[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, we're here today to discuss the validity of using l

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_261897.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_261897.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
So, we're here today to discuss the validity of using language to describe the central idealization of enlightenment- and to post this Discord invite, for other occultists or philosophers to join up and engage in jolly cooperation.

https://discord.gg/CURvRmp

So, what do you think?
>>
>>19108867
so your not talking about enlightenment, but rather if language is good enough to talk about it...?
>>
>>19108882
We're trying to elaborate on the function of language through human consciousness in order to achieve enlightenment
>>
>>19108867
Bump
>>
I forget where exactly but in the tripitaka the buddha explains his method of discourse as either throwing out his interlocuters terms or reappropriating them with the goal of pointing in the right direction. Something along those lines at least, this is from memory which aint so good.
>>
>>19109058

I've also read that many philosophers preferred the method of using "leading questions" to manipulate the perspective of a student, so they'd have a more precise understanding of the flaws inherent to certain ideologies.
>>
>>19108867

BUMP
>>
>>19109162

If not language how would you describe enlightment and how would you teach it to someone else?
>>
>>19109168

Probably not through direct language- perhaps by not the differences between enlightened and unenlightened thinking.
>>
>>19108867
Human language is very nuanced and has many multiple meanings to words depending on context.

Another part of the problem with our language, especially in English, is that many people do not take the time to learn their own language properly. Thus, you get idiots using words they do not understand and as a result this generates confusion.

Our vocabulary needs to be upgraded, not simplified (as some would have you think). We also need to focus more on actually helping children understand language and its various uses. I know many people who do not understand metaphors, for example. Or they have little-to-no reading comprehension.

The fact that we have to use TL;DR is a symptom of the deliberate dumbing down of our youth. I see problems I do not know how to fix under our current regime, and I hope that something changes soon..
>>
>>19109216

I see nothing I disagree with.
>>
>>19109216

Actually TL;DR are very usefull, they make a needlessy long statement very short, why using so many words if you could say the same thing more swiftly? What english lacks is the emotion behind words so when you read it you can't interpret it properly. Spoken language is a totally different thing, tho it takes some sensibility from the listener.
>>
>>19109216

I totally agree with you about the ignorance of the people, but enlightment is not for everyone. [at least for now]
>>
>>19109301
Needlessly long you are saying, is a comfortable reading experience to me. Depending on the writing abilities of the person composing their various internet postings, of course.

However, it is hard to find things that read in an easily understandable format these days. So many people do not structure their thoughts in an organized manner..

TL;DR is for people who dont like to read, and also a way of summarizing something that is difficult to comprehend for those with low reading skill.
>>
>>19108867
http://www.ithkuil.net/
>>
>>19109390

You probably shouldn't judge this topic just with your point of view, i get what you are saying but there's more.

You want to read or listen to something that is beautiful and pleasing but that is not how comunication works most of the times.

BTW how would you explain enlightment and how to get there to me?
>>
>>19109403

This is pretty fucking amazing, man.
>>
>>19109449
I try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjZXmJJc2Gs
>>
>>19108867
Words can describe every aspect of eating honey except what it's like to eat honey.

>>19109168
Ultimately, there must be a moment of faithful acceptance. Even with a scientific claim, you must accept enough to retry their experiment to see for yourself. I can't give you realizations, but I can tell you how I got mine, and give you the chance to attempt the same.

On the other hand, I know a Tibetan Buddhist who seems to successfully merge his philosophy with martial arts. Nothing teaches you to be mindful, to be here now, to PAY ATTENTION better than a guy trying to punch you in the face.

>>19109390
I consider both beneficial. The needlessly long is also exquisitely detailed, giving nuance to the simple message of the tl;dr. The summary, otoh, gives you a thematic anchor so as not to get lost in technical jargon. It has replaced the 5th paragraph in classic 5 paragraph essay form.
>>
>>19109407
Englightenment, in my understanding, is dissolution of the individual ego (ego being the part of you attached to the material world), and instead being filled with a feeling of unity with all that lives. I would call the latter "collective ego" or "hive mind" but those phrases have negative connotations.

As to how to get there... I cannot say for sure. I do not intend on purposefully trying to attain this personally, at least not yet. I have other things to take care of first, ya know?
>>
>>19109700
What you stated, that would be the ideal use of the TL;DR. However, that is sadly not how I see it used in many instances.

I will admit I was being a bit of an ass in my previous reply. You are right about there being value in both long and short versions of communication. However, I observe many people simply being lazy in their reading and writing. There is no excuse for that other than our education system failing us.

I personally believe that anybody can speak and think in a sophisticated manner if they choose. It just takes a certain level of interest in it. I happen to love language :^)

Where would we be without meaningful and comprehensible exchange of ideas?
>>
>>19108867
"Enlightenment" is to fully build and refine the etheric body; it is a complete awareness and thus control of the four bodily ethers.
>>
>>19109889
Ethers are a fancy idea. Nothing more.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.