intelligent race

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 16

File: underwater-humanoid_1[1].jpg (90KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
underwater-humanoid_1[1].jpg
90KB, 600x400px
What are the chances there is at least a semi-intelligent race or civilisation living deep under the ocean, where no one has been or has any idea about?
>>
>>19168687
very high
>>
>>19168687
Very low.
>>
>>19168687
Very possible, but still not very likely
>>
>>19168687
this was a good thread
>>
Bump i want more on this too
>>
Intelligent or semi intelligent race can exist, dolphin and wales are already considered intelligent so, a race with a similar/better intelligence is plausible.
>>
>>19168767
Dolphins are a lot smarter than the majority of people realise. Just because they don't live in buildings and have civilisation doesn't mean they aren't very intelligent, they just don't use it the same was as humans.
>>
>>19168787
This reminds me of a girl I overheard in university saying "Orcas are much more intelligent than humans" when her friend was talking about Sea world being bad, fucking lol.
>>
>>19168687
at this point its still a 50/50 but if you ask me 25%
>>
>>19168687

Slim to none. Can't have civilization without tools, and you can't have quality tools without fire.
>>
>>19168687
Just a theory i heard once, might not be any truth to it.. but apparently once you get down to a certain depth in the ocean, you can have a "bubble" of air that holds itself together by nothing more than the pressure of the water around it.

The size of these bubbles would be the size of a large city.

I dont know alot about physics of gas under alot of liquid pressure like that, so if anyone wants to correct me be my guest
>>
>>19169887
Getting enough oxygen to survive would be the least of your problems. At a certain distance threshold, you'd literally be crushed to death from the pressurized force.
>>
>>19169887

No. The upward buoyancy force and pressure would likely be much greater than the surface tension of the water.

Assuming the bubble did stay together, however, at high pressure it would just slowly dissolve away
>>
>>19168687

Dolphins are incredibly smart, like 10 year old child smart, They even have language, so not completely inconceivable that there are other unknown sea creatures
>>
>>19168687
zero
>>
>>19170360
Take a statistics class, dummy. The chance for anything (x) happening is never zero.
>>
EXTREMELY likely
>>
>>19170378
Based on what data, ignoramus?
It's zero until there is a basis for a probability to exist upon.

If it isn't zero, what is the number you have in mind?
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 640x672px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 640x672px
>>19170390
>ignoramus
KEK
I'm not even the guy you were arguing with but using big ass words to sound smart is obvious. I bet nobody has even used that word in the last decade you twelve year old
>>
>19170573
Still not seeing any numbers, totally-different-anon. I'll be waiting.
>>
Zero percent
>>
>>19170378
Alright, so the chance that your left hand will suddenly morph into a little band of dancing blue men who will play songs for you is higher than zero?
>>
>>19170600
Yep. Granted, that percentage would still be incredibly low, and would be practically impossible, but events like that, when represented as a probability is never 0 because it could theoretically happen.
>>
>>19170634
And yet no figure is given. Nobody who ever posits these things that "could theoretically happen" can show any work arriving at an actual probability.
>>
File: 079072709-Mr._Natural.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
079072709-Mr._Natural.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>19170600
the big bang is an event with a chance of happening that is non zero.

Also. How do you feel about full human brains forming out of nothingness? Are those things people?
>>
>>19170653
>expecting calculations for the chances of a made up situation within this thread YOU came up with
>kek
>>
>>19168721
>>19168728
>>19168746
>>19168749
/x/ is like pissing from an aeroplane and guessing where it'll land.
>>
>>19170685
Nice math skills, anon. How about the OP's scenario? Or any other thing that armchair philosophers love to insist upon as "theoretically possible"?
No numbers, no probability, no discussion.
>>
It's possible. Especially when you consider the fact that they did not necessarily have to be originally from Earth. It would go a long way to explaining the conclusion to the ancient aliens theory. Or it could be a collective consciousness of single celled organisms like the one described in Issac Asimov's "Nemesis". We would never find that unless we knew what we were looking for. It's possible. Unlikely as hell, but we simply have no way of knowing at this time.
>>
>>19170573
>posts bullshit
>gets called out
>h-hey he used a GAY word!
>>
>>19168792
They actually have language. Like straight up language not some bullshit "they can tell what they're feeling from vocalizations" like elephants and dogs. Actual language.
I'm not sure about dolphins though.

Still there's 99% chance no civilization down there we would've seen some sign of it. But intelligence, sure. I mean life started in the ocean so there's got to be some advanced creatures right?
>>
>>19170812
Not necessarily. Life starting in some place doesn't mean they are more advanced. Evolution selects for traits which lead to survival and reproduction. The vast majority of life doesn't need anything close to human intelligence to survive. We needed it because it was the only way to survive because we sucked ass at literally everything else like most other human branch offs. If it wasn't for intelligence we'd be dead. It was the only thing we were decent at. Most life in the ocean doesn't even have the tools to record and transmit knowledge, much less make any kinda tools or other advanced things. They are limited by whatever they can learn in one lifetime while we aren't. Advanced life may be able to go back to the ocean or inhabit it later on, but nothing of human intelligence will spawn from it. At least not in this universe.
>>
>>19170857
As an addendum: Things like whales and dolphins are mammals. They evolved from land dwelling creatures to begin with and went back to the water. They didn't originate there. And those are the most intelligent things in the water.

Aside from that you have squid and octopusses. Which while they may be smart, it doesn't say a whole lot for the sea harboring intelligent life on any large scale.
>>
>>19170573
Are you actually 12 years old
>>
>>19170878
I've heard it postulated that the only thing holding octopuses back from civilization is their short life span
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 800x804px
>>19170737
>>
>>19168787
OK tree hugger.
>>
>>19170981
No. Chimps are smarter and have access to tools and they don't have any real civilization. Octopusses lack fire, a system of writing to transmit knowledge that accumulates, short lifespan, an insufficient biology/language to covey complex thoughts, aren't particularly social creatures when compared to humans or other intelligent species, etc.

It isn't like if you found a way to make them live longer then they'd instantly form a civilization. It's just a way to say they're smart and give you an idea on how smart they are, but a lot of things hold them back.
>>
100% confirmed i saw a moimaid once
>>
>>19168687
Literally dolphins
>>
Dolphins
Whales
Idk bout squid
Some turtle got all huffy and puffy. Ended up getting killed in the race for office. >R.I.P. lil guy
>>
File: csK50Oi.jpg (68KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
csK50Oi.jpg
68KB, 800x560px
On an unrelated note, this picture of a dolphin mysteriously appeared on my friend's computer
>>
File: 133.jpg (72KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
133.jpg
72KB, 900x600px
>>19170990
>>
Pretty sure there's 3 or 4 Murmaiders down there.
>>
File: advanced form of dolphins.jpg (134KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
advanced form of dolphins.jpg
134KB, 500x484px
>>19168687
I always had this hypothesis that there's a more advanced form of dolphins, somewhere out there, just like there's a more advanced form of monkeys.
>>
>>19168787
No, this is a fucking myth. Dolphins are as smart as a pet dog. The fact of being super intelligent is a popular myth that was born in the twentieth century by the researches of a mad scientist who used LSD to try to communicate with animals.
>>
Of course there are. Humans can't get to space without high tech equipment. These sea beings can't breathe on land. once they become smarter they may voyage more outside thier world
>>
>>19168687
who cares they can't breathe on land
>>
RAEP CAVE
>>
I wish there was an octopus civilization under water
>>
File: The_Trench.jpg (129KB, 410x441px) Image search: [Google]
The_Trench.jpg
129KB, 410x441px
I'd like to think that it's possible, but even if there was a civilization that could survive under the immense pressure and harsh conditions of the dark depths of the unknown I'm not sure we'll even be capable of discovering each other for many many years to come.

Plus imagine how fucking terrifying they would look, us being human we would probably try to kill them or run the moment we saw them anyway. Diplomacy would be impossible for very long time.
>>
>>19170634
No, something like that would be 1/100 to the power of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000, just because something is a statistical possibility, the probability of it happening is 0.
>>
>>19170857
>Not necessarily. Life starting in some place doesn't mean they are more advanced.

Exactly, just look at Africa
>>
>>19171396
Dude, dolphins even have names for each other. They are pretty smart. Look it up.
>>
>>19168728
too slow
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 290x174px
>>19171938
>>
>>19168792
I buy that orcas are more intelligent than whatever life form made this post.
>>
File: 1485131841612.jpg (91KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
1485131841612.jpg
91KB, 407x405px
>>19170573
See? Proof that sea life can be more intelligent than a person... or whatever posted this.
>>
File: 1399869952117.jpg (87KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1399869952117.jpg
87KB, 1280x853px
>>19171396
>twentieth century by the researches of a mad scientist who used LSD to try to communicate with animals.

citation needed

Actually it isn't. I don't need anyone else to tell me you're full of shit.
>>
>>19172061
You got a source to that uh.. picture....
>>
There's really no reason to believe that is the case, OP. Just because nobody has been there doesn't mean X or Y can be found there. As a matter of fact, because X or Y hasn't been found anyone that people HAVE been, it's justifiable to believe that X and Y will not be found where we have yet to visit. It's similar to how Christians believe there is a God simply because WHY NOT LOL
>>
>>19172061
Dont dolphins have cerebral cortexes like elephants
>>
>>19170768
But anon, did you or did you not use a gay word?
>>
>>19170293
The bubble would rise if it were the size of a city.
>>19169887
Gas surrounded by liquid is a bubble. Don't over-think it.
>>
>>19169887
>bubble cities

Time to fund this shit
>>
>>19170390
>>
I feel like i read something somewhere that said if humans were extinct, octopuses, if given the time, would likely become the next intelligent land species to rival homo sapiens' level of advancement.
>>
>>19172256
Meesa no thinkin so, Annie.
>>
>>19171401
I agree
>>
Dolphins have highly developed brains. It's also been shown that their language is very complex, like human language levels of complex. They have sex for pleasure, form family groups with clans, work together to hunt, and can communicate desires and emotions. The main limiting factor behind development of a full blown civilization for dolphins is the fact that water is the perfect medium for life. The ocean acts as one giant audio amplifier (they can communicate already over long distances), there is an abundance of food and resources for them, and they can easily migrate across cast distances on very little energy. Why would evolution need to occur that would encourage them to develop a civilization when all of the conveniences of civilized life already exist in their habitat?

Octopuses are cool because they have distributed brains. Basically large amounts of brain tissue resides in their tentacles and body structures. This is a sharp contrast to other species which usually have a more centralized model of brain and nerve cells. They are intelligent but in a very different way than other species. They can perform complex movements and replicate patterns better than we can simply because they have a greater control over their own bodies.
>>
>>19172262
>octopuses, if given the time, would likely become the next intelligent land species to rival homo sapiens' level of advancement

Not likely. Other apes are more likely to do so. When you consider two things about octopus. They have incredibly sophisticated brains that are designed for spacial memory, to get food. And their entire physiology is designed for buoyancy, going so far as to have multiple hearts and brains. Not to mention reproduction takes most species of the genus, the remainder of their lives. Because they starve to death protecting their brood, and the males are generally eaten after reproduction.

So no.

>lol the chapta was lobster
>>
>>19170378
What is the probability that if I push an object it will go towards me?
>>
>>19168687
Extremely High
The ocean remained more intact than the land when the Dino Meteor hit.
It hit in the Atlantic
The Pacific remained more intact than anywhere else on the planet.
The water creatures have had much, much more time to evolve than us ladies.
Highly likely.
>>
>>19172758
*****Landies Fuck me in the ass
>>
File: 81BzVFdcNWL.jpg (279KB, 1524x2339px) Image search: [Google]
81BzVFdcNWL.jpg
279KB, 1524x2339px
>>19168687

I don't think it's very likely and here's why:

On the land, the most intelligent animal is almost certainly the humans. And there is a very clearly defined scaled of intelligence in all land animals.

At the very bottom of the ocean there is no such scale. There are no semi-intelligent creatures down there; they're all dumb as bricks with super slow metabolisms.

Pic related.
>>
>>19168687
very very high
as a probability, 1
there's actually more than one
Two that i can name off the top of my head are called Dolphins and Octopi
>>
>>19171401
I don't know man, supposing a civilisation was created deep under the sea I don't see how they could get to any form of technology, they would be something like neanderthal men
>>
>>19172419
Have you seen the Mimic Octopus that can pretend to be different types of fish, starfish, etc? Insane.
>>
>>19173216
>No Semi Intelligent creatures
Dolphins? Octopus? Wales?
>>
>>19173908
They probably would think the exact same about creatures on land
>>
>>19169804
>fire
>in the ocean
>>
>>19168792
she wants to get gangbanged by orcas and dolphins
>>
>>19170764
>a collection of cells forming an organism
It's called a multicelular creature
>>
>>19171353
Harty kek this is a new level of autism
>>
>>19172262
That was in The Future Is Wild.
>>
>>19172269
Wesa no liken da Naboo. Dey tink dey so smarty. Dey tink dey brains so beeg.
>>
>>19170634
The statistical chance of something impossible is zero
Please don't post again until you turn 18
>>
File: 1497727558124.jpg (32KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
1497727558124.jpg
32KB, 600x428px
>>19168687
The invasion is over. They're already among us.
>>
>>19173216
Sea Level
>>
>>19169804
Liquid hot magma.
>>
>>19170315
r u srs im scared
>>
>>19168687
>>19168721
>>19168728

Stop this argument right now, images speak louder than words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWodAv1KHaM
>>
arent there colossal fish that survive in deep ass waters. and boneless fishes that can survive under incredible amounts of water pressure because they're invertebrate.

imagine if one of those fuckers gets smart, dwells and thrives in the unreachable bottoms of the ocean. scurry shit.
>>
>>19171938
Funny, but I get your point. Species that branch out from their home area tend to be more adaptable (no, this doesn't apply to humans for a variety of reasons). Think bees. Killer bees are great at making honey and being aggressively defensive of their hive, but they suck at surviving in any climate that isn't hot since they lack the ability to hibernate during the winter.

This is why invasive species are an issue, even if the change occurs naturally. Because on one hand you have species (native ones) unfamiliar with this new animal, and you have an animal that tends to adapt very well to other climates and animals. The only invasive species that are gonna survive are the smarter and more adaptable ones. There tend to be various tradeoffs as species evolve and become more acclimated to a new area.
>>
>>19168687
There's no one down here, don't worry about it.
>>
File: Dolphin_man.gif (158KB, 498x377px) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin_man.gif
158KB, 498x377px
>>19171353
>>
>>19168687
I've no evidence, seen no evidence, but I don't feel quite right in ruling out the possibility entirely. Let's pretend for a minute that an intelligent species did exist deep below. There isn't any legible documentation or reports to confirm said species. That being said, they would either be hidden very well or have some sort of camouflage whether it be synthetic or natural. It would also mean, that they are governed by the same laws of pressure that we are, but perhaps reversed? We can't go down there, normally so maybe they couldn't possibly come up here normally. Depending on the range of intelligence, perhaps "they" or whatever would find it beneficial to never be discovered. But yeah, this probably isn't the case for a number of factors. But then again, we shouldn't assume that the same restrictions that govern us would even impact them at all. Dunno, man. No sense wasting time on it, unless you're manning an expedition soon or some shit.
>>
>>19168687
>trying to flim flam the zim zam
You simply cannot
>>
>>19172061

Here you go, roodypoo.

Go get my fries while you read this...unsalted...i want you to have to make them fresh. That's what you get for being a lazy Nigger.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Howe_Lovatt
>>
>>19170746
God I fucking love math. I wish I understood it.
>>
>>19172758
There were many other mass extinctions through history and I believe the first one took mostly ocean life.
>>
Theme for the thread
https://youtu.be/tkzY_VwNIek
>>
>>19170293
What if you found a roughly V-shaped oceanic trench, then froze a layer of water solid over the top of the V, capping it, then pressurizing the inside of the V to surface atmospheric pressures? Would such an ice roof hold up to pressure at the bottom of the ocean, being solid, if it was thick enough, and/or mechanically supported from within the trench?

Alternately, why not just build an airtight metal roof and walls over and inside such a trench, sealing some atmosphere inside?
>>
There is no light or heat from the sun deep in the ocean, meaning there is much less 'energy' available for an ecosystem to use. Since brains use a lot of energy, it is pretty unlikely that something intelligent is down there, since building tools or doing philosophy wouldn't help something that lives in the dark and has no resources to experiment with.
>>
File: sabana.jpg (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
sabana.jpg
13KB, 400x400px
>>19170573
>considers ignoramus a big word
>wew
>>
>>19168687

There is evidence the ocean itself may have some form of awareness.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ztp3s_through-the-wormhole-s05-e05-does-the-ocean-think_tech
>>
>>19173957

>Wales
>Semi Intelligent
Aye, boyo
>>
>>19177280
At that depth, water is already below freezing temp. It doesn't freeze because there's too much dissolved solids. So you would have to desalinate/filtre the water then freeze it then erect it. Might as well make glass.
>>
>>19177525
disregard i sucks cocks

The temp is a couple degrees above freezing.
>>
>>19168687
pretty low judging by the dact that there is no intelligent life on the surface
>>
>>19168687
They already exist but in the seas on the other side of the ice wall
>>
>>19178512
Gtfo ET
>>
>>19174282
Lliquid Hot Mmmagma
>>
>>19173989
thats the point retard.

I swear to god /x is a board with the lowest average IQ on 4chan.
>>
>>19173989
there are volcanos... underwater.. you know that right
>>
>>19168687
33% they are there
33% not there
33% both there and not, in a quantum state.
>>
>>19172107
Considering how forced your concluding statement is, the rest of your comment is innvalid simply because it's reasonable to believe you made it simply for the sake of making your concluding statement. You're also wrong on all fronts anyway. Nice.
>>
>navyfag here
>friends with sonar tech's
they swear they can Identify buildings under the ocean bottom, like rectangular shaped rooms connected by hallways and shit.
inb4 sonar tech's are paranoid audiophiles
>>
>>19172107
I somewhat agree but don't fucking capitalize variables, it's justifiable to believe you're an idiot
>>
>>19178748
>implying another totally different specie who never met the modern world would build shit exactly like us
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.